PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate the chilipeppers?

thedudeowner
01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Man, The Chilipeppers are one of the greatest bands out there... these days everyone is emo or indie and someone needs to backhand them into another dimension... Well maybe just the emo kids, but shit! quit hatin on the peppers

sighlent
01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
some people like bands that make new music, not remake the same album over and over and over with lyrics that make absolutely no fucking sense.

bigc1
01-24-2007, 07:52 AM
never heard of em

shotglass75
People are over them. The music they put out last year is the exact same as 5-6 years ago. We are tired of them. Let's get a break and then see what they do in a few years. A world tour last year kinda took the wind out of the sail as far as headlining coachella goes.

dualmoodswings
Why Not?

ayates
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCliDUJQ90

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 08:11 AM
If they make one more goddamn song about california.....

windscreen
01-24-2007, 08:20 AM

LOL I was gonna say the same thing.

fober
01-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Because Kiedis is tonedeaf.

gazercmh
01-24-2007, 08:28 AM
yeah, they're just milking a formula and have been doing it for too long.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2007, 08:39 AM
We hate them because they keep posting that they think Daft Punk is coming back this year.

Good Days Last
01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
I had a chance to see them A couple years ago in Vegas...
for the free centennial concert thing. but i shold my tickets.
so I personally are inteerested to see their live show.

clincher
01-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Who are the "Red Hot Chili Peppers" and why are the a headliner? Are they that popular?

joppy-slow
01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
they are some band our of California that sings some songs about California...

they had that song 'Rollercoaster' and 'Under the Freeway' back in the 90's..

here is a taste of what you'll get at coachella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu7bTZT5VUw&mode=related&search=

full on idle
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik were seminal albums to me as a teenager.

bug on your lip
01-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Because Kiedis is tonedeaf.

no shit.

i absolutely loved "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", but Under The Bridge was the death knell for this band. Because that song was such a hit Keidis got the impression he could sing. HE CAN'T !
so instead of anymore fun punk/rap songs since Blood Sugar we've had 15 years of Under The Bridge Part Deux.

KEIDIS, YOU CAN'T SING

soulfly_42
01-24-2007, 09:12 AM
some people like bands that make new music, not remake the same album over and over and over with lyrics that make absolutely no fucking sense.

Keep on soul serchin my friend it will hit you and when it does you then understand what the fuck they talking about...

ghettojournalist
01-24-2007, 09:13 AM
while the non-singing has lengthened their career, it has also diminished the popularity and good influence on current music.
early peppers is gold.
but this coming from a fishbone fan.

soulfly_42
01-24-2007, 09:14 AM
LOL I was gonna say the same thing.

stupid its not about CAL I FORN IA!!!

sighlent
01-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Keep on soul serchin my friend it will hit you and when it does you then understand what the fuck they talking about...

some how i would take you more seriously if you looked like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/GaryColeman.jpg/197px-GaryColeman.jpg

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't think anyone is doubting their interesting formative years, but since the late ninenties (if not earlier) they have been utter and complete shit. If we could somehow get Flea, John and Chad to play alone with guest singers it would be far more interesting.

full on idle
01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
They should just play John Frusciante songs.

smokealotapotamus
01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Lets just have Flea up on the mainstage Jammin out for an hour instead of the Peppers.

ghettojournalist
01-24-2007, 09:33 AM
why not have flea and frusciante play with the mars volta instead?

staggerlee
01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Just curious as to how many people who are konocking the peppers have seen them live in the past few years. I'm by no means a massive fan but saw them live in Manchester last year and they played a great set, only 3 songs from the current album and a lot of older material.

Most of all I found out what a great guitarist Frusciante is, one of the best rock guitarists on the circuit today.

DSN1138
01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
rhcp are not one of my favorite bands but i did recently see them live and the were very impressive they are all amazing artist..i respect them even though its not really my kind of music.

bug on your lip
01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
they are so dull live
sooooooooooo dull

they have one of most disappointing "live" sounds i have ever heard.
i love flea, but even he can't save the weak vocals and limp guitar they mix at their shows
it is utterly horrible
i saw them just last year, only a handful of old songs
and for the 1st 10 minutes there was at least 10,000 people chanting "turn it up, turn it up"

Cyndella
01-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Saw them last year - had a great time. I like the California tunes, (I'm a California Gal), like the drug songs, (I'm an ex-junkie :o). And John Frusciante is as good as he looks.

durrrrrrrrdee
01-24-2007, 10:26 AM
i <3 the chilli peppers. always good stuff coming from these guys. they are great, they are just not in the "in crowds" cd player but you know if it came on the radio they'd be jamming.

Rezzo
01-24-2007, 10:29 AM
the arcade fire should be headlining the second night, the chili peppers are just boring

full on idle
01-24-2007, 10:32 AM
John Frusciante is so beautiful.
Sooooooooooooooo beautiful.

thevoice
01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
i think that their so popular just because they made groundbreaking music ten years ago and people just respect them for that and go along with um. i myself and a HUGE fan bescause they make great songs. each album is a little different, stadium was the album to show off some Johns guitar skill while on By the Way he took a back seat to accommodate for song structure. same thing can be said for U2 and all those other old mega bands. people are going to be fans of a band weather or not if they were with them since the beginning or happen to like the latest single. bottom line is that they make great music and people want to see them live, it is up to them to dislike their set or not, i thought they were great at the winnie roast

tiffdud41
01-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Lets just have Flea up on the mainstage Jammin out for an hour instead of the Peppers.

now, that would be interesting. I'd also like to see the cast of the big lebowski hangin' out up there with him...just for the fun of it and the awesome photo op

Just curious as to how many people who are konocking the peppers have seen them live in the past few years. I'm by no means a massive fan but saw them live in Manchester last year and they played a great set, only 3 songs from the current album and a lot of older material.

Most of all I found out what a great guitarist Frusciante is, one of the best rock guitarists on the circuit today.

I've seen 'em...august 06 in phoenix. I enjoyed the hell out of the show, but, to me, they just don't seem right to be headlining. I feel like they just don't deserve it.

M Sparks
01-24-2007, 10:57 AM
no shit.

i absolutely loved "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", but Under The Bridge was the death knell for this band.

Heh...yeah, they hit their peak and low point with the same album.

I saw them when that album had just come out. I had gone to see Nirvana, who were opening for them. After Nirvana, we almost left. My friend said "Wait, Flea is in the Chili Peppers...that might be cool." So we stayed to see Flea. Eh...I hadn't heard "Blood Sugar..." yet. They did the whole damn album, and maybe 3 or 4 older songs.

I still pull out "Mother's Milk" every once in a while. I don't think it's that most people hate them...they just don't care. If they weren't in that top slot, people wouldn't be talking about them.

suprefan
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
the arcade fire should be headlining the second night, the chili peppers are just boring

Half the crowd is going to leave after Arcade Fire what you worried about? IMO Chili Peppers were the "safe" headliner choice, because they couldve got Smashing Pumpkins and nobody would be really complaining about the headliners because 1 repeat out of the lot isnt so bad since its a good one.

ProEdge
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Why does everyone hate the chilipeppers?I was wondering the same thing. I mean I'm not a huge fan of theirs but I do like and respect their music. Oh well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

SometimesNJ
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM
look at the environment you're in..coachella is full of pretentious indie hipsters. and the chili peppers are the most mainstream act on the list..of course theyre gonna get torn apart, especially on the boards. personally, i respect them, i would just rather see someone else headline.

Barry Manilow's Nose
01-24-2007, 11:21 AM
don't understand the hate myself. I'm looking forward to both RHCP and Arcade Fire that evening.

brittany
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
i was tripping when i went to the tmv/rhcp show, and once rhcp came on i was just extremely bored by them and had to leave early. they're a decent band.. i guess, but not worthy of coachella. i just don't understand why people like them so much.

amyzzz
01-24-2007, 12:25 PM
RHCP have some really good songs...from about 10 years ago or more. It's true--they just keep redo-ing the same sound over and over until we're sick of them. If I had gone to their previous coachella, I might've considered watching them, but I am just so over them at this point.

PakFu
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
what are you all ranting about?!?!?!?!? the chili peppers have been amazing for years and years over. their last album (Stadium Arcadium) broke records all over the place. have you even tried listening to it??? John Frusciante is the greatest rock guitarist alive today. i went to both the Weenie Roast concert as well as their world tour concert and they were both breathtakingly amazing.

rest assured that they will rock the house to the point where you will lose your voice at coachella.

all you peeps are just way too emo.

luckyface
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
what are you all ranting about?!?!?!?!? the chili peppers have been amazing for years and years over. their last album (Stadium Arcadium) broke records all over the place. have you even tried listening to it??? John Frusciante is the greatest rock guitarist alive today. i went to both the Weenie Roast concert as well as their world tour concert and they were both breathtakingly amazing.

rest assured that they will rock the house to the point where you will lose your voice at coachella.

I loathe emo music, and even I can see that the RHCP are done.

RockaPotaMus
01-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm sure there are Peppers fans out there. I know there are cause I check in on their fansite alot. I've seen them live, and I think they are the bomb. One of the coolest bands out there. They are really my only reason for going to this Coachella thing. I LOVE THE PEPPERS!!!!!!!!! All of them. They are my heaven. I like old peppers and new peppers. nuff said

canexplain
01-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Often mentioned in the same breath as Glastonbury, Roskilde is continental Europe's biggest festival.

Just one act is confirmed so far - the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Details for the 2007 event will be here as soon as they are available.

as usual everything is relative . they are stoked on the boards over the pond about rhcp ... cr*****

psychic friend
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
They are really my only reason for going to this Coachella thing.

That's sort of sad. That there is only one band at the Coachella "thing" that you want to see.

Betsy Sue
01-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Just a few things that made me laugh/ urked me.

look at the environment you're in..coachella is full of pretentious indie hipsters. and the chili peppers are the most mainstream act on the list..of course theyre gonna get torn apart, especially on the boards. personally, i respect them, i would just rather see someone else headline.

As for this "pretentious indie hipster" crap, I have this little theory that only pretentious people actually use the word pretentious. I guess that means that I am also but do I care, not really. As for indie, I hate that people miss use this word so much. I am sure that you like indie music too, it means that there aren't signed to a major label. It's not its own genre of music. Last but not least the respect part is addressed below.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean I'm not a huge fan of theirs but I do like and respect their music. Oh well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I don't think I can respect a band for doing the same thing over and over and over again. I think respect is the farthest from what I feel for them. I thought their early stuff was good because it had a new sound but the sounds been done and needs to change at some point. As for respect, that's reserved for bands that continue to grow and put out amazing music.

Let me state first that emo and little emo kids annoy the f*ck out of me, too. So now that that's out of the way, best rock guitarist alive today, you have to be kidding me. Good luck backing that one up. You need to check on who is still alive or maybe just leave the top 40 and broaden your horizons a little.

I'm sure there are Peppers fans out there. I know there are cause I check in on their fansite alot. I've seen them live, and I think they are the bomb. One of the coolest bands out there. They are really my only reason for going to this Coachella thing. I LOVE THE PEPPERS!!!!!!!!! All of them. They are my heaven. I like old peppers and new peppers. nuff said
First "alot" is two words not one. Second, wow, they're your heaven, your only reason for going to this Coachella thingy, and they are the coolest band out there. Maybe you should start listening to something else besides the chili peppers, there are much better bands "out there".

Really it doesn't matter who's headlining because Coachella is Coachella and it will be fun no matter what. There are plenty of other bands playing and who really cares who headlines? I don't.

woogie846
01-24-2007, 04:00 PM

I too saw them at Weenie Roast and on their tour (pretty decent tickets from a friend). To me, once you've seen them, well, you've seen them. I wouldn't call them great, and I wouldn't call them bad. I just think they're boring. Flea and Frusciante are definetely talented musicians, however.

ThomThom
01-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I stopped listening to them 9 years ago, my $86 is going towards ARCADE FIRE...the REAL headliner... Hey are the Beer Gardens going to be open while RHCP is playing?

hubbertandtdcb
01-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I saw RHCP three years ago, with Snoop Dog and the Mars Volta (Canceled). I only wanted to see MV, snoop dog was ok, the peppers were the second worst show I have ever seen. They didn't play anything prior to Callifornication (sp). I didn't care for it. Unless you like the new crap, it isn't worth it.

ThomThom
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
God, why couldn't they at least put Air on Saturday's bill alongside Arcade Fire...I guess this means that whatever surprises that are going to be added on are going to be on Saturday right?

jakeinhb
01-24-2007, 04:34 PM
ok this is why the Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing at Coachella:
1. From a financial standpoint:
a. Their most recent album, stadium arcadium sold over a million copies in one week, and over 6 million so far. Thats the largest sales from an album in the last few years.
b. In 'hipster' land(aka 75% of the world) the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the largest and most popular band right now. They are always played on the radio, and people still don't get sick of them. To most of the people not on this board the Red Hot Chili Peppers and RATM are the main reason their going. (i know its sad but these are the facts)
c. As previously stated the Red Hot Chili Peppers are always around to do a concert, so if GV needed a headline the RHCP are an obvious choice because their easy to get.
d. Their regular concerts are always sold out immediately, with ticket prices above $75, making the worth while to a lot of people because it would be the cost to one of their concerts pretty much anyways.
Please dont go against the above facts because they are facts.

2. From my standpoint:
a. They do change their style, and are very talented musicians. They might not change drastically, but Californication and By the Way were branching off from their usual a bit. Stadium Arcadium sounds so similar because the fans wanted more of their original style.
b. Personally I think the only reason u guys dont like them is because their in the headlining spot, and i do agree they did play only 4 yrs ago. However they will bring people to coachella, what GV is aiming for. The Arcade Fire is a very talented and amazingly god live band, but they simply dont have the same success yet. Once they realese another album or two im sure the can reach headliner. Maybe '010. but at least they still are playn, and will make have an excellent show. as far as RHCP, if u dont like them the dont watch them!!!!!!! as u guys hav said 2 so many other ppl. i hope this clears somethings up and plz, plz dont argue the facts bcuz they r facts and no matter ow much u hate them there true. and plz none of that 'wut has the world come to' trash because there is a lot worse out there coughcoughmychemicalromancecoughcough.thx!

p.s earlier in the year they proabably played a lot of newer stuff cuz they were promotingthe album, but since its been awhile theyll probably play more older stuff 2.

luckyface
01-24-2007, 05:03 PM
a. Their most recent album, stadium arcadium sold over a million copies in one week, and over 6 million so far. Thats the largest sales from an album in the last few years.

This is where you lost me. Is this a worldwide figure? Because I just read that the album has not reached 4 million in sales (the number I saw was either 2.7 or 3.7 million) in the US. They had the #3 album of 2006. They weren't even the tops for 2006, champ.

Also, doesn't Billboard still count double albums twice for every album sold? Or did they finally move away from this model? If they haven't, the sales numbers are even more inflated.

jakeinhb
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
wiki: It was released in May of 2006. Over one million copies of the album were sold within the same month of release in Europe. [1] The title has gone gold or platinum in 16 countries across Europe, and has sold over 6 million copies total worldwide to date, making it the best seller of albums released in 2006. [2]

joebizz
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Quick answer? cause the past 2 albums SUCK! Bring back the spirit of Bloodsugarsexmagic and I might be interested again. Much respect, but its tired.

ED GEIN
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
The new Rolling Stone magazine says that the Chili Peppers only sold 1.7 million copies of there new album in 2006. In an article about record sales being in the shitter.

luckyface
01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
The new Rolling Stone magazine says that the Chili Peppers only sold 1.7 million copies of there new album in 2006. In an article about record sales being in the shitter.

Ha. That's where I read it. Thanks for the clarification. I thought 1.7 seemed too low, so I went with the next two numbers.

Kiefer
01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
let me start off saying, i am not a rhcp fanatic or anything. but, i will agree, coachella is full of "pretentious indie hipsters," but for real, you should have seen the pitchfork or intonation festivals in chicago. they made coachella look like a taping of the f--king view. everyone hates on the chili peppers cuz they are too full of themselves to admit they like hearing their songs or just wish radiohead could headline every year. "boo, their early albums were the best" um... hello, they will likely play old songs too, its a festival performance. don't like it, don't watch. the arcade fire are not headlining material (for any festival, yet anyway). theyve headlined before, and financially, goldenvoice made a wise choice.

jakeinhb
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
further proof: According to IFPI, over one million copies of the album were sold within the same month of release in Europe.[1] The title has gone gold or platinum in 16 countries across Europe, and has sold over 5 million copies total worldwide. and btw its won a lot of awards and is up 4 a grammy, but thats not everything

luckyface
01-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Awards don't mean shit. Do we really need to go through the Grammy winners list to show you who has won in the past?

And here is another piece of info for you:
"Multi-disc albums are counted once for each disc within the album, if the album is 100 minutes or more in total length" Here is the source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_certification)

So basically, you slash that number in half and you have the number of albums they actually sold. Less than a million in the US. Nice!

jakeinhb
01-24-2007, 05:43 PM
i said awards dont mean everything, so there is no reason to repeat what i already said. still 3.7 million albums is a large # today with downlading. and still the best or 1 of the best selling albums of 2006. how many albums have your air and manu chao and happy mondays sold?(good bands tho) theres no reason 2 b sarcastic, this isnt a fight, so id b nice if you got over your anger and talked normal. btw this is coachella, not something that u should b arguing in such an angry way so much theres not going to b a who got the most pissed on the forums award or anything. and im not even saying RHCP are a good band, im simply saying why GV would choose them to play at coachella.

luckyface
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I am not angry at all, just disproving the rationale that they were the best selling group out there.

Personally, I don't hate the band at all. I found their most recent album to be terribly boring, repetitive, and flat out bad. Other people were spot on when they made the claim that they have to sing about California in every song.

Honestly, I am just disappointed that they are a headliner. I wouldn't mind if they were a #2 or whatever, but there were a lot more interesting choices that they could have went after, if you ask me. It just seems that the choice of RHCP was a little, I don't know, lazy. They have toured the world twice to promote this album, have played multiple shows in the Southern Cali area within the last 8 months, and already headlined a similar festival very recently (Lollapalooza, who you can say is in competition with Coachella). So that is really my only beef. I don't care who they have bands I dislike at these festivals, as I will just ignore them. I just think they could have done better, that's all.

thinnerair
01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
i cant stand anthony kiedis

SometimesNJ
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM

emo?

jakeinhb
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
im just dissapointed all headliners have alrdy headlined. now thats repetitive. i mean RATM is ok but there should b new, different bands instead of bjork and RHCP

JFJFJFJF
01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
i understand most of the arguments against rhcp. their earlier stuff is much better. but people tend to base their arguments against their recent material all on their singles, which are the few songs that get released because they are overly poppy and catchy and whatnot. i agree, most of those songs are the worst on the chilis plate. off of stadium arcadium, dani california, tell me baby, and snow, the three singles so far, are my three least favorite songs on the record. they really dont have a lot of songs about california, it just so happens that every song about california they have has become a single. however, if you look further into their catalogue, beyond whatever they play on the radio, they have some amazing music.
im not trying to convert everyone to become an rhcp fan. i do, however, understand that everyone listens to different music, and i can respect that. theres plenty of music i dont dig but im not going to bash other peope for digging it.

djjowr
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
i'm really embarrassed for rock'n roll with the amount of hate against the chili peppers...here we have 4 guys who put their souls in their music, they promote peace and community. All of you so quick to judge, try picking up an instrument and really put yourself on the line for the music.

John frusciante is one of the most passionate musicians/guitarists. Honestly, just be glad that there are people out there who don't give a fuck about what others say just to entertain you, because every one of the bands you'll see at coachella are putting themselves on the line, so just stop hating for fucks sakes

outer space car
01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
frat boy music

Balthazar B
01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
*hiss*

Californicator
01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Everyone who hates RHCP can lick my ball sac. They are one of the best bands of the twentieth (and 21st) century, and they are still around. Everyone knows Flea is the best bassist around. John Frusciante = magical. His stuff isn't the hardest stuff to play, but its some of the most creative sounds around. Chad Smith...a very good drummer who looks like Will Ferrel. Anthony Kiedis...not the best singer, but a very good vocalist for the band. I can't imagine anyone else leading this band.

Now, if you don't understand the lyrics, or you just can't jam with their music, fine, leave it alone. However, if you followed them since Blood Sugar Sex Magic to today, you'd agree that their music is fucking incredible, even though it has changed a lot. Try it on shrooms or acid. It will change your life. For some reason, they are the only rock band most people can tolerate when on E. Funky, melodic, rugged, super-sick.

RHCP haters = douche bags.

bmack86
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
THe new album blows. I like them, but not that.

Rochec
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I liked them in the 80s, when they didn't say California over and over.

modeux
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
i don't hate them...

i hate KROQ and other Infinity/Clear Channel-owned bullshit radio stations for raping the hell out of RHCP. and RATM. and Sublime... among countless other classic bands over the past 15 years.

all of you people in or around the LA area know what i'm talking about. worst radio station ever.

Californicator
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I liked them in the 80s, when they didn't say California over and over.

Actually, they say "California" in one song, its called Californication, probably the latest song you heard from them. But, what they say in the song is true:

"It's the edge of the world in all of Western Civilization.
The sun may rise in the east but at least it settles in a finer location."

Sorry you were born and raised in some shit hole city outside of CA.

Rochec
01-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Actually, they say "California" in one song, its called Californication, probably the latest song you heard from them. But, what they say in the song is true:

They are a band, not your mother.

For someone who loves them so dearly you apparently don't listen to them very often. If you think they only say California in one song you are thoroughly confused.

daniel
01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
their new cd has its moments (Snow is awesome), but overall isn't as strong as their work from the 90's. However.. they are still a talented bunch that i am very excited to see live.

superfiction
01-24-2007, 08:06 PM
their new shit blows. weve all seen them before. they tour every couple years, its just nice to have someone to really look forward to as a headliner. personally i hope theres just someone good in the tent...

Californicator
01-24-2007, 08:16 PM
People who don't like Stadium Arcadium haven't listened to it. That's the only explanation I can think of. I dare you to download the song "C'mon Girl". You'll like it. You will. Know anybody who can play the base like that? Didn't think so. Oh, is this song too fast for you? Try the next one "Wet Sand". Tears in your eyes, huh? Beautiful. Wishing for their funky stuff from back in the day? It's here. Try "Turn It Again" or "Hump de Bump". In a bad mood? RHCP has the cure, try "Make You Feel Better". You see, there is something for everyone on the new cd. It fucking rocks.

Alchemy
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.show.me.uk/dbimages/chunked_image/FrogonFinger.JPG

microcuts
01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
here we have 4 guys who put their souls in their music, they promote peace and community.

I thought they promote sex and sexuality. And Californiality.

Alchemy
01-24-2007, 08:22 PM
here we have 4 guys who put their souls in their music, they promote peace and community.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/11/29/abba_narrowweb__300x436,0.jpg

Californicator
01-24-2007, 08:23 PM

For someone who loves them so dearly you apparently don't listen to them very often. If you think they only say California in one song you are thoroughly confused.

Sure, they mention "city of angels" in under the bridge, and their first single on Stadium Arcadium was "Dani California". There. Name another song then.

They mention Michigan more than they mention California on the new cd. "Especially in Michigan" is an awesome song, by the way. By the way, "By The Way" is an awesome song, too. Sorry, I "Can't Stop".

microcuts
01-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he says California in Around the World. And probably every other song. It might be backwards masked or buried in a layer of shit, but I'm sure it's there in every one.

Alchemy
01-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Mother fucking girls from California

RHCP - Around The World

Tylerdurden31
01-24-2007, 08:27 PM
i'm really embarrassed for rock'n roll with the amount of hate against the chili peppers...here we have 4 guys who put their souls in their music, they promote peace and community. All of you so quick to judge, try picking up an instrument and really put yourself on the line for the music.

John frusciante is one of the most passionate musicians/guitarists. Honestly, just be glad that there are people out there who don't give a fuck about what others say just to entertain you, because every one of the bands you'll see at coachella are putting themselves on the line, so just stop hating for fucks sakes

I've seen the peppers plenty of times. I can honestly say their performance at lollapalooza last summer was horrid. I personally think the same about Stadium Arcadium.

John Frusciante is a great guitarist. Flea is a great bassist. Chad's a great drummer. Anthony can't sing for shit.

And I've been playing in a band for 2 years and I already know how fucking hard it is. The Chili Peppers don't have it tough anymore. They have it pretty damn easy if you ask me. Try writing some challenging music, something different, something that no one's done...then get back to me.

Californicator
01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
RHCP - Around The World

Doesn't count. He mentions almost every other state, other countries and cities in that song, so California isn't the main focus.

But yes, I must warn ya, about the mother fucking girls from california. This is what it was like at their last show in San Diego:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/dt420/DSC00355.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/dt420/DSC00322.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/dt420/DSC00346.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/dt420/DSC00306.jpg

Pixiessp
01-24-2007, 08:41 PM

That's a great idea. Simply great.

FakePlasticMe

Oh dear, you ARE confused. Here is a list of the uninspired California-obsessed lyrics that I can remember....and I'm sure there are more:

The song: "Dani California"
California rest in peace
Simultaneous release
California show your teeth
She's my priestess, I'm your priest, yeah, yeah

The song: "Californication"

The song: "Magic Johnson"

L. A. Lakers fast break makers
Kings of the court shake and bake all takers

The song: "Under the Bridge"

I live in the city
The city of angels

That's just off the top of my head, man, going through their lyrics make me hate them even more.

scoop49er
my own feeling on rchp is its cool that they will perform but i guess because they have been constantly out there like anything else people take it for granted. the peppers are a solid band live. ive seen better but ive seen worse. good grooves john is a amazing guitar player so i will be grooving to the peppers. no hate here but i do understand that at some point it feels like the same groove.... but its all good.

Californicator
01-24-2007, 08:42 PM
would you like them if they made a song called "Dani Illinois"? Or, "Chicagornication"?

Californicator
01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh dear, you ARE confused. Here is a list of the uninspired California-obsessed lyrics that I can remember....and I'm sure there are more:

The song: "Dani California"
California rest in peace
Simultaneous release
California show your teeth
She's my priestess, I'm your priest, yeah, yeah

The song: "Californication"

The song: "Under the Bridge"

I live in the city
The city of angels

That's just off the top of my head, man, going through their lyrics make me hate them even more.

What's the point here? I forgot.

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I already have an artist that dedicated an entire album to Illinois, and his name was Sufjan Stevens. I have no problem with shouting out to your homeland, but the Peppers have been crazy uninspired the last 10 years....not to mention their lack of subtlety with "california".....2 of their biggest hits actually say it in the title.

Californicator
01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey, if you don't like California, then stay away. That means not coming to Coachella.

RHCP represents their stomping ground, and they do it well. So what?

RockaPotaMus
01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
* * * * RED HOT CHILI PEPPER * * * *LoVe

luckyface
01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Looks like a lot of fanboys joined the message board.

microcuts
01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Gorilla! Cuntilla! AnThOnY KieDiS is LikE oMG sooOo the BeST lyriCiSt EvER!

luckyface
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Really makes you think.

fober
01-24-2007, 10:13 PM
tonedeaf

Andreaxyz
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
long live to the chili peppers

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 10:38 PM

:rotfl "Where I goooo I just don't know...........beeebooong beeeenng bong badobahbooooobaaaaaahh"

Californicator
01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
:rotfl "Where I goooo I just don't know...........beeebooong beeeenng bong badobahbooooobaaaaaahh"

hey, people make whole albums blurting out nonsense like that. Ever heard of Eek-a-Mouse?

Californicator
01-24-2007, 10:48 PM
if you want to hear good singers, stick to american idol. they have to be superb vocalists, because simon says so.

suprefan
01-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Oh Gina, where does the time go?

Marcel rulez so hard!! j/k

FakePlasticMe
01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
if you want to hear good singers, stick to american idol. they have to be superb vocalists, because simon says so.

Hate to say it, but even Clay sings better than Kedis. I take that back, Clay's shriveled nutsack makes better sounds than Kedis.

devilray223
01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't think anybody here really "hates" RHCP. They are just boring live...I saw them on their last tour with The Mars Volta. And well after TMV played it was really boring. John and Flea together are good, they have good chemistry. But Anthony and Chad are just average. I wasn't expecting an amazing show, but I got a bland show. There were so many times John and Flea could've taken any of the songs they played to the next level with a little jam and just taking it away...but they were held back so much by Anthony.

The best part of the show was the encore jam when Anthony and Chad left the stage to leave Flea and John free to jam. It felt like they owed them that chance to play, and they knew it. The shitty thing was the fans all decided the concert was over and left when Anthony left the stage...sad sad fans.

I'm not objecting that RHCP shouldn't play, or that they are a bad band, just live they could do better, and for a headliner at this festival I hope they bring their "A game"

luckyface
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey, if you don't like California, then stay away. That means not coming to Coachella.

Just replace Wonder Woman with Anthony Kiedis and you'd be all set.

http://imagehost.epier.com/62100/FanBoy6.jpg

EZE619
01-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Because they freakin suck.

Californicator
01-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Just replace Wonder Woman with Anthony Kiedis and you'd be all set.

http://imagehost.epier.com/62100/FanBoy6.jpg

Your jokes are fuckin hilarious. But enough about all this RHCP hate.

You know who really sucks? Bjork. Bjork really really sucks. I'm sure you could agree with me on that one, right?

suprefan
01-24-2007, 11:48 PM

You know who really sucks? Bjork. Bjork really really sucks. I'm sure you could agree with me on that one, right?

OK fanboy, nice username.....

Californicator
01-24-2007, 11:57 PM
thanks douche. nice bag.

koalafishmutantbird
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM

actually since you have "Soulfly" in your name, you should know very well what Sighlent's talking about.

luckyface
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM

Thanks. Glad you appreciate them.

I actually like Bjork. I do think Manu Chao sucks a donkey, though.

sighlent
01-25-2007, 12:14 AM

Maybe after a few albums and way too many years they could do something... i don't know... different than what they've done over and over.

everlay
01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
RHCP open for the police reunion saturday night. makes so much sense.

Californicator
01-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Maybe after a few albums and way too many years they could do something... i don't know... different than what they've done over and over.

like what? do movies? a sitcom? run for political positions?

They are a band, and they make music. How hard is that to understand? Everyone always says the same crap about bands they dislike, things like "all their songs sound the same," and "i liked their old stuff"...blah blah blah. People think a band's songs sound the same because...drum roll please...its the same band and band members. That is why their songs have a similar sound. People like old stuff better because they haven't bothered to listen to the new stuff.

RHCP are one of the few originating funk rock bands, and are one of the only funk bands still playing today. Not an arguable point.

Don't be afraid of the funk.

Actually, you can't handle the funk.

Californicator
01-25-2007, 12:34 AM
oops, they have done movies:

Kiedis in Point Break

Flea in Son In Law, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Back to the Future 2 and 3, The Big Lebowski.

What do you know, they are doing something different.

PotVsKtl
01-25-2007, 12:35 AM
RHCP are one of the few originating funk rock bands, and are one of the only funk bands still playing today. Not an arguable point.

You are ignorant and you have bad taste.

bmack86
01-25-2007, 12:48 AM

Californication was funk? Damn, that funk class i took sure didn't teach me much. Guess I'll throw out my Ohio Players and Roger Troutman records now...

Californicator
01-25-2007, 12:52 AM
You are ignorant and you have bad taste.

Ignorant? Untrue. Please explain. I like plenty of other music, from underground hip hop, to reggae, to electronica (mostly drumnbass), and classic rock.

Bad Taste? Purely subjective. If I have bad taste because I like RHCP, then Golden Voice has bad taste for booking them and you shouldn't go to any of their shows. Actually, Golden Voice has REALLY bad taste for booking them twice, right? Please, don't go.

Sorry I am not as cool as everyone because you guys listen to stuff that can't be heard anywhere but a college radio station, and is only popular because similar dorks are telling other dorks about them on the net. Sorry to break it to you, but the bands you like (and I'm not talking about Bjork, Willie, or any other artist that has stood the test of time) won't be around very long. Definitely not as long as RHCP has been around, 20+ years.

So explain how I'm ignorant again?

Californicator
01-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Californication was funk? Damn, that funk class i took sure didn't teach me much. Guess I'll throw out my Ohio Players and Roger Troutman records now...

the song? no. The cd? yes, for the most part. And, theres a difference between pure "Funk" and "Funk rock". But, I'm not one to bother with silly titles and genres. If it sounds funky, then its funk to me.

Ohio Players are incredible.

bmack86
01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Umm, no. That's it. Just no. I like the Chili Peppers, but they are not a fucking funk band. Dammit.

Californicator
01-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Umm, no. That's it. Just no. I like the Chili Peppers, but they are not a fucking funk band. Dammit.

oh really? type in "funk" in any search engine on the net, and i guarantee you'll see their name somewhere.

Is George Clinton funk to you? Well I bet you didn't know he produced one of their albums.

Sorry they do not meet the definition of funk as taught to you by your funk teacher. Go funk yourself.

bmack86
01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
way to try and step with a musicologist buddy.
I did know that he produced one of their albums. Have you ever listened to what is generally regarded as funk? They do not sound anything like it. They took some of the tropes of funk (mostly their bass sound, some of the guitar lines) and grafted it onto a rock beat. James Brown was funk. Sly and the Family Stone were funk. Ohio Players were funk. Slave, Roger Troutman, Parliament/Funkadelic, Lakeside. Those were funk bands. Red Hot Chili Peppers, especially in their current incarnation, simply are not. Point me to the track(s) that you think are funk on Californication, because I don't hear it. And I listen to tons of funk.

depechemodekraftwerk
01-25-2007, 04:41 AM
They have been on the scene for many years. its the in your face to long syndrome.

the critics of the music sound the same. true
singing in same tone... true

but they sell alot of albums and make alot of money....BOTTOMLINE

TwilightSociety
01-25-2007, 04:58 AM
I am one of the few that thought they were terrible until Californication. Personally, I think By the Way has been my favorite pop album in the last 10 years. I've seen them four times, twice being awesome (including Coachella 2003), once eh, and once crap. They vary significantly in live quality per diem.

The reason I'm annoyed that they're headlining Coachella, even though I'm a fan, is that they've been touring too often for this to be a "special show." They are not rare concert performers; hence, the "magic" is gone.

A similar thing happened with Depeche Mode last year. They had been touring the US for months prior to Coachella, including a show in Los Angeles, and thus it was no big deal to see them at Coachella again.

insbordnat
01-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Everyone who hates RHCP can lick my ball sac. They are one of the best bands of the twentieth (and 21st) century, and they are still around. Everyone knows Flea is the best bassist around. John Frusciante = magical. His stuff isn't the hardest stuff to play, but its some of the most creative sounds around. Chad Smith...a very good drummer who looks like Will Ferrel. Anthony Kiedis...not the best singer, but a very good vocalist for the band. I can't imagine anyone else leading this band.

Now, if you don't understand the lyrics, or you just can't jam with their music, fine, leave it alone. However, if you followed them since Blood Sugar Sex Magic to today, you'd agree that their music is fucking incredible, even though it has changed a lot. Try it on shrooms or acid. It will change your life. For some reason, they are the only rock band most people can tolerate when on E. Funky, melodic, rugged, super-sick.

RHCP haters = douche bags.

Most creative sounds around? Meh. If we followed them since Blood Sugar Sex Magik?? Listen here, I followed them since a little album called "Red Hot Chili Peppers". Then Freaky Styley. Then Uplift Mofo PP, Mothers Milk, and then the breaking point, BSSM. When you have George Clinton produce an album (Freaky Styley), I give props. When you do some Stevie Wonder and Sly and FS covers, its a good tribute to some awesome artists.

What they are doing now isn't much. And if you think they are one of the greatest bands of the 21st century, you need to broaden your listening horizons. Perhaps pick up a King Crimson, Tower of Power, Dream Theater, or NWA album. You don't have to like any or all of that music, but for production value, talent, and creativity, that's where my money is.

And if you are just trolling, toss off for making me waste my time on this post.

scoop49er
01-25-2007, 05:20 AM
the peppers have earned the right to headline the festival. they are not the greatest choice for this year but enjoy it now. thye have enough history and good songs that it will be fine but i agree with alot of people here. the peppers have mellowed out. their shows were wild insane. now its a older pepper band but its cool. if i get bored ill move along

insbordnat
01-25-2007, 05:21 AM

You can't count the song Magic Johnson. That was the old Chilis, which many of us are fond of. Its the new crap that is, well, crap.

Oh, and you can't forget "Out in LA".

Or now that I think about it, "Hollywood".

insbordnat
01-25-2007, 05:25 AM
The reason I'm annoyed that they're headlining Coachella, even though I'm a fan, is that they've been touring too often for this to be a "special show." They are not rare concert performers; hence, the "magic" is gone.

Good point. And frankly, what do you think Goldenvoice is paying them? What that money could buy in other acts I can only wonder.

Wait, stupid me, they need to sell tickets and RHCP looks good as a headliner.

fober
01-25-2007, 07:16 AM
They've played 9,816 shows in the last 4 days.

sighlent
01-25-2007, 07:43 AM

like what? do movies? a sitcom? run for political positions?

They are a band, and they make music. How hard is that to understand?

Well we have a new definition for Idiot in the dictionary.

they could make MUSIC that is different you tard... instead of doing the same thing over and over and over again... maybe anthony doesn't always have to sing songs exactly the same, maybe john doesn't always have to play guitar, maybe flea could do something other than play bass... get my drift or do you need it explained to you more?

desphrs
01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
For better or worse...

Beck's availability/consistency + Madonna's ubiquitous popularity = Red Hot Chili Peppers at Coachella '07

Glamour Damaged
01-25-2007, 07:59 AM
"ehhhhh O listen to what I say O" ???? GREAT lyrics (being sarcastic if you couldnt tell)

Scottish Surfer
01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I saw them at T in the park in Scotland last year and thought they were pretty average which was disappointing as I was really looking forward to seeing them. I had seen them twice before and they were amazing but this time they just seemed to be going through the motions, and their last album was poor. Instead of making a single disc album packed with good songs they tried to be clever and do a double album which had too many weak tracks on it.
Rant over.

cosplusisin
01-25-2007, 08:49 AM
alright... no one can argue that they "suck". that's just closed-minded and not fair. i gave up saying bands "sucked" long ago. if they're making art, and you don't like it, that's fine, but you can't say it sucks. it's perfectly reasonable to say the anthony kiedis can't sing, but other than that... the musicians in the band are all great. and here's my story.

i'd always liked rhcp and i went to see them (for the first time) on the by the way tour in 2003. well... i was more than disappointed. the singing was so awful, and for one song the guitar was out of tune. it just ruined the whole thing, and i lost a LOT of respect for them.

well they came to town again in september of 2006, and i got tickets! why? mostly because the mars volta were opening. i was expecting the worst from rhcp, but when they came on... the first thing i noticed was that the singing was not off key like last time. i was shocked. once the singing was ok, i was able to just enjoy everything, and i LOVED it. and what stood out most was John Frusciante. you can criticize rhcp all you want for churning out the same songs over and over again, but when you see John Frusciante play and sing... he's so full of real emotion, and he can deliver it through his playing... it's amazing. after that concert, i decided i had to hear some of his solo stuff, and since then, i've got ALL his solo stuff, and I love it. what's the point? seeing rhcp allowed me to see how amazing John Frusciante is, and now everytime i hear rhcp, i just listen for him, because you can hear his influence in everything. even if the song's not very good, the guitar and backing vocals always sound so good. everything he touches... you know?

what am i getting on about?

why do people hate rhcp? Anthony Kiedis and his big, undeserved ego.

why should people not hate them? John Frusciante.

Californicator
01-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Well we have a new definition for Idiot in the dictionary.

they could make MUSIC that is different you tard... instead of doing the same thing over and over and over again... maybe anthony doesn't always have to sing songs exactly the same, maybe john doesn't always have to play guitar, maybe flea could do something other than play bass... get my drift or do you need it explained to you more?

to rebut, john plays guitar and background vocals. flea plays bass and trumpet. flea also has a few of his own songs.

if you are implying that they should all switch instruments....then you must be a moron. should they bring in a dj or keyboard player? I think they would sound awesome if they all played jazz flute and melodicas. i think i get your drift.

bmack86
01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Is Kroqken your avatar?

chairmenmeow47
01-25-2007, 11:59 AM
why can't RHCP fans communicate effectively!??!

and looks like everlay is back!!!

bmack86
01-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Too much testosterone

full on idle
01-25-2007, 12:06 PM
They've played 9,816 shows in the last 4 days.
This made me laugh.

Momoschaf
01-25-2007, 12:12 PM
to haters:
:blah
can you do a better job? :rolleyes
isn't that the great thing about a festival? you have a choice what you want to see. and if you don't like the RHCP don't go see them...

ThomThom
01-25-2007, 12:19 PM
to haters:
:blah
can you do a better job? :rolleyes
isn't that the great thing about a festival? you have a choice what you want to see. and if you don't like the RHCP don't go see them...

But what about the poor people (like me) that want to see Arcade Fire share the mainstage with a better headliner? I feel so sad about this, and I will raise this question again, are the beer gardens open during RHCP's set?

ArmTheHomeless
01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I grew up with Blood Sugar Sex Magic, its one my fave albums. But what the hell happened since then? Everytime "heyyyy oooohhhh" comes on the radio I get the impulse to shout "f*ck off" and change the channel. Saw them in Hyde Park a few years ago and it was one of the worst gig's I've ever been to. I haven't listened to them since.

Uphadis
01-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I like them. Good for me.

FriskyDingo77
01-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Peppers rrrrooooooooccckkkkk so come oN.
I say Rage somehow implodes before april and Rage Againt the Machine gets
replaced by OASIS

wahts your replacement?

FakePlasticMe
01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
It will be a joke when Arcade Fire finishes and the masses run to the nearest tent/bathroom/exit. The good thing is that for you few Chili Peppers fans, you will have no trouble getting front row, as everyone will be there to see AF. I mean, I wouldn't want to follow an act as fantastic as them....especially if I were a washed up chili pepper.

Rezzo
01-25-2007, 01:25 PM
saw a new video of theirs today and i was reminded of why they suck

TheInfiniteSadness
01-25-2007, 01:30 PM

brilliance.

paganman7
01-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I dislike RHCP because they make bubble-gum pop songs. They certainly don't suck, and are a talented group, but their style since BSSM has not been what I like. Consequently, I'll be at one of the other stages during thier set; I'm sure the true RHCP fans won't mind the extra space that my 235 pound frame will free.

Flea is a very talented bassist, but as someone who plays bass guitar, I can name a dozen bassists who play with current bands who I think are more talented.

funkyspuke
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I am a massive fan of the chilis... play bass and flea has been a great inspiration for years, I even have a Modulus bass! Whoot!

Anyway, this will be the 3rd time I have seen them in 2 years! All I can say is that I keep going back to live performances before By The Way and Stadium Arcadium because that is how I see the Chili's. Pure punk funk rock at it's best, energy and pure talent at work (Off The Map is pure class).

However I saw them last year in the UK and all I can say is that Anothony and John have turned into a pair of girls! Flea and Chad set the place on fire with their funky rock jams, however John and Athony could just not keep up! John can not keep up with Flea or Chad anymore and this is reflected in recent gigs. His guitaring has become sloppy and weak as demonstrated on Stadium Arcadium! Where he should be complimenting (on some songs) Fleas aggressive bassing with groovy funk licks and riffs... he, instead, uses crappy effects and minimalist guitaring that makes the sound weak and flat!

So the Chili's have changed their sound, drink herbal tea and Anthony injects Liquid Oxygen for a high! They have gone down hill, but they are still great and people will always remember what they have achieved... the right to play soppy pop songs!

Why won't they play some One Hot Minute Stuff!

ThomThom
01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
To the douche bag that said Stadium Ballsadium sold more than 1 million copies in it's first week...That is completely false, they sold roughly 400,000 copies in the first week. Nobody has sold a mill in a week since 50 Cent and before him Eminem and N Sync...hey, maybe they should headline day 2 instead.

cosplusisin
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
i made a post there defending them, but i also have to agree they sing about california too much:

"christ Im a sidewinder Im a california king" - Parallel Universe

"the motherfuckin' girls of california" - Around the World

"the california animal is a bear" - emit remmus

"I got a brother makin' trouble in the state of California" - readymade

"California skies got room to spare" - tear

"california rest in peace" - dani california

"blah blah blah blah blah blah blah it's californication" - californication

"California mountains in the mornin'" - lately (i don't know this one, but i found it while searching google)

and there's still all this city of angels stuff in under the bridge, as well as a whole album called "out in LA"/.

cosplusisin
01-25-2007, 03:29 PM
you see, i'm listening to californication right now, so...

"Knock on wood we all stay good cause we all live in Hollywood" - purple stain

"In Big Sur we take some time to linger on" - road trippin

Rochec
01-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Wow you seriously need to find something to do with your life. Maybe try playing in traffic. People don't dislike California, if they said meatwad over and over in 10 different songs they would still suck. It's a lack of originality.

barrio
01-26-2007, 03:57 PM
i think john frusciante is their one redeeming quality aside from some good songs from back in the day. but everything of recent aside from scar tissue is garbage imo.

ratmfan105
01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
lol true
they are awesome and their music does changes the last three
californication
by the way
stadium arcadium
can you say change
plus most of their old stuff sucks so whatever

crazzz2007
01-26-2007, 04:22 PM
blah...i'm sick of all this rhcp talk

beerbyatch
01-27-2007, 10:36 AM
They can be great fun live and they can really suck live. Everything after BloodSugarSexMagic has been decent but boring, with a few individual songs excepted.

But they've been on tour too much lately and there are just so many other bands I would rather see Headline Coachella. Like the Police or Smashing Pumpkins (hee hee)...

Californicator
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
You guys do know that they headlined already, right? I don't remember anybody bitching about RHCP in '03. It seemed like everybody there was having a good time. Who saw them in '03 and what do you have to say about it?

BeeII
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
That's sort of sad. That there is only one band at the Coachella "thing" that you want to see.

maybe people only going to see one or two acts will accidentally discover one them new fangled bands the kids seem to like these days.

BeeII
04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
ok this is why the Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing at Coachella:
1. From a financial standpoint:
b. In 'hipster' land(aka 75% of the world) the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the largest and most popular band right now. They are always played on the radio, and people still don't get sick of them. To most of the people not on this board the Red Hot Chili Peppers and RATM are the main reason their going. (i know its sad but these are the facts)
c. As previously stated the Red Hot Chili Peppers are always around to do a concert, so if GV needed a headline the RHCP are an obvious choice because their easy to get.
d. Their regular concerts are always sold out immediately, with ticket prices above $75, making the worth while to a lot of people because it would be the cost to one of their concerts pretty much anyways.
Please dont go against the above facts because they are facts.

2. From my standpoint:
a. They do change their style, and are very talented musicians. They might not change drastically, but Californication and By the Way were branching off from their usual a bit. Stadium Arcadium sounds so similar because the fans wanted more of their original style.
b. Personally I think the only reason u guys dont like them is because their in the headlining spot, and i do agree they did play only 4 yrs ago. However they will bring people to coachella, what GV is aiming for. The Arcade Fire is a very talented and amazingly god live band, but they simply dont have the same success yet. Once they realese another album or two im sure the can reach headliner. Maybe '010. but at least they still are playn, and will make have an excellent show. as far as RHCP, if u dont like them the dont watch them!!!!!!! as u guys hav said 2 so many other ppl. i hope this clears somethings up and plz, plz dont argue the facts bcuz they r facts and no matter ow much u hate them there true. and plz none of that 'wut has the world come to' trash because there is a lot worse out there coughcoughmychemicalromancecoughcough.thx!

p.s earlier in the year they proabably played a lot of newer stuff cuz they were promotingthe album, but since its been awhile theyll probably play more older stuff 2.

http://supercanuk.gnn.tv/_var/blogs/17706-1d68e97f5e8457375ed687e587dabe78.jpg

SFChrissy
04-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Does all this pepper hating mean there's gonna be more open space for all of us that love them regardless of what they put out!!!

rage patton
04-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I love the Chilis and I cannot wait to see them!
I seriously hope MSTRKRFT and/or TGTBATQ dont conflict with them.
That would make a sad panda.

jimmycrackcorn
04-09-2007, 06:32 PM
i have not liked any of their albums in quite some time BUT they DO have a lot of music that i enjoy and i am sure they will play some classics... i am happy that they will be performing...

fober
04-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I thought the thread title said

"Why does everyone hate the clippers?"

C DUB YA
04-09-2007, 06:42 PM
i have not liked any of their albums in quite some time BUT they DO have a lot of music that i enjoy and i am sure they will play some classics... i am happy that they will be performing...

if they play what they have been playing recently - you are going to be disappointed - its basically 90% of the new album/s, 5% Californication and 5% earlier singles.

cansei de ser sexme
04-09-2007, 06:45 PM

i agree.

Gloria
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I've seen them four times since September, and their show does get a little redundant, but their new stuff aint so bad, and people should really check it out. The Chilis are awesome. It's kind of hard to pass up their last US performance for a little while.

I'm still crying on in the inside that I don't have tickets to see them yet...

scoop49er
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
for me it all depends on the set list. for me blood sugar sex magik is amazing record bot too often their live sets get boring and redundant. they never have learned how to balance their set (something rage does perfectly) hopefully they will play a bunch of funk and alot form the blod album. if not , ill be moving to the beer garden....

Hoffa
04-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I agree with most of you guys about rhcp soundin stale, but come on arcade fire as a headliner over the peppers lol just sayin 20 years of good music compared to 2,come on chris,yo chris come on,come chris

Jedi Mind
04-10-2007, 07:27 AM
3 years ago I knew next to nothing of the RHCP aside from Californication and Scar Tissue. My g/f loves them, now I started listening to them and I love them as well. I've been listening to KROQ for the past month so I can familiarize myself with some of the artists that are going to be @ Coachella I'm not too familiar with the music (I'm a hip hop fan). I heard a couple of Arcade Fire songs and I think they're a great band but they're no RCHP and I had no idea who Arcade fire was prior to that. I think that it's great that RHCP haven't changed their style, its worked for many years and they should stick with it. IMO them talking about California is no different from death metal talking about satin and death all the time, and emo talking about being hurt or whatever the hell they talk about (I don't listen to that ish).

When I bought my tickets a month ago I was only going for one reason so my g/f and I could see the RHCP, one month later I have several reasons to go.