PDA

View Full Version : Ewiggy...

nothingman00
04-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey Kristen,
I just realized that you are on the Okkervil River MB as well (unless there are two ewiggy's running around). My wife and I are hitting up the show tonight in row G. I've been absent around here for awhile, but saw an "ewiggy" on there and figured it was you. I'll post a full review of the show sometime soon. According to their website, it will be a very special show... We shall see.

DeltaSigChi4
04-21-2007, 03:18 PM
PM feature, idiot.

E

amyzzz
04-21-2007, 03:21 PM
stfu

ewiggy
04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey Kristen,
I just realized that you are on the Okkervil River MB as well (unless there are two ewiggy's running around). My wife and I are hitting up the show tonight in row G. I've been absent around here for awhile, but saw an "ewiggy" on there and figured it was you. I'll post a full review of the show sometime soon. According to their website, it will be a very special show... We shall see.

yes, that is me. although those people don't really do a lot of talking, and when they do they're kind of boring. but it's a good place to find out about shows what whatnot.

hearing you're going to that show makes me a lot jealous. i seriously considered going. they said themselves that this type of show won't happen again for a lonnnnng time. and they said they'd record it, but come to find out - they can't, because of the university's rules. bogus.

if they have any cool merch (like 7 inches, or random copies of Stars Too Small To Use.. haha) will you txt me? i will PM you my number if so.

wmgaretjax
04-21-2007, 03:58 PM
you are a lucky man. I'd love to make it to that show.

bballarl
04-21-2007, 04:00 PM
What is special about it?

canexplain
04-21-2007, 04:25 PM
PM feature, idiot.

E

dude, lighten up .. cr*****

ewiggy
04-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey people,

I'm sure a lot of you knew about this already, but I wanted to get the word out to Austin friends about our orchestral show at the University of Texas' Hogg Auditorium on Saturday, April 21st. We've been rehearsing like crazy for this show all week and it looks like it's going to be a fun time. We'll be playing with a large string section and horn section, as well as backing singers and some other surprises, and we'll be doing brand new songs along with old stuff and some very rare stuff and stuff we may never try again. The whole thing will be recorded for future release sometime maybe. Not sure we'll have it in us to attempt another show like this in a while, so come down and laugh at us or lend us emotional support.

I think tix are at www.utpac.org.

Thanks!
Will

drooool.

nothingman00
04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
OK, so I'm back and have a couple thoughts:

-Delta Sig---way to do frat boys justice. Just when I thought you were gone, you somehow slithered up to the cracks. Listen, and I don;t speak for everyone--though I do speak for most--please, do us all a favor and learn how to masturbate. It will take your attention away from the fuckin keyboard. Oh, and by "masturbate", I mean, jab a sharpened #2 pencil (only a #2--no cheating) directly into your earhole--your choice of ear...

-The Okkervil Show was too damn short. That said, it was exquisite and I don;t really know how else to describe it. Highlights were the encore closer "So Come Back, I am Waiting" which absolutely, unequivocally dominated my face. Thorough domination. The entire show/setlist was scaled back, thanks to the string/horn sections. I've seen the band a few times, but never heard "For Real" played without a guitar until tonight (though the "git" did kick in after the song's vocal part was done)... Never heard "So Come Back..." in its full glory... Never heard "Another Radio Song" (and unfortunately didn't hear it tonight either)...

The show was exactly what was advertised. It was an orchestral version of an Okkervil show. No special handouts, offerings, CD's, etc... No "President's Dead", but maybe 2-3 new tracks that were outstanding---August 7 is the CD release date apparently...

I would assume that there was an audience recording of the show (wink, wink--no, not me, but there was at least 1 SB recording) and they'll make it out there eventually. As an Okkervil fan, I can just say that the show was extremely laid back, beautiful, and only lacking in length.

Oh, and Fucking A Shit, they played "Listening to Otis Redding At Home During Christmas" between "For Real" and "So Come Back..." I Shit ye negative. So sweet.

nothingman00
04-21-2007, 10:55 PM
One more thing... The opener was trying so hard to be Jeff Mangum that I had difficulty listening to him. Look, we all like NMH, but unless we're going to actually play songs with meaningful lyrics, somewhat catchy hooks, and, um, MEANINGFUL LYRICS, then let's keep it orig...

nothingman00
04-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Oh, and one FINAL thing...

I have seen only two shows where the crowd sat completely silent (in reverence)---Sigur Ros and Okkervil River. It was quite eerie. Sheff even made a comment about it being he only show he'd played where nobody moved. I'm an unapologetic alcoholic and I didn't leave during their set to fetch drinks...

ewiggy
04-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Highlights were the encore closer "So Come Back, I am Waiting" which absolutely, unequivocally dominated my face. Thorough domination.

this seriously makes me a little teary eyed. had i been there i probably would have sobbed. gaw.

i want that song tattooed on me. or just constantly playing wherever i go. or both.

I have seen only two shows where the crowd sat completely silent (in reverence)---Sigur Ros and Okkervil River. It was quite eerie. Sheff even made a comment about it being he only show he'd played where nobody moved.

that's amazing, and perfect. how it should be. god bless those boys.

what's the rest of the setlist? did you take any pictures? talk to the band at all? how many people were there? what was the venue like? yeeeah sorry.

nothingman00
04-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Ewig---

(from the message board)

Okkervil River's set was:

Main Island Lovers
Lady Liberty
Our Life is Not a Movie, Or Maybe
The War Criminal Rises and Speaks
A King and a Queen
A Hand to Take Hold at the Scene (I think that was the name)
Seas Too Far to Reach
Oh Precious
I Want to Know (Fugs cover)
Listening to Otis Redding at Home During Christmas
For Real

Encore:
A new song that I didn't recognize... started out "all of the stage names evaporate" or something like that.
Song of Our So-Called Friend
So Come Back, I'm Waiting

Zach was there! Very pleasant surprise. He played mandolin and sang backup on a few songs (most notably "Precious"). Um... um... I can't think right now. I don't know what to say. It was great. With the string and horn section and the baby grand piano (it didn't look like a full grand from where I was sitting), everything sounded so powerful and rich. "For Real" was astounding. It was slow and melancholy, with Will on the baby grand and the string section adding both softness and tension/a sense of urgency. Will grabbed the mic during "So Come Back" and it came unplugged. Besides that the show was fairly malfunction-less. The band got two much deserved standing ovations (their firsts ever, according to Will, since they've never done a sit-down show).

ewiggy
04-21-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah, i just read that. thanks.

tessalasset
04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
they need to play okkervil river song more.

miscorrections
04-21-2007, 11:55 PM
tessa, every time i read your name i get all dyslexic and think it's tessalessat instead of tessalasset.

tessalasset
04-21-2007, 11:57 PM
you fucking psycho.

nothingman00
04-21-2007, 11:57 PM
They need to play "Another Radio Song" and "Evolution of Saul..." more, but I can;t complain with any of their setlists...

Then again, closing with "So Come Back, I'm Waiting"... WOW! And the new track that started the first encore was astounding. One of Okkervil's best to-date, in my opinion, and that was the first time I heard it.

nothingman00
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Ewig, I JUST got your PM. I actually wanted to record "So Come Back" on my phone, but didn;t know how to do it. It was even better than the studio version (not trying to kick salt into your wounds)... Will telegraphed it with the intro and about 18 people started going nutty (but we all kept it inside after about 2 seconds of applause). When the live version comes out, I'll let you know (or vice versa).

ewiggy
04-22-2007, 12:20 AM
EWill telegraphed it with the intro

i have no idea what that means. should i?

nothingman00
04-22-2007, 11:46 AM
He played the exact same intro from the album. Just that delicate guitar strum... I turned to Megan (my wife--aka Brandon's (hawking) best photo-shop which transformed my wife from rolling a spliff in Amsterdam into a DJ)... Anyway, I turned to her and said something along the lines of "FUCK yeah, 'So Come Back, I'm Waiting!!!' They're actually playing it."

All I meant was that every other song remained semi-surprising due to weird intros and the completely transformed arrangements, but the guitar intro signalled "So Come Back..." to everyone...

wmgaretjax
04-22-2007, 12:02 PM
man, sounds like a great show. lucky...

nothingman00
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I'll be honest... I ejaculated into my pants twice (not counting the dry handjobs I got from my wife during the show)... Yeah, it was good.

wmgaretjax
04-22-2007, 12:50 PM
well, it won't be the same, but I'm seeing them up here in Seattle in June. looking forward to it.