PDA

View Full Version : Sell or not?

lowfront
04-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Alright guys need some advice here. I'm going to be going away to college in the fall.

My parents are paying tuition etc, but I need to pay to live up there. So basically I'm going to be broke for the next 2 years straight. I'm hoping to save up 4 grand by the end of the summer to help pay for the place while I'm up there

All the while I have my toyota yaris, I love my yaris with a passion and really can't imagine selling it, until now of course.

I have $9,500 left of payments on it. With 10,000miles on it.

Should I suck it up and work my ass of effecting my happiness and grades? And in 3 1/2 years have my car paid off. With maybe 40,000 miles on it.

Or sell it and get a piece of shit car for now? Make some money off it, no more car payment....

My rent is going to be $500 a month and the car is $273

I really can't pay that kind of money while doing school full time.

So what are your thoughts?

Kato!
04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Work your ass regardless you generation whatever. Really though, work your ass in school and at work. The yaris gets great mileage, no big repairs coming soon, no dealing with a junker as a sub, most likely good resale. Work your ass off now, benefits later. Sorry, that's how it works for most people. Build some character.

I work with so many young-uns that just don't get it. I want it now! Blah blah. How come I'm not the president now? I've worked here over a year. It's frightening.

lowfront
04-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Believe me I work my ass of now. I work 9-5 then go to school 7-10 4 nights a week.

But when I go to the next school, my grades are incredibly important. So I'm worried about not having the time I need to get the grades.

captncrzy
04-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Consider how much a dumper will cost you in repairs beforehand; if you can work on cars or have a mechanic friend that can hook you up, it might not be a bad move; if you don't-you'll eventually dump more money into the crap car than you wouldv'e in payments on your good car.

TomAz
04-21-2007, 08:29 AM
i went 4 years without a car in college. it's doable depending on where you're going to school

bartelby
04-21-2007, 09:08 AM
dump the car....gas is too pricey and we're all wrecking the environment enough already

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 09:24 AM
You should be fine either way - with or without the car! I work part time, go to school (I'm paying for it), pay all my bills ($3000 a month), and take care of my 5 kids. Come on. A little ass busting won't kill ya. If I can do it.....

DeltaSigChi4
04-21-2007, 09:25 AM
What do you do part time? Sell your body? Rocks?

WTF.

E

DeltaSigChi4
04-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Also, if you need advice from Coachella's online community to figure out what to do ....

skip college. Go enlist in the Armed Forces, preferably the USMC or Army. They'll tell you exactly what to do at all times, and we won't have to suffer through your horrible threads, idiot.

E

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 09:30 AM
What do you do part time? Sell your body? Rocks?

WTF.

E

Bookkeeping! I'm considering taking a second p/t job at a funeral home for the experience. I got a nice divorce settlement too. But still.... man, that kid only needs to make like $800 a month. For realz. Who can't do that?

DeltaSigChi4
04-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I get paid well over that in unemployment benefits alone.

And make well over that with my business ventures.

Oh, and get paid by the govt well over that amount for going to school.

And nearly clear that with my entry level part time job that I do because of boredom.

And once said entry level part time job starts reimbursing me for tuition, I'll be clearing that amount on a monthly basis through them too.

SUMMARY: So, yeah. I'm not the smartest [or people-friendliest] person in the world, yet I easily clear that 800$ a month many times, without much effort.

E

lowfront
04-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Going to school full time and getting paid $8 bucks an hour its a lot different then having a decent job bookkeeping.

DeltaSigChi4
04-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not a bookkeeper. Don't pigeon-hole yourself. I can already see you won't succeed. No heart/backbone.

E

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Going to school full time and getting paid $8 bucks an hour its a lot different then having a decent job bookkeeping.

My second job pays only $8/hr.

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Bookkeeping isn't as high paying as you'd think ($10-15/hr). If it was good enough apy, I wouldn't be going to school for something else.

Come on, man. Make it happen.

DeltaSigChi4
04-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Don't encourage him. It's like trying to pep-talk Mike Tyson into acting normal.

Impossible.

E