PDA

View Full Version : for people 30 and over how is ur life going?

scoop49er
04-20-2007, 07:15 PM
ok since we are so close i wanted to pose this question to see if we all can relate:

what has happened to our friends who are over 30?

what im trying to say is im 36 and still love going to concerts, listening to new music having a blast. i also work full time 2 kids wife of 10 yrs, 1 dog, 3 cats and a turtle! lol

i tell my buddies about coachella and they all say the same thing... why are u going to INDIA???!!

i say no!! im going to INDIO!! i name the bands off and they just nod there heads lost in space. they mostly listen to classic rock and 80's stuff i say the arcade fire and they think its a town that caught on fire or something!

dont get me wrong i love getting back to my roots of 867-5309! or jessies girl! and i am going to def leppard, styx and foreigner later in the year, but my friends all grew up and lost something..

so i wanted to ask my fellow people here what should i think. i mean i have a opinion, but i want to hear yours. and to all of you in your teens and early 20's, do me a favor, never lose that fire in ur belly. i hate seeing alot of my friends and neighbors lose it and just be boring! im in the suburbs myselfs and all the kids love and are scared of my family cuz we listen to cool music but will still apply rules to your ass if u misbehave! :)

how is your life going? :)

vinylmartyr
04-20-2007, 07:16 PM
can you post pics of your turtle

vinylmartyr
04-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Yablo is still cool and he has kids and stuff.

vinylmartyr
04-20-2007, 07:20 PM
That one girl who wants Andrew naked and has 5 kids seems to be lovin life.

amyzzz
04-20-2007, 07:21 PM
hahaha

All That I Am
04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I get what you mean man, I'm 30 and most of my friends who are older just gave up on trying new stuff. They just said "Fuck It! I like this album so i'll just listen to this for the rest of my life". But you know what I think most of them still don't have their own taste they just like things they are familiar with and they can talk to other people who are familiar with the same stuff. I mean these people are gonna be the old farts who watch the price is right and talk to other people about it.
To me the people who are cool are the ones who have their own taste no matter if its popular or not. Like Yablo admitting he likes hootie and the blowfish, yeah i'm gonna make fun of him, but i respect him for having his own individual taste. I guess its because I live in Fresno and I can lean out my window right now and throw a rock and it'll bounce off of five girls who all look exactly the same before it hits the ground. I guess those people who just try to fit in eventually don't have anyone to impress once they settle down and get married so they just stick with the last thing that impressed the people around them.

SillyGrl<3
04-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Eww trust no one over 30!! LOL

MarkO
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm 33 and am going to more gigs now than I ever did. Of course, being single means no nagging wife complaining about me going out.

psychic friend
04-20-2007, 08:55 PM
do you (OP) mean 30 by birth year or state of mind?

scoop49er
04-20-2007, 08:58 PM
people who are age 30 and older. anyone younger might not get this but ohhhhhh they will soon enough! :)

gmoneyak
04-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm 33 and am going to more gigs now than I ever did. Of course, being single means no nagging wife complaining about me going out.

Truetrue....w/out the nagging wife part of it, of course..

I just turned 30 and always have to gather up my younger friends to hit up some concerts... My closer friends, mostly in their 30's, just don't dig the scene like I do.. It's almost sad...

That, and the fact that I'm single, w/no kids ....Always have plenty of time to myself to do whatever I want..

vinylmartyr
TURTLE PICS PLEASE!!!!

psychic friend
my birth year says i am over 30 but ask anyone that knows me if they think that. LOLOMGORLYPLZ

TomAz
04-20-2007, 09:21 PM
i say no!! im going to INDIO!! i name the bands off and they just nod there heads lost in space. they mostly listen to classic rock and 80's stuff i say the arcade fire and they think its a town that caught on fire or something!

I get what you mean man, I'm 30 and most of my friends who are older just gave up on trying new stuff. They just said "Fuck It! I like this album so i'll just listen to this for the rest of my life".

my family and friends think i'm nuts. it's been known to happen a few times where at a party (late into the evening when I've had a drink or eight) i'll take over the stereo and turn off the Binnie Raitt and try to get people my age introduced to radiohead or the arcade fire or something like that. fortunately for me they've pretty much learned to humor me rather than shun me. for the most part.

TomAz
04-20-2007, 09:25 PM
actually i'm not that rude. I only commandeer someone else's stereo with their permission.

SillyGrl<3
04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
LOL

Sigmabass
04-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I had a turtle once. His name was Murtle. Murtle the turtle. I even had a song about him doing hurdles. LOL!

vinylmartyr
04-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I feel dirty.

All That I Am
04-21-2007, 03:15 AM
my family and friends think i'm nuts. it's been known to happen a few times where at a party (late into the evening when I've had a drink or eight) i'll take over the stereo and turn off the Binnie Raitt and try to get people my age introduced to radiohead or the arcade fire or something like that. fortunately for me they've pretty much learned to humor me rather than shun me. for the most part.

That reminds me of my favoritest Thom Yorke story ever. He said they were at a party in high school and he was sick of the shit they were playing so he went over and put on Joy Division and sat on top of the stereo so on one could change it, they all got mad.

All That I Am
04-21-2007, 03:17 AM
It's funny, my dad listens to Jamie Lidell and Rodrigo and Gabriella.
I think its so cool, since he taught me most of what i know about music.

smilingdownward
04-21-2007, 03:50 AM
i'm 32 and i'm finding that i have more money to go to shows now than i did in my 20's. i can travel to see bands, follow bands around the US. i have friends in thier 30's from another message board that do the same thing. my work friends think i'm crazy to go to all these shows, but i have managed to convert some of them.
just because i am 32 does not mean i act 32 or look it.
its all a state of mind.
though i have to say when i ever start having kids, it may be a different story. who knows.

sonofhal
04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Loving my 30's, finally having enough money to go out whenever i please, travel etc.

Lost track of some friends, some have become dull, but have made just as many new ones.

I go out more than all the much younger people that i work with, who like to constantly complain about how tired they are.

Todays 30's are yesterdays 20's.

TomAz
04-21-2007, 07:27 AM
I feel dirty.

don't you mean dirtle?

TheWatcher
04-21-2007, 07:32 AM
I can't really say how my life is going... things could be better or worse. Anyway, I am 46, and I am going to more concerts with my daughter than I ever did when I was her age. Other people my age don't understand, and mostly don't want to listen to new music. I know I do not always act my age--I don't feel like I am old, but I know I am starting to look it. Oh well.

We are planning to finally go to Warped Tour this year, as it's only 5m from our home. (I know lots of people here are too "elite" for Warped Tour, but there are some good bands this year)

I am as likely to be listening to the latest Indie band as I am to be listening to some classic 70s metal or 80s new age. I also like Reggae and JRock and Trance. I have very eclectic musical tastes.

I don't think age should be any reason to stop loving music. Many musicians can keep going till they die!

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm over 30 with kids. I am the adult that my friends' kids think is cool. My kids' friends think I'm cool too!

When I told my friends I was going to Coachella, I got positive reactions from a handful of people - a couple broke 20something friends, one other super cool friend who is in her 30s, and my boyfriend who is over 40. I have found that my friends in their 20s would love to go but are too broke. The 30s folks are too settled and boring. Anyone over 40 (excluding boyfriend) just looks at me like they're confused.

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 07:38 AM
To answer the question.... My life is going great! I finally have the maturity and know-how to go after my goals, regardless of potential obstacles. I used to be a stay at home mom of 5 kids, but I divorced my cheating husband last year. I packed my things and moved out, got a job, and now I'm going to school to become a mortician. I get to be a mom, but I also have a great social life. I don't ever ever want to fall into that whole boring adult rut. Ick!

joppy-slow
04-21-2007, 08:56 AM
im 31. most of my friends don't really do the concert thing anymore, and think that i'm a music snob because I don't listen to top40 hiphop/rap on the radio while driving to work. I really don't think it matters how old you are.. if you keep an open mind you will find that you can relate with any age group. my life is fantastic today. i'd say im a lot more happy now then I ever was in my early 20's.. i have more freedom and more money to do the things i want to do..the only time i will ever stop going to concerts and dancing, is if i break my hip when i'm 85. then i'll just sit in a wheel chair and yell 'heeeeyyyyyy oooooo' and wave my hands back and forth..
I bet their are a lot of people who still go to Glastonbury festival who first started going when they were 20 yrs old.

gaypalmsprings
04-21-2007, 09:06 AM
i'm over 50. people is their 30s are just kids.

€uroMeinke
04-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Most people will listen to the bands they liked in their high school and college years for their rest of their lives. That when they are most curious and experimental about things, and finding something they like loose the desire to continue exploring as they put together the rest of their lives - A lot of people define themselves by the music they listen to, a uniform to their Alma matter.

At 46, I still love discovering new music and as much as I might evangelize it to my friends, it's the 20-somethings that go with me to concerts. Thankfully my wife, also of 46 is the same way and we keep turning each other on to new bands we hear.

As I get older, I find there's more music I like - I don't get stuck in a genre (which in my High Schools days would have been punk) and have a lot of fun finding stuff that's new and fresh. Coachella seems to have a lot of folks like that, which is one of the reasons I keep returning.

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 09:31 AM
the only time i will ever stop going to concerts and dancing, is if i break my hip when i'm 85. then i'll just sit in a wheel chair and yell 'heeeeyyyyyy oooooo' and wave my hands back and forth..

The man I spend the rest of my life with better have the same outlook.

woootcoachellababy!
04-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I can't really say how my life is going... things could be better or worse. Anyway, I am 46, and I am going to more concerts with my daughter than I ever did when I was her age. Other people my age don't understand, and mostly don't want to listen to new music. I know I do not always act my age--I don't feel like I am old, but I know I am starting to look it. Oh well.

We are planning to finally go to Warped Tour this year, as it's only 5m from our home. (I know lots of people here are too "elite" for Warped Tour, but there are some good bands this year)

I am as likely to be listening to the latest Indie band as I am to be listening to some classic 70s metal or 80s new age. I also like Reggae and JRock and Trance. I have very eclectic musical tastes.

I don't think age should be any reason to stop loving music. Many musicians can keep going till they die!

dude you rock. im 14 and my dad is like you and he takes me to all these crazy concerts.

rampaige
04-21-2007, 09:49 AM
actually i'm not that rude. I only commandeer someone else's stereo with their permission.

That is very polite of you. Nothing makes me angrier than when some random shmuck tries to overtake the music at a party.

I'm only 26 but my husband is 34, and he acts nothing like your typical "stick in the mud" adult. When we first met (I was 24, he was 32) I was actually slightly intimidated by him because he knew soooo much more about music and art than I did. I was attracted to him because he was already established and knew where he was headed in life, yet he was also so much fun and up for anything (and still is.) He doesn't enjoy music festivals due to a physical handicap that limits the length of time he can stand or walk, but he has no problem with me merely skipping away to Coachella each spring with my friends. I hope when I'm 30 I have the same zest for life he still has.

shoegazer76
04-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I just turned 30 in November. I don't know what the deal is with the age of 30 but I can feel the physical deterioration of age starting. Maybe I need to do some yoga or something because I've never felt more unhealthy in all my life. I don't regularly abuse hard drugs anymore & haven't for about 2 or 3 years. I'm starting to think my ravin days have caught up with me. My joints are stiff & not as dependable, hell maybe I've got cancer or something. All I know is I never want to be in a nursing home because I hate how those places treat people. I would love to be that 50 or 60 yr old dude still rockin out at shows & festivals but as of now I'm not too sure I'm gonna be able to walk by then. To all these young kids that dog us old folks for going to these festivals, enjoy yr youth. Its going to happen to you too. & besides a vast majority of the music yr getting down to is being performed by the old farts that you loath. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, it goes by faster than you can ever imagine!

gmoneyak
04-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I just turned 30 in November. I don't know what the deal is with the age of 30 but I can feel the physical deterioration of age starting. Maybe I need to do some yoga or something because I've never felt more unhealthy in all my life. I don't regularly abuse hard drugs anymore & haven't for about 2 or 3 years. I'm starting to think my ravin days have caught up with me. My joints are stiff & not as dependable, hell maybe I've got cancer or something. All I know is I never want to be in a nursing home because I hate how those places treat people. I would love to be that 50 or 60 yr old dude still rockin out at shows & festivals but as of now I'm not too sure I'm gonna be able to walk by then. To all these young kids that dog us old folks for going to these festivals, enjoy yr youth. Its going to happen to you too. & besides a vast majority of the music yr getting down to is being performed by the old farts that you loath. Enjoy it while it lasts kids, it goes by faster than you can ever imagine!

As a fellow 30 year old.....that..., is kind of DEPRESSING!!!!

vinylmartyr
04-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Don't do drugs.

vinylmartyr
04-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm 32 and my liver is kinda fucked. If I drink anything at all it swells up and aches.

menikmati
04-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Jeff that is not good. It's water and gatorade for you this year.

dynamanda
04-21-2007, 10:17 AM
As a fellow 30 year old.....that..., is kind of DEPRESSING!!!!

I agree, that's totally depressing! How can you feel so bad at such a young age? I am approaching 31. I'm no stranger to wild partying and the occasional illegal substance. I do my fair share of liver damage every now and then. I've never felt better in my life! So far the 30s kick ass!

canexplain
04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
ok, as the elder statesman on the board (I guess I am) I am 58 and going strong .... I think a lot of why i like music and concerts is , I was always that way ... you can see threads where i went to ws 69, atlanta pop, altamont, all of the early fests ... saw jimi at the fillmore on new years eve, ramones and talking heads at cbgs's, beatles a couple of places including japan and i just never stopped .. hit all of the lolla's cept one (and not the new ones) most of the vans, most of ozz fests.. hit coachella 2x's but have to miss this one .. but this year we are for sure going to wakarusa, bonnaroo, and vegoose ... a two week camping trip just for the music ....hopefully next year flying to europe just to go to thier festivals ... we must have 3 or 4k cds and adding each week .. picked up year zero this week ... saw some of the coachella bands when they first came out ... wolfmother, arcade, a monkeys, and most of the people at the shows, mostly 20 somethings didnt know as much about the group as me and my lady did ... modest mouse was old news to us when they hit it big ... so music has always been my life ... kids, yep even 30 yr old kids, are always nice to us when we go to shows ... they usually say something goofy like "geez i hope when i am as old as you i am that cool", we just smile because we know what they mean .... the money issue like discussed earlier is a big part .. if we want to go to a show, we just go ... we dont really have to think about it ... so its all good .... some people get older and music is not as important to them anymore , to me, music is life .. cr*****

joppy-slow
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM

kids... just kill yourself once you get past 30.. its all fuqing down hill from there on out..

shoegazer76
04-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I must have shitty genetics or somethin. I'm sure all the hard slave labor I've performed over the years has taken its toll on my bones too.

shoegazer76
04-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Don't do drugs.

& stay in school.

canexplain
04-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I must have shitty genetics or somethin. I'm sure all the hard slave labor I've performed over the years has taken its toll on my bones too.

that may really be the case is some instances ... i have really only done office work all these years ... last week i worked 56 hours but still managed to hit a show ... so until you youngens sp can hang with me at a lotus show that doesnt even start till 200 in the morning, dont dog me about being old :) ... good karma to all of you and see you when i am really old cr****

roberto73
04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I turn 34 the day after Coachella, and my music consumption is as out of control as it ever was. I buy albums at an alarming rate, and even though it pinches my grad school-indebted bank account to travel into L.A. for shows, I still try to make the trip a couple times a month.

I still don't "feel" my age, and I think a lot of that has to do with teaching high school for ten years and teaching college students now. I've always found it easy to relate to people younger than myself (armchair psychiatrists, please feel free to assess my emotional maturity), and one of the things I hated most about teaching high school is the way most of the teachers wandered around the school in a tranquilized, pissy stupor, seemingly waiting for someone to put them out of their misery, like the colonist in Aliens who manages to gasp, "Kill me!" before the monster bursts from his chest. It was depressing, and it's no wonder education is in the state it's in when so many of its practitioners are angry, uninspiring adults. But enough of the soapbox.

I'm finding it easier to remain optimistic in grad school; there's more acceptance of eccentricity, and it's a better fit for my personality. I still feel younger than most of my friends (some of which are actually younger than me), but I don't think the alternative is anything worth striving for.

phoenixsky
04-21-2007, 04:19 PM
The title of this thread is awesome.

semisonic
04-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll turn 50 this year. About 25 years ago I thought I probably would outgrow going to concerts, checking out new artists, playing my guitar etc. I figured by the time I was in my 30s and 40s I would either be bored with all that or feel stupid doing it. To the contrary, I have never stopped doing any of it. My wife and I finally got our now-grown kids out of the house and we go out with people, have fun, listen to music more than ever. I find that while I still enjoy music I grew up with, I have no problem finding new stuff I like, too. I'm now at the age where I really don't give a shit whether some people might look at me and think I'm too old to do what I'm doing. Actually, when I tell people I'm going to a concert -- or Coachella, for that matter -- they're usually just envious.

jimmycrackcorn
04-21-2007, 04:46 PM
<31yrs old
hmm, my life is going well... i realized a couple years ago i did not want to participate in the "rat race" and gave up my salaried position in favor of a EASY job as an optician...you only live once and i was fortunate enough to discover the only thing that is IMPORTANT in life is happiness... i have my health, family, and friends what else is necessary besides the time together to enjoy it? now my biggest worry is staying active because this job is mostly sitting in a chair... i hiked a 8,600 ft mountain last year with only two days training and did it solo 1/2 the way!!! like many people in this thread though my friends are not into music as much as me so will not spend $300 on tix to a concert -shrugs-... i hope to run a marathon within the next year and have plans to hike a 10,000 ft mountain completely solo this october...
see the rest o you "ol fogeys" @ coachella
-waves-

psychic friend
04-21-2007, 04:56 PM
30 ++++ :) tons o fun to be had yet.

joppy-slow
04-21-2007, 06:03 PM
The man I spend the rest of my life with better have the same outlook.

and I hope the woman i spend the rest of my life with has the same body after having kids.. damn you look good for being a mother of 5 kids.

mountmccabe
04-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I wait until everyone else is too drunk to care. My old roommate always laughed at the fact that he'd go through the CD changer the next morning while hungover and it was always my CDs.

C DUB YA
04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Life is grand. I'm married, with a new baby boy bouncin around the house (well not bouncing quite yet, he's still rather new)

I'm in my mid thirties and I go to as many shows as when I was in my mid-twenties, well as many as I can anways. The big differences are I don't have to scape up the loose coin and eat noodles for weeks in order to go to something like Coachella, so thats nice. I also rather spend time with my family, so I opt to stay home and play with Baby Einstein things, but's a great thing, believe me.

On the negative side, going to Coachella means I will also miss being around my wife and my son, he's 16 weeks old and the best thing to happen to me, much better than any ol' concert thats for sure. By the way, the young ones who swear off kids (as I once did - sorta) will find they might not want to make such statements. Lots of living and lots of changes happen from the time your 20 to say, 30. Take it from an "old timer", marriage and family are the "biggies" in life and there are reasons for that - they can bring you more enjoyment than any other experience.

That said, my love of music has never been stronger, a lot of friends "dropped out" years ago, and I just traded in friends for younger ones... kidding. I love going to things like Coachella, Lollapalooza, and Pitchfork, even though it may be hard for those events to compete nowadays.

MarkO
04-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I just turned 30 in November. I don't know what the deal is with the age of 30 but I can feel the physical deterioration of age starting. ...........

I know I feel absolutely horrible when the alarm goes off in the morning after catching a show the night before. I just suck it up though and make stronger coffee.

And for those for you that have s/o's that are into music; you're very lucky. I haven't been to a show with a friend since May last year.

gmoneyak
04-21-2007, 10:18 PM
And for those for you that have s/o's that are into music; you're very lucky. I haven't been to a show with a friend since May last year.

That's been my problem as well.. Especially in a town like Reno, where...let me just say it's LACKING in the culture dept.. ..Not much diversity here, this town is the king of old 80's butt rock band revivals...

fatbastard
04-21-2007, 11:15 PM
It’s my turn to sit Indian style around the campfire.

41. Halfway between high school graduation and retirement.

There is my own personal barometer that believes that I am at my most happy and conscience at this point in my life. I am a sponge; I enjoy learning about music, books, art, culture, food, destinations, and history i.e. the aesthetics. These are the things that have always interested me. I am married, a homeowner, and almost complete with my education.

Then there is society’s barometer. I’m unhappy and awkward at social events. People my age seem older and more judgmental. It’s hard to have conversations based on Entertainment Tonight, Dr. Phil or People magazine. I’m not trying to be uppity or a hater. It’s just that most people’s minds seem to close at new things or ideas, as they get older. It’s hard to speak freely. How do you explain the musical group Air to a group like this? “Why French music?” “Are those guys gay?” What the fuck does it matter? This makes me feel like I have to refrain from communicating my interests and ideas around other people.

This is my constant internal struggle. Do I continue to isolate myself by pursuing what I enjoy or should I start “acting my age” and start swallowing what mainstream society keeps trying to spoon down my throat?

denies the day
04-22-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm slowly realizing I hafta turn the volume up more than I used to. I gotta get rid of my grey in the next couple of days. Insoles are a staple. I keep a hoodie in the back seat in case I get cold. In Phoenix.

Wear a seatbelt. Not because I'm afraid of injury but because my insurance will go up if I wreck without it on. I hafta paint my fucking house (damn HOA). I'm the oldest person I know with a Yo La Tengo shirt. A new co-worker mentioned that she was a Tiesto fan during an introduction. I knew I shoulda kept my mouth shut right there but I asked her if she liked other dance music and she said yes "but not 80s dance".

I mention X-Clan and get weird looks. One of my roommates has never seen Tron. Hands Across America, anyone?

I'm more of a wreck than ever. My s/o is the coolest thing about me. I turned 32 last week.

And now I must go back to making my Justice cross.

mountmccabe
04-22-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm slowly realizing I hafta turn the volume up more than I used to. I gotta get rid of my grey in the next couple of days. Insoles are a staple. I keep a hoodie in the back seat in case I get cold. In Phoenix.

It's pretty cool out tonight.

Good Days Last
04-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Like someone above said earlier, I love reading about you old guys that are still going strong.

I'm only 19 right now, and I'd love to be as hip and outgoing as you all when I hit my 30's, 40's and 50's.

crazzz2007
04-22-2007, 05:11 AM
That's been my problem as well.. Especially in a town like Reno, where...let me just say it's LACKING in the culture dept.. ..Not much diversity here, this town is the king of old 80's butt rock band revivals...

you should move. get the fuck out of there.

dynamanda
04-22-2007, 07:48 AM
I mention X-Clan and get weird looks. One of my roommates has never seen Tron. Hands Across America, anyone?

I participated in Hands Across America! My mom volunteered with the Dallas branch of the organization. I met Tony Dorsett, Peter Weller, and Crystal Gayle! I was in 4th grade. I got to be on the news too. It was rad.

PS - I loved Tron too!

scoop49er
04-22-2007, 08:25 AM
yeah its a trip when i tell people i went to the first lollapalooza or warped tour or saw prince back in 1984! or the first stones comeback tour in 89!

when it comes to music, the age factor really changed when the stones toured in 89. alot of people at first laughed and said who wants to see theses old farts playing and music was always about the youth. well what they didnt seem to understand is that it is about the youth, but its the youth in your heart. the stones toured and it was realy a spectacle. i was 18 rocking out with people in their 40's! and it was cool. afterthem, genesis, paul mccartney, the who and others started to tour again and it was ok to still be rocking at a old age. hell u2 would of had to call it quits if it was like the old days.

i will just say this. being 36 now, i am in the same boat as alot of you. i love music and now i can actually pay for my ticket, my beer, my fun cuz i work my fucking ass off for it. plus ive been around long enough now to see the young ones making mistakes by slamming beer or not pacing themselves to the point where they end up missing out on alot. trust me i was that person. now by the end of the night , yes im tired cuz its late :) but also i feel good and not like a big sponge drenched in vodka and greasy food. ill have some.. just know how to pace myself now. :) so to all you youngins, enjoy your youth, but if you play your cards right, the 30's and 40's are pretty fucking cool too!. love to all u coachella geeks! :) i am one as well! :)

rampaige
04-22-2007, 09:08 AM
This thread brings a tear to my eye.

joppy-slow
04-22-2007, 10:47 AM

I'm more of a wreck than ever. My s/o is the coolest thing about me. I turned 32 last week.

And now I must go back to making my Justice cross.

ha. this made me laugh.. Remember that Tron game, where you shot the disks at the other guy and you jumped from pad to pad.. that was such a fun video game..

i still have no clue what the crosses are supposed to represent?? they make me laugh every time i see pictures of them at a Justice concert.. Are people sporting the cross for the T in JusTice.. or are they representing jesus at a rave??? its a brilliant marketing scheme either way..

Slushmier
04-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm 23, but I want to post this for my dad, who's 56. About six years ago when I was starting to become a big nerd about music, my dad rediscovered his love of music, and all the sudden the Led Zeppelin and the Stones albums replaced the Lionel Richie. Since then, my younger sister and I have become bigger music nerds and he's been more than willing to listen to the stuff we recommend.

Plus, he also goes to shows with us all the time, and every once in awhile he is actually the oldest guy there. I think in the last year he's been to Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, DeVotchKa and a few others I can't remember, and tonight he's going to the Decemberists with my sister and I, and possibly Ted Leo (here's hoping Ted Leo starts late and Decembersists start early). I think that's awesome.

shoegazer76
04-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey man, there aint a damn thing wrong with listenin to Lionel Richie.

Slushmier
04-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey man, there aint a damn thing wrong with listenin to Lionel Richie.

PDZcqBgCS74

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Senor Cardgage
04-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Ill be 33 in a couple months and Ive never had more fun.

It shakes out like this:
99% of people suck. When they are young, they are into cool things because they are surrounded by them. Almost by default. Basically it isnt an issue of taste so much as it is youth.

They get older and settle into becoming the lameasses they always were.

Remember, most of the people of my generation that settled down and are becoming lameasses were never really all that cool. They were more likely into 7 Mary 3 and that kind of shit.

Fuck em. Theres a world full of adventures out there and Im gonna go have a bunch. In bed by 11 watching reruns of Raymond is death, yallz.

Plus everyone thinks Im 25 anyway, so I guess thats luck on my part. (Water, kids. Cant stress it enough. Drink gallons of that shit. That and SUNSCREEEEEN!)

kroqken
04-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I still like having fun no matter what my age is and I try to embrace change. However, I am nostalgic for things from my youth. I remember a video game from the early 1980s called Bezerk where the robots would yell "intruder alert" whenever I entered the room.

texmahone
04-22-2007, 07:15 PM
iggy pop is 60, i'm only 49

i'll grow up when he does

joppy-slow
04-22-2007, 07:16 PM
iggy pop is 60, i'm only 49

i'll grow up when he does

and when keith richards dies from drugs.. so will my love of music..

algunz
04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Thank goodness the days of don't trust anyone over thirty are long gone.

landa321
04-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I am 38. I am around a lot of people my age who are still into some newer bands, but I work in the music business. a lot of those people know about the newer bands because of the business. if they were not working in the biz, they would be listening to the same shit they were listening to when they were in college or even high school.

its the sad reality kids... remember this - most of you under 25 will NOT be going to festivals like coachella when you're 30. you will still be listening to your old arcade fire cds. your kids will laugh at you because you listen to the decemberists and daft punk.

it's true... believe that.

Sigmabass
04-22-2007, 09:56 PM
HAHAHAHA REO SPEEDWAGON RULES!!!!! LOL!

i_like_cake530
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
ok since we are so close i wanted to pose this question to see if we all can relate:

what has happened to our friends who are over 30?

what im trying to say is im 36 and still love going to concerts, listening to new music having a blast. i also work full time 2 kids wife of 10 yrs, 1 dog, 3 cats and a turtle! lol

i tell my buddies about coachella and they all say the same thing... why are u going to INDIA???!!

dont get me wrong i love getting back to my roots of 867-5309! or jessies girl! and i am going to def leppard, styx and foreigner later in the year, but my friends all grew up and lost something..

so i wanted to ask my fellow people here what should i think. i mean i have a opinion, but i want to hear yours. and to all of you in your teens and early 20's, do me a favor, never lose that fire in ur belly. i hate seeing alot of my friends and neighbors lose it and just be boring! im in the suburbs myselfs and all the kids love and are scared of my family cuz we listen to cool music but will still apply rules to your ass if u misbehave! :)

how is your life going? :)

i think its funny how you judge your friends that don't listen to new music, when your "roots" are 867-5309, jessies girl, styx and foreigner.

mcddjj
04-23-2007, 12:02 AM
38 and other than some knee problems (damn you basketball!) still going strong and really enjoying it. I can finally afford the toys I've always wanted :)

Hug it out
04-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm 32, married with a 2-yr-old and still follow new music. The concert going simmered down when the baby came just because of money but I still manage to go to more shows than the average person.

I didn't start to feel the aging until the artists were became younger than me. But I'm cool with it.

Just yesterday I was talking to a mother of three in her late 40s about music and was blown away by her taste and knowledge of new music. It was enoyable to know that someone older than me is still into the good stuff.

C DUB YA
04-23-2007, 08:35 AM
I am 38. I am around a lot of people my age who are still into some newer bands, but I work in the music business. a lot of those people know about the newer bands because of the business. if they were not working in the biz, they would be listening to the same shit they were listening to when they were in college or even high school.

its the sad reality kids... remember this - most of you under 25 will NOT be going to festivals like coachella when you're 30. you will still be listening to your old arcade fire cds. your kids will laugh at you because you listen to the decemberists and daft punk.

No - I listened to really great music 20 years ago and still do. I'm 35 and will listen to great muic when I'm 65 - believe that.

TomAz
04-23-2007, 08:39 AM

I don't know if that's true about 30 but it's probably true about 40.

the flip side of that is that in 20 years all the young indie hpsters will be calling for Fall Out Boy to reunite and play Coachella.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/jackstraw94086/NoDirectionHome5.jpg

downingthief
04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm 35, and I don't plan on "accepting" that age any time soon. As someone else posted, I sure don't feel 35. There is nothing better to to me than discovering a new band/artist to listen to. Music is my life, and performing, attending concerts etc is what keeps me going. I've also got the nice day job, the divorce, the kid, and the pending new marriage. Life is fantastic!

judila
04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm 42. Music is my life - either making it or listening to it. Either performing or attending shows. Most of my friends are a few years younger than me, but still go to shows almost every night. Of course we work in the music industry so I guess that's part of the job. But even my friends who don't work in the music industry that are in their mid to late 30's - we still all go to shows together. I think it's what keeps us young at heart.

Anyway, I will NEVER stop going to shows. Look for me in 30 years at Coachella 2037. I'll be the little old lady with the walker rocking out to the Muse Reunion concert...

HAIRYGOOMBA
04-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Life has been full of surprises, some tragic, some thrilling.
Always very into music-will listen to anything and give it a chance.

Grew up in California/N.Y. in the 60's and went to every concert
I could-still do-sometimes by myself, which is fine.People think I'm weird but too bad.

Travel a lot. Best gift you can give yourself.

Got married at 55, will be 57 in August.
We will celebrate my husband turning 50 @ Coachella this year.

Always thought drugs and booze diluted the intensity of life,
just for me.

I am curious about everything.

I feel the same way listening to music as I always have-it's a timeless,
ethereal & indescribable place.
It feels like a luxury to have that as a constant in my life.

It's a long story...................

kroqken
04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I will always have a love and passion for new captivating artists. I don't want to be stuck in some oldies era.

TomAz
04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't disagree with any of this. But, I think it requires a greater effort to stay current the older you get. unless you're in the biz.

kroqken
04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I guess I am willing to make that effort.

kittylundy
04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I am 32 and I have promised myself no matter what I love what I feel and your friends died inside a long time ago. People who truly are moved by music and love it don't "grow" out of it because of marriage. That is bullshit. This shot gets in your soul. Could be old school or new...people who LOVE music always love music no matter what...marriage does not stop that love. Fuck your lame friends...go do what you love....that is what I do...............

kroqken
04-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Iggy Pop is 60 and was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. I am not a huge Stooges fan, but he still can put on a show. I wish he would leave his shirt on.

kroqken
05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I may get older, but I am not dead yet.

BROKENDOLL
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Wow! I came acrossed this thread while reading "A Day in the Life of canexplain..." I could have doubled it's size with all the quotes of everyone's posts! I'm like alot of you in regards to the fact that not all people "get it" when I'm hyped up about going to a concert or festival....I'm 46 going on 23...Like I'm some sort of immature, irresponsible member of society, or something. It's almost as if my friends and I reached a point in life long ago when there was a fork in the road. You could choose the routine "Storybook Route," or take the "Magical Mystery Musical Tour." And, perhaps the storybook route provided a secure and stable routine life as opposed to the adventures of the magical musical route...which I think gave me more opportunity to express myself and be me than trying to follow set standards in society. Most of the concerts we go to nowadays are filled with teens to 20's...along with various reactions to our presence... Hell, it's kinda like the Coachella board here, and after reading through all of your claims to age and attitude...I feel certain that the route I chose to take in life years ago was the right one... I wouldn't say I have the security of a storybook life, but I have had the adventures of the musical tour, and that may explain feeling like I'm 23 instead of acting like I'm 46... Yes, what a long strange trip it's been and how nice to know I'm not alone on the road~

BROKENDOLL
11-03-2007, 12:33 PM
BTW...The previous post was written in a larger font for the convenience of those who can actually relate to being over 30 and still remain ageless on the Coachella message board~ :)-

gaypalmsprings
11-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm going to see Diana Ross on Friday....she's 64. I'm 52. Oh yeah, I'm taking my 85-year-old father.

BROKENDOLL
11-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Somebody's gonna get lucky!

summerkid
11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I've heard similar complaints about friends from my dad who is 44. Stuff like "I don't get how so and so can listen to Gram Parsons and Mellencamp over and over again and doesn't give anything new a chance" I go to probably one show a year with my dad. Saw Wilco this year, Tweedy in 2006, and Beck in 2005. And he goes to shows with his friends when he can convince his friends to go, but he's really open minded about music. Beck, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse are all some of his favorite bands.

canexplain
11-03-2007, 06:46 PM
i just wanted to post here to say, talk is cheap, and this last week shows i'm not all talk :) .... canx**

fatbastard
11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Indeed, you are LIVIN.

goodgrl
11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
WOW! I am 35 and hubby and I love going to shows!
Full time jobs, two kids, lots of running around. We met at a club. Same interests/friends.In our 20s we did go to every show possible. But now in our 30s we are actually able to travel and follow certain bands or attend festivals. Thats our thing. Its one of the things we look forward to. I think its funny that people we know in the same age range as us always say something like 'its so cool that you guys do things together' or 'like the same things.'
What else are married(single) people supposed to do that are in their 30s.Go out to olive garden fri. night and wake up to take the kids to target while daddy washes the car outside?
Life is what you make of it! You will never have enough time or money!
I hate that our friends have turned into our parents.We really only run into our friends if we go to a duran duran/cure/depeche concert.

kroqken
11-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Gee, now I am in my late 30s, and as excited about Coachella and other upcoming shows. Also, with Obama being our next president, I feel a new sense of optimism about this country that I have not felt in a long time. I must sound like a Hallmark card.

rage patton
11-20-2008, 10:27 PM
This thread is amazing.

I want "SillyGirl<3" to come back! LOL

kroqken
11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I do not remember "SillyGirl<3" I am dying to know what the 30 plus peeps are doing right now.

Westy
11-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm 33, soon to be 34, and I love going to concerts, raves, and festivals. I'm lucky to have a wife who enjoys good music, and she doesn't bust my chops if I go to raves by myself and get home at 5 in the morning (she's not into electronic).

kroqken
11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
You are lucky that you have a wife. Being single in your late 30s is not fun.

Westy
11-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I am lucky. Been married for 9 years now and wouldn't have it any other way.

kroqken
11-20-2008, 10:53 PM
The thing I have going for me is that statisically, if I get married later, my marriage will likely last compared to getting married too young.

canexplain
11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
i do have to say, if i hadnt had a sig other for all of my adult years, i would probably be dead by now ..... gals are fun but more down to earth in a lot of ways .. they kept my feet on the ground ...thank all you ladies :). cr****

Mr. Dylanja
11-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Such a P-I-M-P Ron!!

BROKENDOLL
11-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Here's my original post from almost a year ago. While re-reading this thread from the start, I came acrossed my post and thought, "WTF! What kind of idiot posts with a tiny little font in a thread for people 30 and over?" My Song Remains the Same at 47, and I'm certain music will guide me through life until I'm Dazed and Confused... (Is that clever, or what?):dumboNov. 2007 Wow! I came acrossed this thread while reading "A Day in the Life of canexplain..." I could have doubled it's size with all the quotes of everyone's posts! I'm like alot of you in regards to the fact that not all people "get it" when I'm hyped up about going to a concert or festival....I'm 46 going on 23...Like I'm some sort of immature, irresponsible member of society, or something. It's almost as if my friends and I reached a point in life long ago when there was a fork in the road. You could choose the routine "Storybook Route," or take the "Magical Mystery Musical Tour." And, perhaps the storybook route provided a secure and stable routine life as opposed to the adventures of the magical musical route...which I think gave me more opportunity to express myself and be me than trying to follow set standards in society. Most of the concerts we go to nowadays are filled with teens to 20's...along with various reactions to our presence... Hell, it's kinda like the Coachella board here, and after reading through all of your claims to age and attitude...I feel certain that the route I chose to take in life years ago was the right one... I wouldn't say I have the security of a storybook life, but I have had the adventures of the musical tour, and that may explain feeling like I'm 23 instead of acting like I'm 46... Yes, what a long strange trip it's been and how nice to know I'm not alone on the road~

kroqken
11-21-2008, 06:48 AM
I feel younger than I am chronologically. Maybe I will try botox one day, but that is my ohly concession to age I need to fight n the meantime. I try to stay in shape by doing a lot of walking.

TomAz
11-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Gee, now I am in my late 30s, and as excited about Coachella and other upcoming shows. Also, with Obama being our next president, I feel a new sense of optimism about this country that I have not felt in a long time. I must sound like a Hallmark card.

You also must not have a 401(k) plan where you work. If you work.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 07:00 AM
I do not have a 401K plan from my current job. I think my optimism stems from the fact that even though the recession sucks, I know Obama and the Democratic Congress will try very hard to get this country back on to the road of recovery, not just in the short term but also in the long term. This does not mean that there will not be setbacks.

Archie Bunker
11-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Ken is failing to mention that he's not posting right now from his current job.

Or from home.

Or from the library or internet cafe.

He's posting from a hospital where they're using him as a guinea pig.

I'm not joking.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Maybe that is why I am on here so much. However, I tend to post mostly thw few months before Coachella and right after.

canexplain
11-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Such a P-I-M-P Ron!!

you may be about half right, but no, i was a wild child as it were and if it wasnt for my two wives and multiple GF's, i would be in the gutter or on the bottom of the ocean lol .... cr****

kroqken
11-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Two wives, it sounds Mormon.

BROKENDOLL
11-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Ken is failing to mention that he's not posting right now from his current job.

Or from home.

Or from the library or internet cafe.

He's posting from a hospital where they're using him as a guinea pig.

I'm not joking. So he wasn't kidding about the Botox? Christ, he'll go from looking like a damn guinea pig to looking like a fucking chipmunk!

SFChrissy
11-21-2008, 08:34 AM
I will be 38 christmas eve, I raise two gorgeous little boys by myself, my father was the biggest example in my life in regards to music and passionate fulfillment...he's been dead for nearly 15 years but I still remember his love for life and feed on those memories when life is trying to discourage me...music and going to shows is a therapuetic release for me and keeps me moving thru life...I'm fortunate to have friends that are encouraged by this behavior and love to come along for the ride...

I'm happy that I've learned to be comfortable withmyself instead of having to by always accompanied by friends I feel that I have enjooyed many personal intimate moments going to shows by myself...

The best part is that I still feel as free as I did when I was 24 regardless of how my ex tries to restrain me...ultimately he can't and never will!!!

kroqken
11-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Sorry your ex is such a jerk. Don't send him a fruitcake, send him a boxset of Creed albums!

BlackSwan
11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm not over 30 or anything and things are going great, but I was watching The Daily Show last night and all of a sudden I realized I was going to be 25 in a few weeks and it freaked me out a little bit.

canexplain
11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Two wives, it sounds Mormon.

thats funny, no two really fine ladies , one for 10 years, and one for almost 21 years .... i was too wild for them and couldnt grow up .... too late now :) cr****

locachica73
11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I am 35 and my life is alot better now then when I was 25. I am also very much looking forward to 40. I kind of did life a little backwards, I have been on my own since 16, had my daughter at 19, was married and raising babies through my entire 20's. Now that I am 35 I have a great job, make decent money, my kids are nearing the magical age of 18 at which point I can get a condo by myself, live alone for the first time in my life and work for me and not everyone else in my life. I look forward to traveling, partying, meeting a nice person that I can eventually settle down with (although I have decided to put that off for a year or two) and just live for me. Life is good.

locachica73
11-21-2008, 09:01 AM
i do have to say, if i hadnt had a sig other for all of my adult years, i would probably be dead by now ..... gals are fun but more down to earth in a lot of ways .. they kept my feet on the ground ...thank all you ladies :). cr****

Maybe that is what is wrong with me, I am far from down to earth.

SFChrissy
11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Maybe that is what is wrong with me, I am far from down to earth.Nothing wrong with being in outer space honey!!!

locachica73
11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I agree, I kind of like it. And if others don't... FUCK EM!! :p

SFChrissy
11-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not over 30 or anything and things are going great, but I was watching The Daily Show last night and all of a sudden I realized I was going to be 25 in a few weeks and it freaked me out a little bit.society's perception of age is a stigmatism...phuck that bullshit!!! There's no need to freak out about reaching that higher age demographic...you can do the stuff you love doing but have the ability to do it better!!! Embrace it and feel good about doing so...btw are you dissing me on those oasis tickets...just wondering???

Archie Bunker
11-21-2008, 09:10 AM
So he wasn't kidding about the Botox? Christ, he'll go from looking like a damn guinea pig to looking like a fucking chipmunk!

Ken doesn't need Botox.

He needs a shower and some breath mints.

TomAz
11-21-2008, 09:14 AM
The best part is that I still feel as free as I did when I was 24 regardless of how my ex tries to restrain me...ultimately he can't and never will!!!

I don't understand. If he's your "ex" why does he have any influence on your life at all?

Archie Bunker
11-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh.. and I'm sure nobody cares about me here, because to be honest, I don't care about any of you.

Well, except for Ken. I care about him marginally.

However, in case anyone is wondering, I am 36 years old, and am a professional poker player. This means a few things:

1) I don't have a real job

2) My stress level is equivalent to those who have 5 real jobs concurrently

3) One perk is that I don't have a boss, so I can stalk Ken on the internet all day

Archie Bunker
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't understand. If he's your "ex" why does he have any influence on your life at all?

Free spirits from the Bay Area need an oppressive enemy they can point to that's trying to keep them down.

Otherwise they just qualify as eccentric.

SFChrissy
11-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't understand. If he's your "ex" why does he have any influence on your life at all?Simplisticly it breaks down to us sharing children with each other...many of his actions in regards to participation are a direct impact to my life and my ability to support our children. I guess that's the simplest explanation I can give you with out getting into the lame shit...

Free spirits from the Bay Area need an oppressive enemy they can point to that's trying to keep them down.

Otherwise they just qualify as eccentric.This kinda comes accross as you mocking my statement...

locachica73
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I am 36 years old, and am a professional poker player.

I play alot of poker but only for fun, I can't imagine the stress of doing it as a profession. I get pissed off when we are playing for free at the local pubs and people get all serious and pissy, I am sure it is 100 times worse if people are playing for real money and not just points and awards.

Archie Bunker
11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I play alot of poker but only for fun, I can't imagine the stress of doing it as a profession. I get pissed off when we are playing for free at the local pubs and people get all serious and pissy, I am sure it is 100 times worse if people are playing for real money and not just points and awards.

People watch poker on TV, and they see people winning all kinds of huge money and having a great time while doing it.

Unfortunately, that's not the reality. In most cases, you're just seeing the final table of a major tournament -- where even the worst performer you see still takes home a big payday. The losers are not shown at all.

Playing poker professionally unfortunately brings on a great deal of stress, as even the best players go through frustrating downswings and periods of rotten luck.

Being primarily a cash game player, I see swings in the 5 figures on many days, and swings in the 6 figures sometimes in a month. It can get really ugly sometimes.

Fortunately my results have been very good overall, and I haven't had a real job in over 5 years. I've put a lot of time, effort, and frustration into this, though. That's for sure.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Archie should enter the Coachella poker tournament.

locachica73
11-21-2008, 09:57 AM
I can imagine, we play at the local bars for bar gift certificates that equal 15-25 bucks and then also get points to play in the monthly tournament that has prizes that equal $1000 or laptops and other prizes. People throw chips when they get called by a less then stellar hand. Imagine if they were playing for real money. ugh.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Archie does play for real money. He is semi famous in the poker world.

locachica73
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I got that, I was referring to the people I play against. We just play for Beer. :)

TomAz
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Simplisticly it breaks down to us sharing children with each other...many of his actions in regards to participation are a direct impact to my life and my ability to support our children. I guess that's the simplest explanation I can give you with out getting into the lame shit...

ah. makes sense.

TomAz
11-21-2008, 10:09 AM
He is semi famous in the poker world.

This is really funny to me for some reason.

"No, you've never heard of me, but I'm a pretty big deal in gambling circles."

CalmerThanYou
11-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Never Grow Up

http://www.enjoyfrance.com/images/userimage/peter-pan.jpg

rollstar
11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
statistically about 50% of folks only go to one concert per year; 30% don't go to any; 10% go regularly; 10% go a lot.

coachella is an exceptional festival for lots of reasons and is still a weekend that largely defies age barriers. but as folks age (self-included) the competition that concerts face for my time and money is significant... and i'm pretty honest with myself in that there are tons of bands who i'd prefer listen to at home/car/ipod than see live. i've probably skipped 4 concerts this past year for bands i truly love just because i didn't feel like going on the night and had something better to do.

as i've gotten older, a concert is less a social event (because friends often can't/won't go) than about an experience that i feel my life will be better because of.

so animal collective... i can't wait to see you again in janauary :)

TommyboyUNM
11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I really like the idea of this thread. Thanks Ken for taking this board back in time a little bit (I'm sure to the displeasure of many old boardies).

Anyway, I'm only 27 but I feel I can speak on this. A lot of my friends are getting married and settling down. They see that as a reason to become really boring. They look at me crazy when I tell them that I'm going to this concert and that concert. They don't look down on me, but they think it's out of the realm of possibility. And they are in their mid to late 20's!! I'm slowly having less and less to talk about with those friends, but I'm meeting tons of new people. I guess the 2.5 kids, white picket fence, double-car garage lifestyle has never appealed to me and I don't give a fuck if I'm in the minority in that regard. I love going to shows and music festivals. I'm the happiest I've been in years. Fuck the rest. :)

locachica73
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree, living my 20's in my 30's just means I can afford to do it without having to eat Top Ramen everyday.

SFChrissy
11-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm looking forward to casually bumping into my life partner at one of these events i go to!!!

locachica73
11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
with my luck i will bump into my life partner with my car.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
statistically about 50% of folks only go to one concert per year; 30% don't go to any; 10% go regularly; 10% go a lot.

coachella is an exceptional festival for lots of reasons and is still a weekend that largely defies age barriers. but as folks age (self-included) the competition that concerts face for my time and money is significant... and i'm pretty honest with myself in that there are tons of bands who i'd prefer listen to at home/car/ipod than see live. i've probably skipped 4 concerts this past year for bands i truly love just because i didn't feel like going on the night and had something better to do.

as i've gotten older, a concert is less a social event (because friends often can't/won't go) than about an experience that i feel my life will be better because of.

so animal collective... i can't wait to see you again in janauary :)

What is the difference between those who go regularly and those who go a lot?

TomAz
11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Immodium.

ba dum bum.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I assume goes a lot > goes regularly.

SFChrissy
with my luck i will bump into my life partner with my car.
that might be an interesting encounter...

kroqken
And if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.

locachica73
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
well my life has always been a comedy/tragedy so its not too far fetched.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Nothing is as tragic as the Bush Administration.

rskapcat
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree, living my 20's in my 30's just means I can afford to do it without having to eat Top Ramen everyday.

QFT! I'm 29; the husband is 30. We actually go to more shows now than we did in our early twenties (we've been married 8 and 1/2 years...together for 10), because we have more disposable income. ;)

amyzzz
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
I go to a LOT less shows because of being married with kids. I expect to go to more shows once the kids get old enough to either a) stay home alone or b) come to concerts with me. :) I may try to take one of my girls with me to Coldplay next week.

rskapcat
11-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Yep, we're kid-less. That allows for a lot more freedom. My parents took me to shows when I was younger...they're really responsible for me being the music obsessive that I am today! :p

kroqken
11-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I will go to shows regardless of my age or marital status.

psychic friend
11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
is archie on tv? i watch wsop and wpt all the time. do i want his autograph? does he give some poker pointers? do tell.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Archie has been on TV under his real name. I would put up a link to his website, but I do not have his permission. He has won hundreds of thousands of dollars at tournaments, as a cash player in casinos, and online. He helped expose an online poker cheating scandal.

vinylmartyr
11-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm gonna guess this.

http://www.natarem.com

faxman75
11-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Life over 30 is pretty good. It's getting back to competing heavily with the early 20's which were fucking stellar. Mid 20's had some transition, late 20's was a mixed bag. 32 was the best year of my life.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm gonna guess this.

http://www.natarem.com

Good guess, but that is not him. He is in his 30s. He has a nice girlfriend and he went to college with me.

karecares
11-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Just turned 32 and life is good. had an a pretty calm early 20's and it significantly improved at 26; end of a long relationship and begining of having a relationship and getting to know myself since then. i was a concert goer as a teenager, stopped going during my relationship but was still consumed by music and he introduced me to a lot and after we broke off i was concert going again, haven't stopped going since then. i can't imagine a life without music or not going to shows. most of my friends have kids and limited disposable income so i go solo and meet new people.

Mr. Dylanja
11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
This thread is insprining!

psychic friend
11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
whats the big deal? if he is already famous in poker i'd like to know if it's one of the ones i watch.. im a huge fan.

Mr. Dylanja
11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
If he plays mostly cash games then I doubt he is frequenting TV appearances. Let's be honest PF, you want a piece of him online!!

psychic friend
11-21-2008, 07:16 PM
if he's one hundreds of thousand of dollars as ken says then i'll be safe to say he's way better than me. im not good.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 07:55 PM
See Archie at http://www.myspace.com/dandruffpoker

psychic friend
11-21-2008, 08:00 PM
cool that was enough to track down his wiki page.. amazing. you should totally learn poker from him.

sacleonard
11-21-2008, 08:22 PM
The 30s have been quite good to me (I am 37). In 2003, my wife and I relocated from PA to CA, started a family (3-YO daughter, son due in December), and our careers are doing very well. Moving so far from friends and family has been difficult, but the quality of life has been outstanding.

I don't get to as many shows, but that's mostly due to where I live: Sacramento's music scene is lackluster, compared to Pittsburgh, which attracted good shows regularly. That's actually one reason I enjoy Coachella so much --- I get music overload for three days to compensate for the musical drought I experience during the other 11 months.

Limited music, sports, and entertainment has actually made us reconsider Sacramento (vs. the Bay Area, SoCal, or some other metro), but the location and quality of life can't be beat. I was in shorts earlier this week, while it's snowing back in the 'burgh... and we're fairly immune from most CA natural disasters (fire, quakes, mudslides, etc.). We make a lot of short, outdoor trips: Tahoe, Yosemite, the coast, wine country... offsets some of the cultural misses.

My 20s were a blast, my 30s are equally good, and I wouldn't trade a thing about any of it.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Dani, Archie called you in the middle 1990s. He claimed to be a lover of your ex boyfriend who we both know. He said the "television set was warm". Remember?

Archie Bunker
11-22-2008, 06:39 AM
We already went over this, Ken. Dani said she didn't remember the call, which is probably for the better.

At the time I made the call (I think 1992), I had no idea who she was, and just called a number Ken gave me.

I am kind of a "B" list poker player. That is, I'm not a well-known name you see on TV all the time (especially since I'm mainly a cash player), but I'm known by most in the poker community and am covered by the poker media when I do play tournaments (such as the WSOP).

kroqken
11-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Being popular, even in a narrow field, is so cool.

york707
11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
ken makes my head explode.

kroqken
11-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I did not know I was gasoline to someone's fire. I do love that Sonic Youth song "Incinerate" from one of their more recent albums. That would be an awesome Youtube video to add here.

vinylmartyr
11-22-2008, 11:41 AM
We already went over this, Ken. Dani said she didn't remember the call, which is probably for the better.

At the time I made the call (I think 1992), I had no idea who she was, and just called a number Ken gave me.

I am kind of a "B" list poker player. That is, I'm not a well-known name you see on TV all the time (especially since I'm mainly a cash player), but I'm known by most in the poker community and am covered by the poker media when I do play tournaments (such as the WSOP).

What do you think about Poker Stars. Sometimes i'm convinced its rigged?

kroqken
11-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Actually, Absolute Poker had the cheating scandal and there is an upcoming 60 Minutes expose' on the topic.

Donaldj
11-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I am 31 closing in on 32 and every year gets better and better. I feel like I spent a lot of my 20s in various states of turmoil. I missed out on a lot of oppurtunities because of financial mismanagement, poor choices in relationships and ultimately trying to become a person who I am not. I am single. no kids, and feel like I am finally on the road to happiness. I go to way more shows and buy more music now than I did in my 20s and I have also realized that I probably will for the rest of my life. If I don't end up having kids I'll be the cool uncle, cousin, neighbor or coworker who takes the kids to the concerts well into my 50s.

Pixiessp
11-22-2008, 12:34 PM
I am 48 and my life is buttah. I would go to more shows if i didn't live in a podunk town. Coachella is the best thing that ever happened to me(music wise). Music has always been a huge part of my life. My dad is a musician and ever since my sister and i were infants he always had some sort of project going. Big band,salsa band,jazz band,rock band.
There is no way I would ever abandon my love for music because society thinks I should be tending to a husband/wife/kids/grandchildren etc.
Or thinks i should only listen to classic rock.

For those of you hitting 30 or already in your 30's let me say this:

Age is but a state of mind.

Archie Bunker
11-22-2008, 12:42 PM
What do you think about Poker Stars. Sometimes i'm convinced its rigged?

Pokerstars is likely the most honest of all online poker sites.

Still, that's like being the straightest man in West Hollywood.

If you don't play for high stakes, you are likely not being cheated. As shown by the two separate cheating scandals that occurred at Ultimatebet and Absolute Poker, the thieves went straight for the big money and totally ignored and low and middle stakes games.

Unfortunately, there is no way to no for sure if a site is rigged or not. They exist in foreign countries with just about zero oversight, and there is no criminal consequence for those involved in such cheating.

However, as I mentioned above, you can feel relatively certain you are playing a fair game if you're sticking to the lower limits.

TheWatcher
11-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm 48, and my life could be better. Or, it could be worse. I look in the mirror and sometimes see my mother. But, I don't feel old, it's weird. I hear about people in their 40s and 50s dropping dead suddenly or having health issues; but it doesn't seem like something that should be happening until much later. :eek:

I'm looking forward to the next Coachella, but right now I am worrying about finding the funds, as I am currently unemployed. I've been to a lot more concerts in the last few years than I ever did in my teens or twenties. I hope that continues. I lived without music for some years and don't want to do that again.

Life is pretty uneventful compared to younger years. Of course, a famous Chinese curse is "may you live in interesting times", so it's probably a good thing.

kroqken
11-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm 48, and my life could be better. Or, it could be worse. I look in the mirror and sometimes see my mother. But, I don't feel old, it's weird. I hear about people in their 40s and 50s dropping dead suddenly or having health issues; but it doesn't seem like something that should be happening until much later. :eek:

I'm looking forward to the next Coachella, but right now I am worrying about finding the funds, as I am currently unemployed. I've been to a lot more concerts in the last few years than I ever did in my teens or twenties. I hope that continues. I lived without music for some years and don't want to do that again.

Life is pretty uneventful compared to younger years. Of course, a famous Chinese curse is "may you live in interesting times", so it's probably a good thing.

A way to make money is through clinical trials. Try http://www.clinicalconnection.com or http://www.jalr.org or http://www.gpgp.net

kroqken
11-23-2008, 12:23 AM
It feels good to be over 30 and still staying up really late. Of course, if I was not at this medical facility, I would probably be out somewhere right now.

locachica73
11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
One of the things that sucks about being in my 30's is I forgot how to sleep in. I was out till 3 am or later and for some reason at 830 am my eyes popped open and I can't sleep anymore. I miss sleeping till noon.

Pixiessp
11-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I have no problem sleeping in late.

emtgreg
11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
One of the things that sucks about being in my 30's is I forgot how to sleep in. I was out till 3 am or later and for some reason at 830 am my eyes popped open and I can't sleep anymore. I miss sleeping till noon.

i am with you!

it sucks!!

canexplain
11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
i have an el-p poster that says, "i'll sleep when you're dead" ...not really sure what that means , seems backward but i guess that is the point ... i hate sleeping, it is such a waste of time ... you know how they have those overhauling shows for cars, well last night on the military channel they had an overhauling tanks !!!, a waste of time, yep, but better then sleeping ... cr****

emtgreg
11-23-2008, 12:49 PM
my job is too physically demanding to allow me to not sleep...

although my insomnia does its best to keep me awake...

although, i forget the time when im doing something interesting...

locachica73
11-23-2008, 02:06 PM
my insomnia keeps me up at night but then I never want to wake up in the morning.

kroqken
11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Once I got over having to see the Smurfs in the morning, I am now able to wake up later on weekends.

sacleonard
11-23-2008, 11:09 PM

8:30 is sleeping in for me. My daughter is usually up around 6 a.m., and I rarely go past 7 a.m. Unfortunately, I don't get to sleep until at least 11-midnight.

Which reminds me... it's time to turn in...
Goodnight!

Pixiessp
11-23-2008, 11:21 PM
oh hell! I had a Rockstar and now I will never get to sleep.

BROKENDOLL
11-23-2008, 11:39 PM
A way to make money is through clinical trials. Try http://www.clinicalconnection.com or http://www.jalr.org or http://www.gpgp.net

It feels good to be over 30 and still staying up really late. Of course, if I was not at this medical facility, I would probably be out somewhere right now. Going from Lab Rat to Pure Genius must come easy for you, huh kroqken?

kroqken
11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Going from Lab Rat to Pure Genius must come easy for you, huh kroqken?

An intelligent person does not say "I am smart." That person is usually just himself or herself and the intelligence will just come through.

BROKENDOLL
11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Once I got over having to see the Smurfs in the morning, I am now able to wake up later on weekends. Hey, it just occurred to me who it is that kroqken reminds me of! Forrest Gump!

canexplain
11-23-2008, 11:43 PM
evening brokendoll, pay attention to your posts if you care , almost 5k .... happy holidays to you and yours ..... ron****

kroqken
11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
My IQ is way higher than Mister Gump.

BROKENDOLL
11-24-2008, 02:44 AM
evening brokendoll, pay attention to your posts if you care , almost 5k .... happy holidays to you and yours ..... ron**** Thanks canexplain! Yeah, only 30 away from 5k...For me, that's like beating the odds and winning the Special Olympics catagory here on the board, huh? LOL

kroqken
11-24-2008, 02:53 AM
It's all a numbers game.

BROKENDOLL
11-24-2008, 03:18 AM
It's all a numbers game. In my case, it was more like a season of "Survivor!" :rolleyes In your case, at the rate you're going, I'd venture to guess that you will surpass me in the "Ignore feature category! "I shall pass the torch on to you now...Congrats, kroqken!"

kroqken
11-24-2008, 03:24 AM
What is "ignore feature?" I assume it means that I am blocked from writing to a user on here. I have written to one person on here in the last year so it will not effect me.

Cheddar's Cousin
11-24-2008, 07:52 AM
I'll be 40 by next Coachella, and I am still going strong. Two kids (16 and 5) can't slow me down. I've been married 18 years (that's longer than some of you have been alive). If that doesn't speak to my endurance, I don't know what does. Sleeping in means 8:00am, but I can still rage with the best of 'em. I play in a softball league, I skate and snowboard, I hike for miles at 10,000 feet and I can take each and every one of you in a fist fight!

locachica73
11-24-2008, 07:55 AM
40 is the new 30.