PDA

View Full Version : dodger stadium help/questions

foocow
04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
i was thinking about attending the dodgers/diamondbacks game on the 30th. i'm from out of town, so i know very little about the area and the ballpark. for cheaper seats (looks like the reserves are the best bet), what are the best places to sit there?

also, how is traffic getting to and from the stadium? i'll come from probably the venice area. google maps tracks it as about a half-hour drive, but is that really the case, considering i keep on hearing crazy stories about LA traffic? and how is the parking situation? i see that there are different lots, but is it as ridiculous as leaving coachella after radiohead in '04? is the parking fee reasonable?

do games there usually sell out? considering i'm going on a monday, i wouldn't think so... but i'm from atlanta, and absolutely nothing sells out (speaking in terms of braves games). is it a safe assumption that i can buy tickets at the box office as the game starts?

lastly, is it an easily navigable venue? yeah, i'm there for the baseball, but i love baseball stadiums, too. i plan on walking around through some of the game just to see everything there. can i walk freely through different concourses/levels and be able to get back to my seat without getting completely lost?

i know that this is a bunch of questioning, but i plan on doing some sight-seeing in LA before and i was wondering if this was a viable option after a day spent driving around town and taking pictures. thanks for any and all help!

suprefan
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Check on ticketmaster and look for pricing and stuff. It has gone up actually this year, the outfield seats are now $10 and there are seats behind home plate that are $450 so you get an idea. You will be screwed on parking as of right now, they changed the system and its really stupid. Parking is $15, there are other solutions like taking the subway and walking to the stadium. You should go on like a dodgers board and read up on it. You cant really go to another level and stuff cause security would check your ticket and that takes the possibility out of going down to the bottom and seeing how it is, everything is very easy to find. The game wont be sold out but I imagine a bit of people will be there since they have been playing well.

kimery08
04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
make sure you dont root for the other team.
it is punishable by death.

suprefan
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Especially if it was the Giants.

kimery08
04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
i went to the padres game on friday and there was a padre fan yelling about something. this cute cholo behind me started yelling and cussing at the guy. one of the workers went over to him and told him that he couldnt cuss. and the cholo guy said "fuck that. he shouldnt be rooting for his team."
the worker said okay, and left.

foocow
04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
oh, there will be minimal "rooting" going on; i'm just going because it's something happening. i like sporting events and to experience something like a baseball game on the other side of the country (with different teams, different fans, different location, etc.) is what i'm aiming for.

foocow
04-18-2007, 10:31 AM
thanks for the info, that was some of the stuff i was looking for. i'm really considering doing this just because it's something interesting to do.

about moving around, i'm used to turner field here in atlanta. you can basically walk around where ever during the game (except in the "lexus", i.e. club, level) and try out the better food options on the field level, get a good view from the outfield, etc. i was just curious if you had that kind of freedom at dodger stadium. i'm not talking about sitting in different sections throughout the game, just mobility. we'll see what happens.

and coming from the venice area, how long do you think it would take to get there at, say, 630PM? i'm thinking about going to the santa monica pier early in the evening (possibly venice's ocean front walk) and then heading over there for the game.

thanks again!

Check on ticketmaster and look for pricing and stuff. It has gone up actually this year, the outfield seats are now $10 and there are seats behind home plate that are $450 so you get an idea. You will be screwed on parking as of right now, they changed the system and its really stupid. Parking is $15, there are other solutions like taking the subway and walking to the stadium. You should go on like a dodgers board and read up on it. You cant really go to another level and stuff cause security would check your ticket and that takes the possibility out of going down to the bottom and seeing how it is, everything is very easy to find. The game wont be sold out but I imagine a bit of people will be there since they have been playing well.

ragingdave
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
oh, there will be minimal "rooting" going on; i'm just going because it's something happening.

You'll fit in perfectly with all LA sports fans.

vinylmartyr
04-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I can answer your questions but I need more coffee first.

foocow
04-18-2007, 10:42 AM
sadly, this kind of behavior is also very typical of atlanta sports fans, as well!

You'll fit in perfectly with all LA sports fans.

ragingdave
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I was going to post a real boring rant.
Nope.

suprefan
04-18-2007, 10:55 AM
and coming from the venice area, how long do you think it would take to get there at, say, 630PM? i'm thinking about going to the santa monica pier early in the evening (possibly venice's ocean front walk) and then heading over there for the game.

thanks again!

To like be at the stadium at 6:30? I would say leave at 5pm. But if you would be leaving Venice at 6:30, expect to be getting inside the stadium after the first pitch is thrown. Like I said, parking is a big nightmare now with the new system that is being used so who knows what will happen. I am not trying to sway you in any way obviously but just give yourself a lot of time if you wanted to get there and park and just kinda chill before the game started. Oh there is the deal also in right field where you can get the all you can eat thing included with the price of your ticket. No aolcohol is served in the outfield sections fyi, I guess that can sway your decision on tickets too.

AEversW
04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
sit in the left field pavillion.

nahuatldream
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
If you plan to leave your house at 6:30 PM, unless it's not very crowded, you'll probably miss the first three innings or so. It really depends on the size of the crowd. I was there on Opening day and it took about an hour to get in, once we got within about five miles. Then, to leave, we literally sat in the same spot for an hour, and another hour to get out from within 5 miles, once we started moving again. Parking is $15 (it used to be $5 not too long ago, but this is the norm pretty much at any stadium these days) and you can get some pretty cheap seats. most are under $20. where you park is dictated by which gate you enter. check out the Dodgers website for a layout of the stadium and parking. I would suggest parking close to the section where you'll be sitting.

Dodgers Homepage (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=la)

Edit: I just saw the Dodgers schedule, that Monday night game is "Fleece blanket" night. Expect it to be very crowded/sold out. The first 50,000 get a free Dodgers Fleece Blanket....I want one of those...

bmack86
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Just park on Sunset and walk up to the park. I'm not scared of Echo Park, you shouldn't be either. Chavez Ravine is a historical area too, you can see some interesting things.

nahuatldream
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I think i'd like to try that walk sometime. It's not terribly far. Maybe a mile, if that. Of course, a lot of it is uphill, but whatever. And yeah, a lot of people are coming out at that time, you should be fine, i think. Enough people also walk that it would be fairly safe, I guess. On one of the Dodgers message boards, a few choose to do the walk, and hang out at a local bar afterwards.

bmack86
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm honest when I say that I'm not scared of Echo Park. It's not that bad if you're walking to your car. There are many worse areas.

vinylmartyr
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I am a regular in the Dodgers message board. I'm on it just as much as this one.

Courtney
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm honest when I say that I'm not scared of Echo Park. It's not that bad if you're walking to your car. There are many worse areas.

There are lots of scary people who live in Echo Park. Like me.

vinylmartyr
04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Try walking down San Julian between 4th and 9th st.

suprefan
04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess I will watch out for the scary chick if I ever take that walk.

nahuatldream
04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I am a regular in the Dodgers message board. I'm on it just as much as this one.

which message board? what's your handle? mine's da_beatles on the ESPN board (which I don't go to anymore) and another board started by former ESPN posters. Ah, maybe you're on the Dodgers.com board. I have an account there but I don't think i've posted there yet.

vinylmartyr
04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
The one on Dodgers.com. I go by vinylmartyr.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?listMode=-1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-dodgers

fatbastard
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Dodgers parking question. Is 15.00 parking restricted to the area in which you enter? I went on Saturday and was "coned" into a specific area. Last year, I was able to circle around and decide which area to park in.