PDA

View Full Version : Off-Site Camping (I don't need no stinkin' campground!)

jessehattabaugh
04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey you intrepid campers. My gf and I have our 3 day passes, but we didn't get camping passes, or hotel reservations. Neither of us has really been so we don't much know what to expect, but we've heard that the on-site camping is awful. Flood lights on all night long for insurance liability reasons, too loud to sleep, etc etc. We're minimalist campers, so we don't need any facilities, but it would be nice to find a piece of ground that nobody would mind us sleeping on, and maybe a handful of good folks to sit around a campfire and smoke a bowl with. Does anyone know of any unofficial off-site spots that we could drive a few tent stakes in? Are off-site campers commonly seen, or do the police crack down on them pretty hard? Do the local landowners pitch a fit if you go on their land? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

bot73
04-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Depends on how off-site you want to get... There's tons of BLM land around, but you ain't gonna be walking from the Polo Grounds to any of it.

sk8r408
04-15-2007, 08:20 AM
I've heard the police crack down really hard on this. a couple years ago I didn't have a spot, so we drove down to the Salton Sea. There's always plenty of room there, and we didn't even pay anything. The only downside was that it was 45 minutes away.

tiffdud41
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
ebay some camping tix--it isn't bad.

tiffdud41
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
ps you'll get to shower

sk8r408
04-15-2007, 09:15 AM
PS onsite camping sucks like you said.

driguez
04-16-2007, 06:58 AM
man let me know if you find something, otherwise i'm ducking it in the bushes somewhere.

snakes yum!