PDA

View Full Version : Honey, I'm Home.....

GTI_GRL
04-12-2007, 01:56 PM
I have been cooking a lot lately, any of you guys make anything amazing?

btw this week has been
ny steaks, shrimp scampi, baked potatoes, and corn
eggs, steak (left overs) and potatoes (left overs) for breakfast
tamales (didn't make this time) and shrimp cocktail/ceviche
bbq chicken pizza (bought premade dough)
blueberry muffins and crumb cake (breakfast)
tomorrow lima bean and ham soup

Last week was
hamburgers, polish dogs, and potatoe salad (home made)
carne asada, chile rellenos, spanish rice (home made) and pinto beans
lazy day order pizza guys
lazy day went to olive garden

Next week I am feeling
bbq'd chicken and ribs
green chile chicken enchiladas and red chile carne asada enchiladas

What do you guys like to make? Favs? Hints? Avoids?

Mabdul Doobakus
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Damn...party at your house...

I basically make spaghetti, and everything else qualifies as an avoid.

amyzzz
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Damn...party at your house...

I basically make spaghetti, and everything else qualifies as an avoid.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

TomAz
04-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I made Thai Chicken Stew with Potato-Chive Dumplings this weekend. it was awesome.

from foodandwine.com:

ingredients
1/2 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large jalapeño—halved, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons minced chives
Salt
1 pound baby bok choy, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
Lime wedges, for serving

directions
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with hot water. Cook over high heat until tender, about 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole. Add the chicken and cook over high heat until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 4 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the fish sauce and the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a ricer and press into a bowl. (Alternatively, mash the potatoes.) Reserve the potato water. Add the 2 tablespoons of flour, egg yolk, chives and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the potatoes and stir until a stiff dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured board and divide it in half. Roll each piece into a 1/2-inch-thick rope. Cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces.

Add the bok choy to the stew and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 minute.

Return the potato water to a boil and add the dumplings. Cook over high heat until they rise to the surface, then simmer for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the chicken stew. Add the basil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and simmer the stew for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.

TomAz
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
hamburgers, polish dogs, and potatoe salad (home made)

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1988/1101880829_400.jpg

Mr.Nipples
04-12-2007, 02:04 PM
hahahahahahahaha

AEversW
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
i made grilled mahi mahi with some brown rice and broccoli for lunch...twas good.

bballarl
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I can't cook here because I live in a dorm. But next year I will cook up a storm.

downingthief
04-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Favorite thing to make for me is sauteed shrimp in garlic and olive oil, over angel hair pasta. I make a light sauce of white wine, roma tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh italian parsley. Simple, but tasty!

Omar1
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm making mushroom and onion soup today.

AEversW
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Favorite thing to make for me is sauteed shrimp in garlic and olive oil, over angel hair pasta. I make a light sauce of white wine, roma tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh italian parsley. Simple, but tasty!

my favorite is sauteed shrimp in garlic in olive oil over rissoto...mmmmmmm

rampaige
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
My favorite thing is to cut up fresh asparagus and portobello mushrooms and place them in a skillet over medium heat with some olive oil for 10 or so minutes. It's sooooo good. The asparagus turns out tender yet crisp. And makes your pee smell funny to boot!

GTI_GRL
04-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I made Thai Chicken Stew with Potato-Chive Dumplings this weekend. it was awesome.

from foodandwine.com:

ingredients
1/2 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large jalapeño—halved, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons minced chives
Salt
1 pound baby bok choy, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
Lime wedges, for serving

directions
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with hot water. Cook over high heat until tender, about 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole. Add the chicken and cook over high heat until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 4 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the fish sauce and the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a ricer and press into a bowl. (Alternatively, mash the potatoes.) Reserve the potato water. Add the 2 tablespoons of flour, egg yolk, chives and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the potatoes and stir until a stiff dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured board and divide it in half. Roll each piece into a 1/2-inch-thick rope. Cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces.

Add the bok choy to the stew and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 minute.

Return the potato water to a boil and add the dumplings. Cook over high heat until they rise to the surface, then simmer for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the chicken stew. Add the basil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and simmer the stew for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.

sounds good, I might try that next week

disgustipated
04-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Last night I made prosciutto wrapped sea scallops with a rosemary port butter sauce and wild brown rice.

GTI_GRL
04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Do any of you guys cook for people with a long I dont like list? I love garlic, onions and spicy food, I have 2 people that dont like it. I make a small amount with no onion/garlic/spicy and I am getting tired of it....lol

I felt like my mother when I said make your own dinner. ahhhhh

disgustipated
04-12-2007, 02:49 PM
YES...my girlfriend is extremely picky. I have to either give in to her crappy palate or cook two different meals... irritating.

TomAz
04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I cook what I cook. anyone doesn't like it can have some of the mac & cheese I cook for my younger daughter.

lindseyb
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
i can't tolerate picky eaters.

captncrzy
04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Do any of you guys cook for people with a long I dont like list? I love garlic, onions and spicy food, I have 2 people that dont like it. I make a small amount with no onion/garlic/spicy and I am getting tired of it....lol

I felt like my mother when I said make your own dinner. ahhhhh

I make a kick ass tortilla soup that everyone can customize based on their likes/dislikes. I'll find the recipe at home and post it.

miscorrections
04-12-2007, 03:46 PM
i love throwing dinner parties but i do not like cooking. i always wrangle my friend into cooking and i do the logistics and make dessert because baking = love.

our last menu (we had to scale down and go not so fancy because of budget constraints):
bruschetta

pan-fried prosciutto-wrapped chicken with risotto (saffron, parmiggiano reggiano, vegetables, yumminess) and green beans

chocolate pavlova with raspberries

J~$$$
04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
RNLDOTdAITY&eurl

J~$$$
04-12-2007, 05:22 PM
RFkjKBj_m9M&eur

J~$$$
04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
W7Zo5vLDC88&eurl

GTI_GRL
04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
yeah, youtube

Caitlin
04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow...impressive! Give me chicken any way you make it, love the stuff. Potatoes too. You seem to know what you're doing! You wouldn't happen to make any Thai dishes, would you?

downingthief
04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Caitlin, I make a twist on chicken cordon bleu that's really easy. Don't use ham, though. :)

I flatten chicken breasts, salt and pepper both sides, with a bit of olive oil. Then put swiss cheese and fresh sage in the middle, and wrap it up, and tie it with butcher's twine. Then, I sear it in a frying pan, then put in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
I make a light sauce with chicken broth, s&p, white wine, and lemon juice. Once the chicken is done, just drizzle on the sauce. Very tasty!

baddream
04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
green chile chicken enchiladas and red chile carne asada enchiladas

What do you guys like to make? Favs? Hints? Avoids?
I think I will make the green enchiladas next week. Don't really know how to make them though :shrug

GTI_GRL
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I think I will make the green enchiladas next week. Don't really know how to make them though :shrug

Boneless skinless chicken breasts
Or
Chicken on the bone (qtrs, split breast, etc…)

Boneless skinless chicken breasts
-Grill in pan until done
-Cut or shred

Chicken on the bone- More work
-Bring pot of water to boil
-Throw in chicken, add in chiles, seasoning etc...
-Pull chicken out after 20 min or so (I check temp of chicken and color)
-Get two forks and start pulling chicken off of bone, it will fall off and shred really easily

I like to warm up (on stove) a can or two of Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada sauce, and put the shredded/cut chicken into it. It makes the time in the oven a lot less.

Depending on time, either pre shredded Monterey cheese or a large block of Monterey cheese. If a block, cut into smaller blocks about the size and length of a finger or two.

Next step, corn or flour tortillas

Corn,
Fry in oil for about 30 sec, golden brown and slightly crispy

Flour,
Warm in you want, it not ready to go

Fill tortilla of your choice with chicken in green chile enchilada sauce, and put in cheese. Roll tortilla and put in a casserole pan, continue until full. Pour enough green chile sauce to cover tortillas, and cover in cheese. Put in oven for 15-20 until cheese is completely melted, and enjoy.

fatbastard
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
i can't tolerate picky eaters.

I can't either. It's tells me more about them than they realize.

S.Fantana
04-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Lemon Pepper Tilapia!!! YUM

Courtney
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Tonight I want to do something with some Trader Joe's frozen salmon fillets. Can you barbecue salmon?

fatbastard
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Sunday
I cut up a bulb of fennel and added it into a non stick pan with butter. I layed 2 pieces of orange roughy on top. 4 minutes on each side. I sprinkled kosher salt prior to plating the fish. Plated fish over bed of basmati rice.

Monday
Meat lasagna and salad from Pasta Roma.

Tuesday
3 double cheeseburgers from McDonalds and a small diet coke.

Caitlin
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I make an awesome lasagna and eggplant parmesan. :)

Courtney
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
fatbastard, I'm coming to your house next Sunday.

amyzzz
04-17-2007, 04:52 PM
I hate food.

Caitlin
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with food. =\

amyzzz
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Sometimes I wish I could just take a couple pills everyday that would fulfill all my dietary needs and make me full. Other times, I really love my chocolate (or whatever sounds good at the time).

fatbastard
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Your most welcome anytime. It's weird. There are days that the meals are more on the gourmet side and there are some days when I need to eat junk.

fatbastard
04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I make an awesome lasagna and eggplant parmesan. :)

How do you make your lasagna?

fatbastard
04-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Tonight I want to do something with some Trader Joe's frozen salmon fillets. Can you barbecue salmon?

I BBQ salmon. I wrap them fillets in foil. I will add butter, sliced onions, minced garlic, salt and pepper. The fillets are ready to go once the foil starts to balloon.

I have never cooked frozen fillets though. I could not help in that area. A good source is the food network website. They saved me last year when I tried to defrost a 24 pound turkey in 2 days.

Courtney
04-17-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm totally going to do that. I'll report back tomorrow.

Caitlin
04-17-2007, 05:04 PM
How do you make your lasagna?

I layer the bottom of a lasagna dish with a homemade meat sauce,
A layer of lasagna noodles,
sparingly dot ricotta cheese over the noodles,
a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese,
another layer of sauce
then I repeat the layers 3 or 4 times, depending on the size of the dish.
On the last layer I pour over whats left of the sauce and shredded mozzarella.
Cover with foil, put in a pre-heated oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.
At 30 minutes, I take the foil off and let it bake for another 10-15 minutes.

I sometimes add smaller portioned meatballs as well, depending on my mood.

As for the meat sauce, any prego/ragu sauce will do. If I get it store bought, I brown a half-1lb of hamburger meat on the stove and stir it into the sauce in a large bowl.

S.Fantana
04-17-2007, 05:10 PM

You can BBQ anything!

fatbastard
04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm hungry.

bartelby
04-17-2007, 07:28 PM
i make a mean eggplant parmigiana

- cut up half a white onion and a few cloves of garlic (to taste) very finely
- fry in olive oil (about a tsp) until lightly browned
- add one can (bigger can) of tomatoes (organic preferred)
- add salt/pepper/parlsey to taste
- let simmer for about 30mins to an hour (longer the better)

- cut eggplant into about 3/4inch pieces
- fry in a bit of olive oil until brown

- place eggplant on oiled baking sheet
- cover with sauce
- add grated parmesan (lots or a little, depending on preferences)
- bake in over at 350 for about 20-30mins

miscorrections
04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
i've been waiting for someone to convert me into an eggplant fan but so far no one has been able to do it.
eggplants and yams. yuck.

Quentin
04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I know many ways one can prepare ramen.

ewiggy
05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
here is the sort-of recipe for the steak meal that my mom cooked:

Red Wine reduction: Dump a full bottle of wine in a pan. Add 1 tsp of vegetable soup base (I use a vegetarian paste type, but buillon would work fine too). Add salt and pepper, one tablespoon of butter, 1 chopped garlic clove, herbs (bouquet garni, rosemary, anything you like). Simmer until wine is reduced to a gravy like consistency..about 1 hour? I never watch it, you only have to worry at the end! You can add a spoonful of balsamic vinegar too, gives it some pep, I like to splash a little of this on the asparagus too.

Filet Mignon: Cut a slit almost all the way through the middle of the steak to form a pocket, stuff with blue cheese. Use toothpicks to close the slit. Salt and pepper the steaks. Cook until desired doneness. I usually do just a few minutes each side (eyeball it).

Asparagus: Don't overcook the asparagus, just steam it (on a plate in the microwave covered with plastic wrap is very fast). Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Mashed potatoes: Use redskin so you don't have to peel them. You can add chives and sourcream, or goat cheese, or whatever you like. Garlic mashed goes very well with the steaks too.

Hard part is timing the steaks and the wine sauce, it's better to reheat the wine sauce than burn the steaks!

captncrzy
05-20-2007, 06:57 AM
I made a killer artichoke risotto last night.

Just make a basic risotto-except use one cup of dry white wine to replace one of the cups of broth; add chopped artichoke hearts and a cup of fresh grated parmesean and a lot of black pepper at the end.

fatbastard
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
The filet, mashie and asparagus plate sounds good.

Today's breakfast.
Cooked 4 farmer john sausages in a non stick pan
Boiled 3 cloves of garlic in a sauce pan
Chopped 2 tomatoes
Chopped 1/2 a brown onion
Chopped 1/3 of a sprig of cilantro
Scrambled 2 eggs and 4 egg whites in a measuring cup
Grated 1 cup of pepper jack cheese

I pulled the sausages off the pan and into a food processor
I added the 3 cloves into the food processor as well
Mixed into a "meat dust"

Added onions to non-stick pan (used oil from sausages to brown)
Added meat dust
Added eggs
Added salt and pepper
Added tomatoes at the 60 second to pull time
Added cilantro after turning off burner

Plated eggs and sprinkled pepper jack cheese on top

Served with corn torillas

gmoneyak
05-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Last night I made prosciutto wrapped sea scallops with a rosemary port butter sauce and wild brown rice.

Now that sounds pretty fucking good right now!!

My specialty is Puerco Pibil...

Straight off the cooking class segment off the "Once upon a time in Mexico" DVD...Pretty damn good..

:)

ewiggy
05-20-2007, 12:40 PM
i can never, ever, ever imagine myself putting that much effort into breakfast. i hate starting off the day having to wash dishes and clean up after myself.

Mixed into a "meat dust"

and while the meal sounds good, "meat dust" does not.

caco0283
05-21-2007, 06:47 AM
im about to make a mean bowl of trix cereal

algunz
05-21-2007, 08:06 AM
If you all like chicken, you need to try the Drunk Chicken. It's easy, it's awesome, and anybody can do it. Even Mabdol & amyzzz. Promise.

Also Asparagus and zucchini on the grill is quick, easy and hard to fuck up. In fact, the BBQ is God's gift to bad & lazy cooks.

Courtney
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I have started making buttermilk pancakes using greek-style plain yogurt. It is a win.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1141/1484518449_8b95a09df2.jpg

P.S. Dani can you please move this thread to the non-music lounge?

gaypalmsprings
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Bananarama

http://www.hungrymag.com/wp-content/images/bananapan.jpg

rage patton
10-04-2007, 03:04 PM
My favorite breakfast ever is Belgain Waffles with Strawberries and whip cream.

Mmmm.

(This thread should be in the misc. lounge)

amyzzz
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
One thing I can actually make well is crepes, since we're talking breakfast food. The last time I made them, I forgot to add the eggs (4 eggs), and I didn't notice anything wrong with them.

Courtney
10-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Bananarama

GPS your pancakes are prettier than mine. I want one of those squeezy bottles for the maple syrup. Is that whipped cream on top?

Courtney
10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
One thing I can actually make well is crepes, since we're talking breakfast food. The last time I made them, I forgot to add the eggs (4 eggs), and I didn't notice anything wrong with them.

Haha Amy. I bet they were very good minus the eggs, they just weren't crepes.

JustSteve
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
I can't cook here because I live in a dorm. But next year I will cook up a storm.

uh, what about toaster oven pizza bagels?

gaypalmsprings
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
GPS your pancakes are prettier than mine. I want one of those squeezy bottles for the maple syrup. Is that whipped cream on top?

The picture came from http://www.hungrymag.com/2007/02/01/big-greek-breakfast/#more-245

GTI_GRL
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Bananarama

mmmmm that looks good

gaypalmsprings
10-05-2007, 05:38 AM
lollipops are good too

http://www.jagpromotions.com/bill/serg/madonnapop.jpg

fatbastard
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
This was not a good thread to look at this early in the AM. Today is day 16 of healthy eating. I was just at the Pancake House in Yorba Linda this past Sunday. Just ate eggs, canadian bacon, and 1 pancake (easy syrup and butter). I use to work down the street from this place and made a goal of trying every pancake dish they served.

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/images/TOP3.jpg

The * indicates that I have eaten them at least once.

*Buttermilk Pancakes
Served with butter and hot syrup.

*Buckwheat Pancakes
Served with whipped butter and hot syrup.

*Potato Pancakes
Served with sour cream or cinnamon applesauce.

*Sourdough Flap Jacks
This recipe was the favorite of the Klondike Gold Rush. Served with whipped butter and hot syrup.

*49'er Flap Jacks
From the Mother Lode Country. Plate sized, chewy, and tender. Served with whipped butter and hot syrup

*Swedish Pancakes
Authentic lacy Swedish pancakes are always a treat. Served with lingonberries from Sweden and whipped butter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Buttermilk pancakes filled with plump blueberries and lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot blueberry compote.

*Bacon Pancakes
Buttermilk pancakes filled with real bits of bacon. Served with whipped butter and hot syrup.

*Banana Pancakes
Buttermilk pancakes filled with diced bananas and lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot tropical syrup.

Hawaiian Pancakes
Our fresh buttermilk pancakes filled with crushed pineapple and lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot tropical syrup.

Georgia Pecan Pancakes
Filled and topped with hot toasted pecans. Lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot tropical syrup.

Coconut Pancakes
Filled and topped with hot toasted coconut. Lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot tropical syrup.

*Dollar Pancakes
Ten delicious silver dollar pancakes served with whipped butter and hot syrup.

*The Two by Four
2 eggs, any style, and 4 buttermilk pancakes. Served with whipped butter and hot syrup.

Three Little Pigs in Blankets
Our special links wrapped in light buttermilk pancakes and lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Served with whipped butter and hot tropical syrup.

Junior Plate
For children under 12 - three buttermilk pancakes with a choice of link or patty sausage or one egg any style. Served with whipped butter and syrup.

*Wheat Germ Pancakes served with whipped butter and hot syrup.

*Apple Pancake - Oven baked with fresh granny smith apples and pure Sinkiang cinnamon glaze.

*Dutch Baby - Oven baked. Served with whipped butter, lemon and powdered sugar

Courtney
10-15-2007, 02:55 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/1556285819_cde96337ee.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/1557166698_bd7112458c.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/1556296715_83a5a87430.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/1557174830_f723129bd3.jpg

TomAz
10-15-2007, 03:05 PM
what happened to the picture of Prince or whatever that is by the s&p shakers? it was there then it disappeared.

great choice on the sea salt. you could do better on the mustard. Maille.

TomAz
10-15-2007, 03:06 PM
also, cool plants outside the window.

did you seriously refold your napkin or did you just never use it?

Courtney
10-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I concur on the mustard. But I'm gonna say Pommery ftw.

http://www.quickdubai.com/ProductImages/Pommery_mustard.jpg

Courtney
10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Also Pommery costs like $18.95 at the grocery store here.

Courtney
10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Prince was a postcard; I read it and then must have put it down on the part of the table not pictured. I don't think I used my napkin.

TomAz gets an A+ for close-looking.

vogina
10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
i made this week:

shrimp enchiladas
, turkey pot pie
, scratch mac n cheese
, ginger crusted salmon
, wasabi mash potatoes,
chorizo con huebos y tofu for a hearty morning workout meal.
jack daniels marinated ribeye with baked potatoe and asparagus
, lunch sandwich with onion roll, cheddar, swiss, pastrami, pickled jalepenos, onion, avocado, bacon and spiced mayo.mmmmmmmmm

i lost over 190lbs since july 2005 and i've learned how to cook, somewhat.. enough to make restauraunt quality food.

i cook for my lady, and she loves me for it.. and sometimes my sister mom and dad.

Courtney
10-15-2007, 03:14 PM
wasabi mash: yes yes yes yes

Congrats on learning to cook and getting healthy!

BROKENDOLL
10-15-2007, 03:36 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/1556285819_cde96337ee.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/1557166698_bd7112458c.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/1556296715_83a5a87430.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/1557174830_f723129bd3.jpg
I almost hardly noticed the sandwich because of the outdoor background...I LOVED HAWAII!!! So envious...

TomAz
10-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I concur on the mustard. But I'm gonna say Pommery ftw.

http://www.quickdubai.com/ProductImages/Pommery_mustard.jpg

I don't think I've ever had that. where do you get it? W-S?

Courtney
10-15-2007, 04:11 PM
W-S?

Huh?

You can get that mustard from select gourmet grocers. And probably also places with fancy mail order like Dean & Deluca or whatever.

TomAz
10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
sorry. Williams-Sonoma. at the mall. next to the Crate & Barrel.

Courtney
10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh haha. Right. I should go there. I think I have $140 in credit from returning a crappy knife.

Also apparently Amazon.com has it too (http://www.amazon.com/Pommery-Moutarde-de-Meaux-17oz/dp/B0001BH5YM). And I'm not feeling so bad about Hawaii prices anymore.

fatbastard
10-16-2007, 05:19 PM
I had some of those grapes on Sunday. The 3-4 little seeds bug the heck out of me.

What is the taste and texture of that Pommery mustard? Is it grainy or smooth?

Courtney
10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
It's a whole-grain mustard which contains the crushed seeds, so it's extremely grainy and thick in texture. The flavor itself is quite delicate compared with many mustards.

fatbastard
10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Mmmmm. That sounds good. Need to try that out.

Courtney
11-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I think I want to use some of my leftover pumpkin puree to make pumpkin rice pudding. Anyone have a good rice pudding recipe?

amyzzz
11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have a salsa recipe? Preferably with tomatoes in it. Thanks.

TomAz
11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I have this book:

http://www.hotstuffnow.com/covers/0898155177_l.gif

and my favorite one in there is the Roasted Tomato Chipotle Salsa. it's a bit of work though:

1/4 c + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (use decent stuff, most of it is going in the salsa straight)
2 lbs Roma tomatoes
1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
4 tsp roasted garlic, minced. (Note: to roast garlic, I peel about 4 cloves or so and put them in a little pan on a burner set on medium or med low, no oil or anything, and let them get slowly browned and softened. it'll take about 10 mins, maybe less).
1/2 c cilantro leaves, chopped up
4 whole chipotles en adobo, chopped (these are the canned kind, don't buy the dried kind)
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste

First roast the tomatoes. I do this buy putting them on a baking sheet and sticking them under a broiler and letting the skins get charred and cracked all over, turning once. When done set them out to cool but don't peel them yet.

Then, heat the 1 tbsp oil in a pan and sautee the onion over med heat til carmelized, about 10 mins.

Then, put half the roasted tomatoes with their skins on, plus the carmalized onion, plus the garlic into a food processor (blender will work if you don't have one) and pulse until finely chopped but not pureed. You don't want to puree this, you want little bits mixed together. Then add the cilantro and chipotles and pulse again to mix.

Peel and seed the other half of the tomatoes and chop them up and put them in a good sized mixing bowl. Fold in the stuff from the food processor along with the oil, vinegar, and sugar, then add some salt (1/2 to 1 tsp does the trick for me) so that it tastes right.

amyzzz
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
(blender will work if you don't have one)
:pulse :pulse you read my mind. Thank you, thank you, Tom. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll try it.

Courtney
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
That salsa sounds amazing.

Tom, does that book include crazy, non-traditional "salsas" like cucumber and papaya or something, or is it mostly tomato/tomatillo-based?