PDA

View Full Version : thinking of heading over from the uk

kajakin
01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
k, well im contemplating whether or not to head over from the UK, If i do head over I will prob be heading over by my self as I am a student and most of my mates are broke so any other peeps thinking of going give me a message. sounds like an awesome lineup and to be honest I dont have a clue of where to start from and would hate to end up over there on my lonesome. so if anyone is heading over from the UK or near enough n has a spare space or whatever let me know if not I'm gonna be stuck with reading and maybe Glasto which wouldn't be too bad but wouldn't be hlf as good as catching sum of the best bands in an awesone location. k well am starting to bullshit now but anyways give me a shout

back4more
01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey mate,

I am originally also from the UK (Scotland) but have been living in Sydney for five years.

I went over to Coachella for the first time last year. I was also by myself as I was in the US for work just before the festival and decided to check it out afterwards.

Back in Vegas for work again this year and have my ticket for Coachella as well.

Don't worry about going solo, especially if you stay at the campsite, as you will meet cool people there to hang out with. I did last year and had a great time. Will be even better this year now that it is three days instead of two, not to mention the cracking line up.

alexwalker
01-24-2007, 04:03 AM
hey dude, im comin from england too. i been trying to price up flights, hotel and ticket and tryinrg to get from a hotel to the coachella site. I wanna stay in Palm Springs, its 25 mins away ffrom the festival site. i just wondered which company u were using for flight, hotel etc

SheriNOIR
01-24-2007, 04:20 AM
Hey, I'm coming from England. I haven't a clue how I'm gonna do this yet, Hopefully carpooling it there and back. Which airport were you thinking of landing in ? Palm Springs ?

Sheri.

schneedlepop
01-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Hey, me and 4 of my mates are flying out from Manchester airport early on the Thursday. We are planning on flying to LA then getting a bus to palm springs and then maybe a cab to Coachella.

Very elaborate I know but I guess that's the only way?!

Feel free to join in!

SheriNOIR
01-24-2007, 04:34 AM
Sure, I'll help with costs etc. IS it a long ride from the airport to palm springs ? If we can't get a bus I'm sure there'll be many travellers going that way and we could catch a ride.

Thanks for the help, Sheri.

dominick
01-24-2007, 04:59 AM
Yeah Im doing Coachella but will still do Glasto its the best festival ive been to

ricardinho
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
hey schneedlepop im lookin at flyin down from manchester what company are you usein

I_am_138
01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
hey dude, im comin from england too. i been trying to price up flights, hotel and ticket and tryinrg to get from a hotel to the coachella site. I wanna stay in Palm Springs, its 25 mins away ffrom the festival site. i just wondered which company u were using for flight, hotel etc

dude, common misconception as well as LIE, Palm Springs is not 25 minutes away! It was in the 50's when there weren't any traffic lights, but now it's almost an hour with traffic. 45 minutes if you're lucky.

I_am_138
01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Just some advice to the UK/foreigners(since I was one)...
Although your currency is by far the best everything adds up. A cab ride from palm springs(airport or not) will run you around $50-$70 each way. It is well worth it to take the greyhound from LA to the INDIO stop. Once you get off you can get a cheap cab or walk to your hotel/campgrounds. It's a trek though.
If you stay in Palm Springs and rent a car, the drive to Coachella will take a good 50 minutes. Surface roads suck and most of the drive will be on them.
Please don't believe the 25 minutes you've been hearing, you will be horribly suprised later and regret you didn't carve enough time out. If you plan on staying for the headliner, you won't get back to your hotel in Palm Springs till about 3:00 AM, if you're lucky. If you have any questions pleas PM me. I used to live in this area and have gone every year.
Greyhound is $24.50 each way
Rancho Mirage cab company: (760) 322-2008
Enterprise is the cheapest rent-a-car, but do search around.

nabila
01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
gosh you guys are all so helpful, im planning on coming from london with 2 friends, flying into lax and then gonna stay in a hostal for a day (i hear they're quite cheap) and then head to indio on the greyhound, camp it up for the 3 days and then head back! its all very exciting

if anyone wants to add me on msn scouse0163@msn.com go ahead and we can share ideas/worries etc, its quite stressful plannin somethin like this when you live so far away!!

ellipsis
01-24-2007, 07:34 PM
what sort of prices are you lot paying for flights?

just wanna know how i can make them as cheap as possible

dekr510
01-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey mate,

I am originally also from the UK (Scotland) but have been living in Sydney for five years.

I went over to Coachella for the first time last year. I was also by myself as I was in the US for work just before the festival and decided to check it out afterwards.

Back in Vegas for work again this year and have my ticket for Coachella as well.

Don't worry about going solo, especially if you stay at the campsite, as you will meet cool people there to hang out with. I did last year and had a great time. Will be even better this year now that it is three days instead of two, not to mention the cracking line up.

what kind of work do you do if you don't mind me asking, I would love to live in Australia and travel to vegas for work. sorry this is off topic, just curious

SWEETSHIVERBURN
01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
gosh you guys are all so helpful, im planning on coming from london with 2 friends, flying into lax and then gonna stay in a hostal for a day (i hear they're quite cheap) and then head to indio on the greyhound, camp it up for the 3 days and then head back! its all very exciting

if anyone wants to add me on msn scouse0163@msn.com go ahead and we can share ideas/worries etc, its quite stressful plannin somethin like this when you live so far away!!

book your hostel stay NOW. AND they are usually pretty cheap..mind you it is a dorm like setting and they have a curfew.

http://www.hostelhandbook.com/usa/cala.htm

Tomasz
01-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Flights should be somewhere around the 300 mark, maybe a little bit less, maybe more, see what you can get.

I'm flying over, hopefully making a week/ten days out of it, visiting San Francisco and Las Vegas, just going to the festival alone seems a bit of a waste.

sonofhal
01-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Got my flights for just over 300 with Virgin, but they've gone up to 550 now, as their sale finished. American Airlines are still around the 300 mark.

I've hired a villa about 30 mins from the site, and it holds 8 peeps. Stayed there last year and it's massive - At the moment, there are only 4 of us confirmed. I may have some space, but it depends if my mates get their fingers out of their asses or not.

nabila
01-25-2007, 05:25 AM
book your hostel stay NOW. AND they are usually pretty cheap..mind you it is a dorm like setting and they have a curfew.

http://www.hostelhandbook.com/usa/cala.htm

Excellent thanks alot, gna wait until i get my coachella tix and then ill book straight away.

just realised does ticketmaster.com accpet switch cards? im guessing no...sooo if i get my mum and dad to book ill be ok getting in without their card right cos most of the time they dont check over here?

back4more
01-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Hello,

I am a talent scout for adult movies.

Nah, just kidding. I'm a magazine editor. The mag covers the broadcasting industry. There's a big broadcast convention in Vegas every April called NAB (www.nabshow.com) that my work sends me over to cover. Pretty handy that Coachella is on right after it.
There's one in Amsterdam called IBC in September as well. Went to Reading fetival before that one last year. Reckon it's all going to come ot an end soon though as they are putting a squeeze on the budgets at work so going to make the most of this trip. Going To LA and San Francisco after Vegas and before Coachella.

smokeMonkey
01-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Excellent thanks alot, gna wait until i get my coachella tix and then ill book straight away.

just realised does ticketmaster.com accpet switch cards? im guessing no...sooo if i get my mum and dad to book ill be ok getting in without their card right cos most of the time they dont check over here?

Hi Guys

I'm from London (south east) and I'm going to buy 3 day ticket or the last day (if they re available); i want to go there simply because of RATM.

Non one my friends can join me simply because it cost to much/late notice... which mean i will be a loan ranger.

At the moment i don't have a clue what I'll do all i know is that I'll be there for three days and then visit San Fran. I don't know where i want to stay, camp, who i will fly with etc.

so what i'm looking for is some nice friendly people who i can travel and can have a laugh with [drinking and partying :)]

thanks in advance

Nizam

smokeMonkey
01-26-2007, 11:42 AM
k, well im contemplating whether or not to head over from the UK, If i do head over I will prob be heading over by my self as I am a student and most of my mates are broke so any other peeps thinking of going give me a message. sounds like an awesome lineup and to be honest I dont have a clue of where to start from and would hate to end up over there on my lonesome. so if anyone is heading over from the UK or near enough n has a spare space or whatever let me know if not I'm gonna be stuck with reading and maybe Glasto which wouldn't be too bad but wouldn't be hlf as good as catching sum of the best bands in an awesone location. k well am starting to bullshit now but anyways give me a shout

mate where are you from? London?

JCz84
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm also coming from the UK. Got my ticket and camping pass but have no idea about any of the rest of it. Looks like I'll be on my own due to lack of money/time/interest from my friends.

I live in Carlisle so probably heading out from Glasgow or Manchester to LAX then greyhound to Indio. Sounds ok in theory anyway.....

Maybe staying a few days afterwards, renting a car, hitting the road It's all just ideas at the moment.

So, if anyone has any good ideas, advice or want to meet up feel free to email/IM me: silicone_soul at hotmail.com.

Jay

Tomasz
01-27-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm pretty sure we can setup a UK camp together, make cups of tea and talk about the weather :)

Goingblankagain
01-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Yeah that that would be cool

SheriNOIR
01-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Team UK.

schneedlepop
01-27-2007, 03:34 AM
Hey, my plan has changed now. We are heading to Vegas for two days then going to see RATM on the Sunday. My dad's driving us down and back to our hotel. It's one LONG LONG trip but it'll be worth it!

I wouldn't mind being part of team UK though!

MrRob
01-27-2007, 06:31 AM
glad to see there are a number of uk heads making the pilgrimage to ths festival! i work festival seasons in the uk, doing about 5 a summer, but i saw this line up and nearly wet myself! im coming with a few mates, as our final student loan cheque lands the day before the festival, and this is obviously the way its ment to be spent!

ive bin checkin out the campin info tho, and this sounds like the most lame set up in the world! no beer in, no drug parifinalia, cocktails in a club house and camp wardens with a noise curfew??? what is all that about?
someone please tell me that this is just the official line, and that these rules are easily broken, cos we re gonna book these tickets in a couple of hours and dont wanna find ourselves in camp lame usa!

fro-ed
01-27-2007, 07:58 AM
ill be going on my own as well(sad life aint it) wondered if anyone else one there own wanted to join forces lol.

Tomasz
01-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Go team UK!

Camping rules do look to be fairly 'adult', but when in Rome...

shoveitupmytoolbox
01-27-2007, 11:13 AM
most of the time 'palm springs' encompasses not only palm springs 'city' (laugh) but also the surrounding areas such as rancho mirage, palm desert etc. If you stay in a house or hotel in palm desert you're only a 30 minute drive from the festival. we did last year and had a cab bring us to the concert and pick us up each day for $50 each way - not bad between 5 people. Although you can drive as easily as you'll sober up by the time you've walked out of the festival and found your car...

flora mouse
01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey!

This is excellent. I really didnt imagine that there would be so many folk going from Britain.

I'm flying in from Glasgow, Scotland and my 2 other friends who I'm coming with are leaving from the midlands - I think.

We've not booked our flights yet though.

I think we're going to fly out on the wednesday and stay in LA for a night to get over the jetlag, then hire a car and drive - although, the greyhound option seems more apealing cos we obviously wont know where we're going.

I'm so excited about this. I think I might strip naked and run down the street.

I mean, a 3 day festival in CA with the best line up I've seen in my life.

Whooooooooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!

x

matt504hrs
01-27-2007, 11:51 AM
a meet up is in order

Tomasz
01-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm so excited about this. I think I might strip naked and run down the street

You might want to do that in Cali' rather than Glasgow, it's way hotter over there :)

[murray]
01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
I am a Brit and I am coming over with 3 people. I have done extensive research in to the cheapest options for flights and stuff (cause I am a poor student) and the cheapest flights I have managed to find were 280 returns (with tax) from Manchester to LAX from www.aa.com. Don't buy from expedia or such websites as they are confusing and don't seem to get you the best deals, especially as the prices on those sites don't seem to include tax.

I am camping so don't have to worry about hotels but I am going to have sleep somewhere on the night of the 25th, possibly a hostel in LA. Then greyhound to Indio on the 26th.

I need to find out my exam results before I know exactly when Im going and stuff though, but a team UK thing would be a great idea, it could be a really good laugh.

flora mouse
01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
You might want to do that in Cali' rather than Glasgow, it's way hotter over there :)

when it comes to expressing excitement, then venue is low on the agenda......

tho, you are right.

Is coachella a "strip naked" kinda festival??

or is it all health and safety and political correctness?

out of interest?

therebelious1
01-28-2007, 06:12 AM
excellent- i'm coming on my lonesome from Aberdeen (& camping onsite) - not sure about flights and exact duration of stay yet, but i was leaning towards hiring a set of wheels from LAX. Anyone else considering the same?

JoeW88
01-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Hey,

I'm heading over from the East Midlands, Gatwick to Ontario seems the cheapest option I've found, with the Greyhound going from nearby Claremont (anyone know how close this actually is to ONT?) to Indio.

I'm travelling alone and it'd be ace to meet up with people from the UK, only trouble is I don't arrive in Indio until 2am local, so I doubt I'll find any of you.

Tomasz
01-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Is coachella a "strip naked" kinda festival??

or is it all health and safety and political correctness?

out of interest?

It seems a lot more 'adult' than our UK drink-fests, but I'm sure random nudity is always welcome, and understandable in the heat...

MrSheen
01-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Hey all!
Theres 4 of us flying from Heathrow into LAX then hiring a car to drive to the site. Whereas I'd like to meet some natives over there, would be cool to meet up with some fellow UK'ers. Bit of a task trying to arrange a meet over there aint it though? Unless we all get union jacks on big sticks strapped to our backs, but thats just a bit weird!! :)

Hexaflex
01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Is there any way we can get a map of the campsite area? If there's a map, we can all try and decide on a rough area where the UK'ers want to camp. Get a few people with tall flagpoles to stick in the ground like they do at Leeds and we'll be laughing!

Might be a bit more difficult for the people who are staying in motels and suchlike, but I'm sure we'll work something out. Brits unite! :)

ov3rdose
01-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Another guy coming over from the UK here :) . Would be great to meet up, as I'm going solo. I need to finalise tickets and flights etc.
Anyone know how easy it is to organise overseas purhases from ticketmaster for the fest?
Cheers

therebelious1
01-28-2007, 10:05 AM
unless you have a contact in the US, you'll have to have your tickets held in something called 'will call'. you have to go to the polo field in indio and you show them an official photo ID & the card you used to buy the tickets with in order to get the tickets.

seems a bit much to ask us to travel almost exactly half way round the world on the premise that there hasnt been a computer glitch or fookup...

smokeMonkey
01-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Found this article about outside camping, while searching for campsite map.
http://wehow.ehow.com/how_2019911_camp-offsite-coachella.html

official coachella off site guide: http://www.coachella.com/camping/?offsite

useful for room? http://www.southwestrooms.com/coachella.html

map of the area.
http://static.flickr.com/31/61680048_85f1be8d20_o.jpg

and google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Coachella+&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.323463,113.027344&ie=UTF8&z=11&ll=33.713488,-116.247025&spn=0.229609,0.441513&t=k&om=1&iwloc=C

ellipsis
01-28-2007, 10:33 AM
someone told me that you need a visa to travel from the UK to the USA. is this right?(i doubt it)

therebelious1
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
you'll get a tourist visa from immigration on your way into the 'land of freedom' should be good for up to a few weeks- as long as you dont plan on doing any work while your over...

ellipsis
01-28-2007, 10:53 AM
you'll get a tourist visa from immigration on your way into the 'land of freedom' should be good for up to a few weeks- as long as you dont plan on doing any work while your over...

so i don't have to do anything for it? i'll just get one as a matter of course?

smokeMonkey
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I think you need visa... dont they also require a biometric passport or id?

Hexaflex
01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Afaik, you don't need a visa for travelling from the UK as long as you go for less than 90 days for either tourism or business, you've got a machine-readable passport, and a few other conditions (like not being a criminal). Check http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/visiting.html , but I think that's the gist of it.

I damn well hope you don't need a visa, anyway, because I'm visiting the states for just shy of 3 months as a gap-year US travel extraveganza. >.>

Frodo
01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm going with a couple of mates, got my tickets yesterday, would be happy to meet up along the way or at the festival, get a proper British RATM camp going, show everyone how it's done (haha). Going to flying out of London...not sure when yet as I'm trying to sort out a trip to San Diego afterwards.

ov3rdose
01-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Cheers for the help. Hopefully see some of you guys come april!

Philthy
01-29-2007, 06:20 AM
Frodo - if you're camping onsite......it's not like Reading or Glastonbury. You have to be quiet after 2am I think. There's nobody shouting "BOLLOCKS" all night. And it's not dirty and scummy like UK festivals.

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Manchester to Georgia, Georgia to LAX, LAX to Union station, Union station to Palm springs, Cab from palm springs to Indio...its going to be a bloody busy day.

I CANT WAIT!

Oh BTW, if anybody is arriving on the thurs in Indio, two of my friends and I will be taking a cab, so if anybody wants, you can come, we'll get a seven seater or something.

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey, my plan has changed now. We are heading to Vegas for two days then going to see RATM on the Sunday. My dad's driving us down and back to our hotel. It's one LONG LONG trip but it'll be worth it!

I wouldn't mind being part of team UK though!

But you have to be british....

Mr Dogs
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
unless you have a contact in the US, you'll have to have your tickets held in something called 'will call'. you have to go to the polo field in indio and you show them an official photo ID & the card you used to buy the tickets with in order to get the tickets.

seems a bit much to ask us to travel almost exactly half way round the world on the premise that there hasnt been a computer glitch or fookup...

Halfway round the world? Hardly...

Anyway...immigration/visas: You get 2 immigration forms on the plane, one white, the other green. Fill them in accurately and completely, or you'll get sent to the back of the queue at passport control. You'll need the address for the first night of your stay, so make sure you've got it to hand. Take a pen if you're flying BA, 'cos the staff never seem to have any. Most of the questions involve 'yes/no' answers and are really straightforward. You'll need to retain part of the green form until you depart. You do need a machine readable passport, which I'd suggest all are (mine expires this year and is fine). You'll be fingerprinted and have your face photographed on arrival. One other thing: US customs officials have the power to open your luggage. If it's locked, they are perfectly entitled to break the locks. Buy TSA approved locks (about a tenner, available all over the place). Staff have a master key and can open your checked luggage if needed without damaging it.

Cheers,

M

Meadowsmeister
01-29-2007, 03:20 PM
i love the questions on the immigration forms

are you a nazi? yes/no
have you ever participated in genocide? yes/no
are your political tendancies communist? yes/no

Bloody paranoid yanks.. I love em though..

shoveitupmytoolbox
01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
i think they brought in the new law this week that requires all visitors to have their retina scanned by a strobe laser light followed by a hot poker burned into your arse which says 'welcome to the good old usa'.

PS - keep your eye out at SF customs for the bloke with the 'tash and the beagle dog who sniffs at your genitals looking for drugs..

hitthenorth
01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Are people really planning to endure a 14 hour flight and not hang round for a while?
Here's my plan:
Fly from Manchester on 18th, pick up Ford Mustang and burn up the coast for this: http://www.myspace.com/folkyeahpresents
Californian doom folk in the woods with a load of hippies sound pretty good to me.
Next, on to San Francisco for a day or two, then head back 500 miles or whatever for Jesus and Mary Chain, LCD Soundsystem, Jose Gonzalez and RATM.
Finally, take stupid thirsty car back on 30th, get on plane and fall asleep.

Tomasz
01-31-2007, 03:23 AM
Nah, what you want to do is fly in on the 25th, rent a mustang, go to the festival, rock, drive to vegas for a couple of days, drive to 'Cisco, stop there for four days then drive back to LAX. It's what all the cool kids are doing...

back4more
02-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Are people really planning to endure a 14 hour flight and not hang round for a while?
Here's my plan:
Fly from Manchester on 18th, pick up Ford Mustang and burn up the coast for this: http://www.myspace.com/folkyeahpresents
Californian doom folk in the woods with a load of hippies sound pretty good to me.
Next, on to San Francisco for a day or two, then head back 500 miles or whatever for Jesus and Mary Chain, LCD Soundsystem, Jose Gonzalez and RATM.
Finally, take stupid thirsty car back on 30th, get on plane and fall asleep.

I am flying over from Sydney for this (I live there but I'm Scottish) but going to LA, Vegas then San Francisco before Coachella. Flying back to SF from Palm Springs on the 30th but not booked transport from SF to Coachella yet, so if you want to share the cost of your trip and have a laugh on the way, give me a shout. Rocking up in a Mustang sounds right up my street.

fatboy192
02-08-2007, 03:49 PM
right, a message for all you people thinkin ohhhh i don't know wether to travel from the uk for the festival it costs alot to, JUST FUCKING DO IT, rage can not be missed!!!!! from a pissed conversation on friday night about it, me and my mate in edinburgh have bought tickets, just booked flights, delta airlines is the cheapest i have found 325 return 1 stop got it through lastminuet.com because the delta site don't take switch, it's turned into a two week holiday (hey why the hell not paying for flights might as well travel a bit while we are there) BRING IT ON!!! for the people traveling on there own i would recomend camping, you meet loads of people have a great laugh, get a tan, see some quailty bands (there ain't no festival in the uk with that kind of a line up (and i doubt that there ever will be i mean snow patrole headlin t in the park wtf is that all about) and zero chance of rain) there comes a time in your life when something comes along that you just have to say FUCK IT and go!!!!!

summerkid
02-08-2007, 03:52 PM

I didn't know the English said dude...I can't picture it...