PDA

View Full Version : The Rumors, The Rumors

politechaos
01-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Here's the reports I've gleaned from websites, assistants, news reports and radio DJ's. This is all speculation, so don't think I'm announcing anything official and I am in no way affiliated with the fine people at Goldenvoice.

Possibilities:

The Police (despite the presale password being a joke, they're looking for a place to perform and Bonnaroo is out)

Gwen Stefani (I shudder, but her tour dates are open)

Smashing Pumpkins (Billy keeps hinting at a reunion around this time, despite the fact it seems James Iha and D'arcy are refusing.)

David Bowie (Just because he's wanted to, but a longshot)

Modest Mouse (As they speculated that they were going to be there this year anyways.)

The Dresden Dolls (Okay, I have nothing to support this, but they are on my wish list.)

Maybes:

Muse (They're open, but will they show up?)

Lady Sovereign (Widely rumored)

Queens of the Stone Age (Also said they may play, but that was awhile back)

The Killers (Coming off a world tour, they may want a break. And the month break they'd have might kill their momentum.)

Incubus (Same deal as The Killers)

Fat Boy Slim (Spending some time in Brazil beforehand, may not want to head right back out)

Impossibilities:

The Knife (One of the members is pregnant, so highly unlikely)

Daft Punk (Have no desire to return to the U.S.)

Neil Young (I would love to have him play, but I don't think he's even considered it.)

Bright Eyes (Air is already on the schedule. Add Bright Eyes and people will fall asleep all over the place)

Justin Timberlake (He's in England on those dates)

Pearl Jam (Flying back from London to New York on their way to Toronto. Don't expect a stop off in the desert.)

+44/Angels & Airwaves (Travis Barker is injured, the others aren't around)

Morrissey/The Smiths (I hate to constantly dispel this rumor, but last year was the last chance. Marr and Rourke performed in 2005, but Morrissey continues to refuse, and even turned down 5 million last year to reunite. Will he make it up this year? More than unlikely.)

And finally, the rumors to really set your minds a-spinning:

Prodigy (playing in the desert a month earlier and ready to hit the desert again.)

Moby (eager to get out and get a chance to speak in front of 100,000+)

Celine Dion (got you!)

PLEASE note that the organizer for Coachella announced this morning on KROQ (Los Angeles - 106.7FM) that there will be LESS BANDS EACH DAY so very few will be added as surprises, though that one certainly will.

Also keep in mind the powerful activism roots behind Ozomatli, Manu Chao and RATM. So bands like Mana may show up as well, but take that with a grain of salt.

That's my report, hope it helps.

-P.C.
Music Reporter

politechaos
01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
NOT OFFICIAL BUT IMPORTANT

Tom Dumont, eager to represent Surfrider and Stop Whaling is rumoring a one-shot reunion of NO DOUBT.

Not so upset about the Gwen possibility now, are you?

(okay, maybe you might still be.)

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
air and bright eyes aren't even in the same arena to me.

superfiction
01-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Daft Punk (Have no desire to return to the U.S.)

i dont know who told yiou this but they were lying.

but they still wont be at coachella

york707
01-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Ivy, have you wandered into the wrong thread?

politechaos
01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Excuse the Daft Punk note. What I meant was this year. They will return, but not for awhile.

And while Air and Bright Eyes are different, my personal opinion is that they both can double as sleep aids. (I love Air, and will be there to watch them btw)

RandyinPhila
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
NOT OFFICIAL BUT IMPORTANT

Tom Dumont, eager to represent Surfrider and Stop Whaling is rumoring a one-shot reunion of NO DOUBT.

Not so upset about the Gwen possibility now, are you?

(okay, maybe you might still be.)

How possible is this really?

luckyface
01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Multiple artists are playing shows in LA less than a month before Coachella so they will not be there (aka Muse. Get over it people). On top of that, the Pumpkins have been working on an album for months. It's not a new thing.

york707
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Sorry, Ivy, I missed that part of his post. I agree - very different. Air in '04 is in my top 3 Coachella performances (Daft Punk and The Arcade Fire being the other two).

paulb
01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
id love to see some of those bands at Coachella, but who really know whats gonna go down. RATM werent even rumored until like a week before Coachella was announced.

erikness
01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I still think Modest Mouse will be THE big late addition. I honestly don't see why they wouldn't play.

york707
01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Maybe they don't want to? Maybe they weren't asked?

sighlent
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
as of now the pumpkins will not be ready for coachella, this has nothing to do with james or d'arcy because neither of them are part of the reunion.

erikness
01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe they don't want to? Maybe they weren't asked?
Very true. This is probably the case. But I still believe that they will play!

braundiggity
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Bonnaroo is out for the Police? Says who? (I mean, I hope you're right, but I think they'll be there)

M Sparks
01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
as of now the pumpkins will not be ready for coachella, this has nothing to do with james or d'arcy because neither of them are part of the reunion.

Wow, we're really stretching the definition of "Reunion" then. If two of the three most important members aren't involved...well, how does one guy "reunite" with himself? (Not to put down Jimmy, but he wasn't an original member, got replaced by a machine towards the end, and he's been working with Billy anyway, so what's the big deal?)

CiderMouseRules
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
To me, Jimmy is the soul of the Pumpkins, though. ALL of their good stuff has him on drums.

That said, a Pumpkins performance without the Billy-James tension subtext would be worthless as well.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Still hoping for that Thom Yorke appearance...

AEversW
01-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Still hoping for that Thom Yorke appearance...

me too...me tooo...thom in the gobi with just an acoustic guitar would make my life.

woogie846
01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I find it hard to believe that The Hold Steady haven't been added yet.

SometimesNJ
01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
me too...me tooo...thom in the gobi with just an acoustic guitar would make my life.

that would be awesome *crosses fingers*

GirlFromMars
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
This might seem far but I was hoping that Ash would play. They're releasing a new album soon.
And especially since I missed them in 2004.

hangthedj112
01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Thom Yorke flying all the way over here just to play a set @ coachella seems very unlikely, especially since he's spoken out about Radiohead stopping touring all together if there can't be a more enviromentally friendly way to do it. We all know flying contributes to that pesky global warming problem, another thing Yorke has been especially vocal about.