PDA

View Full Version : Official The Sopranos thread

breakjaw
04-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I swear I am equally as excited for this as I am for Coachella,and I've missed both the last two years.
Speaking of which,how am I going to hold out in the campgrounds Sunday night without knowing what has happened on The Sopranos?

thelastgreatman
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah I know, missing that episode really is going to kinda bug me. This season should be fucking amazing though, not even because it's the last season, but if anyone else has read any of the sum-ups of the main storylines for these episodes I think they'd agree that it sounds like a wonderful making for a tight conclusion.

breakjaw
04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm purposefully not reading ANYTHING because two seasons ago I read something in TV Guide that said a major character would die early in the season,and it made me just think about who it would be,instead of just enjoying it.
I plan on watching it at 6PM every Sunday(except for the 29th) so I guess I can read this thread safely and I promise to write SPOILER ALERT if I discuss anything that happened in that nights episode....

mob roulette
04-09-2007, 07:12 AM
poor bobby. this magic moment indeed. good ep.

also maybe retitle the thread simply "The Sopranos (SPOILERS ALERT)" and we shouldn't have any problems.

meaning i'm in. i'm all over this show. i catch all the references and meta moments too. i will post every monday as well.

exhibit a: tony gets bj for bday, makes fun of sister for giving one under boardwalk. this magic moment used twice in episode, once for tony interspersed with iraq news, not quite so magical. second time is bobby's, at the end, and it truly is magical what with daughter and all. the drifters other big hit?

"under the boardwalk, that guy's schlong in jan's mouth..."

this show is outstanding. still. so good.

faxman75
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Bobby screwed up his cherry poppin' murder. The guy he shot totally ripped his shirt and held onto it. Bobby didn't take it with him.

Bobby brings the whole family crumbling.

AJ with the 4-5 year old in his arms sucking on a pacifier. WTF Great stuff.

TomAz
04-09-2007, 07:58 AM
http://www.sailgb.com/pi/RoadPro/D2222.jpg

thinnerair
04-09-2007, 08:10 AM
I didn't know Ronnie did a cameo on the Sopranos. Too bad he got killed so quickly.

I dont know why he dropped the gun.
I dont know why he didnt pull the shirt back. This is all too obvious.
He spoke on the boat about how easy it is to get caught with DNA testing, forensic evidence, etc...what a maroon.

shotglass75
04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I swear to god the tension that was building while they were playing Monopoly was nuts. I was just waiting for something to happen like it did. This season will be great.

mob roulette
04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I didn't know Ronnie did a cameo on the Sopranos. Too bad he got killed so quickly.

I dont know why he dropped the gun.
I dont know why he didnt pull the shirt back. This is all too obvious.
He spoke on the boat about how easy it is to get caught with DNA testing, forensic evidence, etc...what a maroon.

leave the gun, take the cannoli. rule #1. firearm is likely unregistered. he will likely get nailed on the shirt though. dumbass. feel bad cause he was so nervous and not thinking straight but still. dumbass.

also paulie's the only one walking away from all this. bet on it. chris is a dead man, tony either locked up or flipping, silvio nailed for murder or attempted if adriana comes back, janice nailed for richie aprile if tony flips, junior looking more and more like a likely suicide candidate. i mean, who's left, not counting the kids?

mob roulette
04-16-2007, 06:31 AM
i decided that the thing i love/hate the most about this show is its open-ended nature. i notice now that they have made it very easy to say that silvio never killed adriana. very easy. we will see.

BlueDevil50
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
how do you figure???? he shot her in the woods, how could he have not?

Hannahrain
04-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Show some sensitivity, bluedevil. You shouldn't talk about a shooting like it doesn't matter.

BlueDevil50
04-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Show some sensitivity, bluedevil. You shouldn't talk about a shooting like it doesn't matter.

lol wow...

mob roulette
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM

they never showed it. adriana is silvio's niece. he could have let her go and paid her loads of hush money. improbable but possible. but they're setting it up so that you might entertain these kinds of thoughts anyway.

BlueDevil50
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
they never showed it. adriana is silvio's niece. he could have let her go and paid her loads of hush money. improbable but possible. but they're setting it up so that you might entertain these kinds of thoughts anyway.

yessir they did in fact show it...cant get specific but sylvio picked her up acting like he was gonna take her to meet up with chris, takes her to the woods and then shoots her. i definitely wish she was still alive cuz shes a hottie but no sir, she got shot. i wanna say season 5....good episode though. she was flippin to the FBI and she wanted chris to run away with her, chris said ok but really told tony the deal, so they took care of it. anyways, hope this refreshes your memory. gotta love them sopranos...

jackstraw94086
04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
yessir they did in fact show it...cant get specific but sylvio picked her up acting like he was gonna take her to meet up with chris, takes her to the woods and then shoots her. i definitely wish she was still alive cuz shes a hottie but no sir, she got shot. i wanna say season 5....good episode though. she was flippin to the FBI and she wanted chris to run away with her, chris said ok but really told tony the deal, so they took care of it. anyways, hope this refreshes your memory. gotta love them sopranos...

he meant they never actually showed her being shot. They just showed silvio chasing after her in the woods.

I do believe she's dead though. It's just that showing her actually being shot would have been kind of brutal even for Sopranos.

BlueDevil50
04-16-2007, 11:22 PM
he meant they never actually showed her being shot. They just showed silvio chasing after her in the woods.

I do believe she's dead though. It's just that showing her actually being shot would have been kind of brutal even for Sopranos.

hmmmm i could of sworn it showed her on the ground and syl pointing the gun and shooting, but not actually seeing adrianna shot. but i could be wrong. like you said though, shes definitely gone...any predicitions on who dies this final season?

bballarl
04-16-2007, 11:50 PM
I need to watch this show.

jackstraw94086
04-16-2007, 11:58 PM
hmmmm i could of sworn it showed her on the ground and syl pointing the gun and shooting, but not actually seeing adrianna shot. but i could be wrong. like you said though, shes definitely gone...any predicitions on who dies this final season?

after this last episode I'm more convinced than ever it's going to be Chris.
The ultimate would be Chris betraying Tony.

btw how awesome was the dinner scene with Silvio where the the NY guy got shot. That was old school.

BlueDevil50
04-17-2007, 12:21 AM
haha no doubt...pretty crazy when all of a sudden blood was on sil's face. but man, i dont want sil or chris to die! those two are my favorites...but i could definitely seen something with chris...kinda shitty its the last season! its like losing a friend haha atleast theres entourage

theburiedlife
04-17-2007, 01:18 AM
I love how Sil plays the safe card in the last episode. Tony seems almost frustrated to not have Sil go one way or another because he feels paranoid from the Johnny Sach ordeal.
I predict Chris will trying and flee to New York and get help from there trying to take tony out. So Phill can set up a new boss in NJ and have a legacy for his family when he backs out of the power struggle.

BlueDevil50
04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
god! i hate the new york family...definitely not as cool as the dirty jerz crew. im pretty sure the episode on the sunday of coachella, will be the "must watch" with my luck

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
re: last night...poor junior. still. just when you think it can't get any worse. him stroking the cat at the end was an homage to the godfather as was this from last week:

btw how awesome was the dinner scene with Silvio where the the NY guy got shot. That was old school.

slo mo powder burst just like when michael shoots mc cluskey in the restaurant. extra slow so that you might catch it. so cool.

im pretty sure the episode on the sunday of coachella, will be the "must watch" with my luck

ding ding ding. next week is going to be the killer. thank christ for tivo.

breakjaw
04-23-2007, 08:34 AM
I thought the actor playing the kid in the nursing home did a really fine job on this episode.One of the greatest things about The Sopranos is how for one episode it'll focus almost entirely on someone new and unexpected,and they always find accomplished actors for this(Robert Patrick,the guy that wrote "Cleaver",Tony's Dad's ex-girlfriend,etc.)

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I thought the actor playing the kid in the nursing home did a really fine job on this episode.One of the greatest things about The Sopranos is how for one episode it'll focus almost entirely on someone new and unexpected,and they always find accomplished actors for this(Robert Patrick,the guy that wrote "Cleaver",Tony's Dad's ex-girlfriend,etc.)

agreed. christopher mc donald was great last week in his limited role as chris' sponsor. i sometimes think the sopranos cast like this just out of respect. remember the episode with burt young (paulie from rocky)? i always thought that was a real nice thing to do for the guy.

polly bergen was the creepiest though. "happy birfday, mister pwesident..."
shudder.

breakjaw
04-23-2007, 08:51 AM
christopher mc donald was great last week in his limited role as chris' sponsor
I'm glad you mentioned him.I did a play in New Mexico with him ("When You Comin' Back Red Ryder")about 15 years ago,and he was a helluva nice guy.I'm glad to see him doing well.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 09:17 PM
episode three, second viewing. "three's company" referred to paulie, tony, and tony's father. also junior, asian kid, and the professor. also the hospital staff probably. don't know what the use of "25,000 pyramid" meant though. any ideas?

they're setting this up pretty well, imho. tony's going to go through everyone to see who he can really trust. chris is out. bobby's out. paulie's out. hesh is soon to be out cause of a gambling debt. tony will finally settle on silvio as his ultimate number two but will likely be betrayed by him too. again, adriana?

episode 4 is the payoff for a lot of this. bet on it.

theburiedlife
04-23-2007, 10:36 PM
episode three, second viewing. "three's company" referred to paulie, tony, and tony's father. also junior, asian kid, and the professor. also the hospital staff probably. don't know what the use of "25,000 pyramid" meant though. any ideas?

they're setting this up pretty well, imho. tony's going to go through everyone to see who he can really trust. chris is out. bobby's out. paulie's out. hesh is soon to be out cause of a gambling debt. tony will finally settle on silvio as his ultimate number two but will likely be betrayed by him too. again, adriana?

episode 4 is the payoff for a lot of this. bet on it.

Yeah tony already tested Sil after his brawl with bobby. and its obvious of Sil's ability to take the family boss role after tony passes his power on.

Carlo Von Sexron
04-24-2007, 02:21 AM
How perfect was that scene on the boat with Tony and Paulie? That was pretty intense. Especially the last minute or so after Tony stands up...I didn't know what the hell was going to happen.
And I still don't have any good guess as to what's going to happen this season.

breakjaw
04-24-2007, 05:24 AM
PF,can we have a "Sopranos tent" from 6PM to 7PM Sunday,just this once?I'll bring the talking fish.

mob roulette
04-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Yeah tony already tested Sil after his brawl with bobby. and its obvious of Sil's ability to take the family boss role after tony passes his power on.

sil already tried taking on the role of acting boss while tony was in the coma. i don't think that worked out so well.

theburiedlife
04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, it was hectic because it was so sudden, Sil was and is the only person who can really take a firm grasp of the family is he is named successor. It would have been bad for anyone taking control during that time.

wmgaretjax
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
not sure I like this gambling bit... is it just me or is this a brand new problem for tony? seems like it might be setting him up for the fall, and it feels a little contrived.

york707
05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Everything they do is a gamble... but I agree.

BlueDevil50
05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
how many more episodes are left? i was soooo hoping for chris to kill paulie...daaaaaaamn

york707
05-07-2007, 06:18 AM
4 episodes left

theburiedlife
05-08-2007, 12:15 AM
I predict that almost all of them live with the exception of Chris, and Tony having heavy influence on the New York family. I see Chris being put up as sacrifice to Phil Leatardo for final compensation of the death of his son.

BlueDevil50
05-08-2007, 12:18 AM
noooooooooooooooo lol chris and sil are my two favs...i wanna see chris go even more crazy and kill paulie. i just hope SOMETHING happends, it seems like every episode so far, somethings about to go down....and then nothing

BlueDevil50
05-13-2007, 08:26 PM
definitely didnt wanna see chris go out..especially at the hand of tony! not sure about that ending either...

mob roulette
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
poor chrissy. i knew it as soon as i saw him put in the departed soundtrack. i was like, car wreck coming. it's time. he had his big goodbye moment for the Emmy last episode and now it's time to go.

poor aj. welcome to the life. from father to son. lot of good one liners tonight that didn't seem all that funny with christofuh dead.

i'm laying money that this doesn't end well at all. 50 bucks says tony's a dead man before the end of the last episode. they're not letting us off the hook here. as well they shouldn't. everyone will get what they deserve here. just like real life.

theburiedlife
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I have to disagree. Sure, it'll turn into all out warfare, but I don't think T will be the one to go down. Phil is overstepping and he knows it, he has no revenge to extract now that Tony has suffered another death in his family. Phil will be hit but i honestly can't imagine Tony going down.

http://img.products.howstuffworks.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/02/26/98/d3/36083923.JPG

I'll take that bet mob.

BlueDevil50
05-13-2007, 10:08 PM
id love to see phil go down...the new york family just seems like theyre a bunch of old bitches...im just holdin on to my last fav, sil...

mob roulette
05-13-2007, 10:17 PM
hey bluedevil, what didn't you like about the ending? my personal gripe with the show this final season is its overuse of sensationalism to push the story along. tony doing chris in may mean that he has learned nothing from therapy, which cheapens his character in a way as well as psychoanalysis as a whole. but then again, these are sociopaths (or at the very least, misanthropes at heart) that we are dealing with here, so there you go.

also, buriedlife, i can't in good conscience take that bet. i have a lot of acquaintances in the business and i might know something that you don't, therefore i wouldn't feel right about taking your money. i'm not a complete asshole.

thanks though. we will see.

BlueDevil50
05-13-2007, 10:22 PM
i didnt understand when tony was winning at roulette and said "hes dead" and then out in the desert when he said "i get it"...i just didnt see how it was all tied together...help?

theburiedlife
05-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Well from what i got from it, Tony believes that therapy was not going to solve his problems. He thought that because he solved his own problems rather than by communication he was rewarded with good fortune. I would have to agree with mob though, it doesn't seem to cheapen his character by almost denouncing the therapy. In an erratic way, he seems to find himself trying to escape a choice he did not want to make.

Oh and thanks mob, that would be stealing money, blue money. I'm glad you have a good head on your shoulders.

mob roulette
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
i didnt understand when tony was winning at roulette and said "hes dead" and then out in the desert when he said "i get it"...i just didnt see how it was all tied together...help?

because tony believes, for better or worse, that chrissy was bad luck to him. since he began "coincidentally" winning at roulette, he attributed this to the fact that chris was dead. remember, he was also on peyote though (wtf?) which could also explain the screaming at the sun thing at the end. kind of heavy handed, i suppose, but there's no reason to believe that tony couldn't both be delusional as well as have a deep insight while under the influence. again, he was on peyote. that's right, peyote. hey everybody, tony soprano did peyote in vegas. yeah peyote. we get it. so cool.

yeah, it was kind of a cheap trick. i didn't buy it.

BlueDevil50
05-13-2007, 10:35 PM
ok...thats what i figured but didnt get the screaming at the sun at all...still cant believe only 3 episodes left..and the previews only made it worse! "you gotta go to phil hat in hand.." that part should be interesting

Lt. Dangel
05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Last nights episode was the best in a very long time. Im officially a fan again.

shotglass75
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
I was torn with last night episode as either one of the best one's I have seen in a while or just borderline ridiculous. he's smoking paoti now in the desert, come on. But it was great. Anyone else think Dr. Melfi is in with the Feds? there is something about her this season that doesn't add up

mob roulette
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
final episode belongs to melfi. bet on it. last ten minutes anyway.

theburiedlife
05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Isn't there a confidentiality agreement that would be broken if she corroborated with the feds? Wwouldn't that invalidate any testimony?

mob roulette
05-14-2007, 10:56 AM
she's not talking to the feds. she respects and loves tony too much for that. believe it or not.

theburiedlife
05-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Oh, very cool. I picked that up from her, but this thread was alluding to her testimony.

summerkid
05-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I was torn with last night episode as either one of the best one's I have seen in a while or just borderline ridiculous. he's smoking paoti now in the desert, come on. But it was great.

agreed, first half of the episode was great second half was ridiculous I could barely get through it.

suprefan
05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, last night was just nuts. In the first 10 minutes somebody dying is just like "what the hell?!?!". And the whole Vegas thing was ridiculous, although the chick he was with was HAWT.

BlueDevil50
05-14-2007, 06:20 PM
she was gorgeous...its just so hard watchin tony hook up with all these hotties

suprefan
05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Well what can you say? "Damn it feels good to be a gangster" I think the last hook up was hilarious though, she knocked on the door and was all giving him a look, cut to Tony finishing her off.

BlueDevil50
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
haha pretty much

jackstraw94086
05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
jesus christ that girl was hot.

I love how they just manufactured some hot piece of ass to who sorta kinda used to know chris just as a flimsy pretext to get Tony off on his little metaphysical journey.

The ending makes perfect sense to me. His epiphany at the roulette table (btw does anyone else get a kick out of the fact while Tony was at the table it was "mob roulette"?... sorry forget it) was just due to the peyote cutting through all his manufactured tensions and finally realizing he's in complete control of his future. Him yelling at the sun is just being high. I can't think of many better places to be coming down off a peyote trip. It doesn't have to make sense.

mob roulette
05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
thanks jack.

theburiedlife
05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh, i see what you did thar.

BoardsofCoachella
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
remember, he was also on peyote though (wtf?) . again, he was on peyote. that's right, peyote. hey everybody, tony soprano did peyote in vegas. yeah peyote. we get it. so cool.

I was watching around the horn on espn and J.A. Adande fucked it up for me when he lost and said "I'm out like Chris Maltisanti". I haven't even seen this episode yet and I was like "Aww, Bitch".

So , I decided to read this thread and I saw peyote in the first sentence.
Tony doing Peyote? crazy.

summerkid
05-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I was watching around the horn on espn and A.J. Adande fucked it up for me when he lost and said "I'm out like Chris Maltisanti". I haven't even seen this episode yet and I was like "Aww, Bitch".

So , I decided to read this thread and I saw peyote in the first sentence.
Tony doing Peyote? crazy.

haha i was watching that.

theburiedlife
05-22-2007, 12:04 AM
So... Mob better be right, it certainly seems as if Tony will fall next episode.

BlueDevil50
05-22-2007, 12:21 AM
cant stand phil and the ny cats! sooo fuckin lame...but tony held it down givin coco that calfornia smile haha...cant believe i gotta wait two weeks til the next ep!

breakjaw
05-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I liked where he picked the tooth out of his trouser cuff.I have come to the conclusion that the episodes directed by Tim Van Patten are invariably my favorites(aside from the Steve Buscemi gems).This season,it's been the first one(on the lake) and this past one.

breakjaw
05-22-2007, 03:56 PM
also, buriedlife, i can't in good conscience take that bet. i have a lot of acquaintances in the business
Would that be the "Waste Disposal" business?

summerkid
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
So... Mob better be right, it certainly seems as if Tony will fall next episode.

no way, Phil's going down.

fatbastard
05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I cannot believe one of Phil's guys had the balls to talk to Meadow that way but to actually TOUCH HER. Tony would surely killed that guy and the other guy had he known that.

Poor AJ. I have experienced someone going through a panic attack. I had tears in my eyes on Sunday.

BlueDevil50
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
what...i havent had any respect for aj throught the whole seasons of the sopranos...he plays such a lil moper that just bitches all the time...i thought it would have been better if he followed through with the suicide. him, tonys mom, and uncle junior are the ones that are easily the most annoying

fatbastard
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Agreed but you have look at him and wonder if Tony was the same as AJ when he was growing up.

I loved Uncle Junior's card game a couple of weeks ago. Same actions, different environment.

mob roulette
05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
i haven't seen this week's yet so no comment. but:

Would that be the "Waste Disposal" business?

um both. that and the entertainment industry. a few weeks ago, a certain member of the latter told me how the show ends. but i don't want to divulge anymore here, if you know what i mean. let's not ruin it for people.

hope he's wrong though. i will say that.

SojuGorae
05-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Agreed but you have look at him and wonder if Tony was the same as AJ when he was growing up.

I loved Uncle Junior's card game a couple of weeks ago. Same actions, different environment.

I think AJ would have been the kind of kid Tony would beat up on or shake down. AJ grew up pampered and sheltered while Tony grew up in a rough environment.

breakjaw
05-22-2007, 05:21 PM
um both. that and the entertainment industry. a few weeks ago, a certain member of the latter told me how the show ends. but i don't want to divulge anymore here, if you know what i mean. let's not ruin it for people.

hope he's wrong though. i will say that.

Was it Sanjaya?

mob roulette
05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
yes breakjaw, it was sanjaya. no wait, dick wolf.

breakjaw
05-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I think AJ would have been the kind of kid Tony would beat up on or shake down. AJ grew up pampered and sheltered while Tony grew up in a rough environment.
btw that kid who plays AJ has developed into a pretty fine actor over the course of this series.I credit Gandolfini completely.

SojuGorae
05-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Mob, I don't want to know anything about how the series ends, but I do want to know if it's good.

mob roulette
05-22-2007, 05:28 PM
it's exactly what you think they would have the balls to do. and yes it's good. allegedly.

fatbastard
05-22-2007, 05:31 PM

You don't think Tony had the same feelings inside as Tony? Not literally as with his examples of what happens to cows but just feeling overwhelmed.

BlueDevil50
05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
sopranos is definitely one of the best shows EVER...kinda sad that this is the last season and we know it...

KenMixtape
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm glad this season is quality. Last season of "Brokeback Sopranos" was just embarassing.

ragingdave
05-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Phil is going to die in the last episode when Joe Pesci comes in out of nowhere and crushes his head in a car door.

David Chase's final homage to Scorcesi (or however the fuck you spel his name).

BlueDevil50
05-22-2007, 07:01 PM
haha that would be classy....gotta love pesci

fatbastard
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
& Bobbi D

thelastgreatman
05-22-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm glad this season is quality. Last season of "Brokeback Sopranos" was just embarassing.

Actually, I think that the two ***-specific episodes from that season (Live Free Or Die in particular) are among their absolute best.

mob roulette
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
two episodes left y'all. tonight's is entitled "the blue comet" and i would bet on some heavy shit going down. the second to last episode of eash season of this show has typically been amazing. next week's finale is called "made in america" and i couldn't think of a better title. this show has said so much about crime, economics, justice (both civic and personal), psychotherapy, and the state of our culture as a whole that i, for one, will be incredibly sad to see it go. nothing this honest has ever been on television and people are going to be hard pressed to find a substitute. long live tony soprano, i say. long live the archetype. just my two cents here.

also, i hereby officially announce mob's "guess the last song used over the closing credits." play loose and often. enter as many times as you want. get creative. jury by peers, namely us, closest to an exact match wins. exactly what, i don't know. perhaps our undying respect. yeah, that would work.

here's mine:

sinatra "my way" (the final scorsese homage, the version sung by sid vicious was used over the closing credits of "goodfellas")
stones "you can't always get what you want" (don't think it's been used yet)
springsteen "atlantic city" or "nebraska"
david sylvain's version of "somewhere" from west side story (or somebody's)
johnny cash "the beast in me" (just as a nice bookend, the original was used in the very first episode)
grand funk railroad "closer to home"
gershwin "rhapsody in blue" (or something from an opera maybe)
aaron copland "fanfare for the common man"
bill conti "the final bell" (from rocky)

OR

absolute dreadful and deserved black SILENCE.

thoughts?

ok go.

menikmati
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
is the final episode still only going to be 1 hour...or is it gonna be extended?

mob roulette
06-03-2007, 10:56 AM
one hour, i would guess. don't know why they would do an extension now.

also, i'm adding dylan's "like a rolling stone" to my list. as well as the entire nebraska album. and neil diamond's "solitary man". or johnny cash's version of that. or wait, cash's "if you could read my mind" or, or, or...

okay, that's enough for now.

menikmati
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
it just seems though, that's there's gonna be a lot of stuff left out (though that's always been my one problem with sopranos - is that it involves so many story lines that some stuff just seems to get lost of 'fixed' unknowingly - lazy writers maybe? - like Paulie's cancer and stuff)...anyway, it will be interesting to see how all this gets wrapped up....wonder whats gonna go down with the middle easterners...

fatbastard
06-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Mama Cass - Make your own kind of music

Simon and Garfunkal - Bridge over troubled water

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

Aerosmith - Dream On

Billy Joel - The ballad of Billy the Kid

Tony Bennett - The best is yet to come

Dean Martin - That's Amore

PineapplePete
06-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Born to Run

mob roulette
06-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Aerosmith - Dream On

that's not bad. have they used "paint it black" yet? we need a list.

also i like desaparecidos "the happiest place on earth" here, for what it's worth. also, "for what it's worth" by buffalo springfield. touche.

Hannahrain
06-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Dear Mob,

Here is a list. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_on_The_Sopranos)

Love, Wikipedia.

mob roulette
06-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Dear Mob,

Here is a list. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_on_The_Sopranos)

Love, Wikipedia.

thanks hannah. should have thought of that. knew i could count on someone like you though. is there anything in pop culture that doesn't have a wiki entry? jeez.

you know what's really great about that list though? i made a sopranos mix for my mom like two years ago and i put calexico's "minas de cobre" on it and THEY USED IT TWO WEEKS AGO. i might be good at this, apparently.

mob roulette
06-03-2007, 04:34 PM
also, where's artie? that's what i'd like to know.

that's all i'm going to say about that.

BlueDevil50
06-03-2007, 05:07 PM
ohhhh jeez...totally forgot about artie! my two cents...

johnny sac went to the fbi and flipped before he died....just a thought

remember...he was wondering what hed be remembered for???

lowfront
06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow what a fucking episode that was tonight....

SojuGorae
06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I want this to happen to Phil Leotardo.... AGAIN

2oP1NMB_I0s

KenMixtape
06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
so fucking excellent

BlueDevil50
06-03-2007, 10:33 PM
great episode but hated it...just the fact that bobby and syl are dead, and that fuckin new york family is tryin to take over. sure hope tony gets to let off a few rounds with that toy hes sleeping with!

mob roulette
06-04-2007, 05:35 AM
wow. fastest 51 minutes of television you'll see all year. also quite likely the best. "the blue comet" indeed. i knew all that was coming and it still shook me. the scene in the train store was AWESOME. awesome cinematography. loved the raging bull nod with tony, sil, and bobby in the restaurant. so sad in retrospect. loved how they made you think furio might show up. loved how you almost thought that barrel was going in tony's mouth in the end. loved him dragging aj off the bed. loved how they "go to the mattresses" at the end (hello don corleone), but it's LIVIA"S house they end up in. where we end up is exactly where we started. so good. also loved melfi in this ep. again, right back where we started. i don't think she's a bitch at all for dropping him, that was a hard professional decision in my book. it's just sad she had to say goodbye to her friend. that's the last time her and tony will ever see each other, though it's not the last time we'll see melfi. as stated.

poor bobby. poor sil. poor janice and the kids. never thought i'd type the words "poor janice", but there you go. everybody gets what's coming to them in the end. glad it's ending the way it is and that they stayed true to the spirit of the show. i will always respect the writing and clarity of purpose and overall art direction of this show. we don't deserve for it to be this good. seriously. one week left yo. can't wait.

chairmenmeow47
06-04-2007, 08:42 AM
anyone who would answer the door to that "D-H-ELLA" guy deserves to get shot, lol.

what a crazy episode!!!

SojuGorae
06-04-2007, 08:50 AM
anyone who would answer the door to that "D-H-ELLA" guy deserves to get shot, lol.

what a crazy episode!!!

That scene made me laugh real 'good because of the guy's pronounciation of DHL.

fober
06-04-2007, 08:53 AM
AJ shoots Tony this week.

EDIT: I mean Carmella shoots Tony this week.

EDIT2: I mean Meadow shoots Tony this week.

EDIT3: I mean Tony shoots Tony this week.

EDIT4: I mean Adriana shoots Tony this week.

fatbastard
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
It did go fast. Why is Paulie not on the list of 3 to kill? It was hard to see that bad line of communication from the guys from Italy, to the guy in the video store, to Patsy, to Paulie then to Sil. I thougth that the job he did in Canada was his demise (victim had a piece of Bobby's shirt in his hand) since Bobby had made the comment about DNA when in the boat with Tony.

Sil knew that they were after him. Why didn't have a gun in the front seat? Why didn't he just gun the car and run right into them? I would have walked away from that hit.

I think it sucked that Dr. Melfi dropped Tony. He seemed to have controlled his anger and had less black outs. Yeah there was the Tony who attended the sessions and the Tony who was out in the street but it seemed like he was making progress. How can a therapist drop someone based on one paper and one dinner conversation? It just seemed like an impulsive move for a "Dr".

I feel terrible for Bobby's kids. It may be a bad time for Janice but she is a horrible person and it's tough to think that those kids will have to have her as a mother.
The conversation with Tony, Carmela, Artie and Charmaine at Vestuvios hit a particularly bad chord with me. Just this morning, someone here at work pulled the same crap. How are you? How's everything with your job going? What's the deal with....yada yada yada. They really don't give a crap about anyone. they only care about the gossip. I hate people like that.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020828/12924__sopranos1.1_l.jpg

Lt. Dangel
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I think it sucked that Dr. Melfi dropped Tony. He seemed to have controlled his anger and had less black outs. Yeah there was the Tony who attended the sessions and the Tony who was out in the street but it seemed like he was making progress. How can a therapist drop someone based on one paper and one dinner conversation? It just seemed like an impulsive move for a "Dr".

Yeah but you have to consider the reality that Melfi may have in fact been sharpening his tools as a criminal and even worse, as a sociopath. If that study was correct then with each proceeding visit, Melfi would have been doing a disservice to society and acting unethically within the scope of her profession.

mob roulette
06-04-2007, 11:15 AM
It did go fast. Why is Paulie not on the list of 3 to kill? It was hard to see that bad line of communication from the guys from Italy, to the guy in the video store, to Patsy, to Paulie then to Sil. I thougth that the job he did in Canada was his demise (victim had a piece of Bobby's shirt in his hand) since Bobby had made the comment about DNA when in the boat with Tony.

Sil knew that they were after him. Why didn't have a gun in the front seat? Why didn't he just gun the car and run right into them? I would have walked away from that hit.

I feel terrible for Bobby's kids. It may be a bad time for Janice but she is a horrible person and it's tough to think that those kids will have to have her as a mother.
The conversation with Tony, Carmela, Artie and Charmaine at Vestuvios hit a particularly bad chord with me. Just this morning, someone here at work pulled the same crap. How are you? How's everything with your job going? What's the deal with....yada yada yada. They really don't give a crap about anyone. they only care about the gossip. I hate people like that.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020828/12924__sopranos1.1_l.jpg

excellent points all around. especially about sil. i would have told patsy to floor that shit. except was he already shot at the point? i don't think so. who knows, it all happens so fast, but yeah i would have ducked and burned rubber. fuck shooting back. but these guys aren't exactly brain surgeons, lest any of us forget. same with the new york guys. paulie's way higher in the organization than bobby but they must have somehow missed that point. or not. maybe we get a big paulie moment next episode. i bet we do, since paulie was on the fence about jumping to NYC a few years back. maybe there's something going on here we don't know about. haven't heard anything about that though, just surmising here.

yeah, i don't really care about janice, i decided. it's sad, but the real victims of all of this are his kids. they didn't ask for any of this. and yeah, the artie scene was telling because i think they were in fact being sincere, especially artie. it's tony and carmella who have shit to hide now. they're the ones being fake. either way, seeing artie totally reminded me of simpler times on this show. hope we get to see him one more time.

and no more ducks. great pic, fatbastard (look how much thinner he is!), but no more ducks. pool's drained, winter's here, kids with guns, etc. the living end comes next week.

mob roulette
06-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah but you have to consider the reality that Melfi may have in fact been sharpening his tools as a criminal and even worse, as a sociopath. If that study was correct then with each proceeding visit, Melfi would have been doing a disservice to society and acting unethically within the scope of her profession.

agreed.

Lt. Dangel
06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
It just seemed like an impulsive move for a "Dr".

it did. but you gotta think its pretty upsetting as a therapist to learn that for 7 years youve actually been helping somebody hurt others.

fatbastard
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
paulie's way higher in the organization than bobby but they must have somehow missed that point. or not. maybe we get a big paulie moment next episode.

Thre was that relationship with John. I'm thinking the same thing. There must be a reason why he was left out of the call but we won't find out till next week.

SojuGorae
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
If Paulie survives til the end then that would be him winning Survivor: Mafia Island

menikmati
06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
It was hard to see that bad line of communication from the guys from Italy, to the guy in the video store, to Patsy, to Paulie then to Sil.
That's how its gotta be done though, so it's hard (if not impossible) to trace it back to the top guys.

BlueDevil50
06-04-2007, 03:56 PM
so just to be sure...sil's definitely dead right? or is he critical condition?

fober
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I think the quote was something along the lines of "the doctor says it's highly unlikely that he returns to consciousness."

menikmati
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
yeah, he's not 100% officially dead...which kinda irks me...just say he is or isn't

menikmati
06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
ya know...not targeting paulie got me wondering...what if he's in on all of this. He's suppose to set up the hit on Phil, and that dont go as planned....he's not one of the three being targeted...who knows...

SojuGorae
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
That makes sense. If it ends up that way then Tony would have made a huge mistake by not taking out Paulie when he had the chance a few episodes back. And Paulie has always been bitter about being passed over in the past so maybe he's held that grudge all along.

mob roulette
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
you guys are good.

i'm not saying anything.

oh, only that the aforementioned music list was updated. last night's end credits were to the tune of "running wild" by tindersticks, in case you were wondering. so fucking good.

fatbastard
06-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I wondered who that song was by.

Lt. Dangel
06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
I heard that somebody loses his head next week. (literally)

jackstraw94086
06-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I say the series ends with paulie weeping over tony's corpse.

chairmenmeow47
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I heard that somebody loses his head next week. (literally)

sweet!

J~$$$
06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Leave the Gun, Take the CannoliWhy do mafia hit men drop their guns at the scene of a crime?
By Michelle Tsai
Posted Monday, June 4, 2007, at 6:46 PM ET

On Sunday's episode of The Sopranos, the Italians shoot a man they have mistaken for New York boss Phil Leotardo. Later, Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri is killed at the model-train store. Both times, the killers drop their guns at the scene of the crime. As Clemenza says in The Godfather, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." How come mafia hit men always drop the guns?

They don't want to be caught with the weapon while fleeing the scene. If they've taken precautions to keep the gun from being traced back to them, it won't be much help to the police. In that case, it's better to leave it for the cops.

The decision is a calculation of probability rather than a question of style. Mobsters aren't the only ones who prefer the cannoli to the Smith & Wesson; it's a move that many professional killers employ when they can, along with ditching the gloves and shirt they wore (which may contain gunshot residue). Only a criminal who is completely confident that his gun can't be traced would abandon the weapon. In this case, his chances of being connected with the weapon are so low that he's more worried about running into law enforcement during the getaway. (Why not toss the gun in the harbor, like they do on The Wire? It's not foolproof disposal. Divers can retrieve weapons, like in this Brooklyn case that led to a conviction of second-degree murder.)

A killer who drops his gun better be sure it's free of incriminating clues like fingerprints and DNA. As countless crime dramas have taught us, forensics experts can dust a weapon for prints and match them against those from a criminal database or a particular suspect. The police can also sometimes collect DNA from sweat or skin cells left on the gun.

The serial number poses another problem; it can trace the gun's life story, from when and where it was manufactured to who bought the weapon from which dealer. A killer might try to destroy the etched code by drilling or sanding it away. (In some cases, the police can recover the number by applying chemical reagents to the metal surface.) If the gun is stolen, the serial number could lead cops down the wrong path, but a disciplined criminal would probably remove it just to be safe.

fober
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Paulie shoots Tony this week.

SojuGorae
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
"Sorry T... you know how it is"

BANG!

fatbastard
06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.stjude.org/images/en_US/15/18818sopranos.jpg

SojuGorae
06-05-2007, 06:08 PM
http://www.stjude.org/images/en_US/15/18818sopranos.jpg

"G's up, ho's down"

mob roulette
06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
paulie through his loyalty to tony gets himself caught or killed. maybe. who knows? one more big paulie moment anyways.

also fyi, this is the song that was playing in the car when sil got hit:

Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose
Why you ramble, no one knows
Wild and wind-blown, that's how you've grown
Who can cling to a ramblin' rose?

Ramble on, ramble on
When your ramblin' days are gone
Who will love you with a love true
When your ramblin' days are gone

Why I want you, heaven knows
Though I love you with a love true

Why I want you, heaven knows
Though I love you with a love true

"ramblin' rose", nat king cole

york707
06-10-2007, 06:10 PM
What. The. Fuck.

menikmati
06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
seriously, I love that ending

york707
06-10-2007, 06:16 PM
So I take it it's aired on the west coast? May I speak on the issue?

menikmati
06-10-2007, 06:17 PM
no....i got HBO east...dont say anything

york707
06-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Very well then. I will probably go to bed before everyone starts talkign about it then.

All I can say is, I didn't expect the ending to be as it was.

suprefan
06-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I have satellite, east coast feeds, yay.

sydaud
06-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I loved the song choice ending, it was damn perfect.

mob roulette
06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
seriously. i love it too. what, no one ever told you guys it was a comedy? funniest episode ever.

york707
06-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Silence is beautiful.

fatbastard
06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I miss everyone already.

thelastgreatman
06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Somewhere way back in one of the prediction discussions (apparently not in this thread) I specifically called that the last scene of the series would be of the family eating, like at the end of Season One.

Just sayin'.

faxman75
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
The family eating? No Shit? You called that? Amazing, they probably only show them eating, i dunno, once an episode. :laugh: Meadow certainly wasn't eating so I dunno calling that wasn't exactly right. Now if you would have said three of them would be eating american food and not italian food at some diner, then maybe I give you some points but otherwise you can stop patting yourself on the back.

Anyway, the episode was absolutely perfect!

Fat_Tony
06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
ok... so what happened at the end? it just goes blank... what are we supposed to assume? i agree by the way, the episode was perfect... but i am confused by the end.... i'm sure someone in here can clarify....

thx

PineapplePete
06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
what. the. fuck.

PineapplePete
06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
"thats nice"

PineapplePete
06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
i say the guy that walked into the bathroom was a killer

thelastgreatman
06-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Specifically that just the immediate family would be eating in a restaurant.

Also, I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody but you.

Just sayin'.

mob roulette
06-10-2007, 09:10 PM
ahem:

bill conti "the final bell" (from rocky)

OR

absolute dreadful and deserved black SILENCE.

i'm taking credit for these. also loved the saturday night fever nod. and all the one-liners tonight.

AJ: "WE HAVE TO REDUCE OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL!!!!"

that was some funny shit yo.

theburiedlife
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok, it's finished on the west coast. And I've lost a bet sad to say.
Why did they make you feel that he would be hit?

It drove me crazy they way the built the tension up.

I got the impression that Paulie was going to flip to the feds.

These are very crude ideas but i just need some feedback to make sense of all this.

mob roulette
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
i say the guy that walked into the bathroom was a killer

that was a nod to pacino. among other things.

mob roulette
06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok, it's finished on the west coast. And I've lost a bet sad to say.
Why did they make you feel that he would be hit?

It drove me crazy they way the built the tension up.

I got the impression that Paulie was going to flip to the feds.

These are very crude ideas but i just need some feedback to make sense of all this.

cause the movie never ends
it goes on and on and on and on...

show's over. life keeps going. this was just a glimpse. the tension you felt was because you, the viewer, just spent the last ten minutes of the series inside the skin of tony soprano. not all that comfortable, is it?

PineapplePete
06-10-2007, 09:28 PM
fuckin brilliant

PineapplePete
06-10-2007, 09:29 PM

ya i noticed that

fatbastard
06-10-2007, 09:59 PM
ahem:

i'm taking credit for these. also loved the saturday night fever nod. and all the one-liners tonight.

AJ: "WE HAVE TO REDUCE OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL!!!!"

that was some funny shit yo.

I thought of you as the credits rolled in silence. That was the way for them to go. Leaving it to my own imagination was worse than actually watching a completed final scene.

Can any film person explain the significance of the blue hue throughout the episode?

PineapplePete
06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
there was a blue hue?

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 12:20 AM

That was not a nod to pacino, because if it was it was an unbelievably lame one. If it was a godfather reference then it would have been done better than that. It wasn't even close to a pacino nod.

It wasn't a "nod" to anything, it was just a dude walking into the bathroom. Just like the couple in the booth in the corner, just like Meadow having trouble parallel parking, it was just placing the Soprano family into the context of normal life, sharing normal experiences just like everyone else.

That aspect of the ending was OK. The odd timing of the blackout was just lame. That was the producers being cute. They made a joke out of the last moment of a beloved series. Fuck them. Fuck all of them. Who gives a fuck. Tony's going to jail, AJ's going to be another converted North Jersey yuppie, Meadow's going to be making almost $200k straight out of law school, Carmella will build another house. Fuck them all.

york707
06-11-2007, 04:33 AM
I thought the ending was cheap on one hand, because I think someone that's been writing a show for a decade should be able to make a decision on how it ends. On the other hand, I agree with mob -- it goes on - the lifestyle, the mob, families, life. As Robert Earl Keen said, "The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

It also also allows internerds to speculate endlessly on what happens and fuel rumors of a movie or spinoff series. A NJ/NY mega family?

thelastgreatman
06-11-2007, 05:29 AM
The bathroom was definitely a Godfather allusion, all the shots of vaguely recognizable men of an appropriate age for hitmen acting suspiciously inconspicuous in that last scene were a semi-brilliant dicktease to torture the viewers who (foolishly) hoped that Tony would get killed.

But at the end of the day, this series has always been about the essential juxtaposition of the modern nuclear dysfunctional family (panic attacks, etc.) against the modern nuclear mafia family. And the mob, as entertaining as it is, is still the vastly emptier facet of Tony's life even though it's where most all the interesting events come from.

But final episodes are tricky, particularly with a series as dear to as many hearts as this one. There are basically two routes to go: (a) total conflagration that would destroy the fabric of Tony's life and potentially be very entertaining; (b) a more realistic, calm, down-to-Earth conclusion that leaves the reality we've all come to know and love in tact as much as possible and, while anticlimactic, gives hope for the future.

Go back through the episode, at least half of it had nothing whatsoever to do with Tony's life, in truth. It was largely David Chase employing some pretty clever metaphors in which The Sopranos (both as a family, a mob family, and a TV show) are representations of America as a whole. Sounds like talking out of ass, but seriously, check it out.

As far as the blue hue, Fatbastard--I did not notice it myself, funnily enough, which might discredit my opinion as a film person--but when it comes to coloration of cinematography the classic method employs just combinations of orange and blue. Orange naturally evokes warmer sensations, such as love, or passion in general negative or positive--heat, y'know. Blue is the tone you lend to sadder occasions (to drastically oversimplify the very complicated art of cinematography), and I would venture a guess that they reason there was such a hue is that this episode was in essence a funeral for the series.

breakjaw
06-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Yeah,but what was wrong with that fuckin' cat?
Also loved Tony's Leo Gorceyism,"Yeah,I'm miffled 'bout that" to Paulie in their last scene.
The scene with Junior was superb acting of the highest order.
The guy going in the bathroom at the end was simply billed as "Truck Driver in Diner"
Who else thought he was going to play the Tony Bennett song?

KenMixtape
06-11-2007, 06:20 AM
I thought the ending was pretty jerky. It gave a chance for all the pretentious fanboys to say "But that's how life is! You don't always know what's going to happen , the juxtaposition of tony's mundane life with the blah blah blah...", but in reality it was David Chase saying "fuck you" to all of the show's fans.
They deliberately set that last scene up with massive amounts of tension, only to be left with a "fuck you" blank screen. Completely assholic.

It was still better than last season as a whole, though.

TomAz
06-11-2007, 06:26 AM
- "The food at this place is really terrible"

- "Yes, I know, and such small portions!"

fober
06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
SPOILER

http://www.wurst-wasser.net/Wurst-Wasser.net/Pictures/Wiki/Projects/blank.jpg

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 08:02 AM
but in reality it was David Chase saying "fuck you" to all of the show's fans.
They deliberately set that last scene up with massive amounts of tension, only to be left with a "fuck you" blank screen. Completely assholic.

exactly. There was no art in that. It's almost like George Lucas cramming jar jar into episode 2 as a "fuck you, fans, I'll do what I want." except far worse. It was no more entertaining than a catastrophic editing mistake.

fober
06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and assume he meant for that whole "now you see what it's like to be Tony Soprano" scenario in the last scene.

thelastgreatman
06-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Sometimes the best endings to epic tales are quite subtle, Godfather One being a good example (and possibly the best ending in all of film).

breakjaw
06-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I loved the tension build up of the last scene.I don't think it was an indication of what it's like to be Tony.The scenes with Meadow failing to parallel park were meant to lead you to believe that this would be the thing that saves her life.
A bigger "Fuck You" from David Chase would've been Tony getting whacked.It would've been David Chase saying "Fuck You All,I made Tony and now I'm taking him away."
It's been far too satisfyingly complex a character to be unmade by some greaseball in such a ignominious manner.We got that fix from Phil's death anyway.

J~$$$
06-11-2007, 08:39 AM
cue the Sopranos movie.

breakjaw
06-11-2007, 08:48 AM
You mean The Sopranos Trilogy.

Hannahrain
06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Hell, maybe it'll get picked up as a television show.

Oh wait.

SojuGorae
06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Tony Sopranos' life is a miserable and paranoid one, his children will continue to live life inside a bubble, Carmela will remain content with the life they lead as long as they have cheddar. The end.

It was a fitting end to a great show.

Sexecutioner
06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Worst ending EVER!

http://www.thesimpsonsquotes.com/images/comicguypoint.gif

mob roulette
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
It's up if you want it. Still lots to debate here.

bphuuLi17SU

Turned down "Who Will You Run To" and "Magic Man", Tony? Nice touch.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
i thought the ending was OK. I was fine with it being open ended and subtle. I just thought the build up was really corny.

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
that YT link brought up some other great sopranos moments

LPrpXCXoL_E

Cwr0oldSFIc

SojuGorae
06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Christopher and Paulie making amends after they murder an innocent waiter was probably one of the funniest and most fucked up scenes throughout the series.

Sexecutioner
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Christopher and Paulie making amends after they murder an innocent waiter was probably one of the funniest and most fucked up scenes throughout the series.

yea, that scene is a classic.

fatbastard
06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
- "The food at this place is really terrible"

- "Yes, I know, and such small portions!"

http://www.gonemovies.com/www/Raketnet/Drama/AnnieHoofd.jpg

:-)

PineapplePete
06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
why are you guys saying its a fuck you?....

and also is it significant that they were eating onion rings? i mean thats american food for you right there...besides french-fries that is

mob roulette
06-11-2007, 02:23 PM
It's not a fuck you and it's not a rip off. The last episode is all about the audience. Wait for the analysis. This was well-played.

KenMixtape
06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
It was a chance for all the sycophants to proudly proclaim "Did you see that they were eating... on a table? That was a blatant hommage to 1930s french polynesian film of....".
If there's one thing that has come to irk me about Sopranos fans, is that they all feel like they're really smartly dissecting all the "hidden messages" and "meta-references" and "juxtapositions".
Exhaustive obscure metaphors aside, it was an insulting ending. And I'm tired of people saying "you had to use your imagination" regarding the ending.
I didn't watch the show to "imagine" the ending, I wanted David Chase to do that.
They knew exactly what they were doing with that ending and how people would react, but they didn't care.

summerkid
06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
It was a chance for all the sycophants to proudly proclaim "Did you see that they were eating... on a table? That was a blatant hommage to 1930s french polynesian film of....".
If there's one thing that has come to irk me about Sopranos fans, is that they all feel like they're really smartly dissecting all the "hidden messages" and "meta-references" and "juxtapositions".
Exhaustive obscure metaphors aside, it was an insulting ending. And I'm tired of people saying "you had to use your imagination" regarding the ending.
I didn't watch the show to "imagine" the ending, I wanted David Chase to do that.
They knew exactly what they were doing with that ending and how people would react, but they didn't care.

Exactly, this isn't a fucking choose your own adventure book.

PineapplePete
06-11-2007, 02:39 PM

to not analyze it would be denying its right as a work of art. artists don't do anything without having a reason. just because you aren't satisfied with the ending doesn't mean its a bad ending.

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM

exactly again.

What we saw wasn't an artistic statement, nor challenge to the fans. It was megalomaniacal masturbation.

I hope David Chase's landscaper doesn't bother touching the property directly in front of his house. Let David and his neighbors debate what the gardner's intention was and give their own interpretations of what it may look like in the future.

wmgaretjax
06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I hope David Chase's landscaper doesn't bother touching the property directly in front of his house. Let David and his neighbors debate what the gardner's intention was and give their own interpretations of what it may look like in the future.

by far your best analogy yet. bravo!

PineapplePete
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
by far your best analogy yet. bravo!

wtf is this board? a fuckin analogy contest?

protodisco
06-11-2007, 03:07 PM

it was all about the divine comedy. the 9 episodes line up with the 9 circles. the seventh circle is for suicides, in the 7th episode aj attempts suicide. the 9th circle is for traitors. the 4th for the greedy. plus google the delecroix painting 'the barque of dante' and then google the Annie Leibovitz promotional image on the season five DVD set.

i, of course, didn't come up with this theory on my own, mostly i just copied it out of something i read earlier. also it's probably bullshit.

SojuGorae
06-11-2007, 03:11 PM
http://www.navigo.com/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/barque-dante.jpg

http://www.newmediamusings.com/blog/images/sopranos.jpg

JustSteve
06-11-2007, 03:42 PM
i haven't read the last couple of pages of this thread, but here's my take on the ending...

#1--in a past episode the guys were on, i believe, baccala's boat and one of them said something to the effect of "when you get whacked you won't see it coming..everything will just go black"...exactly how the episode ended.

#2--the sketchy looking guy who came into the diner at the same time as aj was related to leotardo, watch the credits.

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
i haven't read the last couple of pages of this thread, but here's my take on the ending...

#1--in a past episode the guys were on, i believe, baccala's boat and one of them said something to the effect of "when you get whacked you won't see it coming..everything will just go black"...exactly how the episode ended.

#2--the sketchy looking guy who came into the diner at the same time as aj was related to leotardo, watch the credits.

I've heard the "whacked" theory, but I don't subscribe to it fo the reasons stated earlier. It's just retarded to kill tony, especially that way.

And I think someone mentioned earlier that he guy who walked in with AJ was just credited as "diner truck driver" or something. Did you seriously see it say "leotardo?" That would be ridiculously obvious if it did, totally not their style.

J~$$$
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Nothing happened. They had dinner, shared a coke and a smile.

PineapplePete
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM

thats what I like to believe

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 04:01 PM

then AJ was arrested for fucking a high school chick.

srsly wtf? Life isn't grand enough for him he gets to bang an overdeveloped underage model?

J~$$$
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Its a tv show....?

BlueDevil50
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
i wanted to hate that ending soooo much, but just couldnt. last episode was way better but this one was awesome, the phil gettin ran over after gettin shot was awesome and the fbi agent sayin "were gonna win this!" is just classic haha...god ill miss em...

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
i wanted to hate that ending soooo much, but just couldnt. last episode was way better but this one was awesome, the phil gettin ran over after gettin shot was awesome and the fbi agent sayin "were gonna win this!" is just classic haha...god ill miss em...

actually I will indulge in a little sopranos fanboy masturbation on this particular aspect of the episode. The FBI agent has been depressed ever since joining anti-terror. His little jubilant outburst at the news of Phil's death was a because he's gotten so tired of his current no-win job. Organized crime at least had faces to it, there was measurable progress. The characters were often affable. Anti-terror is a tireless and thankless job.

It's almost like a statement about the futility of the war on terror. I dunno. actually that's bullshit. Whatever. I means nothing.

Sexecutioner
06-11-2007, 04:37 PM
And I think someone mentioned earlier that he guy who walked in with AJ was just credited as "diner truck driver" or something. Did you seriously see it say "leotardo?" That would be ridiculously obvious if it did, totally not their style.

whoever said that was confused. the truck driver is the other guy thats eating by himself in the diner, not the weird lookin dude who walked in with AJ.

the whacked theory makes sense, but i still think its a bullshit way to end it. if he gets whacked, then show me him getting whacked. i dont watch the show to use my own imagination, i watch so they can tell me the story. if i could use my own imagination that well, id make my own fuckin hit show.

and not even that, but there wasnt much conflict at all. i wanted more of a war between the 2 families. and besides phil getting killed (which was the only good part of that episode), nothing much really happened. pretty anti-climactic and lame if you ask me.

Rap/rock Is Life
06-11-2007, 04:47 PM
dat ending wuz FUCKIN WACK, yo.

sydaud
06-11-2007, 05:41 PM
I really liked the ending. Call it lazy if you wish, but I don't need a conclusion handed to me in this case. Billy and Wyatt getting taken out at the end of "Easy Rider" didn't sit well with me either, but I've finally gotten over that one.

I like to think that my favorite fictional characters are still doing their thing.

jackstraw94086
06-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Whatever. It's not about having a conclusion "handed to you". The people here who dislike the ending are not incapable of "getting it". It was just poorly executed regardless of the intent. They could have preserved all the tension and mystery without making a joke out of the last seconds.

And I am in utter disbelief that you just compared Easy Rider's ending to the Sopranos. That was one of the most classic endings of all time whether you enjoyed it or not. That was in no way anywhere close to something remotely similar to anything vaguely resembling what happened on the sopranos. There was nothing really unresolved. That was the definition of finality.

All That I Am
06-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Dear Sydaud,
Thanks for fucking up Easy Rider for me, i was gonna finish watching it tonight.
You're an asshole!

Sincerely,
Carlos

KenMixtape
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM

you and I haven't seen eye to eye in the past but I'll give you this one for sure. david chase tries wayyy too hard to be unlike other shows that his contempt for a cohesive story is barely concealable. Is that a word?

fatbastard
06-12-2007, 12:19 AM
It was a good ending. I don't understand why people are supposidly outraged.

sydaud
06-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Dear Sydaud,
Thanks for fucking up Easy Rider for me, i was gonna finish watching it tonight.
You're an asshole!

Sincerely,
Carlos

Dear Carlos,

You should have watched it all in one sitting.

S

sydaud
06-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Whatever. It's not about having a conclusion "handed to you". The people here who dislike the ending are not incapable of "getting it". It was just poorly executed regardless of the intent. They could have preserved all the tension and mystery without making a joke out of the last seconds.

And I am in utter disbelief that you just compared Easy Rider's ending to the Sopranos. That was one of the most classic endings of all time whether you enjoyed it or not. That was in no way anywhere close to something remotely similar to anything vaguely resembling what happened on the sopranos. There was nothing really unresolved. That was the definition of finality.

Ok, bad fucking example on my part. All I was trying to impart is that Billy and Wyatt, along with Tony Soprano, are some of my all-time favorite fictional characters, yet because the characters at the end of Easy Rider were killed, I just have a different feeling about them. I don't like a "sad" story and seeing characters that I love get murdered falls into the sad category.

danno828
06-12-2007, 07:20 AM
it was a cool ending
fans were waiting for that moment, die hard fans
no matter what ending it would have been
people would still criticize it and be let down
when there's such high expectations, there's only space for let down
so i thought it was good
no one ever likes the finales of shows
seinfeld? people thought that was the dumbest ending

fatbastard
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
it was a cool ending
so i thought it was good

The ending of Sienfeld was the best! I loved everyone in the courtroom.

Babs Kramer
Babu Bhatt
David Puddy
Det. Blake
Donald Sanger the Bubble Boy
Frank Costanza
George Steinbrenner
Helen Seinfeld
J. Peterman
Jackie Chiles
Keith Hernandez
Leslie the Low-Talker
Marla the Virgin
Morty Seinfeld
Mr. Pitt
Newman
Parking Garage Guard
Poppie
Rabbi Glickman
Ramon the Pool Guy
Sue Ellen Mischke
The Soup Nazi
Uncle Leo

Can you imagine is Sopranos brought everyone back of the final episode (considering most were killed off)?

jackstraw94086
06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
it was a cool ending
so i thought it was good

I liked the Seinfeld ending.

They went to jail. How does one not find that amusing?

I definitely think I could have been satisfied with the Sopranos ending if only they gave us a couple more seconds. The jerky ending was deliberate and obviously meant to force us to wonder, but everyone who wanted to wonder could have done it just as well with a less offensive slap in the face ending.

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
uncle jr. made me sad. reminded me of my grandma.

jackstraw94086
06-12-2007, 11:35 AM
uncle jr. made me sad. reminded me of my grandma.

Your grandma used to run north jersey? That's awesome.

chairmenmeow47
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Your grandma used to run north jersey? That's awesome.

hell yeah, she probably would have shot me too. then made me some bomb ass chicken and dumplings. RIP granny :)

PineapplePete
06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
"thats nice"

thelastgreatman
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/15/television.sopranos.reut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Fans of "The Sopranos" are seizing on clues suggesting the controversial blackout which abruptly ended the TV mob drama meant that Tony Soprano was rubbed out, and HBO said Thursday they may be on to something.

One clue in particular, a flashback in the penultimate episode to a conversation between Tony and his brother-in-law about death, gained credence as an HBO spokesman called it a "legitimate" hint and confirmed that series creator David Chase had a definite ending in mind.

"While he won't say to me 100 percent what it all means, he says some people who've guessed have come closer than others," HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer told Reuters after speaking to Chase.

"There are definitely things there that he intended for people to pick up on," Schaffer said. (Watch viewers try to make sense of the end )

Chase himself suggested as much in an interview Tuesday with The Star-Ledger newspaper of New Jersey when he said of his end to the HBO series, "Anyone who wants to watch it, it's all there."

In the final moments of Sunday's concluding episode, Tony, the conflicted mob boss who has just survived a round of gangland warfare, sits in a diner with his family munching on onion rings as the 1980s song by rock band Journey, "Don't Stop Believin'," blares from a juke box.

Tension builds as a suspicious man wearing a "Members Only" jacket eyes Tony from a nearby counter before slipping into a restroom. Then, as Tony looks toward the restaurant's entrance, the screen abruptly goes blank in mid-scene -- with no picture or sound for 10 seconds -- until the credits roll silently.

Stunned viewers, many initially believing something had gone wrong with their cable TV reception, were left wondering whether Tony ended up "whacked" or whether his sordid life went on as usual.

Even star James Gandolfini wasn't sure.

"You have to ask ('The Sopranos' creator) David Chase that. Smarter minds than mine know the answer to that," Gandolfini told the New York Daily News. "I thought it was a great ending. You decide."

The jarring, fill-in-the-blank finale, concluding a show widely hailed as America's greatest television drama, sparked a furious debate about whether Chase had conceived of an actual ending and whether he left the audience any clues.

The biggest hint, according to a consensus taking shape on the Web, is a scene from an earlier episode in which Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri, muse about what it feels like to die.

"You probably don't even hear it when it happens," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

That scene is recalled briefly in a flashback played at the end of the penultimate "Sopranos" episode, as Tony is lying in the darkened room of a safehouse clutching a machine gun to his chest in the midst of a mob war.

"I think that is one of the most legitimate things to look at," Schaffer said when asked about theories that the Bobby Bacala flashback was meant to foreshadow Tony's death.

Moreover, he said the man in the "Members Only" jacket could be interpreted as a symbolic reference to membership in the mob. "Members Only" also was the title of the episode in which Tony's demented Uncle Junior shoots him in the gut.

The "Members Only" guy was played by the owner of a real-life pizza parlor, Paolo Colandrea. Schaffer denied reports that Colandrea had appeared earlier in the series as the nephew of Tony's New York gang rival, or that there ever was such a character. He also dismissed reports that Chase had filmed more than one ending to the finale.

Knew that was bullshit.

jackstraw94086
06-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Chase himself suggested as much in an interview Tuesday with The Star-Ledger newspaper of New Jersey when he said of his end to the HBO series, "Anyone who wants to watch it, it's all there."

smug cocksucker

breakjaw
07-11-2007, 10:18 AM
That's bullshit that they didn't film alternate endings.Here's one that leaked(don't know how long it'll stay up,though...)
7EwUG2nSLdw

breakjaw
07-11-2007, 10:26 AM
The Six Feet Under ending:
y9xoM7KZU3g

mob roulette
07-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, those are great. I tried watching an episode on A & E the other night, the one with Ralphie and the horse and it just wasn't the same. Editing sucks and they don't even let the song play through the credits which was one of the highlights of the show. On HBO, you could take a minute to draw it all in whilst listening to the Stones or John Lydon or opera or whatever. The final song always acted as punctuation to what you just watched too since it typically was related to whatever just happened. Anyway, the reruns suck without it.

fatbastard
07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
All cable TV that shows commercials sucks.

mob roulette
07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I guess life does go on. Don't stop believing kids:

http://defamer.com/assets/resources/2007/07/vito-jr.jpg

Yablonowitz
09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
It's not a fuck you and it's not a rip off. The last episode is all about the audience. Wait for the analysis. This was well-played.

OK, sorry to ressurect this thread, but I just finished watching all of the Sopranos last night and want to put my allegiance STRONGLY on the side of breakjaw, mob and Randy (and others) who thought the ending was brilliant (if I'm misrepresenting anyone's opinion let me know).

I don't see how that ending is a "fuck you" to the fans. And I'm sorry for all those people who think it's just laziness not giving a definitive conclusion, but the very nature of a serial drama (which, in my opinion is slowly proving to be one of the most powerful art forms) is that the future is unknowable and nothing really ends or begins.

Also, I don't know if you guys read this (http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/) or not, but I found it a really impressive bit of analysis. He makes an interpretation that I don't necessarily believe, but the details within the scene that he points out are intriguing and, in my opinion, not all of them can be dismissed as either coincidence or overanalysis.

Anyway, I strongly recommend reading that article. The guy who writes it doesn't pretend that he knows Chase's intentions and he welcomes and admits other readings or the potential for mistakes. It's just a good bit of analysis of the final scene that I thought was just one of the best executed (no pun intended) finales I've ever seen.

RotationSlimWang
09-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Glad to see you on the side of righteousness and classy asses, Greg. I'll read that article now and we'll just see...

mob roulette
09-15-2007, 12:50 PM
He never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

I always thought the design they chose for the back wall reflected that as well. Thank you for posting this.

I don't like thinking about Tony too much anymore. It makes me sort of sad. Tony Soprano is the only fictional character I ever really connected with like that as an adult, on like a really personal level, and I know that I wasn't the only one. I also knew that David Chase had only one way he could have ended this show, only one honest way, and so he did. Fade to black. The only way we were let off the hook is that we didn't have to actually see it. It would have just been too heartbreaking. This article is fairly spot on, even though he missed the part about ourosbourous as onion rings, but still, very well done. There has never been a show like this and it will take a long time for anyone to top it, I feel. Easily the most important piece of American art of the last quarter century. Nothing here was ever an accident, nothing ever a coincidence, everything carefully plotted top to bottom, from the first frame of the first episode to the very last. My good friend is watching them all for the first time right now and it is quite interesting to hear her reactions to things, what she picks up on as it all unfolds. Interesting to see her begin her own "Journey" with these characters and it feels really validating now to hear her describe the hope and the joy and the beauty and the sorrow of life, much of it inspired by what she has just viewed on screen. It's sort of glorious really. Anyway.

Here is a picture I took yesterday. Offering it now in memoriam. The beast in me is caged by frail and fragile bonds. Yours too, I would imagine. Long live Tony Soprano.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/coxcombred/PicnicTree.jpg

RotationSlimWang
09-15-2007, 12:55 PM
The most important piece of art of the last quarter century is the Simpsons season 2-7.

Yablonowitz
09-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey James - I'm kind of feeling that acutely now that I reached the end last night. I'm not sure I would completely agree with you about The Sopranos on all levels, but Tony Soprano is pretty much the most realized and fully dimensional character I've ever seen. This is why I say the serial drama is proving itself to have a more intense artistic effect (at least when it comes to character) than movies or fiction. Maybe that's heretical, but I don't remember ever feeling personally invested in characters to the degree that I have with Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood and The Wire which are pretty much four of the best pieces of video/movie work I've seen.

In fact, in terms of shows that have made extremely nuanced and accurate portrayals of American life (US) in general, the combination of The Wire, Deadwood, and Sopranos is pretty much the best I've seen. I strongly urge you, if you haven't, to explore Deadwood and The Wire.

mob roulette
09-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Disagree, Randy. Sort of. Comedic yes, dramatic no. No better piece of social satire than the earlier Simpsons, though South Park is getting damn close. No better piece of social commentary than The Sopranos though. And no better meditation on the state of the modern human condition. Stated.

I need to start The Wire soon. Deadwood is very, very good.

bballarl
09-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I have seen 3 episodes of the Sopranos (where Tony plays Dean Martin from a boat to piss of the guy who won't give him back his deposit, the whole seperation thing, etc). So I guess I can't really talk about the Sopranos with any authority. But I watched the ending and thought it was great.

menikmati
09-15-2007, 02:15 PM
http://blogs.brilliantbutcancelled.com/newswire/20060831_soap_260x220.jpg

RotationSlimWang
09-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Disagree, Randy. Sort of. Comedic yes, dramatic no. No better piece of social satire than the earlier Simpsons, though South Park is getting damn close. No better piece of social commentary than The Sopranos though. And no better meditation on the state of the modern human condition. Stated.

I need to start The Wire soon. Deadwood is very, very good.

Bah! Satire is the highest form of social commentary. As far as "meditations on the state of the modern human condition" go, well, I'm an art *** and that sentence makes my asshole feel stretched. Please tone that down.

Also, your name is James? Not Mauve?

fatbastard
09-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I miss everybody from the Sopranos. Sunday night is just not the same. I was trying to find a picture of Tippy right now.

breakjaw
09-17-2007, 12:38 AM
OK,I haven't ever seen Boston Public,admittedly.But this fucker keeps beating the best acting I've ever seen on TV.He even said (James Spader) "I feel like I'm stealing money from the mob..."
If Denis Leary or Hugh Laurie had won,I'd say OK,Denis Leary was AMAZING on Rescue Me this year and Hugh Laurie is funny as hell,but this fuck?!The networks rigged it.

Yablonowitz
09-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Yeah, that just wasn't right. I haven't seen Boston Legal either but I know Spader's performance couldn't touch Gandolfini's. Mainly because no one in TV ever has.

FUCK YOU EMMYS.

fatbastard
09-17-2007, 07:26 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070917/capt.sge.afj18.170907124138.photo00.photo.default-512x380.jpg?x=380&y=281&sig=JQFCo.VqVhqoreCm3mVMLw--