PDA

View Full Version : Seattle, WA or Portland, OR. Weekend 1

clecirclecir
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Help! My friend (and ride) has been accosted by student loans and can no longer go to Coachella. I need a ride from Portland, OR or Seattle, WA to Coachella (Palm Springs) and back. Can depart 4/10 or 4/11. Can chip in on gas and driving. I have a car camping pass I will not be using and could pitch that in. Also, I am staying in a villa with a group that now has an open spot I am paying for due to my friend's inability to attend. Multiple options!

I could drive but my car would more than likely be accosted by the forces of mechanical failure. And I just don't see myself riding my Vespa all the way there and back.

Courtney
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Unless you have 3+ people carpooling, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly from Seattle to Palm Springs than it would be to pay for gas?

clecirclecir
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
No. Not really.

Hannahrain
03-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I can vouch that this person is a real person and not an axe murderer or unfortunate combination of both.

VigoTheCarpathian
03-09-2013, 11:31 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

footixy
03-10-2013, 08:02 AM
http://images.wikia.com/walkingdead/images/2/26/Hitchhiker.jpg

flowbee
03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Unless you have 3+ people carpooling, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly from Seattle to Palm Springs than it would be to pay for gas?

Round-trip Sea to Palm Springs tickets can be had for $250 (or at least until recently). At $4.00/gallon a car with decent mileage would be using more for gas than that. Getting there in 2 1/2 hours instead of 20+ hours and being well rested is the main reason I fly though. I-5 roadtrips are so boring. I know that's not what the poster is looking for though so good luck.

Courtney
03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
No. Not really.

Round-trip Sea to Palm Springs tickets can be had for $250 (or at least until recently). At $4.00/gallon a car with decent mileage would be using more for gas than that. Getting there in 2 1/2 hours instead of 20+ hours and being well rested is the main reason I fly though. I-5 roadtrips are so boring. I know that's not what the poster is looking for though so good luck.

Yes, exactly what flowbee said.

Gas cost for roundtrip from Seattle to Palm Springs: $435.66*
Flight cost for SeaTac to Palm Springs Airport: $216**

So yes, I am correct in saying that it is cheaper to fly unless you are carpooling with three or more people. And that's not even including wear-and-tear costs on the car, additional costs for road food and lodging as applicable, or the possibility of speeding tickets or accidents.

(* Calculated using a 2003 Camry because Camrys are the best-selling sedan in the country and the average US car is 10 years old. YMMV (http://fuelcostcalculator.aaa.com/).)

(** $216 after taxes and fees for Alaska Airlines SEA-PSP roundtrip, as priced via Kayak.com (http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/SEA-PSP/2013-04-09-flexible/2013-04-16-flexible) as of today.)

filthydiabetic
03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
There and back in our Prius from Portland last year was 240 in gas

filthydiabetic
03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I would offer a ride from Portland, but my wife and I are leaving the Monday before.

filthydiabetic
03-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Also I flew in 2011... Rental cars are an extra cost if you want to use your car camping spot. not being able to take all of your stuff on the plane that you might want to sucks. I'm sure you could get by on just having the what you can fit in a couple of bags, but I like to take a bunch of food and camping shit. You can buy all of that stuff once you are there, but again it is an extra cost. The drive is boring if you go straight there but we like to take our time and make it a trip!

clecirclecir
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, exactly what flowbee said.

Gas cost for roundtrip from Seattle to Palm Springs: $435.66*
Flight cost for SeaTac to Palm Springs Airport: $216**

So yes, I am correct in saying that it is cheaper to fly unless you are carpooling with three or more people. And that's not even including wear-and-tear costs on the car, additional costs for road food and lodging as applicable, or the possibility of speeding tickets or accidents.

(* Calculated using a 2003 Camry because Camrys are the best-selling sedan in the country and the average US car is 10 years old. YMMV (http://fuelcostcalculator.aaa.com/).)

(** $216 after taxes and fees for Alaska Airlines SEA-PSP roundtrip, as priced via Kayak.com (http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/SEA-PSP/2013-04-09-flexible/2013-04-16-flexible) as of today.)

Thanks for fastidiously laying out how flying could possibly to be cheaper. Ideally I would find someone to carpool with who needs a car camping pass as I stated before that I do not need mine. I cannot give my pass to the pilot in exchange for a discount. I have made this trip before with 2-3 people and spent considerably less than $200. I have also flown to several festivals and never liked the inconvenience of baggage charges (Alaskan is $20 each), like to bring my own food, and enjoy road trips!
I will keep the flight in mind and thanks for pointing out the cheap airfare as most everything else is double that cost!

clecirclecir
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I can vouch that this person is a real person and not an axe murderer or unfortunate combination of both.

You never know. I have been living in the Maine woods for a few years.

Hannahrain
03-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Fair enough. Unendorsed.

clecirclecir
03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Ok I might be driving now. Anyone headed down from that area?

spennyb
04-02-2013, 08:31 AM
If you're driving, I'm heading to Portland this weekend and would love to continue the south to Indio but in desperate need of a ride.