PDA

View Full Version : The Sahara Tent 2007

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
I've seen a lot of posts about the Sahara Tent being weak this year. I disagree. I would question that a majority of the people that are disappointed have probably never seen these bands.

I won't list all, but I will focus on why this year will be just as important as years past.

DJ Shadow - Awesome. Get ready for Rabbit in Your Headlights by Thom Yorke. He and James Lavelle are the reason this track exists.

Felix Da Housecat - Awesome.

Tiesto - Best DJ in the world isn't enough?

Paul van Dyk - One of the reasons Trance still exists. He will blow you away.

MSTRKFT - Awesome. Should be interesting in the tent.

Richie Hawtin - Canada's best DJ...arguments anyone?

Infected Mushroom - Unless you don't like Psytrance, these guys alone would make it worth the trip. I only hope they don't come on at the same time as Rage. That would be a sin.

Please don't tell me I'm alone!!!

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 10:07 AM

i've seen all these guys and i respectfully disagree. it takes more than being famours or a so cal regular to play coachella.

dorkfish
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
DJ Shadow - Awesome. Get ready for Rabbit in Your Headlights by Thom Yorke. He and James Lavelle are the reason this track exists.
i 100% guarantee that he will not play that track.

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Did you see Paul van Dyk's set back in 2004? It was awesome. It was funny how Ferry Corsten played into his set a bit...heh-heh. These guys aren't going to be playing the club sets they play in cities...these will be good sets.

How can none of you mention Infected Mushroom. If you're going to talk about globally accepted and "raved about" techno groups, they are just as big as anyone on this list save PvD and Tiesto.

I've heard a lot of people mention Underworld. If you're going to ask for bands that will never play at Coachella this year, you could mention a lot of bands.

Darren Emerson has stated he will NOT play with Underworld anymore so they aren't worth seeing even if they did come out.

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 10:12 AM
In reference to "Rabbit in Your Headlights" -- he did in Austin, TX/ Los Angeles, CA/ and South Beach, FL...;)

Those were 1.5 hour+ sets though, so you may be right.

Tijuana
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
COACHELLA 2007 SUCKS ASS... I'm sorry to say this, but it the lineup is the worst ever. Nothing exciting (except for RATM). RHCP?... come on.. they headlined a couple of years back, and they sucked back then.

And the Sahara tent will be empty of real fans. All you will see there are a bunch of f'd up kids that don't know the diference between a good house song and a crapy trance track.

dizfactor
01-23-2007, 10:16 AM

I like DJ Shadow on CD. His live show is not necessarily of the same caliber, and I don't know how well it would fit in the Sahara tent.

He had a good set at Coachella a few years ago. Every time I've seen him since he's sucked.

I really don't think Tiesto's the best DJ in the world, whatever various magazines or what-have-you say, and even if he was the best DJ in the world, he's totally overexposed. He spins here like every month. Bored of him.

Paul van Dyk - One of the reasons Trance still exists.

That's not necessarily a good thing. I'm so sick of 99% of trance. I wish someone would just put a bullet in the damn trance scene.

He will blow you away.

I've seen him multiple times. Bores me silly every time.

I am looking forward to MSTRKRFT.

Don't know his work all that well.

Infected Mushroom - Unless you don't like Psytrance, these guys alone would make it worth the trip.

I like Infected Mushroom quite a bit actually, but no, they would not be enough to get me to shell out the big bucks for Coachella tickets.

I only hope they don't come on at the same time as Rage. That would be a sin.

I really hope someone I love is playing opposite Rage. That way I can see them without all the damn Rage fans that are going to be polluting the polo grounds on Sunday.

I've heard a lot of people mention Underworld. If you're going to ask for bands that will never play at Coachella this year, you could mention a lot of bands.

Darren Emerson has stated he will NOT play with Underworld anymore so they aren't worth seeing even if they did come out.

I don't know. I saw post-Emerson Underworld at Coachella a few years ago, and it was pretty solid. It was better than Emerson's solo set the day before.

Tylerdurden31
01-23-2007, 10:16 AM
All you will see there are a bunch of f'd up kids that don't know the diference between a good house song and a crapy trance track.

is there a difference?

I couldn't help it

KungFuJoe
01-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I still would love it if Royksopp was added.

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
i've only seen video of infected mushroom, and i am excited about them. i liked what they were putting out there i guess. i heard bad things about their EDC set though, so hopefully this year will be better.

and perhaps if PVD and tiesto bring something different than their normal club set, i will be impressed. it will take a lot though. i mean hell, oakenfold impressed me last year, so i guess anything's possible!

also, i saw hawtin at nocturnal in 2005 and was really impressed, that should be insane :)

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't know. I saw post-Emerson Underworld at Coachella a few years ago, and it was pretty solid. It was better than Emerson's solo set the day before.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with that statement, Emerson solo isn't nearly as good as Underworld.

All I'm saying is that if you like the Beaucoups Fish album thank Emerson, because he's 90% of the reason that album was so successful.

I'll never complain about people wanting more, I'm just saying this will be a good show.

2004 was my favorite year in the tent so far. 2005 wasn't too shabby either. Junkie XL followed by Armin van Buuren was pure bliss. Anyone remember that?

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
i mean hell, oakenfold impressed me last year, so i guess anything's possible!

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Oakie in clubs these days = ZzzZzzZzz, but at Coachella last year, was great.

Carl Cox and Daft Punk stole the show last year. I think Daft Punk might have been one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

dizfactor
01-23-2007, 10:30 AM
2004 was my favorite year in the tent so far. 2005 wasn't too shabby either. Junkie XL followed by Armin van Buuren was pure bliss. Anyone remember that?

I saw parts of both sets, but there were so many better sets in the Sahara than those two that year. Tiga, UNKLE, Miss Kittin, Ben Watt... Swayzak was that year too, right? All so much better than JXL or AVB. Hell, I had more fun at Roni Size.

In any case, even the best Sahara tent sets that year paled in comparison to the best sets elsewhere - DJ Krush, M.I.A., and Matmos. Holy crap were those good sets...

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
UNKLE is one of my favorite groups. DJ Krush was at SXSW last year (I'm in Austin, TX) and as always it was awesome. Agreed on the music. AVB + JXL was tighhhttt though (except for the 24 theme remixed) -- I hate 24.

jackstraw94086
01-23-2007, 10:43 AM

I 200% guarantee it.

KRINGER
01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
That's not necessarily a good thing. I'm so sick of 99% of trance. I wish someone would just put a bullet in the damn trance scene.

agreed!! death to trance :thu

cured
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I think the original poster is from the past.

Darren Emerson won't be playing with Underworld likely ever. But they have a new guy who played warm-up for them, Darren Price, and he's made a nice contribution to the group.

Tiesto is the world's most popular DJ, I guess...but if this is a popularity concert where is Shakira and Justin Timberlake and whoever else is being whored out to make a buck on Billboard. I don't see how a Tiesto set can be that valued, especially given it looks like he's getting the headlining (or otherwise, prime) spot.

PvD was fun years ago but I have no idea what he's up to now. If anything, I hope he plays stuff he plays when he's back home and not the floating-on-the-clouds fairy stuff he plays when he's out here.

cured
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I do agree with that statement, Emerson solo isn't nearly as good as Underworld.

All I'm saying is that if you like the Beaucoups Fish album thank Emerson, because he's 90% of the reason that album was so successful.

hahahahahAHHAHAHAHAhahAHhAHhhHAhAhahahHAhahHAHAHHA A

put down the pipe and walk away.

dizfactor
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the original poster is from the past.

Agreed, and the problem with the electronic music scene in southern California is that it's trapped in the past with him.

lust-e
01-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Agreed, and the problem with the electronic music scene in southern California is that it's trapped in the past with him.

To a degree...but this lineup is pretty damn good:

erol alkan
richie hawtin
pvd
evil nine
soulwax (do not miss their show)
lcd soundsystem (see above)
justice
digitalism
air
dj shadow

living in NYC, i've seen all these acts and most will blow you away.

New_Paradigm
01-23-2007, 11:19 AM
PvD was fun years ago but I have no idea what he's up to now. If anything, I hope he plays stuff he plays when he's back home and not the floating-on-the-clouds fairy stuff he plays when he's out here.
I just saw him play here in Denver 3 months ago, and it was good. Headliner at Coachella the year after Daft Punk good? Nope, not even close. I think PvD is a great addition to any festival, but not a headliner, sorry...

microcuts
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Junkie was hellaciously fun. I can't remember why but I think I missed Armin. Probably tried to secure a good spot for NIN.

lethaldesign
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
The electronica line-up isn't totally weak; but it definitely could be better. There are a few good electronica acts scattered through out all three days, but nothing too solid - at least as a WHOLE. Now if all the good electronica acts were grouped into 1 day, than it would definitely make for a more consistent Sahara tent.

I think everyone who is sincerely complaining is looking for somebody really big like Daft Punk. Or Underworld, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, that sort of thing. Yes, there are a lot of smaller acts this year or even semi-big acts that won't make you say WOW like the performances in the past. But there is STILL going to be some great music that you probably don't get to see all the time. Or that you've never seen. Or that you've never even heard of - but I think that's one of the greatest joys of a festival like this - discovering new talent!

HerbalK
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM

You might be 100% wrong. He did a UNKLE megamix at the show I saw in Vegas last Sept. and it included Rabbit in your Headlights. So....

hangthedj112
01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Justice is going to be awesome.

haYaZ6pkaJg

TickleMeElmo
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I totally think Justice will be the best act in the tent. BTW, Erol Alkan isn't playing.

GTI_GRL
01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I've seen a lot of posts about the Sahara Tent being weak this year. I disagree. I would question that a majority of the people that are disappointed have probably never seen these bands.

I won't list all, but I will focus on why this year will be just as important as years past.

Infected Mushroom - Unless you don't like Psytrance, these guys alone would make it worth the trip. I only hope they don't come on at the same time as Rage. That would be a sin.

Please don't tell me I'm alone!!!

I am going to need ear plugs, cause I am going to spend the whole weekend in the Shara tent.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I saw JUSTICE and MSTRKRFT at Pukkelpop and they both totally crushed my head in a vice. Soulwax and Faithless will also be ridiculous. Also, i am rolling my BALLS off right now.

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Also, i am rolling my BALLS off right now.

does posting on the message board make you roll harder? :rotfl

malcolmjamalawesome
01-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes. I actually wasn't rolling until I posted.

hangthedj112
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
So Erol Alkan isn't playing now?

sddoctor
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
it appears so...but methinks it's more of a scheduling and/or contract problem...you know paperwork and whatnot. Justice and Soulwax are both very "in" with Mr. Alkan and as I am led to believe, Erol is touring with Justice (on and off). Whether he's officially on the bill or not, I would still expect to see him, as well as Ed Banger Founder Busy P, making an appearance during the Justice set.

C DUB YA
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
i actually think SHADOW will be in some other tent or stage (hip-hoppin) and NOT in the Sahara.

Paul T was asked about the Police rumor and he said no that the two main stages are set, no mention of the tents. Which means there could be an addition to the Sahara. There needs to be.

Underworld or Aphex Twin please.

sddoctor
01-23-2007, 02:40 PM
I'd still like to see Simian Mobile Disco or Cut Copy, or perhaps Fred Falke and Alan Braxe.

EuroTrash
01-23-2007, 02:42 PM
I want to remind you guys that a lot of these points you make are valid, but these DJs don't typically put on the club sets that you are used to hearing.

I spent 6 years of my life in Europe, mostly in Spain. The sets that these DJs play are like the sets in Creamfields, Ibiza, Sensation, and if you want to get to the US it's more like WMC.

These DJs will play good sets and you will definitely enjoy them. As far as Trance is concerned, I wouldn't recommend the tent if you don't like it.

I'm not talking about bad trance though, I'm talking about A&B/AvB global broadcast style trance.

How can you say that Green Court, Darren Tate, Kyau vs. Albert, John00Fleming is bad music. These are premier producers making tracks that we'll definitely hear over that weekend.

If anyone saw Oakenfold he was WAYYYYY better than he normally is in a club. I won't pay to see him unless it's a music festival or in Europe.

Say what you will about Tiesto and PvD, that's fine, but I PROMISE you Infected Mushroom, MSTRKFT, and Richie Hawtin will play some music you will really enjoy.

Does anyone agree that it would be nice if Adam Freeland would make a trip back? *sigh* that guy gets the crowd moving...

sddoctor
01-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm looking forward to MSTRKRFT, Digitalism and Justice. I'm gonna see a split bill of MSTRKRFT and John Digweed in March, should be interesting to say the least.

Bosco
01-23-2007, 02:52 PM
So Erol Alkan isn't playing now?

go here:

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523

dizfactor
01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
As far as Trance is concerned, I wouldn't recommend the tent if you don't like it.

No, see, this is the part that I object to. Trance as a whole is really stale and dated, and we need to break the stranglehold it has on the Sahara tent (and on the southern California electronic music scene in general).

Saying "Well, the tent is for Trance and if you don't like it, go somewhere else," is not good enough. The tent is for electronic dance music as a whole, not just for Trance.

chairmenmeow47
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
but it seems like there's a "theme" to the tent at least. in 2005 there was a lot of dnb, last year there were a lot of breaks. so while trance isn't really my scene, it kinda makes sense. i just wish it was 2005 again, marky was dope!

bingo_caller
01-23-2007, 03:14 PM
nevermind all that! GIRL TALK- the most important dj there! TRUST

sddoctor
01-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Girl Talk is amazing, but I don't see him rockin' Sahara...i think it will be more of a mohave thing...

peas and carrots
01-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Does anyone agree that it would be nice if Adam Freeland would make a trip back? *sigh* that guy gets the crowd moving...

I would love for adam freeland, but i am more than happy to see the evils play out

cfritz75
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
guess I was 1 year too late for DnB in the Sahara...damn. But seriously how are they ever going to top Daft Punk? That was amazing.

I have to agree with the others. I'm not a fan of trance so I'm quite a bit disappointed in the headliners for the Sahara this year. To each his own. PVD does play a great massive and I assume Tiesto does also... but if it's anything like Oakie last year it will be a bummer. I'm sooo over that guy and his ego.

Personally I'm hoping (and praying) for Prodigy. I hear they are putting out an album this year.

Yookeroo
01-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Girl Talk is amazing, but I don't see him rockin' Sahara...i think it will be more of a mohave thing...

They had 2ManyDjs in the Sahara a few years ago. I expect Girl Talk will be too.

jackstraw94086
01-23-2007, 10:18 PM
They had 2ManyDjs in the Sahara a few years ago. I expect Girl Talk will be too.

2manydj's does mash up hip hop and rock, but mostly with some sort of structed dance rhythm. Girl Talk is all over the place. He's not a dance music DJ.

My money's on Gobi.

somewhatdamaged
01-24-2007, 12:05 AM
danng i can not wait for the sahara tent. its going to be amazingg. tiesto, PVD, felix da housecat, benny benassi, shadow, and justice!

Sci-Fi
01-24-2007, 12:19 AM
where's the Drum & Bass?

bmack86
01-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I'll see Justice for sure, and MSTRKRFT. I need to hear some of the others. Faithless and Shadow'll be awesome, tho.

instinct
01-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Justice will rock it.. In a few years.. They will be one of the biggest electronica acts.. They have that electronic but i can still kick your ass type of feel.. kind of reminds me of Daft Punk a little..

Everyone on the Ed Banger Label rocks..

straya87
01-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Pendulum live, nothing better than live dnd unless its pendulum live.....or possibly a dieselboy set, that would be nice too :)

sddoctor
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Justice will rock it.. In a few years.. They will be one of the biggest electronica acts.. They have that electronic but i can still kick your ass type of feel.. kind of reminds me of Daft Punk a little..

Everyone on the Ed Banger Label rocks..

I agree with you in every way.

durrrrrrrrdee
01-24-2007, 12:03 PM

ive seen them all and...

Felix Da Housecat - great track selection but cant beat match worth a damn!

Richie Hawtin - me and my friends have a joke about this guy. why? cause everything he plays sounds exactly the same so his set sounds like hes playing ONE record, we call all djs that play repetitive stuff, richie hawtins.

Tiesto & Paul van Dyk - play trance, 'nuff said.

EuroTrash
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
No, see, this is the part that I object to. Trance as a whole is really stale and dated, and we need to break the stranglehold it has on the Sahara tent (and on the southern California electronic music scene in general).

Saying "Well, the tent is for Trance and if you don't like it, go somewhere else," is not good enough. The tent is for electronic dance music as a whole, not just for Trance.

Hey, as long as it isn't Freedom or Gabber, I won't chim in on how ridiculous the music sounds. I've been in the Sahara tent every year the last 4 years (this year will be my 5th). Each year I've heard a LOT of trance.

I'm just saying if you don't like trance you'll probably be disappointed in the tent this year. Half of those DJs I mentioned originially play progressive-trance for the most part. Infected Mushroom plays psytrance as well...

I dunno, I grew up in Europe and our idea of trance and US idea of trance are two totally different things.

Bosco
01-24-2007, 12:22 PM
How about Stuart Price comes and does a DJ set. He was the one that made Madonna's latest album listenable.

sddoctor
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
How about Stuart Price comes and does a DJ set. He was the one that made Madonna's latest album listenable.

Especially if he did alot of Les Rythmes Digitales stuff...I like his Thin White Duke stuff, but Les Rythmes is top notch. Whatever happened to his Man With Guitar moniker?

cheeeeebo
01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Especially if he did alot of Les Rythmes Digitales stuff...I like his Thin White Duke stuff, but Les Rythmes is top notch. Whatever happened to his Man With Guitar moniker?

If I rememeber correctly, I think I did see a man with guitar track not that long ago, but lately all Ive seen are Thin White Duke remixes.

Something about French producers. Their just a notch above.

malcolmjamalawesome
01-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Why isn't anyone requesting Dave Wang? He CRUSHED the Sahara mid afternoon set in '04.

Steinbot
01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Dave Wang kills it...I saw him NYE in Chicago. Next to Daft and the revitalizing post Madonna Coldcut set, it hands down earned a place in my 2006 awesomeville highlights.

Bosco
01-24-2007, 08:43 PM
If I rememeber correctly, I think I did see a man with guitar track not that long ago, but lately all Ive seen are Thin White Duke remixes.

Something about French producers. Their just a notch above.

lol, actually Stuart Price aka Jacques Lu Cont aka Les Rythmes Digitales aka Man With Guitar aka Thin White Duke aka what ever names he makes up in the future... is British, not French. Jacques Lu Cont is just his french moniker.

I thought he was french too at first, unitll my friend corrected me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Price

MsTekno
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree, I was a little disappointed with the Sahara Tent, I was hoping for some acts we don't get to see too often in SoCal. Other than Richie Hawtin (who was ANYTHING but "repetitive" at his set at Avalon in Nov, a couple of months ago, IMHO) - I would pay just to see him.

But I was really hoping for Underworld or Rabbit in the Moon live. Oh well, I'll stll be there checking out some acts I'm not so familiar with - I'll be happy if the music keeps me dancing!

modeux
01-24-2007, 09:54 PM

hey. don't steal my thoughts.

napaquetzalli
01-24-2007, 10:22 PM
JUSTICE JUSTICE JUSTICE

i am basically dying with excitement.

cheeeeebo
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
lol, actually Stuart Price aka Jacques Lu Cont aka Les Rythmes Digitales aka Man With Guitar aka Thin White Duke aka what ever names he makes up in the future... is British, not French. Jacques Lu Cont is just his french moniker.

I thought he was french too at first, unitll my friend corrected me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Price

Uhhh, you may want to read that over again, Bosco. From the your link:

"Stuart David Price (born in Paris, 9 September 1977)"

Dude simply grew up in the UK. I was born in Mexico, raised in Orange County, does that make me white?

Bosco
01-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Uhhh, you may want to read that over again, Bosco. From the your link:

"Stuart David Price (born in Paris, 9 September 1977)"

Dude simply grew up in the UK. I was born in Mexico, raised in Orange County, does that make me white?

well i blew that one

mobius9
01-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Why haven't any of you trance haters mentioned benny benassi yet? His performance at love fest was the most unique out of everyone there. He has all kinds of bootlegs, tracks and remixes that he just pulls out of his ass.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r1acuhv_-Mk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sNk7khyBDwY

paulb
01-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Why haven't any of you trance haters mentioned benny benassi yet? His performance at love fest was the most unique out of everyone there. He has all kinds of bootlegs, tracks and remixes that he just pulls out of his ass.

he looks sick! i wrote him on my "to see" list.

cheeeeebo
01-25-2007, 07:26 AM

There's a actually already a thread below where a lot of us express our disappointment in his addition to the line up. Saw both of your videos. While the first video started off good and showed some promise, the electro banger that he started his set off with, simply led to cheesy trance. Second video is more of the same with some edit of his Top 40 club friendly "Satisfaction". I actually was there at LoveFest as well. Like I said before, a vitalic set or a sebastian set would've been a lot better. They're superior djs and superior producers. There's simply a whole bunch of other djs who are simply better, that's all.

mobius9
01-26-2007, 11:32 PM
cheeeeebo, he never played that song. he killed the fader on the previous track and went to school on the effects section of the DJM800 with the acapella of satisfaction in order to create an interesting transition. He's really a better dj than people give him credit for. Most of the tracks he played were personally altered as well, I think many of the people who are ragging on him haven't heard anything he's done live... he has a completely different set of music he plays in clubs vs what he plays on Radio FG. Above and Beyond's productions are much "cheesier" but I still consider them fantastic. We could always get into who's better and less known than who. I think Benny is a good addition to the lineup. James Zabiela & Nic Fanciulli are starting their Sasha & Digweed style One+One US Tour at the WMC, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended at Coachella.

xbnmx
01-27-2007, 12:27 AM
I feel the above two posts are credible.

cheeeeebo
01-27-2007, 08:45 AM
cheeeeebo, he never played that song. he killed the fader on the previous track and went to school on the effects section of the DJM800 with the acapella of satisfaction in order to create an interesting transition. He's really a better dj than people give him credit for. Most of the tracks he played were personally altered as well, I think many of the people who are ragging on him haven't heard anything he's done live... he has a completely different set of music he plays in clubs vs what he plays on Radio FG. Above and Beyond's productions are much "cheesier" but I still consider them fantastic. We could always get into who's better and less known than who. I think Benny is a good addition to the lineup. James Zabiela & Nic Fanciulli are starting their Sasha & Digweed style One+One US Tour at the WMC, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended at Coachella.

I hear ya, man. I guess I just didnt give the second video a chance. As soon as I heard Satisfaction, I turned it off. While I was there at Love Fest this past year, I do admit that I did not catch Benny, at least that I can remember. I was in front of the Spundae float for most of the day having a beer, but the only one that I remember for certain is Dj Rap. Anyway, we'll see. There's nothing we could do now, he's on the lineup so I'll likely catch his set and see what he sounds like live.

The reason why everybody rips on him, myself included, is because all of his stuff sounds the same. Even his remixes. They all have the Satisfaction sound. The names that I mention aren't unknown names either. I'm sure a ton of other people on this board know who they are. The two guys that I mentioned, along with a bunch of others (Erol Alkan, Trentemoller, Switch, Tiga, Para One, Alan Braxe, Tiefschwarz, Boys Noize, etc. etc.) are simply producing better music, quality stuff that is relevant today. Benny is still riding the wave of Satisfaction. He hasnt produced anything decent since. We'd, or at least I'd prefer to listen to someone who's relevant today, or has been consistent over the years and has proven to be a quality producer, like Trentemoller (who's relevant today) or Vitalic (who's consistent).

I respect your opinion and hope that my post did not come off in a pretentious manner.

Nil705
01-27-2007, 09:05 AM
YEs, I'm also incredibly psyched to see these guys.

DJ Shadow - been wanting to see him for a while. I wonder if he'll do a set like on the 'In Tune and In Time' DVD or if it'll be a straight DJ set.

Tiesto - Saw him in Miami a while back. I was willing to give him a chance even though I'm not a big fan. No joke... he was horrible. Hopefully he'll have something better this time around.

Richie Hawtin - Best DJ set I ever saw was this man! AND he just keeps getting better from what I hear.

MSTRKRFT, Justice - Going to be insane!!

joppy-slow
01-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I would have to disagree about this dj line up being weak.. Benny and Tiesto are not my cup of tea either, but I don't disrespect people for liking them.. I've never seen PVD spin, so I probably will check out his sets. I'm sure he will throw in gems that we have never heard before, or new tracks that he is working on. I'm sure they have very great light shows also.. I think I read that Tiesto has a mind blowing light show...

Now to the meat of our subject..

Soulwax, Justice, Faithless, MSTRKRFT, Girl Talk, LCD Soundsystem, Evil Nine, David Guetta and Digitalism will all put on great sets.. I think this may be the best dance line up Coachella has ever put out..

xbnmx
01-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Are you fucking kidding me? Look at last year: Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Paul Oakenfold, Carl Cox, Louie Vega, Michael Mayer, Kaskade, Gabriel and Dresden, Audio Bullys, ShyFX and T-Power etc.

kreutz2112
01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
...Soulwax, Justice, Faithless, MSTRKRFT, Girl Talk, LCD Soundsystem, Evil Nine, David Guetta and Digitalism will all put on great sets.. I think this may be the best dance line up Coachella has ever put out..

Faithless!!!

joebizz
01-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I have'nt seen anyone yet give it up for the almighty D.J.Heather! Do not miss her set, if you are a serious house head. First time I saw her was at the legendary Melodic events in L.A., circa "97. She was playing in a small room while Mark Farina was spinning the main, and, I'm a huge Farina fan, but she smoked him, rocking 3 tables without skipping a beat. Incrediblly genuine nice woman, and throws down with the best of 'em. If you like it funky, you will love Heather.

instinct
01-27-2007, 05:38 PM
dj heather is good.. but it's not like a rare thing when she comes around.

joebizz
01-27-2007, 05:58 PM
I know, but it might be interesting for those who have not heard her.

hangthedj112
01-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Royksopp would be awesome. I've been listening to Melody A.M. a lot lately, tis' a classic.

Somewhat Damaged
01-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Chemical Brothers were at Coachella last year? Really? Could've sworn it was the year prior.

newalias
01-27-2007, 11:34 PM

HELL YES. Don't forget about Faithless. This is a piece of dance history here, they will put on a fun show on Friday night!

newalias
01-27-2007, 11:37 PM

This too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2cyS3uSP4
SLUTTIEST VIDEO EVER...BUT FUN!

newalias
01-27-2007, 11:41 PM
More benassi scat porn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052ymOr_hKA

b4ipineaway
01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
sahara tent:
"oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, bow wooooow, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, boooow wow, peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch, oom tisch"

ChiefThunderFist
01-28-2007, 12:24 PM
VITALIC would be an incredible addition. He's close friends with Daft Punk, his debut mix CD will be out soon, and he seems to never be in the US... oh, and he made what is easily one of the best albums of the last five years. If anyone other than Underworld is able to inherit DP's throne, it's Vitalic.

Golden Voice -- please revisit Vitalic's OK Cowboy (this would be a revisit, right?). Or get your hands on his new mix CD. You'll hear why I don't need to beg.

sighlent
01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I have to agree on Vitalic... he put on such a good show in San Francisco when I saw him... he would be perfect for coachella.

cheeeeebo
01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
What I wouldn't give to hear Vitalic play this little monster and completely blow the tent apart. By far my favorite track of his. Newman a close second.

Sound's a bit crap, but you get the idea.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8OrR9Dw5T4

Edited to add another video. Better quality.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6dY2sNfzQ

jaysocal
01-28-2007, 01:40 PM
HELL YES. Don't forget about Faithless. This is a piece of dance history here, they will put on a fun show on Friday night!

Do we think that Faithless will headline the Sarah tent on Friday Night?? Or, do you all think that there might be a special surprise on Friday. Faithless is pretty good live!!

superfiction
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
not to jump back to shadow. but who knows, maybe he'll pull a z trip (ala chester bennington w/ walking dead) and have zack come out to bust march of death live

malcolmjamalawesome
01-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Dave Wang says Chemical Brothers did NOT play the same year as Daft Punk. And Trance is Dead.

Carlitos
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
having paul van dyk and infected mushroom its enough for me..

auto_drive
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
i've only seen video of infected mushroom, and i am excited about them. i liked what they were putting out there i guess. i heard bad things about their EDC set though, so hopefully this year will be better.

and perhaps if PVD and tiesto bring something different than their normal club set, i will be impressed. it will take a lot though. i mean hell, oakenfold impressed me last year, so i guess anything's possible!

also, i saw hawtin at nocturnal in 2005 and was really impressed, that should be insane :)

well said!

HAWTIN, TIESTO, DJ HEATHER, BENASSI, FELIX, SHADOW, JUSTICE, and so many more. all look good and i hope sound good.

but i'm not totally here for EDM! i'll get my fair share at ELECTRO TECHNO DISCO POP, WMC/ULTRA, and other parties such as that where there is nothing but EDM. *cough-housemusic-cough*

if there was someone that i didnt want to watch in the Sahara tent i hit up another stage or the bar (damn we were trashed)! that is when i saw WOLFMOTHER. GAWD DAMN!

nothing will ever top carl cox, derrick carter or was it may, and DAFT PUNK!!!

cheeeeebo
01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
well said!

HAWTIN, TIESTO, DJ HEATHER, BENASSI, FELIX, SHADOW, JUSTICE, and so many more. all look good and i hope sound good.

but i'm not totally here for EDM! i'll get my fair share at ELECTRO TECHNO DISCO POP, WMC/ULTRA, and other parties such as that where there is nothing but EDM. *cough-housemusic-cough*

if there was someone that i didnt want to watch in the Sahara tent i hit up another stage or the bar (damn we were trashed)! that is when i saw WOLFMOTHER. GAWD DAMN!

nothing will ever top carl cox, derrick carter or was it may, and DAFT PUNK!!!

Derrick May wasn't there last year. It was definitely Carter. I caught the set myself, as well.

jaysocal
01-28-2007, 07:55 PM
u think you guys are gonna buy e there? cuz someone might sell if theres a demand

I really have a feeling that this conversation is NOT GOOD for this board...come on people, get a f*cking clue!

jaysocal
01-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Derrick May wasn't there last year. It was definitely Carter. I caught the set myself, as well.

It WAS derrick carter...he's great...seen him 4 times. David Guetta will also be good...there are some house names on this ticket. I think that the Coachella lineup is a lot better than the Ultra ticket...if you look, its the same damn headliners...I still think Bang! had the best lineup for any Miami fest so far.

auto_drive
01-29-2007, 06:23 PM

"It WAS derrick carter...he's great...seen him 4 times. David Guetta will also be good...there are some house names on this ticket. I think that the Coachella lineup is a lot better than the Ultra ticket...if you look, its the same damn headliners...I still think Bang! had the best lineup for any Miami fest so far."

thanks on the derrick carter thing. damn those sets were killer. i was in the back of the tent bustin out. kinda remind me of the scene back in the day!

dude jaysocal, were you at BANG? i have my shirt in my room with the line up. cheesy i know... and about the whole "E" comment... seriously people! leave it to some dumbass/newb to bring that up~

would anyone like to meet up for drink at some point before headed back into the tent?

orbit
01-30-2007, 12:03 AM
It WAS derrick carter...he's great...seen him 4 times. David Guetta will also be good...there are some house names on this ticket. I think that the Coachella lineup is a lot better than the Ultra ticket...if you look, its the same damn headliners...I still think Bang! had the best lineup for any Miami fest so far.

David Guetta, Tiesto, Van Dyk, da Housecat.. all of them SUCK! GV could have brought Miss Kittin, Dave Clarke and Underworld instead, and a couple of more breaks or dnb djs.. Then it would be lot better than Ultra.

sapako
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
i've seen all these guys and i respectfully disagree. it takes more than being famours or a so cal regular to play coachella.

the Beatles
Coldplay
U2
Little Richard
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Led Zeppelin
Bjork
the doors
the Beach Boys
Queen
Pink Floyd

wow---looks like the best bands in the world happen to have been the most famous ones too! what are the chances?

summerkid
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
are we getting 2 hour sets from each group in the sahara this year or what because by my count we have 5 sahara bands each days and each day has a live act or two that may require some break between sets to set everything up.

ediger
03-26-2007, 01:55 PM
is there a difference?

I couldn't help it

heh, I was thinking of saying something along the same lines

ediger
03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
the Beatles
Coldplay
U2
Little Richard
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Led Zeppelin
Bjork
the doors
the Beach Boys
Queen
Pink Floyd

wow---looks like the best bands in the world happen to have been the most famous ones too! what are the chances?

Bjork, Coldplay and to a slightly lesser extent, U2, should not be anywhere near that list.