PDA

View Full Version : Petition for better late night music in the campgrounds

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 11:26 AM
I've only attended the past two years, but I've heard stories about epic sets in the campgrounds in years past (flylo, etc). The roller rink in 2011 was fun, but last year was pretty dismal. I wanted to punch who ever that shitty DJ was spinning top 40 all night on Thursday, and the silent disco was not up to muster. It was kind of a let down, especially saturday night coming off of the incredible Radiohead set and seeing virtually nothing going down in the campgrounds. Maybe I just missed whatever was going on, but I made a pretty big circuit of the campgrounds every night and didn't see much. I just want to party, dammit!

travelfan
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
The entire campground Weekend 1 was absolutely dead. It was bizarre. The colder than average weather probably had an effect, but at one point we tried to find the silent disco and couldn't...was it open every night? I know they said BadBadNotGood would be the resident late night band, but I never once saw them, and am not convinced they even played...did anybody see them?

I agree, I would love to see some better campground sets or activities.

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
BBNG did play every night, but I'm pretty sure they started during the headliner and finished about a half hour after people started coming back. They also played the same set every night. The silent disco was only on saturday and sunday night, cause apparently the DJ thursday night went too late and got fined or something (according to a silent disco dude we talked to). So overall it was pretty lame.

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
And I guess the cold could have been a factor but come on, It's fucking Coachella. Party time central.

gam3g3ni3
01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
I saw dodgeball going on at 2am after radiohead. What is a better activity than that?

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
I saw dodgeball going on at 2am after radiohead. What is a better activity than that?

Anything involving music and dancing. It's a music fest, not fifth grade gym class.

JustSteve
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
The music should be within the festival itself. After 13 hours of music a little break is nice.

xanman86
01-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Tall Paul was pretty entertaining

stinkbutt
01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
How about a couple actual bands instead of just DJs? I'm sure any of the names on the bottom line would be thrilled to have more exposure

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
The music should be within the festival itself. After 13 hours of music a little break is nice.

A little break can nice, I agree, but that's why you have a campground. Coachella is my one big vacation every year and I want to squeeze every inch of fun out if it that I can. I don't want to be shunted into a silent campground after having my mind blown all day. I want to sit and have a beer or two and then keep partying till the wee hours. If that's not your thing that's fine but I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

How about a couple actual bands instead of just DJs? I'm sure any of the names on the bottom line would be thrilled to have more exposure

Good point I would be totally down for this as well.

NeedMoreChorizo
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
SIgned. The roller rink was fantastic way to end the night. Super Tall Paul was awesome for winding down, though.

gam3g3ni3
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Just not 2 Bears please. I don't need them anywhere around where I am late at night.

xanman86
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
http://youtu.be/0C2-NNnCymU

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah that looks fun, I think I walked by it at one point, but their little area could only hold maybe two dozen people. Didn't the Dome used to do late night stuff back in the day? My friend was telling me that it used to go till four or something. They should bring that back.

Highly Refined Pirate
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
That "silent dance party" was horseshit and they didn't even do it Saturday or Sunday, 100% agree w this idea

canexplain
01-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I agree. I love Coachella and sometimes you want to go back to your camp but you should have the option of just staying up and dancing as long as you want and can. Grow up Coachella: I know there are the laws but The Roo and Waka go all night. cr****

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm glad people agree. I thought I took crazy pills last year, everyone was hunkered down in their campsites.

geonotgio
01-26-2013, 01:59 PM
bbng was always playing before and after. They played one morning till like 2-3am. They improvised one time and had a random fellow come and rap on the mic for a song or two. I caught them every night when i wanted to go to the general store.

geonotgio
01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
AND YES WE NEED MORE CAMPGROUND PARTY OPTIONS

zemorr
01-26-2013, 02:14 PM
dirtybird records is spinning the campgrounds this year!!!

Iamwelting
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
dirtybird records is spinning the campgrounds this year!!!

Are you basing this on anything?

Iamwelting
01-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Bump. This situation needs to change, people.

AeroplaneJunkie
01-27-2013, 03:26 PM
BADBADNOTGOOD played every morning and at night an hour after the headliners??? lol am i the only one that got to see them? they were great. and Earl Sweatshirt was in the crowd on saturday night, which was cool since there was only 50-100 people in that crowd.

Stickjohn
01-27-2013, 03:43 PM
No more Levels in the campground from shitty car stereos is good enough for me. I'd rather have more musical instruments in the campground. don't let this be a banjo-free Coachella!

eddiebrock
01-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Saturday of weekend 1 someone threw an after party with a home made stage setup. There was a girl throwing glowsticks to the crowd (which was about 50 ppl at one point) and some dude in a led suit dancing on top of an RV. Anybody catch that? Music could of been better but I thought it was a pretty cool DIY stage.

jjxbrassmonkey92
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
The silent dance party really freaked me out. but the roller rink was awesome.

drewskeee
01-28-2013, 09:47 AM
After witnessing the spectacle that was the campground in 2010 and partying into the wee hours of the morning at Bonnaroo and Wakarusa, I also feel there needs to be some late night activity this year. The Silent Disco at Bonnaroo is always a party and is fun to watch even when you don't have a pair of headphones on. On Friday and Saturday night, I walked all over that damn campground, grabbed a spicy pie, and went back to our tent because it was so dead. I'm sure the cold didn't help, but I would much rather be raving my ass off in the cold than sweating bullets at 2am. Here's to bringing some life back to the campgrounds! Light-up swings!

Ajo209
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I think its because the day time wasn't blisteringly hot so people started drinking heavily earlier in the day instead of waiting for the sun to go down meaning earlier bed times. The cold of the night making my girlfriends teeth chatter also made sure we got warm in the tent earlier rather than later.

was weekend two more lively when it was warm at night?

fredbull
01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
oh man..... the dome in 2009 was awsome, and the bass face camping sessions in 2010 were great as well... by comparison the roller rink in 2011 and the nothingness last year were dissapointing.... i really wish they would bring the dome back......

billtino
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
That "silent dance party" was horseshit and they didn't even do it Saturday or Sunday, 100% agree w this idea

It did happen during Sat/Sun Week 2 last year, but yes....horseshit. sweaty funked up earwaxy headphones horseshit.

Fidoosh
01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
100% agree there should be better partivities!!! I think even just sitting around those LED SWINGS listening to the DJ(in 2010 I believe) just havin some beers chatting with everyone was 10x better than the silent disco this past year.

tarrivi
01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
I am all for this! I will admit that the cold hands down put a damper on my after partying. After exploring Thursday and only seeing the disco I was kind of over after partying anyways since it wasn't that much. Hard to top that tent in 2010 when the music went ALL night long. That being said it would be nice to see something better happen this year.

syrrus101
01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Bring back rollerskating plzzzzzzzzzz

scorrigan
01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Seriously, the "DJ" last year was a top shelf shit bird! I heard DMX more in those 4 nights than I have in the last decade. Stunningly terrible!

The roller rink was fun and I would take that over last year but I would love the dome or a stage!! The silent disco was awful, I hope it rots in hell.

wildflowa
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
100% agree there should be better partivities!!! I think even just sitting around those LED SWINGS listening to the DJ(in 2010 I believe) just havin some beers chatting with everyone was 10x better than the silent disco this past year.

THESE were awesome. 2010 campsite was the best: Roller rink, campground stage going off until 5 am, swings and moreee. GV needs to step it up.

Iamwelting
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm serious, people.

geonotgio
03-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I think its because the day time wasn't blisteringly hot so people started drinking heavily earlier in the day instead of waiting for the sun to go down meaning earlier bed times. The cold of the night making my girlfriends teeth chatter also made sure we got warm in the tent earlier rather than later.

was weekend two more lively when it was warm at night?

WEEKEND 2 HAD AWESOME WEATHER. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

Y0UNGBL00D
03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
i cant remember...no instruments allowed at all or just inside the festival grounds?

vertin
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Saturday of weekend 1 someone threw an after party with a home made stage setup. There was a girl throwing glowsticks to the crowd (which was about 50 ppl at one point) and some dude in a led suit dancing on top of an RV. Anybody catch that? Music could of been better but I thought it was a pretty cool DIY stage.

i was there

EliteZags
03-10-2013, 08:47 PM
i cant remember...no instruments allowed at all or just inside the festival grounds?

No instruments in campgrounds is an unwritten rule. Leave the music to the pros no one wants to hear every amateur artist after 12 hours of music fest

Y0UNGBL00D
03-11-2013, 04:57 AM
figured as much.

Mammoth85
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
The DJ Lineup and Roller Rink in 2010 was solid. Something to that effect would be terrif. Of course you may not want to go hard every night, but yes, it is nice to have your options.

Mugwog
03-11-2013, 01:49 PM
No instruments in campgrounds is an unwritten rule. Leave the music to the pros no one wants to hear every amateur artist after 12 hours of music fest

Fuck that rule. If you came to a music festival to sleep, you're doing it wrong. The campgrounds are huge, people will be up late and people will have renegade sound setups. It's really dumb that Coachella tries to regulate the after hours. Who the fuck wants to camp next to the guy who will bitch at hearing music after 2am on a Saturday anyway?

Regarding the topic: Instead of asking for better music, learn to DJ or setup a soundsystem and throw your own after party, the pussy and cock will come flying to you and so will the local festival drug dealers. Stop relying on GV to wow you even more, you're on a huge grass field with people from all over the world, if you can't make better use of that, well then shit, you're the change that needs to happen. #BETHECHANGEFORFESTIVALS

Doses_On_Sunday#K.C.
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
WEEKEND 2 HAD AWESOME WEATHER. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

Heaven Is A Place On Earth.