PDA

View Full Version : Jam Bands for 2013

PhoneWentWest
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
So a few jam bands have played in the past like My Morning Jacket, STS9 and Modeski, Martin and Wood. Aside from the shorter sets compared to other festivals why can't we get a lil jamminess in So Cal.
Some bands that could be interesting are Disco Biscuits or Umphrey's McGee.

Also does anyone think My Morning Jacket or Jim James could be playing this year?

concertgoer
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I hope not

GuyInTucson
01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.bonnaroo.com/

GuyInTucson
01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I could see Jim James being at Coachella this year, though.

PhoneWentWest
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I could see Jim James being at Coachella this year, though.

New album out in Feb.

Yah, someday i'll get to Bonnaroo. Since I live in Southern California i've only really gotten to Coachella and FYF.

meyouseek
01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Primus is pretty much a jam band these days. I'd like to see them make an appearance, but doubt it since they've been through LA a few times recently.

isnate
01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/space/images/jamradar.jpg

kneuller
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
no thanks

getbetter
01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
New album out in Feb.

Yah, someday i'll get to Bonnaroo. Since I live in Southern California i've only really gotten to Coachella and FYF.

If you don't go to Coachella and FYF you could afford Bonnaroo.

Neighborhood Creep
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
It would be nice to have 1 or 2 on the lineup

Iamwelting
01-08-2013, 05:54 PM
As you might guess from my avatar I'm a big MMW fan. Would love to see them on the lineup. Other jam band type acts that might be good at Coach would be Rubblebucket, Galactic, Marco Benevento Trio, and Orgone. Bring the funkiness. People hate, but music is music, maaaaaan.

santasutt
01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
It would be nice to have 1 or 2 on the lineup

I would watch Phish.

Or any Bobby outfit for that matter.

Iamwelting
01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Also any iteration of Soulive, Lettuce, etc.

Pea
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
BANLETE OP

betao
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I've had the unfortunate please of seeing STS9, Trey Anastasio, Widespread Panic, Perpertual Groove, DSO, Umphreys Mcgee, Lotus, moe, and a plenty of others that fall into this category.

Fuck that noise. Keep that shit at the Roo or the dozen of other jam festivals that are in the US.

canexplain
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Just saying ......they jam ....cr****
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5leza_ATxY&feature=player_detailpage

Edit: BTW did ya notice Lemmy...just a pup ......

scenicworld
01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I know it's not a popular opinion on this board, but I'd welcome STS9 (and MMJ).

juloxx
01-10-2013, 10:00 AM
The whiteness is strong in this thread

juloxx
01-10-2013, 10:00 AM
But seriously, fuck this idea with a spike bat

unit300021
01-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I know it's not a popular opinion on this board, but I'd welcome STS9 (and MMJ).

This is about as far as I would go for for jam bands at Coachella. I like jam bands but there is a time and a place for them, and Coachella isn't that time nor place.

Larry Farnsworth
01-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Holy shit My Morning Jacket is not a fucking jam band. Just because the unwashed trustafarian masses have embraced them doesn't make them a bunch of tuneless noodlers. Same with Medeski Martin & Wood - they're a jazz trio, but their flair for improvisation and unfortunate mid-90's endorsement from Trey Anastasio means you can't go see them in a decent environment without some dreaded up wookie spinning in the aisles and yelling "WOOOO" at every harpsichord solo.

StarsAreBurning
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Billy Martin from MMW has a new group called Wicked Knee, that just released a new album "heels over head" on tuesday & is touring europe this year. Would be a fun early daytime slot kinda thing. Les claypool is touring with his "Duo de twang" this summer, no primus. Some jam-bandish electronica is probably more likely with the likes of Eliot Lipp, Bassnectar, Michael Menert & STS9. I could also see Tea Leaf Green, Femi Kuti or Tortoise on the polo fields as possibilities. But for the most part, jam bands have TONS of festivals to play all over the U.S. Coachella would only grab 1 or 2 artists, if that.

crushedheart
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
I actually would love it if Phish, My Morning Jacket, or Umphrey's were on the line-up. Doubtful but one could wish...

Neighborhood Creep
01-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Umphrey's would be a good fit if there was a 1 jamband/year add

crushedheart
01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Umphrey's would be a good fit if there was a 1 jamband/year add

Totally! I was at their Halloween show. Complete dance party.

PhoneWentWest
01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Umphrey's is playing 2 nights in LA (March 22nd & 23rd) at the end of their spring tour with no shows scheduled till May. Joel the keyboardist moved our to LA last year, so who knows maybe a lil UMPH love is in our future.

Also I loved last years Jam band at Coachella Gary Clark Jr. Can't think of any other acts from last year that was a jam band.

TomAz
01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Holy shit My Morning Jacket is not a fucking jam band. Just because the unwashed trustafarian masses have embraced them doesn't make them a bunch of tuneless noodlers. Same with Medeski Martin & Wood - they're a jazz trio, but their flair for improvisation and unfortunate mid-90's endorsement from Trey Anastasio means you can't go see them in a decent environment without some dreaded up wookie spinning in the aisles and yelling "WOOOO" at every harpsichord solo.

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

Les Playcool
01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I would love if Phish played Coachella..

After all, they did have their very own, and very successful festival at the polo grounds. Brought over 40k fans, and their entire fanbase is centrally located in the Northeast. Of course, I'm sure some would think it would hurt Coachella's "image", so to speak.

Even though Trey did collaborate with members from The National, Bon Iver, and a few other enjoyed bands around these parts on his newest solo album. Trey Anastasio Band would obviously be a more realistic performance.

crushedheart
01-10-2013, 01:07 PM

After all, they did have their very own, and very successful festival at the polo grounds. Brought over 40k fans, and their entire fanbase is centrally located in the Northeast. Of course, I'm sure some would think it would hurt Coachella's "image", so to speak.

Even though Trey did collaborate with members from The National, Bon Iver, and a few other enjoyed bands around these parts on his newest solo album. Trey Anastasio Band would obviously be a more realistic performance.

Yeah, I went to Festival 8, which was awesome. Good crowd and great show. TAB would be more realistic. Wonder if they'll return to Indio for Festival 10.

PhoneWentWest
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Troof....TAB for 2013!

nuclearstevem
01-10-2013, 11:14 PM
The Genre "Jam Band" has become quite vague these days but there are always some on the line-up every year. You could even make an argument that Grace Potter and the Nocturnals is a Jam Band and they had a great set last year. You'll probably discover a new band you have never heard that could qualify as a "Jam Band" in 2013. As far as the Big Name Jam Bands like Phish, Widespread Panic and The String Cheese Incident, 50 minutes doesn't quite cut it for them unless they are planning on playing one or two songs only and they probably wouldn't be welcomed enough to rationalize their cost as a headliner. Acts like The Disco biscuits and Bela Fleck would be more realistic for the Coachella Line up. With that being said, I would absolutely Love to see any of the following that could possibly be qualified as a Jam Band: Neil Young, The Allman Brothers Band, The Mars Volta or anything Les Claypool at Coachella.

PhoneWentWest
01-10-2013, 11:54 PM
forgot Grace Potter and the Noc. great set last year. The Volta and Les are def welcome at Coachella

bganch
01-11-2013, 12:16 AM
I'd be just fine with String Cheese Incident playing a 50 minute set composed of the songs "Rivertrance", "This Must Be The Place" and "Under African Skies"... just sayin'. Maybe throw in "Joyful Sound" if they have time.

Iamwelting
01-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Mars Volta are not a jam band. Definitely prog rock. Do they do live improvisation? I've never seen them live but I like their albums.

Iamwelting
01-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Also I think Robert Randolph and the Family Band could pull off Coachella.

Neighborhood Creep
01-11-2013, 05:26 AM
RR&F would be awesome. I saw them in '08 at Bonnaroo the day after Kanye fucked everything up and he got the crowd to chant "fuck Kanye". Quite hilarious

DruggyFestivalGuy
01-11-2013, 05:38 AM
Y'all know the DFG supports this

vibesandstuff
01-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Going to vote no on Jam Bands at Coachella. There are an endless number of festivals that specialize in them, mostly in Colorado and the midwest. Keep the hippies off the polo fields. I would almost prefer country.

drew8970
01-11-2013, 09:49 AM
I've never understood the hate for jam bands from people that like shitty techno music.

That being said, I'm surprised that Umphrey's McGee or Disco Biscuits haven't played yet.

And I'd take any of the more folky jam acts during the day (Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule, Yonder Mountain String Band)

Phish would still be amazing at Coachella to prove to everyone how fucking good they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYg01al9lo4

PhoneWentWest
01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
The Black Crowes? maybe?

canexplain
01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Going to vote no on Jam Bands at Coachella. There are an endless number of festivals that specialize in them, mostly in Colorado and the midwest. Keep the hippies off the polo fields. I would almost prefer country.

I am an old hippy and love jam bands but yea it's like putting Jack White on the Ultra Festival. Fuck Jack could probably pull it off :) I already have my Waka tics and going to the Roo for sure.... cr****

DaFunkyPrecedent
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
YEAH! Less beautiful and free hippies with their good drugs and more Bro-hams and teenie bopper sluts and their shitty drugs!

nuclearstevem
01-17-2013, 11:39 PM
I wish the Black Crowes could be there! They are playing Phili on April 12th, Detroit on the 14th, St Louis 19th, and Nashville on the 20th and 21st. A 15 min version of "Wiser Time" at the Outdoor Stage would be pretty Damb Chill.

TomAz
01-18-2013, 05:52 AM
lG0L86DRuC8

The only Jam band Coachella needs.

anonimouse
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Phish would still be amazing at Coachella to prove to everyone how fucking good they are.

this doesnt sound good to me. it sounds like noodley hippy bullshit. that being said, i respect your opinion to like it. you just need to understand just cause it does something for you doesnt mean it will do something for everyone. the world is not waiting to discover "how good" Phish is, they've kinda been around a while. most of us just dont care.

ditto for Umphreys, String Cheese and so on. they have their place in the world but that place is not here. keep the hippy jam bands at the other fests plx

dancedancedance
01-18-2013, 03:20 PM
http://youtu.be/ruJEXjs16Tc

Agreed.

Neighborhood Creep
01-18-2013, 03:27 PM
You naysayers are a bunch of egotistical pussys to bitch about having 1 jam band to get a crowd moving during a 3 day Fest with 5+ stages. There's 20+ shitty EDM spots every year. At least give us 1 decent band to 'noodle' to and be not be surrounded by a bunch of thizzed out gremlins.

santasutt
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
http://youtu.be/ruJEXjs16Tc

Agreed.

Bruce Foxton's mullet rivals Wayne Gretzky's classic Edmonton cut.

Amazing clip.

Coachella would do well to book the Jam and a top shelf jam band.

PhoneWentWest
01-18-2013, 05:34 PM
You naysayers are a bunch of egotistical pussys to bitch about having 1 jam band to get a crowd moving during a 3 day Fest with 5+ stages. There's 20+ shitty EDM spots every year. At least give us 1 decent band to 'noodle' to and be not be surrounded by a bunch of thizzed out gremlins.

second.

On that note, have you heard Big Gigantic? EDM but with a live Drum kit and Sax. They played Jam Cruise XI and apparently killed it. If they get booked I highly suggest you checkin em out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r92hZGGuCyo

anonimouse
01-18-2013, 06:25 PM

might be because coachella is known for EDM acts, not hippy jam bands. i'm into many other genres of music that dont really belong at coachella. when im in the mood to see this kind of music live, i go to a show that is geared towards that type of music. i dont go on the forums and bitch that "oh LA Philharmonic should totally headline and play dvorak's 9th symphony in its entirety to close out the main stage, and beck's dad can be the conductor" because i know that it wouldn't really belong at coachella (as epic as it would be).

just go to bonnaroo. you dont seem to like coachella that much anyway

Neighborhood Creep
01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
just go to bonnaroo. you dont seem to like coachella that much anyway

Who doesn't like Coachella? It's a music festival, you putz. Variety Variety Variety. 1 name on the bill wouldn't hurt anyone.

Big G is dope live. Saw them for the first time over last summer.

Aikopua3
01-20-2013, 10:07 AM
I am a die hard Phish fan, see an average of 12 shows a year, with that said, I would rather not see them at Coachella. Trey Anastasio Band on the other hand would be welcome addition to line up and could see them pulling off a killer set on the outdoor stage. But it will never happen.

canexplain
01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
I am a die hard Phish fan, see an average of 12 shows a year, with that said, I would rather not see them at Coachella. Trey Anastasio Band on the other hand would be welcome addition to line up and could see them pulling off a killer set on the outdoor stage. But it will never happen.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/treyseg.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/trey1.jpg

cr****

thagorillaz
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
NO JAM AT COACH WHAT IS THIS THE EAST COAST NO ITS NOT GO THERE FOR THE JAM BANDS IF YOU WANT TO SEE JAM BANDS NOT HERE. NOHOW.

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Who's the jammest jam band on the bill this year?

fetuspiniata
02-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Who's the jammest jam band on the bill this year?

RHCP

nuclearstevem
02-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Not too many Jam Bands goin on this year folks. J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr has been known to go off from time to time. I've also heard the Peppers go for some long jams as well.

aTYZ9pBptJ0

Neighborhood Creep
02-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Peppers don't do shit but suck

nuclearstevem
02-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Peppers don't do shit but suck

I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing RHCP this year. I'm gonna be camped out at wherever Dead Can Dance is anyways on Sunday.

melting
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Papadosio for coachella would be amazing. Just a 50 minute set in the gobi. They are a really fun band.

DaFunkyPrecedent
02-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I really hope Coachella invite My Morning Jacket back to headline one day. I also think it would be a completely daring and bold move for them to have Phish headline one year as well. Good live music is good live music - straight up - and both these bands are on top of their game...way more than other fellow past and present Coachella headliners.

doubleUteeF
02-10-2013, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-fF23rlhc

While musical taste is extremely subjective (a fact that we all know), I think Umphrey's is unfairly thrown into the "Jamband" category. They are very different than the likes of WSP, Phish, Yonder, Mule, Grateful Dead, yadda yadda. A Lot of their music is similar to the likes of YES, Floyd, and King Crimson. Rarely do they noodle, and they can throw down some nasty ass metal. Just my 2 cents.

AgainstFeist
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM

seriously.

Umphreys would be awesome.I would love to see them on the Polo Fields.

Sensuality
02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
wash uffizi drive me to firenze

Les Playcool
02-11-2013, 07:50 AM
wash uffizi drive me to firenze

This guy gets it.

heart cooks brain
02-11-2013, 07:55 AM
I really hope Coachella invite My Morning Jacket back to headline one day. I also think it would be a completely daring and bold move for them to have Phish headline one year as well. Good live music is good live music - straight up - and both these bands are on top of their game...way more than other fellow past and present Coachella headliners.

i saw phish at bonnaroo, in their element, and it was meh. couple good songs, mostly filler.

canexplain
02-11-2013, 07:59 AM
i saw phish at bonnaroo, in their element, and it was meh. couple good songs, mostly filler.

Yea but it was raining and a bit chilly if I remember right. I was tripping so it sort of didn't matter. Phish were better on their own tour I think. They will never replace the Dead though even though they have tried and some p heads say surpassed. HCB, guess I'll catch you at a couple of shows eh....cr****

heart cooks brain
02-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Yea but it was raining and a bit chilly if I remember right. I was tripping so it sort of didn't matter. Phish were better on their own tour I think. They will never replace the Dead though even though they have tried and some p heads say surpassed. HCB, guess I'll catch you at a couple of shows eh....cr****

yeah, i didn't mind the rain or anything. i was tripping pretty hard too. so hard that when i went back to the bootleg to find the songs i did enjoy, they were gone. at one point during the second set, i said to my buddy, 'it feels like the music is coming from inside me.

Maybe it was.

santasutt
02-16-2013, 08:44 AM
This may be about the closest we get.....at least on Friday

http://youtu.be/5LFkPrdoYa8

PhoneWentWest
02-21-2013, 06:46 PM
So does anyone else think that Roo's lineup is kinda of a Coachella-esque lineup and not that jammy this year?