PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Cruise News - Missing Out or Not Coachella, Not Even Close

pdhow
12-18-2012, 01:37 PM
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/12/ss_coachella_cruise_pulp_day_one.php

I think this quote sums up the (Real) Coachella Festival experience many have mentioned over the years and a reason why I wish I had the money to go to Coachella Cruise.... "This ship can feel overwhelming -- one can never quite shake the sense that whatever you're doing, you're missing out on something more fun down the hall."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-ss-coachella-2012-day-2-20121218,0,4138620.story

SmellyBath
12-19-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/touring/backbeat-s-s-coachella-with-sleigh-bells-1008054652.story

pdhow
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
The Goldenvoice forum sounded interesting!

pdhow
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.spin.com/articles/ss-coachella-cruise-grimes-killer-mike-james-murphy

This article is really good and it gives us some (Real) Coachella Festival band confirmations and rumor dismissers.

pdhow
12-19-2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.spin.com/articles/ss-coachella-cruise-pulp-throws-grapes-black-lips-champion-shrimp

Oh and here's Day 1 of the Spin Coachella Cruise diary

Bumblebee
12-19-2012, 12:32 PM
The Goldenvoice forum sounded interesting!

Its hard to think of a question on the spot.

Id ask about indio set times and getting them a bit earlier.

RotationSlimWang
12-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Its hard to think of a question on the spot.

Id ask about indio set times and getting them a bit earlier.

What an insanely stupid question.

faxman75
12-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I thought the forum sounded like a snorfest unless you get off on hearing Paul T and others say they want The Smiths and David Bowie too. I mean, what information was actually learned from that masturbation session?

pdhow
12-19-2012, 03:47 PM
My interest lay in the fact that I enjoy narrative histories of events. Ive read a lot of the issues Coachella has had, rumored/desired headliners, and how it got started, etc in articles and such but to hear everything from the "horses mouth" would have been interesting.

xanman86
12-19-2012, 03:48 PM
We need another Coachella movie

jimmycrackcorn
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
We need another Coachella movie

Agreed

gaypalmsprings
12-19-2012, 04:37 PM
I love the blow up doll...swimming and taking in some sun...

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/photos/stylus//2665729-Party-People-Boat-scene-617.jpg

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/photos/stylus//2665819-Blowup-Doll-617.jpg

Bumblebee
12-19-2012, 05:20 PM
I thought the forum sounded like a snorfest unless you get off on hearing Paul T and others say they want The Smiths and David Bowie too. I mean, what information was actually learned from that masturbation session?

One of the articles references some details like how the cruise came about, PT confirmed 1 Coachella act, the AEG sale and festival headliner wishlists. I liked the line about wanted to book the naked Wizard for the cruise.

Bumblebee
12-19-2012, 05:27 PM
What an insanely stupid question.

GV made an off hand comment about Indio set-times about a decade ago and said nothing since.

Feel free to post your questions in this thread. Maybe someone can ask them on the 2nd cruise.

I wonder if they book "back-up" headliners or pay them to hold dates open for a certain period. Also ask if they made any headway in booking Smiths/Heads/Bowie. I'm curious how the conversation with Morrissey after his 2009 set went.

microcuts
12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
I wonder if they book "back-up" headliners

See: Portishead.

Bumblebee
12-19-2012, 09:28 PM
See: Portishead.

Tickets sales slumped before Prince.

I'm referring to "headliners" that hold dates, yet never appear on the final poster. For instance, RHCP could easily play 2013 if someone from Daft/Stones died tomorrow.

Coldplay could have played 2012 if you easily shifted around a couple dates.

pdhow
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.vice.com/read/we-went-on-the-coachella-cruise-we-sailed-the-seas-of-coachella

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-ss-coachella-cruise-20121220,0,6455818.story

http://www.spin.com/articles/ss-coachella-cruise-festival-james-murphy-black-lips

New articles to peruse. Sounds like CruiseChella=VIPChella ....and that's something I'd like to experience.....but only on a boat!!!!

http://youtu.be/avaSdC0QOUM

Mugwog
12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Tickets sales slumped before Prince.

I'm referring to "headliners" that hold dates, yet never appear on the final poster. For instance, RHCP could easily play 2013 if someone from Daft/Stones died tomorrow.

Coldplay could have played 2012 if you easily shifted around a couple dates.

Petition for board title to be: Budget Buzzer

xanman86
12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Still waiting for pics/footage that actually show this cruise as being fun -_-

Mugwog
12-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Gary fucking hired you didn't he.

ivankay
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
i've got a few thousand pictures to sort through. The cruise was awesome all the way through. If they do it again, i would love to be on it and would even consider the whole week. my only reservation would be exploding from the food. Drink package was in full abuse mode by most on board. The Bahamas part looked to only be filled to about half capacity, but the observation was made that the first Coachella was as well. my analogy that kept coming to mind is the cruise is like a deluxe box set. Not everyone's going to get it. It cost more. If you do, you going to be happy with all the gold you find in there that pertains to your taste. It was a lot like ATP in that we were all in the same place and encounters with the performers happened daily. Walking around the boat first day i went from scooting by Alexis from Hot Chip to Killer Mike and El P. After seeing Pulp and getting some food in the cafe, in walks Jarvis as we were walking out. Everyone was cool and happiness was contagious. The Silhouette like the Polo Fields was part of being the star of the event. The boat is glorious and everyone was pampered. Readjusting to reality is just as difficult as driving past the windmills on the way home in April. i wish i could have stayed for the Jamaica leg. Didn't see everything, but all i saw was excellent. Pulp, Yeasayer, El P, Killer Mike, Black Lips, Grimes, Could Nothings and ending with Girl Talk was perfect. i don't really think it will matter who they get to play if they do it next year, i'll be there.

Mugwog
12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
So how much pot was smuggled on board?

Miroir Noir
12-20-2012, 02:59 PM
The box set analogy works for me, because it would probably take an artist or two that I genuinely adore to get me to shell out the bucks.

algunz
12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
I just can't do a boat. :(

xanman86
12-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Mug - lol. I wish the compitition would settle down a bit between Hard and GV. My heart will always belong to Coachella.

Ivan- You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to your photos since I read that you were going! Glad to hear you had a blast!

ivankay
12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
So how much pot was smuggled on board?

Not sure. Didn't smell any, but heard people talk about their use. Discretion was in play where ever that was happening. i heard 3 people got removed (2 for drugs, 1 for ???). If you were getting it on the boat, that didn't seem to be a problem. Most of the boat was non smoking. Smoking on the verandas was not permitted because they didn't want people flicking ashes or their butts onto the decks below (who wants a fire on a boat? no one). If you can get edibles to Florida, that would be perfect.

I just can't do a boat. :(

Too bad. You and your man would love this. You could tell the boat was moving for a part of the trip, but other than that, smooth as glass.

Mug - lol. I wish the compitition would settle down a bit between Hard and GV. My heart will always belong to Coachella.

Ivan- You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to your photos since I read that you were going! Glad to hear you had a blast!

i was glad too. It exceeded my expectations. i'm going to try and limit myself to a 100 a day and have already begun the flagging.

algunz
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Too bad. You and your man would love this. You could tell the boat was moving for a part of the trip, but other than that, smooth as glass.

It's not the motion. It's the not being able to see land.

I'm fine with the motion in the ocean.

ivankay
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
The views of the ocean were wonderful. At night the stars were clear. You could get by on the boat without ever going outside if that helps.

Mugwog
12-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Not sure. Didn't smell any, but heard people talk about their use. Discretion was in play where ever that was happening. i heard 3 people got removed (2 for drugs, 1 for ???). If you were getting it on the boat, that didn't seem to be a problem. Most of the boat was non smoking. Smoking on the verandas was not permitted because they didn't want people flicking ashes or their butts onto the decks below (who wants a fire on a boat? no one). If you can get edibles to Florida, that would be perfect.

Good to know, seems like the best bet for smoking on cruises is booking a room that is at the back end of the cruise with a secluded patio. At least most cruises provides free pipes in the buffet areas (Apples)

How was the buffet food? I've been on Carnival and people from the midwest told me its the best food ever, when I went, I would respectfully disagree. Even with the "fancy" stateroom dinners. I hope they had a decent selection for the cruise, I would imagine vegan/pescetarian alternatives were available? This is an LA based cruise.

ivankay
12-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Food was amazing all the way through. we (my girl and i) loved having breakfast on our veranda. If you put in an order before 1AM, they would bring it to you whatever time you requested. If you forgot to do that, just order and it would be at your door 45 minutes later. The dining that was part of the package was great and we always ended up talking to the people sitting by us. Everyone was stoked to be there. we only did one of the specialty restaurants ($40 each) called QSine. It was a variety of styles in small portions, but of course you could get as much as you wanted. They were talked about primarily for their sushi lollipops, but we thought that was the least tasty thing we ate that night. When we talked about if we could handle 7 days, the reason we couldn't is from exploding from the food.

guedita
12-20-2012, 03:48 PM
How bad was the fedora situation? Preliminary reports from the Jamaica cruise have suggested high fedora rates on board.

ivankay
12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
i didn't see any, but the hipsters there just to party meant no one who wanted to see Pulp missed out. It was easy to avoid people on the boat, but comradery ruled over douchiness.

RumRunner
12-20-2012, 04:00 PM
I thought this cruise was amazing. I would shell the bucks out again for sure. It was my first Coachella (not by choice) but 11th cruise. Merging the two was perfect! All the food we had was excellent with lots of options for any palate or dietary choices. We tried main dining for dinner and brunch, buffet for dinner and breakfast and late night snacks, and Bistro on 5 (crepes) for lunch and everything was quite tasty. We wanted to try more, but out of time and tummy space. We bumped into and talked with many artists as they enjoyed their cruise and everyone was very friendly and respectful. We loved our aft veranda and just loving the views. I'm uploading my photos now and hope to get them posted somewhere soon.

ivankay
12-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Need to add the sonic excellence we expect from Coachella was in full effect. All the live shows sounded great. Music was everywhere.

guedita
12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
i didn't see any, but the hipsters there just to party meant no one who wanted to see Pulp missed out. It was easy to avoid people on the boat, but comradery ruled over douchiness.

BOO! HISS!

Courtney
12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
my analogy that kept coming to mind is the cruise is like a deluxe box set. Not everyone's going to get it. It cost more. If you do, you going to be happy with all the gold you find in there that pertains to your taste. It was a lot like ATP in that we were all in the same place and encounters with the performers happened daily. [...] Everyone was cool and happiness was contagious.

Really glad to hear this. I have to admit that my initial reaction to the idea of a Coachella cruise was "oh god that sounds miserable." Coachella festival attendees are generally treated like insignificant cattle in Indio with security's bad attitude and being shoved into enclosed spaces with poor planning for crowds and traffic flow, and the idea of being stuck on a boat with obnoxious spoiled Southern Californian teenagers was pretty much my nightmare.

Generally, it seems like it's a basic problem that a lot of companies encounter when they try to introduce line extensions into a market by making a "premium" product using an existing brand identity. The cruise is like a "Coachella Plus" in terms of pricing, lodging, food, location, etc etc. But they didn't really do anything to try to convince their potential customers that the experience would be superior to Indio, and thus why would I want to pay more? I hope that they can trust the music press, etc, to do a good job communicating the experience (as well word-of-mouth from first year attendees) so that next year sells better and they are able to continue to offer the cruise as an option.

ivankay
12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
^i suspects you would really enjoy.

BOO! HISS!

:)

RumRunner
12-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Good way to describe the vibe.

RumRunner
12-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Really glad to hear this. I have to admit that my initial reaction to the idea of a Coachella cruise was "oh god that sounds miserable." Coachella festival attendees are generally treated like insignificant cattle in Indio with security's bad attitude and being shoved into enclosed spaces with poor planning for crowds and traffic flow, and the idea of being stuck on a boat with obnoxious spoiled Southern Californian teenagers was pretty much my nightmare.

Generally, it seems like it's a basic problem that a lot of companies encounter when they try to introduce line extensions into a market by making a "premium" product using an existing brand identity. The cruise is like a "Coachella Plus" in terms of pricing, lodging, food, location, etc etc. But they didn't really do anything to try to convince their potential customers that the experience would be superior to Indio, and thus why would I want to pay more? I hope that they can trust the music press, etc, to do a good job communicating the experience (as well word-of-mouth from first year attendees) so that next year sells better and they are able to continue to offer the cruise as an option.

We happened to hang out quite a bit with a writer and photographer from Q Magazine from England who were impressed with the whole thing. I think they will be spreading a few good words across the pond. I'm hoping sales and the overall experience will help continue SS Coachella since I'd totally go again, but I also don't want it to get too much press and turn into an overcrowded thing that turns out to eventually be what your fears were.

joppy-slow
12-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Whose music were you most impressed with? Any fun covers ? How annoying was Grimes by the end of the cruise?

pdhow
12-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the first hand accounts. My wife really wanted to go and I talked her out of it for financial reasons and because I expected less of it....big mistake! It sounded really fun. I hope it can continue and then I can buy tix for my wife and I as a graduation present!!!

The boat rocking (motion of the ocean type way, not Pulp on stage) was another fear of mine because I got a little sick on a ferry to Cozumel one time but it sounds like that wasn't a problem.

All in all, any complaints???

ivankay
12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Whose music were you most impressed with? Any fun covers ? How annoying was Grimes by the end of the cruise?

Always impressed with Pulp, but from the first time acts, Cloud Nothings, Killer Mike, Grimes and biggest surprise was how fucking fun Girl Talk was. Didn't catch any covers unless you want to have that include the 90's mashup that was Girl Talk. Didn't see enough of Grimes to get sick of her, but she seemed cool.

Thanks for all the first hand accounts. My wife really wanted to go and I talked her out of it for financial reasons and because I expected less of it....big mistake! It sounded really fun. I hope it can continue and then I can buy tix for my wife and I as a graduation present!!!

The boat rocking (motion of the ocean type way, not Pulp on stage) was another fear of mine because I got a little sick on a ferry to Cozumel one time but it sounds like that wasn't a problem.

All in all, any complaints???

i heard one person who suffers from sea sickness talking to James Murphy about it after the wine tasting. She said she was struggling a bit, but was making it through.

Only complaints is too short, couldn't be everywhere at once and towards the end a lady who worked on the boat was a tiny bit crabby. i'll cut her some slack though because they never had to deal with a crowd like ours before.

kneuller
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
So many hipsters in sailor hats....the horror.

ShyGuy75
12-21-2012, 10:58 AM
sooooo girl talk ruled and nobody was smoking pot. sounds righteous

RumRunner
12-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I have to say my favorite act was !!!. Nic is hilarious. But everyone we saw was excellent. I felt as though the ship rocked very little compared to other cruises I have been on. And, yeah, toward the end there were a lot of peopel wearing their crafty sailor hats they made onboard. I have no complaints at all, but I did think it was wierd that there was no SS Coachella merch. I did take home a cocktail napkin, though. LOL We found the crew, for the most part, to be friendly and enjoy having a different kind of crowd on board. I did encounter several people smoking pot... next to our veranda, below our veranda, on the lawn, in another designated smoking area, and during Sleigh Bells. Where there's a will, there's a way.

algunz
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
It really does sound reminiscent of the first years on the polo fields.

Why does it have to be on a boat?

:(

ivankay
12-21-2012, 08:58 PM
This is pretty funny:

32 Reasons Why the S.S. Coachella is Way Better Than Regular Coachella (http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/32-reasons-why-the-ss-coachella-is-way-better-than)

timothyhockley
12-22-2012, 04:36 AM
what was the crowd like? mainly hipsters, bros or both?

RumRunner
12-22-2012, 07:32 AM
OMG the 32 reasons is so hilarious and true!

The crowd was a great mix of people. We saw people in their late 50's at the shows having fun, there were a few hipsters, there were regular people, there were a lot of industry people, there were the fashion show off people, there were the ones doing funky funny shit every night. I would have to say that the mix of people was just right and most of us were there just to enjoy the awesome music and that is what brought everyone together.

RotationSlimWang
12-22-2012, 07:35 AM
sooooo girl talk ruled and nobody was smoking pot. sounds righteous

Clear out some of your PMs, mofucka.

getbetter
12-23-2012, 08:22 AM
It was a drugboatchella.This guy was going around making bank by selling extra small dose of mdma in tiny white/green capsules.They didnt even search you going on the boat or coming back on the boat from Jamaica..I thought it was pretty crazy when you drunk and the boat started rocking a lot.Karoke was way better than Girl Talk imo.

Boourns
12-23-2012, 02:37 PM
The cruise out-ATPed ATP. That's all I can come up with at the moment. I never wanted to leave.

concertgoer
12-23-2012, 02:41 PM
How full was the theatre for Pulp?

Boourns
12-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Not completely. It never was.