PDA

View Full Version : Request to make weekend 1 and 2 different.

elliottb
12-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Just throwing this out there. I personally don't think weekend 1 and 2 need to be exact replicas. Last year all bands and DJ's were required to play the EXACT same sets, I think that's a little overkill. I don't mind if it's the same bands, but they should have the freedom to change their sets from weekend to weekend. That would really make things a little fresher and more exciting for weekend 2. If one weekend turns out to be a little better then the other, ohhh fucking well. I would even be open to a few different artists if it would mean we could get more rare acts that are only able to make it to one weekend. Agree or Flame. Peace.

werner12123
12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
False. For one, Radiohead played some different songs. Look it up.

elliottb
12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I didn't know that, I remember reading an interview that stated all bands were required to play the same sets. I think it was an interview with a DJ that said he wanted to do two different sets but GV wouldn't let him

elliottb
12-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Even if Radiohead played a few different songs, most bands replicated the same show as required by GV.

ENluv12
12-05-2012, 07:54 AM
:troll

elliottb
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
:troll

Ok let's make it exsactly the same because we are a bunch a down syndrome people that can't handle anything else. Go kill yourself on a bed of dicks

Mugwog
12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I'd imagine more pleasure from a bed made of dicks rather than pain. But then again I'm a slut.

n3glect
12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm sure that it was one of the swedish house mafia guys that wanted to have some excuse for using the same pre-recorded memory stick for both weekends.

elliottb
12-05-2012, 08:31 AM
If GV had a little more flexibility with not having to completely duplicate the line-ups I imagine more rare acts like Underworld, basement jaxx, Kraftwerk, that we want signing on. I'm sure everyone would rather share artists like that between weekends that not have them at all either weekend.

nathanfairchild
12-05-2012, 08:34 AM
why do you give a fuck? are you going to both weekends? if you are then you're basically asking GV to change things to make it more enjoyable for you. don't be so fucking selfish.

elliottb
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm only going to one weekend actually.

nathanfairchild
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
then i go back to my first question: why do you give a fuck?

Mugwog
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
why do you give a fuck, nathan?

heart cooks brain
12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
why does anyone give a fuck about anything?

Chaos.

according to st vincent gv 'suggested' that bands play the same set but it was confusing and whatsername did whatever she wanted.

elliottb
12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
And I give a shit because I'm sure the strangle hold of needing to duplicate line-ups is a reason we had the Black Keys headlining last year and artists such as Mike Snow being so high up in the bill. Keeping in mind I know shit about shit with booking artists. But it seems logical.

Drewski27
12-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Each weekend was different fucktard. you would know this if you were at both weekends, like I was. Bands usually stick to more or less the same set of songs when they are on tour, so if you want each weekend to be different go talk to the bands, not Goldenvoice/Coachella. And again, if you're not going to both weekends, why are you bitching about this. It's a pretty moot point.

guedita
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Maybe the weather could be different both weekends though

elliottb
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't necessarily want/need the weekends to be different. I just like the idea of GV having the freedom to add different artists on both weekends allowing more rare acts a chance to play that otherwise couldn't. Also giving the bands the freedom to change things up as well. According to you artists did play different sets, so I stand corrected on that.

elliottb
12-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Maybe the weather could be different both weekends though

Easy Cara!

heart cooks brain
12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
the two weekend thing makes it financially feasible for #rare acts to play the festival.

2012 was full of #rare

guedita
12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Drummers could wear a different shirt on weekend 2.

Bassists maybe different pants or something.

werner12123
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Wait, yeah! The two weekends' sets were different. It just depended on which act you were seeing. Guest appearances for one: The Black Keys had John Fogerty weekend 2 only. Thom Yorke only came out with Modeselektor one of the weekends. Those are the only two examples off the top of my head, but there were more. And yeah, what Drewski said. Certain bands *cough* Arctic Monkeys *cough* play the exact same set every night of the tour, regardless of the venue/festival/promoter.

Courtney
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CF0QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww9.georgetown.edu%2Ffaculty%2Fi rvinem%2Ftheory%2Fbaudrillard-simulacra_and_simulation.pdf&ei=Toq_UJWnIKTziQLorYDgBg&usg=AFQjCNF3tmG2u_KsDd62bce0cvB3AV-3TA&sig2=r6tJwitDHCD6Ga-8XHyrnA

elliottb
12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Alright alright, it seems like I'm wrong with this. Everyone get hard-ons now and ensue belittling/degrading comments below. Hopefully more from Guedita.

frizzlefry
12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Annie Clark sang with Andrew Bird weekend two. Rocha sang with DJ Shadow only on one weekend. People attending weekend two didn't have to deal with your bullshit.

ENluv12
12-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Ok let's make it exsactly the same because we are a bunch a down syndrome people that can't handle anything else. Go kill yourself on a bed of dicks

Oh OUCH! That hurt SO bad. A BED OF DICKS!

themonstermash
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Really stupid idea.

Your basically saying it would be cool for weekend one to have a rare act such as sigur ros or apparat playing, but for weekend two in their position it could be two totally different bands such as bloc party or yeasayer to replace them. All this just to make the 2nd weekend more 'fresh'.

I don't know about you but I'd be more pissed off than anything knowing that the weekend I chose to attend might be missing some of the bands I would've been most excited to see. I'm fine with Coachella being a complete replica both weekends and if I were to attend both weekends, why the fuck would I try and replicate my first weekend experience by seeing the same bands, how boring do you think people are?

Really stupid thread.

kneuller
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
You're an idiot! Before you make a bold claim like GV forces every band to play the same setlist, you probably should have just googled a few artists to see if maybe this was even remotely true. Check out http://www.setlist.fm I think it could be of some use to you.

I would have loved to be at week 2 last year when A$AP brought out Master P. That would have been a fun throwback for a late 90s rap lover.

amyzzz
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Annie Clark sang with Andrew Bird weekend two. Rocha sang with DJ Shadow only on one weekend. People attending weekend two didn't have to deal with your bullshit.Thom Yorke sang on Modeselektor's set weekend 2. Or he was there. or something.

fibes
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
This thread might as well read "why doesn't GV put on two completely different festivals". The entire point of two weekend deal was because of demand. This thread makes no sense. Furthermore I can find zero evidence artists were even advised to play the same set list. Why are the set lists so similar? Its called a touring show, sad to say if you follow a band normally 90% of the show is the same week to week..generally..

If you want two different weekends from GV go to weekend 2 of coachella and stagecoach.

alyssaf12
12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Drummers could wear a different shirt on weekend 2.

Bassists maybe different pants or something.

MAYBE. But it's highly unlikely they would.

GuyInTucson
12-05-2012, 04:27 PM
The grass will be green weekend one.

Dead for weekend two.

elliottb
12-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Really stupid idea.

Your basically saying it would be cool for weekend one to have a rare act such as sigur ros or apparat playing, but for weekend two in their position it could be two totally different bands such as bloc party or yeasayer to replace them. All this just to make the 2nd weekend more 'fresh'.

I don't know about you but I'd be more pissed off than anything knowing that the weekend I chose to attend might be missing some of the bands I would've been most excited to see. I'm fine with Coachella being a complete replica both weekends and if I were to attend both weekends, why the fuck would I try and replicate my first weekend experience by seeing the same bands, how boring do you think people are?

Really stupid thread.

The whole point I was trying to make was that each weekend would have rare acts of their own that wouldn't be able to play coachella 2 weeks in a row otherwise. I was just curious about everyone's opinions about it, you all make good points and it's probably a bad idea.

Also I realize I am completely wrong about artists changing up their set-list from weekend 1 and 2 last year.

elliottb
12-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Really stupid idea.

Really stupid thread.

But I also don't think it's a "Bad Idea". I'm sure there are a few acts you wish you could have from Bonaroo last year, but you didn't care because we had our own rare acts like year such as ATDI and Mazzy Star. I don't see how changing a few acts between weekend 1 and 2 would be any different. Sure maybe one weekend might be slightly better based on your own personally taste but that's life. And if you felt that strongly then you could always just sell your ticket and go to the other weekend.

M Sparks
12-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Also I realize I am completely wrong about artists changing up their set-list from weekend 1 and 2 last year.

Prove it!

concertgoer
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Almost no one waits to book their hotel- housing plans for Coachella until the lineup comes out so that is another reason why this is such a stupid idea.

guedita
12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
But I also don't think it's a "Bad Idea". I'm sure there are a few acts you wish you could have from Bonaroo last year, but you didn't care because we had our own rare acts like year such as ATDI and Mazzy Star. I don't see how changing a few acts between weekend 1 and 2 would be any different. Sure maybe one weekend might be slightly better based on your own personally taste but that's life. And if you felt that strongly then you could always just sell your ticket and go to the other weekend.

That's life.