PDA

View Full Version : XTC reunion

hard4men
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Andy and Collin are still amazing

TomAz
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Except Andy has said, publicly, within the past 2 years or so, that he will never work with Dave or Colin again and that he imagines they have similar sentiments about him and each other.

TomAz
11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
but while we're here...

SyX75NpibdU

grichsgang
11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for pooping on that one, Tom. But I'd love to see this happen, far-fetched as it may be. I'd be "making plans."

scenicworld
11-29-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd also love for this to happen, but like Tom said, it's a long shot.

Bumblebee
11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Couldn't they make more in 10 gigs than they made in the past 35 years?

algunz
11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Where's Bug?

Pee Wee Herman's Hermits
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Dear God, this would be nice

ocbruin84
11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Making Plans 4 April?

algunz
11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for Christmas,
Thank you for the love and happiness that's snowing down,
All around.

Thanks for Christmas,
Thank you for the winter friendliness that's snowing down,
All around the world.

It's nearer,
Children's eyes shine clearer now,
As they decorate the trees,
All across the seven seas.

It's nearer,
Yule log fires burn clearer now,
In the winter's frosty air,
Sing with us and we can share our...

Thanks for Christmas,
All around.

Thanks for Christmas,
All around the world.

It's dawning,
Santa's reindeer yawning now,
All their festive work is done,
Filling houses up with fun.

It's dawning,
Here is Christmas morning now,
Greatest day of all the year,
Listen out and you will hear our...

Thanks for Christmas,
All around.

Thanks for Christmas,
All around the world.

It's such a shame it's only one day every year,
Three hundred and sixty-four days full of doubts and fear
You've been saving your love up,
Let it out,
'Cause Christmas is here.

Thanks for Christmas,
All around.

Thanks for Christmas,
All around the world.

santasutt
11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Have they played live since this?

http://youtu.be/00ELxYWgXmQ?

M Sparks
11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
^Doubtful, and that was probably just because Andy didn't have to sing lead. They haven't played in front of a real audience since 1982. You'd be more likely to get a full Talking Heads AND Smiths reunion.

zircona1
11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Also, Andy's got stage fright (either that or he hates touring) and bad tinnitus.

nbvcide
11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Dear God, this would be nice

pun intended?

this would be awesome, and GV has pulled off plenty of reunions where they said it would never happen or that they have no interest playing together anymore..

Bumblebee
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Also, Andy's got stage fright (either that or he hates touring) and bad tinnitus.

Jeff Beck and Pete Townshend still play loud guitar after wicket bouts of tinnitus. There are theraputic means to make the ringing go away.

As for stage fright, Brian Wilson, Streisand and Roky Erikson didn't tour for decades.

The two things i can't figure out is why Colin hasn't toured the XTC material and whether or not they lived a comfortable lifestyle just from record sales.

nbvcide
11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
i doubt the royalties from the xtc back catalog is bringing in piles of cash..

algunz
11-30-2012, 04:28 PM
There was a report on NPR the other day about tinnitus that was the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Having that constantly would suck!

Bumblebee
11-30-2012, 04:30 PM
i doubt the royalties from the xtc back catalog is bringing in piles of cash..

If they own everything and invested well they might be ok. Don't think that happened.

M Sparks
12-01-2012, 06:07 PM

He was addicted to Valium and his wife threw out his pills. He freaked out, walked off one show and refused to go on stage for the next one, and hasn't played a real show since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrCL1aF_Zg

I had never heard the tinnitus thing before, I thought you had him mixed up with Danny Elfman. (Who, coincidentally, was opening the show he didn't show up for.) Found a bunch of articles from around 2007 that said he had a "studio accident" in 2006 and that he was using some kind of "reverse hearing aid" that was supposed to cure it.

fatbastard
12-02-2012, 06:28 AM
I could use a reverse hearing aid after listening to this thread in my head.

zircona1
12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Found a bunch of articles from around 2007 that said he had a "studio accident" in 2006 and that he was using some kind of "reverse hearing aid" that was supposed to cure it.

Yea, I was basing that claim off of an interview he gave a few years ago where he got a blast of sound by accident in the studio.

shoegazer76
12-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I can remember an interview back in the early 90's where Andy more or less says he will not play live because of his extreme stage fright. I would assume Coachella is no exception. To look out into that sea of people would be hell for him.

menikmati
12-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I've always heard the stage fright thing too...then again, for a long time I use to hear that Jeff Mangum hated giant crowds and would never play....

shoegazer76
12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
In addition to his stage fright he also made it sound as though every aspect of playing live didnt appeal to him. He said something to the effect of not wanting to appear as being a sweaty gorilla prancing around on stage.