PDA

View Full Version : Indie Dance, Indie Electronic, and Nu Disco... PLEASE?!

WallflowerFood.com
11-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Can we PLEASE get some more indie dance/electronic and nu disco acts? Let's replace some of the same DJs that everyone has heard of for the past 3 years with some live electronic music that will actually blow people's minds. Let's get some nu disco acts for people who want to dance to electronic music and not rave to it. Let's get some electronic acts that are changing the game. Not doing the same old stuff.

Here's some acts that I think would put next year's lineup over the top. I just named some that I think might be big enough or good enough. Some have already played at Coachella as well, but I didn't really name anyone that played in 2012/2011. Genre's are pretty meaningless here, but I tried...

Nu Disco

Dance

Electronic Pop/Band

Chill Wave/Dream Pop/Garage/Other

Aeroplane, Amtrac, Chordashian, Chris Malinchak, Classixx, Gigamesh, Goldroom, Justin Faust, Le Youth, Louis La Roche, The Magician, Moon Boots, Moullinex, Oliver, Penguin Prison, Plastic Plates, Poolside, Tensnake, Tiger & Woods, Todd Terje, Treasure Fingers, Viceroy
The Aston Shuffle, Benoit and Sergio, Bag Raiders (Live), Fred Falke, Digitalism (Live) , Flight Facilities, The Knocks (Live), Lemaitre, Lenno, Moonlight Matters, RAC, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Yuksek (Live)

Black Light Dinner Party, Cadillac, Capital Cities, Cherub, Clubfeet, Empire Youth, Friendly Fires, Gemini Club, Holy Ghost, Hot Chip , Is Tropical, Kamp!, LexiconDon, Mansions on the Moon, Miami Horror, Mitzi, Niki and the Dove, Panama, Picture Book, Polaris at Noon, Rufus, Soulwax, Starfucker/Pyramids, St. Lucia, Toro Y Moi, Twin Shadow, Urban Cone, Van She, Work Drugs

Alunageorge, Astronauts, etc., Blackbird Blackbird, Bondax, Chad Valley, Com Truise, Disclosure, Flume, Giraffage, Gold Panda, John Talabot, Labyrinth Ear, Lapalux, Grimes, Purity Ring, SOHN, Shlohmo, Stumbleine, Star Slinger, Teen Daze, Tourist, Wild Nothing, Washed Out

What do you guys think?
Anyone support this? Why or why not?
Who would you like to see?

NTellier85
11-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I fully support the addition of the following:

Aeroplane
Classixx
Penguin Prison
Bag Raiders (Live)
Flight Facilities
T.E.E.D.
Cherub
Friendly Fires
Hot Chip
Miami Horror
St. Lucia
Disclosure
Flume
Purity Ring
Washed Out

Coachella Bound
11-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Jacques Renault
Weekend Express
Social Disco Club
Francis Inferno Orchestra
Storm Queen

not sure why you have SOULWAX under the 'electronic pop' catagory.....

WallflowerFood.com
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Jacques Renault
Weekend Express
Social Disco Club
Francis Inferno Orchestra
Storm Queen

not sure why you have SOULWAX under the 'electronic pop' catagory.....

Yeah. I changed the name to Electronic Pop/Band. These artists are hard to categorize sometimes...

dank bud ftw
11-10-2012, 04:05 PM
signed

bobchella
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Tensnake plz

mikey1313666
11-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Disclosure
RAC
Viceroy
Gigamesh
Flume
Bondax (Do Lab?)

would be so great.

WallflowerFood.com
11-10-2012, 04:41 PM
St. Lucia is really a great example. They've been killing it ever since their introduction of a live show.

http://youtu.be/0xNUiAUwz_Q

http://youtu.be/Tvy_3W3IWy8

Undies
11-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Okey-Dokey

SoulDischarge
11-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I would have preferred a Venn diagram as clearly some of these acts have crossover appeal.

ET MB 90266
11-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I fully support the addition of the following:

Aeroplane
Classixx
Penguin Prison
Bag Raiders (Live)
Flight Facilities
T.E.E.D.
Cherub
Friendly Fires
Hot Chip
Miami Horror
St. Lucia
Disclosure
Flume
Purity Ring
Washed Out

I support all of these 110%. Would love to see Flume especially!

cash881
11-10-2012, 07:37 PM
You've got a pretty strong list, and I'm guessing that a handful of those people will be on the lineup. I would love to see some live instruments brought back to The Sahara.

CrimesceneCookie
11-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I like everyone on your list I'm familiar with, so I'm going to pretend like I know all of them and congratulate you on your taste.

surferalby77
11-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Crystal Castles

moustache
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Todd Terje please..

VOLVOX17
11-10-2012, 11:46 PM
T.E.E.D. and Holy Ghost! please

WallflowerFood.com
11-11-2012, 10:25 AM
You've got a pretty strong list, and I'm guessing that a handful of those people will be on the lineup. I would love to see some live instruments brought back to The Sahara.

Me too! I just don't see them doing it this year. I feel as if we have at least one, possibly two, more years of The Sahara being exactly like it was in 11'/12'

DFrank
11-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Good list. Majority of these would more likely be in the Mojave...some on the Outdoor.

themonstermash
11-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Really solid list. Would not be surprised if the bulk of it is on the lineup.

Especially keen to see stuff like com truise, shlomo, chad valley and disclosure. FRESH

GuyInTucson
11-11-2012, 02:11 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm115351121/heartbeats-grum-cd-cover-art.jpg

GuyInTucson
11-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Crystal Castles

Good suggestion. We need something new / different for Coachella. Crystal Castles fits perfectly.

mikey1313666
11-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Good suggestion. We need something new / different for Coachella. Crystal Castles fits perfectly.

ha. seriously doe. enough is enough

thizzin my brains out
11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
your chart confuses.

kneuller
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Digitalism would be excellent

PrettyVacant
11-11-2012, 08:07 PM
STARFUCKER.

NTuygg7TD6U

gswhooper
11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_OlUP0AWBo

bemerritt
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Digitalism would be excellent

Only if it is a live set.

n3glect
11-11-2012, 10:55 PM
KAMP! are excellent live and would get the Gobi moving. This needs to happen.

WallflowerFood.com
11-12-2012, 02:43 AM

Completely agree. Same with Bag Raiders, and Miami Horror. If you can do it live, why would you do it any way else?

kneuller
11-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Agreed. Saw them do the live thing on the HARD Summer tour last year and was blown away.

CheeseMau5
11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Huge yes to: Todd Terje, Disclosure, Moon Boots, T.E.E.D., Soul Wax, John Talabot.

Flume, Com Truise, Aeroplane, Purity Ring, Wild Nothing, The Magician, Amtrac, Chris Malinchak, Clasixx would also be cool.

Thisismyname
11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
So this is just another wishlist thread disguised as a "genre" right?

Either way, I do support most of these acts being on the lineup.

Mr. Porter
11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Night Slugs and LuckyMe

nbvcide
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Twin Shadow
Glass Candy
Royksopp

CrimesceneCookie
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't know anything about Nu-Disco, but the internet tells me this new Lindstrom album I'm enjoying is Nu-Disco, so I could very much see myself getting down to him on the Polo.

GuyInTucson
11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrnO56FMvVY

GuyInTucson
11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRXuuyv7izs

GuyInTucson
11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
In case you can't tell, I'd like to see Grum on the lineup because Grum is fucking awesome.

SoulDischarge
11-13-2012, 03:45 AM
I don't know anything about Nu-Disco, but the internet tells me this new Lindstrom album I'm enjoying is Nu-Disco, so I could very much see myself getting down to him on the Polo.

Is this your first exposure to Lindstrom?

Iamwelting
11-13-2012, 04:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqSz00ydVU&feature=relmfu

WallflowerFood.com
11-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes Grum (new album on it's way). Yes Lindstrom (new album is awesome). Yes Body Language (been playing a lot recently).

cash881
11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Me too! I just don't see them doing it this year. I feel as if we have at least one, possibly two, more years of The Sahara being exactly like it was in 11'/12'

I actually think that the Sahara has a good chance of being a lot more diverse this year than last. '11 had a bit of variety (Sven Vath, Erick Morillo, Shpongle, Sasha). I think that the reason for the lack of diversity last year is that GV wanted to ensure they would sell out 2 weekends, so they brought in a bunch of really big names that they knew would move tickets. I think this year we will still see a lot of those big names, but they don't have any fear of not selling out both weekends so they will bring back in some different stuff.

Unfortunately, I also don't think we'll be seeing live instruments back in there. To the best of my knowledge, other than MODESELEKTOR, all of the dance acts that played in the Mojave the past few years have performed with live instruments. I think that this is as much for logistics as it is because the music is stylistically different than what has been in the Sahara. Recently, almost every act that plays after sunset has their own fancy light set up. It is probably way easier for the people working the stage to know that even though they'll have to load and unload all of these different light rigs, they won't have to worry about anything else except for whatever equipment these people are using to DJ, so anyone with live instruments gets sent over to the Mojave to keep things running smoothly.

CrimesceneCookie
11-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Is this your first exposure to Lindstrom?

I think so... don't tell me we actually saw him together already?

Dave tells me he thinks he's already played Coachella.

NTellier85
11-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Damn, thanks to this thread I became familiar with Grum. Loving this!

SoulDischarge
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I think so... don't tell me we actually saw him together already?

Dave tells me he thinks he's already played Coachella.

Nah, but he's been rather prominent for like 5 years now. What I've heard from the new album feels kind of like a watered down version of his stuff. Not that that should stop you from liking it, just that you should really check out Where You Go I Go Too and It's a Feedility Affair. I don't think he's played Coachella, but I could be wrong. He's well due though.

CrimesceneCookie
11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah I'm not as up as I should be, I sometimes don't bother listening to new music until I'm absolutely bored with my current playlist.
I'll check the others out. As far as Smalhans, I like Ra-ako-St, Faar-I-Kaal and the closer Va-Fle-R... the rest I'm a little iffy on. But it's Va-Fle-R that brings back the memories. In my opinion this is similar to what trance was like in the early 90s before it got cheesed out.

semery526
11-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Damn, thanks to this thread I became familiar with Grum. Loving this!

Grum. Awful name. Amazing sound.

GuyInTucson
11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Give Grum the Breakbot slot in the Sahara. I would be there. Pretty fucking cheesy stuff at times, but I can't help but want to dance to the majority of his music. His remix of David Bowie's "fashion" is great.

GuyInTucson
11-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I think Drinkey could contribute some good, quality suggestions in this thread.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-13-2012, 04:12 PM
I do have suggestions!

here are some recent acts that would be fucking awesome in the Gobi, kind of all over the place genre-wise:

Beat Connection
UB96k0MTWQQ

Dream Cop
_WljurTKv08

brothertiger
mRwX-kMUfEg

Baths (who should have some really interesting full band stuff in 2013)
tVTrZjY2K5I

Light Asylum
khvJQpy0SsQ

I can contribute more later

Ross1492
11-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Light Asylum would be great for a night set in the Gobi. As would Trust ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q5jNtarqQI

NTellier85
11-13-2012, 05:19 PM
God PLEASE bring Trust to Coachella! Their set at Moogfest was a giant sweaty dance party! And that album of theirs is too good.

WallflowerFood.com
11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
I actually think that the Sahara has a good chance of being a lot more diverse this year than last. '11 had a bit of variety (Sven Vath, Erick Morillo, Shpongle, Sasha). I think that the reason for the lack of diversity last year is that GV wanted to ensure they would sell out 2 weekends, so they brought in a bunch of really big names that they knew would move tickets. I think this year we will still see a lot of those big names, but they don't have any fear of not selling out both weekends so they will bring back in some different stuff.

Unfortunately, I also don't think we'll be seeing live instruments back in there. To the best of my knowledge, other than MODESELEKTOR, all of the dance acts that played in the Mojave the past few years have performed with live instruments. I think that this is as much for logistics as it is because the music is stylistically different than what has been in the Sahara. Recently, almost every act that plays after sunset has their own fancy light set up. It is probably way easier for the people working the stage to know that even though they'll have to load and unload all of these different light rigs, they won't have to worry about anything else except for whatever equipment these people are using to DJ, so anyone with live instruments gets sent over to the Mojave to keep things running smoothly.

Good points, I hope you're right about the Sahara Tent. It was pretty brutal last year even coming from someone who doesn't mind a little house here and there. It seemed like such an outlier compared to the rest of the whole "experience" in 2012.

Makes sense about the Mojave. A Live setup vs. a DJ setup probably makes for a completely different stage.

blueduck
11-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Com Truise
Miami Horror

Deegleberry
11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Com Truise
Miami Horror

Please God no Com Truise.

And if that request is for Miami Horror DJ set then God no to that as well.

Easily the two worst performances I have seenin 2012 are those two

CrimesceneCookie
11-14-2012, 10:40 AM
That's the second time I've heard Com Truise is bad live. What specifically was bad about it?

guedita
11-14-2012, 11:21 AM
That's the second time I've heard Com Truise is bad live. What specifically was bad about it?

Bland, flat, uninteresting. I don't know why seeing him once irritated me SO much. But it did.

Deegleberry
11-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Bland, flat, uninteresting. I don't know why seeing him once irritated me SO much. But it did.

All of these, and his show seemed like it had no flow. Really long breaks between songs, never really went anywhere. I might even say it was lacking effort.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-14-2012, 11:57 AM
OH I just remembered that Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt really should play Coachella.

This looks so fun
cSFG0FRIyHs

WallflowerFood.com
11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Please God no Com Truise.

And if that request is for Miami Horror DJ set then God no to that as well.

Easily the two worst performances I have seenin 2012 are those two

Miami Horror, Bag Raiders, Digitalism, and all the other electronic band acts should not be playing DJ sets at festivals. It's like buying a ticket to Coachella and then staying home and watching it on Youtube. A potentially awesome time thrown away in favor of something very average. It's just not the same.

Deegleberry
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Miami Horror, Bag Raiders, Digitalism, and all the other electronic band acts should not be playing DJ sets at festivals. It's like buying a ticket to Coachella and then staying home and watching it on Youtube. A potentially awesome time thrown away in favor of something very average. It's just not the same.

Agreed. Miami Horror, however, seems to think they can DJ now. I'm hoping they get tired of it really quick and pick the instruments back up.

semery526
11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Agreed. Miami Horror, however, seems to think they can DJ now. I'm hoping they get tired of it really quick and pick the instruments back up.

I blame Calvin Harris. He created disco live in the gobi and then destroyed it four years later in the sahara with rihanna.

Before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jnctjDKVW8

After

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA87mC6YAMI

SoulDischarge
11-14-2012, 04:10 PM

He seemed fine at DEMF last year though.

NTellier85
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
This new Flume album is fantastic!

http://open.spotify.com/album/0vmUAUTdtyYj8wIl11qdhE

moustache
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Maxxi Soundsystem

Miguel Campbell

Iamwelting
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Is it too soon for Chromeo to come back? They're just so fucking good live.

chiapet
11-15-2012, 10:03 PM

He seemed fine at DEMF last year though.

You've seen him twice, and he was fine at DEMF.

I'll admit he was TERRIBLE in SF though.

Ray del Mundo
11-16-2012, 02:16 PM

I also know nothing about nu-disco, but based on your comment, I've been listening to the new Lindstrom album and some of his older stuff, all day and loving it! So thank you. I too would very much enjoy checking this out at the Polo Fields. So, is Madeon considered nu-disco? Because his stuff sounds kind of similar and I also enjoy it and enjoyed his set last year.

GuyInTucson
11-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Madeon is closer to cheese electro than Nu-Disco but he does play some nu-disco in his set.

anonimouse
11-16-2012, 08:43 PM
SUPPORT. dubstep has its place but i REALLY miss some of the wub free dancey good time sets we used to have more of.

I blame Calvin Harris. He created disco live in the gobi and then destroyed it four years later in the sahara with rihanna.

i still cant believe this. dude goes from unique live dance party good times act to yet another generic just press play dj (albeit with low self esteem). yes, the crowd in the vid is eating it up but lets not forget this is the same crowd that thought araabmuzik was nero just because he played a clip from "promises", true story bruh

semery526
11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Is it too soon for Chromeo to come back? They're just so fucking good live.

I hope not. Their new album should be out next spring/summer

bonerfromgrowingpains
11-16-2012, 11:42 PM
fuck it....

runaway
beg to differ
bicep
jacques renault
tiki disco
eli escobar
oneauff
cosmic kids
body language
sensual harassment
DUST
tiger & woods
rub n tug
still going
woolfy
azari & III
tim sweeney
poolside
tanlines
blondes
lemonade
kim ann foxman
dj spun
populette
justin strauss
a 9 hour dj harvey set in the dome

stinkbutt
11-16-2012, 11:45 PM
kK4zLAAySMs

bonerfromgrowingpains
11-16-2012, 11:54 PM
my first "lulz" you da man stink

NTellier85
11-17-2012, 04:11 AM
fuck it....

runaway
beg to differ
bicep
jacques renault
tiki disco
eli escobar
oneauff
cosmic kids
body language
sensual harassment
DUST
tiger & woods
rub n tug
still going
woolfy
azari & III
tim sweeney
poolside
tanlines
blondes
lemonade
kim ann foxman
dj spun
populette
justin strauss

havent heard of a single artist in this list other than Tanlines and Blondes, both of which I saw live in 2012 and completely approve of for Coachella!

EDIT: I missed Body Language, they also get my approval.

Electrotek
11-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Rather have some of the more banging funky filtered disco house personally.

Timestretch
11-17-2012, 11:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54nmUccYv-Y&feature=related

Coachella Bound
11-18-2012, 10:28 AM
fuck it....

runaway
beg to differ
bicep
jacques renault
tiki disco
eli escobar
oneauff
cosmic kids
body language
sensual harassment
DUST
tiger & woods
rub n tug
still going
woolfy
azari & III
tim sweeney
poolside
tanlines
blondes
lemonade
kim ann foxman
dj spun
populette
justin strauss

c3fUvsdj3KU

ACZ6G3fJvKs

xZRYnUcYfHY

Qa9BQtMbCyc

mjDJjf5oH7c

nbvcide
11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
fuck it....

runaway
beg to differ
bicep
jacques renault
tiki disco
eli escobar
oneauff
cosmic kids
body language
sensual harassment
DUST
tiger & woods
rub n tug
still going
woolfy
azari & III
tim sweeney
poolside
tanlines
blondes
lemonade
kim ann foxman
dj spun
populette
justin strauss

i'd be SHOCKED if Azari & III or DJ Harvey don't end up on the lineup..

LalalalaLa
11-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Hoping to see Mumbai Science on the bill....put out constant bangers the past few years.

Deegleberry
11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Hoping to see Mumbai Science on the bill....put out constant bangers the past few years.

Although I would definitely see Mumbai Science if they were at Coachella, they certainly have no place in this thread.

WallflowerFood.com
11-21-2012, 12:03 PM
These Aussies might be much too poppy for a lot of you, but I wanted to post their latest single because it's very much an indie/dance track. Big house synths from a band. Album due in 2013, I'd definitely be down to check them out if they were at Coachella.

http://youtu.be/aKkOF3SBCX8

malcolmjamalawesome
11-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Could you guys please try to put these suggestions in OP's chart from now on?

SmellyBath
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
The New Division - Kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q6Hr15ury5M

PlayaDelWes
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Could you guys please try to put these suggestions in OP's chart from now on?
Y/W

http://oi47.tinypic.com/34ffod0.jpg

wawabugga
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM
http://oi47.tinypic.com/34ffod0.jpg

I love this, but can you make it so the names don't get split up and jumbled around in it??

Deegleberry
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
This thread needs some love for Perseus. Amazing EP release in 2012 and just did the first EM of 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pfbjr

AeroplaneJunkie
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
can we get Burial and Andy Stott at coachella? those two would both have better electronic sets than anybody has had in a while at coachella (except maybe sbtrkt last year, i didn't see how it was)

ayejayem
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I really hope Bag Raiders(live) and LeMaitre (probably a dj set) come down for Coachella this year. They're one of my most anticipated acts to be on that poster and I hope GV doesn't forget about them after booking the Hardwell's and Deadmau5's of the world, but I just don't think Goldenvoice can say no to all the press opportunities/exposure that come with having Rihanna and Usher (ugh, I can pass on David Guetta at coachella), etc coming to perform a song or two of a collab. That just might be the pessimist jaded person in me, but I will seriously be overjoyed if Bag Raiders, LeMaitre, or anyone if those acts above show up.

Zero23
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
can we get Burial and Andy Stott at coachella? those two would both have better electronic sets than anybody has had in a while at coachella (except maybe sbtrkt last year, i didn't see how it was)

As far as I know, Burial doesn't do live shows.

miraj
01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Burial would still be amazing.

NachoCat
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Jg5YQjuOs

kucky21
01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
^ Dig this track. I have had it stuck in my head all afternoon

Danny
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
All this kind of music is what i think of first when i think of Coachella - some of my fav sets have been the likes of SBTRKT, Cut Copy, Delorean, Phantogram etc

insbordnat
01-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Dig that Him Self Her track. Also support Mumbai Science, Azari & III, Tiger & Woods.

Howabout fucking Classixx? I'm surprised they haven't gotten even an early slot*

*edit: on a proper stage and not just in the Heineken Tent

SepaGroove
01-12-2013, 04:16 PM

This is some good shit.

Deegleberry
01-12-2013, 04:24 PM

This was easily one of my favorite tracks from 2012. So nice.

Sensuality
01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
You're crazy man. You're crazy. I like you... But you're crazy.

cjamesgo8421
01-18-2013, 10:42 PM
YES to ALL

1234FIF
01-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Slow Magic would be most excellent.