PDA

View Full Version : METZ

sonofhal
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
They just destroyed my ears. You should let them destroy yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGDNbT4CSE

bmack86
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
How long was their set? I'm wondering if it's worth going to a headlining set, or if I'd be just as well served by seeing them with Ceremony and Titus Andronicus.

TallGuyCM
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I recall hearing something like their sets are 28 minutes long or something of the sort. I'm going to their headlining set because it's at the Echo, and doesn't involve driving to Pomona.

Edit: Or Santa Ana or wherever it is. Same shit.

suprefan
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
How long was their set? I'm wondering if it's worth going to a headlining set, or if I'd be just as well served by seeing them with Ceremony and Titus Andronicus.

They are the 3rd act on that tour? I dont think anyone is gonna make it out in one piece after the el rey show.

TallGuyCM
10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
They're not opening the El Rey show, they're in SD that night.

bmack86
10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
They're only opening in Santa Ana. Almost makes the drive worth it.

Edit: and it's on a Friday. Sold.

Drewski27
10-24-2012, 06:12 PM
They just destroyed my ears. You should let them destroy yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGDNbT4CSE

this is a pleasant surprise. i fully enjoyed this.

ods..
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
They're not opening the El Rey show, they're in SD that night.

Yeah I'm excited for this show. They're gonna destroy Soda Bar.

ThatGirl
10-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Loved it. The video was really intriguing.

nathanfairchild
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
i saw them open for dfa last year. i thought they were great. nice to see they're getting more recognition now.

sonofhal
10-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Set was around 30-35 minutes. Crowd was pretty wild. Can't wait for them to come back.

Sushov23
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Santa Ana is the right answer. They'll play a full set. Bmack, I may be down to carpool. I think i'm staying in LA that weekend with a friend.

bballarl
10-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Stoked to see them at BOTH.

Spooks
10-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Metz (1st) 7" Record Release show from 2009...

http://vimeo.com/3103793

rage patton
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I am going to let my METZ boner calm down a bit after this post, but jesus they were something last night. I don't know if anyone else here has seen them aside from Chris, but I found they actually sounded a bit different live than on album. Before I go any further, I will say the live show keeps the viciousness, the vitality, and the "in-your-face" attitude and aesthetic that the album has. I noticed two main differences, the first and the most noticable are the vocals. Where as on the recording you have the washed out reverb drenched vocals... live it is just straight up yelling. It was jarring at first, because that is not what I was expecting, but hot damn did it ever add to the intensity of the performance. The other noticable different is how fucking noisy they are live. It was incredibly impressive how the band was able to add in these little 4 or 5 second noise jams in the middle of their songs, and go straight back into their tight as fuck riffs. It added a great dynamic to the live show.

Overall, "intense" is the best way to describe their live performance. Their energy is through the roof and they are unrelenting with how powerful their riffs are. Everyone around me was floored by the performance.

On another note, I talked to the drummer for a while after their performance and he is really nice guy. I asked what life has been like since they got BNM'd by Pitchfork and he appeared to still be weirded out by all the attention they were getting. METZ has been around for 7 years and until now, they have really only gotten attention in Toronto and Montreal. Over the past 7 years, the band has released a number of 7" singles, but no EPs and no albums. Until now that is. The band was hoping they would start to gain a following outside the east coast of Canada with this album... but they were not expecting the reacation they have recieved. He said its awesome and its really encouraging and the band is beside themselves with excited, but he said it still feels unreal at this point.

Also, as I said in the upcoming shows thread, the band hasn't been contacted by Coachella to play, but they have just signed on to play Lollapalooza and Primavera next year.

I also picked up a 7" released by Sub-Pop just before the full length and the two songs are excellent.

bmack86
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Did you see how much they were selling the album for at the show? I'm planning on seeing them at the Echo next Friday.

JorgeC
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Bryan,

The Echo show is on Wednesday the 7th. not Friday.

bmack86
11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Or then. Thanks!

rage patton
11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
LP was $15, T-shirts were $15, and the 7" was $5. I bought one of each because they earned my money.

sonofhal
11-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I got a t-shirt too. We better not clash at Coachella. How embarrassing. Quite chuffed about the Primavera news.

rage patton
11-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah, how embarassing would that be. One of us would have to change. Luckily, in that case, we will only be a few steps away from our respective suitcases.

Also, "chuffed?" I am unaware of this slang. I assume it means excited or something of the like?

bballarl
11-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I am so stoked to see these guys on Monday. Can't wait to pick up the 7". And with positive reviews from Chris and Josh, it looks like they are guaranteed to destroy my face.

bballarl
11-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Hey guys. Great news. This band is fucking incredible live. I wish I could describe to you how great this was. Fucking completely relentless...nothing contrived, no lapse in energy, nothing. It was exceptional from start to finish. What a wonderful show. Please see this band in concert.

Their show reminded me of what I love about rock 'n' roll, something that I've wanted Japandroids and Titus Andronicus to do live since I was aware they existed. So good. God damn.

gillster17
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I was there as well last night and they were incredible. It felt as though they only played about 15 minutes i wasnt ready for it to end. I kept thinking though I really want the men and metz to go on tour together cuz they would be a terrific duo together.

Spooks
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I was there as well last night and they were incredible. It felt as though they only played about 15 minutes i wasnt ready for it to end. I kept thinking though I really want the men and metz to go on tour together cuz they would be a terrific duo together.

Nah Men isn't in-your-face noise punk enough! Perfect tour for them would be Hot Snakes/Lightning Bolt/Mae Shi (reunion)/Hella/METZ!

bmack86
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I'd feel bad for the rest of those bands. The Mae Shi would have upstaged them all.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I miss 2-person Hella so much. And yeah, that would be quite a fucking show.

gillster17
11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Havnt heard of Mae Shi im guessing im missing out since I love the others with the exception of hot snakes.

JorgeC
11-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Echo rollcall tonight? I have an extra ticket if anyone wants it for $10 or a tallcan + a hug.

Vinyl Williams @8:45
Batwings Catwings @9:30
METZ @10:20

bmack86
11-07-2012, 01:47 PM
If I don't win tickets from The Echo I will definitely buy it from you.

That said, I'm there.

bmack86
11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Fuck you, kid, and your skinny jeans, Metz killed it at the Echo tonight. They played for at max 35 minutes, and they didn't waste a second. I think they said things on stage, I think they played songs I know, but really it didn't matter because they were amped as shit and so was I. 3 songs in the crowd wasn't moving, so sushov and I decided that it was time for some dancing. We barreled into the audience and for the rest of the show it was a madhouse. Top 5 sets of the year for sure.

bmack86
11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
And the closing version of Wet Blanket is ferocious. Long, gnarly, vicious, ferocious. Titus Andronicus has a large pair of shoes to fill tomorrow night.

ods..
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I am so stoked for this show tomorrow. Metz on Thursday into Titus on Saturday is going to be so fun.

Sushov23
11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
I could write a review, but it would be the same thing Bryan wrote. So awesome, I cannot wait for round 2 on Friday with Ceremony, and Titus. woooooo

JorgeC
11-08-2012, 07:52 AM
What Jesse and Bryan said. Crazy show and the most amazing energy i've seen all year. I can't wait to see them again next time around, sad i have family in town and can't go Friday. They are definitely going to get bigger, but don't know if they can sustain that level of intensity for a full hour. Do they even have enough material?

Oh, and what the band was saying onstage was along the lines of "we have some stuff for sale. Tshirts. our album. A 7". it's like a limited edition or something. I don't even know what that means" and in the split second before they launch into the next song someone screams "500 OR LESS!!". i cracked up. Bryan, that wasn't you was it?

bmack86
11-08-2012, 08:35 AM
That was me.

And I think they played a majority of their material. I think they could probably do about 5-6 more songs, but I wonder if they could do it physically.

Spooks
11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
That was me.

And I think they played a majority of their material. I think they could probably do about 5-6 more songs, but I wonder if they could do it physically.

Out of 5 times I've seen them this year, the longest set was about 40 minutes (Death by Audio show in March). To my knowledge, they only have these physical releases with the exception of negative space/automat songs from 2010 so we can't be expecting them to play longer sets (I wish)!!!

1) Metz "Leave me out" 7" by Sub Pop
2) Metz/Fresh Snow split 7" Record Store Day 2012 (was only available at Toronto's Sonic Boom store) "Pig" (Sparklehorse cover by Metz) b/w BMX Based Tactics (Fresh Snow)
3) Self titled LP

ps Did they still have "loser" edition available at the merch table? I need to find a copy for my cousin in Spain!

Missed this DBA show during CMJ but it's a great space (similar to the Smell but definitely a lot smaller). Also, this is where A place to bury strangers make/run their pedal business!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJLV6Zy28pw

One of the best shows ever at DBA. Missing No Age:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQywvoP4rI

bmack86
11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
They had copies of the Loser edition. I went with the regular to save $5.

Spooks
11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
They had copies of the Loser edition. I went with the regular to save $5.

Awesome! Thanks a lot:)

ods..
11-09-2012, 12:07 AM
They were so fucking good tonight. Their drummer KILLS.

bballarl
11-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Seriously, this band fucking rules. I still can't get over how good they were in SF.

sonofhal
02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
My ears are fucked. Doing it all again tomorrow - after all, it's nearly Tinnitus Awareness Week.

ods..
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Wear earplugs.

suprefan
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Wear earplugs.

Chris was in a band for a while, 20 years ago. His ears are fucked regardless.

sonofhal
02-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Night 2 just as loud, but with a much more animated audience. One guy ended up with blood coming out of his eye socket, which can't be good.

vulcandeathgrip
02-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Night 2 just as loud, but with a much more animated audience. One guy ended up with blood coming out of his eye socket, which can't be good.

You know you put on a good show when people starting bleeding from the eyehole.

Miroir Noir
05-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Scored free tickets to see them on Monday.

rage patton
05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the bump. I nearly forgot to post this here. I wrote an article on METZ, which features an interview with Alex Edkins of the band, for a magazine here in Vancouver. Check it out if you are so inclined.

I am also seeing METZ and White Lung tonight and cannot be more stoked for the show right now.

Sleepingrock
05-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Awesome good times.

Poland will kick my ass, thanks METZ!

rage patton
05-04-2013, 06:44 AM
White Lung were really, really great last night... but METZ. Holy shit. The show was absolutely phenomenal. They absolutely slayed. They were loud, vicious, aggressive, and super tight. The crowd was absolutely mental the entire set as well. God. Damn. METZ is just such a great band!

Spooks
06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
New song to be released online soon! :thu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzP5IFSl5_U

Spooks
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Metz covers the Damned! :thu

http://www.avclub.com/articles/metz-covers-the-damned,101089/