PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Official MLB Baseball Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

donthasselthehof
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
just watch out for the rockies again choke artists

york707
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Well, the cardinals got screwed out of a strong offensive start and an utterly embarrasing pitching performance by Francis yesterday. My tickets are good for the makeup game tonight, but I can't go.

TomAz
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

donthasselthehof
04-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Rocktober

TomAz
04-01-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.poster.net/hasselhoff-david/hasselhoff-david-photo-xl-david-hasselhoff-6210197.jpg

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

thestripe
04-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Stop it.

donthasselthehof
04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2118/1595092648_ebd4e5bd5c.jpg?v=0

sweeeep

TomAz
04-01-2008, 01:44 PM
dude are you seriously taunting me because my team made the LCS and yours got swept in the first round of the playoffs?

donthasselthehof
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
are you seriously taunting me because the owner of my team decided to change the name of the team ive followed since i was a kid?

thestripe
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
are you seriously taunting me because the owner of my team decided to change the name of the team ive followed since i was a kid?

Let's be honest, the name of the team that we've followed since kids is kind of silly.

donthasselthehof
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
they will always be the angels

TomAz
04-01-2008, 02:10 PM

umm. yes. of course I am. it's a stupid name. It's awkward and cumbersome. it's inelegant. it stumbles off the tongue. It's a contrived pile of nitwit crap. so yes. of course I am.

This is called "grounds". I have grounds to taunt your team for their name. You have no grounds to taunt my team for their playoff performance, given that it was better than your team's playoff performance.

To everyone else, sorry to waste your time explaining the obvious.

fiyahhh!
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I really hope that when the A's move to my 'hood they don't become "the Oakland A's of Fremont" or something like that. If this goes as planned, I will be a 20 min walk from the new stadium. This excites me to no end.

ghettojournalist
04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Garland looked really good today.

HEADSTRUCK
04-01-2008, 07:21 PM
i think letting gagne have the closer role is a mistake for milwaukee. The bo sox wouldnt even let him touch the ball unless it was a blowout at the end of last year. Give the job to turnbow until he fails to keep it this year.

GO BREW CREW

marooko
04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
semi. hehe.

Bosco
04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Are you on crack? My heartrate was ridiculous for about an hour because you felt that the first mistake would lose the game.

Are you one of those Cubs fans that cheers every single lazy pop fly like it is a 450ft homer? Say it ain't so, Bosco...

Negative, I'm a Cubs fan that hates the Cubs (does that even make sense?). Seriously though, I love both of my Chicago teams but I'm very critical of each.

As for the home run ball, I'm like any other schmuck when it comes to balls flying out of the yard (god, that sounds so gay). But as a former player of the game, I too appreciate the smaller things in baseball as well. However, the small things don't help my fantasy team... :)

C DUB YA
04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
FUKUDOME!

ghettojournalist
04-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Fukudome really surprised me that first game. all while having my favorite last name ever!

Bosco
04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Fukudome really surprised me that first game. all while having my favorite last name ever!

technically, it's his first name...

ragingdave
04-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I really hope that when the A's move to my 'hood they don't become "the Oakland A's of Fremont" or something like that. If this goes as planned, I will be a 20 min walk from the new stadium. This excites me to no end.

It doesn't mater what they call them.
They will still suck.

I went to both Red Sox games this week.
Utterly brutal.

The only positive out of the "series" was Huston Street didn't get to blow a save.
Instead he gave up a blast with no save on the line.

stuporfly
04-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Yes, the season is just a few days old. But admit it - If someone told you a week ago that the last unbeaten team left in the league at this point was going to be the Kansas City Royals (who opened against the mighty Detroit Tigers in Motown), you'd have called in the guys with the white lab coats and the giant butterfly nets.

Bosco
04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I think the Blue Jays are on the verge of turning into a really good ball club. Put me down for 10 that they make the playoffs.

Detroit......Jesus Christ!

Cpt. Funkaho
04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Smoltz and Glavine are both starting for the Braves and looking good... what is this, 1995?

gmoneyak
04-07-2008, 12:50 AM
I think the Blue Jays are on the verge of turning into a really good ball club. Put me down for 10 that they make the playoffs.

I like their starting pitching, but the wild card is coming from the AL Central this year. I DO think that in another year or two Toronto could easily top the NY and Boston in the East.

Detroit will bounce back as their injuries subside, they're just way too loaded this year not to.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Manny is a Dodger

Bosco
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
lol, and I as I look back at this thread, my Toronto prediction went to shit... (However they are a .500 club) Tampa really surprised this year.

nahuatldream
07-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Manny is a Dodger

And they didn't give up much, well...unless LaRoche actually lives up to his potential. They still got DeWitt, however.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the Pirates go the best of the deal, BIG TIME.

1. They dont need to pay Bay anymore

2. They get two 1st Round draft pick pitchers (Craig Hansen and Bryan Morris) from the 2005 draft and the 2006 draft.

3. Brandon Moss, who could just be as good as Jason bay, if not better.

4. Andy LaRoche, who is now put into a non-pressure situation and can become his own player.

Newro7ic
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
lol, and I as I look back at this thread, my Toronto prediction went to shit... (However they are a .500 club) Tampa really surprised this year.

Looking back at this thread is entertaining. Almost all the picks were off.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
So here is some fresher predictions:

NL EAST = Mets
NL CENTRAL = Cubs
NL West = Diamondbacks
Wildcard = Cardinals

AL East = Tampa Bay
AL Central = White Sox
AL West = Angels
Wildcard = Yankees

I think the Manny trade is gonna deflate the Redsox, plus they just got swept by the Angels at Fenway... However, I dont think Manny is enough to get the Dodgers past the D-Backs. Also, look out for a late run from the Rockies. I picked the Cardinals over the Brewers to take the Wildcard because I just think the brewers are just too young.

picks up chair
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
I picked the Cardinals over the Brewers to take the Wildcard because I just think the brewers are just too young.

And hopefully our pitching will pick up with Carp getting in a groove and Wainwright getting back. I'd enjoy a Cards-Cubs playoff opportunity. It sucked having a subpar team be called our "rival" all those years. I agree with all your predictions except the Mets. There's NO WAY the Phillies don't go.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Phillies pitching wont hold. However, if they continue to bash the opposition, I cant argue with them taking the NL East again.

picks up chair
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Hamels is unbelievable and Lidge is somehow back to pre-game 5 of nlcs 2005-Lidge. But yeah, I guess if their pitching goes, it's the Mets.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
I feel good for Ken Griffey Jr. getting another chance with a winning ball club. Plus the White Sox, didnt have to give up much. Not sure how Ozzie Guillen is gonna organize the lineup now, but at least its not a clusterfuck like the Dodger outfield.

Newro7ic
07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
So here is some fresher predictions:

NL EAST = Mets
NL CENTRAL = Cubs
NL West = Diamondbacks
Wildcard = Cardinals

AL East = Tampa Bay
AL Central = White Sox
AL West = Angels
Wildcard = Yankees

I think the Manny trade is gonna deflate the Redsox, plus they just got swept by the Angels at Fenway... However, I dont think Manny is enough to get the Dodgers past the D-Backs. Also, look out for a late run from the Rockies. I picked the Cardinals over the Brewers to take the Wildcard because I just think the brewers are just too young.

I can agree with most of that. However, I believe Manny will have more effect on the Dodgers and get them past the DBbacks. The NL west is usually tough to call because of all the mediocrity. It's more a matter of who's going to lose it than it is who's going to win it.

zenidogx
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
BoSox could still win without Manny. the distractions are gone, Ortiz is back. they still can get to October. they just won't be effective.

Angels are just gonna steamroll past the competition.

Down Rodeo
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
I think the Dodgers can definitely take the West now. They just shut out 4 of their last 6 opponents and now they got a serious upgrade to their offense for when the pitching isn't lights out like recently.

zenidogx
07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Ken Griffey to White Sox

zenidogx
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20080731/ca_pr_on_ba/bbl_reds_griffey_trade_14

menikmati
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah uh, people stopped talking about Griffey 8 years ago.

Hopeless Semantic
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Man, I had Ken Griffey Jr.'s Upper Deck rookie card that was at one point worth hundreds of dollars...and then my sister decided to tear it up...really sucked lol.

menikmati
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Cards aren't worth shit now. Should of sold back in 99. I have all the McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, Farves, Ramirez's, SHAQ's, Marino, some Griffey's and others Rookies and can't get rid of them. Any takers?

gmoneyak
07-31-2008, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I jumped on Toronto at the same time. haha...

I'm still laughing at how much ESPN was on the Royals' jock early in the season, even going as far as saying that, (with their pitching), they should easily hang around contention in the AL Central.

God, I fucking hate ESPN. My Twins are 1/2 game back and just finished a huge 4 game series with the White Sox and STILL are relegated to absolute obscurity. Even the Angels have gotten no props at all this year, I'm so fucking tired of the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox already.

PassiveTheory
07-31-2008, 11:02 PM
LOL, even when the Padres had above .500 seasons we were always relegated to the end of the highlight reel... We're all sick of ESPN's bullshit.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 11:29 PM
There is a reason why the Padres dont get featured on ESPN. It's because they're a boring team. Padres haven't been relevant since Tony Gwynn retired.

Bosco
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
God, I fucking hate ESPN. My Twins are 1/2 game back and just finished a huge 4 game series with the White Sox and STILL are relegated to absolute obscurity. Even the Angels have gotten no props at all this year, I'm so fucking tired of the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox already.

Believe me, out here in Chicago we dread playing the Twinkies. The Twins are the toughest team to solve in all of baseball.

gmoneyak
08-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I barely understand my own team half the time. I predicted them to be hovering around the .500 mark this year, they've seriously overachieved.

I still think the Twins are a good 2 years away, it's pretty fucking exciting that they are all still so young. Our starters are all under the age of 27 and are going to be solid, Livan Hernandez will be gone after this year, and Liriano is absolutely tearing up AAA and will be back within the week. We're really just built to win the division this year, that would be a huge victory for us, the rest is realistically a pipe dream for now.

The off season would be spent focusing on a power hitting 3rd baseman from the right side to compliment our speed and the left-handed M+M boys. Delmon Young and Carlos Gomez are only 22 and our farm system is still packed with talent.

This team is going to be nasty.