PDA

View Full Version : IAMX 2013

JorgeC
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
so i got sick of bumping a 3+ year old thread in the rumors/wish list section because it looks like IAMX is out (again) for Coachella. Creating a new thread to share news on the 2013 world tour and making of the 5th album. The Pledgemusic project for the release of his next album went live this morning and was 100% funded in less than 8 hours.

IAMX Album # 5 (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/iamx)

the page has 2 free downloads, an acoustic version of The Alternative and a Steve Morell remix of Cold Red Light. Fun fact, if you look at pledge incentives on the right side, you'll see the artwork that inspired the tattoo on my arm (New Year's Eve Berlin 2007). I bought the "Golden Ticket" cuz i plan on going to as many shows in 2013 as possible.

IAMX ON TOUR 2012
Oct 20th eremoclub Bari, Italy TICKETS
Nov 1st Glavclub St. Petersburg, Russia TICKETS
Nov 3rd Milk Moscow Moscow, Russia TICKETS
Nov 10th Crystal Hall Kiev, Ukraine TICKETS
Nov 23rd Saklikent Ankara, Turkey TICKETS
Nov 24th Babylon Istanbul, Turkey TICKETS

IAMX ON TOUR 2013
Mar 28th Ancienne Belgique Brussels, Belgium
Apr 4th Roxy Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 11th Astra Berlin, Germany

microcuts
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Earlier today, Chris teased something about coming to the Henry Fonda Theatre..

JorgeC
11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Yup, going to be awesome. He's only announced the venue for New York (Irving Plaza) and LA (Fonda Theater), but not dates or onsale info. Tour will be in late April and May of 2013. Has to be after 4/18 as he announced a London show for that day.

Luckily i'm celebrating my 15yr anniversary with my job next year and I'm getting bumped up to 4 weeks of vacation. I will be using at least 1 or 2 of those to follow him around the US. I'm hoping to do a number of east coast shows (prob Philly, DC, Boston, NY), and also the west coast (prob Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, SD, Vegas), but would love to go to other states i haven't been to to see him. Maybe CO, GA, FL, IL, MI. If his tour is as extensive as I hope it is, i will be a very broke boy.

WhyTheLongFace
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Thought this was for IMX. Disappointed.

microcuts
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Hmm... Switzerland is 4.20 and Greece is 5.25

So the US tour will be inbetween those? That doesn't seem like it will be very many cities...

JorgeC
12-03-2012, 11:11 AM
First 2 US dates confirmed. Going on sale this Saturday.

Irving Plaza, NYC 4/26
Fonda Theater, Hollywood 5/15

let's like it's going to be a short tour. Other confirmed cities are Boston, Chicago, Toronto and Austin. The new single is a bit underwhelming, but i'm hoping it makes more sense in the context of the album (felt the same way about "Think of England").

microcuts
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Timing couldn't be worse, and the lack of Detroit makes me want to punch something. Maybe more will be added.

shakermaker113
12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
SF 5/14.

JorgeC
12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
full US/Canada dates and venues

4/26 - Irving Plaza, NYC
4/27 - Brighton Music Hall, Boston
4/29 - Cabaret du Mile-End, Montreal
4/30 - Lee's Palace, Toronto
5/2 - Lincoln Hall, Chicago
5/4 - The Loft, Atlanta
5/6 - The Parish, Austin
5/7 - Trees, Dallas
5/9 - Bluebird Theater, Denver
5/11 - Neumo's, Seattle
5/12 - Doug Fir Lounge, Portland
5/14 - Slim's, SF
5/15 - Fonda Theater, LA

microcuts
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Finally got around to applying for a passport today. Toronto, here I come!

JorgeC
02-06-2013, 09:28 PM
awesome! have a great time, wish i was going there too, but opted to stay in Montreal a few days. I'm going to have to hit up the Travel Thread for some tips.

getbetter
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I need to get my ticket soon eeeee

JorgeC
02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Zack, i already bought a bunch for friends from Amoeba with no fees. i'll save you 1. I'll bring it when we go to the Smell for Parenthetical Girls.

getbetter
02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
FUCK YES!!! No fees

JorgeC
03-21-2013, 10:43 AM

i put in the depeche mode thread, but belongs here too. Electro-dandy? what is that??

In regards to the new album, still undecided. It's definitely Chris, but i can see Jim Abiss' influence on it. No full-on industrial stompers (see Cold Red Light, Bring Me Back a Dog, etc) on this album, has some trip-hop throwbacks and the track with the gypsy-ish guitar was a nice touch. I don't feel like there's anything on the album that fully grabs me, except for "I Come With Knives" and "Quiet the Mind". The latter probably my favorite ballad since Missile and the former is what I would imagine a Knife/IAMX collaboration to sound like.

Anyone else had a chance to listen yet?

JorgeC
04-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm in Motreal for tonight's show. It's so cool seeing him in multiple cities. The crowds in Prague and Berlin were huge (1000+ cap venues). NY as a shitshow (me, not the band) but Boston made up for it. He's been closing with Nightlife, hopefully the crowd likes to dance here.

Propellerpete
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Jorge- Which album(s) should Fontaine and I get into before the SEA show?

JorgeC
04-29-2013, 03:26 PM
About half the set list is all new songs from "The Unified Field" which is on spotify (all of them may be). His most popular album is The Alternative and my fave is Kiss and Swallow. You can't go wrong with any of them. See you both in a few weeks :)

microcuts
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Really wish they still did Your Joy Is My Low. But I'm super looking forward to the Toronto gig tomorrow!

JorgeC
05-01-2013, 04:43 PM
How was the Toronto show? He's been only doing 2 song encores, rotating between President, Nightlife and I Come Knives. Montreal was by far the best of the 3 ive seen on this leg of the tour. Got front row in front of Chris and he ended up giving me the mask off his drum. So awesome.

microcuts
05-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Toronto was fucking incredible! Lee's Palace was a hot sweaty dance floor - rowdy crowd! I think Chris must have loved it; they actually did a 3 song encore with all of those songs. If it wasn't a sold out show it must have been close to it. Really makes me want to go to Chicago tomorrow hah.

The mask last night was kind of creepy. He tossed out several sweaty black make-up stained towels in the crowd and it might be a bit fanboyish of me to say I'm a little disappointed I couldn't grab one. Janine is so energetic.. the new drummer is hot as fuck. The new girl brought a lot of energy to the show, too. It's weird to see Chris go a whole show without playing guitar, but the band sounds great. I liked how he kept pouring water onto the drum so whenever it was hit next it would just splash everywhere. The collaborative drumstick tapping between Chris and the guitarist in Teargarden was also entertaining.

I hope it's not going to be another 5+ years before they come back.

Justin170
05-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Can't wait for The Fonda show!

Propellerpete
05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks Jorge for leading us to a good time and glad we could do the same! Awesome crowd at Neumos and around CapHill. An awesome show in Seattle!

JorgeC
05-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Fonda was great. Much higher ratio of goths at last night's show. Is this an LA thing? While there were definitely people dressed up at other shows, i saw a lot of more skanky outfits, colored dreads, and tiny hats last night.

sacleonard
07-18-2013, 10:32 PM
I've been listening to "The Unified Field" a lot lately, and like the previous album, I like it better with each spin. Also, as luck had it, I was in Austin in May, so I got to see the show there. The venue was extremely small, and the crowd was energetic, but not rowdy in any way. Chris' voice was amazing, the band was clearly having a lot of fun, and they played for ~500 like they were playing for 5000. Great performance!

JorgeC
05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
First IAMX show since Chris' health issues forced him to cancel the rest of 2013.

IAMX - Kiss + Swallow Acoustic Session on 5/31. (https://www.stageit.com/iamx/acoustic_session_1_kiss_swallow/37027)

This is an online show via Stageit. Luckily the timing works out for me, noon on a Saturday. Anyone else thinking of joining? Comes out to $15. As long as he plays Your Joy is My Low I'll be more than satisfied. I just hope the Q&A portion isn't a total shitshow.

sacleonard
05-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I would like to check this out, especially since the acoustic show will be great to highlight his vocals. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll be available yet. I'm just glad he's back!

JorgeC
05-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Me too. He seems to have had a very rough year, that last blog was a tough read, but hopefully he's on the mend.

I've heard him do acoustic tracks many times and his voice is great. Looking forward to this.

JorgeC
08-20-2014, 10:20 AM
You tube links for both acoustic shows. I get a shoutout at the 41 minute mark of the Alternative session when he's answering the question about IAMX on vinyl.

http://youtu.be/-Km1E6OXzbo (Alternative)

http://youtu.be/-FVeC-Ey7lE (K+S)

sacleonard
08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks. I'm going to check them out in a bit.

shakermaker113
08-24-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm sure everyone who paid to watch is thrilled it is now available for free.

JorgeC
09-08-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm sure everyone who paid to watch is thrilled it is now available for free.

The fact that Stageit announces these are exclusive are will never be broadcast anywhere is such a joke. It's as impossible as stopping leaks from happening. While I'm sure there are those that are pissed because they paid, there's just as many (or at least enough) fans that do pay for the privilege to see it first and directly support him. Look at the pay-per-view market. I know it's sports vs concert, but it's as close a comparison I can think of.

The latest news is that he is doing a residency at the Complex in Glendale, CA every Sunday in October. 10/5, 10/12, 10/19, 10/26. I'm in Mexico on 10/5, but will be all smiles during shows 2, 3 and 4. If anyone is coming out to these, let me know. There will be a few boardies there on the 19th.

sacleonard
09-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I can't make the shows. I live up north (Sacramento) and will be traveling out of the country for three of those four weekends. But I have a co-worker coming down for a couple of the shows. I hope to see him in 2015.

JorgeC
10-16-2014, 08:59 AM
IAMX has been added as the opener for Gary Numan at the Glasshouse on Thursday 10/23. Great place to catch him if you missed out on tickets to the residency shows.

getbetter
10-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Gary Numan + I MAX at the glass house sounds fucking amazing. Super jelly about that happening. Have you gone to all of these shows Jorge? Has regina? spector what's her face come out as a guest ?

JorgeC
10-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I was in Mexico during night 1 of the residency, but Thomas and James went and sent me a couple of vids. It was supposed to be different set lists each night, but turns out Night 2 had the same setlist as Night 1. I'm hoping he changes a few songs this coming Sunday. I'm going nights 3 and 4 and definitely not missing the Glasshouse show.

Next time he plays SF we'll go together =o)

shakermaker113
10-16-2014, 06:07 PM
surely there must be something more interesting than the fact that the first two nights had the same set list.

JorgeC
10-17-2014, 01:52 PM
He doesn't have a full band right now, just him and Janine. The Complex is VERY tiny, but he did have his full video display (3 screens on stage). The best parts were the rare songs he played:

Full set list

I Come With Knives
The Alternative
Mercy (not played in years!)
Volatile Times
Bernadette
This Will Make You Love Again (also not played in years and extended into a live remix version to dance to)
You Can Be Happy (favorite non-single from VT)
Your Joy Is My Low (hasn't been played since the 2nd album tour)
President (for some reason the goths went crazy for this)
Spit It Out
Missile (giant sing along)
Sorrow

I really feel like he could have made it dirtier and left out some of the staples (Alternative/Spit It Out) for some more deep cuts. We'll see what he plays these next 3 shows. He asked online what we wanted, I said Bring Me Back a Dog, Cold Red Light, After Every Party I Die and Great Shipwreck of Life.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
10-17-2014, 02:08 PM
For a first time, it was a really amazing show. Thanks so much Jorge!

JorgeC
10-20-2014, 09:42 AM
He added "I Am Terrified" for last night's set. Still a great show, but kinda sad that he didn't change the set list more since that's how it was specifically advertised. Seeing him on Thursday opening for Gary will be interesting, hopefully it's longer than 45 minutes or whatever time the opener gets.

JorgeC
11-12-2014, 08:45 AM
IAMX playing a "Winter Formal" on Saturday 12/27 at the Complex in Glendale.

Also 12/31 @ Slims in San Francisco

I hope these are full band performances.