PDA

View Full Version : It's Raining Magazines You Loved as a Child

stinkbutt
08-22-2012, 09:35 AM
RIP Nintendo Power

Tubesock Shakur
08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
By this time next year it will be RIP Nintendo.

obzen
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I initially thought this to be a reference to Penthouse.

amyzzz
08-22-2012, 09:59 AM
I thought it was going to be Highlights.

stinkbutt
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I thought that this would be a thread Amy wouldn't derail

casey
08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Awwww, RIP. My brother used to have a bookshelf filled with all his Nintendo Powers when he was a kid. He subscribed for years and I would always look through them for ways to cheat since he was so much better at video games than me. Then, when my brother was in high school he called Nintendo to see about getting parts to refurbish his NES and they told him that because he had been a subscriber to Nintendo Power for so long as a kid, they would just send him a refurbished NES free of charge.

amyzzz
08-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Title doesn't allude to what I thought it would. *shrug*

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I had started getting Nintendo Power when it was only a newsletter. i had every issue after that from #1 up until probably 1998 or so.

Do you guys remember Howard and Nester? That comic was one of my favorite parts of the early years.
http://mimg.ugo.com/201005/43294/cuts/19_480x360.jpg

Awesomely, there is a scan archive of a lot of them, including the crazy 16 page clay-photography Tetris strategy guide That i remember so fondly.
http://hn.iodized.net/main.htm

I also loved how back int the day they didn't just use like box art and stuff for the covers, but did crazy photo sessions
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6144/6042629999_0e818642b4_z.jpg
http://7.mshcdn.com/wp-content/gallery/10-amazing-nintendo-power-covers/Nintendo%20Power%20Mega%20Man%202.jpeg

obzen
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I fucking loved playing Mega Man 2.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Mega man 2 is one of the best platformers of all time. it's absolute perfection for that style of game for that generation. Such fantastic variety in enemies, mini-bosses, backgrounds, great map designs, good simply controls, good pace, great use of choose-your-own-level strategies based on boss weapon acquisition, and one of the most kick-ass chiptune soundtracks ever.

tyles
08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I loved this publication as a kid. I had from Issue #1 through to at least a year or two into the Nintendo 64 years. I agree with Drinky on those covers, which half the time, were way more exciting then the ACTUAL packing and promo art for the games they covered.

As an aside, I am at work and I do not have access to youtube, but someone needs to post the "Nintendo Power" episode of the Angry Video Game Nerd. It could very well be the best eulogy for NP that could be given, even though it wasn't intended as such.

Fourthisto
08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Damn, that brings back some memories. I think I had issues 4-108 or something stupid like that... I put them up on Ebay a long, long time ago and got about fifty bucks for the lot. I used to love the days when the mailman would bring the new one... thanks for the fun, Nester.

tMCEEO77EpU

TomAz
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

really? you loved Highlights? even when I was like 9 years old I thought that magazine was stupid. We'd go into the doctor's office and be waiting in the waiting room and all they would have was Highlights magazine and I was like, man, this is some seriously stupid crap, what sort of brain defective enjoys this?

tyles
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Highlights was the poor man's Cricket magazine.

Cricket Magazine was also the magazine my parents wished I read more than Nintendo Power.

TomAz
08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I have never heard of 'Cricket' magazine.

tyles
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I have never heard of 'Cricket' magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Magazine

TomAz
08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
founded in September 1973 by Marianne Carus, whose intent was to create "The New Yorker for children."

tyles
08-22-2012, 11:19 AM

As an adult, I realize it was a pretty nice magazine, but frankly, as a kid, I didn't think it had as many bright colors and informative articles about beating Zelda II.

shoegazer76
08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah Tom is right Highlights has always sucked. Dynamite magazine on the other hand was entertaining most times. The Nintendo Powers I've seen the past 5 years have been mostly ads in each issue.

tyles
08-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah Tom is right Highlights has always sucked. Dynamite magazine on the other hand was entertaining most times. The Nintendo Powers I've seen the past 5 years have been mostly ads in each issue.

Apparently, they turned Nintendo Power over to another publisher after having made it in-house since the beginning. They should have just kept it in-house. They didn't even have non-Nintendo Power-type ads in the magazine until way after I stopped subscribing.

That said, to anyone who read the magazine, was there ever a cover-featured game that you ended up playing and finding out the game sucked? I don't remember that being a thing until I played "Power Blade." Not that it was a bad game, but aside from the fact that a boomerang is your main weapon the entire time, it wasn't a very memorable game at all.

amyzzz
08-22-2012, 12:01 PM
really? you loved Highlights? even when I was like 9 years old I thought that magazine was stupid. We'd go into the doctor's office and be waiting in the waiting room and all they would have was Highlights magazine and I was like, man, this is some seriously stupid crap, what sort of brain defective enjoys this?I liked the puzzles. The stories were pretty lame, now that I think about it.

tyles
08-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Highlights, Time, and Entertainment Weekly were the default magazines in my dentist's office waiting room. The later two held my attention enough to warrent not ever picking up Highlights.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Apparently, they turned Nintendo Power over to another publisher after having made it in-house since the beginning. They should have just kept it in-house. They didn't even have non-Nintendo Power-type ads in the magazine until way after I stopped subscribing.

That said, to anyone who read the magazine, was there ever a cover-featured game that you ended up playing and finding out the game sucked? I don't remember that being a thing until I played "Power Blade." Not that it was a bad game, but aside from the fact that a boomerang is your main weapon the entire time, it wasn't a very memorable game at all.

They put a lot of shit games on the covers, a lot of tv/movie licensed stuff.
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_Power_Volumes

Grandma
08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Altering the Goofus and Gallant section of Highlights Magazine with the most reprehensibly offensive things an 8 year could write was hands down my favorite pediatric waiting room activity. Only good thing about Highlights Magazine was the dozens upon dozens of chances they gave me to deface them, and their article on deep sea excursions for giant squid in their May 1995 issue, which I stole from my orthodontist and still have to this day.

I think I only spent 10 seconds of my childhood reading nintendo power and that was the 2 sentence blurb on how to unlock the world warping flute in super mario 3

Fourthisto
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Yeah but they made up for that by featuring Battletoads two issues later.

tyles
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
They put a lot of shit games on the covers, a lot of tv/movie licensed stuff.
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_Power_Volumes

Some of these I completely forgot about. I didn't remember Vice: Project Doom at all, and I can't believe there was a cover story on a "Pugsly's Scavenger Hunt." Most of those early years were good games, although I can't speak for Track & Field II.

tyles
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah but they made up for that by featuring Battletoads two issues later.

Battletoads was awesome, but easily one of the hardest, throw-your-controller games for the NES. I never beat that game.

Mugwog
08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I fucking loved playing Mega Man 2.

Mega man 2 is one of the best platformers of all time. it's absolute perfection for that style of game for that generation. Such fantastic variety in enemies, mini-bosses, backgrounds, great map designs, good simply controls, good pace, great use of choose-your-own-level strategies based on boss weapon acquisition, and one of the most kick-ass chiptune soundtracks ever.

One of the best games ever, yes. The final boss while jumping on platforms and avoiding a fucking dragon. Oh the satisfaction met when you killed that fucker. Then you fall off the platform and have to repeat.

If you both have smart phones, I highly recommend spending a dollar or two for mega man 2 on your phone.

Also regarding this thread: What the fuck happened to Zoo Books??!!!

Grandma
08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
It always pissed me off how they chose a god-forsaken beluga as the cover model for their WHALES issue. The monodontinae family are the last fucking thing I think about when I see or hear the word 'Whale'

Fourthisto
08-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Battletoads was awesome, but easily one of the hardest, throw-your-controller games for the NES. I never beat that game.

You're not kidding.... but this bastard makes it look easy:

sluYD0Hr3og

tyles
08-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Another game that made it to the cover of Nintendo Power and that inspired a lot of controller abuse was Ninja Gaiden. I downloaded it on the Wii when I first got that, and it was WAAAAY tougher than I remembered.

Is it just me, or are games these days a little too easy?

kreutz2112
08-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I've decided to leave work early today to go home and attempt to beat A Link To The Past in one night.

tyles
08-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I've decided to leave work early today to go home and attempt to beat A Link To The Past in one night.

That's going to take awhile... I hope you have the day off or something tomorrow.

kreutz2112
08-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Having tomorrow off will depend on whether I have beaten the game by the time tomorrow happens.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
RIP, my friend was the first person to beat FF1 and got in nintendo power.

also, here's the angry video game nerd episode about nintendo power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk

tyles
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Thank you for posting that video.

As a side note, I really love his video on the Sega CD.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
my favourite is the ghostbusters one.

tyles
08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Also the follow-up to the Sega CD video, on the 32X is also a highlight.

obzen
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Zoo Books were rad.

obzen
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I also enjoyed eating animal crackers, the OG ones with the pics of them on the front.

Mugwog
08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
http://p2.la-img.com/406/15484/5063672_1_l.jpg
That was the cracker to be eating.

JustSteve
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Was it really a cracker, though? More cookie to me.

Mugwog
08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
I actually wrote, "it was the cookie" but then after reading "crackers" on the box, I felt it more appropriate to call it a cracker.

Why the hell are animals cookies called animal crackers? They aren't similar to a saltine or a ritz at all.

obzen
08-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Cookies are softer and chewy; crackers crack.

lulz

Mugwog
08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Interesting argument sir, but I feel crackers are rarely sweet.

marooko
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Me too, I was sad for a second there.

JustSteve
08-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Interesting argument sir, but I feel crackers are rarely sweet.

Had a heated(ok, not really) debate with the wife about graham crackers the other night. Again, called a cracker, but sweet, so she wants to consider it a cookie. Also, they are sold in the cookie section of the market, not the cracker aisle. I said it is called a graham cracker and I am content with that.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I loved Maniac Mansion

TomAz
08-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Had a heated(ok, not really) debate with the wife about graham crackers the other night. Again, called a cracker, but sweet, so she wants to consider it a cookie. Also, they are sold in the cookie section of the market, not the cracker aisle. I said it is called a graham cracker and I am content with that.

You are correct but not for the reason you cited. A graham cracker is a cracker because of the texture of the product. It does not yield or crumble like a cookie; when you bite it or break it, it snaps. Like a cracker. This is why it is a cracker.

Sweet/salty is a superfluous discussion independent of the nature of the thing itself. And citing marketing categorizations is foolish.

obzen
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
SO ZOOBOOKS IS NOT EVEN A MAGAZINE?!??!

FUCK

Mugwog
08-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Wouldn't really consider it a book though, I mean, it was a monthly zine for animals that was put together in a much better fashion than most zines. Less goths in it also.

tyles
08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I loved Maniac Mansion

I loved that one too... I do remember NP telling people what you could do with hampster and the microwave in the kitchen area... aaaaaaand that's why that part was deleted from future copies of game.