Rock chalk, Jayhawk!

GuyInTucson
08-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Arizona is going to suck this year.

Sarcasm?

GuyInTucson
08-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Depressing.

They're not going to suck. In fact, this could be a pretty big year for Arizona basketball.

kneuller
08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
VCU FTW

ENluv12
08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
They have said that since I was a freshman there... and I think they had one good year? I hope they do well, though.

Failed State
08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
The University of San Francisco is going to finish 5th in the NIT. You heard it here first kids.

GuyInTucson
08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
They have said that since I was a freshman there... and I think they had one good year? I hope they do well, though.

Yeah but this year's team is the most talented and deep Arizona squad, top to bottom, since 2005. There may not be a Derrick Williams factor, but this team goes about two deep at every position. Parrom has been awesome this offseason, which is huge. He's 100 % both physically and mentally.

Gribbz
08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Depressing.

Huh? We had the #1 recruiting class for most of the year. I think Chol and Johnson will have breakout years. Not to mention we now have a veteran PG with the Lyons transfer. I know all of that doesn't necessarily translate to wins... but it's a good start. Definitely far from "depressing."

Yeah but this year's team is the most talented and deep Arizona squad, top to bottom, since 2005. There may not be a Derrick Williams factor, but this team goes about two deep at every position. Parrom has been awesome this offseason, which is huge. He's 100 % both physically and mentally.

I almost forgot about Parrom. Hopefully he keeps it up.

HotHamWater
08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/tommyboyunm/New_Mexico_Flag.gif

GuyInTucson
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Huh? We had the #1 recruiting class for most of the year. I think Chol and Johnson will have breakout years. Not to mention we now have a veteran PG with the Lyons transfer. I know all of that doesn't necessarily translate to wins... but it's a good start. Definitely far from "depressing."

FWIW, Lyons has been very impressive as well.

HotHamWater
08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Very impressive......against who?

Gribbz
08-20-2012, 11:49 AM
I can't speak for Jason, but my opinion stemmed from his 2011-2012 season at Xavier.

Pixiessp
08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/tommyboyunm/New_Mexico_Flag.gif

This made me smile. The fact that it's waving makes it that much more special.
It exudes your pride.

HotHamWater
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
I can't speak for Jason, but my opinion stemmed from his 2011-2012 season at Xavier.

There's no doubt that Lyons was pretty good last season. I just always take it with a grain of salt when someone says a player has been impressive during practice and workouts and such. I go through this every year with UNM football and basketball. Every summer, all of our athletes look great and have improved so much. It's just really hard to tell until they start playing real games.

ENluv12
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM

I could give a S*** less about what someone says about the recruiting class. I only have that stance because of the amount of sports I have been around and been a part of. Hell, my freshman year at U of A playing volleyball we were a top 5 or top 10 (I can't remember exactly how high) and we didn't do well AT ALL that year. There are just some things that it doesn't predict. Like I said, I hope that they are great this year. I have a ton of friends that are still at the U of A athletic department and will always support my Wildcats!

Gribbz
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
There's no doubt that Lyons was pretty good last season. I just always take it with a grain of salt when someone says a player has been impressive during practice and workouts and such. I go through this every year with UNM football and basketball. Every summer, all of our athletes look great and have improved so much. It's just really hard to tell until they start playing real games.

I agree.

I could give a S*** less about what someone says about the recruiting class.

Well, you should care if you want to have an informed opinion. Describing the current state of program as "depressing" shows you don't really follow the team that closely. EDIT* Which is fine btw. There's just more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic about the upcoming season.

ods..
08-20-2012, 12:14 PM
lul

HotHamWater
08-20-2012, 12:14 PM
I didn't take it as her calling the state of the program "depressing." I took at as expressing frustration because there as been a bit of a dip over the years, and she wouldn't be surprised if it carried over to this season.

Gribbz
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Fair enough. Regardless, I would be extremely surprised if we weren't good this season (considering all of the reasons I stated above).

HotHamWater
08-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I expect Arizona to compete with UCLA and Cal for the conference title.

ENluv12
08-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't care about where they rank a recruiting class because that does not mean with will necessarily win. Like I said, I hope that they do, but someones idea about how good recruiting class doesn't mean anything to me because of other factors. Transitioning from high school to college his a difficult thing for a lot of athletes, and no one can predict how players are going to react. Also, from being part of the Arizona athletic department I know how the basketball team (and most others for that matter) handle their "free" time. That makes me hesitant to just dub them good before they have done anything to prove it. I am not saying I think they will or won't be good. All I am saying is that I don't have any opinions until I see them play.

Also, to clear up any confusion, I said depressing in response to Aurgasm's statement that they would suck. Not that they have been depressing. I will make sure and elaborate in the future.

HotHamWater
08-20-2012, 12:23 PM
And I think UNM will be picked 3rd in the Mountain West this year, behind UNLV and San Diego State. Also really hoping that Steve Alford can pull a minor miracle and sign Aaron Gordon for the 2013 class. I'm pretty sure he's one of Arizona's top priorities (maybe THE priority), as well.

Gribbz
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't care about where they rank a recruiting class because that does not mean with will necessarily win. Like I said, I hope that they do, but someones idea about how good recruiting class doesn't mean anything to me because of other factors. Transitioning from high school to college his a difficult thing for a lot of athletes, and no one can predict how players are going to react. Also, from being part of the Arizona athletic department I know how the basketball team (and most others for that matter) handle their "free" time. That makes me hesitant to just dub them good before they have done anything to prove it. I am not saying I think they will or won't be good. All I am saying is that I don't have any opinions until I see them play.

Also, to clear up any confusion, I said depressing in response to Aurgasm's statement that they would suck. Not that they have been depressing. I will make sure and elaborate in the future.

Oh, I'm definitely aware of how the players spend their free time. Hell, we kicked arguably our best recruit off the team this past season. Like I said, I know all of the aforementioned factors don't automatically make you a Final Four team, but I'm excited and have high hopes for the season.

And I think UNM will be picked 3rd in the Mountain West this year, behind UNLV and San Diego State. Also really hoping that Steve Alford can pull a minor miracle and sign Aaron Gordon for the 2013 class. I'm pretty sure he's one of Arizona's top priorities (maybe THE priority), as well.

Hopefully we schedule UNM in the near future now that Olson has retired. In the Pit, preferably.

GuyInTucson
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Very impressive......against who?

They've been playing exhibition ball in the Bahamas and he has taken in the system very well. He knows his assignments and already has a grasp of the playbook. Neither Josiah Turner or Momo Jones could do that and each of them spent a full season (two in Momo's case) at Arizona.

When I say "impressive" it's not a reference to how they are performing against other competition, but how they have reacted and adjusted this offseason.

For example, Parrom couldn't score 20 points in a game at the rec last year let alone a real game, but he has a completely different demeanor and has carried the scoring load in exhibition play. Physically speaking and mentally, he wasn't there a season ago. He is now, though.

Lyons it's about how he has transitioned into the program and system. Is he trying to do too much with the ball? How is his chemistry with his teammates? Etc.

kneuller
08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
I expect UNLV to win the Mountain West with Mike Moser and Anthony Bennett being possibly one of the best big man duos in the country.

GuyInTucson
08-20-2012, 01:34 PM
And, I mean, Kyryl isn't on the team anymore. That makes Arizona better already.

Aurgasm
08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Sarcasm?

yes, Zona is going to be great

I expect Arizona to compete with UCLA and Cal for the conference title.

as do I

You're the worst UA alum I've ever ran across... well, no, they're some real trash over at PGU, but still. Have some faith. Josiah and fuckstick have left and hopefully they brought their bongs with them.

Chillzzz
08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
UCLA is going to stuggle with keeping their front line (Joshua Smith/Tony Parker) out of Diddy Riese, keeping Shabazz eligable, and making the Wear twins more watchable. If they can do all those things they should win the conference but Zona should be able to compete with their front court. Kaleb T, B Ashley, Garrett, and Chol are going to be a rotation that can make some noise, not to mention Hill and Nick Johnson running on the wings. Sad that Turner could never get his head on straight or this team could have been making a final four run.

tyles
08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Last year, a bunch of Kentucky fans gave me shit for wearing my KU shirt at the campgrounds last year... and then they said nicely "but it was a great game." One of my favorite memories of camping at Coachella last year. I hope we do well last year, but we lost to the French national team in an exhibition, so I'm not sure this is going to be nearly as good as last year.

GuyInTucson
08-23-2012, 01:21 PM

He's not going to Arizona or UNM.

HotHamWater
08-23-2012, 02:25 PM
He's not going to Arizona or UNM.

I've always thought Washington was the leader. Who the fuck knows, though. He could do more thinking and his interests and priorities could change.

Gribbz
08-23-2012, 02:31 PM
UCLA is going to stuggle with keeping their front line (Joshua Smith/Tony Parker) out of Diddy Riese, keeping Shabazz eligable, and making the Wear twins more watchable. If they can do all those things they should win the conference but Zona should be able to compete with their front court. Kaleb T, B Ashley, Garrett, and Chol are going to be a rotation that can make some noise, not to mention Hill and Nick Johnson running on the wings. Sad that Turner could never get his head on straight or this team could have been making a final four run.

Josh Smith is such an enigma. Smith's weight is ultimately on him, but Ben Howland's laid back demeanor/style of coaching certainly isn't helping Smith develop. So much potential.

GuyInTucson
08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I've always thought Washington was the leader. Who the fuck knows, though. He could do more thinking and his interests and priorities could change.

It would be nice to get Gordon at Arizona, but I think he sees the young big men and realizes he would be more of a focal point at UW. If I had to guess, Arizona's class ends up being a trio of Elliot Pitts, Keith Frazier and Rondae Jefferson. They would take Gordon for sure, but I feel they are prioritizing other targets at this point in time.

HotHamWater
08-24-2012, 05:15 AM
I know that Gordon is actually seriously considering UNM, so I'm holding out a little hope for that. He has a good relationship with Steve Alford and the rest of the coaching staff, I guess he likes the opportunity that UNM gave to his brother, and he would definitely be the focal point of the entire team right away. He can get to the NBA from UNM, so that shouldn't be a big factor. He'll get to the NBA, and probably be a high draft pick, wherever he goes.

But, yeah, I'm expecting Washington until proven otherwise.

flea73
08-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Josh Smith is such an enigma. Smith's weight is ultimately on him, but Ben Howland's laid back demeanor/style of coaching certainly isn't helping Smith develop. So much potential.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen laid back demeanor/style of coaching in reference to Howland.

Seems to me the real issue here is Smith's own drive/desire/will (or lack thereof) to put in the work above and beyond the bare minimum. I try to stay objective, but Smith is an idiot if he thought that going home and sitting on his ass last summer was going to do anything other than derail his progression as a player.

Gribbz
08-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen laid back demeanor/style of coaching in reference to Howland.

You missed that article about the players rolling balls the night before practice? Amongst other things? Howland almost got canned for his "hands off" approach. It's clear that discipline isn't his forte. Like I said though, it IS ultimately on Smith.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html

GuyInTucson
08-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I know that Gordon is actually seriously considering UNM, so I'm holding out a little hope for that. He has a good relationship with Steve Alford and the rest of the coaching staff, I guess he likes the opportunity that UNM gave to his brother, and he would definitely be the focal point of the entire team right away. He can get to the NBA from UNM, so that shouldn't be a big factor. He'll get to the NBA, and probably be a high draft pick, wherever he goes.

But, yeah, I'm expecting Washington until proven otherwise.

I was told over the weekend that Arizona is back in the picture with Gordon but it is currently 60/40 in favor of UW.

GuyInTucson
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Here are the polls - http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/polls

AP TOP 25

RK TEAM POINTS
1 Indiana (43) 1592
2 Louisville (20) 1568
3 Kentucky (2) 1453
4 Ohio State 1292
5 Michigan 1290
6 North Carolina State 1270
7 Kansas 1210
8 Duke 1094
9 Syracuse 1062
10 Florida 936
11 North Carolina 904
12 Arizona 902
13 UCLA 840
14 Michigan State 789
15 Missouri 664
16 Creighton 622
17 Memphis 539
18 UNLV 488
19 Baylor 486
20 San Diego State 463
21 Gonzaga 384
22 Notre Dame 297
23 Wisconsin 285
24 Cincinnati 120
25 Florida State 101

COACHES TOP 25

RK TEAM POINTS
1 Indiana (21) 761
2 Louisville (5) 738
3 Kentucky (5) 718
4 Ohio State 617
5 Michigan 605
6 North Carolina State 581
7 Kansas 563
8 Duke 516
9 Syracuse 502
10 Florida 422
11 Arizona 411
12 North Carolina 401
13 UCLA 396
14 Michigan State 391
15 Creighton 325
16 Memphis 307
17 Missouri 289
18 Baylor 266
19 UNLV 203
20 San Diego St 196
21 Wisconsin 191
22 Gonzaga 166
23 Notre Dame 122
24 Florida State 61
24 Texas 61

flea73
10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm happy to see both of my teams (San Diego St. and UCLA) with pre-season rankings. Though for UCLA between the NCAA investigation (that's dragging on way too long) and now Shabazz's injury it's potentially going to be a long season.

GuyInTucson
10-26-2012, 03:07 PM
The Shabazz injury is concerning for sure. He's one of the most dynamic freshmen in the country and could wind up beiing their leading scorer. His game is ridiculous. I watched him in the Vegas AAU tournaments in 2011 and his athleticism and motor are off the chart.

Aurgasm
10-31-2012, 07:22 AM
AZ hoops start tonight, hookers!

GuyInTucson
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.131.843.403/p843x403/293816_10151216669754501_817769657_n.jpg

Gribbz
11-01-2012, 10:09 AM
ZEUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!

Gribbz
11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
/Arizona circle jerk

GuyInTucson
11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
It never ends.

Deegleberry
11-11-2012, 07:50 PM
As a Villanova grad, I'm sad this is the last season of so many Big East founders. I don't want to play SMU and Boise St. They aren't even in the eastern time zone.

Also, our team hasn't been good since Scottie Reynolds if anyone on here can even remember who that is.

SepaGroove
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Go Bruins.

gaypalmsprings
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I watched Michigan State beat Kansas & Duke beat Kentucky last night in Atlanta. I've always wanted to see Duke - they are usually a powerhouse. The Kentucky fans sure love to drink! This is my macho sports week - NASCAR on Sunday, College Basketball on Tuesday, and NFL this Sunday. I better check to see if I'm still gay.

GuyInTucson
11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Arizona is going to win the national championship and everyone here will watch in awe.

Gribbz
11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Colorado upsets #16 Baylor.

flea73
11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes Pac-12!

stochasticism
11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Arizona is going to win the national championship and everyone here will watch in awe.

Florida will beat Arizona on Dec. 15.

GuyInTucson
11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Florida will beat Arizona on Dec. 15.

False.

GuyInTucson
11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Good news for UCLA fans -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/11/16/ncaa-reinstates-ucla-shabazz-muhammad/1710617/

7:31PM EST November 16. 2012 - The NCAA announced Friday that star UCLA freshman forward Shabazz Muhammad has been reinstated to play immediately for the Bruins after the university "acknowledged amateurism violations" in an appeal to the association.

In a statement, the NCAA wrote, "The university required the student-athlete to miss 10 percent of the season (three games) and repay approximately $1,600 in impermissible benefits. The NCAA agreed the actions taken by the university were sufficient. Because Muhammad has already sat out three games, he is now eligible to compete."

Minutes after the announcement, Muhammad tweeted through his Twitter account @phenom15balla, "#FREE".

In addition to what the NCAA has called other "pending issues," the association has spent more than a year investigation three unofficial recruiting visits Muhammad made to two schools – North Carolina and Duke – that were paid for by North Carolina-based financial adviser Ben Lincoln.

The Muhammads have claimed that Lincoln has been a family friend for five years. And Muhammad's attorney, Robert Orr, contends that Lincoln sought approval from the NCAA before paying for Muhammad's travel and lodging.

Orr also said that Muhammad had no knowledge of who paid for the trips and that his father, Ron Holmes, completed all requisite paperwork related to Lincoln paying for the recruiting visits.

Orr told USA TODAY Sports that the NCAA has requested thousands of pages of documents, including years worth of bank records and credit card statements. He said that Muhammad conducted two interviews with NCAA enforcement staff and that Holmes and Muhammad's mother, Faye Muhammad, interviewed with enforcement officials in early November.

"It is worse than an IRS audit," Orr told USA TODAY Sports in a telephone interview Thursday. "You at least have rights with the IRS audit. I'm waiting for the press to realize that the system, which is supposed to be for the best interest of these young men and women, absolutely abuses them. It is just outrageous."

In an email to USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday, NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn elaborated on the timeline of the investigation. She said that the NCAA staff requested specific documents on July 31 but did not receive the majority of requested documents until September 25, followed by more information on October 10. She added that the NCAA staff was granted access to what she called "additional critical information" Nov. 1

Hours before UCLA opened its season Nov. 9, the NCAA ruled Muhammad ineligible because of what it called a violation of amateurism rules.

During Muhammad's recruitment, the NCAA informed schools recruiting Muhammad that there may be unresolved issues that would warrant further investigation, according to two college coaches familiar with Muhammad's recruitment. Some schools softened their recruitment or backed off almost entirely.
For UCLA, Muhammad, who played for Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas, represents the crown jewel of a sterling recruiting class assembled to help lift coach Ben Howland's program back to national prominence. Greg Anthony, a college basketball analyst for CBS Sports who was born and raised in Las Vegas, told USA TODAY Sports that Muhammad is a "once-in-a-generation talent."

The following is the full NCAA statement:

The NCAA and UCLA have resolved the eligibility case of Shabazz Muhammad. UCLA acknowledged amateurism violations occurred and asked the NCAA on Friday afternoon to reinstate Muhammad. The university required the student-athlete to miss 10 percent of the season (three games) and repay approximately $1,600 in impermissible benefits. The NCAA agreed the actions taken by the university were sufficient. Because Muhammad has already sat out three games, he is now eligible to compete.

According to the facts of the case, which were agreed upon by the university and the NCAA staff, Muhammad accepted travel and lodging during unofficial visits to member schools. NCAA rules, which member schools create, state that student-athletes cannot receive benefits based on their athletic ability. NCAA amateurism rules are in place so that when student-athletes step onto the court, they are competing against other student-athletes who have met the same standards.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete's eligibility be reinstated. The NCAA staff reviews each student-athlete reinstatement request individually based on its own merits and set of specific facts.

flea73
11-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm doing my happy dance right now!

HotHamWater
11-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I think that's good news for college basketball fans, in general. It's always nice when the top prospects actually get to play.

From the limited amount of times I saw Shabazz play, he looked very athletic but raw. I think he'll overpower opposing guards, but his shot may be a little inconsistent.

bmack86
11-16-2012, 04:22 PM
We'll see on Monday.

GuyInTucson
11-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm surprised there isn't at least one comment about UNM's victory over UConn from Tommy.

HotHamWater
11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
UNM is a better team than is UConn, so it's not like there's an upset I have to gloat about.

The Lobos still have a ton to work on if they're going to compete with UNLV and San Diego State for the MWC title. They're certainly capable of it, though. Their big men need to work on not putting the ball on the floor whenever they touch it. Also, the offense is a bit inefficient right now. It's either a 3-pointer, or drive and hope to get fouled. They're a TOUGH team, though, which is the Alford way. They definitely don't lack effort.

Honestly, I think UConn will probably struggle in Big East play. They don't have much of an inside game, and the guards are erratic. I would like to this this is a resume type of win for UNM, but I don't see it. Davidson has been UNM's best win so far this season.

Gribbz
11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Potential upset in the making. Butler up by 19 in the 2nd vs. North Carolina.

HotHamWater
11-20-2012, 05:13 PM
That wouldn't be an upset. The only thing that would be an upset is HOW Butler is winning, not that they are.

I'll be honest, the level of play in college basketball pretty much sucks this season. Not one team sticks out. This is going to be another ugly NCAA Tournament.

Gribbz
11-20-2012, 05:16 PM
That wouldn't be an upset. The only thing that would be an upset is HOW Butler is winning, not that they are.

An unranked team beating the #9 team in the country isn't an upset? Okay.

HotHamWater
11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
An unranked team beating the #9 team in the country isn't an upset? Okay.

It really isn't. North Carolina is WAY too high at #9. I picked Butler to win this game coming in. That's the nature of this college basketball this season. There are like 40+ decent team just all bunched together.

Aurgasm
11-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Notre Dame beats Kentucky.

Man, people say this season isnt that "great," and while I can agree with that statement I think there are a lot of really good teams that just are playing poorly. Youth, stupid games in foreign countries and outside on boats? My team holds a number 9 ranking for doing just about shit? Its just early.

Just watch this tournament be one of the best in years.

HotHamWater
11-29-2012, 05:34 PM
The Tournament will probably be great because it could be competitive and unpredictable. Poorly-played close games are still exciting, I suppose.

BlueDevil50
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Figures that I'd be the one to bring some sense into this thread. Duke's just knocking all the other contenders off the block already.

stochasticism
11-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Figures that I'd be the one to bring some sense into this thread. Duke's just knocking all the other contenders off the block already.

As much as I hate Duke I have to agree with this. I'm not sure who I would take between Duke and Indiana in a neutral site game at this moment though.

HotHamWater
11-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Just make sure they don't run into Lehigh again, you dim-witted oaf.

BlueDevil50
11-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Always living in the past...how sad Tom 2.0

Still-ill
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Florida is looking pretty good thus far, Dec. 15 should be a dandy.

GuyInTucson
11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Duke shouldn't be taken seriously until they sack up and play a road game out west again.

stochasticism
11-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Florida is looking pretty good thus far, Dec. 15 should be a dandy.

As a Florida fan I am very much looking forward to that game. I don't think Marquette and Wisconsin has told us a lot about the team. That game certainly will.

Gribbz
11-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I might be in the first row/on the floor for that game. I'll be there regardless though.

BlueDevil50
12-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Duke shouldn't be taken seriously until they sack up and play a road game out west again.

Sure...cuz playing the toughest schedule isn't good enough.

Gribbz
12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mfBVU.png

Chillzzz
12-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Mark Lyons was HUGE!!!! Clutch mode. Two great games yesterday.

BlueDevil50
12-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Jabari Parker is going to DUKE!

HotHamWater
12-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Good get for the dookies. He'll fit in well over there. They have a really strong team coming back, and they'll be adding Rodney Hood, Parker, and Matt Jones to an experienced group. Andre Dawkins is also returning after sitting out this year. Damn, heh.

I'm mostly interested to see where Andrew Wiggins lands. The favorites look to be Kentucky, North Carolina, and Florida State. This guy appears to be the absolute real deal. Possibly the best prospect since LeBron. Not a guarantee of future success, but he's good enough to be considered in that company.

Miroir Noir
12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
My Facebook feed is filled with crushed Y alums who thought they were seriously in this.

GuyInTucson
12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Good get for Duke. Interesting to see if he can continue playing at a high level coming off that stress fracture.

I'm hearing that Arizona is feeling more and more confident in Aaron Gordon.

BlueDevil50
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Good get for the dookies. He'll fit in well over there. They have a really strong team coming back, and they'll be adding Rodney Hood, Parker, and Matt Jones to an experienced group. Andre Dawkins is also returning after sitting out this year. Damn, heh.

I'm mostly interested to see where Andrew Wiggins lands. The favorites look to be Kentucky, North Carolina, and Florida State. This guy appears to be the absolute real deal. Possibly the best prospect since LeBron. Not a guarantee of future success, but he's good enough to be considered in that company.

While reading this, I kept waiting for the punchline but it never came. Well said and very true.

fiopadp7791
12-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Tubby's Gophers have only 1 loss so far- Duke. I don't even think they played all that bad in that game. They just couldn't make any crucial stops down the stretch (as you fb friends know I'm Tubby's biggest critic, so I'm not being a homer when I make these comments). We'll find out how good or bad they are pretty fast. The early part of the Big Ten schedule is brutal- Of their 1st 5 conference games- 4 of them are aginst Michigan St, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. If they go 3-2 or even 2-3 in that stretch, it should at least get a little easier after for them to go on a run.

ods..
12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
SHABAZZ!!!!!

vulcandeathgrip
12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Yeah that Shabazz kid looks pretty good.

bmack86
12-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Looking forward to all the comments about how Mizzou was obviously over ranked and how they lost it for themselves and how UCLA didn't earn the win.

Still-ill
12-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Not true, Mizzou is very good, but UCLA is one of the 5 most talented teams in College basketball. They've been a mess so far, and if they were to of played my beloved Wildcats even a month ago, the walk-ons would have seen some time at the end of the game. Now, I'm glad we have someone else to vie for the Pac12 regular season title. Also, UCLA was favored in the game, so obviously this shouldn't be considered an upset (even though to the naked eye it seems to be one).

Bud Luster
12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
UCLA is one of the 5 most talented teams in College basketball.

I don't buy this. San Diego State beat them solidly. Jamal Franklin handled Shabazz no problem. I know, tough to compare a freshman with a Jr.

Still-ill
12-29-2012, 03:57 PM
No offense to the talented Mr. Franklin, but Shabbaz shot 7-12 that night, and that was when he was a tad overweight. So at the end of the day, they probably didn't feed him enough that night. I didn't see the game, but I do know how difficult it is to get an open shot on SDSU from the U of A game.

fiopadp7791
12-31-2012, 09:52 AM
1st litmus test for Tubby's Gophers happens today. They play T-to-the-Izzo today. Sparty Jones owns the Gophers, but this year is the Gophers best chance to beat them. Gophers 1st 5 conference games (I have the order mixed up)- Michigan St today, Northwestern, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois. If they just go 2-3 in that stretch I'll be happy.

fiopadp7791
01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Next 3 games for Tubby's Gophers- At Illinois tomorrow (Wed), at Indiana, hone vs Michigan. Please just don't embarass yourselves

Chillzzz
01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Yikes! Big 10 is so solid this year.

fiopadp7791
01-08-2013, 09:00 PM
It appears so, but what matters is March. Duke looks head and shoulders the best right now (sucks to say that...)

Chillzzz
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Agreed, but it's early and the tournament is about who's hot and match ups. ACC is not as strong as it usually is so it's not out of the question for Duke to go undefeated. Indiana and Kansas are not that far behind Duke anyway.

BlueDevil50
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Less than a week til I go to my holy grail, Cameron Indoor Stadium! I finally get to see my Dukies play on their home court next Thursday against Georgia Tech!

bmack86
01-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Not true, Mizzou is very good, but UCLA is one of the 5 most talented teams in College basketball. They've been a mess so far, and if they were to of played my beloved Wildcats even a month ago, the walk-ons would have seen some time at the end of the game. Now, I'm glad we have someone else to vie for the Pac12 regular season title. Also, UCLA was favored in the game, so obviously this shouldn't be considered an upset (even though to the naked eye it seems to be one).

Sorry, wasn't clear there. I'm a UCLA alum and a big fan. It just seems like every time they have a good game people disparage them and say that it was a fluke. I even remember hearing that crap in the Farmar/Westbrook days.

flea73
01-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Sorry, wasn't clear there. I'm a UCLA alum and a big fan. It just seems like every time they have a good game people disparage them and say that it was a fluke. I even remember hearing that crap in the Farmar/Westbrook days.

Bryan the fan comments are even worse after a game like the Stanford one. Yes it was a pretty boring game and yes it was slow/ugly but they won and people were acting like they'd gotten blown out by 20+ points.

fiopadp7791
01-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Indiana is putting such a thorough ass-kicking on my beloved Gophers... I'm just in awe of how efficient they are on both ends of the court... Jesus. I just hope my Gophers regroup. Michigan comes to town next.

bmack86
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
UCLA's won 9 in a row now, 4-0 in Pac-12 play. Both Utah and Colorado sounded like they fought really hard (I just listen to the games on radio since DirecTv are jackasses and won't grab the Pac-12 network.)

When are we getting back into the top 25, damnit?

IceyHotshot
01-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Might after this week. We had a fair amount of votes last week.

IceyHotshot
01-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh and re: UCLA fan comments, I hate that Bruinsnation is the big UCLA blog. Those guys are all a bunch of negative assholes. 80% of their readers want to fire Howland.

fiopadp7791
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
And now Michigan goes down. The Gophers play them Thursday. The Gophers got killed in the first half against Indiana, but fought back hard in the 2nd half to make it a game. The Big Ten will be a dog fight into March, but if Indiana plays the way they did yesterday I think they win the conference.

hawkingvsreeve
01-14-2013, 12:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLGKEfEiOm0

Hot.

flea73
01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
UCLA's won 9 in a row now, 4-0 in Pac-12 play. Both Utah and Colorado sounded like they fought really hard (I just listen to the games on radio since DirecTv are jackasses and won't grab the Pac-12 network.)

When are we getting back into the top 25, damnit?

This week, #24 in the AP.

GuyInTucson
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
This week, #24 in the AP.

Three Pac-12 teams ranked in the AP poll. Things are looking better for the conference.

flea73
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I am not looking forward to the Oregon-UCLA game on Saturday, but at least it's a home game.

GuyInTucson
01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Does UCLA play Oregon on the road this year? I think UCLA will handle them at home, but up in Eugene will be tough if they travel there.

flea73
01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Nope thank god. The next 2 weeks are key in my opinion. The Oregon schools this week at home and the Arizona schools next week on the road.

HotHamWater
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Why am I not sold on Shabazz Muhammad as a top-flight NBA prospect? He's a 2-guard who can score, and that's really all I've seen from him. A lot of 2-guards are great scorers. I don't see anything else that justifies the draft hype.

flea73
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
I definitely can't talk about that. I've never understood why a lot of players have been drafted in the first place. Seems to me that NBA scouts do a pretty mediocre job with talent evaluation.

GuyInTucson
01-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Shabazz has ridiculous athleticism. In high school and AAU, he could take anyone off the dribble one-on-one and that will come with time at the higher levels of competition. He has impressive shooting range and he is a solid rebounder for his size. Most people who scouted him wondered if he and Ben Howland were a good match because Howland has gained a reputation recently of running a slower offense than advertised and Shabazz excels in an up-tempo game. Shabazz is the type of player who will score and usually do so efficiently for a player of his size. I can totally understand what NBA Scouts see in him because he has a lot of tools to work with. Under the right coach, his ceiling is really, really high.

HotHamWater
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Shabazz has ridiculous athleticism. In high school and AAU, he could take anyone off the dribble one-on-one and that will come with time at the higher levels of competition. He has impressive shooting range and he is a solid rebounder for his size. Most people who scouted him wondered if he and Ben Howland were a good match because Howland has gained a reputation recently of running a slower offense than advertised and Shabazz excels in an up-tempo game. Shabazz is the type of player who will score and usually do so efficiently for a player of his size. I can totally understand what NBA Scouts see in him because he has a lot of tools to work with. Under the right coach, his ceiling is really, really high.

I know he does some impressive things. I just think that, at that position, teams could find a player that's not all that far from Muhammad's level somewhere in the 20's. Unless he could be as good as Kobe or Wade (a combo guard who can handle the ball AND make other people better) I see no reason why he should be considered for the #1 pick.

bmack86
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
How about letting him develop a bit throughout this season and hopefully a few more before making such calls?

HotHamWater
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
How about letting him develop a bit throughout this season and hopefully a few more before making such calls?

Love that wishful thinking.

He's absolutely a lottery pick, but I think late lottery. I see him letting people down if he's a top 2 or 3 pick.

fiopadp7791
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
And Wisconsin beats Indiana tonight. The Big Ten might be as deep as it's been since the mid-late 90s. Michigan-Minnesota Thursday.

fiopadp7791
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Duke Vitale is calling the Gophers-Michigan game tonight. How often does he ever leave Cameron-Indoor?

Gribbz
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Tim Hardaway Jr. is on fire. 12 points with 10 left in the first...

bmack86
01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Bruins have won 10 straight. They played some alternately explosive and sloppy ball tonight, but once they drew ahead they never lost the lead. Fun one.

ods..
01-17-2013, 07:19 PM

Word.

vulcandeathgrip
01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
http://youtu.be/-p-Tb29zAzQ

Aussie represent

bmack86
01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

#6? So WHAT!

That was such a fun game.

bmack86
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Sure, Arizona State is playing better than UCLA, but the refs aren't calling a single fucking foul against ASU. This is getting ridiculous.

fiopadp7791
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Last night, Tubby's Gophers somehow beat Indiana, and tonight, Penn St, who hasn't won a Big Ten game yet, beat Michigan. Dare I say that the Big Ten is as deep as it's been since probably the mid-90s? The Gophers play Purdue next, and that game is a coin-flip at best. This is a crazy year.

But! As much as it pains me to say it- if Dook gets Kelly back healthy by the tournament, they're gonna win. That guy is really f'n good.

fiopadp7791
03-02-2013, 03:33 PM
This Duke-Miami game is a final 4 preview. I know I'm not going out on a limb with that. Duke has Kelly back, and this game has been back and forth, but really well-played on both sides.

BlueDevil50
03-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Duke sure looks like a whole different team when Kelly's back. Needless to say, I'm beyond excited for this tournament.

fiopadp7791
03-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Oh Gophers... who are you? You're proving that RPI and SOS are as fraudulent as BCS. You don't deserve a trip to the dance. 8th in the Big Ten with a sub-500 record should not get you in. This loss to Nebraska tonight is really damaging

HotHamWater
03-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah that shit was embarrassing. Tubby is terrible. They were down by 3 with a little over 30 seconds left, and the bright idea was to keep passing it along the perimeter, kill time, and shoot a contested 3-pointer? Why not go for a quick two and put the pressure on Nebraska to hit their free throws?

Minnesota probably shouldn't be in the NCAA Tournament, but they're still in good shape because the at-large pool is downright awful. If you look at every other bubble team, pretty much all of them have similar or worse losses.

BlueDevil50
03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
If anyone is interested in a bracket pool, I'm running one on Yahoo for $20 a bracket. Pay outs to the top three. Just give me your email and I'll add you!

mountmccabe
03-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Michigan-Indiana is tied at 64 with 2:43 left.

fiopadp7791
03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Weird seedings. I think seeds 5-12 were balled together with the thought process there isnt much difference in the talent level of those teams. I feel bad for UNC and Oregon though. They got jobbed with their seedings

bmack86
03-17-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't expect a ton out of UCLA now that Jordan Adams is out. We put up a decent fight against Oregon (who, agreed, should have received a better seed) but we're missing a good defender and a great scorer. Really bummed that his season ended that way.

fiopadp7791
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't expect a ton out of UCLA now that Jordan Adams is out. We put up a decent fight against Oregon (who, agreed, should have received a better seed) but we're missing a good defender and a great scorer. Really bummed that his season ended that way.

The way the Gophers have underachieved and sputtered down the stretch, it's a coin-flip game. The Gophers are capable of anything... good or bad. They've beaten some of the best teams in the country but have also lost to Northwestern and Nebraska. And lately theyve been a trainwreck

fiopadp7791
03-17-2013, 04:12 PM
I created a free bracket challenge via yahoo. For the pride and bragging rights of the boardies.
Here's the info-
http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1
Click "Join Group"
Group ID# 89167
Password: coache11a (same as Tinychat)

Use your board name as a part of your bracket name.

bmack86
03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
The way the Gophers have underachieved and sputtered down the stretch, it's a coin-flip game. The Gophers are capable of anything... good or bad. They've beaten some of the best teams in the country but have also lost to Northwestern and Nebraska. And lately theyve been a trainwreck

If Adams were still with us, I'd give it to us easy, but without him it's going to be a struggle. But who knows. I was fairly impressed with Norman Powell's showing yesterday, so maybe with a few days of constant practice he can get more into a groove with the team.

mountmccabe
03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Michigan starts off at home against South Dakota State.

Michigan State starts off at the Palace at Auburn Hills against Valparaiso.

These are both very generous.

Arizona starts off against Belmont in Salt Lake City. Which seems quite reasonable, too.

fiopadp7791
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
The ESPN 30 for 30 special on Jim Valvano and the 30-year anniversary of the 1983 NC State National Championship team was really good. They do show the ESPY speech within the 2-hour documentary, but it was really well done. I've never been a fan of NC State (unless they're playing Duke lol), but it's a cool story and the clips they have of Jimmy V are pretty cool. I definitely recommend watching it.

bmack86
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I think I'm pulling for Arizona to make it the furthest of the Pac 12 teams, although Cal has the talent to really go far.

kneuller
03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
My VCU Rams are taking it back to the Final Four this year!

Gribbz
03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I think I'm pulling for Arizona to make it the furthest of the Pac 12 teams, although Cal has the talent to really go far.

Atta boy. I have a feeling the UCLA/Minnesota will come down to the wire. Also, extremely happy I have Thursday off. Nothing like beer, brackets, and basketball all day long.

Bud Luster
03-18-2013, 06:38 AM
It's too bad the best team in Pac 12 is only about as good as the 3rd or 4th best team in the Mountain West.

HotHamWater
03-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Fuck you.

It's too bad the best team in Pac 12 is only about as good as the 3rd or 4th best team in the Mountain West.

I don't think that stuff matters in a single-elimination tournament.

Bud Luster
03-18-2013, 06:46 AM
I don't think that stuff matters in a single-elimination tournament.

It really doesn't matter in the tournament. I just want to take the opportunity to gloat a bit while I still can. New Mexico, UNLV, and San Diego State cant really continue to compete for recruits against the likes of UCLA for much longer, can they?

Somewhat Damaged
03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
I hope I reverse-jinxed Arizona by picking them to lose in the 1st round.

tyles
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Nice to see KU getting that #1 seed. I don't have as strong a confidence in this team as I had in years past, but they are my team all the same. This year's March Madness is going to be a lot of fun to watch!

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!

fiopadp7791
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
I created a free bracket challenge via yahoo. For the pride and bragging rights of the boardies.
Here's the info-
Click "Join Group"
Group ID# 89167

Surprised more of you haven't joined. If you do internet bracket pick'ems you know you'll do one through yahoo anyway.

fiopadp7791
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
It really doesn't matter in the tournament. I just want to take the opportunity to gloat a bit while I still can. New Mexico, UNLV, and San Diego State cant really continue to compete for recruits against the likes of UCLA for much longer, can they?

Has New Mexico or VCU ever been able to compete with UCLA or UNC in recruiting players? Doubtful.
I figured the reason your "mid-major" or non-BCS conference schools... or just any school not viewed as a dynasty school (Kentucky, UCLA, UNC, Duke, etc) get 2nd/3rd-tier recruits. But you know what those recruits do? They stay in school all 4 years. They develop their games. They get stronger. They play smarter. Their teams have continuity and they play better as a whole, because they have played together for 3-4 years. And that's why more and more in the past 10-15 years these schools go deeper in the dance. It's not shocking anymore how good these teams do.

I mean look at Kentucky. They can keep getting the best freshman every year. But if they keep leaving after one year, eventually it'll catch up to them. It's also why Wisconsin year after year maintains their success level with under the radar recruits. It's guys that fit Bo Ryan's system and the players rarely ever leave school early. As where Tom Izzo at Michigan St is constantly having to re-load with fresh recruits.

fiopadp7791
03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Here's the info-
Click "Join Group"
Group ID# 89167

Bump... because I'm not sure if you guys are slackers or cowards

unit300021
03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Just joined. Last year 3 of my 4 final four teams including my two championship teams were all out by the sweet 16. I have to do better this year right?

santasutt
03-20-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm in.

fiopadp7791
03-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Here's the info-
Click "Join Group"
Group ID# 89167

Shutting up after this. Please join.
http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup

Somewhat Damaged
03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I got in the first day you posted this. I don't follow the college game, though, so I'm probably at a severe disadvantage.

cansei de ser sexme
03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Got tickets to see Cal in the first round tomorrow.... beyond excited.

Gribbz
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
More or less a home game for Cal. Same opponent as well. I think I have them advancing in 2 of my brackets...

fiopadp7791
03-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Here's the info-
Click "Join Group"
Group ID# 89167

Last chance y'all. Good luck with your picks

fiopadp7791
03-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Here's the info-
Click "Join Group"
Group ID# 89167

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup

'Cause it's the last call... for alcohol... for my ninjas... so get your ass up off the wall - Kanye West

Games start in 1 hour. Last chance to join...

unit300021
03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Not a bad showing for the Pac-12 today with two 12 seeds advancing. I thought Cal was going to blow that one at the end.

suprefan
03-21-2013, 06:54 PM
UCLA is going down tomorrow though. Shouldve given Oregon the # 6.

theklein25
03-21-2013, 07:02 PM
So glad I picked Oregon and Cal to advance. UCLA vs Florida round 4 coming soon

fiopadp7791
03-21-2013, 07:08 PM
The way the selection committee seeded this tournament really weird. It's almost as if they viewed seeds 5 through 12 as equal, and just matched teams up without regard to the seeding. This year a 12 beating a 5 isnt an upset the way these teams on paper seem pretty even. Yeah VCU is destroying Akron, but Akron had their starting PG arrested a few weeks ago and they're banged up.

As for UCLA, the Gophers are playing so bad right now and Tubby doesn't put them in a position to win. The Gophers are the most up and down team maybe in all of college bball this year. So no one knows which team will show up. Its a coinflip game for that reason

bmack86
03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
That plus UCLA is running a 7 man rotation rather than the 8, missing our #2 scorer and generally playing very hit or miss. I'm pulling for the Bruins, but who knows.

fiopadp7791
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Harvard just won't go away. Wondering what Tommy's stress level is right now? Mine will be worse when the Gophers play tomorrow, but still... I keep waiting for UNM to impose their will and Harvard hits a big 3 or penetrates and gets a big hoop.

fiopadp7791
03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Is this seriously happening? UNM is gonna lose... if you guys picked Arizona to go far you're smelling like a rose

santasutt
03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Thank you, Davidson, for the royal choke down the stretch.

Oh yeah, way to go UNM.

suprefan
03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Is this seriously happening? UNM is gonna lose... if you guys picked Arizona to go far you're smelling like a rose

I got AZ to the Elite 8. Only lost 3 games today, 2 8 vs 9's and the Harvard UNM. Bracket still intact nicely.

Somewhat Damaged
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Haha, I logged into my Yahoo bracket only to discover that the fucking thing didn't save for some reason. I'm watching solely for fun now. Even better. (I wasn't gonna win any money anyway.)

Hope you underestimated Arizona, Chris.

fiopadp7791
03-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Thank you, Davidson, for the royal choke down the stretch.

Oh yeah, way to go UNM.

Did Davidson choke as much as Marquette just went on an unbelievable flurry? They hit what? 4 3-pointers on 4 consecutive possessions? That last turnover ddid kill Davidson though...

unit300021
03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow I hope no one had UNM going far. I got three loses already but thankfully I didn't have any getting passed the next round anyways. And yeah I don't think Davidson chocked that one either.

Drewbles
03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Today was fun.
Zags looked very beatable. I always cheer against them with passion (not sure why). Wichita State can beat them. Ta Town, standup!
Pac represented well! I hope Colorado balls out vs. Illinois. UCLA vs. Minnesota should be exciting.

Check out cbssports.com to stream all the games.! It makes work much better.

Go Jayhawks!

dorkfish
03-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Hoyas coming back?

Edit: Bounce free throw followed by that alley oop dunk? My goodness.

gaypalmsprings
03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
I thought the Final 4 would include Georgetown, Liberty U, and Univ of New Mexico. Ha.

Go Duke!

unit300021
03-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Is it me or does it seem like more upsets then usual this year?

suprefan
03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Haha, I logged into my Yahoo bracket only to discover that the fucking thing didn't save for some reason. I'm watching solely for fun now. Even better. (I wasn't gonna win any money anyway.)

Hope you underestimated Arizona, Chris.

Well, I am 99.1% on my espn bracket. I have the whole east bracket perfect and nobody who I have at 8 or farther is out yet.

Is it me or does it seem like more upsets then usual this year?

There have been 3....

I wouldnt count Cal and Oregon winning their games as upsets.

theklein25
03-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Well the good news for Bruins fans is that Ben Howland is fired. Not official yet though.

Gribbz
03-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I don't know if I would call it "good news." Then again, I'm not a Bruin fan and hence don't follow the team as much as y'all. Regardless, he won't be out of work for long.

Gribbz
03-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Also, BEAR DOWN. Hopefully Iowa State pulls off the upset tomorrow morning.

tyles
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
KU to the Sweet 16 for the 7th time under Bill Self... I am loving this (didn't love that first half of yesterday's game though).

fiopadp7791
03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130327/vcu-shaka-smart/?eref=sircrc

I knew all along that he never considered Minnesota, but I thought UCLA had a legit shot at him. Shaka Smart by staying at VCU does have the opportunity to build VCU into a Gonzaga... with maybe better post-season success? He's built his program around 2nd-tier recruits that maybe be a little under-sized, but are athletic. They mature, develop, and get stronger in his system. Most importantly his players won't jump early to the NBA.

Look at the big names at UCLA- Shabazz, Love, Jrue Holiday. Those guys were blue-chip recruits but they all went pro after a year.

That and Smart can be the big fish in a small pond at VCU. He can be god there. He can do almost nothing wrong.

At UCLA it's constant pressure and scrutiny to win and win now! I can see why he'd stay. I eventually think he's waiting for Roy Williams or Coach K to retire, so he can take the Duke or UNC jobs. But until then, he'll build Gonzaga part 2.

unit300021
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Miami losing = my bracket busted. A great Ohio State Arizona game though regardless of the less then favorable outcome.

Somewhat Damaged
03-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Damn. I got to listen to the first half while I drove from work to the Jeff Mangum show. That was fun. Then I get into the venue and we're losing by, like, 6. That was a clutch 3. Oh well.

gaypalmsprings
03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Man, did you just see that Louisville player just break his leg? Then they showed the replay more than once. Sick

mountmccabe
03-31-2013, 01:51 PM
I missed it because I was in the bathroom. Got back and had no idea what happened, just saw everybody standing around crying.

mountmccabe
03-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I still have no idea how it happened.

gaypalmsprings
03-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Watch if you dare -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOg7ErDDbF0

It is gruesome, so I just gave the link, rather than posting the video.

ManImCool
03-31-2013, 02:03 PM
I wish I could unsee that. Very disturbing. I doubt it'll get replayed on TV again, at least not without one of those warnings telling those with weak stomachs should turn away. His leg crumpled like a rice stick. Yes, it's already on youtube but this is one of those things you'll regret watching once you watch it. Even though everyone says you'll regret it, you're probably curious thinking it's not that bad. It's that bad. Well it's not like facesofdeath or anything but I could have gone without seeing that.

gam3g3ni3
03-31-2013, 02:04 PM
I can't believe someone uploaded that to YouTube. Classless.

So sad. Worst sports injury I have ever seen, even worse than Shaun Livingston.

I actually started crying when I saw Patino wiping away tears. So sad.

bobert
03-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Man, did you just see that Louisville player just break his leg? Then they showed the replay more than once. Sick

Horrible. I almost threw up. I don't think they realized how gruesome it was until after the first couple replays, but I saw white bone sticking out of that kid's shin on national television.

suprefan
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM

So sad. Worst sports injury I have ever seen, even worse than Shaun Livingston.

I actually started crying when I saw Patino wiping away tears. So sad.

Wait for the gifs...

And Deadspin has the hi res version

http://deadspin.com/kevin-ware-suffered-maybe-the-most-gruesome-injury-in-t-464789219?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

gam3g3ni3
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM
I still have no idea how it happened.

He must of had something like a stress fracture. Or a tumor in his bone. Something that would wearing the structural integrity of his fibula and/or tibia.

Your leg just doesn't do that.

mountmccabe
03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Thank you, GPS. And fuck, that was awful.

Yeah, but there was no fucking way I was not going to watch it. No one, anywhere that I have seen gave any description of what happened beyond first a lot of sad faces and crying and then when I went on twitter the news that he broke his leg. Not any context. Did someone hit him with a club? Did he get kicked? Was he even in the game when it happened?

For others that were in my situation:

Kevin Ware jumped out to try and block a three-point shot and landed off-balance with all of his weight on his right leg and the tibia broke in half.

HotHamWater
03-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you, GPS. And fuck, that was awful.

Yeah, but there was no fucking way I was not going to watch it. No one, anywhere that I have seen gave any description of what happened beyond first a lot of sad faces and crying and then when I went on twitter the news that he broke his leg. Not any context. Did someone hit him with a club? Did he get kicked? Was he even in the game when it happened?

For others that were in my situation:

Kevin Ware jumped out to try and block a three-point shot and landed off-balance with all of his weight on his right leg and the tibia broke in half.

I didn't know what happened at first, either. When I saw Louisville players on the ground, I thought there was a massive collision. It turns out, they were just horrified. When CBS began to show the first replay, and I saw Kevin Ware jump in the air, I knew how it was going to end and just turned my head. I don't like watching things like that.

caeden
03-31-2013, 03:02 PM
i'm so happy i didn't see it. and i refuse to watch. way too squeamish about things like that

Gribbz
03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RactntF.png (http://imgur.com/RactntF)

@tracywolfson reports Kevin Ware told his teammates: "Don't worry about me. I'll be OK. You guys go win this thing."

mountmccabe
03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
I didn't know what happened at first, either. When I saw Louisville players on the ground, I thought there was a massive collision. It turns out, they were just horrified. When CBS began to show the first replay, and I saw Kevin Ware jump in the air, I knew how it was going to end and just turned my head. I don't like watching things like that.

I guess I didn't put two and two together fast enough to realize who was going to get hurt or where. I cringed when I saw it and have no need to see it again.

But it sounds like CBS went too far at first replaying it and going over it but then they cut back the other way and wouldn't talk about it. If I had just watched CBS (starting when I started, a bit before he was carted away) I would not have known what happened.

Gribbz
03-31-2013, 07:25 PM
I thought they made it a point to not replay it? I watched it once (live) and that was it...

Grandma
03-31-2013, 09:48 PM

oh shut the fuck up

and until someone can figure out how to slit someones throat on the court with a basketball, the malarchuk incident is still the worst non-fatal sports injury to be televised live

ENluv12
04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
That was the worst I have ever seen. I just feel so bad for him and the whole team. I wish them all the best and I hope he is able to make a full recovery.

Pixiessp
04-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I had no idea what happened either. Just saw the players crying and grimacing and saw Ware lying on the ground. I thought maybe he had stopped breathing. But when I saw Pitino crying I teared up as well. I saw the youtube video when I got home and I wish I hadn't.

hawkingvsreeve
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
From here: (http://www.salon.com/2013/03/31/will_ware_be_stuck_with_the_bill/)

Louisville sophomore Kevin Ware’s injury today in the Midwest Regional finals of the NCAA tournament will likely be remembered alongside Joe Theismann’s career-ender as one of the most tragically gruesome in sports history. But that’s not the only tragic and gruesome part of this episode, because unlike Theismann, who was working under a guaranteed contract, Ware was an NCAA athlete helping to generate millions of dollars for the NCAA, but not automatically guaranteed a four-year education scholarship. As in so many other similar cases, that means his injury in service to the NCAA’s multimillion-dollar machine could spell the end of his financial aid and massive healthcare bills to boot.

Yes, that’s right — NCAA basketball is a $780 million-a year business that makes 1 percenters out of NCAA executives, coaches, athletic directors and college administrators. Yet that same business offers relative scraps to the players who actually generate that money.

It is certainly true that Division I NCAA basketball players get athletic scholarships. However, those scholarships often do not cover the entire cost of attending college. Additionally, many are not guaranteed four-year scholarships — on the contrary, many schools refuse to offer guaranteed multi-year scholarships, and the NCAA’s big “reform” of the last few years wasn’t to mandate such a guarantee, but to merely allow it if particular schools want it.

That means that if a player like Ware gets injured while on the job at a school that doesn’t offer a multi-year scholarship, the scholarship can be — and often is — revoked.

If that isn’t bad enough, the New York Times reports that when it comes to major on-the-court injuries like the one Ware sustained, medical bills can end up being the responsibility of the student and the student’s family, rather than the NCAA or the school. Indeed, the NCAA has a Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program, but the Birmingham News reports that there is a $90,000 deductible. Worse, the Daily Caller reports that while “the NCAA has its own catastrophic injury insurance, which insures individual athletes up to $20 million … the majority (of athletes) don’t qualify.”

“If you don’t lose a limb, or motion in one of your limbs, you wouldn’t be considered catastrophically injured,” Ramogi Huma, head of the National Collegiate Players Association, told the Daily Caller. “Then it’s completely up to the school, or yourself.”

While there has been some much needed talk in the college sports world of fixing this shameful reality, and while California has recently moved some of the questions into the legislative arena, there is still stiff resistance to any kind of guarantees to players. For example, the NCAA policy merely allowing multi-year scholarships came within two university votes of being overridden. Likewise, major schools like UConn have waged fights in their state legislatures to stop bills that would protect scholarships for players injured on the job.

But even if such reforms were cemented and strengthened, the fact is that these issues cannot be fully addressed until the root problem is addressed — and that root problem is the NCAA’s refusal to give players not merely decent scholarships and solid health insurance, but also a share of the revenues those players generate.

As the civil rights historian Taylor Branch put it in his landmark analysis of the NCAA, “the real scandal is the very structure of college sports, wherein student-athletes generate billions of dollars for universities and private companies while earning nothing for themselves.” Those players are treated as worse than mere commodities — because at least commodities are given a financial value. They are treated as indentured servants, who do not get their fair share of the revenues and who can be discarded if they dare get hurt doing a job for the very school that refuses to guarantee them a full college education.

Kevin Ware was a heavily recruited basketball prospect. So, along with hoping that he fully recovers from his injury, let’s also hope that unlike so many other athletes, he was able to negotiate a guaranteed multi-year scholarship with Louisville, even though that school voted to ban multi-year scholarships (it cast such a vote, by the way, despite being the most profitable school in college basketball).

But whether or not Ware himself has some modicum of financial aid stability, his injury on the national stage serves as a reminder that too many athletes do not. And that is a wake-up call telling the game-watching audience that for all the excitement, enjoyment and heartbreak that college basketball generates, it is entertainment predicated on an immoral business model — one that must finally change.

Gribbz
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ny3FAgh.png

I can't believe the pac-12 commissioner defended this kind of behavior. What a joke.

flea73
04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I think (and hope) that there will be some backpedaling from his defense, and at the very least a firing or resignation. It's embarrassing for the conference.

canexplain
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
This Wichita and Louisville game is something else ... cr****

mountmccabe
04-08-2013, 06:33 PM
The final game is at half and Michigan is up 1. Three basketball minutes ago UM was up 12. This game is wild and crazy.

fiopadp7791
04-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Congrats Miroir Noir for winning the boardie bracket clusterfuck. And congrats to me for finishing last and not having any teams in the final 4 lol. A Heineken or frozen lemonade is your prize sir, if you can stand meeting me lol