PDA

View Full Version : Flying Lotus "Until the Quiet Comes"

Spooks
08-16-2012, 08:06 AM
I can't wait to hear this new LP! #1 most anticipated release of 2012 :thu

Pre-order for new LP here: https://bleep.com/release/38225

Vinyl - Collectors Edition
Double 180g vinyl with full colour inner sleeves, download redemption code and credit sheet in rigid gatefold sleeve, wrapped in black buckram embossed paper with tipped on cover image.

Vinyl - Standard Edition
Double vinyl with full colour inner sleeves, download redemption code and credit sheet in wide spine sleeve

Flying Lotus' fourth full length album features an all start cast including, Erykah Badu, Thom Yorke, Niki Randa, Laura Darlington and Thundercat.

A1. All In
A2. Getting There feat. Niki Randa
A3. Until The Colours Come
A4. Heave(n)
A5. Tiny Tortures
A6. All The Secrets
B1. Sultan’s Request
B2. Putty Boy Strut
B3. See Thru To U feat. Erykah Badu
B4. Until The Quiet Comes
B5. DMT Song feat. Thundercat
C1. The Nightcaller
C2. Only If You Wanna
C3. Electric Candyman feat. Thom Yorke
C4. Hunger feat. Niki Randa
D1. Phantasm feat. Laura Darlington
D2. me Yesterday//Corded
D3. Dream To Me

Since debuting in 2006 with 1983, Flying Lotus’ career has grown exponentially. Some would argue that the West Coast producer truly broke through and shed the “post-Dilla” tags two years later with an album dedicated to and named after his hometown of Los Angeles. The record showcased a forward-thinking approach to what many dubbed as the “beat scene,” wherein producers weave heady, bass-driven, and mostly instrumental efforts.

But it was truly his third full-length, 2010’s Cosmogramma, that made everyone stop for a second and reevaluate his music. Here was an album that was free-flowing and clearly dedicated to the groundbreaking jazz crafted by his gifted relatives. In particular, there’s his great aunt, Alice Coltrane, who forged a path for female musicians and just so happened to be married to jazz legend—that term might not even be strong enough—John Coltrane.

Cosmogramma also found FlyLo working with the likes of Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke and poised-to-blow-up bassist/composer Thundercat. And while FlyLo could have easily rested on his uber-original laurels, he opted to look elsewhere for inspiration on his fourth album. As he explains, he didn’t want to say the same thing twice.

Until The Quiet Comes, which drops Oct. 2, retains the jazzy, beat-heavy influences of his previous work while injecting it with strong doses of psychedelic and progressive rock. There are also plenty of bangers he crafted for the club-going sect, particularly those who show up at his concerts prepared to lose their shit as soon as his mind state-altering sounds fill the air.

At the same time, FlyLo found himself falling back in love with hip-hop thanks to some raucous youngsters. In particular, he cites Odd Future, A$AP Mob, and SpaceGhostPurrp’s Raider Klan as newfound inspiration. It’s no surprise that he’s gone on to record with guys like Hodgy Beats and Earl Sweatshirt, while it appears a collaboration with Purrp is soon-coming.

Find out about all of that and much more in the following interview, which serves as a preview of Until The Quiet Comes, a testament to his artistic vision, and a look into his personal connection to music.

First taste of goodness:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7lbY-THNHc

Interview by Andrew Martin (@Andrew_J_Martin)

Complex: What are you working on now while you get ready to push the album?

Flying Lotus: I’ve got my hands in a lot of jars. I'm kind of producing the new Thundercat stuff, kind of producing stuff for Shabazz Palaces and Azizi Gibson. Just little things here and there between records. I’m working on the music for a TV show called Cat Dick for Adult Swim. It's really silly and about a cat detective. It’s all real animals, kind of like an old detective show.

Are you doing any more tracks with Odd Future?

I'm talking with a few other dudes like Domo [Genesis] and I really want to do a track with Tyler. He's a tricky one, man, 'cause he has his hands in a lot of jars and he’s very particular about who he works with and when he works with people. We've been pals for quite some time. He knows I’m here. He knows I’m around.

What about the Weeknd? You guys played an impromptu show together recently.

Yeah, me and the Weeknd have talked a bunch about things. There are some potential ideas he had and I’m all game for it. It might be too soon to say exactly what, but I’d say we will connect on some things.

Any plans to play live again with the Infinity Band?

I’m not sure about the Infinity Band. It's really hard to get all my musicians in one space together. I feel like every time I have a time to do that show, it’s like asking and begging for favors and I hate doing that. Unfortunately, it's gotta be a bigger band than a trio. But I might do it if the situation presented itself.

What can you tell me about the new album?

I know people are looking forward to it. I think it's different than the last thing (Cosmogramma). I feel like there’s more stuff for the club in this one than the last one. But at the same time, I feel like there’s headphone music, so it helps that there’s enough of both.

How did your writing and recording process differ making Until the Quiet Comes compared to Cosmogramma?

I always try to set challenges for myself when it comes to putting records together because I don’t want to say the same things twice. So that's one of the bigger things and obviously I just want to be a better musician. With Cosmogramma, I felt I had to prove myself a little bit more and had to remove myself from the scene a little bit because people would say things about what they thought I did and their perceived idea of what I did. It’s frustrating to be lumped into categories. I felt like I had to make a statement to separate myself.

While Erykah Badu and Thom Yorke are the bigger names that appear on this album, and Yorke was on Cosmogramma as well, one constant since 1983 has been Laura Darlington. What's your connection with her?

Laura is a funny one because she embodies a part of the sound I gravitate toward a lot. It's this innocent sound and she reminds me a lot of my favorite vocalists, like a bit of Beth Gibbons, Trish Keenan, and them. Laura's got her own thing. I am a fan of folk and psychedelic music so I think she really gets that but she also gets the beat thing, too.

Getting back to Badu, is the planned joint album with her actually going to happen?

I’m not sure what’s going to happen anymore because she's so busy, but hopefully we can connect because I'm game for it. To be honest, the only thing that came out of it was the track on my album. We have drafts and sketches of things but I really don't think I can produce and direct an entire album unless we have time to be in the same space for a little while.

We would both have to find the time, and whenever the time comes for her, I’ll drop everything to make it happen. It was funny because I waited a lot and was like, "I'm going to take this track. It’s mine now." [Laughs.]

The drafts and things we did before, we worked together in the same space. It has to be that way and we have to continue that because I just can’t see myself producing her over emails, though I trust she would deliver some awesome shit.

Is that why you haven’t done a lot of full projects for other artists?

I feel like I’m getting to a place where I’m more open to that but a lot of times collaborations sound good on a blog or on paper but it all depends on the chemistry and the magic. Several artists I’ve met and talked to, we want to do an album together and it sounds good to say that. But you know, as much as all rappers and singers have a crazy personality, i have that, too! And it’s all about finding that synergy.

Are you able to do more with Thundercat because you live close to each other?

We don't live super close-by and we don’t have lots of time to work now that he's getting all famous with his music. [Laughs]. But we always find the time to work together and even if we don't for a while, he can come through on a Monday after a month of us not seeing each other and we can just get things done. We can get a lot done in a day. I consider him a part of Flying Lotus. He's part of the sound that I’m after. We just have such amazing chemistry in the studio. And on the new album, he plays on 75 percent of it.

Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead) is also on the album, right?

Yeah, and that happens during Miguel's [Atwood Ferguson] first time on the album. There's an acoustic section near the end of the album. The whole way the thing came together was organic. There was no thought really. We were all sitting around listening to this shit and it’s like, "Let’s open up a session and rip with it."

And how about that Thom Yorke collaboration? I heard you didn’t think he’d be on the album.

We have pretty good communication and we talk on e-mail often. But I figured he wouldn't be super enthusiastic about collaborating again because has so much going on and there are a million other people he could be working with. I felt very honored he wanted to work together again and it was very nice to have him back.

What’s most interesting is that he doesn’t even sound like what you'd expect on the album.

That’s funny because a lot of people ask about that and say, "Why don't you make it sound like him because it’s him." But I tell them it’s not about him. It’s my album. All these things are textures to me. I’ll pitch Thom all the way down if it sounds right. And that is why Thom fucks with me because I’m not afraid to fuck with it like that.

He sent me the vocals and trusted me to do what I do. He asked what the track meant to me and what the vibe of the album was. There were two tracks for consideration. I just sent him some of my music to keep him in the loop with what I’m doing and he's like, "Oh shit, I think got something for this."

It’s actually evolved since he heard it. It’s cool to get dry vocals and get inspired to add some things and build some moments and embellishing sections.

What is the vibe and concept of the album?

When I started working on it and making drafts, I was really into the idea of doing a children's record. Well, I really wanted to make a record that had this innocence to it. And it’s not about being naive but being able to harness the feeling of hearing things for the first time. I was really into meditation and mystical states and all that shit, which really, really inspired me.

I imagined seeing a whole world you can’t have imagined before and being completely innocent. Those are the kind of images I see. It’s of a young character, but not a kid, just like the youthful parts of yourself coming alive for the first time.

Do you have a favorite track from the album?

I always go through different phases with the tracks. At the moment, I really like "Only If You Wanna" on there. Stereolab was a big influence on that and it was really cool to add something to that conversation. It feels good to be able to throw one back to the universe.

So were they a big influence throughout the project?

I live in L.A. and it’s always sunny here. The vibe is real Stereolab. So yeah, they’re definitely a big influence. The thing about making records for me is I try to pull from something that might have passed. The whole "old is new again" idea.

The last record was more jazz for me and falling in love with my family's timeline of music again. This was getting back into psychedelic rock music, prog-rock, and jazz, too. I listened to a lot of Gentle Giant, Broadcast, Stereolab, all those weird drum machine rock songs. For those that don’t know, Gentle Giant is like half psych, half jazz, then pieces of renaissance fair shit in there.

Getting back to your recent collaborations, what can you tell us about this Captain Murphy character?

He’s a young dude from L.A. He's really really shy. I met him through hanging out in the scene and shit. He's a young dude not giving a fuck about being famous and shit. He didn't even want to release the music he'd been passing to me and just did the shit for fun but I convinced the dude to start pushing himself and getting the music out.

Word. Well, what’s interesting about that track you did with him and Earl is how it wasn’t just like a huge track with crazy features. It sounded like a real collaboration.

I feel like people weren't going to like the Earl Sweatshirt track because it’s older. I made that beat like five years ago. But I’m super into collaborating. I’m having so much fun working with other artists. I think it’s a fucking awesome time right now. There’s lots of cool stuff. I’m just trying to stay busy doing my shit and if I can work with other people and find a cool thread between our worlds it's, "Hell yeah."

I know those dudes are real particular about how they want their stuff to come out and all that. We did this thing and I hadn't heard from Earl in a while and didn't know if he fucked with it, but it happened and worked out really well.

What made you want to start working with rappers again?

Phases, man. New people. It's so inspiring hearing all these new sounds and seeing all these new people pop up from around the world who are really dope. There are these people who were in the crowd when I started and now they're on stage.

Years ago you only had guys like Kanye and Jay-Z and it was like, "What could they possibly tell me?" And, "How can we relate anymore?" That’s not inspiring to me. But now it feels right again.

It’s like all trap music now, too. I was in Switzerland and there were dudes making trap. All of a sudden the world recognizes Dirty South music. I have some shit that sounds like that, too, but I've personally been like, "Nah." It’s just because, again, I feel like I’m in a peculiar situation. I always feel like I’m staying true to what I set out to do. It’s not just being like the trendy guy.

Who are you listening to in particular that's inspired you?

Jeremiah Jae. I've been familiar with his music for some time now and he moved from Chicago to L.A. and having him here has been motivating and inspiring. Whenever I think about not doing anything, we meet up and he’s working on like a million things. His presence is motivating.

And obviously Odd Future, those are my peoples, and all the A$AP kids. I like the Raider Klan. I fuck with all that shit, man. I wanna do some shit with SpaceGhostPurrp. I actually sent him some shit. We're buddies on the fucking Skype. I’m trying to get some stuff done with him.

SepaGroove
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Very cool. I'm really looking forward to this one too.

Thanks for the post Spooks.

TomAz
08-16-2012, 09:06 AM
First fact offered: where to buy

Second fact offered: vinyl gram weight

At least you do eventually get around to actually discussing the music, after posting a tracklisting of unknown songs and giving us the earthshattering revelation that Thom Yorke is involved in the project.

GolfWang
08-16-2012, 09:42 AM
new single got a purty mouth

Gribbz
08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm excited. Did he end up playing new tracks at Coachella? I was uhh in an altered state during his set.

Mr. Dylanja
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I definitely remember him yelling, "NEW SHIT!" at one point. That was such a fun set.

Is he doing any sort of mini-tour around his Animal Collective gig or is that a one-off for him?

Dragonite
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Heard a couple new songs when Gaslamp Killer played them at Hard Summer, very excited for this.

unknown
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
re: tour, yes. Got my ticket for Seattle.
Flying Lotus 2012 Tour Dates:
09/23 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl *
10/07 – New York, NY @ Terminal 5
10/15 – Toronto, ON @ The Hoxton
10/16 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
10/18 – Denver, CO @ Odgen
10/19 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
10/22 – Vancouver, BC @ Fortune
10/23 – Seattle, WA @ Neptune
10/25 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
11/03 – London, UK @ Brixton Academy
11/04 – Amsterdam, NL @ Paradiso
11/05 – Leipzig, DE @ Conne Island
11/06 – Paris, FR @ La Machine du Moulin Rouge
11/07 – Fribourg, CH @ Fri-Son
11/08 – Berlin, DE @ Gretchen
11/09 – Manchester, UK @ Warehouse Project

* = w/ Animal Collective

obzen
08-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't even like Animal Collective though.

ficklecycle
08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Jonny + Thom + FlyLo...

SepaGroove
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm excited. Did he end up playing new tracks at Coachella? I was uhh in an altered state during his set.

Ya I watched his entire set but don't remember anything specific from it lol

heart cooks brain
08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Ya I watched his entire set but don't remember anything specific from it lol

nice to know i wasn't the only one.

ods..
08-18-2012, 03:23 PM
i remember him dropping a nasty schoolboy q remix at one point

GolfWang
08-18-2012, 04:00 PM

He played 3 new tracks at his Coachella (wk 1) set, I believe. The Erykah Badu song was not one of them.

Here's footage of one of the new ones he played:
SfXjarRmQkA

nick5745
08-18-2012, 04:14 PM
pre-ordered the new album and got my ticket to see him in Oakland, can't wait for both

greghead
08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
He played 3 new tracks at his Coachella (wk 1) set, I believe. The Erykah Badu song was not one of them.

Here's footage of one of the new ones he played:
SfXjarRmQkA

Yeah, he definitely played 3 or 4 new tracks weekend 1.

Gribbz
08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
All I remember is Greg going into a homicidal rage every time FlyLo got on the mic.

isnate
08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
this here video's got FlyLo, Bradford Cox, Hard in Da Paint, and a whole lot of dope smokin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5k9iDKXeeo

frazzles
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
All I remember is Greg going into a homicidal rage every time FlyLo got on the mic.

Lulz. There were several "new" songs in his week 1 set. I say "new" as they haven't been officially released, but goddamn if I haven't heard most of them prior to that set. In fact, I know I heard most of them interplayed in his 2010 set.

Spooks
09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
:thu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pVHC1DXQ7U&feature=player_embedded

GolfWang
09-14-2012, 08:10 AM

ficklecycle
09-14-2012, 01:43 PM
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyforpeace
09-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Damn I can't wait for the Hollywood bowl! Might have to do his show at the fox in Oakland...

frazzles
09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Getting There is likely to be my favorite track from this album.

GolfWang
09-14-2012, 05:36 PM
The snippet that excited me the most (well, as much as 3 seconds of music can) was "Tiny Tortures".

SepaGroove
09-15-2012, 11:35 AM
So pumped for this new album. Should sound great with my headphones.

Dragonite
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
nobody listened to it yet?

i think it beats his other works by miles.

frazzles
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
We know where to go to get it, highly advise removing the direct link ASAPidly.

As anticipated, Getting There is my favorite on first listen. I'll digest more when I'm less jet lagged.

Spooks
09-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Can't wait to listen to this new LP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQGfk9Gmgo&feature=player_embedded

nosurprises12
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
We know where to go to get it, highly advise removing the direct link ASAPidly.

As anticipated, Getting There is my favorite on first listen. I'll digest more when I'm less jet lagged.

Seconded.

heart cooks brain
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
fucking idiot.

greghead
09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Digging it.

Gribbz
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Me too. I'm going to have to let this marinate for a bit though.

TallGuyCM
09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Me too. I'm going to have to let this marinate for a bit though.

Absolutely. lol @ anyone who overly praises it or overly trashes it after one or two listens. There's so much to absorb, FlyLo's work takes time. I don't think Cosmogramma really sunk in until close to 10 spins.

ods..
09-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I love it. I hope that's not overly praising. Through one listen... so many moments of whoaaaa.

TallGuyCM
09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Definitely a fan on first listen too. Can't wait for a proper rip to surface.

TallGuyCM
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
REMOVE

IceyHotshot
09-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Against the rules to post download links...

greghead
09-19-2012, 11:23 PM
After five listens through various times of day and states of mind, I can say that I love it. I look forward to getting to know its nooks and crannies more fully. Favorite moments are "Until the Colors Come" -> "Heave(n)" -> "Tiny Tortures," and the last couple tracks. Holy fuck. Shit is groovy and spacey and hot as fuck.

nosurprises12
09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
So my original plan was to wait until the official release to listen to this, but after seeing all the praise this morning I said "fuck it" and downloaded it. After three listens, I'm enjoying it very, very much. For me Cosmogramma was always going to be a really hard album to follow-up (it was my #1 album of 2010 by a fairly good margin), but I think he's done well to keep some of the elements from it which worked and to add in a few wrinkles to his sound as well. It's maybe not as much as a "unified," 50-minute listen like Cosmogramma is, but songs like "Tiny Tortures," "See Thru to U," and "Phantasm" make it a really strong addition to his catalog. Can't wait for a headlining LA club date to hear some of this stuff live.

IceyHotshot
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I find it very restrained and subdued in a positive way. The album title is very apt. I'm going to have to give it some more spins.

Mr. Dylanja
09-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Hmm, first time through and it sounds just like Cosmogramma, only rearranged. Some of the bass lines and drum patterns sound like they were lifted straight from the previous record. Don't get me wrong, I love Cosmogramma, I was just expecting the overall sound to be a little more varied and different rather than a continuation. I'm sure that's because of the leap between Los Angeles and Cosmogramma. "Phantasm" and "Sultan's Request" were my favorites.

Time to rinse and repeat.

greghead
09-20-2012, 02:00 PM
As I understand it, some of these tracks found their beginnings a few years ago, he's just now come back around to them. So I guess some should sound a bit like Cosmogramma? I don't know. I DO know he has been playing a handful of these songs live for the last two years, often mixed with Cosmogramma tracks, and my brain is connecting the songs to Cosmogramma in that way.

EDIT:

I find it very restrained and subdued in a positive way.

Yes. Agreed 100%. Cosmogramma was so very flashy in a lot of ways, it's nice to not get continually bowled over by unrelenting brilliance this time around.

Mr. Dylanja
09-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Really? Who doesn't love to get bowled over by unrelenting brilliance?

It does feel nuanced, which should increase the replay value.

Gribbz
09-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Hopefully we'll get more dates. A second leg, perhaps.

Spooks
09-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Hopefully we'll get more dates. A second leg, perhaps.

He'll add LA cd release show after Hollywood Bowl w/ Animal Collective (god he's gonna blow An Co away! someone tape his set please :thu). Probably add another NYC show as well when he comes over here next month. Then he'll tour everywhere else next year:)

Gribbz
09-20-2012, 03:08 PM
I keep forgetting he's the opener for that. The Bowl is probably the last place I'd want to see a band like Animal Collective.

IceyHotshot
09-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Second listen right now. This is brilliant. Loving it to bits.

IceyHotshot
09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
EDIT:

Yes. Agreed 100%. Cosmogramma was so very flashy in a lot of ways, it's nice to not get continually bowled over by unrelenting brilliance this time around.

I don't understand the basis of this hostility. I meant what I said in a very good way. And never did I compare it to Cosmogramma, which I also like.

TallGuyCM
09-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't understand the basis of this hostility. I meant what I said in a very good way. And never did I compare it to Cosmogramma, which I also like.

No hostility. You're reading it wrong.

greghead
09-20-2012, 10:49 PM
^Yeah. No hostility whatsoever, I fucking love Cosmogramma. It was intended to be a showcase of his capabilities as an arranger & producer and he succeeded marvelously. After such a profound musical statement, it's nice to hear him a bit more restrained. No hate at all, haha, Steve's my boy.

IceyHotshot
09-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Right on.

frazzles
09-21-2012, 08:59 AM
My biggest pet peeve with this album is the profound lack of a track I first heard on the 10 Years of FlyLo Podcast. He often throws the I Feel Like Dying vocals over half of it before mixing in that song completely. Goddamnit. Greg knows which track I mean.

But at least we finally got Sultan's Request.

greghead
09-21-2012, 01:16 PM
RIGHT!?!? That track is so hot. I was hoping that track would come out. It took nearly three years to get Sultan's Request, maybe it will show up on the next one?

EDIT: This album makes me want to huff nitrous. Lots of it.

fudgumslover
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
My biggest pet peeve with this album is the profound lack of a track I first heard on the 10 Years of FlyLo Podcast. He often throws the I Feel Like Dying vocals over half of it before mixing in that song completely. Goddamnit. Greg knows which track I mean.

I have a version of that without the rapping, but the female vocals are still there.

SepaGroove
09-21-2012, 03:20 PM

I've been wanting to know the name of that track since he played it at Coachella 2010!

Anyone goin to the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday? I'm going for Flylo, and I hear I'll be impressed by Animal Collective.

Vic Viper
09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
not digging it after 1.5 listens. it's thoroughly unremarkable thus far. sounds like somebody trying to sound like flying lotus at this point.

GolfWang
09-22-2012, 12:29 AM
I tried to listen to the first song of the vinyl rip but decided to wait until I get a proper CDQ rip to listen to the rest. The white noise in the background, however quiet/insignificant it may be, was just a little too distracting. Usually such things don't bother me, but for an album like this I think it is necessary to wait. If anyone has a CDQ rip already please hit me up!

It's also possible that I'm just crazy and imagining/hearing things. Either way...

send me ctrpllrs
09-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I listened once last night, now I'm going back to waiting. Was impressed though. Sultan's Request is the early favorite.

Highly Refined Pirate
09-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Just like Cosmogramma, this needs to be enjoyed/listened to as an album, front to back. I really enjoy his effort to make a unified piece of work.

greghead
09-22-2012, 02:22 AM
not digging it after 1.5 listens. it's thoroughly unremarkable thus far. sounds like somebody trying to sound like flying lotus at this point.

Really? To me, this sounds more like "Flying Lotus" than anything else he's ever done. A culmination/evolution of sorts. You have a heady blend of the post-Dilla influences from his early work, the ambient experiments from LA EP 3x3/Cosmo Alt Takes, and the masterful arrangements & textures of Cosmogramma. Sounds like Flying Lotus sounding like himself, imo.

SepaGroove
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Really? To me, this sounds more like "Flying Lotus" than anything else he's ever done. A culmination/evolution of sorts. You have a heady blend of the post-Dilla influences from his early work, the ambient experiments from LA EP 3x3/Cosmo Alt Takes, and the masterful arrangements & textures of Cosmogramma. Sounds like Flying Lotus sounding like himself, imo.

I agree with you Greg.

After 3 listens I'm really digging this. Makes me wanna take sum drugzzz.

Gribbz
09-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah, sounds like a natural progression to me. Vic, you should let the album sit for a while. Come back to it later.

frazzles
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a version of that without the rapping, but the female vocals are still there.

If you're talking about this, wrong one.
K-YgYHXXCMk

We're talking about this version at the beginning
WKqV_tYlHao

greghead
09-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Gah! I want that track so badly. In a live setting the bass is liable to explode all your major joints simultaneously.

EDIT: God, I miss his 2010 sets, those were so good. I'm curious to hear what he's doing now but don't want to drop $40 to watch him do it.

Gribbz
09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Been hearing good HB reviews from boardies and non-boardies alike. How did the folks who strictly went for Flylo feel? Sepa?

Bus McRider
09-24-2012, 05:29 AM
http://www.npr.org/2012/09/23/161299030/first-listen-flying-lotus-until-the-quiet-comes

SepaGroove
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Been hearing good HB reviews from boardies and non-boardies alike. How did the folks who strictly went for Flylo feel? Sepa?

I loved it. Great energy the whole time and the visuals really added to the set.

On our way out towards the end of Animal Collective's set I saw him smoking a blunt so I decided to introduce myself and talk with him for a bit. He was such a chill, down to earth guy. Exactly the way he seems in all the interviews and what not.

greghead
09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Hell yeah. He's such a nice guy, always willing to stop and talk for a second.

Gribbz
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I like how he's wearing a Health t-shirt.

andyforpeace
09-25-2012, 05:13 PM
His set at the Hollywood bowl was great. Kinda weird watching him at a seated venue. Felt like I was one of the few dancing. Strangeloops did a great job on his visuals and it worked well with his material. Definitely felt as if he was playing more as a musician than a dj. I guess what I mean by that is that it was more of a musical experience than a party set, like at this years coachella. Very much like the set he did while opening for atoms for peace. I'm sure his headlining sets will be more so like his festival/club sets. The new material sounded great. Highlights on the set for me were intergalactic, idioteque and dmt song

Mr. Porter
09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Second listen right now. This is brilliant. Loving it to bits.
Yup.

Spooks
09-26-2012, 06:55 AM
We're talking about this version at the beginning
WKqV_tYlHao

This show was sooooo good! It was couple days before Atoms for Peace Roseland gig with Kode9 being the opener. Hopefully when he's in NYC next week, he'll play at LPR again:)

Spooks
09-27-2012, 02:24 PM
He'll add LA cd release show after Hollywood Bowl w/ Animal Collective (god he's gonna blow An Co away! someone tape his set please :thu). Probably add another NYC show as well when he comes over here next month. Then he'll tour everywhere else next year:)

Here we go!!!!!!!!!

Flying Lotus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RELEASE EVENTS
LA & NY TAKEOVER #UNTILTHEQUIETCOMES

LA - OCT 01 - AMOEBA MUSIC HOLLYWOOD IN-STORE
DJ sets by Jeremiah Jae, Teebs and Flying Lotus
(6-8pm PST) FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

LA - OCT 02 - BOILER ROOM - LOW END THEORY
with DJ Lo Down Loretta Brown aka Erykah Badu, Daddy Kev, Nobody, The Gaslamp Killer, D-Styles & Nocando. Visuals by Strangeloop.
(7-11pm PST) WATCH LIVE ONLINE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 06 - BROOKLYN FLEA RECORD FAIR
Signing copies of Until The Quiet Comes at the Warp booth
(12-6pm EST) WEBSITE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 07 - TERMINAL 5 SHOW
feat. Thundercat and additional Brainfeeder artists
(8pm-12am EST) TICKETS FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 08 - BOILER ROOM - RED BULL MUSIC ACADEMY
with ?uestlove, Just Blaze, Joey Badass & Pro Era...
(7-11pm EST) WATCH LIVE ONLINE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 09 - APPLE STORE, SOHO
talk + performance moderated by Mike Rubin.
part of the "meet the musician” series.
(6-8pm EST) FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 10 - EAST VILLAGE RADIO BRAINFEEDER TAKEOVER
Flying Lotus, The Gaslamp Killer, Martyn, Dorian Concept, Jeremiah Jae, Taylor McFerrin, The Underachievers
(2-4pm EST) LISTEN LIVE ONLINE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 10 - BRAINFEEDER SESSION @ VILLAIN NYC
The Gaslamp Killer, Martyn, Dorian Concept, Jeremiah Jae, Taylor McFerrin, The Underachievers
(9pm-4am EST) FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

LA - OCT 26 - CLUB NOKIA, LOS ANGELES
TICKETS FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

ficklecycle
09-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Here we go!!!!!!!!!

Flying Lotus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RELEASE EVENTS
LA & NY TAKEOVER #UNTILTHEQUIETCOMES

LA - OCT 01 - AMOEBA MUSIC HOLLYWOOD IN-STORE
DJ sets by Jeremiah Jae, Teebs and Flying Lotus
(6-8pm PST) FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

LA - OCT 02 - BOILER ROOM - LOW END THEORY
with DJ Lo Down Loretta Brown aka Erykah Badu, Daddy Kev, Nobody, The Gaslamp Killer, D-Styles & Nocando. Visuals by Strangeloop.
(7-11pm PST) WATCH LIVE ONLINE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 06 - BROOKLYN FLEA RECORD FAIR
Signing copies of Until The Quiet Comes at the Warp booth
(12-6pm EST) WEBSITE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 07 - TERMINAL 5 SHOW
feat. Thundercat and additional Brainfeeder artists
(8pm-12am EST) TICKETS FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 08 - BOILER ROOM - RED BULL MUSIC ACADEMY
with ?uestlove, Just Blaze, Joey Badass & Pro Era...
(7-11pm EST) WATCH LIVE ONLINE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 09 - APPLE STORE, SOHO
talk + performance moderated by Mike Rubin.
part of the "meet the musician” series.
(6-8pm EST) FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 10 - EAST VILLAGE RADIO BRAINFEEDER TAKEOVER
Flying Lotus, The Gaslamp Killer, Martyn, Dorian Concept, Jeremiah Jae, Taylor McFerrin, The Underachievers
(2-4pm EST) LISTEN LIVE ONLINE FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

NY - OCT 10 - BRAINFEEDER SESSION @ VILLAIN NYC
The Gaslamp Killer, Martyn, Dorian Concept, Jeremiah Jae, Taylor McFerrin, The Underachievers
(9pm-4am EST) FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

LA - OCT 26 - CLUB NOKIA, LOS ANGELES
TICKETS FACEBOOK EVENT TWEET

Got my ticket to Club Nokia and HOLY SHIT TEEBS IS PLAYING AT AMOEBA TOO?!?!?!?!?!?! I'll probably end up at Boiler Room too.

andyforpeace
09-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Teebs killed it at dublab's 13th anniversary at the echoplex this passed saturday.

ficklecycle
09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Teebs killed it at dublab's 13th anniversary at the echoplex this passed saturday.

Fuck yeah he did! I saw him there and opening for Autolux last Wednesday. He played Low End last night too which was incredible as always.

GolfWang
09-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I've listened to this so many times already trying to properly digest it, and I very much enjoy this record. Definitely not my favorite of his though. IMO Cosmogramma completely blows this out of the water. But that's not to say this isn't a great album. It just feels... safer in a sense. However, I still love it and it will probably be amongst my favorites of the year. I think it's probably his most accessible work to date. There are some absolutely incredible moments.

Spooks
10-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Tomorrow!!!

Best New Music 8.5 :thu

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17115-until-the-quiet-comes/

LiquidL
10-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Flying Lotus was great at the Hollywood Bowl. A bit short in terms of how long I would have wanted him to play but I suppose Animal Collective was the main billing. Great show.

New album is great, been grooving to it.

Spooks
10-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I wonder who he's talking about...

"I'm torn — if I worked at it, I could make a radio thing, and like anyone, I'm curious about that. But I hate to meet people I admire and it turns out they're just motivated by money," Ellison said. "There was someone very close to me that I asked to play a party with me, and they said they weren't into cool parties or dope music anymore — they were into getting paid. All I could say back to that was, 'That's cool … .' "

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-flying-lotus-quiet-electronica20121002,0,4507916.story

brownbuffalo
10-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I wonder who he's talking about...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-flying-lotus-quiet-electronica20121002,0,4507916.story

If i had to guess, Madlib

also tonight's boiler room will be great musically but looks like they are trying something different visually. Maybe it won't make people so eager to be on camera. going to try to get off work early to make the start time. so excited for tonight!

greghead
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't want to spend the extra 20, but the collectors edition does look and feel much better.

Mr. Porter
10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
For those watching BR now...yeah, Badu's set is kind of cringeworthy

Spooks
10-03-2012, 05:22 AM
For those watching BR now...yeah, Badu's set is kind of cringeworthy

How was FlyLo's set? I fell asleep since he was probably going to be on around 1am est...

andyforpeace
10-03-2012, 06:16 AM
That shit was stellar

Spooks
10-03-2012, 09:19 AM
FlyLo talks about the five albums that most influenced the current beat generation...

Aphex Twin – Richard D. James

Yeah, yeah. I mean Aphex, you’re pulling the warm stuff. I mean, the album was one that at the time I wasn’t really hit by it. It was one of those things that came in from college, but there’s a lot of shit on there that I still listen to all the time like “Girl/Boy Song” and “Milkman.” All those things are like when Aphex made his most successful record I think. It was the one where he sounded almost like pop songs.

I’m not taking away from it at all. Do I find it influential to my stuff? For sure. Especially in the feeling of it. I think people definitely make the association with that stuff because of the label too. It’s funny because I think I found the album Drukqs a little more influential to me.

http://thecreatorsproject.com/en-uk/blog/until-the-awkward-silence-comes-a-casual-convo-with-flying-lotus

If i had to guess, Madlib

You may be right...

That shit was stellar

Tell us more!!! Did he play mostly new stuff???

ods..
10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Ok I seriously love this right here, talking about the new Thundercat album he's working on:

We already started on it. Before I started doing interviews I was going to ask him to play me the album, play me what the hell he thinks is gonna happen right now. I say it’s about 70 percent done. Musically I feel like it seems like it’s going a little bit darker than the last album. I mean Golden Age of The Apocalypse was the precursor to the apocalypse, now I feel its a little darker. Not like really dark, but I feel like it’s a little bit harder. I feel like you’re going to see more dance-y stuff on it too. I mean it might be too soon to be talking about all that though.

Darker, dancier, full apocalyptic Thundercat? I'm in.

Spooks
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Ok I seriously love this right here, talking about the new Thundercat album he's working on:

Darker, dancier, full apocalyptic Thundercat? I'm in.

Indeed! More interviews in case you haven't read them yet...

What else do you have going on?

I’ve been working on a pilot for a TV show on Adult Swim. It’s called Cat Dick. I’ve been doing the music on that. Hopefully something happens with it. I want to do more of this kind of stuff and to get into the movie thing would be really interesting. Also, I’m working on the new Thundercat album, which is my current focus, but I still have other things that I have to do. We’ll see what happens, I’m writing a movie, maybe we’ll get into that.

1) Prefix
http://www.prefixmag.com/features/flying-lotus/flying-lotus-on-his-introspective-new-album-and-wh/69944/

2) COS
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/10/interview-flying-lotus/

3) Pitchfork
http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8919-flying-lotus/

andyforpeace
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Plenty of new tracks played last night mixed in with a ton of my favorites. Not necessarily all his originals, but that dilla tribute track with erykah was my highlight. Unfortunately I was listening on my phone w/ headphones cause the video part wasn't really loading. Can't wait for boiler room to put it on YouTube

brownbuffalo
10-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I was able to go to Boiler Room last night. Really felt like an old school Low End with all the usual heads there. It was really easy to get up close and watch the performers. Lotus and Willow were the best i thought. Lotus killed it, the energy was great in that room while he played. most people there weren't into most of the performances. The rule of the night was anyone not performing had to wear a mask if they were in the field of view of the camera. took a few photos

brownbuffalo
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM

brownbuffalo
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM

brownbuffalo
10-03-2012, 09:23 PM

avhua
10-04-2012, 01:20 AM
That's pretty incredible you got to go to that Boiler Room set!

The Amoeba set was pretty awesome too... Here are a couple videos I got for that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpNFSyuZk8s&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlJwTO24sE&feature=relmfu

iammrcandyman
10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
He played a surprise show at Low End Theory on Wednesday. Was on the verge of going to that too...

Mr. Porter
10-08-2012, 05:57 PM
He's playing another Boiler Room set tonight. BTW Just Blaze's DJ sets are terrible. I know he has skills, but seeing him live was so disappointing.

Spooks
10-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Thank you FlyLo for playing an amazing set on his b-day! It's been a great couple days so far:) Tomorrow night is going to be insane @ Villain;)

RSVP here: http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/events/brainfeeder-session

Melt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVPqmnHsTg&feature=player_embedded

Camel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQCOxUYrJw&feature=player_embedded

Idioteque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9JWvwTR-E&feature=player_embedded

Hard in the Paint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K3drmID6sI&feature=plcp

Physics for Everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhqZyvNP-aU&feature=plcp

Spooks
10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
FlyLo is the shit. He talked everything from turning down $$$ offer to be on next "Twilight" soundtrack to tripping on shrooms in the desert for one of the tracks on "Until the Quiet Comes" (I think you can figure out which track that is;)). It should be on Itunes soon! Over an hour of good stuff!

send me ctrpllrs
10-10-2012, 01:30 AM
My copy finally arrived this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to listen on vinyl yet, but the packaging is fucking beautiful.

greghead
10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
^Nice. I feel Warp vinyl generally sounds pretty good, but this specific vinyl release sounds very, very good to me.

Spooks
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
!!! Who's seeing him in Oakland tonight?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zqKVSVfj6Vc

Trick Loves The Kids
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Fuck that's a good Nardwuar.

Tubesock Shakur
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
That was a cool video. Who is the weird Jewish interviewer? Having followed flying lotus discog for years and not really his background, I can see why dude is quiet and seems really humble. Coltrane.....wild.

Trick Loves The Kids
10-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Oh man you gotta get up on Nardwuar. Best interviewer in music right now.

5RKbSi87J5Q

93zbaLjsLh0

Drewbles
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Anyone else going to the show at Nokia Theater tonight? I'm hyped! Trying to find out who all is playing but having trouble..

Sushov23
10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
10/26 @ club nokia
Flying Lotus 11:30 pm
The Gaslamp Killer 10:45 pm
Adrian Younge 10 pm
Taylor McFerrin 9:30 pm
Jeremiah Jae 9 pm
JPS 8pm

Tubesock Shakur
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Oh man you gotta get up on Nardwuar. Best interviewer in music right now.

5RKbSi87J5Q

93zbaLjsLh0

So fucking impressive. This guy is amazing a real music journalist.

ficklecycle
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
10/26 @ club nokia
Flying Lotus 11:30 pm
The Gaslamp Killer 10:45 pm
Adrian Younge 10 pm
Taylor McFerrin 9:30 pm
Jeremiah Jae 9 pm
JPS 8pm

Teebs?

Sushov23
10-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Teebs was replaced by The Gaslamp Killer. We'll probably walk in right before Flying Lotus goes on.

avhua
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
That show was pretty incredible last night and the new visuals were definitely on point. Highlight of the night for me was when he played Getting There into Clams Casino I'm God.

SepaGroove
10-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Completely forgot about this show. I would've definitely gone too. Fuck.

TallGuyCM
10-27-2012, 11:53 AM
That show was pretty incredible last night and the new visuals were definitely on point.

Absolutely. Fucking excellent show!

Spooks
10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
FlyLo taking it to another level...

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/flying-lotus-layer-3-video

Spooks
11-22-2012, 10:16 AM
RIP Austin Peralta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipaQNHewXw

andyforpeace
11-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Really shocked. Was a damn shame to lose such a talent at that young of an age. I was lucky enough to have seen him perform and it was really a treat. Rest in peace Austin

Spooks
11-29-2012, 07:59 AM
New video for Tiny Tortures:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TRNGpATRCrI

Spooks
12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Fly Lo's top 10 films...

http://www.criterion.com/explore/188-flying-lotus-s-top-10

xanman86
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Fly Lo's top 10 films...

http://www.criterion.com/explore/188-flying-lotus-s-top-10

Damn you beat me too it lol

Spooks
04-26-2013, 03:20 PM
New interview with FlyLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p6aZK93Tnsc

Karnifexlol
04-27-2013, 08:26 AM
^ Nice. Totally just revisited this UTQC, too. Electric Candyman trips me the fuck out. And the Badu collab into "Until the Quiet Comes" is just the best.

SepaGroove
04-27-2013, 09:37 AM
I need to listen to this album in full again today.

rasooli
05-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Anyone else just see him at the Fox Theater? His performance was WAY different than the three other times I've seen him. He surprisingly rapped a lot and only a few songs were from his first three albums.

roboto
05-26-2013, 01:51 AM
So he's even worse now. Not surprised.

roboto
05-26-2013, 01:56 AM
All flyo fans tell us if you like kanye . Seriously it would mean a lot to a book I'm writing. Please be honest. Two greats in the world.

rasooli
05-26-2013, 10:04 AM
I consider myself a big Fly Lo fan and I'm indifferent for the most part to Kanye.

Spooks
07-17-2013, 08:29 AM
FlyLo got notimated for MTV VMA awards haha

Best Visual Effects
Flying Lotus – “Tiny Tortures”
Skrillex feat. The Door – “Breakin’ A Sweat”
The Weeknd – “Wicked Games”
Duck Sauce – “It’s You”
Capital Cities – “Safe and Sound”

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1710689/vma-nominations-list-2013.jhtml

Spooks
09-26-2013, 04:47 AM
FlyLo FM: Grand Theft Auto 5 (note: the station is on a loop, this recording starts at Shadow Child)

Flying Lotus feat. Niki Randa – ‘Getting There’
Clams Casino – ‘Crystals’
Flying Lotus – ‘Crosswerved’
Flying Lotus – ‘Be Spin’
Flying Lotus – ‘See Thru to U’
Flying Lotus – ‘The Diddler’
Flying Lotus – ‘Computer Face Rmx’
Hudson Mohawke – ’100hm’
Flying Lotus feat. Niki Randa – ‘The Kill’
Tyler, the Creator – ‘Garbage’
Outkast – ‘Elevators (Me & You)’
Captain Murphy – ‘Evil Grin’
Flying Lotus – ‘Catapult Man’
Dabrye – ‘Encoded Flow’
Machinedrum – ‘She Died There’
DJ Rashad – ‘It’s Wack’
Thundercat – ‘Oh Sheit It’s X’
Flying Lotus – ‘Stonecutters’
Shadow Child – ’23′
Kingdom – ‘Stalker Ha’
Aphex Twin – ‘Windowlicker’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFnQldIw0rk

Spooks
12-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Flying Lotus just released 24 unreleased tracks. Ideas+Drafts+Loops:) Nobody does it like flyLo...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6udrmt53tywgmtx/Ideas%2Bdrafts%2Bloops.zip

GolfWang
12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Flying Lotus just released 24 unreleased tracks. Ideas+Drafts+Loops:) Nobody does it like flyLo...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6udrmt53tywgmtx/Ideas%2Bdrafts%2Bloops.zip

yesssssss

Spooks
12-12-2013, 05:03 PM
This guy!

https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/status/410596050093633536

Spooks
12-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Merry Chrimbus:winkiss

12/25 Special Xmas Edition: "IT'S A SECRET" SANTA plus residents Daddy Kev, Nobody, the Gaslamp Killer and Nocando @ Low End Theory

Spooks
06-02-2014, 05:06 AM
Treasure Island bound?

London will happen this fall, after the album. The USA tour will happen around then too.

https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/status/471319825466134529

Spooks
08-13-2014, 08:19 AM
:)

The new Flying Lotus album You're Dead! on Warp Records is now available to pre-order: http://link.bleep.com/flying-lotus-youre-dead
4 x LP Special Edition Vinyl / 2 x LP Vinyl / CD.
The incredible return of Flying Lotus on Warp. You're Dead! sees producer Steven Ellison taking us on a transcendental voyage into the afterlife. A wholly immersive, psychedelic journey, it's a virtuoso performance from one of the decade's most talented and inventive artists.
The album features contributions from (in order of appearance) Herbie Hancock, Kendrick Lamar, Captain Murphy, Snoop Dogg, Angel Deradoorian, Thundercat and Niki Randa. Original artwork by Japanese comic book artist Shintaro Kago.

https://bleep.com/release/53720-flying-lotus-youre-dead

You're Dead lp trailer

http://flying-lotus.com/youre-dead/

Tracklist:)

01. Theme
02. Tesla (feat. Herbie Hancock)
03. Cold Dead
04. Fkn Dead
05. Never Catch Me (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
06. Dead Man's Tetris (feat. Captain Murphy & Snoop Dogg)
07. Turkey Dog Coma
08. Stirring
09. Coronus, the Terminator
10. Siren Song (feat. Angel Deradoorian)
11. Turtles
12. Ready err Not
13. Eyes Above
14. Moment of Hesitation (feat. Herbie Hancock)
15. Descent Into Madness (feat. Thundercat)
16. The Boys Who Died in Their Sleep (feat. Captain Murphy)
17. Obligatory Cadence
18. Your Potential//The Beyond (feat. Niki Randa)
19. The Protest

GolfWang
08-13-2014, 08:29 AM
wooooow

Spooks
08-13-2014, 08:36 AM
We recorded all the herbie stuff at my old house.He came thru one night and killed it. Played him stuff and he knew where I was trying to go
https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/status/499032383195078656

Got to rap w snoop on a track. That's the most full circle thing to ever happen n my career.
https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/status/499031009157840896

Oh yea, some new shit in case some people missed these videos from April....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcYk2GD_GZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYtaxBj0hxw

nosurprises12
08-14-2014, 10:35 AM
This promo video for the new album is fucking fantastic; sounds like a return to Cosmogramma's space-funk odyssey, which has me very happy. Maybe I missed it in Spooks' copy pasta, but will there be full-length animations for each song?

gam3g3ni3
08-14-2014, 02:17 PM
So assuming coachella? No LA date on tour...unless I cant see something lol.

Edit: NVM. August...but thats far enough out.

greghead
08-14-2014, 02:26 PM
So all over that boxed version.

ficklecycle
08-14-2014, 02:30 PM
So assuming coachella? No LA date on tour...unless I cant see something lol.

Edit: NVM. August...but thats far enough out.

I'm sure the LA show will be announced after FYF. Would also bet on another Coachella appearance.

Spooks
08-15-2014, 09:04 AM
This one, it turns out, was initially a jazz record, but two years later, the final product contains everything from prog time signatures to hip-hop verses, all unified as a 38-minute journey into and about the concept of death. "In the end, I thought to myself, 'I want to make an album that only I can make,'" he says

:)

How much should a listener consider the concept when they play the record?

Completely. Every decision that I made was because of the concept. There's no loose ends in this record. There's no like, "Oh, I'm just gonna put this on the album because it sounds dope." There were a lot of tracks I could have put on there – like club tracks, bangers, whatever – but they didn't fit conceptually so there was no point. I'm not gonna call the album You're Dead! and be like pop singles and shit, wobble bass and whatever.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/flying-lotus-youre-dead-interview-20140814

GolfWang
08-15-2014, 09:00 PM
When the tour was announced he tweeted that there was no LA show listed because there's something special planned that's going to be announced later.