PDA

View Full Version : Goldenvoice, Indio expect to make deal

gaypalmsprings
08-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Goldenvoice, Indio expect to make deal

12:18 AM, Aug 10, 2012

Goldenvoice and Indio officials say they're closing in on a deal that would keep the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals in Indio for the long term.

The new optimism comes after weeks of speculation that the mega events might move out of town.

Goldenvoice President Paul Tollett told The Desert Sun in an email this week, “We will be filing an application for a long-term permit in the next few weeks.”

For years, Goldenvoice has sought a permit from Indio that would allow them to produce the events at the Empire Polo Club on a long-term basis.

Goldenvoice only received one-year permits in the first 12 years of Coachella's existence. During that time, the industry publication Pollstar named it the best outdoor music in North America nine times.

Indio granted Goldenvoice a two-year permit to produce the 2012 and 2013 festivals, and Coachella broke attendance records with two sold-out weekends in April.

But tension flared again in June when City Councilman Sam Torres led a charge to place a measure on the November ballot that would tax major events such as Coachella and Stagecoach. He withdrew his proposal after Goldenvoice threatened to take its festivals out of Indio after 2013.

The Indio City Council last month expressed a desire to negotiate a long-term contract, but said the next move was up to Goldenvoice.

“Do I feel we'll get a long-term contract? Yes I do,” Mayor Glenn Miller said at the July 18 council meeting. “What the long-term deal looks like, I don't know.”

Tollett acknowledged that Goldenvoice has “spent money on options for new venues.”

Yann Debonne, managing partner of the limited liability company Jackson 62, said Goldenvoice officials approached him in 2008 about leasing his company's 480 acres on Avenue 62 between Van Buren and Jackson streets in unincorporated county land. He said negotiations fell through in 2009 because Goldenvoice wanted a long-term deal and “I didn't want to lock that in for 25 years.”

Empire Polo Club owner Alex Haagen III, who said he has a partnership with Goldenvoice to develop a festival venue wherever Goldenvoice goes, said he was aware that the promoters had “looked at” 600 acres in that county area. But he advocated keeping the festivals at Empire and expanding west to the Eldorado Polo Club and surrounding properties.

Goldenvoice entered into an escrow to purchase 280 acres, including Eldorado, before the 2012 festivals. But Eldorado's ownership by 22 individuals and their desire to keep it as an active polo club presented challenges for Goldenvoice.

Goldenvoice Vice President Skip Paige said in a June text message to Torres, which Torres forwarded to The Desert Sun, that the escrow was “dead.”

Haagen, however, said it isn't dead and Indio city officials said this week Goldenvoice is working on an environmental impact report. Such reports usually identify the potential for traffic, noise and dust during construction.

Goldenvoice sold more than 160,000 three-day passes to its two Coachella weekends and more than 50,000 three-day passes to Stagecoach in April. Tollett said in early July that Coachella could have sold 300,000 passes and Stagecoach could have sold 80,000 without space restrictions.

Neither Tollett nor Martinez would discuss the status of the EIR or what might be included in it.

Councilman Mike Wilson said Goldenvoice would need an EIR to build or expand to accommodate its potential for growth.

“One of the things they are wanting to find out through the EIR is what capacity do they have to expand any more for more people,” Wilson said.

“My understanding is it's still moving forward. (Goldenvoice is) doing their due diligence and then the City Council will bless it and certify it or not.”

Martinez said he and his staff have had positive conversations with Goldenvoice officials and they might want to tweak the contract proposal to “make sure it's in line with what had been discussed by both parties.”

Martinez said he's not surprised by Tollett's announcement that Goldenvoice will be filing an application for a long-term permit in the next few weeks.

“That is the impression we've had all along,” he said.

“At some point we will hammer this deal out and it will benefit ... the city of Indio and frankly the whole Coachella Valley.”

PlayaDelWes
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I like the part about developing a port in the valley.

Riggins33
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I thought they were moving the concert to the Irvine Spectrum?

GuyInTucson
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM

That's because you lack proper reading comprehension.

Riggins33
08-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Or because I was making a joke. I didnt really think they were moving it to the Irvine mall. Derp

suprefan
08-10-2012, 07:58 PM

:lool

bganch
08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I was getting excited about the idea of Goldenvoice moving Coachella to a new bigger, custom built location with more lenient sound/light ordinances...

BROKENDOLL
08-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I was getting excited about the idea of Goldenvoice moving Coachella to a new bigger, custom built location with more lenient sound/light ordinances...

Isn't taking a horseshit speckled chunk of grass out in the middle of bum-fucked nowhere, and then building it into someplace similar to Heaven and Paradise, custom enough for you?

bganch
08-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Isn't taking a horseshit speckled chunk of grass out in the middle of bum-fucked nowhere, and then building it into someplace similar to Heaven and Paradise, custom enough for you?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xt_Pbt_ysUU/T6_fQoKxneI/AAAAAAAACkE/6VWjKPwJ5pA/s1600/Rustled%2BJimmies.jpg

bganch
08-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I want later sets, bro.

GuyInTucson
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Or because I was making a joke. I didnt really think they were moving it to the Irvine mall. Derp

You have a habit of making jokes that aren't funny.

Riggins33
08-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Just cause you didn't get it doesn't make it unfunny.

Coachella Bound
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
and so it shall continue..... yee haw

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/08/goldenvoice-and-indio-reportedly-strike-long-term-deal/

Miroir Noir
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I hope Mayor Glenn Miller brings his Orchestra to the Mojave tent next year.

TomAz
08-16-2012, 11:18 AM
I think they should rename the Sahara the Sam Torres.

Sigma
09-12-2012, 12:23 PM
What about this...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-goldenvoice-coachella-proposal-could-add-two-more-festivals-20120911,0,1887775.story

Increased capacity? More weekends? Larger area?

captncrzy
09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I hope one of those fall events is an "e-tard dubstep everything-that-is-wrong-with-dance-music" festival so those assholes will stop being booked at Coachella.

Mugwog
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Coachella Dance Festival

Featuring Justice, SHM (REUNION SHOW) and Dim Mak stage presented by Steve Aoki, Richie Hawtin will bring his Enter stage you were supposed to see at EDC.

Tiered two day passes start at $240!(DOES NOT INCLUDE FEES)

captncrzy
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
They can call it WubWubShitchella

captncrzy
09-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Here's a link to the city proposal if anyone wants to read it. Looks like they're proposing to expand the area next to the outdoor theater.

http://www.indio.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=2550

Bumblebee
09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
What about this...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-goldenvoice-coachella-proposal-could-add-two-more-festivals-20120911,0,1887775.story

Increased capacity? More weekends? Larger area?

Doesnt the number cited only refer to bodies allowed onsite, including thousands of staff/guests, and not tickets sold?

PlayaDelWes
09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Here's a link to the city proposal if anyone wants to read it. Looks like they're proposing to expand the area next to the outdoor theater.http://www.indio.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=2550
Possible second entrance? or added VIP area?

Other changes
+ Double the size of the shuttle lot
+ On-site dropoff / pickup / taxi lot
+ Repositioning part of camping lot 10 to lot 4
+ A lot more support areas

Sigma
09-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Doesnt the number cited only refer to bodies allowed onsite, including thousands of staff/guests, and not tickets sold?

Yes, I believe that is correct.

heart cooks brain
09-12-2012, 01:13 PM
another entrance would be fantastic.

djandrews25
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I hope one of those fall events is an "e-tard dubstep everything-that-is-wrong-with-dance-music" festival so those assholes will stop being booked at Coachella.

oh, please god let this happen.

JustSteve
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Here's a link to the city proposal if anyone wants to read it. Looks like they're proposing to expand the area next to the outdoor theater.

http://www.indio.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=2550

Noooooo, that's where my RV goes!

Not sure how that would work, though, that perimeter road behind that stage and all the tents and main stage is used to shuttle bands, equipment, etc. to and fro around the grounds. cutting that off would seem to be a logistics nightmare

djandrews25
09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
RVs werent allowed last year.

Mugwog
09-12-2012, 01:51 PM
cutting that off would seem to be a logistics nightmare

Coachella has a long standing policy of not caring for bands that can't make it on time.

JustSteve
09-12-2012, 01:52 PM
RVs werent allowed last year.

There are in the area next to the outdoor stage for production people, friends of goldenvoice, and bands. It's also where all the video production trucks are housed. And on the corner of Monroe and whatever numbered street runs behind the venue is the police compound.

GuyInTucson
09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
"OMG five weekends and more people. Ugh, fuck GV, who do they think they are?" - The response that resembles what a bunch of people on facebook said today before reading the article.

amyzzz
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't really like the idea of more people at one festival.

GuyInTucson
09-12-2012, 02:10 PM
You won't even notice much of a difference if they expand the festival grounds.

PlayaDelWes
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
It comes down to simple math. We all use to be 1/65,000th of the festival. With the cruises and so many weekends, we'll be diluted down to 1/500,000th and the festival experience will be one-eighth what it once was.

Mugwog
09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
So will the festival be cheaper then?

captncrzy
09-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't really like the idea of more people at one festival.

It's only 4,000 more people. Right now it's 95k. Proposal is for 99k.

TomAz
09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
It comes down to simple math. We all use to be 1/65,000th of the festival. With the cruises and so many weekends, we'll be diluted down to 1/500,000th and the festival experience will be one-eighth what it once was.

what?

CrimesceneCookie
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I'd like that expansion next to the outdoor to be VIP
get rid of VIP south of the Sahara and have a smaller South Sahara stage that brings the techno.
North Sahara, South Sahara. boom.

Vic Viper
09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
get rid of VIP south of the Sahara and have a smaller South Sahara stage that brings the techno.
Sub-Sahara tent. wubwubs for all.

GuyInTucson
09-12-2012, 05:14 PM

I like this idea.

suprefan
09-13-2012, 08:34 AM
So will the festival be cheaper then?

It'll stay at the same price for a while. Then when it goes up $10, everyone is going to call them greedy.

fatbastard
09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Goldenvoice's Coachella proposal could add 2 more festivals
By Todd Martens

4:56 PM PDT, September 11, 2012

Goldenvoice, the promoter behind the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, is aiming to secure a home for its desert festival through 2030. The promoter's current contract with the city of Indio, Calif., expires after the 2013 event, but Goldenvoice's ambitions extend well beyond obtaining a long-term contract for Coachella.

The city of Indio has released documents that offer a glimpse into the promoter's festival plans, which, if approved, would add up to two music events to the calendar year. Coachella launched in October 1999 and has been staged annually since 2001 in the spring. In 2007, it was joined by the country-focused Stagecoach. And this year, Coachella expanded to two weekends.

Indio has scheduled a Sept. 18 meeting to discuss details of an environmental impact report on the potential long-term agreement. Representatives from Goldenvoice did not respond to requests for comment.

TIMELINE: Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals

Perhaps the most intriguing news in Indio's summary of the long-term proposal is the revelation that the potential deal would allow for up to five festival weekends per year, with three in the spring and two in the fall. Of the latter, one could at least conceivably be on par with the size of Coachella's two weekends, allowing for a maximum capacity of 99,000 people. The other fall event would cater to 75,000 people.

The new agreements, detailed first by the Desert Sun, would also allow for increased attendance at Coachella. Currently, there's a maximum of 95,000 people allowed on the festival site during Coachella's two weekends, but the long-term bid would allow for up to 99,000 people on site, a number that appears to include concert attendees and festival staff. Likewise, Stagecoach's capacity would jump from 65,000 to 75,000.

Goldenvoice has staged the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival for 12 years on and around the Empire Polo Club, using a total of 535 acres in 2012. The size of the festival site, according to Indio, would increase to 601 acres under the long-term deal.

This year, Goldenvoice's two Coachella festivals generated a gross of $47.3 million, the largest ever recorded for a single concert event, according to concert business trade publication Pollstar. The dual-festival approach will continue in 2013 and is set for the weekends of April 12 and 19.

Coachella's future in Indio became national news this summer when it appeared that there was a possibility Goldenvoice would take its event elsewhere after an Indio councilman proposed an amusement tax. The city quickly backtracked on its effort and has pledged to work out a long-term agreement with Goldenvoice.

The Coachella brand this year will also expand to the sea. Pulp, Hot Chip, Yeasayer, Girl Talk and Sleigh Bells are among the acts slated to play the first-ever Coachella-branded cruise, officially dubbed the S.S. Coachella.

The self-proclaimed music festival at sea will feature 20-plus acts over two December trips, one to the Bahamas and one to Jamaica. Each leg will depart from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

amyzzz
09-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Isn't that what we discussed on the last page or so?

Sigma
09-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Isn't that what we discussed on the last page or so?

Yep, it is. No clue what that guy is on lool

CoachellaRides
09-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Sounds good to me....

GuyInTucson
09-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Sounds good to me....

Of course it does.

Sigma
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I hope they are adding space for the return of the Dome.

travelfan
09-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Sub-Sahara tent. wubwubs for all.

I actually dig the name, if not the booking strategy.

Coachella Bound
09-15-2012, 08:09 AM
looks like we may not get an answer till March 2013 - http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/13/entertainment/lat-et-ms-verdict-on-goldenvoices-coachella-bid-not-expected-till-2013-20120913

808HiLife
09-15-2012, 05:48 PM

I also like that idea. Kinda reminds me of North/South Stages at Lolla: One plays the more mainstream headliners and popular music, while the other plays smaller, less popular music thats still the shit.

hippityhip
09-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Man I was gone for three months and all sorts of Coachella shit happens. It's great to hear that the party will continue in the desert.