PDA

View Full Version : SAVE THE FUNKYLAMA!!!

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
ATTENTION COACHELLA LOVERS!

the beautiful and fun miss thefunkylama (http://www.coachella.com/forum/member.php?40-thefunkylama) was recently in a tragic accident and needs your help!!!!

DONATE HERE! (http://www.indiegogo.com/Help-Alma?c=home)

and if you can't help, she could at LEAST use a full analysis from rotationslimwang as to why god did this to her ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a picture of the lovely miss funkylama before her accident:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/217599_10150536970390710_1245353_n.jpg

and here she is at coachella 2008 with hawkingvsreeve and me. she yelled "rack" across the field to get my attention and that's how we met <3

http://www.ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/581895-3/IMG_3535.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seriously though...

alma was horrifically attached by an evil light pole. thankfully she survived; however she has been left with many unfortunate injuries requiring dozens of stiches/staples, surgery, hospital stays, and requires the use of a wheelchair and shower chair. apparently the infrastructure of the light pole cracked and landed right on her. a few inches and she would have been dead.

some of you may not remember thefunkylama; however she has been a fair member of our lovely community for many, many years. she is a pastry chef and a hard worker. just when she was finding herself on solid ground and about to enter a new job related to her pastry chef career, this tragedy happened. she has no insurance and had to quit her job before she even started.

she has no choice but to ask for help. and god damnit we are going to give it to her.

please donate money towards her medical bills. in return for your donation, she will send you handmade postcards, which she designs beautifully. even a donation as small as $5 or $10 gets you something. your good deed will not go unrewarded!!!

the site asks that all donations be made by 9/20/12. please donate as soon and as often as you can!!! let's make life a little easier for alma as she has done with her wit and humour for us over the years.

here are a few pics of the accident, so hard to look at, poor girl!!! :(

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/medias/366829/pictures/full/20120801202003-Alma_Wheelchair.jpg?1343877612

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/medias/366795/pictures/full/20120801200251-Leg_Stitches.jpg?1343876578

you can read her full story, see pictures, and make a donation here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Help-Alma?c=home

even though i have a mountain of medical bills myself, i'm fortunate enough to have a job and have insurance. so i scraped together $10 from my pit of nothing because i think alma is a wonderful person who deserves our help. please do the same and show her that coachella isn't the same without her <3

JustSteve
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
in the same boat as you, ivy, but i will look at our finances and hopefully be able to help out a bit.

read the story. are the event organizers offering any assistance? i would hope so based on their negligence. and this is a case where a lawsuit is most appropriate or where insurance should be there to cover an accident like this. has she at least looked into it? the people that did this better at least run some kind of fundraiser. i understand not being a litigious person, but when you are injured due to someone else's actions you have a right to not have to pay the costs involved in fixing that damage.

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 10:45 AM
yay, how generous given all your medical situations. maybe you, me, and alma could start our own "special" coachella olympics.

SEE PEOPLE, EVEN JUSTSTEVE IS WILLING TO HELP! WHAT'S YOU'RE EXCUSE NOW?!?! :)

buddy
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Geez, I'm sorry to hear about what happened Alma, and i'm glad you're still here.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
holy shit.

Seems to me Alma needs a lawyer to sue the fuck out of whoever owns that lamppost. Seriously. If it's a city park seems like it should be the city's responsibility to cover these costs.

edit: I donated.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Litigation is something that we've definitely looked into, and it's all up in the air. The chances that the city will cover it, given the circumstances, aren't very high. It'd be nice, but after talking to a lawyer, I don't think it's going to happen. That said, I've submitted a claim to the city, and we'll see where that gets us.

Also holy shit is this humbling and hello, everyone.

Robin
08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
How long will the donation page be up? I don't know her at all, but I'll donate.
I just need to check my finances after the end of August.

amyzzz
08-02-2012, 10:53 AM
This news is awful. I hope Alma gets back on her feet soon.

miscorrections
Litigation is something that we've definitely looked into, and it's all up in the air. The chances that the city will cover it, given the circumstances, aren't very high. It'd be nice, but after talking to a lawyer, I don't think it's going to happen. That said, I've submitted a claim to the city, and we'll see where that gets us.

Also holy shit is this humbling and hello, everyone.

I would seriously push through with litigation regardless of the projected chances.

Mr. Fuzz
Um, kinda interested in reading the story. What, did the lamp post fall from the sky?

captncrzy
08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Me too; plenty of lawyers around here that would probably want to help you in exchange for pies. SOME entity should be responsible for this.

captncrzy
08-02-2012, 10:55 AM
How long will the donation page be up? I don't know her at all, but I'll donate.

50 days I think.

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 10:56 AM

until september 20th :) what a nice thought, robin! thank you!

Um, kinda interested in reading the story. What, did the lamp post fall from the sky?

um, it's there, read below :)

you can read her full story, see pictures, and make a donation here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Help-Alma?c=home

miscorrections
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
You should also sue the slackliners for being slacklining assholes.

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 11:02 AM

Okay, I read it. So it did just "fall out of the sky". It sounds like you should be suing the city. Don't you have one of those "in a wreck, need a check" type lawyers that advertises on tv? I would call them asap.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Except that I would have been one of the slacklining assholes. This is where things get complicated. While I didn't set it up myself and I wasn't on the line, I was with the people who were.

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 11:05 AM
If it was me I wouldn't pay a dime or call the hospital asap and work out a plan with them to pay 5 dollars a month until that shits paid off. What are they going to do, sue you?

miscorrections
08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Except that I would have been one of the slacklining assholes. This is where things get complicated. While I didn't set it up myself and I wasn't on the line, I was with the people who were.

Still doesn't remove responsibility from the city to maintain its property at a reasonable level of public safety.

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
while delaying hospital bills is probably an obvious option for alma, she probably has other out-of-pocket costs that can't be delayed, such as buying medications, a shower seat, and renting a wheelchair. she also does not have a job and probably needs help with basic living necessities too.

and while any other stranger should get the troll treatment from us, this is a long-time member who needs our help!!!

Robin
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM

That story makes me so sad!
Here's hoping that I'll win poker tomorrow so I can donate sooner.

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM

If you were playing basketball and someone slammed and hung on the rim and then the rim came off and broke your skull, I believe that you could sue the city.

JorgeC
08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Yikes, sorry to hear about this accident. I hope you get back on your feet soon.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Except that I would have been one of the slacklining assholes. This is where things get complicated.

Oh. I see now.

damn.

captncrzy
08-02-2012, 11:12 AM

If the people that were doing this slacklining checking weren't city employees, who were they? Event organizers? Party goers? It seems like they should be responsible for your medical expenses at least.

miscorrections
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
It's still on the city to make sure that their lamp posts aren't at risk of falling on people, slackliners or no slackliners.

JorgeC
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Still doesn't remove responsibility from the city to maintain its property at a reasonable level of public safety.

this.

EastLos01
08-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Okay, I read it. So it did just "fall out of the sky". It sounds like you should be suing the city. Don't you have one of those "in a wreck, need a check" type lawyers that advertises on tv? I would call them asap.

he should help...

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

In all seriousness, I just gave what I could right now. This board has brought me alot of lulz and I'm glad to lend a hand when i can. Hope you have a speedy and as pain free recovery as possible.

PlayaDelWes
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Best wishes with the recovery and this effort!

If the people that were doing this slacklining checking weren't city employees, who were they? Event organizers? Party goers? It seems like they should be responsible for your medical expenses at least.
Agree 100%, it's going to be hard to fault a city for not designing their light posts to withstand 1,500 lbs of lateral (and leveraged) tension. Those who set it up and tested it are most responsible for ensuring the safety of everyone on and around the area.

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
a lightpost that cannot support a slackline sounds kinda scary to me.

for those who aren't familiar, it's just a single rope of rock climbing type rope (somewhat wide and flat). if slacklining were mainstream and the lightposts were set-up for slacklining purposes, the basketball analgoy would make sense. but i think this could get tricky, as alma already said.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
were there people actually on the slackline at the time (or just before) the lamp post fell?

Robin
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I sure hope she reaches her fundraising goal. That's such a huge debt she has right now.
I'd, actually, be disappointed if she doesn't reach her goal. I mean... a bullied bus monitor raised over $700,000!!

COME ON, PEOPLE!

chairmenmeow47
08-02-2012, 11:56 AM
were there people actually on the slackline at the time (or just before) the lamp post fell?

if so, it was only one to test the stability:

During the course of the evening, a slackline was set up between a tree and one of the park's cement light posts. No one realized how bad the condition of the lamp post was, and when the line was being checked out for stability, the cement lamp post cracked and came tumbling down. Onto my head.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Not yet. The guy who brought the slackline (we'll call him Joe, because that's his name) had put a foot on it to see if it was tight enough and all that stuff, and he got off immediately because the lamp post gave way. My boyfriend was standing next to the lamp post and saw it starting to fall, and shouted my name to get me to move, and Joe tried to shove me out of the way. His hand was hit by the lantern and he got a pretty good laceration out of it. Clearly this lamp post was out for me, and me alone.

Other questions: Joe is the guy who invited us to the party, and he is a friend and coworker of my boyfriend. He's the one who spearheaded the slacklining campaign, and while he knows the folks who set it up, he wasn't associated with the event outside of that. We definitely all agreed to slackline with him.

unit300021
08-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know you. Never spoken to you. But I feel for you so I donated. I'm currently unemployed myself so I was only able to do the minimum for now. Hope everything works out for you. Also as someone who has worked in a physical therapy office all I have to say is good luck re learning how to walk. Sound so simple I know but it's the hardest thing to do.

guedita
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
I've been wary of lamp posts ever since reading The Chronicles of Narnia.

I'm looking forward to my post-cards.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Unit3000, you've no idea how much even a small amount means to me. Every dollar you give is one I didn't have before.

As for relearning how to walk, I know it'll be a challenge, but I'm up to it, I think. If I can survive a cement lamp post, I can survive physical therapy, too, by damn!

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Alma, ill make two donations, one being informing you not to rely on the awful advice set forth below:
I would seriously push through with litigation regardless of the projected chances.

miscorrections
08-02-2012, 12:45 PM
<-- Not a lawyer.

But if you wanted quality information about flesh-eating bacteria I can be very helpful.

GuyInTucson
08-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I am glad that the donations are seemingly pouring in. Get well, Alma.

HotHamWater
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I am glad that the donations are seemingly pouring in. Get well, Alma.

I'm not convinced that these donations are from real people. It's possible, nay, most likely that Alma is cooking meth to fund all of this. She just needs a legit way to explain how she came into all of that money.

Somewhat Damaged
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
and while any other stranger should get the troll treatment from us, this is a long-time member who needs our help!!!

I don't think anybody was giving the troll treatment, if that's what you took the encouragements to pursue litigation to be. It just seems odd that she would be expected to bear the full brunt of medical costs from incurring an injury by city property on city property, due to no fault of her own. She wasn't doing anything but standing beside the lamp post. Whether she intended to eventually go slacklining herself should be irrelevant.

In any event, we've (captncrzy & I) donated but we'd still encourage you to pursue getting at minimum your medical costs covered by either the city or whoever it was that was setting up the slackline, and I'd argue you should go after lost wages on top of that. I can appreciate not being a litigious person but this wouldn't be a frivolous lawsuit to file.

Alma, ill make two donations, one being informing you not to rely on the awful advice set forth below:

What makes miscorrections' remarks "awful"? Or are you having a laugh?

GuyInTucson
08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
We'll know something is up if she shows up on facebook with photos of her hanging out with just-out-of-high-school tweakers.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't think anybody was giving the troll treatment, if that's what you took the encouragements to pursue litigation to be.

I didn't get this meaning from what Ivy said at all. I thought she was saying that Alma hasn't been around the board in a while and so she might be unknown to some people, who might thus be tempted to troll.

Somewhat Damaged
08-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I didn't get this meaning from what Ivy said at all. I thought she was saying that Alma hasn't been around the board in a while and so she might be unknown to some people, who might thus be tempted to troll.

Ah, a preemptive remark. Figured it was related to the variety of posts that had preceded hers.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 02:10 PM
I was the one who asked the question about litigation, and I have known and been friends with Alma for years, so I don't see how that would be considered trolling, Rick.

fatbastard
08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Jesus

captncrzy
He's talking about Mr. Fuzz.

amyzzz
Shut up and donate some money, bitchez.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 02:26 PM

I don't think anybody was giving the troll treatment, if that's what you took the encouragements to pursue litigation to be. It just seems odd that she would be expected to bear the full brunt of medical costs from incurring an injury by city property on city property, due to no fault of her own. She wasn't doing anything but standing beside the lamp post. Whether she intended to eventually go slacklining herself should be irrelevant.

In any event, we've (captncrzy & I) donated but we'd still encourage you to pursue getting at minimum your medical costs covered by either the city or whoever it was that was setting up the slackline, and I'd argue you should go after lost wages on top of that. I can appreciate not being a litigious person but this wouldn't be a frivolous lawsuit to file.

What makes miscorrections' remarks "awful"? Or are you having a laugh?

I can temper my statement. It's not sound advice. It's going to be a very tricky claim to win on and few lawyers are going to take this case because they'd have to take it on a contingency basis and they'd lose OR alma would have to pay and she's going to lose.

PotVsKtl
08-02-2012, 02:33 PM
What in the fuck is a slackline.

miscorrections
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
You know those assholes who go to public parks and tie up trees with all manner of cords and then just walk across the cords all day and block pedestrian traffic through THE PUBLIC AREA? Yeah, those cords are slacklines and the people who do it are by and large useless*.

*Alma excluded.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
What Malcom said.

Also, THIS is slacklining:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/482572_10151851313540710_554497809_n.jpg

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Also, just to be clear, on the one successful time I participated in slackline use, we stayed far away from most other people and didn't block any pathways. Your Seattle variety slackliner must (I insist on this) be a buffoon.

miscorrections
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
They've incurred my wrath more than once. You can't turn a public park into a goddamn giant hippie spiderweb.

PotVsKtl
08-02-2012, 02:45 PM
What do you do once you're on the slackline?

TomAz
08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I think they walk it like a tightrope.

then they play hackeysack and throw frisbees.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh, but Corinna, can't you see? Through their experiments, they're proving that that's exactly what a park can be. It can, in fact, be hell.

And yes, you walk it like a tightrope. You also get to look incredibly goofy doing it, flailing this-a-way and that-a-way. Great for laughing at your friends derisively.

guedita
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I assume that bowler hats and canes come into play on the slackline as well.

amyzzz
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't forget the twirly mustachios!

Somewhat Damaged
I can temper my statement. It's not sound advice. It's going to be a very tricky claim to win on and few lawyers are going to take this case because they'd have to take it on a contingency basis and they'd lose OR alma would have to pay and she's going to lose.

Not trying to be argumentative because I know this is your area of expertise, but what about this situation makes it tricky? Seems to the layperson like the city would be found culpable. What makes a lawsuit a doomed scenario?

PotVsKtl
Sounds thrilling. I'm going to start drinking now.

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Guys, guys, don't get ahead of yourselves. That's pro-level only.

Further: Drinking and slacklining is a sobriety test in hell.

Robin
08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
F that. I can't even pass a sobriety test sober.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Not trying to be argumentative because I know this is your area of expertise, but what about this situation makes it tricky? Seems to the layperson like the city would be found culpable. What makes a lawsuit a doomed scenario?

Lampposts are not designed or intended to support a slackline. You can't expect the city to engineer their lampposts to serve those (& all other imaginable) purposes. That means the burden of proof would be on Alma to show that the lamppost was a safety risk anyway and that the slacklining had a minimal causative effect. A difficult case.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I stand behind TomAz

PotVsKtl
08-02-2012, 02:58 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P5O0m0uxOvg/T9Vn5Y1Dv7I/AAAAAAAAAXk/HdBwWoKwKe0/s640/144702_OBJECTION.gif

thefunkylama
08-02-2012, 03:04 PM

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Lampposts are not designed or intended to support a slackline. You can't expect the city to engineer their lampposts to serve those (& all other imaginable) purposes. That means the burden of proof would be on Alma to show that the lamppost was a safety risk anyway and that the slacklining had a minimal causative effect. A difficult case.

Maybe, there are other lamp post in that same park that are just as risky. Did you guys take a look around? ?

Either way, I wouldn't pay the hospital bills. Did you ask to be treated or did they just fix you up?

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Maybe, there are other lamp post in that same park that are just as risky. Did you guys take a look around? ?

Either way, I wouldn't pay the hospital bills. Did you ask to be treated or did they just fix you up?

Nothing in this post makes any sense

TomAz
08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I think he was suggesting, in the first paragraph, that if there is a demonstrable pattern of rickety unsafe lampposts throughout the park, that might enhance Alma's case; and in the second, that Alma somehow has no obligation (legal or moral) to compensate the hospital for professional medical services rendered.

kitt kat
08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
The city is most certainly responsible. Sounds like the post was unstable to begin with and was just waiting for something to bring it down. What if a kid hit it with a bike? City's fault; this shouldn't be any different.

I will chip in when I get paid!

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I think he was suggesting, in the first paragraph, that if there is a demonstrable pattern of rickety unsafe lampposts throughout the park, that might enhance Alma's case; and in the second, that Alma somehow has no obligation (legal or moral) to compensate the hospital for professional medical services rendered.

Well, I don't think that she should pay the bills in full, ever. You can call and explain your situation and break your bill into payments with no intrest charged to you. Tell them that you can only afford $25 a month and see what they can do. Then, spend the money on things like perscriptions, wheelchairs, etc.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I certainly agree there is no need for her to pay full billed charges; no one else does. And an interest-free payment plan would be useful as well. But, I think she should spend the money on things like more slacklines.

HowToDisappear
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Yes, more slacklines. ;)

Contribution made.

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Is she having trouble making the monthly payment or does she just not feel that she is responsible for paying the bill?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
That is covered in extreme detail on the fundraiser page.

guedita
08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
That is covered is extreme detail on the fundraiser page.

How dare you suggest Mr. Fuzz take some time to read, digest, and think before spouting his opinion.

Somewhat Damaged
08-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Hmm, hadn't considered that. So while the case against the city would be difficult, finding fault with those setting up the slacklines would conceivably not be, right? Although then we get into whether it was actually any sort of a company doing it or just some yahoos who wanted to goof around on the 4th of July, some of whom may have been Alma's friends, and who Alma wouldn't be able to get any money out of in the first place.

PlayaDelWes
08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
A faceless city may seem easy to blame, but 100% of the onus is on the one who set up the apparatus. Slacklining is a dangerous (http://chongonation.com/SLWrning.htm)activity. There are accidents all over youtube and multiple forums on what to safely attach your slackline to; even calculators (http://www.slacklineexpress.com/force.php?linelength=25&sag=1&w=160). A rickety light-post simply toppling over because the wind blew is a lot different than connecting a tension line to it and applying 1,000 pounds of pressure or more. Not to mention, a light-post is a lever, which requires even less force to topple for every inch up you go.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Hmm, hadn't considered that. So while the case against the city would be difficult, finding fault with those setting up the slacklines would conceivably not be, right? Although then we get into whether it was actually any sort of a company doing it or just some yahoos who wanted to goof around on the 4th of July, some of whom may have been Alma's friends, and who Alma wouldn't be able to get any money out of in the first place.

I think Alma already said she was part of the crew setting the lines up.

Mr. Fuzz
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
How dare you suggest Mr. Fuzz take some time to read, digest, and think before spouting his opinion.

Please, quote it.

PotVsKtl
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
This guy likes the White Stripes everybody. Just do as he says.

TomAz
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
A faceless city may seem easy to blame

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/M_R/Pi_Pp/Portlandia/season2/portlandia-25.jpg

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
The city is most certainly responsible. Sounds like the post was unstable to begin with and was just waiting for something to bring it down. What if a kid hit it with a bike? City's fault; this shouldn't be any different.

I will chip in when I get paid!

Summary Judgment against the plaintiff.

Somewhat Damaged
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I think Alma already said she was part of the crew setting the lines up.

Clearly I didn't pay attention to that portion of her story, Tom, duh.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Nobody is getting into that.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
A faceless city may seem easy to blame, but 100% of the onus is on the one who set up the apparatus. Slacklining is a dangerous (http://chongonation.com/SLWrning.htm)activity. There are accidents all over youtube and multiple forums on what to safely attach your slackline to; even calculators (http://www.slacklineexpress.com/force.php?linelength=25&sag=1&w=160). A rickety light-post simply toppling over because the wind blew is a lot different than connecting a tension line to it and applying 1,000 pounds of pressure or more. Not to mention, a light-post is a lever, which requires even less force to topple for every inch up you go.

Per usual, PlayaDelWes is nailing it.

sonofhal
08-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I donated a kidney and will be selling "More Slacklines" t-shirts outside the Olympic stadium to raise funds for this worthy cause.

Tubesock Shakur
08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
No moar slackline.

M Sparks
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
What in the fuck is a slackline.

What do you do once you're on the slackline?

This is the first time ever Pot and I have ever had the same thoughts at the same time.

Regardless of my ignorance of what you damn kids do, donation is forthcoming.

M Sparks
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Yeah, Alma, go shake some more lampposts. .

Fucking roving bands of surgeons wandering the city, meddling.

thefunkylama
08-03-2012, 11:22 AM
WHO CALLED YOU, AMBULANCE? JUST BECAUSE I'M LYING ON THE GROUND AFTER BEING CLOCKED BY AN ENORMOUS CEMENT PILLAR DOESN'T MEAN I NEED YOUR HELP. MY FATHER USED TO HAVE CEMENT-BLOCK-THROWING WARS WITH HIS SIBLINGS AS A CHILD. WE DO THIS ALL THE TIME. DON'T YOU JUDGE MY FAMILY'S HERITAGE.

GuyInTucson
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Alma, please come back and post more.

Alchemy
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Alma should sue the company that made the slackline for making too powerful a slackline.

JustSteve
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
contributitted!

Courtney
08-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Alchemy, that's ridiculous. Clearly she should sue the park architect for not installing guardrails in front of all lamp posts.

amyzzz
08-03-2012, 01:41 PM
She should sue Isaac Newton's estate. Because gravity.

TomAz
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
She should sue Christopher Columbus' estate. Because America.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
She should sue her mother for giving birth to her and starting this whole chain of events in the first place.

Mr. Fuzz
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
She should probably consider moving back in with her parents and then file for bankruptcy.

JustSteve
08-03-2012, 01:51 PM
pretty sure bankruptcy doesn't absolve you of outstanding medical bills

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Actually medical bills are one of the #1 reasons people file bankruptcy. It actually might not be a bad idea to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer see what your options are.

TomAz
08-03-2012, 01:55 PM
one of the #1 reasons

At least you didn't spell it "reason's".

thefunkylama
08-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Maybe I should sue Obama because his stupid healthcare plan was supposed to cover this ish.

JustSteve
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Actually medical bills are one of the #1 reasons people file bankruptcy. It actually might not be a bad idea to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer see what your options are.

sorry, yeah you're right, had something else on the brain. but that will also cancel out any of her credit cards and make any kind of loan in the near future hard to get.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
At least you didn't spell it "reason's".

I KNOW RIGHT

Mr. Fuzz
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
sorry, yeah you're right, had something else on the brain. but that will also cancel out any of her credit cards and make any kind of loan in the near future hard to get.

go on...

thefunkylama
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
It fucks with your credit for 7 years. I have vivid memories of the time my mom filed for bankruptcy when I was 12. I remember the stench of the office we sat in, and the way the lawyer's ample belly perched on top of his belt, defying physics with its rotund anger at being forced into a button-up shirt, forced upward by the tyranny of his slacks, and their refusal to admit anything beyond what I can only assume was his sweaty, pinched fupa.

It's not the most attractive option, frankly.

Also he had foamy spittle accumulated at the sides of his mouth as if he hadn't had anything to drink in a while, and he insisted on licking his thumb before turning each page as he instructed my mother where to sign.

captncrzy
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM

True, but so is having $35k in medical bills at collection agencies on her credit report. Actually, it's probably worse. BK would wipe everything out for her and allow her to start fresh. She can start working to rebuild her credit right away.

*advice coming from a former financial counselor and not just some spewing jackass on the internet. BK would suck, but at least it would be over and not follow you around until its paid. It's off in seven and done with.

TomAz
08-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Just because you're a former financial counselor doesn't mean you're not a spewing jackass. Actually, it probably means you are.

captncrzy
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I guess I meant "random" spewing jackass.

Mr. Fuzz
08-03-2012, 02:26 PM
What's with the quotes?

amyzzz
08-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I think the quotes are meant for emphasis. She could have used italics as well.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-03-2012, 03:01 PM
True, but so is having $35k in medical bills at collection agencies on her credit report. Actually, it's probably worse. BK would wipe everything out for her and allow her to start fresh. She can start working to rebuild her credit right away.

*advice coming from a former financial counselor and not just some spewing jackass on the internet. BK would suck, but at least it would be over and not follow you around until its paid. It's off in seven and done with.

Yes, exactly. Which is why I said it would not be a bad idea to at least talk to a BK lawyer for some advice. My girlfriend is a lawyer currently specializing in bankruptcies so i hear about this stuff all the time. not all of them are sweaty and gross like the one Alma described.

captncrzy
08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
What's with the quotes?

What's with you being a giant piece of trolling shit?

thefunkylama
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I just sort of told off my aunt. WHO'S NEXT?!? I'M LOOKING AT YOU, MR. BELLY BUTTON LINT.

In other news, I spoke to a second lawyer today who said the same thing as the first one, except he accepted pictures of the lamp post to mull over with his partner. He'll get back to me with official bad news on Monday.

WOO.

chairmenmeow47
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
i love a man who will make you hem and haw over the weekend.

JustSteve
08-03-2012, 06:21 PM

is it still 7 years or did it change to 10? or am i thinking of dui's here in ca? i have been considering filing for bk. based on my disability and the money i get from the government i won't be buying a home or getting any loan anytime soon anyway. with the transplant possible in the future i would like to go into it with no debt in case something should happen to me, don't want it passed on to family. have charged up a bit on cards over the 20 years i have had them. never missed a payment and have a pretty decent credit score, but with the costs involved post transplant i need that money to go towards medications and post transplant care, not minimum payments for shit i have purchased in that time that based on the little box on my statements says will be paid off in 20 years. we were quoted between $400-500/month in prescription costs post-op...for life. ouch.

also, there is a "bankruptcy for dummies" book available and if it's a pretty basic bk it may be possible to do it lawyer free.

RotationSlimWang
08-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm not going to donate, not because I don't like Alma, but because this is exactly what's supposed to happen to people who do stupid shit like this. Sorry Alma. Love ya.

thefunkylama
08-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I WASN'T EVEN ON THE LINE, DAMMIT!

RotationSlimWang
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
This is what you get for hanging out with idiots who do shit like slacklining. Also, sue your friends.

chairmenmeow47
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
*bump* alma is $35 from $3,000 as of right now, way to go everyone! :)

thefunkylama
08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes. Seriously, you guys, this board and its members are responsible for a little over half of that. I am impressed and, more than anything, humbled. Thank you, each of you, so much.

Robin
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
*bump* alma is $35 from $3,000 as of right now, way to go everyone! :)

That's really flippin awesome!

captncrzy
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
So where else can we spread the word. Portland slacklining clubs?

thefunkylama
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
We should definitely start calling local radio stations.

People mentioning Reddit to me, except that I don't understand how Reddit works and haven't had the patience to try.

captncrzy
08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't get Reddit either; there is a Colorado slacklining club that has a facebook page that I'll spam when I get home.

thefunkylama
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Reddit just seems like... I don't know, a message board, but worse? Because of the whole popularity contest, "up vote this" thing.

Also THANK YOU because that sounds like not a bad idea.

chairmenmeow47
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
slacklining and rock climing pages are a good idea, i was afraid to show up as a n00b asking for money. i do have some rock climbing friends here and in colorado that could probably help me find a decent site. i'll check tonight.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Reddit just seems like... I don't know, a message board, but worse? Because of the whole popularity contest, "up vote this" thing.

Also THANK YOU because that sounds like not a bad idea.

The up-vote thing is out of necessity because of the huge amount of members and topics. like 20,000+ active users? Something like that. it helps relevant things not get lost in the shuffle.

it tends to be a very pro-active and helpful community that really goes for charity type things, and full of very social media savvy people.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Now we only need 35 of us to donate one dollar. Or 70 of us to donate fifty cents.

thefunkylama
08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
GO, QUARTERS!

chairmenmeow47
08-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I'LL GIVE AUDREY A QUARTER TOO, AUDREY

Courtney
08-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Mja, pony up already. I will even send you a pie if you donate enough.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-06-2012, 09:31 PM
DONE!

thefunkylama
08-06-2012, 09:33 PM
You earned yourself about half a pie.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Is there a way to stop payment on a donation

thefunkylama
08-06-2012, 09:41 PM
What?! I'm just saying, you know, Courtney is going to make you a pie. It just won't be a whole one.

Somewhat Damaged
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't think Courtney's prepared to give Malcolm the kind of pie he really wants.

PlayaDelWes
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
These pies seem rather selective.

gaypalmsprings
08-07-2012, 05:55 AM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/Untitled-1.jpg

thefunkylama
08-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I definitely need a llama cookie cutter. Definitely.

PlayaDelWes
08-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Can we get a general update on the guy playing whack-a-mole with the light post? I think you mentioned his name is Joe? What has he caughed up at this point? Is he going to be matching the funds of this campaign or is he just laying low?

thefunkylama
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
He's my boyfriend's coworker, and no, he hasn't contributed anything to the campaign as it stands. I don't really want to talk about his level of involvement with the accident and its aftermath.

thefunkylama
08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
So, update on Joe: it turns out he hadn't heard about the campaign yet (apparently the boyf forgot to tell him?), but he's totally on board now and helping me spread the word. A complete turn around there, and I'm pretty pleased to have his support.

I'm trying to figure out Reddit now, also, by the way.

RotationSlimWang
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
... not one red cent.

Hannahrain
08-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I really wish I'd read this before I donated to that cement pole's indiegogo campaign.

RotationSlimWang
08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
I want to donate to a fund that supports Alma's friends and family who now have to deal with months of helping her crippled ass around because she thought it would be fun to walk on a rope.

algunz
09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't know how I missed this, but I hope you are feeling better today. I made a contribution and I encourage others to do the same.

Happy Birthday, Alma!!!!

amyzzz
09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Yay birthday bump.

thefunkylama
09-07-2012, 06:39 PM
You guys are still the best and are responsible for the bulk of the funds I've raised so far. <3<3<3

GuyInTucson
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Bump. Alma states on FB she only has three days left.

RotationSlimWang
09-17-2012, 02:52 PM
... set that bar a little high there, didn't we?

TomAz
09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Three days left til what?

PotVsKtl
09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Until the time expires on the donations. She'll still get most of the money, but Indiegogo will take a larger cut for not hitting the funding goal.

thefunkylama
09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Indeed. Indiegogo keeps 9% of the total, since I didn't reach my goal. If I had reached it, which wasn't terribly likely in the first place, they'd have only kept 4%. I could have probably picked a smaller goal, but OH WELL, RANDY. OH GOD DAMNED WELL.

Hannahrain
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
It's good to be reminded of the importance of aiming low. On that note, Randy, would you like to have drinks later?

RotationSlimWang
09-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah the thing about these campaigns is except when there really is a hard set budget--like for example to go into production on a new kind of consumer product--it seems to me like the smart play would be to set the bar really low and just add better incentives for donating above the amount you're explicitly requesting.

RotationSlimWang
09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Like when I start my kickstarter campaign to go to rehab, the bar is gonna be like 100 dollars.

RotationSlimWang
09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
The campaign will fall MASSIVELY short of the amount of money I'd actually need to go to rehab, but then I'd take whatever I did get and invest it promptly into drugs and everyone would be happy.

greghead
09-17-2012, 06:59 PM
It's good to be reminded of the importance of aiming low. On that note, Randy, would you like to have drinks later?

Ha.

How much was raised? Hopefully we covered at least a bit.

sonofhal
09-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Just remember - every $ you donate in the next couple of days is a big "Fuck You" to Randy. What other encouragement could you possibly need?

amyzzz
09-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Just remember - every $ you donate in the next couple of days is a big "Fuck You" to Randy. What other encouragement could you possibly need?Checking my bank balance right now...

thefunkylama
09-18-2012, 10:09 AM
So far, the total is $3695, which is already way more than I thought would be raised. It's also a pretty good chunk of change: a little more than 1/5th of my goal and a great starting point for me. I still have to budget pretty tightly but even that is better than where I would be otherwise.

Hannahrain
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Are you going to be around early evening on Friday? I have a bunch of stuff for you and would like to stop by after work if it's convenient.

thefunkylama
09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I'll be home. We have a guest staying with us through airbnb.com and he leaves today, and tomorrow I'll just be here cleaning, hausfrau-style.

algunz
09-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Alma, in moments like this every penny counts. I'm glad I was able to help. I wish you a speedy recovery and the chance to reach all the goals in life that you were aiming for before you got sidetracked.