PDA

View Full Version : Jack White Saturday Headliner?

SlowMotionApocalypse
07-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Please say it ain't so, this dude was barely passable with the Raconteurs third billed Friday. I hope those contracts weren't signed yet.

Mattmanx2
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM
I wasn't there for the Raconteurs, but I saw them in Vancouver that year. I would agree that it's not the kind of act I would dream of seeing at Coachella, but Jack White's solo act tour is getting some killer attention. I'd personally be stoked to see him as a headliner. I never was blown away by The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather, but I bought Blunderbuss a few weeks back and I would love to hear these songs live.

JustSteve
07-24-2012, 07:25 PM
helps that he plays white stripes songs as a solo performer.

nbvcide
07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
that Jack White show at Sasquatch sold me on it.

mikey1313666
07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I really don't think they'll book him as a headliner, sub headliner definitely. I'm glad to hear he throws in some Stripes songs in his solo set

kneuller
07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
I really don't think they'll book him as a headliner, sub headliner definitely. I'm glad to hear he throws in some Stripes songs in his solo set

Hit setlists look pretty dispersed among all of his bands/projects and the new solo album is actually good. I would say him headlining is definitely possible.

Riggins33
07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Why would the drummer from the Dead Weather headline?

mikey1313666
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Hit setlists look pretty dispersed among all of his bands/projects and the new solo album is actually good. I would say him headlining is definitely possible.

Considering he's been booked as sub headliner for smaller festivals (Outside Lands) and I don't see him blowing up anymore than he already has, I really don't see him as a headliner

kneuller
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Considering he's been booked as sub headliner for smaller festivals (Outside Lands) and I don't see him blowing up anymore than he already has, I really don't see him as a headliner

Disagree...He appears on the top line of the Outside Lands poster, and on their website, he has the 2nd most "fan likes" behind Stevie Wonder. Recently headlined Firefly, Rosklide, Hangout, Sasquatch, and he is also headlining Lollapalooza so that theory is thrown out. Can you name one fest that he actually did subheadline?

jsnake0123
07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I wouldnt say he is headlining OSL.
Set time is 5:25-6:35. Before Stevie Wonder on the main stage. and the biggest side stage has Bloc Party and Skrillex playing after his set...

Coachella Bound
07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
duh.... though i figured he would be booked for friday. Regardless, i don't understand why this is such a stretch for some people.

frizzlefry
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
But he's headlining Lolla so you know...Coachella is gonna do it too now because that's how things work

kneuller
07-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Set time is 5:25-6:35. Before Stevie Wonder on the main stage. and the biggest side stage has Bloc Party and Skrillex playing after his set...

Totally agree with you that his set time is weak and sub status. Im just going on the fact OSL has Jack White on the headline of their festival poster, thus making him a headliner.

kneuller
07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Similar to The Strokes "co headlining" with Kanye in 2011. Also, Jack White playing at 525-635 isnt as crazy as it seems...OSL ends at 9:30 Sunday.

Mattmanx2
07-28-2012, 01:01 PM
duh.... though i figured he would be booked for friday. Regardless, i don't understand why this is such a stretch for some people.

Friday seems more appropriate than Saturday. And I don't understand it either, he'd be easily more entertaining than The Black Keys. And I LOVE The Black Keys.

nbvcide
07-29-2012, 12:52 AM
I'll bet he closes out the fest..

If No Doubt plays, it'll be friday.

Coachella Bound
08-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Best set at Outside Lands.... i need 2+ hours of Jack White. C'mon Coachella.....

MostlyMellow
08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
honestly he bored me at osl. No. your a huge jack fan I imagine

nathanfairchild
08-13-2012, 04:38 PM
sounds like you're the only one. he was incredible at lolla last week.

MostlyMellow
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
he played a down tempo set with his male bad which seem to be the inferior band. I went in a big fan but know a boring set when I see one

narek23
08-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Just saw him at Outside Lands and he blew me away. I'm a huge white stripes fan though. I'd love to see him at coachella and dont care if he headlines or not, but all i'm saying is fucking jack johnson, the killers, and other less worthy people have headlined than jack white. So I don't see what you guys are complaining about

nathanfairchild
08-14-2012, 08:08 AM
it seems like most people here think the white stripes could headline, but i promise you, meg is not what made them great. jack is fantastic on his own and he plays mostly from his other bands. also, the white stripes songs with a full band sound a lot better live than they did when there was just two of them on stage.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
After his set at Outsidelands I'd say he could headline. Then again, at this point almost anyone can headline Coachella. They can do what they want and still sell the festival.

Gribbz
08-14-2012, 09:19 AM
His Sasquatch set was good. Not great, but good. Not really sure how well that set would be received at a festival like Coachella. Seems as though getting up there and playing your music isn't enough. See: Radiohead/Gorillaz. The Coachella audience demands something more. If I saw the same set again, I'd be pretty disappointed (especially at a festival like Coachella). Maybe that's just me though.

EDIT* I think it's also fair to point out that I can't stand Jack White. Very talented though.

concertgoer
08-14-2012, 09:22 AM
sounds like you're the only one. he was incredible at lolla last week.

This
I am totally sold on him headlining a night next year
I think it will be Friday though

808HiLife
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Thats roughly the same set time that The Black Keys played before Muse on the main in 2011, and they ended up being the friday headliner last year so I definitely think he's got a good chance. He also rocked it on Sunday at Lolla

CoachellaDan
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
he played a down tempo set with his male bad which seem to be the inferior band. I went in a big fan but know a boring set when I see one

I would have thought you would have appreciated a more mellow set like that.

mikey1313666
08-14-2012, 10:46 AM
wasn't too impressed wth his OSL set. A decent amount of it seemed kinda unrehearsed. He could headline, I just doubt it

MostlyMellow
08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I would have thought you would have appreciated a more mellow set like that.

well I was just picturing in my head going in that I was going to witness some guitar master just blow me away. The experience was just completely the opposite. He seems more content doing Americana than rock. I just went in with the wrong mindset

Dede' Arneaux
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm a big fan of Jack. I'd welcome him playing again in any guise and at any time.
The Dead Weather were fantastic in 2010.
I'm not sure he'd headline.

JustSteve
08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
well I was just picturing in my head going in that I was going to witness some guitar master just blow me away. The experience was just completely the opposite. He seems more content doing Americana than rock. I just went in with the wrong mindset

Well, he is touring on his first solo album which is pretty bare bones. Probably have to wait until more Dead Weather or Raconteurs to get the rock.

Mr. Dylanja
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I enjoyed his OSL set, however, I don't think that set would translate well at all to the Coachella crowd.

Gribbz
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I enjoyed his OSL set, however, I don't think that set would translate well at all to the Coachella crowd.

Yup. OSL and Sasquatch are different beasts.

EDIT* And to an extent, Lolla. Didn't Deadmau5 technically "headline" a few years back?

PlayaDelWes
08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
it seems like most people here think the white stripes could headline, but i promise you, meg is not what made them great. jack is fantastic on his own and he plays mostly from his other bands. also, the white stripes songs with a full band sound a lot better live than they did when there was just two of them on stage.
I agree that the current form of Jack Whiteís production is greater than he and Meg ever could be. At this point, itís the rarity of Meg that would be the draw and maybe the rawness of the unique garage sound we were used to growing up with them. But for such a limited sample of his discography, thatís it. I see Meg at this point as no more of a contribution than Jack Lawrence or Alison Mosshart.

Thinking of which, I was watching some old clips of the Racountours last night and while Los Buzzardos and the Peacocks are great support for their songs in Jack's current rotation, it made me really miss how great the Racountours really were and itís just as unlikely that we donít see them again.

Seems as though getting up there and playing your music isn't enough. See: Radiohead/Gorillaz. The Coachella audience demands something more. If I saw the same set again, I'd be pretty disappointed (especially at a festival like Coachella).
You are right about Coachella expecting something special. Simply putting on two hours with one of his bands would be redundant. A set similar to Lolla where he performed with both Los Buzzardos and the Peacocks would need to be the foundation for something much larger, just like Arcade Fire did nine months after their Lolla set of 2010. Since Jack White isnít exactly defined by fireworks, ball-dropping, hologram spectaculars, his best option would be to bring recognizable talent from his prior incarnations with him (Meg, Allison, Jack L., Patrick, Brendon, Buzzardos, and Peacocks) to put on a Snoop & Dre, Gorillaz, or Prince (to an extent) type show.

Mr. Fuzz
08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Oh, I think that he'd be just as magical as Paul McCartney was.

amyzzz
08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
If he had a 2 hour set to work with, I'd bet he'd bring something more.

Gribbz
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Oh, I think that he'd be just as magical as Paul McCartney was.

Well, of course you would. No offense.

Mr. Fuzz
08-15-2012, 10:33 AM
McCartney was magical, dude. Jack is on that level, you need to recognize.

Mr. Dylanja
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
First it was Elvis, now it's McCartney.

concertgoer
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Yup. OSL and Sasquatch are different beasts.

EDIT* And to an extent, Lolla. Didn't Deadmau5 technically "headline" a few years back?

Deadmau5 headlined the North field which is the smaller of the two main stages. Jack headlined the South stage and he drew a big crowd.

JustSteve
08-15-2012, 11:25 AM
There is a great interview on the Sound Opinions podcast with Jack talking about Meg's drumming. How he could bring in every great technical drummer and not one could replicate what Meg did. She also had a lot of issues with the way people talked about/criticized her skills. It was something special to him, something that fit what they were doing perfectly. He was really defending her.

mikey1313666
08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
There is a great interview on the Sound Opinions podcast with Jack talking about Meg's drumming. How he could bring in every great technical drummer and not one could replicate what Meg did. She also had a lot of issues with the way people talked about/criticized her skills. It was something special to him, something that fit what they were doing perfectly. He was really defending her.

Love this

PJandBompton
08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Jack White was one of my most anticipated sets at OSL, and I strongly believe that if he headlines Coachella there will be a mass exodus halfway through the set...

Gribbz
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
First it was Elvis, now it's McCartney.

The Cult of White.

Jack White was one of my most anticipated sets at OSL, and I strongly believe that if he headlines Coachella there will be a mass exodus halfway through the set...
Yup. And like I said, the set I watched was good. Just not that good.

Darth_Bater
08-16-2012, 12:04 PM

This happened during Radiohead weekend 1. What is your point?

MostlyMellow
08-16-2012, 12:09 PM
oh don't even start with Radiohead vs Jack White.

JW vs Black Keys is better and Id say the keys can put on the better show.

Mr. Fuzz
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
GTFO

PJandBompton
08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
This happened during Radiohead weekend 1. What is your point?

Radiohead was left with more of a crowd than Jack White would start with. what is YOUR point?

Coachella Bound
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Dont agree at all.... w/ a headlining spot expect much more than just a one hour jam session. And for those that werent there the whole crowd chanted the chorus to Seven Nation Army for a good 2 or 3 minutes after the set was over as Jack & Co were taking a bow. I truely feel the sound and energy of the set depended entirely on where you were positioned in the crowd. An issue you wont deal w/ at Coachella.

Mr. Fuzz
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Yeah, to watch Daft Punk close out the Sahara. :rolleyes

amyzzz
08-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Yeah, to watch Daft Punk close out the Sahara. :rolleyesYikes that would be an awful conflict.

Coachella Bound
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
except for the fact that theres no way Daft Punk plays the Sahara....

so instead it would be Jack White < Daft Punk on the main

everybody wins!

Mr. Fuzz
08-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Well, I was taking a jab at Daft Punk.

Bumblebee
08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure how much Jack is currently on speaking terms with Meg.

AFAIK, she hasn't touched a drumstick in 5 years. Except for the final New York Conan show she hasn't made a public appearance and Ive never seen photo.

I think she became a mother but never made a statement.

narek23
08-17-2012, 09:52 AM

so true! i loved hearing those songs played the way they deserve to be played with a full band. im so happy he's not limiting himself with the 2 person "gimmick" anymore. Hotel Yorba is a song I really enjoy and I thought the violin solo added to and complemented that song very well. Not sure if they had pedal steel guitar on that one too, but it was all good. Who cares if he headlines, as long as he's there

JustSteve
08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
The 2 person thing was never a gimmick, it worked for what they were doing incredibly well.

grichsgang
08-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Thats roughly the same set time that The Black Keys played before Muse on the main in 2011, and they ended up being the friday headliner last year so I definitely think he's got a good chance. He also rocked it on Sunday at Lolla

The Keys played in front of KofL on Friday in '11. Muse headlined in '10.

Bumblebee
08-21-2012, 10:28 PM
If he had a 2 hour set to work with, I'd bet he'd bring something more.

Hell, bring out Tom Jones, Stephen Colbert, Conan, Loretta......etc

Talking with a friend that's a Jack superfan he suggested letting Jack curate one of the tents for a day.

amyzzz
08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
YES to curating a tent. That's a fabulous idea.

mikey1313666
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Signed on the curation

Coachella Bound
08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
jPLq7mHjdG8

MostlyMellow
08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
this is an accurate depiction of his live show

Coachella Bound
08-23-2012, 10:53 AM
really......? acoustic guitars, hand clapping percussion, and Pete Townshend....

well sign me up.

b_dougie
08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Saw his set at Outside Lands: very very White Stripes heavy (about half the songs, it seemed like), then some solo stuff off Blunderbuss, and a Dead Weather and Raconteurs song or two. He's an amazing performer, but I really can't see him getting a headlining slot unless he does something major/puts out another fantastic album. If he plays, I'll be there for sure

Phunkevil
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I think the average Coachella attendee would find his set boring. Especially when you look at OSL reviews from some of his fans.. "Disappointing" seems to be the most used word.

Coachella Bound
08-23-2012, 12:28 PM
i still dont understand why people are comparing his OSL set (not a headlining spot, and only an hour) to the possability of a 2 hour + headlining spot at one of the biggest festivals in the world.....

grichsgang
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
He's become a bit Clapton-esque, in a good way. He's a virtuoso player that played in a ton of bands while young, including a highly influential, seminal band, followed by a good solo career, playing stuff from throughout that time.

heart cooks brain
08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
jack and the bands slayed lollapalooza.

I can see casual fans being bored in the middle of the set, but like other people have said, mass exodus at radiohead, who fucking cares.

concertgoer
08-23-2012, 05:02 PM
jack and the bands slayed lollapalooza.

I can see casual fans being bored in the middle of the set, but like other people have said, mass exodus at radiohead, who fucking cares.

This
An hour long set at OSL is not a good representation of what he would do as a headliner at Coachella

Bumblebee
08-23-2012, 08:26 PM
This
An hour long set at OSL is not a good representation of what he would do as a headliner at Coachella
Jack got a 105 minute(1 hour 45 mins) set a Lolla. The same as his solo shows give or take 5 minutes.

stinkbutt
08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
If you can't keep an audience engaged for 60 minutes why would 90-120 be any better?

Coachella Bound
08-23-2012, 08:41 PM
both bands.... for one.

And it would appear the opinions are weighted pretty evenly... i think a lot of people that saw his OSL set had different expectations and were affected by where they stood in the crowed. Everyone that saw him at Lolla seemed to love it.

stinkbutt
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
He plays with one or both bands depending on set length?

Coachella Bound
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
yep... only his headlining dates has he had both bands.

Coachella Bound
08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
OSL Set -
With The Buzzards:
I'm Shakin'
(Little Willie John song)
Black Math
(The White Stripes song)
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
(The White Stripes song)
Freedom At 21
Missing Pieces
Weep Themselves to Sleep
Two Against One
(Rome)
Top Yourself
(The Raconteurs song)
Hotel Yorba
(The White Stripes song)
Cannon/John the Revelator
(The White Stripes song)
We're Going to Be Friends
(The White Stripes song)
I Guess I Should Go to Sleep
Take Me With You When You Go
I Cut Like A Buffalo
(The Dead Weather song)
The Same Boy You've Always Known
(The White Stripes song)
Catch Hell Blues
(The White Stripes song)
Seven Nation Army
(The White Stripes song)

Lolla Set -
The Buzzards:
Sixteen Saltines
Black Math
(The White Stripes song)
Missing Pieces
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
(The White Stripes song)
Wasting My Time
(The White Stripes song)
Hypocritical Kiss
Cannon/ Nitro/ John the Revelator
(The White Stripes song)
Two Against One [Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi]
The Same Boy You've Always Known
(The White Stripes song)
Take Me With You When You Go

with The Peacocks
Love Interruption
Weep Themselves to Sleep
Hotel Yorba
(The White Stripes song)
Top Yourself
(The Raconteurs song)
Blue Blood Blues
(The Dead Weather song) (Screwdriver intro)
Ball and Biscuit
(The White Stripes song)
Encore:
Steady, As She Goes
(The Raconteurs song)
The Hardest Button to Button
(The White Stripes song)
Freedom At 21
Seven Nation Army
(The White Stripes song)

stinkbutt
08-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Well who would bitch if half the songs were White Stripes songs like that setlist?