PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight movie theater shooting in Denver

Pages : [1] 2

choice cat
07-20-2012, 02:52 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html

(CNN) -- At least 14 people were killed and 50 wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.
The heavily armed suspect, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was apprehended by police in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman told CNN. The identity of the suspect has not immediately been released.
"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.
KMGH: Mass shooting inside Auroa movie theater
Witness saw little girl who wasn't moving Video: Chaos at theater shooting scene Police describe Batman shooting scene
Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman.
The mass shooting occurred during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater, police and witnesses said.
"We saw people running around and screaming," a man, who was not identified, told CNN affiliate KUSA.
KUSA: One person in custody
He said there was confusion in the theater when the shooting began because many believed the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie.
Oates said that the suspect used some sort of "smoke device" before opening fire in the theater.
Witnesses, however, told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.
KWGN: Witnesses first thought gunfire was part of movie
Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.
"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.

Mike Litoris
07-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Absolutely fucking nuts.
Someone on reddit is also posting about it here (http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/wv4q2/someone_came_into_our_theater_at_the_midnight/)

Also, video from the theatre
T7sIiqq66rk

betao
07-20-2012, 04:09 AM
Who the hell pulls out their cell phone to capture video of chaos in something like this? I mean I've never been in a situation like this, but I can't imagine one of my first instincts being to film it with my cell phone.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 04:16 AM
This is so fucked up. I can't imagine how scary this must've been. and yeah, why would you stay and try to film something?

sonofhal
07-20-2012, 05:08 AM
This woman survived a recent shooting only to be shot dead at the Batman screening. Her last blog post makes pretty sad reading.

http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 05:53 AM
The blame is going to hit Rush like a ton of bricks. Also Aurora is a shithole.

marooko
07-20-2012, 05:59 AM
This would never happen if people didn't have guns. And what the fuck is in your water, Colorado? Damn.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 06:04 AM
This would never happen if people didn't have guns.

that's not true at all.

vulcandeathgrip
07-20-2012, 06:07 AM
This is incredibly fucked up and sad. Both the shooting and the filming and the uploading to youtube are horrible indictment on society. I have to believe a "healthy" person does neither of those things.

My heart goes out to those affected.

marooko
07-20-2012, 06:12 AM
that's not true at all.

Swift.

If that's not clear, I'm a very happy gun owner. Just the other day a friend with basic gun safety. They had a loaded firearm that they didn't even know was loaded. Education would go much further than a gun ban.

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm pretty sure this guy knew they were loaded.

sonofhal
07-20-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a lot harder to go on a shooting spree without a gun.

obzen
07-20-2012, 06:52 AM
What a fucking coward.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 07:04 AM
this was on reddit from one of the people in the theater:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/wv4q2/someone_came_into_our_theater_at_the_midnight/

Boyfriend and I have evacuated safe and sound. The shooting began during a gunfight scene in the movie, and at first, we thought it was special effects when smoke rose up. When shots happened again and people began to run, we thought something was up. A guy ran in and shouted there was a gunman in the building, and the alarms to emergency evacuate started to go off.
I now know what tear gas feels like. I've never had to 'get down' with a police officer screaming at us. This is the most fucked up night of my short life. I need an army of kitten photos stat.
http://whotalking.com/Century+16
[Edit] Thank you for the well wishes everyone. Heart is still racing, especially reading up on it still. Apparently, not long after we evacuated the premises, an explosion went off, and the death toll has risen to 12, with 20 more injured: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/365147/20120720/aurora-dark-knight-rises-batman-colorado-shooting.htm
[Edit 2] This blew up really quickly. While this is not the way that I would have liked to make it to the front page, I'm happy that reddit has reacted in such a way to keep everyone, including myself, up to date. I'm trying to read all comments, so if I accidentally skip over yours, in advance, I apologize.
[Edit 3] I feel like I should answer a few questions that are being repeated in the comments.
-While we thought that there was a gunman in our theater when we heard the shots, it turns out it was just one gunman in the theater over, and the shots came through the wall into ours. It sounded like pistol shots at first, and we saw smoke rising, creating immediate confusion as to whether it was a theater stunt for the film or if something was terribly wrong.
-We were located near the top of the theater and were able to exit safely through the second story exit. When we got onto the balcony we saw police in the lobby with shotguns. They told us to stay low and make our way quickly to the stairs to exit the theater.
-The reason we didn't go to the high school when we evacuated was because we were one of the first to evacuate. As we were leaving the theater, some people from other cinemas were standing around, still confused and had no idea there was even an gunman inside. After getting permission from a police officer, we managed to get out of the parking lot and go straight home before they blockaded it to let the emergency vehicles through.
-No, I wasn't karma whoring. If I seem(ed) insensitive, it's because I have never been in a situation like this before, I was/am in shock, and had no idea what to do. This morning I am responding to a flood of texts. As for the karma whoring allegation: http://imgur.com/2xMqg
P.S Fandango just emailed me asking to review the movie: http://imgur.com/V9g4Z
If I am acting insensitively I apologize, I suppose it's just how I deal with things. I am an awkward person.
And finally, for everyone calling me a terrible person: http://imgur.com/gWw2l

marooko
07-20-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm pretty sure this guy knew they were loaded.

He also had a complete lack of respect for, well, everything. Including the guns he had. I've read three articles on this so far, anyone see anything about these guns being properly registered? I have not.

I'm pretty sure it's a lot harder to go on a shooting spree without a gun.

It's also harder to get a legal gun than it is to get an illegal gun. Drugs-Legal. Guns-Illegal. Right. Either way, it's a senseless argument, they're not being taken away. Lets argue abortion next.

schoolofruckus
07-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Dropping 2nd Amendment rhetoric hours after a senseless shooting....ha ha ha, there's our silly marooko.

suprefan
07-20-2012, 07:21 AM
http://www.reddit.com/tb/wvbbk

schoolofruckus
07-20-2012, 07:23 AM
PS - Can we get a headcount from the Denver contingent?

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 07:26 AM
It shows you how fucking much the NRA has already won when the majority of people "politicizing" it at this point are people who are preemptively suggesting things to the effect of "it will be an outrage if anyone attempts to use this tragedy as an excuse to take away gun rights."

fatbastard
07-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Ron OK?

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 07:28 AM
This dude is cr**** neighbor. RIP cr*****?

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 07:33 AM
This used to be my theater growing up. This is 100% tea party racist mentally unstable asshole that did this.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 07:35 AM
http://www.reddit.com/tb/wvbbk

looks like it just grazed him. guy got lucky.

ThatGirl
07-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Senseless and sickening.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 07:48 AM
that's not true at all.

How? It pretty clearly would not happen without guns. Step back and think about that response for a second, just logically.

Somewhat Damaged
07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
The blame is going to hit Rush like a ton of bricks. Also Aurora is a shithole.

While I'm no fan of the asshole, I certainly hope nobody makes that leap. Would be as irresponsible as the time when people thought the guy who shot Gabi Giffords was inspired by Sarah Palin's rhetoric.

He also had a complete lack of respect for, well, everything. Including the guns he had. I've read three articles on this so far, anyone see anything about these guns being properly registered? I have not.

Yeah, because they would've been able to access that information in the last 8 hours. Not to say they were, just that it's stupid to suggest they weren't because you haven't seen mention of whether they were registered just hours after the shooting occurred, and in the wee hours of the morning at that.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 07:57 AM
How? It pretty clearly would not happen without guns. Step back and think about that response for a second, just logically.

technically it's true that without guns there would be no gun violence, but that's the same as saying there would be no vehicle related deaths if people didn't have cars.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 08:00 AM
While I'm no fan of the asshole, I certainly hope nobody makes that leap. Would be as irresponsible as the time when people thought the guy who shot Gabi Giffords was inspired by Sarah Palin's rhetoric.

Yeah, because they would've been able to access that information in the last 8 hours. Not to say they were, just that it's stupid to suggest they weren't because you haven't seen mention of whether they were registered just hours after the shooting occurred, and in the wee hours of the morning at that.

It's a catalyst I'm not blaming rush but I do think he has a role in it. Why does a psychopath choose a predominantly black theater and of all movies the dark night to shoot up?

vogina
07-20-2012, 08:02 AM
You think they will get rid of cosplay at showings like this? I mean with Nerd's around the world orgasm over films like these, I could see it happening because of this.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 08:15 AM
technically it's true that without guns there would be no gun violence, but that's the same as saying there would be no vehicle related deaths if people didn't have cars.

It's not technically true. It's true. Without guns, it's not possible to have a mass shooting.

There would still be vehicle related deaths. Cars are not the only vehicle. Cars are also designed to do something besides kill. Whether they are used for another purpose, a gun's primary purpose is to end something's life. This shouldn't be an arguable point, and it's pretty sad that it is.

sonofhal
07-20-2012, 08:16 AM

Is there big spates of vehicle related violence?

What is your next argument? If we had no hearts there would be no heart attacks?

xuclarockerx
07-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Now accepting proposals for how we rid the world of all guns

Dogvolta
07-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Of all of the tragic news of deaths, child deaths, massacres over seas, war, etc. for some damned odd reason this news really disturbed me when I heard about it at work early this morning.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
It's not technically true. It's true. Without guns, it's not possible to have a mass shooting.

obviously this is true. you could say without planes there would be no plane crashes.

There would still be vehicle related deaths. Cars are not the only vehicle. Cars are also designed to do something besides kill.
My point is that if you take something away then of course it won't lead to anything that could be caused by the object in question.

Whether they are used for another purpose, a gun's primary purpose is to end something's life.
I sort of agree with this but the main reason that people own guns is for defense (excluding hunters), not harming other people.

This shouldn't be an arguable point, and it's pretty sad that it is.
agreed.

still, one persons actions shouldn't be used to condemn everyone else's. the majority of licensed gun owners are very responsible. i don't hate all muslims because terrorists twist the teachings of Islam to harm people. No matter what the circumstance there will always be people that are fucked in the head and do horrible things such as this.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 08:24 AM

What is your next argument? If we had no hearts there would be no heart attacks?

kind of my point. it's an obvious thing to say that without ____ there would be no ____.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 08:32 AM
still, one persons actions shouldn't be used to condemn everyone else's. the majority of licensed gun owners are very responsible. i don't hate all muslims because terrorists twist the teachings of Islam to harm people. No matter what the circumstance there will always be people that are fucked in the head and do horrible things such as this.

No, but things like this should (and never do) lead to a more level-headed and logical discussion of gun control laws. I can think of no conceivable purpose why any private individual would ever need an AR-15, be it for personal protection or hunting. That weapon is not designed for small-scale individual protection, and it'd leave your potential dinner riddled with holes and lead. It is a killing machine, and it should not be privately held. Never mind the paranoia that goes into the thought that someone would have to keep a gun in their house "for protection."

marooko
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Now accepting proposals for how we rid the world of all guns

Hugs.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 08:36 AM
No, but things like this should (and never do) lead to a more level-headed and logical discussion of gun control laws. I can think of no conceivable purpose why any private individual would ever need an AR-15, be it for personal protection or hunting. That weapon is not designed for small-scale individual protection, and it'd leave your potential dinner riddled with holes and lead. It is a killing machine, and it should not be privately held. Never mind the paranoia that goes into the thought that someone would have to keep a gun in their house "for protection."

Well I completely agree with this. I've never understood private citizens needing combat rifles. I was thinking about handguns primarily.

Somewhat Damaged
07-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Of all of the tragic news of deaths, child deaths, massacres over seas, war, etc. for some damned odd reason this news really disturbed me when I heard about it at work early this morning.

The guy who sits next to me is due to see The Dark Knight Rises tonight & is paranoid that something's going to happen at his screening, so your feelings aren't uncommon. It's due to the randomness and relatability to the situation; could have just as well been the showing anyone else was attending. No way to really prepare oneself for or take measures to avoid the situation because of how unpredictable it is.

I expect security at movie theaters around the country is going to be heightened this weekend. At a former job, we had guards assigned to a theater in an urban part of town and when, say, the Notorious B.I.G. biopic was released, they upped their request of guard coverage from 1 on Friday night, 12p-12a Saturday, and 5p-12a Sunday to 2 guards 24 hours that entire weekend. Kind of overblown, if you ask me, but the guards appreciated the shifts.

RedHotSgtPeppers
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Also, the logic against taking away people's legal rights to own guns makes people defenseless in their own homes. People that want to get guns to senselessly kill people are going to find a way to get them and use them against people they know won't have guns.

Drugs are illegal, people still have drugs. Alcohol was illegal during the Prohibition, people still drank. Just because the government takes away something dangerous does not mean that it's going to stop, it just makes it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to acquire it; just because there are some crazy people out there who kill people with guns does not mean that guns should be taken away from everyone.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I was at a theatre last night to see a 7pm showing Brave with my children, and this resonates with me as well. There were midnight screenings of Batman there, and the lines were forming as we left the theatre.

citizenerased
07-20-2012, 09:09 AM
At least ban civilians from owning damn assault rifles. Absolutely no reason we need them.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Having and using the guns seems a bit easier and more effective than making and bringing pipe bombs to the theatre.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Not absurd. A shooting cannot happen without guns. A pipe bomb attack is a different thing. Similar result? Maybe. But it's not this instance. Acknowledged, there are other ways to kill people, but that's not what happened here.

And why can't it be both a mental health problem and a gun control problem? Isn't it a problem that people with serious mental health issues can get ahold of an automatic firearm? While we don't know how he got the gun, it's safe to say that, if this is a mental health issue (likely) that he should not have had the gun in the first place.

casey
07-20-2012, 09:15 AM
With a clean criminal record and no ties to terrorism, he would have been able to obtain at least the handguns just like anyone else. Do we need stricter gun laws? Probably, however I don't think it would have stopped this guy.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
http://thismodernworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/TMW2011-01-12acolorlowres-copy-2.jpg

RedHotSgtPeppers
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Not absurd. A shooting cannot happen without guns. A pipe bomb attack is a different thing. Similar result? Maybe. But it's not this instance. Acknowledged, there are other ways to kill people, but that's not what happened here.

And why can't it be both a mental health problem and a gun control problem? Isn't it a problem that people with serious mental health issues can get ahold of an automatic firearm? While we don't know how he got the gun, it's safe to say that, if this is a mental health issue (likely) that he should not have had the gun in the first place.

Let's dissect this for a second here.
If a crazy person wants a gun, he'll get a gun. An arms dealer isn't going to require a mental health screening before he sells a gun to someone. Sane people who want to legally own a gun can do so through the proper channels. If someone is going to massacre a bunch of people with a gun, he's going to find a way to do so whether guns are illegal or not. Even IF every single gun in the United States were somehow collected up and destroyed, people would STILL find a way to bring them into this country and kill people.

I'm not saying it isn't tragic or a problem that a crazy person got ahold of an automatic and that he shouldn't have gotten one; it doesn't give allowance to the government to take away a basic right just because a mentally unstable person acquired one.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 09:20 AM
If a crazy person wants a gun and there are more strict gun laws, it will take him longer to get a gun, if at all.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Jesus christ. Why is it that whenever gun CONTROL is discussed, peoples' responses are always "DURKA THEY WANNA TAKE THE GUNS AWAY!!!!"

If there were stricter regulations on the purchase and transfer of weapons, yes, he might still be able to get one. But it would be MUCH harder. And if we just required registration of every weapon, then there would be some accountability for weapons getting out there. Look at the comic up there: guns are not going to be taken away. There are too many lobbyists ensuring that. Why can't we nevertheless have stricter control of them? As it stands right now, in many states you can transfer title to a gun just by reselling it, but in order to transfer title to a car you have to re-register the vehicle in the new owner's name. Why isn't a similar requirement in place for something that is, at very least, equally dangerous?

marooko
07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Alcohol was illegal during the Prohibition, people still drank.

So if they ban guns all we have to do is kill enough people to get them back?

Somewhat, me suggesting they were illegal because there was no mention is just as stupid as you assuming that's what I was suggesting. I wasn't suggesting that they were illegal because it wasn't mentioned, but I am willing to put money on them being illegal. Sure, that may not be their first priority, but it will eventually come out.

And yeah, there is no legitimate reason for the people to have fully automatic weapons or assault style rifles, which can easily be manipulated.

Mr. Fuzz
07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Only crazy people own guns.

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
With nearly 300 million guns currently held by private civilians, the horse has left the barn.

ThatGirl
07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
And yeah, there is no legitimate reason for the people to have fully automatic weapons or assault style rifles, which can easily be manipulated.

The only purpose they serve is a murderous one, no good reason for them to even exist.

RedHotSgtPeppers
07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
So if they ban guns all we have to do is kill enough people to get them back?

Somewhat, me suggesting they were illegal because there was no mention is just as stupid as you assuming that's what I was suggesting. I wasn't suggesting that they were illegal because it wasn't mentioned, but I am willing to put money on them being illegal. Sure, that may not be their first priority, but it will eventually come out.

I wasn't making that point with alcohol. My point was that the government deemed alcohol to be overly dangerous and destructive to the point to doing away with it, yet people still found a way to acquire alcohol. Just because you try to take something away doesn't mean the problems associated with it are going to go away too.

RedHotSgtPeppers
07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
The only purpose they serve is a murderous one, no good reason for them to even exist.

I have to say, they are fun as shit to shoot.

EDIT: to shoot at stationary paper targets or the like, not at people.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
I always patiently wait for gun rights proponents to join liberals in requesting increased funding for Medicaid and mental health programs, especially for mental health care and intervention in school-aged children. Just like I always patiently wait for pro life advocates to join liberals in requesting additional child care, nutrition, and health care funding.

RedHotSgtPeppers
07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

bmack86
07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
With nearly 300 million guns currently held by private civilians, the horse has left the barn.

But defeatism is a sad approach to a real problem. Surely there are ways we can work with, rather than against, sensible gun owners to create greater oversight and regulation of weaponry. They are out there and aren't going away, so turning a blind eye or saying, "well, what can we do," doesn't make anything better.

marooko
07-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I wasn't making that point with alcohol.

I know you weren't, I was just being an ass. Also pointing out that banning guns will do absolutely nothing to solve the problem, as it did nothing with alcohol. Gun control and education, and much stricter laws for offenders.

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
But defeatism is a sad approach to a real problem. Surely there are ways we can work with, rather than against, sensible gun owners to create greater oversight and regulation of weaponry. They are out there and aren't going away, so turning a blind eye or saying, "well, what can we do," doesn't make anything better.
How can you not feel defeated? My first reaction was to cut out all new gun production. Let's say we do. Then what? Maybe it's the right thing to do with a very long outlook (25+ years), but what do you do with all those outstanding firearms? Don’t quote me on exact numbers, but I think amnesty programs have yielded <1 Million units. I see no reason for this country to produce so many guns and for so many people to have them, but that’s the reality.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I guess I have faith in the possibility of action actually happening at some level. Maybe it's misguided, but I would hope that, eventually, there could be a real dialogue between the both sides, where both acknowledge that guns are not going to go away in the near future, but that we should have some sensible, strict regulations like we do with so many other consumer goods.

disgustipated
07-20-2012, 09:55 AM

I agree with the fact that combat rifles are not a necessity. However, I own three shotguns for hunting as well as personal protection. Last month while My three week old daughter and I were sleeping an intruder broke into my house. While I didnt have.to shoot the asshole, it was enough to scare him into falling down the stairs and breaking.a leg. I held him at gun point until the cops arrived. The guy was carrying aknife the size of.my leg. I s would hate to think of the out come if I didn't have my gun.

This tragedy isnt an arguement for gun control, it's an argument dor birth control.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Just because the government takes away something dangerous does not mean that it's going to stop, it just makes it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to acquire it; just because there are some crazy people out there who kill people with guns does not mean that guns should be taken away from everyone.
Agreed.

This is a mental health problem, not a gun control problem.
Yes.

At least ban civilians from owning damn assault rifles. Absolutely no reason we need them.
Problem is - the average citizen doesn't care, the person who wants the assault rifle will find one, legit or black market. I know a few folks who have AK47s.

Having and using the guns seems a bit easier and more effective than making and bringing pipe bombs to the theatre.
This is the age of the internet, folks have many resources now, hello...Hector T Salamanca?! DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Problem is how do we determine these crazies before they apply for these positions? How do we as a country allow people to own guns and properly screen them? A background check isn't enough. I'm a felon, but I know for a fact I am probably far more responsible with a gun than most folks who can have one. There is no background check for crazy, hell, if I wasn't so honest at the last shooting range I went to, I could've had a hand gun in my hands within 20 minutes of walking in the door. He even checked my ID. So there is definitely a flaw in the system, these are deadly tools, and fortunately for most of us, we have grown up in regions where we don't see the critical need of these tools saving our lives/hunting for food. I'm sure if we all lived in the shacks of Rio de Janiero with local gangs harassing our family/friends on a constant basis, we would have different perspectives on the need for a weapon for protection.

If a crazy person wants a gun and there are more strict gun laws, it will take him longer to get a gun, if at all.
Yep...there definitely needs to be some changes in the system, I feel like the internet hasn't helped either, there have been more shootings every year since Columbine. Its really sad; one person deciding they aren't strong enough to make it through life so they lash out on people they don't know to punish them for whatever reason.

Why I say the Internet hasn't helped, is mainly due to the exposure, most of these gunners are males under 25. Who knows what delusional ideas of grandeur develop in the heads of these nutjobs, but the internet makes them known. The Columbine shootings were a huge thing we analyzed in school, scape goats were first brought up (Doom, goth culture, Marilyn Manson) it took a few weeks to clarify that these kids were just crazy outcast, not some Satanic Manson worshipping occultist. Ever since Columbine, the frequency of shootings increased to almost one per year at a campus or other place of young people gathering.

People hug your fucking children so they don't go crazy.

disgustipated
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Also. Typing on my tiny phone sucks.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I agree with the fact that combat rifles are not a necessity. However, I own three shotguns for hunting as well as personal protection. Last month while My three week old daughter and I were sleeping an intruder broke into my house. While I didnt have.to shoot the asshole, it was enough to scare him into falling down the stairs and breaking.a leg. I held him at gun point until the cops arrived. The guy was carrying aknife the size of.my leg. I s would hate to think of the out come if I didn't have my gun.

This tragedy isnt an arguement for gun control, it's an argument dor birth control.
Jesus. Good thing you and your family are OK.

With how the economy is going, there is definitely a lot more home invasion, its coming to the suburbs from the cities too, I've heard some terrible 911 calls back in the day where you can hear on the phone someone being murdered. Fuck that. Cops are always too late in most of these situations. LA is a place with crazies left and right, so I can see why some would prefer to have their own weapon on them. The problem is only when people with malicious intent get ahold of these weapons, and there is no simple application that can determine you are a psychopath. "Check 1 for psychotic tendencies, check 2 for being completely normal; if you checked 1, you will not be allowed to get a gun" Not gonna work.

marooko
07-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Bigger phones and bigger guns!!

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
My crazy right wing father is blaming hollywood and videogames.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Why not Marilyn Manson?

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
He hasnt been told to blame him yet. In due time.

xuclarockerx
07-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I used to agree with an assault weapon ban but if they're going to end up in the wrong hands anyway, how is an average citizen going to defend himself with a mere handgun or even a rifle, against possibly an AK-47?

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Gun awareness/education, drug awareness/education, social etiquette and grammar. Things that should be taught in our public schools.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I used to agree with an assault weapon ban but if they're going to end up in the wrong hands anyway, how is an average citizen going to defend himself with a mere handgun or even a rifle, against possibly an AK-47?
Knife throwing

Somewhat Damaged
07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
In regards to mental health prohibitions, this is what's applicable in Arizona:

State law prohibits the possession of firearms by "prohibited possessors". These prohibited possessors include:

Anyone who has been found to constitute a danger to self or to others or to be persistently or acutely disabled or gravely disabled pursuant to court order under ARS 36-540, and whose right to possess a firearm has not been restored pursuant to ARS 13-925.[27] The prohibition against owning a firearm by a person found to be a danger to himself or others or persistently or acutely disabled or gravely disabled continues in effect even after the expiration of the mental health court order itself (365 days). Instead, a person whose right to possess a firearm was forfeited as part of a mental health order must have that right judicially restored by filing a petition with the court requesting a hearing and a court order restoring the right to possess a firearm.[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arizona

So I can't legally possess a gun due to having been considered a danger to myself & others 13 years ago. I know I shouldn't own a gun because the temptation to use it irresponsibly would be too great too frequently. But if I gave enough of a shit to get one legally, I'd just have to petition to get the right restored, and considering how stable the state has known me to be for the last decade, I'd probably be successful. That's kind of frightening.

Grandma
07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image/Arnold_Crimp.jpg

bmack86
07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
It's not about Dem Takin 'R Guns. It's about effectively using limited public resources in the best way possible. You aren't going to stop guns. EVER. You could dream up every possible way to prevent someone from getting a gun and implement it but you'll never stop people. What do you do about people who make guns at home? Hmmm? The technology and knowledge is out there and you can't stop it. So let's treat the problem and not the symptom.

I think a case could be made for improving gun control regulations, but pretending like just getting rid of guns will magically solve everything is foolish.

Reading comprehension issues? How many posts did I make in the past two pages specifically saying that CONTROL, not getting rid of guns, is what I feel the focus should be? (Also, how have you made over 12,000 posts without me noticing you before?)

And, to ucla kid, really?! I hope that's sarcasm, because otherwise, wow.

Somewhat Damaged
07-20-2012, 11:04 AM
I always patiently wait for gun rights proponents to join liberals in requesting increased funding for Medicaid and mental health programs, especially for mental health care and intervention in school-aged children. Just like I always patiently wait for pro life advocates to join liberals in requesting additional child care, nutrition, and health care funding.

Don't want this to go unrecognized.

marooko
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
With a tank. Duh!

CrimesceneCookie
07-20-2012, 11:26 AM

I should be allowed to have nuclear weapons since they might be used on me one day

GuyInTucson
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
A lot of really paranoid people in this thread. I wonder if some of you are this cautious in other aspects of life.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 11:39 AM
The misinformation begins:

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said the Colorado shooter suspected of opening fire in a suburban Denver movie theater resembled “The Joker”— the archetypal villain from the comic book series—when he attacked. At a news conference on Friday, Kelly said the “deranged” suspect, James Holmes, “had his hair painted red” at the time of the attack and claimed to be “The Joker,” the terrorist played by Heath Ledger in the last Batman film,The Dark Knight. Holmes opened fire during a midnight showing of Christopher Nolan’s sequel, The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 and injuring dozens more. Kelly said the NYPD has stepped up security in New York City movie theaters “as a precaution against copycats” and to ease fears in the wake of the awful Colorado shooting.

Witness accounts are streaming in from Aurora, Colo., where a gunman opened fire at a movie theater this morning, killing 12 and wounding scores more. “I just saw dead bodies everywhere,” Jennifer Seeger, 22, told The Daily Beast. “There was a girl who was lifeless on the stairs. I saw a gentleman who was moaning and groaning.” Other witnesses described scenes of confusion and horror to The Associated Press. Sylvana Guillen, 20, said the alleged shooter, James Holmes, appeared dressed as a SWAT team member and told her friend, “You better get ready to be shot.” And Tanner Coon, while making his escape, tried to rouse a woman covered in blood, but couldn’t—he “presumed she was dead.” People in the adjacent theater also saw bullet holes appear in the wall about 20 minutes into the movie.

These two stories are right next one another on TheDailyBeast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheets/2012/07/20/cheat-sheet.html)

Facetious Onion is facetious (http://www.theonion.com/articles/sadly-nation-knows-exactly-how-colorado-shootings,28857/)

"Oh, and here's another thing I hate I know," Brennen continued, "In exactly two weeks this will all be over and it will be like it never happened."

bmack86
07-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Why would the NYPD Commissioner know anything about the guy's appearance? Well done news.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-20-2012, 11:56 AM
That dude doesn't even know the color of The Joker's hair, pfft

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
07-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Why not Marilyn Manson?

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/20/marilyn-mansons-1999-essay-o.html?tw_p=twt

I absolutely hated Marilyn Manson back in the Columbine days, but even I had to call bullshit on the media using him and goth culture as a scapegoat for that particular tragedy.

Dogvolta
07-20-2012, 12:07 PM
With the internet (memes, 4chan culture, etc.) the glory and fame of such acts is definitely a scary factor in all of this.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
INTERNET IS TO BLAME.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image/Arnold_Crimp.jpg

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image/DarkKnight_priest.jpg

http://images.politico.com/global/news/110303_louie_gohmert_ap_605.jpg

"ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs"

fucking creepy.

sonofhal
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
If your argument for no gun control is they'll get hold of them anyway, then why not just legalise everything? I mean, they'll get hold of it anyway if they want to, right?

Just off to Walmart to buy a suitcase nuke.

Gun deaths per 100,000 population per year.

US 10.27
UK 0.46

You'd expect ours to be higher, as we can't defend ourselves and people can get guns anywhere if they want to.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Watever we kicked your ass in world war 2.

JustSteve
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/311642_424034530973571_1282167929_n.jpg

JustSteve
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
read somewhere that the shooter's mom mentioned thinking something like this might happen. at what point can we start holding the parents of these people who commit these insane acts responsible?

marooko
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I thought the gun "control" vs. gun "ban" argument was clarified.

sonofhal
07-20-2012, 12:44 PM
American school system obviously shit hot in the history dept.

TickleMeElmo
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Forget about gun control, let's just ban Call of Duty. Seriously, fuck those games.

jackstraw94086
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM

I admire you all for your perseverence in avoiding the obvious point.

jackstraw94086
07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
American school system obviously shit hot in the history dept.

Did you honestly believe he was being serious about the WWII crack?

sonofhal
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
To be honest, it's getting hard to tell.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
read somewhere that the shooter's mom mentioned thinking something like this might happen. at what point can we start holding the parents of these people who commit these insane acts responsible?That's ridiculous. He is an adult. What control does the mother have over him anymore?

bmack86
07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
I thought the gun "control" vs. gun "ban" argument was clarified.

Thickness prevails.

IceyHotshot
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Actually it makes me furious when oeople blame mental illness for things like this. It stigmatizes the vast majority of non-violent mentally ill people and I'm sorry but no matter how fucked somebody is in the head it neither explains not justifies killing other human beings.

nyarlathotoats
07-20-2012, 01:20 PM
All day, the news about this has been really disheartening and has been stuck in my head. My thoughts go out to all the victims who were affected by this tragedy.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Actually it makes me furious when oeople blame mental illness for things like this. It stigmatizes the vast majority of non-violent mentally ill people and I'm sorry but no matter how fucked somebody is in the head it neither explains not justifies killing other human beings.

Really? What would be a pc way of classifying a violent mentally ill person?

IceyHotshot
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
It's not about being PC. Mental illness doesn't cause people to kill people. It takes serious character flaws for someone to jump from psychosis to murder.

marooko
07-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Thickness prevails.

Why you looking at my crotch?

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 01:27 PM
YzuKa6o1CSQ

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
It's not about being PC. Mental illness doesn't cause people to kill people. It takes serious character flaws for someone to jump from psychosis to murder.

"loss of contact with reality"

Its not that they are violent all the time some people just lose touch with social right and wrong. Mentally ill/disturbed is the correct term.

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Amy, do you think he should have to pay for any of the damage he did while defacing the theater?

IceyHotshot
07-20-2012, 01:39 PM
"loss of contact with reality"

Its not that they are violent all the time some people just lose touch with social right and wrong. Mentally ill/disturbed is the correct term.

I still disagree. there is also a difference between psychotic and psychopathic. I doubt anyone blaming mental illness for this shit has ever had a psychotic episode.

algunz
07-20-2012, 01:52 PM
That is an interesting distinction, Icey.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that we have a common law tradition dating to about 1500 or so suggesting otherwise.

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Laws are not always the best way to distinguish how society should function in a healthy manner.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but they are usually the best way to distinguish how the society's legal system should do things like, say, assess culpability for murder.

marooko
07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Gunz, that's just crazy.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Amy, do you think he should have to pay for any of the damage he did while defacing the theater?If he has any savings, he should.

As an aside: we are not having my daughter pay for that picture. We are convinced that she did not do it. She is writing a letter to her grandma explaining her side of the story.

IceyHotshot
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but they are usually the best way to distinguish how the society's legal system should do things like, say, assess culpability for murder.

Yes but I'm talking about how I believe things actually are. Obviously pleading insanity will be an option his legal team will consider. It doesn't mean I think it's right.

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Congrats to you and your family. I was on your kid's side from the getgo.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
If your argument for no gun control is they'll get hold of them anyway, then why not just legalise everything? I mean, they'll get hold of it anyway if they want to, right?

Smartest post of the thread (non BMack category).

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Gunz, that's just crazy.

Sometimes crazy ideas are what sparks the needed revolution. There are too many laws, archaic and new, that really have little impact on providing a world order that can guarantee a safe and productive society.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 02:10 PM
On what basis -- legal, ethical, or psychological -- can you support the notion that a person's decision to murder is always reducible to one or more legally-blameworthy "character flaws" -- character flaws, mind you, that by definition would have to be singled out and blamed independently from any co-existing mental disorders that the person may have?

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Sometimes crazy ideas are what sparks the needed revolution. There are too many laws, archaic and new, that really have little impact on providing a world order that can guarantee a safe and productive society.

Yeah, but this isn't some "101 wacky laws still on the books" thing, or like a law saying you can't buy beer on Sunday or whatever. This is a foundational principle of the criminal justice system: if a crime requires a mental intent element, you can't convict a person of having the necessary mental intent if they lack the capacity to understand their actions and/or their consequences due to one or more mental illnesses.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Congrats to you and your family. I was on your kid's side from the getgo.ha. I guess the actual defacing was little mustaches drawn on various religious figures. My daughter would not do that. She's not 4, and she does respect other people's property.

IceyHotshot
07-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Look all I am saying is that mental illness by itself is not a sufficient explanation for murder and I think it is damaging to treat it as such. Obviously it is more complicated than "character flaws" and i concede that. I don't intend to present a thesis on what causes these kinds of actions.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Certainly there are degrees and types of mental illness that can play huge roles in people doing fucked-up things, right? When they're talking about "mental illness," in these cases, just assume they're talking about the type of mental illness that could contribute to someone not thinking straight and firing a gun at a bunch of people. To dismiss how mental illness could have contributed, just because of a fear of stigmatizing general mental illness, would be absolutely foolish.

IceyHotshot
07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
My perception is that in general people take a logical leap from "he's mentally ill" to "that's why he killed people". There has to be something else in that chain. Can mental illness work in concert with other problems or flaws? Absolutely. I am really just beating back at what I see as scapegoatism and intellectual laziness.

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Slight tangent, I was in a theater for a viewing of Nightmare Elm on Street and the theater caught on fire. It began to fill with smoke and it took us an oddly long time to figure out this wasn't part of the movie. I can relate to these people's initial confusion.

guedita
07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Well, it's always problematic to blame a certain action or sequence of actions, especially something like murder of this sort, on a single "reason."

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Some people might posit that a person has to be mentally ill to orchestrate such violence against innocent victims.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
If it's any consolation for you, the insanity defense has been extremely narrowly defined since the 1970s, and it is increasingly rare that a jury finds a defendant not guilty by reason of insanity.

What is more common is for a defendant to not be brought to trial at all upon a finding that they are mentally incompetent to understand the trial or aid in their own defense.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Some men just want to watch the world burn?

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Here's the worthless fuck that did this. Apparently he painted his hair red and told the police "I'm the Joker."

http://i46.tinypic.com/oan7mr.jpg

marooko
07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
No, just rojo.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
I thought eye witnesses said he was dressed in a SWAT team outfit?

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:32 PM
I'd rather not have to look at his picture. Jessica's brother said this crime will be remembered for the victims and survivors not the perpetrator.

SepaGroove
07-20-2012, 02:33 PM

This is something that should really disturb everyone. It seems like no place is safe anymore from piece of shit people like this. And gun control is not the issue here. Revising the system and making it harder for people to get firearms will help a litte bit, but people will always just turn to the black market.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 02:34 PM
My perception is that in general people take a logical leap from "he's mentally ill" to "that's why he killed people". There has to be something else in that chain. Can mental illness work in concert with other problems or flaws? Absolutely. I am really just beating back at what I see as scapegoatism and intellectual laziness.

I think almost all reasonable people are able to make a distinction and understand there are degrees of mental illness. I guess the inherent problem might be that most people aren't reasonable.

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.rachelschallenge.org/

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I find it disturbing that the last two Batman movies have had weird tragedies surrounding them. Is the franchise cursed?

canexplain
07-20-2012, 02:37 PM
My home. Sad for the peeople. I hate guns, always have...... cr****

bmack86
07-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Look all I am saying is that mental illness by itself is not a sufficient explanation for murder and I think it is damaging to treat it as such. Obviously it is more complicated than "character flaws" and i concede that. I don't intend to present a thesis on what causes these kinds of actions.

And you are right in every state except one. A mental illness, in and of itself, is not enough to claim insanity as a defense for a murder. You need the mental illness to have some affect on the way the person acts such that they cannot control themselves or they have a severe misunderstanding of basic principals. And yes, this does happen.

That said, I highly doubt, based on the description of his actions as well as the bombs in his apartment, that he would offer a successful insanity defense in any state except the one that uses the Durham test.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 02:38 PM
I find it disturbing that the last two Batman movies have had weird tragedies surrounding them. Is the franchise cursed?

Yes, let's further the discussion by talking about a potential curse.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 02:39 PM
OMG AMY IM GOIN TO SEE TEH BATMENS MOVIE WILL I GETS BAD JUJU?

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Half-joking. Probably too soon.

jackstraw94086
07-20-2012, 02:40 PM

yes, mental illness actually can be a sufficient explanation for murder. The word you are looking for is "excuse". mental illness should not excuse or absolve someone for murder.

My perception is that in general people take a logical leap from "he's mentally ill" to "that's why he killed people".

yes, sometimes it can be just that simple.

People can get whipped into a frenzied witch hunt when they look too hard for societal/environmental factors at times like these. It's possible that this guy was not cut out for society, and it may not be society's fault. It's too early to tell but this guy's might have a severe chemical imbalance or brain tumor bullying his pre-frontal cortex around, or what have you.

But folks will still go right ahead and try to leverage this to pass bans on violent video games and sport weapons (yes, some guns do happen to have uses other than for ending people's lives), and generally just self-righteously imposing their values on others.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 02:41 PM
This is something that should really disturb everyone. It seems like no place is safe anymore from piece of shit people like this. And gun control is not the issue here. Revising the system and making it harder for people to get firearms will help a litte bit, but people will always just turn to the black market.

We have very little proof of that. Yes, a select few will, but most of those people will be part of some sort of organized crime syndicate. A mentally disturbed person seeking to go on a shooting rampage will be much less likely to have the connections to get in contact with a black market arms dealer.

For reference, do you know who you could contact to get a portable-RPG or weapons-grade plutonium? Both are illegal and sold on the black market, and both are hard to come by. Another specious argument that seems to be borne of paranoia rather than logic.

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 02:43 PM
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intel/2012/07/20/20-nra-twitter.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
For reference, do you know who you could contact to get a portable-RPG or weapons-grade plutonium? Both are illegal and sold on the black market, and both are hard to come by.
http://bit.ly/SM8wy9

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 02:45 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5927379/the-secret-online-weapons-store-thatll-sell-anyone-anything

"The Armory is an anonymous marketplace where you can buy and sell without revealing who you are. We protect your identity through every step of the process, from connecting to this site, to purchasing your items, to finally receiving them."

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 02:46 PM
apparently he booby trapped his apartment with enough explosives that they said could've taken out his and the other buildings around him.

Mugwog
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intel/2012/07/20/20-nra-twitter.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg

Tweets from witnesses (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/20/dark-knight-shooting-tweets-photos-video-from-the-scene.html)

The first one they post... :nono

bmack86
Well, outside of Amazon.

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I can't quite get my mind around this one. Shooting or not what were these parents thinking?

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow-162024554--abc-news-topstories.html?fb_action_ids=3104985842251%2C1010 0267696775616%2C10100555281248899&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_ref=type%3Aread%2Cuser%3AiU9ne77-NZsOmYK8uu6coJKM_sA%2Ctype%3Aread%2Cuser%3AVwDtIVJ 9EjA9ga3PKx6v-XIVflQ&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223104985842251%22%3A1015097 6203664387%2C%2210100267696775616%22%3A10150656880 052391%2C%2210100555281248899%22%3A101510609506331 88%7D&code=AQCp47r0iUmIKHneQH6tKEtz6sSBmG1jlrEjES_U-VfDCcFnvORDlxZ88x-q1eJ12XcPVnLUGhhWwHOAGXkCx7nn9qFHaBr9aUy7At0wmQ_ng PLEjU5Ve13i1M5iXPziVtNDJ9QOOW87JPEJPikzkvkMWGARs9v ML479EtO9iZ7fcdt9v9LG1XttKD2ztarWqCs#_=_

SepaGroove
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
We have very little proof of that. Yes, a select few will, but most of those people will be part of some sort of organized crime syndicate. A mentally disturbed person seeking to go on a shooting rampage will be much less likely to have the connections to get in contact with a black market arms dealer.

For reference, do you know who you could contact to get a portable-RPG or weapons-grade plutonium? Both are illegal and sold on the black market, and both are hard to come by. Another specious argument that seems to be borne of paranoia rather than logic.

I agreed with you and thought you made a good point, until...

This blew my mind.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
I can't quite get my mind around this one. Shooting or not what were these parents thinking?

Who fucking cares. I thought this was 'merica.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Day in a life an Bagdad .... cr*****

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 02:51 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow-162024554--abc-news-topstories.html?fb_action_ids=3104985842251%2C1010 0267696775616%2C10100555281248899&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_ref=type%3Aread%2Cuser%3AiU9ne77-NZsOmYK8uu6coJKM_sA%2Ctype%3Aread%2Cuser%3AVwDtIVJ 9EjA9ga3PKx6v-XIVflQ&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223104985842251%22%3A1015097 6203664387%2C%2210100267696775616%22%3A10150656880 052391%2C%2210100555281248899%22%3A101510609506331 88%7D&code=AQCp47r0iUmIKHneQH6tKEtz6sSBmG1jlrEjES_U-VfDCcFnvORDlxZ88x-q1eJ12XcPVnLUGhhWwHOAGXkCx7nn9qFHaBr9aUy7At0wmQ_ng PLEjU5Ve13i1M5iXPziVtNDJ9QOOW87JPEJPikzkvkMWGARs9v ML479EtO9iZ7fcdt9v9LG1XttKD2ztarWqCs#_=_

Hey, the last time a Batman movie came out, some guy locked his toddler in an 90 degree car in the parking lot of one of the local movie theaters here. The police found him screaming at like 2 in the morning.

thestripe
07-20-2012, 02:51 PM

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
i'm curious as to why the shooter would tell the cops his apartment was rigged with explosives if he was setting out to hurt people.

jackstraw94086
07-20-2012, 02:53 PM

The potential logical flaw you are making here though is assuming outlawing guns is the only or even most productive avenue to reduce violence.

Your RPG/plutonium analogy doesn't really work because there is a very tight supply for those regardless of demand.
Of course creating a huge effort to ban all guns will may very well reduce gun violence to a degree, but you don't know how flexible the black market will be, and we certainly can't say whether working on the societal issues that precipitate gun violence might not have a far greater and sustainable effect. Quoting some statistic about HOW MUCH MORE LIKELY YOU ARE TO DIE by a gun than terrorism is disengenuous (not by you, but others). Movie theater massacres are exceedingly rare. It's mostly people in pre-disposed socio-economic conditions who face that reality. And it's there where the black market would probably blossom. This isn't really about movie theater massacres. And that isn't the problem that needs solving.

I'm not really trying to argue that outlawing all guns isn't a good idea. It probably is. But I suspect we can improve people's lives to a larger degree in other ways.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Wes just got most of the board on an FBI watch list. Thanks.

SoulDischarge
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5927379/the-secret-online-weapons-store-thatll-sell-anyone-anything

"The Armory is an anonymous marketplace where you can buy and sell without revealing who you are. We protect your identity through every step of the process, from connecting to this site, to purchasing your items, to finally receiving them."

REAL LIFE GTA FINALLY

This guy I knew in Chicago lived above some kids who ordered a ton of drugs off that site (Silk Road, not the gun portion).

Tweets from witnesses (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/20/dark-knight-shooting-tweets-photos-video-from-the-scene.html)

The first one they post... :nono

I'm not sure "smh" is the appropriate acronym to describe seeing a little girl get shot. I think "fml" expresses the profound sorrow and horror much more eloquently.

algunz
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey, the last time a Batman movie came out, some guy locked his toddler in an 90 degree car in the parking lot of one of the local movie theaters here. The police found him screaming at like 2 in the morning.

Maybe this should be a conversation about birth control.

SepaGroove
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Wes just got most of the board on an FBI watch list. Thanks.

Haha I was thinking the same thing when I clicked the link he posted. And I'm at work too...

SoulDischarge
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Can we change jackstraw's board title to Devil's Advocate already?

Mr. Fuzz
07-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Anyone going to go see this tonight or this weekend?

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 02:59 PM
has a manifesto emerged yet? there's always a manifesto.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Funny, My home is almost ready to be down for access
.... people suck eh..... cr****

Miroir Noir
07-20-2012, 03:01 PM

http://editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf

CrimesceneCookie
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM

http://youtu.be/QPWsQ7utB2s
there's your manifesto

kitt kat
07-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Has a list of the victims been released yet?

And those people who brought their babies should thank their lucky stars the kids escaped alive. I'm sorry — I know parenting is hard and stressful, but if you absolutely can't get a sitter and you absolutely must bring your tiny infant to a (very loud, violent and long) movie...wait a few days and see a daytime screening for fuck's sake. I want to blame it on them being "young parents" but I really think it's just general stupidity. No reason little kids should be at midnight screenings. That 4 year old will definitely have memories of this which makes me so fucking sad/angry :(

bmack86
07-20-2012, 03:06 PM
The potential logical flaw you are making here though is assuming outlawing guns is the only or even most productive avenue to reduce violence.

Your RPG/plutonium analogy doesn't really work because there is a very tight supply for those regardless of demand.
Of course creating a huge effort to ban all guns will may very well reduce gun violence to a degree, but you don't know how flexible the black market will be, and we certainly can't say whether working on the societal issues that precipitate gun violence might not have a far greater and sustainable effect. Quoting some statistic about HOW MUCH MORE LIKELY YOU ARE TO DIE by a gun than terrorism is disengenuous (not by you, but others). Movie theater massacres are exceedingly rare. It's mostly people in pre-disposed socio-economic conditions who face that reality. And it's there where the black market would probably blossom. This isn't really about movie theater massacres. And that isn't the problem that needs solving.

I'm not really trying to argue that outlawing all guns isn't a good idea. It probably is. But I suspect we can improve people's lives to a larger degree in other ways.

Agreed. And honestly, while I'm personally not a fan of hand guns as a general rule, I'm not for a blanket ban on firearms. I understand their usefulness as sport and hunting tools, I just would like to see more proscriptive regulation so that there is some oversight against things happening. It won't stop things like this, but it would be an added deterrent.

SepaGroove
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
I blame the Swedish House Mafia. Specifically Steve Angello.

marooko
07-20-2012, 03:14 PM
The need to know.

Mr. Fuzz
07-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Holy shit, I really can't believe this story. The guy lets go of his baby and then runs out of the theater without the baby, his daughter and the mother of his childern. And then the motherfucker gets in his car and drives off without them. WTF

Robin
07-20-2012, 03:23 PM

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/563362_10151044400869637_487536793_n.jpg

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 03:23 PM
no fucking way

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/563362_10151044400869637_487536793_n.jpg
Jeez.

kitt kat
07-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Holy shit, I really can't believe this story. The guy lets go of his baby and then runs out of the theater without the baby, his daughter and the mother of his childern. And then the motherfucker gets in his car and drives off without them. WTF

Two kids, super young and unmarried. Not surprised he's pretty uncommitted to his spawn if he can't show legal commitment to the mother of his children. What an asshole. There's still time for the poor girlfriend to bolt!

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know if the guy was an asshole. He was probably just panicking. It happens.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 03:35 PM
you don't leave a baby on the ground in a panicked theater that is being shot up. if the threat of getting shot wasn't bad enough, what if the baby got stepped on by the panicked crowd trying to leave the theater? no excuse for that.

kitt kat
07-20-2012, 03:36 PM
...so you're panicking and it's totally logical to drop your infant on the ground, run out of the theatre and drive away? Leaving the two kids and girlfriend inside?

"Panicking" would be an excuse if he bolted with the infant outside as soon as he could to keep the baby safe, then staying outside to wait for the girlfriend OR giving the baby to an EMT and going back in to grab his girlfriend.. I don't get the logic of leaving the baby on the floor when people are stampeding around in all the chaos. You make a choice to put your baby on the ground, leave the building AND drive away? I'm not gonna believe it was "panicking" — it's you being a motherfucking selfish asshole.

kitt kat
07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
That's neither here nor there at this point; like I said, I hope the girlfriend reconsiders this jerk and thanks her lucky stars she was brave enough to protect her babies.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 03:37 PM

They're saying that their PR isn't based in the U.S., and didn't know why Aurora was trending. I believe that the tweet was posted with no knowledge of the shooting, but there really is no reason why a good and even semi-connected PR person wouldn't know about this. Malicious as it wasn't, someone still dropped the ball and was probably fired as a result.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I don't think he was thinking. It's fine for us all to sit back and judge him, and I know if my husband did that, we'd probably end up divorced, but I think he did what he did because he was panicking. And now he has to live with that for the rest of his life, which sucks. Just my opinion.

ENluv12
07-20-2012, 03:47 PM
...so you're panicking and it's totally logical to drop your infant on the ground, run out of the theatre and drive away? Leaving the two kids and girlfriend inside?

"Panicking" would be an excuse if he bolted with the infant outside as soon as he could to keep the baby safe, then staying outside to wait for the girlfriend OR giving the baby to an EMT and going back in to grab his girlfriend.. I don't get the logic of leaving the baby on the floor when people are stampeding around in all the chaos. You make a choice to put your baby on the ground, leave the building AND drive away? I'm not gonna believe it was "panicking" — it's you being a motherfucking selfish asshole.

yeah, Kat, I have to agree with you on this one. As horrible as it sounds, I could maybe and I mean MAYBE understand if he dropped this kid initially out of panic... but there is absolutely no reason that I can understand someone leaving their children like that. I hope that woman doesn't stay with him. (not that it should really matter to me either way what she does)

guedita
07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Logic doesn't come into play when you are in panic mode, dummies.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Life or death sucks..... colobine .... again ... cr****

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
He seems to realize after the fact that he made a mistake:
"It just felt like the worst thing ever because my son's still in there," he told ABC News. "My girlfriend is still in there. I'm out here. Who leaves their child there?" If he was able to control his panic, I don't think he would have chosen to do that.

PlayaDelWes
07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
A bunch of armchair generals in here

marooko
07-20-2012, 03:56 PM
No way, Playa. I remember being shot at and was like "Everybody stay calm, lets make a plan and get out of here safely. Let me tie my shoes tight so I don't trip." It's the normal thing to do, this guy was a pussy.

Grandma
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
fbHH5xZcVvQ

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Some people panic in high-stress situations and some people don't. I think it might be a genetic thing. I'm pretty sure I'm the panicky type.

kitt kat
07-20-2012, 04:00 PM
It's mainly the driving away part that I really don't get. Like I said, if he ran out and then, realizing his idiocy, went back in to save his family — cool, heat of the moment.

It takes a conscious decision to pull our yr keys, hop in the car and drive away without your family.

Mr. Fuzz
07-20-2012, 04:01 PM
brb bringing infant and 4 year old daughter to midnight showing
brb gun man enters
brb baby is crying
brb drop baby on the floor, don't need it attracting attention to me
brb GTFO of dodge
brb jump in vehicle and head for the hills
brb phone rings
brb it's my girlfriend, wondering where the hell I am
brb my girlfriend rescued crying baby off of the floor and our liitle four year old princess
brb girlfriend's father is sure to come kill this piece of shit

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I wonder if some of you would even remember your name or gender if you were in a room with tear gas, let alone a room with tear gas and someone shooting.

algunz
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
We shouldn't redirect the focus on them, but the couple clearly has some issues to work through.

algunz
07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I wonder if some of you would even remember your name or gender if you were in a room with tear gas, let alone a room with tear gas and someone shooting.

You may not remember your name, but a real dad might forget everything except his kids.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 04:05 PM
I wonder how many people vomitted and shat themselves? to put it bluntly.

Mugwog
07-20-2012, 04:10 PM
/thread

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 04:16 PM
What surprises me is that people even went to aurora to see a movie. Every time I'm in that area I'm always expecting to get shot. There is always a shooting at the mall next door. At least 3 a year.

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Cops are all over that theater its very surprising they didn't rush the theater.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Living here within blocks ........sucks ....... gun control ......cr****

Tubesock Shakur
07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
If I was you Ron especially where you live, I would have moved a long time ago.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
You may not remember your name, but a real dad might forget everything except his kids.

Spare me the sentimental bullshit. As Cara said, logic probably doesn't take over in those situations. There's no way you can tell me what you would have done in that situation. I'm sure the dude probably would have said he would have his wits about him enough to save his family, but things were different when faced with the actual situation. It's clearly not the desired outcome, but some of you have some nerve to sit back and judge without knowing what it's like to be in that situation. I have no idea what I would do, honestly. I could take my kids and run out of the theater. I could just freeze and shit myself. I could charge at the gunman, for all I know.

jackstraw94086
07-20-2012, 04:31 PM
They're saying that their PR isn't based in the U.S., and didn't know why Aurora was trending. I believe that the tweet was posted with no knowledge of the shooting, but there really is no reason why a good and even semi-connected PR person wouldn't know about this. Malicious as it wasn't, someone still dropped the ball and was probably fired as a result.

Of course the PR person knew about this, he/she was making a joke (notice the universal sign for joke ";)" )
Whoever employed this person and the clients who shop there would likely get a kick of out that.

algunz
07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Sorry Hotham, I can not relate at all to putting yourself before your child no matter the imminent danger. If that natural instinct is not there, then something is clearly not right.

SepaGroove
07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Living here within blocks ........sucks ....... gun control ......cr****

Your posts are vague and weird. What are you?

cutterbutter
07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community. I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
esay to say .... I hope I would die for my love. cr****

canexplain
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Your posts are vague and weird. What are you?

Lolz ... My nephiew was there.... .. here Kalii, Badged we have to giet ou lives toghther .. cr****

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Sorry Hotham, I can not relate at all to putting yourself before your child no matter the imminent danger. If that natural instinct is not there, then something is clearly not right.

I think you have an overly simplistic and ideal view of it. It really does take a lot of nerve to judge if someone is a "real father," or has devotion to his family because of a situation that's way more terrifying than most people will ever experience. You just don't know what you would do until you're in that situation, or something similar.

kitt kat
07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Spare me the sentimental bullshit. As Cara said, logic probably doesn't take over in those situations. There's no way you can tell me what you would have done in that situation. I'm sure the dude probably would have said he would have his wits about him enough to save his family, but things were different when faced with the actual situation. It's clearly not the desired outcome, but some of you have some nerve to sit back and judge without knowing what it's like to be in that situation. I have no idea what I would do, honestly. I could take my kids and run out of the theater. I could just freeze and shit myself. I could charge at the gunman, for all I know.

That explains the baby-dropping and running — but still doesn't explain the whole DRIVING AWAY FROM THE SCENE.

amyzzz
07-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Go Ron! lol.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
That explains the baby-dropping and running — but still doesn't explain the whole DRIVING AWAY FROM THE SCENE.

I agree that it makes very little sense. This is just such a unique and horrifying situation, that it's hard to just completely rake this guy through the coals. I get it, I just can't make such claims about him being a "real father" and all that.

algunz
07-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't want to play this card, but you're leaving me no choice. You don't have kids.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
day ... cr****

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
this is what good parents did:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/colorado-shooting-suspect-neighbors-talk-one-going-movie-205124802.html

"If we went to the theater, we might be dead. I even got mad at my husband that we couldn't find a babysitter. But I thank God that we're here today to give my daughters hugs and kisses."

suprefan
07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
What surprises me is that people even went to aurora to see a movie. Every time I'm in that area I'm always expecting to get shot. There is always a shooting at the mall next door. At least 3 a year.

All the screenings in Denver were sold out?

canexplain
07-20-2012, 05:21 PM
funny again , the corner I know him, what a strangee ile .... cr***

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't want to play this card, but you're leaving me no choice. You don't have kids.

I knew that was coming, you predictable nitwit. I have three nieces who I love like they're my own daughters. Or, at least, very close to it. I care more about those girls than anything, but I'm honest with myself. I would like to be able to say with 100% confidence what I would do, but that wouldn't be based on anything but my own love for them and my ideal mind. I just can't find the self-righteousness in me to condemn a guy who was in a horrific situation that I will most likely never been in. If his girlfriend leaves him, and the kids don't forgive, I think that's perfectly fine. It's his family and they were there. It's just so easy for a hyper-emotional woman from Tustin on a message board to comment on what it means to be a "real father" when faced with the most imminent and terrifying danger of his life.

Criticizing them for taking the kids to the movie in the first place is fair game, I think.

algunz
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Fuck you, Tommy.

I will stand by my initial idea that a real father wouldn't leave their infant lying on the floor of a theater that is being riddled by bullets, immersed in panic, and then DRIVE away from his baby, toddler, and fiancÚ.

suprefan
07-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Cray

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7hk64BNct1qz6f9yo1_500.jpg

santasutt
07-20-2012, 05:38 PM
The sniveling coward is babbling on CNN as I write this.

Needs to have his Dad card revoked.

canexplain
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
guncz, people have to have kids to get it and stuff like that .... cr****

greghead
07-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I will stand by my initial idea that a real father wouldn't leave their infant lying on the floor of a theater that is being riddled by bullets, immersed in panic, and then DRIVE away from his baby, toddler, and fiancÚ.

I support this. Of course, none of us have been in that situation, so we certainly don't know what we'd do. I have no kids, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that I would not have left my niece or my nephews on the ground of a chaotic theater that was being simultaneously shot up and stampeded by panicked, bloody & dying people. The fact that he drove away tells you about everything you need to know about this guy. And, well, seeing his picture; smoke meth much?

canexplain
07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Watching locol nesws we have such a hot bunch of peoplle on rhaat or so who .... just a guy co.... cr****

fatbastard
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Was this anywhere near where you live Ron?

algunz
07-20-2012, 06:01 PM
How drunk are you, Ron? :pulse

fatbastard
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Adding on from the above discussion, not going to take sides, but I've got a weird imagination. I've actually spent time today replaying that scene in my mind, how I would have felt being in that position (last thought was 30 minutes ago while eating 2 double doubles protein style and listening to NPR). I went through the emotions of being there with my wife. I imagined that we were not fast enough to get out and I throwing my wife on the floor of my seats and throwing myself on top of her. I felt like crying and my knees were shaking uncontrollably, but if I figured if it came down to that, that was going to be my move. I'd love to say I would have tried to run towards the guy and tried to take him down or some other heroic act, but that's not the first thing that came to my mind. My only thought was to make sure my wife would not be harmed.

nathanfairchild
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
some asshole decided to play a prank at our local theater here by pulling the fire alarm tonight. got the guy. just some kid. still, he's a fucking asshole.

guedita
07-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Jesus, none of you know how the fuck you would act in that scenario. My apartment building caught on fire last year and I shoved an old guy down the stairs out of my way so I could save myself in my own heightened state of panic. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't heroic but it was simply the course of action my body decided to take.

It's fairly obvious that the father showed at least some disgust and remorse about his actions.

fatbastard
07-20-2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueh_1PeJhaQ

Trick Loves The Kids
07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
It's dumb to speculate, it happens every time there's a shooting like this and people go "Well gosh, if there had been [more/less] guns on the scene it would've gone differently. Also, I would've been able to [get out of there/kill the shooter] anyway so it's moot" but that shit never actually happens.

As usual my feelings are best summed up by The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/sadly-nation-knows-exactly-how-colorado-shootings,28857/). This shit sucks, we've been through it before, and the only good possible outcome would be an actual discussion on any of the following topics: mental health, gun control, pervasive cultural acceptance and normalization of violence, media reactions to tragedies, etc. But oops, this is America, we're going to mourn, blame it on videogames and on to the next one.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I guess what I'm saying is it's funny that the people who would have been level-headed and capable of diffusing these situations never seem to actually be there when they happen

algunz
07-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I sure hope Hotham and Gue aren't around when I need some help in a panicked situation.

guedita
07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Don't worry, gunz. You're too small to be useful to me as a bullet shield.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I can't believe I have to scroll down to see the music/misc forums now because of that fucking cruise

guedita
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I can't believe I have to scroll down to see the music/misc forums now because of that fucking cruise

It's atrocious.

theresalwaysone
07-20-2012, 06:35 PM
It's atrocious.

And, obnoxious.

algunz
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Don't worry, gunz. You're too small to be useful to me as a bullet shield.

But I have such a big personality.

buddy
07-20-2012, 06:38 PM
there's an arrow at the top right of the s.s. forum that you can click, so you can minimize it

bmack86
07-20-2012, 07:32 PM
So is everyone ignoring the fact that the dude is a bad dad because he's bringing his four year old and infant son to a screening of a dark, violent Batman film at midnight. I mean, really? The four year old is going to be smart enough to get that there are all these killings going on on-screen, and that baby is just going to become a supervillian after being exposed to the film. Even without the abhorrent actions (and Tommy, it's one thing to say that in the heat of the moment he could run out: he had the baby in his arms and dropped it, then left) that's some shitty parenting. Mom's to blame for that as well, and for mating with such a winner twice.

HotHamWater
07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi, Bryan...

Criticizing them for taking the kids to the movie in the first place is fair game, I think.

bmack86
07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Well that's your fault for writing too many long, thought out posts. I am a member of the soundbite generation.

guedita
07-20-2012, 07:53 PM
I didn't comment on it in here, but I did mention to my housemate today that it's nuts that there were children at this showing at all.

jackstraw94086
07-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I find all the batman tribute art floating around facebook completely absurd.
This is what the people of Aurora need right now. black ribbons amidst the batman symbol and a mournful caped crusader atop the rockies.

classy.

JustSteve
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM

they were thinking one thing and that is about themselves. we took our young kids to afternoon movies because we knew their nap schedule and that they would sleep through the whole thing so it wouldn't be an issue...we also sat in the back in case they woke up. i would never take kids that age to a midnight screening where everyone else paid a large amount of money to enjoy a film with the risk the kids would wake up or make an ounce of noise.

greghead
07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Jesus, none of you know how the fuck you would act in that scenario. My apartment building caught on fire last year and I shoved an old guy down the stairs out of my way so I could save myself in my own heightened state of panic. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't heroic but it was simply the course of action my body decided to take.

It's fairly obvious that the father showed at least some disgust and remorse about his actions.

When your building was on fire did you immediately bolt out the door, or did you think to grab your cats? You may have shoved some slow-ass grey hairs out of your way, but you certainly didn't leave your loved one's behind to fend for themselves while you ran to safety, right?

guedita
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I left my boyfriend and my other cat behind.

guedita
07-20-2012, 08:07 PM
And my boyfriend was, at the time, a 3 month year old baby.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-20-2012, 08:11 PM

This is it. This is America, The Tweet.

e: lols that entire account is gone now. The info is still cached in Google though, it's official NRA business. Shh, just delete it for now, we can get back to circlejerking about guns as soon as all this nonsense dies down.

JustSteve
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
So is everyone ignoring the fact that the dude is a bad dad because he's bringing his four year old and infant son to a screening of a dark, violent Batman film at midnight. I mean, really? The four year old is going to be smart enough to get that there are all these killings going on on-screen, and that baby is just going to become a supervillian after being exposed to the film. Even without the abhorrent actions (and Tommy, it's one thing to say that in the heat of the moment he could run out: he had the baby in his arms and dropped it, then left) that's some shitty parenting. Mom's to blame for that as well, and for mating with such a winner twice.

from what i heard they were both asleep, which is what i would expect from kids that age at that time of night.