PDA

View Full Version : Goldenvoice threatens to move Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals from Indio

Pages : [1] 2

CrimesceneCookie
06-30-2012, 02:05 AM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120630/LIFESTYLES010102/206300311/Goldenvoice-threatens-move-shows-from-Indio

INDIO — Promoters of the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals, two of America's premier music events, are threatening to move the shows — possibly out of the Coachella Valley — if a proposed admissions tax is enacted by the host city.

Goldenvoice president Paul Tollett said next year's festivals would be the last in Indio.

The threat comes in response to a string of text messages obtained by The Desert Sun in which Goldenvoice vice president Skip Paige tells an Indio official that organizers are seriously considering moving the festival out of the city.

Polo club owner Alex Haagen III said he and Goldenvoice would build a new venue somewhere else.

“If the tax initiative of putting $4million to $6 million onto Coachella gets on the ballot,” said Tollett, “we're going to take off 2014; 2015 we'll be at a new facility outside of Indio.”

A proposed measure that was being drafted by the Indio city attorney for 2014 would impose a 5 percent to 10 percent tax on admissions to entertainment events of more than 2,500 people.

Tollett calculated the tax would be about $36 per ticket, which he said he would not pass on to festival-goers. It would therefore cost the promoters $4 million to $6 million.

The City Council on June 6 declined to consider City Councilman Sam Torres' proposal to enact such a tax. Torres promised to spearhead a petition drive to get a measure on the November ballot to generate what he said would be an average of $18 a ticket or about $4 million for the city that cut roughly $4 million from its current budget through measures including layoffs and furloughs.

Cities have until Aug. 10 to get a tax measure on the ballot.

“We think this tax is outrageous for all the things we've done with Indio,” Tollett said. Goldenvioce estimates the festival currently generates more than $800,000 in ticket fees, tax revenue on about $9 million in food and beverages sold, and a Transient Occupancy Tax of more than $800,000.

Councilwoman Elaine Holmes warned at a June 2011 City Council meeting that an attendance or entertainment tax could prompt Goldenvoice to move its Coachella Music and Arts Festival out of the city.

“He can easily take it to Irvine or someplace else,” she said at the time. “We don't want to scare that concert away.”

But Tollett's vow came shortly after Torres forwarded to The Desert Sun a series of text messages with Paige indicating Goldenvoice had already considered moving the festivals out of Indio.

A June 18 message shows Paige telling Torres, “The deal to purchase El Dorado Polo Club is DOA. We are entering into escrow on 600 acres at 62 and Van Buren (in the unincorporated Vista Santa Rosa community).”

On June 21, Paige is shown saying, “You know were moving right? All this is a game. Why in the world would we stay where we are not wanted. LQ doesn't want us, Indio wants to take all our profits. Its a joke.

“We made the decision to move out of indio the day we got our 2 year permit and george (Williams, husband of former City Councilwoman Melanie Williams) tried to sue us.”

Williams filed an Oct. 5, 2011, objection against the city's current deal with Goldenvoice, saying the action failed to comply with California environmental law. He declined to comment Friday except to say “the record speaks for itself.”

Paige also declined to comment Friday about the text thread with Torres. Tollett said he hadn't seen the texts in their entirety and couldn't respond, but said some excerpts were misleading.

The June 21 text would have been sent before the La Quinta Chamber of Commerce named Goldenvoice its Business of the Year. Tollett said the award showed an appreciation for Goldenvoice and “we're doing great with them now.”

He also said Goldenvoice didn't decide to leave Indio when it got its two-year city festival permits in 2011, and it still doesn't want to move.

“Actions speak louder than words,” Tollet said Friday. “We tried to buy Eldorado (Polo Club). Does that say we wanted to leave?

A June 18 text from Paige says Torres' actions were “actually helping me get out of a terrible relationship I have with Empire.” But Tollett maintained that Paige actually meant Eldorado. He said Goldenvoice and Haagen would continue to be partners even if they moved from Empire.

Haagen said his agreement with Goldenvoice is confidential, calling them business partners.

“We're linked with Goldenvoice,” said Haagen. “That's why I've been buying more land around the (Empire) polo club. I've worked with these guys for 20 years since the first concert with Pearl Jam.”

Goldenvoice presented the first Coachella festival in 1999 after that 1993 Pearl Jam concert at Empire. It reported a loss of $800,000, but the event grew to become one of the most popular and critically acclaimed music festivals in the world, attracting a paid attendance of 225,000 each of the past two years.

Haagen said the Eldorado escrow is not “DOA” and that an agreement could still be finalized if Goldenvoice could get a long-term commitment from the city to permit them to grow their business at Empire.

“I want them to finalize the deal with Eldorado,” Haagen said.

Tollett said a purchase of 600 acres of land at Van Buren and Avenue 62 was “in limbo.” He declined to say what the farm property would be used for, but said, “We've spent money on options for new venues. I regret that, but I had to. There's too much uncertainty. In any other place, this festival would have had a long-term deal. We have it with the venues. With the city, it's been this year-to- year thing.”

Paige's texts indicate Goldenvoice hasn't had any meetings with city officials to discuss a long-term deal “because there isn't one,” Paige alleged.

But Indio Mayor Glenn Miller insisted a deal has always been in the works. Indio City Manager Dan Martinez said negotiations can't progress until the city knows what will happen with the tax proposal and Goldenvoice's potential deal to buy Eldorado.

Haagen said Van Buren and Avenue 62 has been “looked at” as a possible festival venue, but “I think there are better locations.

“There are multiple locations this could be put at,” he said. “My thinking is if there's another venue, it ought to be a venue that has 1,000 acres. Why go back to 600 if that's where we're at now?”

Both Paige, in his texts, and Haagen say the city of Coachella has made inquiries about moving the festival east. But city leaders insist their talks with Goldenvoice, as recently as April, have focused solely on the valley's easternmost city playing a bigger role in the festival — perhaps bringing campers and more foot traffic — but not moving the festival.

“We have always kept the lines of communication open with Goldenvoice. In a perfect and ideal world we would love that the Coachella music festival consider, at some point, being in the city of Coachella,” Mayor Eduardo Garcia said Thursday. “We've always seen the 80 percent undeveloped of the city as an ideal location.”

Paige's texts indicate Goldenvoice is eyeing county land. “(Riverside County Supervisor) John benoit has 400 acres in the county,” his texts to Torres state.

Michelle DeArmond, Benoit's chief of staff, said the supervisor had breakfast with Tollett and Paige in April and discussed more local philanthropy opportunities for Goldenvoice, including a health clinic in the east valley. They did not discuss relocating the festival, DeArmond said.

“With all the property the county has it wouldn't surprise me if the county was trying lure Goldenvoice,” Holmes said. “If I was the county I would be trying to lure Goldenvoice.”

Haagen said with the property Goldenvoice rents around the 300-acre Empire and the 270 acres at Eldorado, Goldenvoice would have more than 600 acres at its current location.

“I don't even want to talk about moving because I don't want to move,” said Haagen. “I want to stay in Indio. We love Indio.”

Tollett also said, “We love the city.

“There's one person on the City Council pushing for this,” he said. “He doesn't feel that it matters if they just throw $5 million or $6 million at us.”

Torres says it's only fair to look to Coachella ticket buyers for added revenues since Indio voters already agreed to double the rate of their utility users tax in 2010, and the city's police force and City Hall employees have already endured dramatic cuts and furloughs.

“Everyone in the city has done everything they can to make ends meet,” Torres said recently.

Tollett said Indio officials asked Goldenvoice to help the city with its financial crisis, and it agreed to add $2.33 to each ticket. But he said jumping from $2.33 to “$36, maybe even more for the VIP ticket, it's outrageous.

“They're singling out one business to put a tax on,” he said. “Forget legal, is that even fair? To go and pick one thing and say the shows that are happening at Empire are going to solve the problem because (Indio) fired police chiefs, mayor and city managers and are paying them forever.

“Sam, his slogan should be, ‘I want to turn the city of festivals into the city of festival' — the Tamale Festival, which is free. That's what he's doing. That's his legacy.”

Tollett had other concerns about continuing to hold the festival at Empire before the admissions tax was proposed. He said his ticketing agency had told him they could have sold 300,000 tickets to the two weekends of Coachella and 80,000 tickets to Stagecoach, making the prospect of a larger venue appealing.

He said he'd also like later curfews and more liberal sound restrictions.

But he said those issues are secondary to an attendance tax that would cost his company at least $4 million a year.

Haagen said his major concern is the tax's impact on his ability to do business in the future.

“We're competing with other cities around the western United States,” he said. “We do corporate events. We do sports events and we're competing. When you add a tax, you make it that much more difficult.”

Both Tollett and Haagen said they'd ignore their other concerns if the tax measure didn't get on the ballot.

About 2,700 Indio residents would need to sign the petition for the tax measure to go forward, based on the city's registered voters during the 2010 election, Torres said.

Tollett said Coachella fans around the world will be waiting to see if the measure's proponents hit that number.

“When I say there's going to be no 2014, realize what I'm saying,” Tollett said. “The Coachella festival-goers have to bank on what I'm saying. I say no 2014, there are going to be people who set their wedding during April. I can't come back in 2014. Once I say it, the dice are thrown.”

fatbastard
06-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Tamales

concertgoer
06-30-2012, 06:17 AM
If the people of Indio are dumb enough to put this on the ballot and then vote for it fuck them. Plenty of other cities would love to host Coachella.

gaypalmsprings
06-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Tamales

http://www.tamalefestival.net/Images/tamalebooth.jpg

http://my.hsj.org/DesktopModules/ASNE/ASNE.Newspapers/ResizeImage.aspx?url=http://s3.amazonaws.com/asnemedia/8fc74b55-a37b-4ee0-9f1c-a45cc17d2b4f-BANDS1.JPG&width=370&height=278&format=jpg

http://www.rvretired.com/images/Calif/indio/festival.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-Xi_R-yvnTg0/TtrsG8iyuCI/AAAAAAAAQwk/TSfbzcLug98/PC033772%25255B7%25255D.jpg

Neighborhood Creep
06-30-2012, 08:46 AM
I'd like if it went somewhere that had 1,000 acres. More camping and stage space would be ideal IMO

nyarlathotoats
06-30-2012, 09:02 AM
That's shitty. Why stay where your not wanted?

captncrzy
06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Good for Paul. Glad he is standing up for himself and his customers.

JustSteve
06-30-2012, 09:14 AM
shit. just. got. real.

nosurprises12
06-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Good for Paul. Glad he is standing up for himself and his customers.

Word; Indio stands to lose the most if things go sour and the fest relocates, so Paul is really in the driver's seat on this one.

JustSteve
06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
and they know it. crazy how one rogue city official can fuck things up for everyone.

CrimesceneCookie
06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't mind a new location with a later noise curfew and more space.

seitron
06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Ooh this is gonna be good *grabs popcorn*

darkjustice
06-30-2012, 09:48 AM
move coachella to shoreline amphitheatre in mountain view, ca

travelfan
06-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Huh. If they kept it in the same general area (let's be honest, Coachella without the mountains and windmills is not the same), but bought in an unincorporated area that allowed for more space and a late curfew, then I'd be all for it. If they moved to Irvine or an entirely different part of SoCal, I think that might be too much for me. Coachella is not about Indio to me, but it is about the desert.

CrimesceneCookie
06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Avenue 62 and Van Buren is the alternate location, not far from the Polo Club.

GolfWang
06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow.

CrimesceneCookie
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Skip Paige/Sam Torres text message exchanges

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120630/LIFESTYLES010102/206300336 (http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120630/LIFESTYLES010102/206300336)

The following text message thread was obtained by The Desert Sun earlier this week from Indio Councilman Sam Torres. Torres, who has been under fire in recent weeks, is communicating with Goldenvoice vice president Skip Paige in the thread.

May 31

SKIP PAIGE: Hey Sam. Its Skip. I just ran into a reporter. She asked me some questions about your council comments. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I also sent her your text messages about tickets.

SAM TORRES: Thanks Thanks spoke to her earlier also.

Mid-June

PAIGE: Hi Sam, its Skip. I understand that you intend on coming to our meeting on Thursday. To be honest, I would prefer that you did not attend. This is a meeting for the workers that were on the ground. It is not intended to be a political get together. I think by having a city council member attend it changes the tone of the meeting.

TORRES: I thought it was a meeting of the ad hoc committee that included Lupe and myself. If I'm mistaken then of course I understand the need to have an unconstrained dialogue between yourselves. It must have been a mistake then.

PAIGE: No this is an operations re-cap meeting with my vendors and staff. I think that meeting is on another day.

TORRES: Yes I checked with Martha and she clarified that the ad hoc committee was meeting on the 14th. No worries.

PAIGE: Ok thanks Sam

June 18

PAIGE: Hey Sam. Just wanted to give you a heads up before you read it in the paper. The deal to purchase El Dorado Polo Club is DOA. We are entering into escrow on 600 acres at 62 and Van Buren. There is an article tomorrow in the desert sun.

PAIGE: Also do your homework. The city of indian wells actually fronted the tennis garden over $30M. That's the reason they got a 6% tax. Your actually helping me get out of a terrible relationship I have with Empire. (Editor's note: Goldenvoice president Paul Tollett maintains that Paige meant Eldorado Polo Club, not Empire.)

TORRES: Skip, I will check the facts and get back to you. I try very hard to keep the facts straight and the emotion out of it. I am sorry to hear that the relationship with the Polo grounds has deteriorated the festivals and the polo grounds are so synonymous.

PAIGE: The 62/Van buren deal is looking better everyday. We stopped work on the EIR to focus on that site.

TORRES: I understand you were pretty close to finalizing the draft which is quite a feat considering the farmers field project in LA took over, what 10 years to get it to review and comment there. Granted , LA is quite a behemoth in regards to process.

June 21

TORRES: I checked and no the city of IW did not pay 30 million for the TG. They did purchase the land along miles for about 15 million but retain ownership. It is master planned for “River” type project similar to Rancho Mirage that would be subject to ticket tax even on movie theater sales. Ellison purchased the gardens so city recouped any investment plus a 20 year commitment to host Paribas there. They had some single show concerts (I saw the Who there) but they lost money on those and the basketball games.

PAIGE: Cool. Buy Empire.

PAIGE: Fyi, you know were moving right? All this is a game. Why in the world would we stay where we are not wanted. LQ doesn't want us, Indio wants to take all our profits. Its a joke. You have no idea the battles we have had to fight and how much money we have lost on that show. You have no idea what its like to risk everything you own on your business. We all lost our homes, most of us lost our marriages all over Coachella. Now you think you can just come and take our profit. Its not going to happen. The city of Coachella is begging us to move there. They will lease use land for free to move there. We made the decision to move out of indio the day we got our 2 year permit and george tried to sue us

PAIGE: John benoit has 400 acres in the county. Haagen wants to move with us. You're in over your head. You killed the golden goose. Sure people will still rent hotels in indio but your per ticket fee and TOT will be gone.

PAIGE: Ask glenn ask lupe. She knows. We haven't had one meeting to discuss the long term deal because there isn't one.

TORRES: Sorry had to pick up sons from practice. I sincerely appreciate your openness Give me a moment to digest all you gave shared and get back to you.

PAIGE: You will be forever known as the guy who got rid CoachellaKids are awesome. This is not personal.

TORRES: Yes they are. I am lucky to have them. Skip I do know what it is like to risk it all and lose, twice as a matter of fact.I am extremely grateful that it never cost me my family.

TORRES: I have a tremendous amount of respect for what you, Paul and Bill have accomplished. I have never achieved your level of success but have had enough to respect and admire it in others.

TORRES: It has never been my intention to run the festivals off or to hinder your growth. I have always encouraged more events not less. I have encouraged the EIR.

TORRES: and frankly even though Alex Sr. Can be a hard cuss, he deserves the success he has achieved and respect both Sr. And Jr. I could never achieve a small part of what they have achieved . I do carry a tremendous burden for my community. Maybe in politics I am what you are in business. My seat and position mean little compared to the responsibility I feel for 85,000 plus residents of Indio. If wrong I can admit it, humbly. If right then I will defend it.

June 22

PAIGE: Make it better for the citizens of indio by encouraging business development. Taxes are a short term fix. I bet if you lowered some taxes you might actually collect more revenue. Encourage companies to create job by giving them incentives and a business friendly environment. People are scared to death to do business in Indio. That's how you change it. People of Indio and the Valley in general are much better off because of the festivals. Drive us away and you will make things worse.

PAIGE: We want our business to be kept private. By bringing this into the press you are forcing us to show our teeth. I don't want that and you don't want that.

PAIGE: Did you know we won “business of the year” yesterday in La Quinta? Even La Quinta understands how important this is

TORRES: Trust me we understand how important the festivals are to the city and valley. I have worked very hard to understand the implications and impacts. I have attempted vigorously to meet with your self and others to understand your needs and plans and also to explain my mine. To little or no avail. I will accept criticisms but would also appreciate some consideration. Not for my self personally, but for that small sliver of residents whose interest I represent.

TORRES: By the way congratulations on the award. You all deserve recognition.

travelfan
06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Avenue 62 and Van Buren is the alternate location, not far from the Polo Club.

Then leyyygo. How pretty do the words "2:45am in the Mojave" sound?

rage patton
06-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Woh. Im glad Paul Tollett is standing up for himself, goldenvoice, and the festival goers... but man would no 2014 ever suck. However, moving the venue to a place where there is a later curfew and more space does sound nice. But... not having it at the polo fields just seems weird. This is serious business.

nyarlathotoats
06-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Fuck. GV ain't nothing to fuck with, and as a festival goer, as long as their interest is in the benefit of its customers, (which these articles prove to be true) I'm behind them 100%.

TickleMeElmo
06-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Torres seems like a huge douche by leaking out these texts like this.

menikmati
06-30-2012, 10:19 AM
But this is for the "survival" of Indio of guys...they need that extra tax because all the money already generated by the festival(s) (aka fucking 3 of them) clearly isn't enough. I say if Indio is stupid and greedy enough to try to pull this (and justify it), then good riddance.

concertgoer
06-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Then leyyygo. How pretty do the words "2:45am in the Mojave" sound?

That would be awesome and maybe they could get rid of the beer gardens too.

travelfan
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
That would be awesome and maybe they could get rid of the beer gardens too.

And you people hate "bros" now...just wait until beer spilling in the Sahara occurs en masse...I'm actually all for the beer gardens.

Coachella Bound
06-30-2012, 10:42 AM
im all for having a year off after 2013.... fuck Indio, and the surrounding areas. This obviously is going to continue time and time again. I think they should move it out to San Simeon, so much land out there.

marooko
06-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Well they can't just let GV make all the profit.

GuyInTucson
06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't mind a new location with a later noise curfew and more space.

This^^

I love the Polo Fields, but I trust GV can find something comparable and possibly even better. Late night sets would be great. Also, with a later curfew you have the freedom to give certain acts longer sets. My Morning Jacket four hour set? Yes please. Sasha and Digweed for 3-4 hours? Where do I sign up?

marooko
06-30-2012, 11:48 AM
As long as they have gallows as well.

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 12:12 PM
24 hourchella with no beer gardens and a new venue fully customed forthe festival? Yes please.

And if it's the end of a Coachella; glad I went during the best years. Neener neener noob wieners

concertgoer
06-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I actually love the idea of Goldenvoice being able to own 600 acres of land in Vista Santa Rosa. Missing 2014 would suck, but in the long run it might be for the best.

captncrzy
06-30-2012, 12:56 PM
The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of moving it to a custom built space. Think of the possibilities.

PotVsKtl
06-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I just learned English and if I'm not mistaken, Skip Paige comes off as the asshole here.

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I just learned English and if I'm not mistaken, Skip Paige comes off as the asshole here.

You must have not learned in American culture about biased writing, seeing as it is all Mydesert.com

ApacheRunner
06-30-2012, 01:03 PM
2013 scalper sales will be fucking rediculous if they take advantage of the "Last Indio Coachella Ever and Last Coachella Before a Year Break" thing...

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Fuck it, everyone makes money.

PotVsKtl
06-30-2012, 01:06 PM
You must have not learned in American culture about biased writing, seeing as it is all Mydesert.com

There's a full text message exchange you flustered cunt. I can judge for myself, and Skip Paige reads like an angry LMFAO jam.

PotVsKtl
06-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Oh BTW we just won an award! Toot toot!

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
"Hey let me show you this transcribed text message session from my friends cell phone...who is the guy who wants way too much from the Promoter"

I usually expect you to be a bit sharper Pot, that summer heat is getting to your brain isnt it? Yes, Torres is completely a cool dude, he just wanted to be invited to more meetings, now they say "Go away!". Man GV is a bunch of jerks :rolleyes

PotVsKtl
06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Oh, it's a conspiracy. I get it. Hold still while I fly this plane into you.

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HONEY ROASTED NUTS

Courtney
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm just confused by the fact that a business exhange is taking place by text message.

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 01:14 PM
It was on a blackberry

nyarlathotoats
06-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm just confused by the fact that a business exhange is taking place by text message.

It is a little strange, I agree, but it was probably for the best versus face to face. I'm willing to bet Paige must have been fuming when he sending his reply, and you know he wanted to cuss his ass out, ; at least that's my initial reaction.

CrimesceneCookie
06-30-2012, 01:27 PM
You'd be pretty hard pressed to find any sympathetic ears for Torres in this thread, aside from the usual pointlessly argumentative types.

gaypalmsprings
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of moving it to a custom built space. Think of the possibilities.

They should move to Phoenix International Raceway. LOTS of space, excellent roads, and we can all party at your house!

menikmati
06-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Let's just find the ugliest place possible to hold it.

Courtney
06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
The part where Tollet muses about a bigger venue and selling 300,000 tickets is terrifying. I'm assuming this is all just an elaborate game of chicken and that they're not really going to move, but yeah. 300,000 people would be horrible.

menikmati
06-30-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm sure 300,000 was based on two weekends...so really 150,000 for a one weekend festival, which is still terrifying.

SoulDischarge
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see a Bonnaroo style set up with a Coachella style lineup (minus the hippies obviously).

PotVsKtl
06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
You'd be pretty hard pressed to find any sympathetic ears for Torres in this thread, aside from the usual pointlessly argumentative types.

And, you know, people with the wherewithal to be honest about what appears to be a series of pointlessly confrontational drunk texts.

Grandma
06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVediB0sZo

marooko
06-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Pot/kettle, not knife/fork.

Somewhat Damaged
06-30-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm sure 300,000 was based on two weekends...so really 150,000 for a one weekend festival, which is still terrifying.

Right. That's exactly what the article said: "Tollett... said his ticketing agency had told him they could have sold 300,000 tickets to the two weekends of Coachella and 80,000 tickets to Stagecoach, making the prospect of a larger venue appealing."

And yeah, doubling the attendance would be insane.

travelfan
06-30-2012, 02:21 PM
This^^

I love the Polo Fields, but I trust GV can find something comparable and possibly even better. Late night sets would be great. Also, with a later curfew you have the freedom to give certain acts longer sets. My Morning Jacket four hour set? Yes please. Sasha and Digweed for 3-4 hours? Where do I sign up?

While obviously some acts merit huge sets (like both you mentioned), I actually like "festival sets". Sure I can sit through an hour and a half of my favorite band, but the beauty of festivals to me is getting a quick dose of a lot of acts that maybe you wouldn't pay to see in full. Fifty minutes is enough for me for a lot of the acts I see at Coachella, and a Bonnaroo style of set times would be rough for me. But I know I'm probably in the minority here.

gaypalmsprings
06-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd support doubling the attendance, as long as they have shuttle buses, and I get the front rail with Ken & Chris.

marooko
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
While obviously some acts merit huge sets (like both you mentioned), I actually like "festival sets". Sure I can sit through an hour and a half of my favorite band, but the beauty of festivals to me is getting a quick dose of a lot of acts that maybe you wouldn't pay to see in full. Fifty minutes is enough for me for a lot of the acts I see at Coachella, and a Bonnaroo style of set times would be rough for me. But I know I'm probably in the minority here.

Yeah, I feel you'd miss a lot with longer sets. Either other acts, or parts of the set. I don't freely those specified acts deem longer sets, thought I'd prefer one from MMJ much more than S&D. But that's just me.

CrimesceneCookie
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
And, you know, people with the wherewithal to be honest about what appears to be a series of pointlessly confrontational drunk texts.

I've got a great idea, let's send them to the local newspaper.

Mugwog
06-30-2012, 03:22 PM
I would support longer sets, one of my choices for going to Coachella for so long was seeing many performers for one ticket price, but you got cut short of some sets, especially compared to the tour sets. Certain artist I would still see on their own tour due to a proper show/staging (NIN/Chem Bros etc), imagine if you will, a Chemical Brothers set from 11pm-3am? You jam band folk can have your crazy long sets too. It would be magic.

Double the attendance? They would probably find a venue that is double the size if not larger. If they sold out two weekends in less than a week, they can take the risk of changing the venue and increasing capacity.

All stages with no sound bleed from its neighbor? Relocation of the Do-Lab so people at the main stage can stop bitching about "that annoying techno noise from the don't lab"?! Fix the flow of human traffic even more! We could possibly get turkey legs also people.

AND WHAT ABOUT RV CAMPING POSSIBLY BEING BACK?!

Love the Polo Fields, but lets face it people.
Coachella in Indio is OVER
http://thumbnails.hulu.com/931/50117931/234419_512x288_generated.jpg

nyarlathotoats
06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Polo fields...R.I.P.?

Sushov23
06-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Basically this. There is a lot of behind the scenes shit going on. Only think I know for certain is Goldenvoice/AEG has been big brother pushing little brother(Indio, Coachella Valley) around. Indio is standing up for itself, and the backlash is expected. I'm gonna find San Torres and make it my mission to have a sit down with him.

amma_sol
06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Don't worry guys! Coachella is gunna move to VEGAS! Everyone bring your tutus and get ready to party with 300,000 of your closest friends!

menikmati
06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Goldenvoice/AEG is pushing Indio around? lololol

xuclarockerx
06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Change is inevitable, I know, but I'll be seriously bummed if they move it from the Polo Fields, even to this proposed second site.

Work it out, guys.

Courtney
06-30-2012, 04:32 PM

Yes, that's what I mean. Having to deal with 150,000 people pushing and shoving to get to the rail for a band like Rage Against the Machine sounds pretty much like the opposite of a good time to me.

JustSteve
06-30-2012, 04:33 PM
There's a full text message exchange you flustered cunt. I can judge for myself, and Skip Paige reads like an angry LMFAO jam.

And I'm sure Sam sent everything within context, yup, just like every politician would.

Courtney
06-30-2012, 04:37 PM
As I said, I doubt they are really considering changing anything. It just seems like a lot of empty threats to me.

JustSteve
06-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh the threats are real.

Sushov23
06-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah the threats are real. A lot of shit going down. I'm going to the city council meeting that is supposed to go down next week.

suprefan
06-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Yes, that's what I mean. Having to deal with 150,000 people pushing and shoving to get to the rail for a band like Rage Against the Machine sounds pretty much like the opposite of a good time to me.

Cause Glastonbury looks like a terrible time?

24 hourchella with no beer gardens and a new venue fully customed forthe festival? Yes please.

And if it's the end of a Coachella; glad I went during the best years. Neener neener noob wieners

I doubt the beer garden thing goes away.

As I said, I doubt they are really considering changing anything. It just seems like a lot of empty threats to me.

What Steve said

Oh the threats are real.

And luckily Irvine won't be a place to move the festival either.

marooko
06-30-2012, 06:18 PM
People push and shove to get to the front rail no matter who's playing.

TickleMeElmo
06-30-2012, 06:43 PM
I wish Goldenvoice had bought Lubken Ranch, that would've been an amazing place to move to.

http://www.crosbydoe.com/images/properties/1234290496.jpg

jimmycrackcorn
06-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't believe any of this to be idle threats or talk...
Sam torres tried to get the indio city council to approve this duplicitous proposal to FORCE a tax increase upon the backs of GV customer base to fix budget shortfalls in the city instead of making tough choices and cutting spending... paul t is not stupid and KNOWS he neede to nip this $HIT in the bud because what is going to happen next year when indio undoubtedly overspends and has another budget crisis? Ohhh wait I know they'll just tax the music festivals with the same myopic logic and litany of excuses on how this makes senses for indio... paul t HAD to confront this and draw a line in the sand... I don't believe he will hesitate for a second after making such a public statement he will rip coachellfest up from the roots and relocate it elsewhere... I would be very sad to see it leave and could only hope it doesn't come to pass... if it did move I could only hope it stays southern ca.
Stays on grass (no deserts/dirt lots/no stadiums)

gaypalmsprings
06-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Northern California wouldn't be so bad.

http://www.landcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/scenic_travels_mount_shasta_california-other-1024x682.jpg

stinkbutt
06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
If they take the year off, what happens to the board?

gaypalmsprings
06-30-2012, 08:06 PM

They will have to move the board.

TickleMeElmo
06-30-2012, 08:52 PM

The board will be taken down and we'll have to choose between the Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza board.

suprefan
06-30-2012, 09:56 PM
coachellfest

Only somebody from SJ would say this. QUIT IT.

What? Ummmmmm, doesnt the board do its thing for 50 weeks a year when the festival is not happening?

jimmycrackcorn
06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Only somebody from SJ would say this. QUIT IT.

Missed a keystroke there
-shrugs-

PapaDill
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
wasn't there some talk of golden voice doing 250k festivals in the OC great park?
could coachella move to OC? . . .meh

M Sparks
07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Right. That's exactly what the article said: "Tollett... said his ticketing agency had told him they could have sold 300,000 tickets to the two weekends of Coachella and 80,000 tickets to Stagecoach, making the prospect of a larger venue appealing."

The first article mentions 225,000, and that's how they always seems to report it, they count each day separately. They used to say 180,000 back when they did 60,000 a day.

I WOULD read this as increasing 33%, not 100%. But the Stagecoach 80,000 figure doesn't make sense if you look at it that way (It's usually capped at 55,000).

We should keep in mind that this is a text message from a guy who was specifically trying to fuck with someone, and who mixed up the 2 polo clubs. Also, saying you CAN double attendance is not the same as saying you will. Right now, they are running pretty close to the legal capacity. If you knew you could theoretically sell an extra 75,000, it's not a gamble to get a new space big enough to add 10,000.

suprefan
07-01-2012, 01:01 AM
The first article mentions 225,000, and that's how they always seems to report it, they count each day separately. They used to say 180,000 back when they did 60,000 a day.

I WOULD read this as increasing 33%, not 100%. But the Stagecoach 80,000 figure doesn't make sense if you look at it that way (It's usually capped at 55,000).

We should keep in mind that this is a text message from a guy who was specifically trying to fuck with someone, and who mixed up the 2 polo clubs. Also, saying you CAN double attendance is not the same as saying you will. Right now, they are running pretty close to the legal capacity. If you knew you could theoretically sell an extra 75,000, it's not a gamble to get a new space big enough to add 10,000.

If this was all a ruse, gv would have the story pulled. I dont see that happening....

wasn't there some talk of golden voice doing 250k festivals in the OC great park?
could coachella move to OC? . . .meh

OC will not happen at all.

H_is_O
07-01-2012, 04:55 AM

gaypalmsprings
07-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Missed a keystroke there
-shrugs-

Maybe you need to get your eyes checked. :rotfl

H_is_O
07-01-2012, 08:00 AM
THIS SHIT SUCKS, IT FUCKING BLOWS THAT POLITICS GETS INVOLVED IN THIS SHIT. WHATEVS AT LEAST ILL BE GOING TO THE LAST ONE

M Sparks
07-01-2012, 08:11 AM
If this was all a ruse, gv would have the story pulled. I dont see that happening...

I never said anything about a ruse, just not to take the 300,000 as a literal intention of doubling the capacity.

fatbastard
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Will they be bumping up taxes for the tamale festival? That's more important to find out at this time. Need tamales.

sonofhal
07-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Have room in my back garden for some small acoustic sets and a Freshers lemonade stand, if that helps.

frizzlefry
07-01-2012, 10:55 AM
You should get into contact with Paul ASAP

jimmycrackcorn
07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Text messages preferably

LAVeniceDude
07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
NO NorCal.

NO Orange County.

Double the attendance, more than double the festival footprint, no curfew/after hours activities, beers/booze where you want? Where do I sign up? Sounds like Glasto!

Courtney
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Cause Glastonbury looks like a terrible time?

To me it does, yes.

Mugwog
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Coachella please make yourself more accommodating for Courtney. Clearly that is the proper business move.

Courtney
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Clearly.

zonarob
07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
we should keep in mind that this is a text message from a guy who was specifically trying to fuck with someone, and who mixed up the 2 polo clubs. Also, saying you CAN double attendance is not the same as saying you will. Right now, they are running pretty close to the legal capacity. If you knew you could theoretically sell an extra 75,000, it's not a gamble to get a new space big enough to add 10,000.

I am not so sure he mixed up the Polo clubs. Al Haagen is a shrewd businessman who is a well know pain in the ass when it comes to the negotiations for Coachella. Paul was very quick to say that he made a mistake about which club Skip meant. Why would GV's relationship with Eldorado be bad. Really all Eldorado does is lease GV land for camping. The Haagen's have the beautiful Empire Polo, the liquor license and all the infrastructure needed to make this thing work. Trust me Skip did not make a mistake about the polo club he was speaking about. Empire Polo is such an important part of what makes Coachella as special as it is. I would be very sad to see it move.

nathanfairchild
07-02-2012, 05:59 AM
NO NorCal.

NO Orange County.

Double the attendance, more than double the festival footprint, no curfew/after hours activities, beers/booze where you want? Where do I sign up? Sounds like Glasto!

i don't know why you would want that. that isn't coachella. they already make a festival in america that can do all those things. it's called bonnaroo.

gaypalmsprings
07-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Coachella please make yourself more accommodating for Courtney. Clearly that is the proper business move.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/063/6/b/team_courtney_motivational_by_aravivelez-d34qtor.jpg

SepaGroove
07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I can't believe the festival might move out of Indio. I hope it doesn't happen, my friends and myself have had some of the best times of our lives on those fields. Imagine what will happen to that city if the festival moves. They won't even be able to afford to hold the tamale festival anymore.

But with that said I'm all for the festival being moved to a different location in the same area, but moving it to OC or elsewhere would ruin it for me. Also, I'm all for a 24 hour fest and no beer garden like Mugwog and others mentioned.

Gribbz
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
i don't know why you would want that. that isn't coachella. they already make a festival in america that can do all those things. it's called bonnaroo.

Glastonbury line-ups are infinitely better than Bonnaroos though. Personally, I would love late (all night) sets and the like. An increase in capacity wouldn't bother me if they also increased the size of the area, tents, etc. (which they would).

EDIT*
Also, didn't Tollett say at one point that he wants Coachella to become the American Glastonbury?

Miroir Noir
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
In a backwards kind of way, I actually like the rush of conflicts and the race to curfew every night. It leads to a certain excitement that makes Coachella the festival it is.

A new festival with more room, more attendees, a different setting, and a later curfew would be a very different festival. I'm not saying that's necessarily good or bad at this point, but it would be very different.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Yup. 80,000 is already too much for me. I'm very much enjoying smaller festivals now, even if i have to go to Europe to enjoy them.

captncrzy
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
You guys should note that it says that the ticketing agent told Paul that he COULD HAVE sold 300,000 tickets. That doesn't mean he would.

PulpOne
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/dark_times_ahead_poster-r2bcdf83c84604052af4c8ac5a10d4fad_w7s_400.jpg

Courtney
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Yup. 80,000 is already too much for me. I'm very much enjoying smaller festivals now, even if i have to go to Europe to enjoy them.

Yes. I increasingly appreciate the value of more intimate festival experiences. It's a personal preference.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
still lolling at this quote from the text message exchanges:

PAIGE: You will be forever known as the guy who got rid CoachellaKids are awesome. This is not personal.

untzcrate
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
For those who don't support the move, think about this:

• How hard would it be to rebuild something similar to the Empire Polo Club on another piece of land? Somewhat hard? Maybe. Impossible? Of course not. Build it and they will come.

• Besides the potential of longer and later sets, what about less conflicts because they have more time to space these acts out? Did Modeselektor really need to play at the same time as Flo, DJ Shadow, and At The Drive-In on Sunday night? Of course not. You know we all would have been there for their 2:30 a.m. set. In fact, let me elaborate... DO WE REALLY NEED ANY MUSIC IN THE SAHARA BEFORE THE SUN GOES DOWN? Exactly.

• Do we need more space for tent camping, car camping, and potentially bringing back RV camping? Of course we do. Does the possibility of dividing out camping areas into quiet and loud camping sound appealing? What about an afterhours that goes on until the wee hours? You can't do that with the space we have right now.

• With a visionary like Paul at the helm, imagine what he could do with a blank canvas. Imagine the possibilities of AEG giving him the ability to create the ultimate music venue from scratch. I drool just thinking about it.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Kids are awesome. This is not personal.

CrimesceneCookie
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
It has the ring of a new meme...

psychic friend
07-03-2012, 06:44 AM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120703/LIFESTYLES010102/207030310

Miroir Noir
07-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Dani's final offer to Sam Torres was this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming licence, which she would appreciate if Mr. Torres put up personally.

captncrzy
07-03-2012, 07:29 AM

• How hard would it be to rebuild something similar to the Empire Polo Club on another piece of land? Somewhat hard? Maybe. Impossible? Of course not. Build it and they will come.

• Besides the potential of longer and later sets, what about less conflicts because they have more time to space these acts out? Did Modeselektor really need to play at the same time as Flo, DJ Shadow, and At The Drive-In on Sunday night? Of course not. You know we all would have been there for their 2:30 a.m. set. In fact, let me elaborate... DO WE REALLY NEED ANY MUSIC IN THE SAHARA BEFORE THE SUN GOES DOWN? Exactly.

• Do we need more space for tent camping, car camping, and potentially bringing back RV camping? Of course we do. Does the possibility of dividing out camping areas into quiet and loud camping sound appealing? What about an afterhours that goes on until the wee hours? You can't do that with the space we have right now.

• With a visionary like Paul at the helm, imagine what he could do with a blank canvas. Imagine the possibilities of AEG giving him the ability to create the ultimate music venue from scratch. I drool just thinking about it.

*Not hard, really. If you think about it, it's just a really huge lot of grass.
*No
*Yes

Seriously, think about what they could do with an empty canvas that they own and develop. Properly structured parking lots and a proper in-and-out system for pedestrians. Permanent bathrooms. Permanent showers. A field dedicated to camping. An RV area. Manmade lakes. Cabins with a/c. Permanent lounges/buildings with a/c (like the cantina). Space that is actually DESIGNED for the ebbs and flows of a festival rather than cramming a festival into an area.

Indio — The petition for a new ticket tax in Indio is still alive, even as the promoters of Coachella and Stagecoach vow to move the popular music festivals elsewhere — and possibly out of the valley — if the measure makes the ballot.

But Councilman Sam Torres said he would no longer pursue the petition if he can join negotiations with Goldenvoice for a long-term deal to keep the festivals at the Empire Polo Club for years to come.

Torres, elected to the City Council in 2010, has come under fire recently as one of the tax proposal's chief proponents. It would impose a 5 percent to 10 percent tax on admissions starting in 2014 to entertainment events with more than 2,500 people.

Some 2,664 Indio registered voters are required to sign the ticket tax petition in order for it to qualify for the ballot.

“Paul's words have been ringing in my ears,” Torres said Monday, referring to Goldenvoice President Paul Tollett's threats Thursday to move the festival out of Indio over the proposal. “He's got a strong will. He can definitely make good on it.”

But Torres said he believed Tollett might also have been “positioning” and “posturing” to get a better deal. The councilman wants to join the city's latest ad hoc committee to negotiate with Goldenvoice and help work out a deal that better benefits Indio residents.

Mayor Glenn Miller has the sole power to appoint people to such a committee. The committee to negotiate Goldenvoice's present two-year deal with the city included Miller, City Manager Dan Martinez, the city attorney and the city's finance director.

The council won't discuss who should join until its next regular meeting on July 18, Miller said Monday.

The mayor said he would pick only those who are best qualified. Miller declined to address Torres' request to join as a condition to drop the petition because he had not spoken to Torres directly.

“I'm not against Mr. Torres being on it, but I'm not going to pre-pick anybody,” Miller said Monday.Miller also noted that there are other main backers of the petition besides Torres.

Two of those proponents, John Bingham and Al Meza, who paid the $200 application for the petition, said they would agree to drop the effort if Torres is selected for the committee.

“We're open to any reasonable consideration,” Bingham, a member of the Indio Citizens' Finance Advisory Commission, said Monday. “I think certainly what we're after is some kind of permanent payment from them. I think some tax is reasonable for all entertainment features.”

Bingham said he is not deterred by the threats to move the concerts.

Another main proponent of the tax, Pastor Carl McPeters of Kyriakos Christian Center in Indio, said Torres recruited him to lend his support.

“He contacted me and (shared) his intent to take it to the voters and his reasoning for the ticket tax,” said McPeters, one of three Indio residents whose name will appear on a legal notice requesting the ballot measure and intent to circulate the petition.

“I don't understand what all the uproar is over a ticket tax that will benefit the residents of Indio,” McPeters added. “From what I understand Goldenvoice has not committed to staying here anyway beyond next year.”

Last week, Torres provided The Desert Sun with a recent series of text messages he exchanged with Goldenvoice Vice President Skip Paige.

Paige's messages indicated Goldenvoice had decided it would move from Indio after signing its latest two-year deal in 2011. The messages also indicated that no negotiations had taken place yet for a long-term deal.

However, Tollett said last week that Goldenvoice hadn't decided to leave, and that it still wants to stay in Indio.

Tollett declined to weigh in Monday on Torres' conditions to drop the petition.

“It is not appropriate for us to dictate who the city chooses to represent them in any negotiations, they need to run the city the way they see fit,” he said in a statement Monday. “Throughout the years our communication and cooperation with the city has been one of the main reasons these shows are so successful. I would like to see that continue.”

"I don't see the big deal with the tax" is reason enough to move it. I'm betting the residents there (at least a great deal of them) don't get it either.

captncrzy
07-03-2012, 07:45 AM
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.641111,-116.210833&spn=0.1,0.1&t=m&q=33.641111,-116.210833

Look at how underdeveloped the area is...and it's closer to the mountains.

gaypalmsprings
07-03-2012, 08:28 AM
"But Councilman Sam Torres said he would no longer pursue the petition if he can join negotiations with Goldenvoice for a long-term deal to keep the festivals at the Empire Polo Club for years to come."

Sounds like extortion.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4043/4675734039_783d1ffcb5_z.jpg

ADGZ662
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Dani's final offer to Sam Torres was this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming licence, which she would appreciate if Mr. Torres put up personally.

Eat my tamales!

http://www.coachella.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7682&d=1341333952

TomAz
07-03-2012, 08:56 AM

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TomAz
07-03-2012, 09:01 AM

He sounds pissed off that he's having to deal with a retarded city council in a retarded town that won't let them make long range plans and wants (or, I guess, wanted, now) to tax them to death.

gaypalmsprings
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I thought I'd repost this comment to the article, before it gets erased by The Desert Sun...

Steve Stoddard · Top Commenter · Works at Self Employed and Loving It!

that explains that loud popping i heard yesterday..
the sound of you pulling your head out of your ass..
try to keep it out, your brain could use the oxygen..

· Follow Post · 4 hours ago

nyarlathotoats
07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
"But Councilman Sam Torres said he would no longer pursue the petition if he can join negotiations with Goldenvoice for a long-term deal to keep the festivals at the Empire Polo Club for years to come."

Sounds like extortion.

FTR, Sam Torres does not represent how most Native Americans conduct business.

gaypalmsprings
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM

I know. Just kidding with the picture. The local tribes are 100% supportive of their communities - especially the Agua Caliente & Cahuilla bands in Palm Springs. They give back to their community through very generous, voluntary support of the schools and other organizations and events. Sam Torres is very atypical, I agree.

ADGZ662
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I know. Just kidding with the picture. The local tribes are 100% supportive of their communities - especially the Agua Caliente & Cahuilla bands in Palm Springs. They give back to their community through very generous, voluntary support of the schools and other organizations and events. Sam Torres is very atypical, I agree.

Sam Torres is Mexican, lets just pretend he's an Indian from the Torres-Martinez Cahuilla Indian tribe though. Shit, ima mexican lookin Indian too me thinks. Mexican equals Indian though as far as facial structure right? It was until the Europeans came and started shagging all the darkbrowns and Redskins and created hybrids que no?

Redskin blood is old me thinks que no

Gribbz
07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
*Not hard, really. If you think about it, it's just a really huge lot of grass.
*No
*Yes

Seriously, think about what they could do with an empty canvas that they own and develop. Properly structured parking lots and a proper in-and-out system for pedestrians. Permanent bathrooms. Permanent showers. A field dedicated to camping. An RV area. Manmade lakes. Cabins with a/c. Permanent lounges/buildings with a/c (like the cantina). Space that is actually DESIGNED for the ebbs and flows of a festival rather than cramming a festival into an area.

I agree with all of this.

Hahahhaha. Nice.

Riggins33
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
They solved the problem by giving Mr. Torres a buffalo.

nyarlathotoats
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
They solved the problem by giving Mr. Torres a buffalo.

Along with Riggins, a male-order bride.

Congrats you two!

Wheres the beef?
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Sounds like Torres is mad he didn't get picked to play kick ball at recess.

Sexecutioner
07-03-2012, 11:31 AM
While I love the idea of no curfews and a redesigned venue from scratch, I don't think those benefits outweigh the larger crowds and larger venue. I actually like how it's a relatively small area. It makes it much easier to skip around between stages and a see a little bit of everything. I am already so exhausted after a weekend of Coachella at it's current size, I couldn't imagine having to run around a venue 2 or 3 times the size. This is why I don't really have an urge to go to glasto or the roo. I hope they stay put, but I'm sure GV will find a way to keep most of the Coachella charm no matter where they move to though.

Riggins33
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BmrlV49nwI

bobert
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM

So basically the guy just wants a seat at the big kid's table.

tyles
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
While I love the idea of no curfews and a redesigned venue from scratch, I don't think those benefits outweigh the larger crowds and larger venue. I actually like how it's a relatively small area. It makes it much easier to skip around between stages and a see a little bit of everything. I am already so exhausted after a weekend of Coachella at it's current size, I couldn't imagine having to run around a venue 2 or 3 times the size. This is why I don't really have an urge to go to glasto or the roo. I hope they stay put, but I'm sure GV will find a way to keep most of the Coachella charm no matter where they move to though.

Agreed. I like the way they have it now, and obviously, because I keep going. Switching locations would be a drag, but interesting. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm sure everythings going to get worked out. Sam Torres and his tax are the new "they're going to build condos on the polo grounds."

tyles
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't support ragging on this guy because of his race. That is very wrong.

I do support ragging on him for being a total buzzkill and doing his best to ruin a great thing.

stinkbutt
07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Riggins33: worthless

H_is_O
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
i thought it was pretty comical

JustSteve
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM

goldenvoice brings in everything for the show. sure there is some landscaping and some structures in the vip areas, but everything else is there for a month or so and taken down at the end. all they would need is a piece of land.

JustSteve
07-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I am already so exhausted after a weekend of Coachella at it's current size, I couldn't imagine having to run around a venue 2 or 3 times the size. This is why I don't really have an urge to go to glasto or the roo.

ain't it fun getting old!?

TomAz
07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I am already so exhausted after a weekend of Coachella at it's current size, I couldn't imagine having to run around a venue 2 or 3 times the size.

Yep.

amyzzz
07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Thirded.

nahuatldream
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
What you guys said. That's what turns me off about Glastonbury. That thing is immense. This would motivate me to get in shape, though so...Bring it on! As long as it stays in the family, I would be happy. I can keep crashing at my parents' in Coachella, CA, and avoid paying for a hotel.

JustSteve
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Yep.

I'll steal a golf cart and give you all rides! I am actually thinking of inquiring about getting one for next year after the last couple years of illness on the fields. We were parked next to the guys who handle all the swag that comes with the wristbands and they had 3 of them, was quite jealous.

bobert
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
goldenvoice brings in everything for the show. sure there is some landscaping and some structures in the vip areas, but everything else is there for a month or so and taken down at the end. all they would need is a piece of land.

And probably a few million dollars worth of palm trees to line the perimeter.

suprefan
07-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Thats why he is doing this instead of managing one of the casinos in the area.

nyarlathotoats
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Thats why he is doing this instead of managing one of the casinos in the area.

It wouldn't be a thread without you giving us one of your sub-par witty comments, supre.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
KIDS ARE AWESOME, THIS IS NOT PERSONAL

Bumblebee
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
interesting is the prospect of a "Coachella" festival that not in Coachella. Can't see them changing the name - sorta like how none of the 3 "Woodstock" festivals(69/94/99) were actually in Woodstock(Bethel, Saugerties and Rome)

And probably a few million dollars worth of palm trees to line the perimeter.

Grass fields for 100,000 ain't cheap, when they don't have the Horse people pay for it all.

I've done dusty ground and concrete parking lot festivals in the heat. Never again.

concertgoer
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Even if they leave Indio I would be shocked if Coachella isn't held in the Coachella valley.

artisticcreator
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
No more added cost, no new venue! Suck it up government and be happy we pay your over priced salaries!

RotationSlimWang
07-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Does anybody who lives in the area or gives more of a shit or me know when the vote or whatever to find out whether or not this council dude's stupid idea is getting approved or not? I see several news agencies reporting it as if it's actually a done deal based on those texts.

Personally, it's a little weird to think about going to Coachella in a different place but ultimately I really don't give a shit as long as there's a line of palm trees. The entire rest of what makes Coachella so beautiful for the experiencer is just their lighting scheme and the mountains. I don't really think more people would make for a worse experience as long as there was enough room. Frankly, I'm at a point in my life where I catch every show from the back. I get annoyed standing nearby people. As long as there's somewhere with a view of the screen where I won't constantly get bumped into or have some asshole walking in front of me, I'm in--no questions asked.

TickleMeElmo
07-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, if we move we probably shouldn't move into a bigger venue. We need to be mindful of our few fans who can't handle big crowds and instead should just keep doing multiple weekends forever to keep capacity down.

Grandma
07-05-2012, 07:30 AM
send feces here

Ascension Torres
100 Civic Center Mall
Indio, CA 92201

luckyface
07-05-2012, 07:37 AM
So is this (http://www.urb.com/2012/07/05/coachella-is-leaving-indio-taking-off-2014/) for real then or is this an example of URB misreading what is actually going on?

suprefan
07-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I think Urb just wants to get hits post holiday cause they didnt see this all go down over the weekend. So yeah, pretty much they misread.

captncrzy
07-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Chris says:

July 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

So you’re saying that The article postd by My Desert on tuesday holds no water? Where he said he would back off on the tax? http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120703/LIFESTYLES010102/207030310 Double check please. and unless Coachella makes an official statement, stop trying to catch up to what transpired over the weekend and you just want some attention post holiday

suprefan
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Yes, I had to give them a flogging this morning.

thestripe
07-05-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm sure that cut them real deep.

jtovar21
07-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Sounds like according to this article it's a done deal. This was the link also provided on the Huffington Post, as well. Anyone think this was ALWAYS in the cards, the decision to leave here seems like it was made awhile ago, according to the article.

http://www.thewrap.com/music/article/coachella-music-festival-saying-goodbye-indio-46596

captncrzy
07-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Huffington Post==MOST RELIABLE SOURCE OF NEWS

jtovar21
07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Huffington Post==MOST RELIABLE SOURCE OF NEWS

To be fair HuffPost is mostly a news aggregator and doesn't do too much reporting themselves. But that's the link they are posting on the site, just sayin'.

PlayaDelWes
07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Someone calling themselves Paul Tollett says:
July 5, 2012 at 9:02 am
Ignore this message. urb.com has their facts wrong. Wait until the official word from GV. Thank you.

-PT...

nathanfairchild
07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
To be fair HuffPost is mostly a news aggregator and doesn't do too much reporting themselves. But that's the link they are posting on the site, just sayin'.

until there is an official announcement from goldenvoice, let's just assume anything being "reported" is complete horse shit.

jtovar21
07-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Hmm is this Irvine Park still in development hell? I'd hate to see it move to OC actually, but could be in the cards maybe with 'backroom deals' and all. Speculation is fun :)

patsfan5454
07-05-2012, 08:15 AM
They are even reporting it on the morning news on channel 5, "looks like Coachella will be leaving in 2014 due to an 18 % increased tax proposed by the city council" I'm excited for a change, Take all the time you need Goldenvoice, and put together an awesome venue with lots of grass and alot more space!

HotHamWater
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
They are even reporting it on the morning news on channel 5, "looks like Coachella will be leaving in 2014 due to an 18 % increased tax proposed by the city council" I'm excited for a change, Take all the time you need Goldenvoice, and put together an awesome venue with lots of grass and alot more space!

Did the television reporter cite his/her sources?

Mr. Fuzz
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I say, "Make them pay". GV are sounding like some greedy fuckers.

stinkbutt
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Would you agree to an 18% tax increase just because you are doing well for yourself?

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Perhaps negotiation would have been wise.

Mr. Fuzz
07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
"Doing well for myself" is making $75,000 a year, homie. They need to give back to our community.

Tubesock Shakur
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Dont move it to Vegas. Dont move it to Vegas. Dont move it to Vegas.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
Sounds like according to this article it's a done deal. This was the link also provided on the Huffington Post, as well. Anyone think this was ALWAYS in the cards, the decision to leave here seems like it was made awhile ago, according to the article.

http://www.thewrap.com/music/article/coachella-music-festival-saying-goodbye-indio-46596

The source in that article is the same one in the Urb article, the same one we've been discussing in this thread for days. In it Paul is quoted with saying IF they make the tax happen, the fest will move blah blah. A lot of people are having the same reading comprehension problems these fuckwads "journalists" are having.

All of these sources have just all of a sudden discovered attention to an almost-week-old local article that we've known about since it was first published. This is stupid.

Miroir Noir
Maybe they could give back to the community by donating $3 from each ticket to charity.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 08:53 AM
They could just jack up hoodie prices.

stinkbutt
"Doing well for myself" is making $75,000 a year, homie. They need to give back to our community.

How do you think your community is going to do when you force them out?

Mr. Fuzz
Rich people need to pay taxes.

stinkbutt
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Poor people need businesses that help their communities

JustSteve
07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
They already do, well over a million. How about all the money they pay for permitting, to the city for police and other services. There is hundreds of thousands or a million more. This whole tax the rich more because they have the money argument is such bullshit.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
The middle class needs sick beats.

PlayaDelWes
07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Maybe they could give back to the community by bringing a bunch of business for the festival to the valley’s restaurants, taxi and shuttle drivers, by hiring local workers, and providing 3 weeks of guaranteed occupancy for hotels and renters in the area and all of the taxes associated with those services.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
This whole tax the rich more because they have the money argument is such bullshit.

Welcome to America. We have a progressive taxation system. It's been this way for decades. Go get mouthfuck desiccated.

Miroir Noir
07-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Mr. Fuzz, I am about as much of a redistributionist, spread-the-wealth-around liberal as they come. Half of this country has lost its mind in a crazy belief that no one, anywhere, but especially the rich and powerful, should ever be asked to pay higher taxes. But that's not what this is: this is one city councilman proposing to invent a whole new category of tax to specifically target one unique event in his city, instead of asking his citizens to pay higher taxes for their own services. This isn't a great stand for fairness and justice in taxing, it's a great stand for stupidity: creating a new, discriminatory tax that kills the golden goose.

The company that runs the event, is a successful for-profit entity, no doubt, but one that does give back to the community through charity, and one that has enough of a conscience to fight for its customers in promising to not pass the cost of new taxes on to them. Moreover, the company and its event pump hundred of thousands if not millions of dollars of tax revenue into the city's coffers already, through sales and tourism-related taxes. To say nothing of the stimulative effect that the event and the people that it employs have on the local economy overall.

GuyInTucson
07-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Mitch beat me to it.

It's very simple: Shut the fuck up and be happy with what two weekends of Coachella and one weekend of Stagecoach bring to the economy of Indio and surrounding communities, or risk having it move elsewhere - possibly out of the Coachella Valley completely - and get nothing. Sam Torres proposed tax has completely backfired in his face.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Goldenvoice is a huge entity with a similarly sized impact on the local community. The responsible thing to do would be to negotiate, not play chicken with the local government. If Torres' answer to his constituents was "shut the fuck up and take it" he would be a terrible representative.

thestripe
07-05-2012, 09:35 AM
It is equally GV's right to move their business elsewhere if they feel the tax is bullshit.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Of course it's their right. It's their right to shut down the festival at any time. I'm suggesting that, from all appearances, it is being handled poorly.

Miroir Noir
07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
My guess is that Goldenvoice is not negotiating on this issue because they either a) want to totally marginalize the tax effort politically, and they feel that they have the maximum leverage to do so, or b) are actually using this as an excuse to execute long-gestating plans move out Indio anyway, which, according to those leaked text messages, seems like a real possibility.

Mr. Fuzz
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Goldenvoice is a huge entity with a similarly sized impact on the local community.

Especially the communities infrastructure.

Mr. Fuzz
07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
My guess is that Goldenvoice is not negotiating on this issue because they either a) want to totally marginalize the tax effort politically, and they feel that they have the maximum leverage to do so, or b) are actually using this as an excuse to execute long-gestating plans move out Indio anyway, which, according to those leaked text messages, seems like a real possibility.

Or because they'd like to blow the extra 6 milli while laying naked on a beach in Ibiza.

Sexecutioner
07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
yea it sounds like they were already going to move and this tax just gave them a reason to do so sooner rather than later.

thestripe
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Or because they'd like to blow the extra 6 milli while laying naked on a beach in Ibiza.

You do realize that the tax is on consumers, right?

Mr. Fuzz
07-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I would be pleased if one new library, museum, park, or fire station was built with this money. Or better yet, what if, just a little bit of this money, went to employing a dozen more firemen or teachers.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM

No, the tax was not on consumers. It would have been a tax for every ticket sold, and GV MIGHT have passed that on to consumers, but the city would have way to tax transactions made outside of the city.

Mr. Fuzz
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM

..."Tollett calculated the tax would be about $36 per ticket, which he said he would not pass on to festival-goers. It would therefore cost the promoters $4 million to $6 million."

thestripe
07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Ok, got it. Just the amount it cost for a headliner. Perfect.

captncrzy
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Stop feeding the troll.

CrimesceneCookie
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
It sounds like Sam Torres intends on being a permanent thorn in GV's side.
Why negotiate for a crappy deal with a guy who no one would want to do business with, when they could start from scratch in a city that wants them and gives them incentives?

GuyInTucson
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Goldenvoice is a huge entity with a similarly sized impact on the local community. The responsible thing to do would be to negotiate, not play chicken with the local government. If Torres' answer to his constituents was "shut the fuck up and take it" he would be a terrible representative.

He will also be viewed as a terrible representative if people believe he is the sole reason Indio loses out on all the money the three weekends of festivals bring to the local economy. He picked his battle poorly here. He had little foresight when pursuing this tax proposal.

Perhaps Goldenvoice doesn't want to negotiate with a community that has tried to strong arm them in the past on multiple issues because they have no real intentions of staying anyway, but that doesn't mean Torres made a smart move with his proposal.

HotHamWater
07-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Surely it's possible that neither party is handling this all that well.

menikmati
07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
So funny how Torres wants us festival goers to pay more money to attend, yet he doesn't pay shit and instead receives free VIP passes each year. Fuck him.

JustSteve
07-05-2012, 10:40 AM

but what if they have already found a piece of land they can control free and clear somewhere in the area, somewhere not within the limits of a city and the bureaucracy that comes with it? it could be very exciting times if an opportunity like that came along for goldenvoice.

xuclarockerx
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM

probably the best post in here

Mugwog
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Everyone who has been going to Coachella/following it for a minute has seen this before, we've seen minor increases from the city and didn't La Quinta try to pull some random tax last year? I feel like no matter what, a governing body, whether local, state or federal, will find a way extort the most money from any successful entrepreneurs. My first year in 2004, that town was a dirt clump with a few spread out gated communities. Now that shit looks like Laguna Niguel in Orange County. No matter what, in the end, we will pay whatever increase is asked of Goldenvoice. Even though they may state, "oh yeah, we won't charge teh fans, cuz its aboutz the fanz!" They will probably spend less on their budget for the following years, smaller pay offs for bands, more PLUR related acts, owning more local homes in the area provides them with free lodging for performers and crew. Craigslist provides them with security. No matter what, we will pay for the rich, as we are the poor. God Bless Coachella.

suprefan
07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
probably the best post in here

handling it better than you handle Woodystock.

sonofhal
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM

There are two sides to the story? No way!

SFTekbear
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
http://isun.blogs.mydesert.com/2012/07/05/keeping-the-facts-straight-on-the-coachella-controversy/

Straight from the people who wrote the article. This is a ballot measure that the majority of the citizens of Indio do not want. The motivation for getting it on the ballot is purely that of a single politican who is looking to make a name for himself.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Well then it won't pass, will it?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM
There are two sides to the story? No way!

LcNwob_njTY

kroqken
07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
So funny how Torres wants us festival goers to pay more money to attend, yet he doesn't pay shit and instead receives free VIP passes each year. Fuck him.

Can a registered voter in Indio PLEASE launch a recall campaign against Torres. It worked on the Gray Davis campaign. Lets start a RECALL TORRES campaign. Maybe someone can also create a recalltorres.com website.

Miroir Noir
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Cruz Bustamante for Indio City Council. No on recall, yes on Bustamante!

CrimesceneCookie
07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Well then it won't pass, will it?

So you're saying Sam Torres is wasting everyone's time and money?

Mugwog
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Instead of recalling him, demote him to official tamale festival curator and that's it

HotHamWater
07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Can a registered voter in Indio PLEASE launch a recall campaign against Torres. It worked on the Gray Davis campaign. Lets start a RECALL TORRES campaign. Maybe someone can also create a recalltorres.com website.

Maybe you should create the web site, you lazy sack of shit.

SoulDischarge
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
It's difficult staying relevant on a library computer.

kroqken
07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Maybe you should create the web site, you lazy sack of shit.

I live in Los Angeles. I cannot vote in the city of Indio. A registered voter in INDIO should create the website AND start a petition drive to recall Torres. I am far from lazy, I have been involved in politics for may years, but a campaign against Torres would be more effective if done from a local activist in Indio, not a carpetbagger from L.A.

TomAz
07-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Goldenvoice is a huge entity with a similarly sized impact on the local community. The responsible thing to do would be to negotiate, not play chicken with the local government.

From what I'd read that's exactly what they had been doing. Negotiating, and then some dickwad comes along and wants a seat at the table and proposes an unreasonable tax just to create some leverage. GV responded by creating some leverage of their own.

Attempting to pass moral judgment on business negotiations is futile. Who gives a shit who's right and who's wrong.

SFTekbear
07-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Yes. You might also be surprised to find out that the Black Eyes Peas use Autotune.

SFTekbear
07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120703/LIFESTYLES010102/207030310/Sam-Torres-offers-back-off-Coachella-ticket-tax-initiative

It sounds like he is using this as a way to get appointed to the committee that reviews GV's permit applications. The likely scenario is that the mayor appoints Torres which will give him some power to twist GV's arm into giving more to Indio, but not as much as the proposed tax. They'll reach a compromise, and either we will pay a few dollars more in the ticket price or GV will cut corners to make up the difference.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 02:37 PM

I'm saying Sam Torres is being a politician while GV people send childish text messages about how big and thick their awards are.

CrimesceneCookie
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Remember the day that guy PotvsKtl called Goldenvoice childish?
Wasn't that funny?

Coachella Bound
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
here we go again......

UPDATE 2: Goldenvoice has contacted us to inform us that the comment left claiming factual errors and attributed to Paul T of Goldenvoice was not actually Paul T. Real funny guys

xuclarockerx
07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
BUT HOW DO THEY KNOW THAT WAS GOLDENVOICE

reverb
07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120705/NEWS01/120705013/Indio-councilman-drops-ticket-tax-plan-avoid-losing-Coachella-Stagecoach?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

Indio councilman drops ticket tax plan to avoid losing Coachella and Stagecoach

4:05 PM, Jul. 5, 2012

Indio Councilman Sam Torres has decided to drop his pursuit of a controversial ticket tax that had pinned him against his fellow council members and caused Goldenvoice to potentially move the internationally renowned Coachella festival.

“The potential for the music festivals to move out of the city exists, and if this should occur it would negatively impact the region; I cannot in good conscience allow this to happen no matter how dire the city’s circumstances,” said Torres.

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Wasn't that funny?

I have more money than you.

GuyInTucson
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120705/NEWS01/120705013/Indio-councilman-drops-ticket-tax-plan-avoid-losing-Coachella-Stagecoach?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

Indio councilman drops ticket tax plan to avoid losing Coachella and Stagecoach

4:05 PM, Jul. 5, 2012

Indio Councilman Sam Torres has decided to drop his pursuit of a controversial ticket tax that had pinned him against his fellow council members and caused Goldenvoice to potentially move the internationally renowned Coachella festival.

“The potential for the music festivals to move out of the city exists, and if this should occur it would negatively impact the region; I cannot in good conscience allow this to happen no matter how dire the city’s circumstances,” said Torres.

Now the question is, does it really matter?

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Torres folds. Goldenvoice declines to show its hand.

CrimesceneCookie
07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I have more money than you.

kil yurslef bor

amyzzz
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Yay!

Coachella Bound
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Now the question is, does it really matter?

i dont think so.... by putting their foot down now it helps put things in perspective for any members of whatever city council hosts the event in the future. More than likely moving to an area where a long term deal can be squared away and none of this bullshit has to take place.

bmack86
07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Can a registered voter in Indio PLEASE launch a recall campaign against Torres. It worked on the Gray Davis campaign.

That recall election really went well for California, eh?

PotVsKtl
07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
kil yurslef bor

An individual of my financial stature doesn't perform manual labor. Get back in the fields and fetch my kiwis

jgafs
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
NBC LA News at 5pm just ran a segment about all this. Coachella soon could be a free agent.

Though rumor has it that the Lakers are gonna buy the festival then trade it to Orlando along with Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard.

suprefan
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Torres folds. Goldenvoice declines to show its hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFF3E0Aqdlc

digitaldragon03
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
NBC LA News at 5pm just ran a segment about all this. Coachella soon could be a free agent.

Though rumor has it that the Lakers are gonna buy the festival then trade it to Orlando along with Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard.

/fin.

suprefan
07-05-2012, 09:56 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Coachella-may-reloc-161386545.html

CrimesceneCookie
07-06-2012, 12:18 AM
guy didn't even get to keep his hair

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/images/torres8.jpg

http://cmsimg.gdn.mydesert.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J1&Date=20120706&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=207060316&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Indio-councilman-shelves-ticket-tax

heart cooks brain
07-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Wasn't that funny?

politicians are not childish.

H_is_O
07-06-2012, 06:08 AM
how many more scares are going to occur before 2013?

TomAz
07-06-2012, 07:03 AM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Coachella-may-reloc-161386545.html

Geraldine Glidden · Pasadena, California

What's Torres' IQ?

Reply ·

· 11 hours ago

David Fiedler · Top Commenter · Rescue, California

5 to 10, just like his proposed tax!

Reply · 1 ·

· 11 hours ago

fatbastard
07-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I wonder if that land deal will go through.

captncrzy
07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Fuck it. I still hope they move.

JustSteve
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm sure they will continue looking into options for the future and remain open to a move if the perfect opportunity arises.

amyzzz
07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm afraid of change. I don't want them to move.

xuclarockerx
07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm afraid of change. I don't want them to move.
---

SoulDischarge
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Change is the only constant. Embrace it.

bartelby
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
booooo change

my family has a place next door to the polo fields and i enjoy biking into the fest in under 10 mins....

algunz
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Even this year? 10 minutes?

Courtney
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I would be down with a location that had enough nearby accomodation options that the surge in demand over Coachella weekends wouldn't jack up the rates so astronomically. I would also be down with a location where there were more plentiful bottle refill stations so the lines weren't so long. And parking and road infastructure designed to accomodate thousand upon thousands of cars. But I have no idea where that location might be.

PotVsKtl
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Even this year? 10 minutes?

Were you under the impression that space-time had been altered this year?

JustSteve
07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
She is probably alluding to the fact that there was a specific bike route this year and certain roads were closed to all traffic.

PlayaDelWes
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Pot was probably alluding to something much more interesting than festival orienteering.

TomAz
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I would be down with a location that had enough nearby accomodation options that the surge in demand over Coachella weekends wouldn't jack up the rates so astronomically. I would also be down with a location where there were more plentiful bottle refill stations so the lines weren't so long. And parking and road infastructure designed to accomodate thousand upon thousands of cars. But I have no idea where that location might be.

http://i.eatliver.com/2010/6110.jpg

Courtney
07-06-2012, 12:01 PM
I like that rainbow umbrella.

nyarlathotoats
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I think its pretty clear at this point that Mr. Torres realizes he made a huge mistake. It's no longer a question of whether or not Coachella will leave Indio, but rather when.

sonofhal
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Nobody knows what will happen, but lets keep speculating regardless.

HotHamWater
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I think Coachella will cease to exist at some point.

heart cooks brain
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.kelvingoh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Anything-Possible-Keep-Thinking.jpg