PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

gaypalmsprings
06-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Last weekend I took advantage of the free Windows 8 beta download. I have been using Vista on my computer for the last 3 years, and got blue screens galore.

I love Windows 8. It takes some getting used to, for example there is no "start" button. But it is very speedy and has lots of fun options. I had to reinstall some programs, but all the data was still there - it wasn't erased with the update. Of course, I backed everything up on an external hard drive. So far no blue screens, but it's flakey at shutting down.

Anyone else done the beta update yet? I'm looking forward to the release of the real Windows 8.

TheWatcher
06-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I resist change for the sake of change. :) I just updated from Windows 2000 to Windows 7, only because my motherboard died. After 3 months, I still haven't found ways to fix all the quirky behaviors.

Is there really no way to get a start menu?

menikmati
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
There are ways to get the standard start menu (in the desktop view) back in Windows 8....it's actually a simple "hack"/edit...probably easy to just Google for it.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I resist change for the sake of change. :) I just updated from Windows 2000 to Windows 7, only because my motherboard died. After 3 months, I still haven't found ways to fix all the quirky behaviors.

Is there really no way to get a start menu?

Hey TheWatcher, this seems pretty straightforward.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/

TheWatcher
06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey TheWatcher, this seems pretty straightforward.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/

Yeah, I found that, have it installed. It was one of the first things I did. There are some little problems with it I haven't figured out yet, for example the search box doesn't work.

lehorne
06-27-2012, 08:50 AM
is Gay bragging again? Is this a bragging thread?

Having a hard enough time with Win 7 Pro 64bit lately. Nvidia Geforce 6800 gt keeps jacking up daily (have to uninstall in safe mode and reload) and finally reverted to legacy drivers this morning in an attempt to stabilize.

Those Win 8 tablets look pretty sweet though.

unit300021
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm personally scared to try windows 8. Windows has a habit of releasing a really good OS followed up by a really terrible one and I really like Windows 7. However after seeing the preview video for it, it does have some eye candy that will probably cause me to cave in at some point.

lehorne
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
yeah, wonder if the Windows Me(h) head honcho lost his head

fikus222
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Having a hard enough time with Win 7 Pro 64bit lately. Nvidia Geforce 6800 gt keeps jacking up daily (have to uninstall in safe mode and reload) and finally reverted to legacy drivers this morning in an attempt to stabilize.

I think I'm having this problem as well. My problem presents while watching video through a few different players and while playing music in iTunes. The video and/or audio will slow/slur and then speed back up again.

Does this sound like your problem as well?

lehorne
06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
No, I don't use iTunes. My PC would freeze solid, then after a hard reboot would have all these blurry lines on the startup screens followed by an unlegible login page. It just happens erratically like once a day. Think I'll also vacuum the inside out this weekend as it's been a while and the fans may be a bit dusty.

M Sparks
06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I have Windows 8 on a removable drive on my main office computer, haven't had much time to test it, but it's in interesting combo of cool and goofy. I'm not sure I want all that crap integrated with my OS, but it was kind of neat how I could just enter my Google account and everything was just there. I might consider putting it on my laptop because that's about 70/30 personal/business. There's no way in hell I'm putting it on my office machine though. Windows 7 is rock solid, don't see any justification in changing.

Phenomena
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
I put it on my laptop the other day and so far I like it. My only complaint is that some programs are buggy but of course you'll get that for an os that's only in beta. however all the stuff I use to work with on here (ableton, adobe cs5 and 6, final draft) all work a ok.

1litro
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
is Gay bragging again? Is this a bragging thread?

Those Win 8 tablets look pretty sweet though.

I am running WIN7 X64 with a Nvidia GeForce 6800 also, and my machine crashed constantly. The fix!, reseating the graphics card, removing the quick clip, and placing a good old fashion computer screw. Amazing my machine has been stable for a year now

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/3fb3d7f1.jpg

RotationSlimWang
07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Having replaced about 2000 video cards... why in the hell did you need to drill any holes?

1litro
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Having replaced about 2000 video cards... why in the hell did you need to drill any holes?

My bad, got my projects mixed up

gaypalmsprings
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I installed Windows 8 because I was tired of having to reinstall my Windows Vista 64-bit every 4 to 6 months. So far I have had few problems, mostly related to shutting down. If I just let the computer sit, it will eventually go to sleep mode. Then after a while longer it will turn itself off. Otherwise, to shut it down directly, I have to press the computer on/off button. It is interesting, in that in Windows Vista, it would go through this rouitine telling me I shut down improperly & in what mode would I like to start the computer. With Windows 8, it just starts right up.

It is also interesting you mentioned the video card causing problems. With Windows 8, every once in a while the screen will blink, then it says it has successfully recovered from a video crash. No blue screen, it just fixed itself. So far, Windows 8 beta has been better for me than Vista, more stable and much faster.

HunterGather
07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
You should get a mac.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
07-08-2012, 09:11 PM
You should get a mac.

Plenty of people have OS issues on their macs. That is the stupidest, laziest advice ever.

HunterGather
07-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes.

marooko
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Plenty of people have OS issues on their macs. That is the stupidest, laziest advice ever.

You're just mad that you didn't say it first. Did you know they don't get viruses?

1litro
07-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Did you know they don't get viruses?

They do U just don't know about it, the simple little virus for a Mac just fills the hard drive with little bits of info and eventually the machine slows down. Mac owners just buy a new Mac

HunterGather
07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Or they just reformat their computer...