PDA

View Full Version : Hey dumbass, watch Louie.

cutterbutter
06-23-2012, 04:28 PM
So season 3 is starting this coming Thursday, June 28th. Don't be a moron and miss it.

If you've never seen the show both of the previous seasons are on DVD and got added to Netflix Instant recently. So, go watch it. Funniest show on tv.

http://i.imgur.com/K62rh.jpg

cutterbutter
06-23-2012, 04:31 PM
This was a PSA sponsored by me laughing so hard I started crying.

Lurker_in_a_tree
06-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey Dickhead,
We're already watching Louie so quit acting like it's your personal discovery.
It's my 3rd favorite show but I think you'd be hard pressed to call it the "funniest show on tv".
The show gets really really dramatic a lot which turns off a lot of people expecting laughs.

cutterbutter
06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Sure it gets dramatic but there is humor in his honesty.

I've been rewatching it since its starting back up again and just wanted to tell folks season 2 is on Netflix Instant now and maybe some would be interested in catching up for the new season and then posting here.

marooko
06-23-2012, 05:06 PM
We have a friend that was dying for us to watch some of his standup. He even brought over a burned DVD one time. I don't know where the fuck it is. I respect the guy for writing new shit more frequently than others, I just don't find him that funny.

Riggins33
06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
This show sucks balls.

CrimesceneCookie
06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah, the show definitely is not for turdy kids.
As someone who doesn't like turdy kids, I like everything about this show.
His $5 special was pretty good too.

Riggins33
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I just said that to get nerds like you mad, and it worked...

CrimesceneCookie
06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
meme picture

sbessiso
06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I couldnt even finish the first episode, but I can try harder

marooko
06-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Don't hold your breath.

psychic friend
06-23-2012, 11:39 PM
i love him. i can't wait.

schoolofruckus
06-24-2012, 01:01 AM
It's one of the best, most inventive shows on TV, no question. But in its quest to not only be a comedy, but to cultivate an understanding of where it comes from and why it's necessary, it's deliberately not funny, like, at least a third of the time. That needs to be made clear in any recommendation.

corbo
06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
i started watching this on Netflix after a list of best tv you posted a few weeks back School
everything after the Pilot has been great! love it

xuclarockerx
06-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Only thing I've ever seen of this guy was some random standup footage at a friend's house. I loved the bit he did about people overusing hyperbolic words like "amazing" and "hilarious". Not even from a standpoint of comedy. That shit needs to printed on paper and made required reading for every twentysomething.

cutterbutter
06-24-2012, 02:25 AM
It's one of the best, most inventive shows on TV, no question. But in its quest to not only be a comedy, but to cultivate an understanding of where it comes from and why it's necessary, it's deliberately not funny, like, at least a third of the time. That needs to be made clear in any recommendation.

In hindsight of my post, and also revising the episode where he goes to visit the US Troops and meets with old comedy friend who wants to kill himself, I realize I should be clear that there is a lot more to it to help support the laughs. I was making a big assumption that people have/are going to watch and become versed in his stand up comedy (like I was) and understand where a lot of the non-comedy of the show comes from.

I still stand by my statement that it is the "Funniest show on tv" currently despite the drama.

Only thing I've ever seen of this guy was some random standup footage at a friend's house. I loved the bit he did about people overusing hyperbolic words like "amazing" and "hilarious". Not even from a standpoint of comedy. That shit needs to printed on paper and made required reading for every twentysomething.

I believe that is from Chewed Up.

This point and his thoughts on bubble gum flavored medicine for children are two that have resinated with me in my life on the day to day. I was a Death Cab for Cutie show and also very excited to see the opener Youth Lagoon. The man sitting next to me asked me about them and I replied that "Their debut record from last year was pretty wonderful." When I used the word wonderful his jaw dropped as if I had taken a shit on the floor of the Disney Concert Hall and then he continued to comment on how very taken back by using it he was. I was mildly offended myself as well as disappointed that this the expectation that "twentysomething"s have colored for ourselves.

Not to say I'm not hyperbolic, though not when talking about how great Louie is, but I try to elevate my vocabulary a touch where I can.

frozen pilgrim
06-24-2012, 06:33 AM
i love him. i can't wait.

give old paul T a poke in the ribs! maybe we could get louis next year! if chris rock can do the main stage at bonnarroo, louis can handle a decent coachella slot.

icedKeg
06-24-2012, 10:41 PM
thanks for the heads up on netflix instant, cutter. watched almost the entire first season today. there were several scenes in which i nearly cried laughing. "your father is dead" with matthew broderick was one of them.

buddy
06-24-2012, 10:56 PM
I believe that is from Chewed Up.

i'm pretty sure it's on Hilarious, which is on netflix, as well.

cutterbutter
06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
thanks for the heads up on netflix instant, cutter. watched almost the entire first season today. there were several scenes in which i nearly cried laughing. "your father is dead" with matthew broderick was one of them.

My only complaint is that is goes way too fast. Some of the episodes are just at 20 minutes. Yes, some of the guests are great. They feel very natural whenever they show up. Glad you are enjoying it!

nosurprises12
06-25-2012, 07:04 AM
i'm pretty sure it's on Hilarious, which is on netflix, as well.

It is (hence the title).

I'm quite excited for the season to start, as this is one of my favorite shows on television.

marooko
06-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Can someone recommend an episode or standup bit to watch. All the cock sucking is making me feel like I missed something.

TomAz
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
8r1CZTLk-Gk

nosurprises12
06-25-2012, 07:20 AM
^ "Just give it a second - it's coming from SPACE!"

s120QJv6Ikg

M Sparks
06-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Only thing I've ever seen of this guy was some random standup footage at a friend's house. I loved the bit he did about people overusing hyperbolic words like "amazing" and "hilarious".

Or "funniest".

schoolofruckus
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
In hindsight of my post, and also revising the episode where he goes to visit the US Troops and meets with old comedy friend who wants to kill himself, I realize I should be clear that there is a lot more to it to help support the laughs. I was making a big assumption that people have/are going to watch and become versed in his stand up comedy (like I was) and understand where a lot of the non-comedy of the show comes from.

I still stand by my statement that it is the "Funniest show on tv" currently despite the drama.

I don't argue with that title, although my version would be "Best funny show on TV". Still, I don't think the Eddie episode - or the bully episode, to name another of the series' darker chapters - are in any way designed to be funny. Or maybe they are and I'm not entirely on CK's wavelength.

schoolofruckus
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Can someone recommend an episode or standup bit to watch. All the cock sucking is making me feel like I missed something.

Watch Season 2, Episode 7. It was my entry point and it's fucking brilliant.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-25-2012, 11:31 AM
You guys, Louis CK wrote and directed one of the best movies ever made: POOTIE TANG.

Never forget.

Starraven
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Ho-lyy Shit LOL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pootie_Tang)^^^

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I seriously do love that movie. I had no idea who Louis CK was when it came out, so it was hilarious to go back and discover it after he got big with his stand up.

schoolofruckus
06-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I saw it in an altered state about 8 or 9 years ago, expecting very little....and I thought it was considerably better than it's reputation. So it was totally gratifying when I stumbled across that entry on his Wikipedia page.

nathanfairchild
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
He had this round table discussion on comedy with Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, and Ricky Gervais on HBO. It was a pretty interesting discussion.

PotVsKtl
06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
PYuaycrkh9g

H_is_O
06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
hes a funny dude

PotVsKtl
06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Shut it down.

SoccerRyot
06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I have only seen one entire episode of this show (when his pregnant sister comes to visit), but the scenes I have seen from a couple of others made me stop and watch. Parts of it seem so boringly normal. Then some crazy or bizarre shit happens that leaves me with my jaw on the floor in shock, but laughing my ass off at the same time. Or cringing. Hopefully I will catch more eps soon.

schoolofruckus
06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
At the risk of crashing it further:
https://buy.louisck.net/tour-dates

nosurprises12
06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Bummer that there's no Los Angeles date; maybe he will add one in that gap between Chicago and SF.

amyzzz
06-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Wow, I guess I am seeing Louis CK for Christmas. Yippee!

schoolofruckus
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah I got four in the orchestra for the second night in SF. Fucking psyched.

amyzzz
06-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Gabe.

cutterbutter
06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Also, thank you for not copy pasting the whole letter from like Spooks did.

schoolofruckus
06-25-2012, 06:23 PM
The letter is entertaining. But the link is what's relevant.

cutterbutter
06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
If you all have not read his reddit AMA from around the time he made the million bucks over night you should really seek it out. A magnificent bastard.

The LA dates will be forthcoming maybe even after tonight's shows at the Improv. It's just another beast finding venues not locked into ticket deals.

Aphxtwinin
06-25-2012, 07:25 PM
got my Denver tix!

nathanfairchild
06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
got my dallas ticket. still contemplating either austin show.

Tubesock Shakur
06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Gots mah Denver tixs. Thanks Gabe.

cutterbutter
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
TONIGHT!

schoolofruckus
06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Loved it. Can't wait to see the next one/twelve.

Grandma
06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
So season 3 is starting this coming Thursday, June 28th. Don't be a moron and miss it.

If you've never seen the show both of the previous seasons are on DVD and got added to Netflix Instant recently. So, go watch it. Funniest show on tv.

http://i.imgur.com/K62rh.jpg

I saw pooty tang in a theater. you're late.

Miroir Noir
06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2012/06/27_louisck_940.gif

jackstraw94086
06-29-2012, 08:29 PM
his kids look 0% black. what gives.

samiksha
06-29-2012, 08:53 PM
I think after the first season aired, someone asked him about why he had the same actress play his date in one episode and his mom in another, and he said he just doesn't care. So I guess that's what happened there. He just makes shit up and changes it all the time. The first season he had a brother, the second season he had 2 sisters. The first season his wife was a white, blonde lady. I just watched the episode in the second season where he buys that 17 million dollar house that he cannot at all afford, like that is completely impossible for him to have bought, and I can't remember now what happens with that. If they ever even show them living there or if they're just in another apartment later on.

schoolofruckus
06-30-2012, 12:02 AM
his kids look 0% black. what gives.

There's 0% chance that a front loader would repeatedly smash a civilian's car? Or that a trenching crew would start a project in the middle of the day rather than at 7 am? Or that an errant duckling would instantly defuse tension between the Afghan and US armies? Or that Dane Cook is a decent human being?

Also, samiksha, he didn't buy the house.

TomServo
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
He's characterized the show as a series of short films. If you think about it like that, you won't waste any time trying to keep the timeline sensible.

I still don't know what happened with his niece and sister.

cutterbutter
07-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Yes, what TomServo said. To paraphrase an interview I saw with him, he said the it is edited also helps indicate the order of things. His examples were if Louie is mid comedy act and then it cuts to a life moment then its considered part of the comedy act's routine more or less. Where as when you see walk up the steps of the comedy club and start interacting with the world than that is true life for the character. But the editing is as inconstant as the continuity is so it really doesn't matter too much.

I'd get a huge kick out of him revealing that they made the wife black just for the sake of inspiring this kind of conversation.

I thought the first episode back was great. I love the episodes that jump around a bit more. The blurred penis bit of the stand up was hilarious as well!

TomServo
07-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Not that relevatory, but...
On casting an African-American woman as Louie's ex-wife even though his kids are white:
"It just was the actress being as good as she was and the character feeling right. I think when people first see her, their brains do a little DNA map and go, "I'm not sure how that would happen." And I think with my show people say Ahh, just go ahead. And then they watch the scene. The thing that's important is what's getting said. Her performances are really compelling. I like what that character brings out in me and in the show, so for me, that trumped whatever logistical notion. She's very direct and very self-possessed. And she's got a great demeanor for someone who has moved on in her life. She's moved on in life and she's on a good new chapter, and she looks like she's in a better new chapter than me, as far as us having shared a chapter earlier. So I think that's a good contrast."

http://www.tv.com/news/louis-c-k-on-adding-an-ex-wife-and-happiness-to-louie-season-3-28977/

chairmenmeow47
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
the mom isn't really relevant other than someone to call and ask about the kids anyway. also, i think bottom line the budget is cheap enough he gets away with being an asshole, but also has to ask people to play for cheap, which would mean no consistent mother character.

corbo
07-07-2012, 05:34 PM
"strap on the feed bag"
lol outrageous

TomServo
07-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Best TV role for a recent Oscar winner in recent history? Did Natalie Portman have her Oscar when she was rapping on SNL?

Then again, I have a soft spot for Melissa Leo as Homicide: Life on the Street is one of my all-time favorite shows.

HunterGather
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Love this show :D

0dSDjZLnSeI

cutterbutter
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
The child actors who play his kids are so great. Some of the best laughs when he talking to them.

buddy
07-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I think i've watched that scene with Melissa Leo in the car about four or five times, still makes me laugh.

Down Rodeo
07-21-2012, 06:30 PM
The last episode made me the happiest I've ever felt watching Louie. I have a feeling he'll end up writing some miserable ending to this date he's going on, but when he fist-pumped at the end, I genuinely felt good about life.

CrimesceneCookie
07-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I doubt we'll ever see her again. The show doesn't really operate with a sense of continuity like that.

Down Rodeo
07-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Except that the name of the episode is Daddy's Girlfriend (Part 1).

jackstraw94086
07-21-2012, 06:41 PM
I'll bet Parker Posey turns out to be incredibly strange in the sack.

cutterbutter
07-22-2012, 01:50 AM
I loved that black and white dream scene with random books getting thrown at them while hooking up.

Also the credits scene of them filming the drowning scene in the Miami episode was hilarious. I'm glad they notice the absurdity.

CrimesceneCookie
07-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Except that the name of the episode is Daddy's Girlfriend (Part 1).

Didn't even catch that; I stand corrected :-)

kitt kat
07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I hope Parker Posey becomes a recurring character. I love her.

SoulDischarge
07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah. Louis C.K. and Parker Posey is such a winning combination. I didn't recognize her until she started speaking though.

I just now noticed some random passerby flicks off the camera in the opening credits sequence when Louie's in the pizza shop.

CrimesceneCookie
07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I hope Parker Posey becomes a recurring character. I love her.

If it stays true to the show, Parker Posey will be batshit crazy in the next episode. Either that or Louie will blow it in a spectacular way.

Down Rodeo
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I just now noticed some random passerby flicks off the camera in the opening credits sequence when Louie's in the pizza shop.

Hah, I recently noticed that too. Louie notices it too and shoots a glance at the guy, then at the camera.

cutterbutter
07-27-2012, 03:00 AM
Beautiful episode.

jackstraw94086
07-27-2012, 07:48 AM
That was intense. I would not be surprised if that won an emmy.

Totally love that the bum was Charley from Young Guns.

JustSteve
08-04-2012, 10:23 AM
oh man, last weeks episode was great, too. that kid Never, oh my.

Mint Julep
08-04-2012, 01:23 PM
"I diarrhead in the tub."

Somewhat Damaged
08-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Kid: Why doesn't she like me?
Louie: Because you eat raw meat and shit in the bathtub.

cutterbutter
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I'LL DIE!

jackstraw94086
09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
anyone else think the writing on Louis has gone a little over the top?

The Parker Posey episode was the last good one. I think the father freakout thing was the jump the shark moment.
I did love his confrontation with Mark Maron though.

CrimesceneCookie
09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I do wonder when the general theme of the show will move on from "neurotic New York women", but the gold moments (like him watching himself on the department store security camera and he's a completely different person) make it still worthwhile.

cutterbutter
09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
He is performing two sets at the Hollywood Improv tonight... Sold out of course. Damn.

I loved the Talk Show episode. His writing is best when it is most reflexive. Excited for the next two parts of that story line.

schoolofruckus
09-06-2012, 05:18 AM
AHEM! (http://largo.laughstub.com/show.cfm?id=185684&cart)

cutterbutter
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah saw the email came at 6:11am... Just got up.

getbetter
09-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Louie was really funny and got a dozen or so laughs out of me than David Cross did at fyf.It was all new jokes consisting of cell phones have change our lifes, the apple cloud, dating is great,getting older, more on how being divorce changes your perspective, and how certain morals are ok but something should might happen for a reason.

cutterbutter
09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Tonight at the comedy store!

The World Famous Comedy Store is overwhelmingly happy to announce that Louis CK will be back in our Main Room tonight, working out material for his upcoming tour.
And this time around we have TWO shows - 9:30 pm and 11:30 pm - so we’re happy that twice as many fans will get to experience Louis in our beautiful showroom.
Where do I get tickets?
Tickets are available in person at our box office at 8433 Sunset Bl from 10 am until we sell out.
How much?
$20, cash only
Does it cost extra for good seats?
All seats are $20, we seat on a first come, first serve basis. Doors open for the early show at 7:45 pm.
Can I get some for my friends?
Sure, but we limit 4 tickets per person.
Can I call ahead to reserve my tickets?
No, in person, cash in hand.
Please? I’m stuck in traffic but I’ll be there really soon.
Nope, in person, cash in hand only.
Why are you guys making this so hard on me?
We did it this way because we were blessed to have Louis join us as a last minute work out set and as you know from his recent tour & special sales models, he hates using middle men who charge things like “convenience fees.” And we figured a little inconvenience is worth the opportunity to see one of the absolute best comedians working today live.

getbetter
09-21-2012, 11:46 AM
No way i could make it out to hollywood before the line gets too crazy.

frazzles
09-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Fantastic episode this week. Reminiscent of my experiences in Japan.

gazercmh
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
The scene with him and the doll was hilarious.

HunterGather
09-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Such a great episode. Almost cried when Parker passed :(

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb2pn33WL91r11y1eo3_250.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb2pn33WL91r11y1eo7_250.gif

GolfWang
09-29-2012, 11:10 AM
I was laughing hysterically and crying at the doll scene. Holy shit.

The season started a bit slow, but the last four episodes have been great.

buddy
09-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes, that was a fantasic last episode for the season

schoolofruckus
09-30-2012, 09:01 AM
It's the best show on television right now, and quite frankly it might become my all-time favorite if it keeps building like this.

schoolofruckus
11-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I've got an extra ticket to his 7 pm show tonight if any of you San Franciscans are interested. I'll obviously let it go for the same $45 I spent on it. PM me if you're interested.

xanman86
11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I've got an extra ticket to his 7 pm show tonight if any of you San Franciscans are interested. I'll obviously let it go for the same $45 I spent on it. PM me if you're interested.

PM'ed

nosurprises12
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Some tickets just popped up for shows next year in Philadelphia, Newark, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Phoenix: https://buy.louisck.net/tour-dates

Miroir Noir
03-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Forgot we had a thread for this: Louie is back this May. (http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/fx-sets-louie-season-4-premiere-for-may)

schoolofruckus
05-14-2014, 08:57 AM
This show was already the best thing on TV, but the first four episodes of Season 4 have taken it to new highs.

TallGuyCM
05-14-2014, 09:06 AM
This show was already the best thing on TV, but the first four episodes of Season 4 have taken it to new highs.

The end of episode 3...

gazercmh
05-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Fantastic.

marooko
05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
overrated.

TallGuyCM
05-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Bring back the theme song at the beginning!

cutterbutter
05-15-2014, 02:06 AM
1. I forgot I made this thread
2. Fuck Lurker_in_a_tree
3. Theme song, yes!

bmack86
05-29-2014, 10:09 PM
This is the only show I can watch where I truly feel like they're making something artistic. As much as I loved things even like The Wire and Breaking Bad, Louie is a raw scream of emotion every week. Somehow he keeps getting better.

jackstraw94086
05-30-2014, 10:52 AM
This season is like watching a train wreck

jackstraw94086
06-02-2014, 11:14 PM
I'll bet Louis and Pamela Adlon were fucking shitting themselves laughing writing that last episode

TallGuyCM
06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
This whole season has been sensational, but man Charles Grodin fucking KILLS me.

TallGuyCM
06-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Congrats to Brokendoll for scoring the role as the principal on that episode tonight.

TallGuyCM
06-20-2014, 12:03 AM
What a spectacular season. Absolutely can't wait to see what's in store for next season.

chairmenmeow47
06-20-2014, 06:56 AM
i really loved the "so did the fat lady" episode. also enjoyed the season. minus louie's ass.

PotVsKtl
06-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Fuck that fat man right am I right? Keep your kit on you fat piece of shit lol

jackstraw94086
06-24-2014, 03:23 PM
I think there's one season left of Louis' befuddled schtick before everyone accepts it's gotten too old.

And holy ship please no more of his naked pretzel dough ass

TallGuyCM
06-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Hey, everybody! Gather 'round! Let's miss the point of the entire season, together!

chairmenmeow47
06-24-2014, 06:49 PM
i was just joking. i mean, he doesn't even have an ass.

cutterbutter
06-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Hey dumbass, stop watching Louie.

jackstraw94086
06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey, everybody! Gather 'round! Let's miss the point of the entire season, together!

Wait, are you that one guy that "gets it?"

TomServo
06-26-2014, 08:27 AM
If you like this show, check out the Irvine dates for the Oddball Comedy Festiva (http://www.oddballfest.com/)l - Louis CK, Aziz Ansari, Jim Gaffigan, Marc Maron.... and a few others.

nathanfairchild
06-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Is Louis' set going to be him masturbating on stage while everybody calls it genius?

jackstraw94086
06-26-2014, 09:01 AM
after calling his daughter a cunt.

PotVsKtl
06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
m5qXMrAd_G4

chairmenmeow47
07-01-2014, 07:51 AM
i've been rewatching lucky louie while i do shit around the house. man, that whole live studio audience thing is awful.