PDA

View Full Version : I Weep for the Future

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 07:48 AM
We're all going to die of starvation and neglect in our nursing homes while the apes rule the world.

On Sunday, a few hours after he was found dead in a California swimming pool at age 47, Rodney King--a central figure in the 1992 L.A. riots--began trending on Twitter.

News of King's death was quickly followed by a related, if disturbing, Twitter trend: "Who is Rodney King?"

"Who is Rodney King?" Briauna Mariee, identified on Twitter as "First Queen Standing," tweeted upon seeing King's name trending.

"Is it bad that idk who Rodney King is," Twitter user Jiggy wrote, "cause I don't."

"Who is Rodney king again? I forgot," Bougie Bre asked, adding: "#serioustweet."

"Same thing I wanna know," the user Carolina Girl tweeted.

"I'm not gone lie y'all," @isingiprayilove wrote. "I don't who who ... Rodney King is."

"Wikipedia it," Bennie Cooper suggested in response.

"Don't know who Rodney King is but we share the same last name," Raymond King, a self-described "semi-pro gamer," wrote on Twitter. "R.I.P."

King's death was certainly not the first to baffle Twitter users. Television icon Dick Clark, author Ray Bradbury, Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb, disco queen Donna Summer, CBS News interviewer Mike Wallace, "Where The Wild Things Are" author Maurice Sendak, Beastie Boy rapper Adam Yauch and hairdresser Vidal Sassoon--all of whom died this year--ended up cycling through the microblogging service in a similar manner:

1. Death is reported
2. News of death spreads
3. Name begins trending on Twitter
4. Name preceded by "Who is" begins trending on Twitter
5. Backlash against ignorant users responsible for "Who is" trend ensues

"I get the feeling I'm going to be slaughtered for saying this," Rhys Kelly tweeted after Gibb's death. "But who is/was Robin Gibb?"

"Who/what on earth is the Bee Gees?" admitted cocoon-dweller Peter Botha asked his followers.

"Who's Robin Gibb and why is she trending?" Ant Wright wrote.

"We all have tendency to see culture as a monolith," Scott Lamb, managing editor of Buzzfeed--a site that's become a virtual clearinghouse for Twitter naivety--told Yahoo News recently. "And one thing Twitter does is expose how untrue that notion is."

Shockingly enough, there is an absolutely gigantic amount of people on Twitter who don't know who someone or something is. Today it's Dick Clark.

"Yes, there are those who don't know about Clark," Jen Chung wrote on LAist.com. "But to be fair, some aren't American and Clark was an American pop culture figure. And the young aren't as familiar with him, because he's only really been on TV lately as the New Year's Rockin' Eve host—and in limited segments."

Of course, it's not just death that exposes Twitter's generational divide--anniversaries of historical news events show it as well.

In April, on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, the social news-sharing site Reddit pointed to a series of tweets from people who did not know that the sinking of the Titanic was real--and not just a 1997 Hollywood blockbuster starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

"Wait!" user Sue D. wrote. "Titanic really happened? I thought it was just a movie."

"Guys, the Titanic was real!" @BabyDoe22 wrote. "#mindblown."

"I think the reason why bigger events exposes the divide is because people just want to participate in the conversation," Chung told Yahoo News. "They want to have a say, even though they might not have anything to say."

"People not knowing about the Titanic probably says more about gaps in the education system than gaps between generations," Lamb said. "But Dick Clark's death does expose that the cultural touch-points we take for granted aren't familiar everywhere."

But you don't always have to die or sink a ship to blow young Twitter users minds: Sometimes, you just have to be a former Beatle who shows up at the Grammys.

"Who the f--- is Paul McCartney and why is he on this?" Kristen Dewe wrote on Feb. 13 during the Grammys broadcast.

Sadly, she was not alone.

McCartney, who turned 70 on Tuesday, is one a set of celebrities who have been a constant presence for men and women of a certain age--just imagine what's going to happen on Twitter when Macca dies.

"People just coming of age now have a different group to work with," Lamb said. "There's something unsettling about realizing that your references are dated."

SoulDischarge
06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Eh. Ignorance of sort of minor historical events and figures (even if they are rather recent) isn't worth getting into too much of a tizzy.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Twitter compounds the stupidity.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:01 AM
MIND BLOWN

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:01 AM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/2/12/21/enhanced-buzz-9441-1329100936-21.jpg

SoulDischarge
06-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Much more unsettling.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:03 AM
she don't even care

Robin
06-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Eh. Ignorance of sort of minor historical events and figures (even if they are rather recent) isn't worth getting into too much of a tizzy.

The LA Riots happened 20 years ago. I'm really not surprised that people don't know who Rodney King is, especially if a lot of these twitter posts are from individuals born after the incident. I just see a lot of this as a generation gap.

thestripe
06-19-2012, 08:08 AM
No it’s not. It's 2012 and these dumb fucks can't even click on the google search button before flooding Twitter with "look at me" bullshit.

xuclarockerx
06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
while I agree with the general sentiment of the OP, i don't think kids using twitter think of it as 'look at me!' so much as a genuine communication tool.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/6/15/12/enhanced-buzz-15710-1339777680-7.jpg

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
The LA Riots happened 20 years ago. I'm really not surprised that people don't know who Rodney King is, especially if a lot of these twitter posts are from individuals born after the incident. I just see a lot of this as a generation gap.

The riots were a pretty important socially-relevant historic event. It's like saying not knowing about the Kent State shootings is a 'generation gap' thing.

CrimesceneCookie
06-19-2012, 08:14 AM
You mean to tell me people say and do dumb things when they're 16?

OH NOES THE FUTURE IS RUINED

casey
06-19-2012, 08:16 AM
The riots were a pretty important socially-relevant historic event. It's like saying not knowing about the Kent State shootings is a 'generation gap' thing.

I didn't know about the Kent State shootings until I was in high school. :/

sonofhal
06-19-2012, 08:21 AM
I think kids think of all social media as "Look at me!" as well as a fair few adults.

Robin
06-19-2012, 08:22 AM

I don't recall ever learning about the riots growing up in the public school system (in CT). If I didn't read and watch a lot of news, I probably would not have known about it until I moved to CA.

SoulDischarge
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
On my list of things to feel outrage or dismay about, a bunch of teenagers not knowing who someone whose primary claim to fame is getting beaten by the police is is pretty close to the bottom.

CrimesceneCookie
06-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Let's make a thread about it so everyone can see how superior I am to those stupid kids.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't need to make a thread to prove my superiority. Also, it's cute how you've started following me around. I'll probably be in the Bad Mood thread in a bit if you want to attempt to troll me in there.

nathanfairchild
06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
while I agree with the general sentiment of the OP, i don't think kids using twitter think of it as 'look at me!' so much as a genuine communication tool.

People that know how to use twitter know how to use google. A quick search will provide you with the latest story from whatever media outlet is reporting, and most likely there will be some back story to the history of said dead person. Also, using twitter is different from hearing someone died on tv and just saying "who was ____?" You have to go through the same amount of effort to tweet as you do to search something on google.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 08:33 AM
On my list of things to feel outrage or dismay about, a bunch of teenagers not knowing who someone whose primary claim to fame is getting beaten by the police is is pretty close to the bottom.

This is just TODAY's dismay.

Hannahrain
06-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I think compulsory schools are typically a little unsure of how to teach recent history in a politically neutral way. I'm not surprised.

mountmccabe
06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
People that know how to use twitter know how to use google. A quick search will provide you with the latest story from whatever media outlet is reporting, and most likely there will be some back story to the history of said dead person. Also, using twitter is different from hearing someone died on tv and just saying "who was ____?" You have to go through the same amount of effort to tweet as you do to search something on google.

We should get rid of all the threads here along the lines of "Tell me about the FYF 2012 lineup" because, shit, wtf can't people just Google the bands.

thestripe
06-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Let's defend stupid tweets.

We should get rid of google and and all informative threads and just tweet.

mountmccabe
06-19-2012, 08:58 AM
In case its not clear I'm being sarcastic. "Who is Rodney King?" and "Who is Rodney king again? I forgot" are people asking their friends/followers/etc for information. And it's likely that they got reasonably quick responses that were more or less personalized to their interests.

I find those tweets far less alarming than something like "I don't know who Rodney King was and I don't care" would have been.

mountmccabe
06-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Let's defend stupid tweets.

We should get rid of google and and all informative threads and just tweet.

Tweets from ignorance is one thing; this is just plain idiotic.

Sometimes information transfers better in the form of a conversation.

Tubesock Shakur
06-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Interweb burning bonfire/pool pizza party?

nathanfairchild
06-19-2012, 09:02 AM

in a lot of cases this may be true, but i have a feeling the conversation between a bunch of teenagers on, "who was rodney king" is rather shallow.

thestripe
06-19-2012, 09:06 AM

I agree, John. But many of those tweets in op were not intended to start or add to conversation. Just say'n.

PlayaDelWes
06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
People that know how to use twitter know how to use google. A quick search will provide you with the latest story from whatever media outlet is reporting, and most likely there will be some back story to the history of said dead person. Also, using twitter is different from hearing someone died on tv and just saying "who was ____?" You have to go through the same amount of effort to tweet as you do to search something on google.This is like saying that if you know how to talk, you know how to listen. Sorry, but the people who tweet volumes of empty text are more interested in yapping their lids off than they are about knowing or learning anything new themselves. What? Who? Huh? Ya? Twitter is to talkers as google is to listeners.

What I don’t understand is why anyone would actively go out and search twitter for the bottom of the barrel and report back on it when there is actually funny, informative, and useful tweets out there.

mountmccabe
06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Twitter being shallow doesn't matter. It's quick. If I had enough followers that I'd get multiple responses within minutes I'd probably use it more, too.

FirstQueen Standing♕ ‏@Briauna******
Who is Rodney King? 1:53 pm

Nucky Thompson ‏@LIFEINJAY*****
@BriaunaMariee a guy that in 1992 the LAPD beat half to death and someone videotaped it and it cause riots in LA for days 1:54 pm

Zariaaaa! ‏@ENDless_Dr*****
@briaunamariee he was beaten back in da 90's by the police! 1:56 pm

Those responses were enough for the original asker - and anyone else wondering about the topic - to decide how much it mattered to them.

Sure, reading the first couple lines of the Wikipedia page could've gotten you the same information but who cares? Why is that better? I am not following these kids; I don't care what they tweet.

SoulDischarge
06-19-2012, 09:30 AM
All I'm saying is that our scorn deserves more prestigious (or at least more local) targets. Our valuable valuable scorn.

thestripe
06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Those responses were enough for the original asker - and anyone else wondering about the topic - to decide how much it mattered to them.I am not following these kids; I don't care what they tweet.

And could possibly create further conversation. Ok. But I better not see you tell anyone to use the search function on this board :)

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Again, this is just my scorn for today. The scornabilities are endless.

I don't have anything against twitter... teenagers have always been stupid; twitter just magnifies it amundo.

nyarlathotoats
06-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I think kids think of all social media as "Look at me!" as well as a fair few adults.

Truer words have never been spoken, hence the facebook annoying status thread.

Mugwog
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
It's really amazing that we all have this technology at our finger tips and the best we can do is reddit.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
In case its not clear I'm being sarcastic. "Who is Rodney King?" and "Who is Rodney king again? I forgot" are people asking their friends/followers/etc for information. And it's likely that they got reasonably quick responses that were more or less personalized to their interests.

Yes, this is something that gets lost when these sorts of tweets are gathered and displayed together out of context. Twitter is an inter-personal communication tool that is basically the same thing as a multi-person texting tool for a lot of people.

santasutt
06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
My 15 and 17 year olds had no idea who Rodney King was and it made for an enjoyable teaching moment the other day.

These are becoming rarer as my wife and I fade into irrelevance in our teenagers' lives.

TomAz
06-19-2012, 11:08 AM

No, it's more like not knowing who Alison Krause was. (not the singer).

Starraven
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
This is like saying that if you know how to talk, you know how to listen. Sorry, but the people who tweet volumes of empty text are more interested in yapping their lids off than they are about knowing or learning anything new themselves. What? Who? Huh? Ya? Twitter is to talkers as google is to listeners.

QT3yH5GMwXw

Alchemy
06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
To be honest, I don't really feel like I know about Rodney King or Kent State Shootings. My memory just has some tags on them, like so:

Rodney King: Race Riots -- Los Angeles

Kent State Shootings: Protesting Hippies -- National Guard

Actually, now I'm wondering if I'm confusing the Kent State Shootings with some other campus shooting. Am I? Further more, if you ask me about the Race Riots, this is what my memory tells me:

Race Riots: Rodney King -- Los Angeles

If you asked me what the resultes of the Race Riots and the Kent State Shootings were, I wouldn't know what the right answer is. Did the Race Riots lead to the formation of the Black Panthers? All I ever learned in school was that these things happened.

EDIT: See, I just looked this noise up, and I didn't even realize how recent the Race Riots were. I thought that was from the 60s. Now I can do this:

Race Riots: Rodney King -- Los Angeles -- the 90s

Somewhat Damaged
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
It's fine to not know something, but to parade your ignorance in so public a medium instead of doing any legwork to educate yourself on the subject is what I think Jen was getting at in her initial post. At least that's what would perturb me about shit like that. I think it just kind of speaks to the sense of entitlement that's become a hallmark of American society. (Been prevalent for a long time, so it's not unique to this newest generation.)

stuporfly
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
My 15 and 17 year olds had no idea who Rodney King was and it made for an enjoyable teaching moment the other day.

Batons-and-tasers enjoyable, or did you just use words?

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
It's fine to not know something, but to parade your ignorance in so public a medium instead of doing any legwork to educate yourself on the subject is what I think Jen was getting at in her initial post. At least that's what would perturb me about shit like that. I think it just kind of speaks to the sense of entitlement that's become a hallmark of American society. (Been prevalent for a long time, so it's not unique to this newest generation.)

EXACTLY.

And to be honest, I was way more boggled by the "Wait, the Titanic really happened? #mindblown" tweet than anything else.

MINDBLOWN

Somewhat Damaged
06-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I think the "Who the fuck is Paul McCartney and why is he on the Grammys?" was the worst, because it illustrates the anger so many stupid people have over things they're unaware of. Instead of trying to learn about a subject that gives them difficulty, they get pissed off about it.

xuclarockerx
06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
EXACTLY.

And to be honest, I was way more boggled by the "Wait, the Titanic really happened? #mindblown" tweet than anything else.

MINDBLOWN

Is it possible that such an outrageous statement like that could have been made in jest?

amyzzz
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I remember not knowing who Paul McCartney was when he sang that duet with Michael Jackson on the Thriller album, but then again, I was 10 and I didn't have access to Twitter, so I couldn't embarrass myself so publicly.

locachica73
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I am happy my daughter knew who Rodney King was. I am pretty sure she only knew from watching him on celebrity rehab though.

I am rather oblivious as to what goes on in the world around me, watching the news makes me want to sell on my shit and live in a cave, so I can understand people not knowing about some news story from 20 years ago.

captncrzy
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMgH_BhsfLU

Asshole example 1. Teenage bullies making an old lady cry.

Asshole example 2.We were all assholes on the bus at one point or another but WE WEREN'T STUPID ENOUGH TO RECORD IT AND PUT IT ON FACEBOOK BECAUSE WE THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY AND THAT EVERYONE SHOULD LOOK AT US AND PAT US ON THE BACKS FOR OUR ASSHOLERY.

xuclarockerx
06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm sure those kids are apologizing like hell now, but I'd like to pick their brain to see how they really feel about all this.

SepaGroove
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
That's so fucked up. I messed with kids on the bus when I was young, but never a fucking old lady. Unbelievable.

Robin
06-21-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm sure those kids are apologizing like hell now, but I'd like to pick their brain to see how they really feel about all this.

Probably more jealous than sorry, now.
Someone saw the video and set up a fund raiser so the monitor can take a vacation. It has raised over $200,000.

nathanfairchild
06-21-2012, 09:17 AM
the fallout from all this has been amazing though. $215,000 raised in one day to help her retire.

Robin
06-21-2012, 09:29 AM
the fallout from all this has been amazing though. $215,000 raised in one day to help her retire.

Holy crap! It was at $207K when I posted my last message. Now it's almost at $225K.
Good for her.

captncrzy
06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
I love that so much money came in to help her.

xuclarockerx
06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
This and The Oatmeal are generating some big buzz for IndieGoGo.

algunz
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I do not twat.

Robin
06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
The money is just pouring in for her.
I'm completely jealous because I'm having a lot of trouble raising money for the SF AIDS Walk I'm doing.

Tubesock Shakur
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
An AIDS walk? Really? 1987?

Alchemy
06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
AIDS walk!?

It's over, Robin.

The AIDS won.

Tubesock Shakur
06-21-2012, 09:58 AM
I lost 73 lbs of AIDS on my walk.

Hannahrain
06-21-2012, 10:00 AM
I do not twat.

I disagree.

marooko
06-21-2012, 10:04 AM
It may not be recorded via video, but it's recorded here nonetheless.

nyarlathotoats
06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Fuck those kids. They have issues, and they'll grow up to worthless assholes.

unit300021
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Wow if I ever pulled a stunt like that to an old lady my dad would have beaten the crap out of me like no other. That's what those kids need is a good slap from their parents. However if a parent does that now it's child abuse. That is what is wrong with kids these days, no fear of their parent's so they just do whatever they want.

guedita
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
To be honest, I don't really feel like I know about Rodney King or Kent State Shootings. My memory just has some tags on them, like so:

Rodney King: Race Riots -- Los Angeles

Kent State Shootings: Protesting Hippies -- National Guard

Actually, now I'm wondering if I'm confusing the Kent State Shootings with some other campus shooting. Am I? Further more, if you ask me about the Race Riots, this is what my memory tells me:

Race Riots: Rodney King -- Los Angeles

If you asked me what the resultes of the Race Riots and the Kent State Shootings were, I wouldn't know what the right answer is. Did the Race Riots lead to the formation of the Black Panthers? All I ever learned in school was that these things happened.

EDIT: See, I just looked this noise up, and I didn't even realize how recent the Race Riots were. I thought that was from the 60s. Now I can do this:

Race Riots: Rodney King -- Los Angeles -- the 90s

It's not as if the King inspired Race Riots in LA were the only race riots in the history of the US.

SlowMotionApocalypse
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Thats because he went by Glen

SoulDischarge
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Jesus. Maybe I should start a Kickstarter to try to get my life off the ground. I was teased a lot more brutally than that for fucking years and it's probably a good reason why I'm such a fucked up adult who can't keep his life together. GIVE ME MONEY.

xuclarockerx
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
This is possible too much money. Almost $150,000 raised since this morning alone. (Currently at $337k) I was thinking earlier if I was this lady I might feel a little uncomfortable getting all this money for something really out of my control. I suppose she can donate some of it if she wants to.

This really dwarfs The Oatmeal's saga.

guedita
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
In jr. high my friends and I wrote a fairly nasty letter to this girl (who had once been my best friend in elementary school, until she told me that we couldn't hang out any more because I didn't have the potential to be "popular"). Anyway, a lot of people disliked this girl for a myriad of reasons, and I'm not quite sure what prompted the letter writing. But we wrote cruel things. And then my best friend and I signed the letter with our full names. Which seemed like a very natural and smart thing to do when we were writing the letter during our volleyball game. Though everyone else just wrote mean things on the letter and didn't sign their name. So we got caught, naturally, and had to do community service and shit. And I remember my dad asking me why I was so stupid as to write my full name on that letter and not being able to answer him.

And when I see now that kids are not only doing mean and cruel things, which seems to be fairly standard pre-adolescent behavior unfortunately, it's similarly baffling to me that they would video tape it? Or let it be video taped? Or write things publicly on other people's facebook pages? I don't know.

SoulDischarge
06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Because kids and teenagers don't have a whole lot of foresight, which is why they inevitably do a bunch of stupid shit until they learn to think ahead a little?

guedita
06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Or their parents aren't teaching them the right lessons like my dad did. Leave no trace of your identity when perpetrating hate crimes.

Robin
06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I enjoy reading articles about people who commit crimes, then post pictures on Facebook.

http://theweek.com/article/index/227257/7-suspected-criminals-who-got-themselves-caught-via-facebook

Tubesock Shakur
06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
My new life goal is to seek out kids filming hate and to make sure im their target. Gunna be so rich.

SoulDischarge
06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
You've already got that dumpy hobo aura kids love to prey upon.

Tubesock Shakur
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes!!!! now kick me in the scrotum. Wait, zoom in, tight shot.

JustSteve
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I love that so much money came in to help her.

seriously. my wife hates stories like this so i rarely share them with her, so started out telling her how happy the ending was, haha.

TomAz
06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
AIDS Walk

This makes me weep for our future more than anything else in this thread.

amyzzz
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
My new life goal is to seek out kids filming hate and to make sure im their target. Gunna be so rich.I'm not sure a pirate is a victim the general public can be sympathetic to.

SoulDischarge
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Notice how I purposely avoided any hook jokes and Amyzzz went in for the kill. New Board Order.

Tubesock Shakur
06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
All this hate is giving me a money boner.

amyzzz
06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
I feel so ambivalent right now.

Alchemy
06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
It's not as if the King inspired Race Riots in LA were the only race riots in the history of the US.

Well, yeah. But if we were doing word association and you said, "Race Riots," I would either say "LA" or "Rodney King," just because that's all that I've encountered in the subject.

Well, that's not entirely correct. I seem to recall the Zoot Suit Riots, which was also a race riot in LA, but having nothing to do with Rodney King. But other than that, I'm afraid Race Riots is not a category of Jeopardy that I'm ready for.

TheWatcher
06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
I think anybody who lived in the LA area and was old enough to remember anything about that year would know who Rodney King was. I remember where I was... everything closed when the riots started: the malls, the stores, everything. We were at the city recreation center and they sent everyone home. There were armed riot police on the roofs. It was on all the news stations. 24/7 coverage on some I believe. Then there was that stupid curfew. Our city has police who managed to keep out the rioters who tried to come here. But, we had to be inside by 7pm I think.

But, for anyone younger than about 25, or anyone fairly young who did not live in California, it might be understandable to not know.

I heard about the Kent State shootings when they happened, and I was only 10.

Alchemy
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I was five years old and in El Paso, TX (for the Rodney King Riots). I don't remember it at all.

I think the first historical event that happened when my brain was recording stuff was the O. J. Simpson low-speed chase. I remember watching that on TV.

amyzzz
06-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I remember John Lennon being shot. I was 7. Not that you asked.

Alchemy
06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't remember the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster, even though I was 16 years old. I'm pretty sure I thought that people were just looking back at the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster when it happened, until much later, when I realized that it was a new disaster.

amyzzz
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Oh I remember the Challenger one. The teachers at my junior high school class told us while we were in school. Sad.

marooko
06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Who is John....Who was John Lennon?

Alchemy
06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
He was president of the USSR.

amyzzz
06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I had no idea who he was when I was 7. I just remember all the news about his death.

SoulDischarge
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
One of the lady astronauts (an important distinction to make) in the Challenger was from Akron, so that's pretty well known around here. Although I doubt a lot of kids in high school now would even know it. Akron kids are a special kind of ignorant.

TomAz
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Who is John....Who was John Lennon?

http://www.marx-brothers.org/whyaduck/cards/all-hail.jpg

getbetter
06-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Who's Buckaroo Banzai???

Mugwog
06-21-2012, 07:14 PM
He was president of the USSR.

That was JFK u idiot

Alchemy
06-21-2012, 08:35 PM
I thought JFK was a type of airplane.

sonofhal
06-22-2012, 04:36 AM
http://videogum.com/543091/breaking-j-r-r-tolkein-ripped-off-harry-potter/everyones-a-critic/

Overall, I like Lord of the Rings. However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips off Harry Potter in many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as “Dark Lord” just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of “The Two Towers” that reminds one of Aragog from Chamber of Secrets. I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists’ birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out with The Hobbit in December. This would be fine, but why didn’t he just write this book first to begin with? I still like Lord of the Rings, though–don’t get me wrong–but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements from Harry Potter. I’ll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he’s featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that.

nathanfairchild
06-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Oh come on, that can't be real.

captncrzy
06-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I went to Junior High with the nephew of Evan Mecham (our governer at the time). The kid was a total douchebag. He was also deaf (which really wasn't the issue..the issue was that he was a douchebag and basically told the teachers that they had to do whatever he said because his uncle was the governer or former governer or whatever).

Right around that time, Evan Mecham was recalled and an impeachment trial was held; he was conviced in his impeachment trial of charges of the obstruction of justice and the misuse of government funds. At the spring dance that year, Evan Mecham's nephew was voted the prince of the spring dance. When he got up on stage, everyone started chanting "Recall! Recall!"

He couldn't hear us though, so it was ok.

Miroir Noir
06-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Evan Mecham was the worst.

amyzzz
06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
What a great story, Jen. Ugh, I hated Mecham. I remember people in my church group complaining about how horrible Mecham was because of the whole MLK day debacle, and I had to keep quiet because my parents were against having an MLK day (they thought we should have a Civil Rights Day instead because MLK was a philanderer). Soon after I began to diverge from my Republican upbringing.

captncrzy
06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
........In the video, four students taunted Klein with a tirade of verbal insults and physical ridicule that included one comment from a boy who said Klein does not have family because “they all killed themselves because they didn’t want to be near you.”

Klein said her son committed suicide 10 years ago.

The video has sparked disbelief among public viewers and anger targeted at the four students, noted Capt. Steve Chatterton of the Greece, N.Y., Police Department. “Their families have been threatened. Their brothers and sisters have been threatened,” he said at a press conference Thursday.

The same video has also sparked mass compassion for Klein – much of it financial.

Thousands of strangers have logged on to Indiegogo.com, a website devoted to raising money for various causes, and donated more than $500,000 to a campaign called “Let’s Give Karen – The bus monitor – H Klein A Vacation!”

“Never have we seen a campaign raise this much money this quickly in less than 36 hours,” Indiegogo.com CEO Slava Rubin told NBC News.

Southwest Airlines has offered to fly Klein and nine other people to Disneyland for free. She's a grandmother of eight.

Klein said she doesn’t want to see those boys expelled but would like to see them banned from riding the school bus for at least a year and not allowed to participate in team sports.

At a press conference Thursday, school officials said they are still investigating the incident, but promised strong disciplinary action.

That's fucked up.

Those kids should be disciplined under whatever bullying guidelines they've already established. No more, no less.

In other news, word has it that the kids are getting death threats. 'Merica

xuclarockerx
06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I heard 4chan/Anon are responsible for some of the threats. Ironic considering those people were probably doing the same thing at that age.

Robin
06-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Gaming is serious business.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Fake-shooting-911-call-leads-to-huge-police-response-159902305.html

16-year-old Jacob was playing “Minecraft” online with other players around the world. Jacob is an administrator for the group. When one of the player put some mean-spirited comments in the chat section, Jacob kicked him off.

Jacob said the player then threatened him over the headset.

"He was like, 'Yo dude. You kicked me off line. I'm going to swat your house,’" said Jacob.

He didn't take the call too seriously, but police say the player made good on the threat. A few hours later, Jacob saw a deputy with a rifle heading into his backyard.

locachica73
06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
I read a story about a grown 30+ year old man tracking down a teenager that was talking shit over a online video game to kick his ass or something. I can't remember exact details but it's not just children that are fucked up.

Somewhat Damaged
06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I went to Junior High with the nephew of Evan Mecham (our governer at the time). The kid was a total douchebag. He was also deaf (which really wasn't the issue..the issue was that he was a douchebag and basically told the teachers that they had to do whatever he said because his uncle was the governer or former governer or whatever).

Right around that time, Evan Mecham was recalled and an impeachment trial was held; he was conviced in his impeachment trial of charges of the obstruction of justice and the misuse of government funds. At the spring dance that year, Evan Mecham's nephew was voted the prince of the spring dance. When he got up on stage, everyone started chanting "Recall! Recall!"

He couldn't hear us though, so it was ok.

Governor.

mountmccabe
06-22-2012, 11:32 AM
I Weep for the Past.

Newro7ic
06-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh I remember the Challenger one. The teachers at my junior high school class told us while we were in school. Sad.

We were watching it live in my first grade class.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I heard 4chan/Anon are responsible for some of the threats. Ironic considering those people were probably doing the same thing at that age.

You realize you're talking very broadly about a loose community of something like tens of thousands of people?

xuclarockerx
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Yes I realize I'm making a sweeping generalization, welcome to the Internet.

Miroir Noir
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Did the bus monitor deserve 2 cry? Should society celebrate tween creativity & IRL bullying? (http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2012/06/did-bus-monitor-deserve-2-cry-should-society-celebrate-tween-creativity-irl-bullying.html)

Tubesock Shakur
06-22-2012, 01:47 PM
What is the point of that blog?

xuclarockerx
06-22-2012, 01:49 PM
2 ask the important questionz

Tubesock Shakur
06-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Is it ironic fallacies? I dont get "it".