PDA

View Full Version : Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

gaypalmsprings
06-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Will tax push chase away shows?

12:12 AM, Jun. 19, 2012
Written by Erica Felci, The Desert Sun

Council members fear peer's initiative spurring promoter to rethink land buy

Goldenvoice is rethinking its plans to buy 280 acres in Indio — including the Eldorado Polo Club — amid talk that city residents could implement a tax on the music festival tickets.

Negotiations over the purchase, unveiled in March, haven't been scrapped.

But two City Council members familiar with the negotiations said Monday that the Los Angeles- based promoter that puts on the wildly successful Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals is now hesitant to make such a financial commitment in the desert.

A big part for the reservations, the council members said, is Indio Councilman Sam Torres' effort to implement a 6 percent ticket tax on future Goldenvoice productions.

“It's falling apart,” Indio Glenn Miller, who is in regular contact with both the music promoter and land owners, said of the property deal.

“Once they purchase property, they're here to stay. Their business isn't polo. Their business is entertainment. I'm sure (the tax proposal) is weighing very heavily on them.”

Goldenvoice's plans to purchase land in Indio was seen as a way to ensure the Coachella Music and Arts Festival, launched in 1999, would remain here indefinitely.

If the deal falls through, Miller and Mayor Pro Tem Elaine Holmes said they're concerned it opens the door for another community to try and secure the popular concerts for a different venue.

“There's competition for this,” Holmes said. “Other venues are very eager to support this concert. We always want to be aware this could be a possibility.”

Goldenvoice Vice President Skip Paige declined to discuss the land negotiations Monday.

“I'm not going to comment on any speculation,” Paige said. “It's a private matter.”

Paul Tollett, Goldenvoice president and co-founder of Coachella, has always insisted the desert atmosphere is an integral part of the festival's success.

“Once you hit the windmills, the festival starts,” Tollett has previously told The Desert Sun.

The idea of taxing tickets to the multi-day, multi-stage music festivals — which draw 50,000 to 75,000 people a weekend — has been quietly discussed for some time.

But it really took off in late May, when Torres began championing a plan that would add about $18 to every concert ticket.

Torres' plan hasn't gotten any support from his council colleagues, so Torres is now trying to get enough resident signatures so he can put it on the November ballot.

If approved, Torres believes it could generate about $4 million for the city — a notable increase from the $830,000 that the city currently makes off of the ticket sales and camping sites.

Torres downplayed the idea of Goldenvoice leaving the desert as “saber rattling.”

“Obviously, that's a corporate decision for them. They're going to go to where they can make the most money,” he said. “I hate to think it's a punishment to the city of Indio because we're asking the question.”

It's not publicly known how long Goldenvoice is contractually obligated to stay in the desert.

The promoter has a long-term lease with the Empire Polo Grounds, but the terms have never been disclosed.

Last year, Indio officials negotiated a two-year contract that allowed the promoters to expand Coachella to two consecutive weekends.

The deal ends after the 2013 concerts, but Miller and Holmes hope the city can ink at least a 10-year deal after that and further solidify their partnership.

“We're hoping we can work with them to come up with a positive solution,” Miller said. “We will be a willing partner.”

Whether Goldenvoice will move forward with such a commitment if the land purchase falls through is the big unknown.

But Indio City Manager Dan Martinez said he doesn't think the property purchase is a make-or-break part of the producer's commitment to the desert.

“The dialogue we're having with Goldenvoice is very positive,” Martinez said of the early talks for a long-term deal.

“They've been here a decade and a half almost without buying it. They don't have to buy it in order to remain here for another decade.”

The proposed land purchase includes lots between Avenues 50 and 52 and Monroe and Madison.

Goldenvoice also consolidated the 200-acre Eldorado Polo Club, which sits on property owned by 19 individuals, with land from Triangle Bear Farms, Fish Creek and land owned by Glen Holden, former U.S. ambassador to Jamaica.

The land has been used for camping sites and parking during the April concerts.

The actual stages are set up on the neighboring 175-acre Empire Polo Club.

It was not disclosed how much Goldenvoice was paying for the land, which would provide opportunities for smaller concerts or wine and jazz festivals.

Officials did say Eldorado club's members still will be allowed to have equestrian events on the property during the polo season, from January to March.

Eldorado general manager Jan Hart said she was not aware of any snags in sale negotiations.

A message left for the property owners wasn't returned Monday.

“At the end of the day, Goldenvoice didn't feel like they had the total support for their presence here in Indio,” said Holmes, who has had contact with Goldenvoice's top officials.

“There was enough of an issue made (with the tax plan) that Goldenvoice wasn't comfortable with the level of commitment. It's certainly not the way I feel about it.

“Having Goldenvoice in our city, it's a tremendous benefit to Indio and the Coachella Valley. I'm very sorry that this potential purchase is in jeopardy.”

Next year's Coachella concerts will again be over two consecutive weekends in April. The first batch of passes sold out in two hours, but additional tickets are expected to go on sale after the lineup is announced.

Stagecoach: California's Country Music Festival is traditionally the following weekend.

Torres said he didn't think the tax idea would be a breaking point in the land deal since it's a tax on concert-goers and not the corporation itself.

He said he's reached out to Goldenvoice several times in recent months to no avail.

“It's not meant to be a punitive thing against Goldenvoice. We're not dipping into Goldenvoice's pocket,” Torres said.

“This is not greed. This is not anything against them. It's survival for the city of Indio.”

thestripe
06-19-2012, 06:19 AM
“This is not greed. This is not anything against them. It's survival for the city of Indio.”

Give me a fucking break.

mmsk123
06-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't understand how they can be so short-sighted. What's the economic impact of thousands of people coming to the city for three consecutive weekends and spending money on everything? Surely it's more than $4 million.

skavenbrew
06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Prick

SoulDischarge
06-19-2012, 07:20 AM
It's a new age of Coachella anyway. Move it to a bigger venue that will let it run late into the night.

captncrzy
06-19-2012, 07:32 AM
"Survival of the city of Indio". Most laughable thing I'll read today. Doesn't this idiot realize that the $830,000 the city gets is only what is being paid directly to the city? Do they not realize the millions upon millions of dollars the local businesses rake in each year because of this festival--and how much they stand to lose if they decide to move it elsewhere?

fatbastard
06-19-2012, 07:48 AM
We're not dipping into Goldenvoice's pocket?

nyarlathotoats
06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Dear Mr. Sam Torres:

Fuck you, and here's why:
Any additional money that I have goes toward planning/usage of this trip to the festival; I would rather not be taxed, than give up more of my cash. It seems to me that somehow, someway, this increase in tax will benefit you, more than anyone else that you "claim" to represent. This is just like the proposed tax increase on the homeowners that decide to earn extra income by kindly renting out there place to individuals for the weekend.
Kindly choke on a donkey dick.
Thank you in advance & smooches,

Nyarl.

Miroir Noir
06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
In a normal world, state and local governments offer tax breaks to large-scale events and productions that pump money into the local economy (which is, itself, taxed).

This all reminds me of The Simpsons where Mayor Quimby invents all sorts of ludicrous taxes to bleed out the Hollywood producers shooting a movie in Springfield. "Uh, there's a $1000 leaving town tax!"

Mugwog
06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Anyone who has been to Coachella for the last 10 years have seen that town evolve from a dirt clump with a few gated communities to South Orange County. They have a Costco, SAMs club and Walmart next door to each other for fucks sake.

How about they just leave it alone for once?

Also interesting how 2013 could be end of weekend 2 if it doesn't go well...

ivankay
06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
^Serious-ly. i love the Polo Fields and would be terribly saddened if Coachella was moved, but year after year of hearing about these political shake downs makes me wish GV would say "fuck off" and let them go back to the way they were before the festival.

H_is_O
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Nothings going to happen. The end.

SepaGroove
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I've seen it develop drastically and I haven't been going for 10 years. My first year was 2008.

These people should be appreciative. Sure they have to deal with some bullshit for a month out of the year, but look at how much the festivals contribute to the local economy.

Bumblebee
06-19-2012, 11:35 AM
It's a new age of Coachella anyway. Move it to a bigger venue that will let it run late into the night.

Does such a place exist in the valley?

JustSteve
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
it's like the los angeles angels of anaheim.

we could have the coachella valley music and arts festival of bakersfield.

Mugwog
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Bakersfield = MethChella

menikmati
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
That is the biggest horse shit statement I've ever read.

ElBlueblazer
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Fuck it! Just move it to the new Gv owned field in Irvine.

cheesehead004
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM

what field did they buy?

algunz
06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Have they made an official windmill t-shirt?

algunz
06-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Coachella would die once it passed the windmills.

ArcadeParade
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
complete moron

http://www.indio.org/Modules/ShowImage.aspx?imageid=1451

AscencionTorres@yahoo.com

theresalwaysone
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Doesn't he know that the only true and correct way for the city to balance it's budget is to slash spending and get it's deficit under control? You don't want to push out the job creators with tax increases. Everyone knows that.

If anything, Ascencion should be trying to give tax breaks to Goldenvoice so they will buy the land.

seitron
06-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Any magic that might be lost by leaving the polo fields wouldn't compare at all to the magic of a bigger one weekend only festival at their bigger Great Park site. I say ditch the polo fields

JustSteve
06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Irvine would never allow a fest the size of Coachella. Paul has also mentioned that getting away from the big city is a big part of Coachella.

seitron
06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Irvine would never allow a fest the size of Coachella. Paul has also mentioned that getting away from the big city is a big part of Coachella.

Someone posted an article on these forums (possibly more than one article) discussing how Goldenvoice was purchasing the Great Park in Irvine for the specific purpose of holding music festivals, and how it has a capacity much larger than Coachella.

Miroir Noir
06-19-2012, 09:51 PM
They're not going to move the festival to a new location.

wstsidela
06-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Any magic that might be lost by leaving the polo fields wouldn't compare at all to the magic of a bigger one weekend only festival at their bigger Great Park site. I say ditch the polo fields

Do you move your lips when you read, dummy?

H_is_O
06-20-2012, 06:10 AM

STFU

ADGZ662
06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
complete moron

He used to work for our company as a sub contractor. He loves attending the festival and would praise it all the time saying how much he loved it(he started going in '07). Now hes a city council man and he wants to tax concert goers, c'mon Sam calmate or im going to have a lil sit down with you chief!

Nothing will happen so just calm down people

JustSteve
06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Someone posted an article on these forums (possibly more than one article) discussing how Goldenvoice was purchasing the Great Park in Irvine for the specific purpose of holding music festivals, and how it has a capacity much larger than Coachella.

no, goldenvoice is in negotiations to buy land surrounding the polo field out in indio. the irvine company owns irvine and rules with an iron fist. they will hold smaller scale shows at the park in irvine, no way a 3 day festival of coachella's magnitude will ever go down there.

Riggins33
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
They would never move Coachella out of the Coachella Valley, anyone who thinks they would is a complete moron.

xuclarockerx
06-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Funny, I thought with all those headlines in April/whenever that the sale had actually gone through already.

localdesertrat
06-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes!!! BOO THIS MAN!!!

18 dollars a ticket? to go to a city that gets tons

June 20th 2012 Desert Sun:
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120620/NEWS01/120620012/Indio-council-mull-bed-tax-increase-charge-concert-campers?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|Frontpage

cool this just in:
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120620/LIFESTYLES01/120620014/-1/7daysarchives/Indio-leaders-reject-tax-CoachellaFest-campers

they rejected the hotel tax increase

Being a local who understands the bullshit politics of having to grow up with local city governments (how fucking long did it take you tight wads to put in the Palm Springs skate park??) I can assure you this is nothing NEW in the bullshit ways of the Indio city managers and council. Showing the TRUE colors of what Indio is all about instead of being happy with what it has.

I'm sitting here in my parents back yard in Plam Springs where I grew up reading the friggin Desperate Scum when I see this cover story. I almost shat myself!

As if Palm Springs, DHS, Cat City , La Quinta and other local governments aren't greedy enough-here comes along Mr. Torres.

Please:
On the first and third Wednesday of each month, City Council meets at 5:00 p.m. for ceremonial items, consent calendar and administrative items and at 6:00 p.m. for noticed public hearings. The open sessions are held at the Council Chamber, 150 Civic Center Mall, Indio, CA 92201.

If you wish to contact Council please send correspondence to
Indio City Hall
100 Civic Center Mall
Indio, CA 92201
Phone: (760) 391-4015
Fax: (760) 391-4008

*In the article he tries to compare $850.000 to $4,000,000 and what this mirror user isn't adding in is ALL the over time, TAX from OTHER BUSINESSES in Indio during the event.

Look kids, we have hotel city tax ok? before Coachella no one even stayed Indio in April at the hotels and they were empty. Now every year from hotel tax alone the city of Indio makes a killing. Add in all the other local business tax (from BevMo alone) and they're spoiled.

Riggins33
06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I just read that on mydesert ^ good for them....the Indio mayor is also very pro Coachella.

seitron
06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
no, goldenvoice is in negotiations to buy land surrounding the polo field out in indio. the irvine company owns irvine and rules with an iron fist. they will hold smaller scale shows at the park in irvine, no way a 3 day festival of coachella's magnitude will ever go down there.

I'm referring to these
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/19/entertainment/la-et-0508-goldenvoice-festival-20120519
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2011/03/irvine_great_park_might_get_ow.php
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?46412-New-Goldenvoice-Festival-at-Great-Park-in-Irvine-CA

And for the record I don't think Coachella is leaving anytime soon.

Sushov23
06-21-2012, 01:03 AM
I laugh at people who believe this valley has gotten as big as it has because of the festival. Sure the money coming in helps, that is not debatable. The thing is, and I've said it before, the city doesn't need the festival to survive. Another thing most people don't realize is that Indio doesn't see a lot of the money coming In during coachella. The money coming in goes mostly to LQ, palm desert, indian wells, and palm springs. Which is where 95 percent of the hotels reside. It is bullshit was this guy is saying, but nothing will come of it, no need to worry.

concertgoer
06-21-2012, 04:15 AM
Torrres is a moron and kudos to the rest of the city council for voting against the hotel tax increase.

Grandma
06-21-2012, 06:44 AM
complete moron

...starring Fred Ward as John Redcorn

localdesertrat
06-21-2012, 08:09 AM
The Coachella Valley got famous because of Palm Springs in the 40's,50's,60's and beyond as a resort place for Hollywood stars to hang and spring breakers to PARTY.

NOT BECAUSE OF COACHELLA

Sam Torres is a BUSINESS MAN WITH HANDS IN MANY POCKETS

ALL this guy wants is more cream from the top of the milk source, you're going to tell me if Coachella leaves Indio they will "Survive just fine"

On what? Tamale festival tax and the cheesey ass County Fair that's looked the friggin same since 1980?

He is biting the hand that feeds him..
*yeah poor Indio......the cops don't make enough overtime!! BOOOO HOOO

If you wish to contact Council please send correspondence to
Indio City Hall
100 Civic Center Mall
Indio, CA 92201
Phone: (760) 391-4015
Fax: (760) 391-4008

Riggins33
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
The Coachella Valley got famous because of Palm Springs in the 40's,50's,60's and beyond as a resort place for Hollywood stars to hang and spring breakers to PARTY.

NOT BECAUSE OF COACHELLA

I grew up in the desert too, It used to be a Hollywood hangout, not anymore not at all....Sunny Bono killed Palm Springs spring break...Coachella is by far the biggest thing happening in Coachella, but they don't need it to survive.

Riggins33
06-21-2012, 09:25 AM
I also hate it when people call themselves " Desert rats" or the valley the dirt.

greghead
06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
^So interesting!

localdesertrat
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
yes it will be fine...the Indio swap meet will be the BIG highlight again!

All Coachella Festivals except the year the Pixes played because 107 is way too hot for a festival.

-but if you REALLY know anything about the Coachella Valley then you would know that the Date festival was the biggest thing that happened there PERIOD.(Tamale Festival second)

I have always loved Indio and I want it to do well, I just think 18.00 a ticket per weekend just to go to Indio is a bit much..maybe half that.

So many people in the desert including myself work the Festival in A/V production areas and it would be a shame to move something so special to us locals. So much work is generated for everyone during the festivals. From parking to stores to food and restaurants. All of them pay taxes that the city would not get if the festival were moved.

I just see this guy as being greedy and if you read the article from June 19th 2012 in the Desert Sun the last thing he does is defend himself as being greedy.

Indio gets as much media coverage now as Palm Springs so you would think they would be happy.

I'm happy for Indio, when I was young I use to think it was shit hole and place where shotguns were used in a regular basis at parties we went to out there.

I mean if Indio said, "we want to add a 6 dollar tax to each pass to go to the homeless shelter" I would be happier than anyone.

But that is not what they are saying here so read the article.

*the Indio swap meet was the first place I bought a music tape, Missing Persons -Spring Sessions M as a weeee little kid

Riggins33
06-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Everything you write is so fucking interesting Greg, its a message board nothing is intersting, at least once in a while I'm incredibley funny.

Mugwog
06-21-2012, 07:12 PM
TAMALE FAIR?! I am sold. That's sounds much more delicious than Coachella.

nyarlathotoats
06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
at least once in a while I'm incredibley funny.

You think so?

Riggins33
06-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah I think by far I'm the best thing about this board.

jimmycrackcorn
06-21-2012, 08:42 PM
TAMALE FAIR?! I am sold. That's sounds much more delicious than Coachella.

Yeah it does SOUND good but they charge like $5 a tamale?!? It's prolly because somebody is tacking on a indio tax... You KNOW you need like 3 of those plus a beverage to get full

SoulDischarge
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah I think by far I'm the best thing about this board.

Board member of the year shoe-in. Let's get this man fitted for his requisite crown of thorns.

localdesertrat
06-21-2012, 09:53 PM
I know for a fact that rolling on E inside the vendor court at the Date Festival where the guy uses the vegi-matic is INSANE!

The Shamwow spokesman was pretty good too.

elChurro
06-22-2012, 06:45 AM
1% to 6%, get ready to pay up bitchez, you're footing the bill. GV doesn't give a flying fuck about you, nor does the city of Indio.

microcuts
06-22-2012, 10:09 AM
OMG... $18 extra per ticket.. that's sooo much! Rabble rabble rabble

bitch whine moan

amyzzz
06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Well, we already had a price increase this year, so that would make ANOTHER price increase next year. FUck that.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
OMG... $18 extra per ticket.. that's sooo much! Rabble rabble rabble

bitch whine moan

Maybe the cost would be deferred to ticketholders, but the point was this guy was trying to tax a company that already was being extremely helpful to the local economy and is about to make a huge local purchase which would then feed more form their pockets via property tax and extra $4 million. This wouldn't have a been a tax on US, but a tax on GV.

captncrzy
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Exactly. Stupid to punish a company that brings millions into the community by taxing them more than they already are.

Mugwog
06-22-2012, 12:16 PM
It's a recession: fuck everyone else's money

PlayaDelWes
06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
ITT: A bunch of anti-tax teabaggers

Sexecutioner
06-22-2012, 02:00 PM

I'm referring to these
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/19/entertainment/la-et-0508-goldenvoice-festival-20120519
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2011/03/irvine_great_park_might_get_ow.php
http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?46412-New-Goldenvoice-Festival-at-Great-Park-in-Irvine-CA

you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. nowhere does it say GV is buying the great park, just that they were planning to put on some shows there.

Miroir Noir
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
http://reidreport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tea-Party-hat.jpg

seitron
06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. nowhere does it say GV is buying the great park, just that they were planning to put on some shows there.

Sorry - but same difference. It doesn't really matter to us if GV owns the land or not.

greghead
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
For the basis of your argument, it actually does matter.

seitron
06-23-2012, 08:05 AM
For the basis of your argument, it actually does matter.

My argument of "They could move Coachella to the bigger Great Park in Irvine"?

Somewhat Damaged
06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
My argument of "They could move Coachella to the bigger Great Park in Irvine"?

If only there were some way for us to go back and see what you had previously written...

(emphasis mine)

Riggins33
06-23-2012, 01:19 PM
We should totally move it to Irvine, and do it in the winter.

seitron
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
If only there were some way for us to go back and see what you had previously written...

Yes, I was wrong about them owning or purchasing the park, but Goldenvoice is putting "final touches on a contract that would allow Goldenvoice, the promoter behind the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, to stage a large, multi-day music festival at the Orange County Great Park as soon as 2013." So it is a possibility that GV could theoretically move/make a new festival in Irvine. Am I seriously not allowed to have casual conversation on these boards without triple-checking my comments? I'm not writing a fucking research paper. You are totally allowed to disagree with me (in fact, I expect you to), but I think a bigger festival in Irvine would be cool. That's all I was trying to say. Leave me alone.

Riggins33
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm with this guy ^ lets move it to Irvine and have mostly Brazilian acts.

Mugwog
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Lets just bring Carnivale to the streets of Irvine. The city could use more brown nudity.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes, I was wrong about them owning or purchasing the park, but Goldenvoice is putting "final touches on a contract that would allow Goldenvoice, the promoter behind the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, to stage a large, multi-day music festival at the Orange County Great Park as soon as 2013." So it is a possibility that GV could theoretically move/make a new festival in Irvine. Am I seriously not allowed to have casual conversation on these boards without triple-checking my comments? I'm not writing a fucking research paper. You are totally allowed to disagree with me (in fact, I expect you to), but I think a bigger festival in Irvine would be cool. That's all I was trying to say. Leave me alone.

They had Warped Tour there this year. Totally sick bro

H_is_O
06-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Gnarly dude

seitron
06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, you all love Coachella because it's in bum-fuck indio, not because lineup, people, art, and atmosphere. If it was anywhere else it would totally suck!!!

Sexecutioner
06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah, you all love Coachella because it's in bum-fuck indio, not because lineup, people, art, and atmosphere. If it was anywhere else it would totally suck!!!

Actually the location is a big part of it. I'm assuming you've seen the beauty of the mountains and the setting sun there...pretty hard to beat. I agree if they could take the same vibe and put it in another equally cool location with other bonuses like later set times, it might be worth it, but Irvine is not that place. If you actually read that article you'd know that Irvine is super conservative and does not want to even allow alcohol at this new fest they are planning. So tell me how a sterilized Coachella fest in lame ass orange county would be better than what it currently is?

I'm not trying to nit pick you by the way, just pointing out that your argument sucks.

seitron
06-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I agree the mountains are sick, but I think an upgrade in size would help Coachella, particularly with this ticket purchase fuckfest we have to go through now every year. EDC fit over >100k people at the speedway and it didn't feel more crowded than Coachella was. I value fitting more people into Coachella and reducing the ticket headaches over the mountains.

It's not like I'm saying move it to Irvine because Irvine is so awesome. Everyone on these boards has been bitching about the fact that tickets sell out in minutes - this is a potential solution to that problem. I realize this opinion is in the minority.

amyzzz
06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
More people at the fest and 3 hours further away from me? No thanks.

xuclarockerx
06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Atmosphere is a huge draw to Coachella for me. Irvine is the death knell to any kind of "atmosphere", and I'm someone who generally "likes" Orange County.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
06-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Nobody wants the capacity to be bigger. That's stupid.

Ardentbiscuit
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Sam Torres should stand out front of Coachella with a giant tip jar and everyone can give him money when they go into Coachella. What he does with it isn't our problem.

skavenbrew
06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Don't think Irvine would work.... parking/camping? That just sounds like a nightmare.

H_is_O
06-27-2012, 07:52 AM
couldnt they just have a different music festival in irvine?

SepaGroove
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
couldnt they just have a different music festival in irvine?

YOU
are a different music festival in Irvine!

H_is_O
06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT WAY

SepaGroove
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT WAY

http://deansomerset.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/keanu-mind-blown.jpg