PDA

View Full Version : Stones - Glastonbury 2013 and a handful of shows in UK & USA

Dede' Arneaux
06-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Forgive me if already posted ...Had a look but couldn't find anything re this

Rolling Stones plan farewell gig at Glastonbury festival

Jun 17 2012 By Dean Piper

The Rolling Stones together ahead of 50-years tour

THE Rolling Stones are ready to bow out in spectacular style – with a farewell gig at Glastonbury next year.

The band, whose four members have a combined age of 272, are set to play the Sunday night headline slot on the Pyramid stage after talks with festival organisers Michael and Emily Eavis.

It will be their first and only performance at the famous Somerset event which attracts 175,000 fans.

Sources close to the band indicate the appearance is expected to be the final date in a “handful” of shows in Britain and America in 2013 – which they see as their true 50th anniversary – before they finally retire from the live arena.

One insider said: “All four members have agreed that next year is the right time to have one final hurrah.

“Glastonbury is the most important festival on the circuit. Everybody’s incredibly excited.”

The band – whose song The Last Time hit No.1 in 1965 – are said to be reluctant to start another world tour.

Mick Jagger, 68, doesn’t want to be away from his family and Keith Richards, also 68, has given up the hellraising lifestyle that was a big part of his life on the road. Charlie Watts, 71, has never been a fan of touring anyway.

But Ronnie Wood, 65, gave a strong hint that the band were preparing a comeback, saying: “It looks like we are going to be doing more stuff.”

Although the band played their first gig in July 1962, Keith said: “The Stones considered ’63 to be 50 years because Charlie didn’t join until January.”He also hinted ex-bassist Bill Wyman, who left in 1992, might join in.

JustSteve
06-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Don't care where in the states they play, I will be there.

Riggins33
06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Sublime with Rome.

concertgoer
06-17-2012, 01:16 PM
The Stones at Coachella needs to happen

Riggins33
06-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Getting them to play twice wouldn't happen.

Boourns
06-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Stones, Stone Roses, and...?

Sexecutioner
06-17-2012, 03:43 PM
The Stones at Coachella needs to happen

This would make me very happy!

Bons222000
06-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Getting them to play twice wouldn't happen.

From what I understand they are very into getting every penny out of every show they can...if you paid them enough they would do it.

enginedown
06-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah right. They could charge $300 per ticket and still sell out any major stadium in the US.

Bons222000
06-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Yes but with Coachella they have far less overhead costs. Doing it twice cuts down on the overhead costs even more. McCartney can sell out any stadium in the world with too, and he still managed to do Coachella for $3.5 million. Same with Waters, same with Prince. Remember how Prince just did 20 straight shows at the Forum?

My only point is it's not impossible they'd do Coachella. Especially if they have already announced they're doing festivals.

JustSteve
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
stones make too much money off of their own shows to play a festival set. no way that kind of money is in a festivals budget when you have to book the rest of the weekend.

and word is they are doing one festival. a very prestigious festival in their home country to cap off their career where it's not about the money since headliners don't get paid much traditionally at glasto.

Bons222000
06-17-2012, 07:56 PM
You think the Stones make that much more money per performance than Roger Waters or Paul McCartney?

I'm not saying they are playing Coachella, I'm saying there's a better than 0% chance. And for the record, I don't want them to play...I don't like the Stones.

TomAz
06-17-2012, 08:01 PM
stones make too much money off of their own shows to play a festival set. no way that kind of money is in a festivals budget when you have to book the rest of the weekend.

and word is they are doing one festival. a very prestigious festival in their home country to cap off their career where it's not about the money since headliners don't get paid much traditionally at glasto.

But they're playing Glastonbury. It says so.

Riggins33
06-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't brag about not liking the Stones....It makes you instantly uncool...

Miroir Noir
06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Really hoping against hope that they do Coachella.

IceyHotshot
06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I hope they do either Coachella, LA, or both. I want to see them!

santasutt
06-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Really hoping against hope that they do Coachella.

Bring back Billy on bass and Bobby Keyes = win for all ages

Miroir Noir
06-17-2012, 08:25 PM
If they did Coachella, I'd expect that there'd be a string of Staples dates around the same time, too.

Hey the good news is that they're talking at the same time that Coachella is booking. Coachella definitely is the closest North American equivalent to Glastonbury in terms of the prestige and financial resources necessary to make this possible in a festival setting.

Boourns
06-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Yeah, their headliners get £200,000.

TickleMeElmo
06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
I would think Goldenvoice will try their damnedest to get The Rolling Stones. However, to make that work I guarantee they would have to let them do one or more of their own shows in the LA market. No way they'd do the farewell show in that area just at Coachella alone and call it good, a festival that's almost already sold out. I'd imagine they'd wanna give fans a fair chance to see them one more time.

So I say Coachella w/ LA shows or no Coachella at all.

IceyHotshot
06-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I would think Goldenvoice will try their damnedest to get The Rolling Stones. However, to make that work I guarantee they would have to let them do one or more of their own shows in the LA market. No way they'd do the farewell show in that area just at Coachella alone and call it good, a festival that's almost already sold out. I'd imagine they'd wanna give fans a fair chance to see them one more time.

I'm okay with this, just don't make the LA shows during weekend one :)

theklein25
06-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I feel like Rolling Stones are more likely to pull a Coldplay and book 3 Hollywood Bowl shows or wherever. Just seems like something that is more convenient touring wise

xuclarockerx
06-17-2012, 10:58 PM
I've changed my mind, if this is "the last hurrah" as they say I would love for them to be at Coachella. I'd prefer to see them outside in a stadium or festival setting anyway - missed their last round of stadium shows in the 00's and wouldn't be terribly excited w/ a Stones arena show for some reason. Go big or go home.

anonimouse
06-18-2012, 08:38 AM

pretty much this i would think. im too lazy to do a fake poster but it would much just say THE ROLLING STONES for one of the days, and all the undercard would be people like the guy you see at the hollywood bowl singing with the dog puppet since they couldnt afford anyone else

heart cooks brain
06-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I feel like Rolling Stones are more likely to pull a Coldplay and book 3 Hollywood Bowl shows or wherever. Just seems like something that is more convenient touring wise

why would the stones play 3 shows at the bowl when they could play 3 shows at the coliseum?

JustSteve
06-18-2012, 09:28 AM

more like 3 coliseum shows.

edit: didn't read to end of thread before posting. stones are a def. a stadium band.

xuclarockerx
06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
i read an article a few months ago that mentioned them doing a run of arena shows in LA/NY. hope that doesn't happen, i want stadiums dammit.

Miroir Noir
06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Rolling Stones have no plans to play Glastonbury – or retire (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jun/18/rolling-stones-glastonbury?newsfeed=true)

xuclarockerx
06-18-2012, 10:13 AM
haha

Bumblebee
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
No way they'd do the farewell show in that area just at Coachella alone and call it good, a festival that's almost already sold out.

GV have made no mention or even hinted at the number of tickets sold a few weeks ago. If they actually sold all 185,000 passes they would have been screaming from the rooftops, nor would relatively affordable hotel packages still be available.

BTW, Stones have already issued a denial on this news story, though the Glasto part says "won't confirm or deny" which I interpret as a strong likelihood.

Miroir Noir
06-18-2012, 10:24 AM
BTW, Stones have already issued a denial on this news story, though the Glasto part says "won't confirm or deny" which I interpret as a strong likelihood.

Glastonbury's press office said this morning that speculation about the Stones playing the festival is nothing new, since they are one of the few legends never to have appeared, but there have been no conversations as yet. A spokesman said: "Everybody in the year off thinks they've come up with the perfect Glastonbury lineup. But at the moment there isn't anything to confirm or deny."

= confirmed for Pyramid Stage.

Bumblebee
06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/64377

I also find the idea of the Stones doing a final show in late July for 200k at Glastonbury to be out of character. August/September have been lucrative for them in the northern hemisphere.

Also, how would Australia fit into the picture?

Dede' Arneaux
06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/64377

I also find the idea of the Stones doing a final show in late July for 200k at Glastonbury to be out of character. August/September have been lucrative for them in the northern hemisphere.

Also, how would Australia fit into the picture?

Glastonbury is at the end of June

Bumblebee
06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Glastonbury is at the end of June

So the Stone will play their last show in late June, ignoring money to be made in July/August/September? Outdoor show(s) for NYC in the spring?

JustSteve
06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
money is what they are worried about.

Mugwog
06-18-2012, 01:27 PM
money is what they are worried about.

WHAT?! THE STONES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT MUSIC AND ROCK AND ROLL DUDE.

djandrews25
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I will support them playing only if it is truly the last time they will ever squeeze their wrinkled asses into tight leather pants and embarrass themselves. I like their old stuff but damn they've sucked for the last 30 years.

SlowMotionApocalypse
06-22-2012, 09:41 AM

Yep, if the Stones have ever stood for anything, it's giving a fair chance to their fans.

nathanfairchild
06-22-2012, 09:43 AM
so how many farewell tours will this one make?

nosurprises12
06-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Two fewer than KISS, but one more than Cher.

Coachella Bound
06-22-2012, 04:45 PM
A 50th anniversary tour is much different than a farewell tour. Coachella is one of the premier festivals in the United States.... and if they're attempting to maintain that status it would be silly to think that they wouldn't try and sign them for the weekends. Its basically up to the Stones if they are up to the task. I think the idea of playing 2 weekends @ Coachella is far more appealing than just a another random US festival.

concertgoer
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
FWIW The Stones have never done a farewell tour.

TickleMeElmo
06-22-2012, 06:38 PM
A 50th anniversary tour is much different than a farewell tour. Coachella is one of the premier festivals in the United States.... and if they're attempting to maintain that status it would be silly to think that they wouldn't try and sign them for the weekends. Its basically up to the Stones if they are up to the task. I think the idea of playing 2 weekends @ Coachella is far more appealing than just a another random US festival.

Like I said, I'm sure they'll try but the most realistic option is just Glastonbury and solo shows across the US, no festivals here in the States at all. I had a mockup of who I think will headline and The Rolling Stones were on it but I think I'll take them off now.

Dede' Arneaux
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
So the Stone will play their last show in late June, ignoring money to be made in July/August/September? Outdoor show(s) for NYC in the spring?

Glasto is June, so just suppose, let your mind wander, imagine even ... they play somewhere other than the UK afterwards.

buckienasty
07-28-2012, 12:46 PM
hello there i have just joined this site, i live in bonnie scotland and am a keen festival goer,can u tell me the dates of the festival next year,and where about in california it is,please,buckienasty@yahoo.co.uk,thanks and keep on rocking

TickleMeElmo
07-28-2012, 05:56 PM
You can't be fucking serious.

Dede' Arneaux
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
hello there i have just joined this site, i live in bonnie scotland and am a keen festival goer,can u tell me the dates of the festival next year,and where about in california it is,please,buckienasty@yahoo.co.uk,thanks and keep on rocking

PM sent.

kneuller
07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Post of the year

captncrzy
08-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Different Stones...

Glastonbury Festival boss reveals it's a new exciting era for the Festival

with the licence back in house, and adds to The Stone Roses rumour
Tuesday 14th August 2012

Glastonbury Festival boss Michael Eavis has revealed that the Festival will have a greater sense of freedom next year according to an interview with the NME, (here), after being able to take the entertainment licence back in house after ending their decade-long association with Melvin Benn from Festival Republic.

Eavis is quoted as saying, "We've actually changed the structure quite a bit, the management. We're managing the licensing, the health and safety now ourselves, which means we're back driving the train again. We'll be back to how we were before the problems we had in the year 2000. We're venturing into a new era now and it's very exciting. Will there be more of a sense of freedom? You bet there will be."

His statement ends speculation that any other major promotion company would be taking on the licence for next year.

The dairy farmer also added weight to The Stone Roses for Glastonbury Festival rumour which we first mentioned in June, (here) telling the music magazine whilst watching them at Sziget festival last weekend that, "I'm very keen on The Stone Roses – I always have been. They played at Pilton Party for 300 people in 1995, which the year they cancelled on the main event and Pulp stepped in to replace them. I would like them to come back at some point. Are they a possible headliner for next year? I think it is possible, yeah."

The Stone Roses owe Glastonbury Festival a show after their billed appearance at the 25th anniversary of the first Festival was cancelled the week before the event, and they were replaced by Pulp, although they did as Eavis confirmed appear at the Pilton show for locals in September instead.

Glastonbury Festival took a year out this year, and will return next year from Wednesday 26th until Sunday 30th June 2013. Eavis added that next year will be the best one ever, saying "We've already got some acts confirmed, but I can't say who they are. There's not a shadow of a doubt – it will be the best festival we've ever done."

No acts are confirmed as yet for 2013. eFestivals will bring you the very latest rumours - keep your eyes on the Glastonbury 2013 rumours, updated as we receive information.

Everyone who plans to the come Glastonbury Festival must register in advance in order to be able to obtain their ticket, and that includes children aged 13, 14 and 15. All ticket holders (not just the person who purchases the tickets for a group) MUST register in advance so that their ticket can have their photo printed onto the ticket.

Registration does not reserve or guarantee you a ticket, but if you don't register you will not be able to buy a ticket for Glastonbury Festival 2013.

Online registration for 2013 can be carried out by clicking here.

If you have registered to buy tickets to Glastonbury Festival before, you may well still be registered (you now only need to do it once), but it's advisable that you check your registration now by clicking here. If you can't find it, the best bet is to re-register - much better to get it all sorted not now than to discover your registration has expired on the day of the ticket sale.

You can also now edit the details of your existing registration (for example if you need to change your address) by clicking here.

Tickets will go on sale for Glastonbury Festival on Sunday 7th October 2012 at 9am, and eFestivals will have links to buy them then.

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/12/120814a.shtml#E8rG1U1lUI5X6LJU.99

Miroir Noir
08-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Hmmmmm

The Rolling Stones have a big announcement coming soon! Get involved by downloading the uView app and pointing your device at this image.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/488184_10151132401428287_1188106461_n.jpg

iTunes: umusic.ly/uView
Google Play: umusic.ly/uViewAndroid

grichsgang
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Two fewer than KISS, but one more than Cher.

...and about nine (give or take) fewer than the Who.

SlowMotionApocalypse
08-21-2012, 01:41 PM
The new documentary and soundtrack.

concertgoer
08-30-2012, 04:53 AM
and so it begins (http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/touring/rolling-stones-to-play-london-brooklyn-in-1007909962.story)

icedKeg
10-11-2012, 01:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rPFGWVKXxm0

first new song in six years or something.

paulb
10-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Damn, thats a pretty killer rock and roll tune. Surprised they still have something left in them. Sounds like it would be a great live track.

Miroir Noir
10-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Latest tour rumors: tix for O2 and Newark may go on sale this weekend. (http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/10/10/exclusive-rolling-stones-concert-tix-will-go-on-sale-this-weeken)

concertgoer
10-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Hopefully the LA shows= Coachella :)

suprefan
10-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Hopefully the LA shows= Coachella :)

Keep dreaming

canexplain
10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
The first time I saw the Stones was in 65 ... that makes me feel a bit old but time goes on eh .... the set list below is from the 72' tour (which I had to look up of course cuz I had no clue what they played. ) It's funny but I would accept that for a setlist right now ..... cr****

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Love in Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
Bye, Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting

high5sareawesome
10-11-2012, 02:29 PM

This is amazing.

grichsgang
10-12-2012, 09:39 AM
The first time I saw the Stones was in 65 ... that makes me feel a bit old but time goes on eh .... the set list below is from the 72' tour (which I had to look up of course cuz I had no clue what they played. ) It's funny but I would accept that for a setlist right now ..... cr****

Brown Sugar
Bitch
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Love in Vain
Sweet Virginia
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down the Line
Midnight Rambler
Bye, Bye Johnny
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting

I trust that Mick Taylor (their best lead, imo) was on that tour. To see TWGR&RB in their prime doing that set list must've been amazing.

canexplain
10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I trust that Mick Taylor (their best lead, imo) was on that tour. To see TWGR&RB in their prime doing that set list must've been amazing.

It was. It was sort of interesting because there was some crossover of the times and feelings but seeing the Beatles was about seeing THEM (Not the THEM LOLZ), an event, seeing the Stones was more about the music and getting down and dirty with the lads. Yea Mick, I haven't been melancholy in a long while but seeing the original Stones, The Who with Keith, all four Beatles, the JHE before Jimi died lol. It was great, interesting, and exciting times when I was a kid. I know it is the same with you guys and the new groups but I loved those times... ...... cr****

edit: Not dogging THEM. They kinda fit also because what was THEM when Van the Man left the group? Some might say THEM? who are they? Who hasn't heard the single Gloria (or Baby Please Don't Go)? Guessing no one.

RageAgainstTheAoki
10-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Stones playing UK and US later this year. Announcement below.

dECLLKyfjm0

bananahambone
10-15-2012, 06:15 AM
I really love the stones, but I don't think I could see them live. It just feels... wrong.

high5sareawesome
10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I really love the stones, but I don't think I could see them live. It just feels... wrong.

You love them, yet it would feel wrong to see them live? Okay. That makes a lot of sense.

mikey1313666
10-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Go on...

bananahambone
10-15-2012, 06:32 PM
The expectations I have of that band are far more than what they could deliver to me at a live show. And this is my fault as it's contempt prior. I would never discourage anyone from seeing them, and if they happened to be at coachella I would, with no doubt, check em out.. but get tickets to a stadium show? All I'm saying is I'm not going to regret never seeing them live.

TomAz
10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rPFGWVKXxm0

first new song in six years or something.

There's something about a 70 year old man singing "Baby take a chance, baby won't you dance with me".

high5sareawesome
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
The expectations I have of that band are far more than what they could deliver to me at a live show. And this is my fault as it's contempt prior. I would never discourage anyone from seeing them, and if they happened to be at coachella I would, with no doubt, check em out.. but get tickets to a stadium show? All I'm saying is I'm not going to regret never seeing them live.

So you're saying you would see them live if they played at Coachella, yet not in a stadium setting. Okay.

I have to say though, I saw them several years ago at the Staples Center, an arena, and they were amazing. They have a lot more energy than some of their younger counterparts that's for sure.

Phantasma Del Mar
10-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Staples Center is an arena >_>

bananahambone
10-15-2012, 10:09 PM
^ yeah. that's not in question at all.

high5sareawesome
10-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Staples Center is an arena >_>

Thanks for pointing that out Phantasma Del Mar. I thought I put arena in their. Oh well.

bananahambone
10-15-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm not saying an arena would have any effect on the performance. I'm just probably not going to see the stones.

Coachella Bound
10-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Tickets for the Rolling Stones' gigs in London are selling for thousands of dollars days before the public can officially get their hands on seats.

The rockers are set to return to the stage next month for the first time in five years to mark the band's 50th anniversary, and they've announced two shows at the British capital's O2 Arena and two December concerts at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. But British fans have been left outraged by the high price of tickets for the London shows, which start at more than $160 for the cheapest seats. Tickets for the London gigs have been made available early for fan club members and sponsors, and seats are already selling for high prices online a full day before they go on general sale. Resale website Getmein.com is listing some tickets for as much as $21,120, while others are being offered from between $589.60 and $17,600. Tickets are also being sold off on auction website eBay.com for as much as $9,600. The band will play London on Nov. 25 and 26, and in New Jersey on Dec. 13 and 15. Tickets for the U.S. shows will be released to the public on Oct. 26.

Miroir Noir
10-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Details emerge (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-the-rolling-stones-reunion-20121024), including this:

The Stones expect former guitarist Mick Taylor (who quit in 1974) and founding bassist Bill Wyman (gone since '93) to come on board for the four shows, but only as guests on a few songs.

Also, the most perfect Keith Richards quotation of all time:

I like a glass of wine with my meal and everything, but I've given up sort of waking up and having a drink, you know? I gave up smack, I can give up anything. No big deal to me, I do it to impress other people. But if they come up with a great new drug, I'll be the first one on it, believe me.

paulb
10-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Damn, thats pretty big news if you're at Stones fan eh.

blackchango
10-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Details emerge (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-the-rolling-stones-reunion-20121024), including this:

Also, the most perfect Keith Richards quotation of all time:

Wonder if he's done bath salts yet?

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-26-2012, 11:17 AM
contracts are in hand

grichsgang
11-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Can't really see this happening. With upper bowl tix at Barclays going for $500, that sounds like a gross of about $12 mil. Assuming the boys get just half that, I don't think GV wants to shell out that kind of dough for one act for a festival that's already sold out. I hope I'm wrong.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Can't really see this happening. With upper bowl tix at Barclays going for $500, that sounds like a gross of about $12 mil. Assuming the boys get just half that, I don't think GV wants to shell out that kind of dough for one act for a festival that's already sold out. I hope I'm wrong.

Barclay's isn't close to sold out. If they want to do more than 5 more shows next year, they are going to have to lower the asking price a bit.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 01:53 AM
GV paid McCartney in the $3.5-4mil range for a single performance. But Coachella got lots of longer influence from that booking.

I don't what cache the Stones could bring to the Coachella festival that would warrant anything near the money quotes being thrown around for the NYC/London area shows.

There's simply far better ways for GV to spend the talent budget.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
The Stones will not play Coachella.

Every time they tour it is the most expensive tickets of any world tour. Cheap seats typically go for $300 a pop. Most floor tickets go for thousands (LISTED price, not scalper price). If they are "going out in grand style" why would they play a festival with a tiny stage and a max crowd of 75,000?

I saw the Rolling Stones at Angel Stadium a few years ago, they were excellent, played 2.5hrs, and a greatest hits setlist. 80,000 people. In Anaheim. A secondary market, after two nights in LA, and Petco Park in San Diego the next date. The stage was the LARGEST performance piece i have ever seen, i believe it was larger than the Muse stage, and about the size of the U2 stage. The last time they played it was the highest-grossing tour of all time, the North American leg alone being the 3rd highest-grossing tour ever at that time. The last North American tour before that was the highest-grossing tour ever at that time, breaking their own previous record from the 90's..

They grossed more than U2 when they both toured in '06. In the US and Worldwide.

If GV books them (they won't be the ones to, believe that), it'll be to play LA Coliseum. Multiple nights. And make more per show than Coachella will in two weekends. And that's just one stop on the tour...

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.rollingstonesitalia.com/img/videografia/biggestbang2.jpg

http://architecture.stufish.com/media/4065/442-rollingstones-biggerbang-23aug05-0094w_t1_GalleryImageThumbnail.jpg

gives new meaning to side of stage seating...that's multiple floors holding thousands. and this is what they had in '05/'06. and just a regular world tour, not a 50th Anniversary farewell tour in 2013.....and the center of the stage moved from the Outfield to the pitcher's mount, giving a concert in the round to the people on the floor, and front row seats to those in the grandstands for a few songs.

http://www.chroma-q.com/images/news/color-block-rolling-stones-a-bigger-bang-tour3.jpg

http://elitecarbonfibre.co.uk/imgs/large/BiggerBangTour.jpg

http://www.pyramid-staging.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG_0374.jpg

1) Start Me Up (approx. 9:15 start)
2) YGMR
3) She's So Cold
4) Tumbling Dice
5) Oh No Not You Again
6) Ruby Tuesday
7) It's Only Rock & Roll
8) Bitch
9) Night Time
10) Slipping Away
11) Infamy
12) Miss You
13) Rough Justice
14) Get Off Of My Cloud
15) Honky Tonk Women
16) Sympathy For The Devil
17) Paint It Black
18) Brown Sugar
19) Satisfaction
20) YCAGWYW
21) Jumpin Jack Flash

xuclarockerx
11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
The cheap seats for the New Jersey show were listed at around $100 when I checked.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
The Stones will not play Coachella. Every time they tour it is the most expensive tickets of any world tour. Cheap seats typically go for $300 a pop. Most floor tickets go for thousands (LISTED price, not scalper price). If they are "going out in grand style" why would they play a festival with a tiny stage and a max crowd of 75,000?

I saw the Rolling Stones at Angel Stadium a few years ago, they were excellent, played 2.5hrs, and a greatest hits setlist. 80,000 people. In Anaheim. A secondary market, after two nights in LA, and Petco Park in San Diego the next date. The stage was the LARGEST performance piece i have ever seen, i believe it was larger than the Muse stage, and about the size of the U2 stage. The last time they played it was the highest-grossing tour of all time, the North American leg alone being the 3rd highest-grossing tour ever at that time. The last North American tour before that was the highest-grossing tour ever at that time, breaking their own previous record from the 90's.. They grossed more than U2 when they both toured in '06. In the US and Worldwide.

If GV books them (they won't be the ones to, believe that), it'll be to play LA Coliseum. Multiple nights. And make more per show than Coachella will in two weekends. And that's just one stop on the tour...

Madonna has the highest world tour tickets around. Stones tickets averaged closer to $100 last tour and some market had slower sales due to touring so much so often.

Most Stones shows are 2 hours or a tiny bit less. Angel Stadium had 48,000 people in 2005. Stones did Isle of Wight festival several years ago. U2's claw could apparently fit OVER the Bigger Bang stage according to people who worked on both.

Those "highest grossing tours" are done over 3 calendar years and have 7 month breaks in them. U2 has the biggest tour right now. Gaga and Madonna are both trying to get into the top 3 with their current tours.

They are playing an AEG owned venue this week and Michael Cohl seems to out of the picture as their tour Booker. They are keeping to arenas as stadium stages need too many dates to be worthwhile. With the arena stage they have freedom to pick whatever dates to play.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
The cheap seats for the New Jersey show were listed at around $100 when I checked.

And fans found those impossible to find during the on sale. Promoters do 200 of those tickets so they don't look greedy when it's announced in the paper.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Madonna has the highest world tour tickets around. Stones tickets averaged closer to $100 last tour and some market had slower sales due to touring so much so often.

Most Stones shows are 2 hours or a tiny bit less. Angel Stadium had 48,000 people in 2005. Stones did Isle of Wight festival several years ago. U2's claw could apparently fit OVER the Bigger Bang stage according to people who worked on both.

Those "highest grossing tours" are done over 3 calendar years and have 7 month breaks in them. U2 has the biggest tour right now. Gaga and Madonna are both trying to get into the top 3 with their current tours.

They are playing an AEG owned venue this week and Michael Cohl seems to out of the picture as their tour Booker. They are keeping to arenas as stadium stages need too many dates to be worthwhile. With the arena stage they have freedom to pick whatever dates to play.

This is why they are playing festivals next year. 5 million a show, they don't have to bear any of the production costs or even be dependent on their own fanbase to bring in that kind of coin.

However they may also just do 2 shows at Staples or the Hollywood Bowl with ultra expensive tickets instead.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.rollingstonesitalia.com/img/videografia/biggestbang2.jpg

http://architecture.stufish.com/media/4065/442-rollingstones-biggerbang-23aug05-0094w_t1_GalleryImageThumbnail.jpg

gives new meaning to side of stage seating...that's multiple floors holding thousands.

I had onstage seating at the Anaheim show - held maybe a hundred tops, probably closer to 50 people.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I had onstage seating at the Anaheim show - held maybe a hundred tops, probably closer to 50 people.

Had? or Held?

and were u including the floors above & below you, as well as the corresponding levels on the other side of the stage? there are clearly more than 50-100 in that picture, and it only shows one half of the setup

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
This is why they are playing festivals next year. 5 million a show, they don't have to bear any of the production costs or even be dependent on their own fanbase to bring in that kind of coin.

However they may also just do 2 shows at Staples or the Hollywood Bowl with ultra expensive tickets instead.

they would make more than $5million in ticket sales alone for one date at Staples at regular Stones prices. and they could easily sell out multiple dates even with higher prices.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Had? or Held?

and were u including the floors above & below you, as well as the corresponding levels on the other side of the stage? there are clearly more than 50-100 in that picture, and it only shows one half of the setup

Looks like 56. 4 people to a box, so more like 120-ish.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 01:11 PM
they would make more than $5million in ticket sales alone for one date at Staples at regular Stones prices. and they could easily sell out multiple dates even with higher prices.

Standard arena gross in 2005 was about $2 million. With the third arena show in NY not sold out and secondary market prices plummeting it looks like $500-800 ticket and $7.5 million per arena show isn't something that can be replicated too many times.

And barring any major disasters in the next few weeks they do plan on doing more shows next year.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Most Stones shows are 2 hours or a tiny bit less. Angel Stadium had 48,000 people in 2005.

Where did u get the 2005 sales number? It was a obviously a sell-out and Angels stadium capacity for BASEBALL seating in 2005 was 45,050, but they had tens of thousands more on the floor of the stadium, and the small outcrop of outfield bleacher seats were the only thing closed off. I've heard 65,000+ is capacity for concerts .. here is what The Sun newspaper said: "A few $450 seats remain for Anaheim, but the Bowl is sold out, and brokers are asking $3,500 for top seats." As for the 'highest grossing tours' i clearly said several times "at the time", and maybe Madonna has highest ticket prices but that's because she does arenas not stadiums, so even with the highest prices she isn't highest grossing tour.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Looks like 56. 4 people to a box, so more like 120-ish.

While i was never sure if there were people on the top floor, there were people on the bottom level at the show i attended, even if they can't be seen in that photo.. but okay, 150 people or so..4 to a box? first time i've ever seen any act with side-stage viewing have it filled so sparingly..

i'm not talking about the standard arena take, which includes small markets, mid-west, and multiple dates in cities closer together in the NE. I'm talking about Staples center, which has a large capacity for an arena. LA typically has 2nd highest US ticket prices after Las Vegas. I'm also talking about 2013 numbers, which for a 50th Anniversary Farewell Tour would bring in more $$ than a standard tour in 2005 dollars..

My statements aren't bearing on the booking of the Stones US tour, but only that is bad booking to forgo millions in extra revenue, just to play a festival in that market. Now if Coachella got them, and after it sold out, the Stones added weekday dates at Staples & Honda, mayyyyybe.... but traditionally, the stones don't add a ton of last minute dates. And it still goes back to the fact that there is nothing in it for them to forgo those shows just to play chella. Not to mention the waste of $5-8 million for GV to book them, when they're going to get an easy sell out with a typical chella lineup sans Stones. Why waste the cash?

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Where did u get the 2005 sales number? It was a obviously a sell-out and Angels stadium capacity for BASEBALL seating in 2005 was 45,050, but they had tens of thousands more on the floor of the stadium, and the small outcrop of outfield bleacher seats were the only thing closed off. I've heard 65,000+ is capacity for concerts .. here is what The Sun newspaper said: "A few $450 seats remain for Anaheim, but the Bowl is sold out, and brokers are asking $3,500 for top seats." As for the 'highest grossing tours' i clearly said several times "at the time", and maybe Madonna has highest ticket prices but that's because she does arenas not stadiums, so even with the highest prices she isn't highest grossing tour.

The stadium was reduced in size after the 1994 earthquake. With the floor mostly filled with fatsos they don't have 1980's concert capacity anymore.

And the show may have been reported as a sellout to Billboard but was by no means a tough ticket. I think there was about 50-52,000 at the 2002 show but I can't find that figure now.

16. Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, Calif.
Nov. 4, 2005
$6,792,416
48,480 / 48,480
1 / 1
$450, $60

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 02:00 PM

U2 did 106,000 over 2 nights with 360 seating in 2011. The Stones average ticket price is crazy high at the Angel Stadium show but the Bigger Bang tour average was under $100 with nightly attendance averaging at 32,000.

November 4, 2005
Anaheim, CA
Angel Stadium Of Anaheim
GROSS: $6,792,416
ATTENDANCE: 48,480
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $140.11

I thought the Vertigo tour grossed more than it did, so the Bigger Bang tour was top dog from 2007-2011.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
While i was never sure if there were people on the top floor, there were people on the bottom level at the show i attended, even if they can't be seen in that photo.. but okay, 150 people or so..4 to a box? first time i've ever seen any act with side-stage viewing have it filled so sparingly..

4 people to a box, it may look wide but it wasn't very deep, lots of lighting and product elements immedietly behind me. Could hear the hiss of the fuel lines when the flames shot out the top during Sympathy. Said we couldn't leave to go to the restroom during first 2 and last 3 songs due to pyro,

i'm not talking about the standard arena take, which includes small markets, mid-west, and multiple dates in cities closer together in the NE. I'm talking about Staples center, which has a large capacity for an arena.

Once you block out behind the stage and private boxes it's back down to about 14,000

LA typically has 2nd highest US ticket prices after Las Vegas. I'm also talking about 2013 numbers, which for a 50th Anniversary Farewell Tour would bring in more $$ than a standard tour in 2005 dollars..

They aren't ready to pull the farewell card yet. They might milk just LA one time at Brooklyn prices but they also just found out what the market can bear and it's not more than a handful of shows worldwide at those prices.

[qutoe]
My statements aren't bearing on the booking of the Stones US tour, but only that is bad booking to forgo millions in extra revenue, just to play a festival in that market. Now if Coachella got them, and after it sold out, the Stones added weekday dates at Staples & Honda, mayyyyybe.... but traditionally, the stones don't add a ton of last minute dates. [/quote]

They have the last few tours.

And it still goes back to the fact that there is nothing in it for them to forgo those shows just to play chella. Not to mention the waste of $5-8 million for GV to book them, when they're going to get an easy sell out with a typical chella lineup sans Stones. Why waste the cash?

It goes back to what I say about how they don't have to book any real headliners at all if the festival is going to sell out anyway.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
My statements aren't bearing on the booking of the Stones US tour, but only that is bad booking to forgo millions in extra revenue, just to play a festival in that market. Now if Coachella got them, and after it sold out, the Stones added weekday dates at Staples & Honda, mayyyyybe.... but traditionally, the stones don't add a ton of last minute dates. And it still goes back to the fact that there is nothing in it for them to forgo those shows just to play chella. Not to mention the waste of $5-8 million for GV to book them, when they're going to get an easy sell out with a typical chella lineup sans Stones. Why waste the cash?

Why not announce them playing both Coachella and LA dates at the same time like they did with Leonard Cohen? Good way to shave a 1-2 million off their guarantee. In 2009 Springsteen did Glastonbury and a solo gig in Hyde Park the same weekend.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 02:16 PM
It goes back to what I say about how they don't have to book any real headliners at all if the festival is going to sell out anyway.

Weak argument. I know this annoys some here, but I'm quite certain GV have several million locked up in hotel packages that could either make them lose bit of money or they get o make a couple million. Hotels cannot compete directly with GV so they sell blocks of rooms.

Also 1 weak lineup could mean a low turn out in 2014 or 2015 which could really mess up the festival. The Glastonbury year with Jay-Z took until the last minute to sell out which was unheard of. "traditional" music fans considered him a weak headliner as he hadn't proven himself at that level.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 02:19 PM
maybe Madonna has highest ticket prices but that's because she does arenas not stadiums, so even with the highest prices she isn't highest grossing tour.

Pretty sure her average stadium prices are higher than the Stones.

I also think the Stones can make in arenas than stadiums at this point.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Pretty sure her average stadium prices are higher than the Stones.

I also think the Stones can make in arenas than stadiums at this point.

If that was true, she'd have made more money. She didn't. She also doesn't sell out stadiums in North America, just arenas.

The stadium was reduced in size after the 1994 earthquake. With the floor mostly filled with fatsos they don't have 1980's concert capacity anymore.

And the show may have been reported as a sellout to Billboard but was by no means a tough ticket. I think there was about 50-52,000 at the 2002 show but I can't find that figure now.

the capacity figures i pulled were from 2005, it actually has an increased capacity now for 2012/2013.

$450 a seat is a tough ticket, no matter the definition. And while a few tickets were still available at the time of printing a day & a half before showtime, it said sold out on the electronic billboard when i arrived, and i saw no empty seats..

Weak argument. I know this annoys some here, but I'm quite certain GV have several million locked up in hotel packages that could either make them lose bit of money or they get o make a couple million. Hotels cannot compete directly with GV so they sell blocks of rooms.

Also 1 weak lineup could mean a low turn out in 2014 or 2015 which could really mess up the festival. The Glastonbury year with Jay-Z took until the last minute to sell out which was unheard of. "traditional" music fans considered him a weak headliner as he hadn't proven himself at that level.

I disagree, Chella could sell out without headliners, and it would be a 'pure' coachella crowd, which would be nice.

'08 had Prince & Roger Waters, no sell out.
'09 had Paul McCartney & the Cure, no sell out.
'10 had Jay-Z (who hindered Glasto sales), Muse & Gorillaz...arguably the smallest headliners to date, sold out in 3 weeks before fest.
'11 had Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Kanye West...arguably even smaller headliners than year before, sold out in 3 weeks after onsale.
'12 had Black Keys (again) w/ Dr Dre & the band that does that 'Creep' song...sold out in 3 days
'13 no lineup yet, 1st weekend already sold out, 2nd weekend has some tickets left

i don't think headliners matter anymore. some that bought tickets will bitch and sell them (like this year), but there will be 1000 more waiting to buy that ticket. Coachella fans go for the eclectic undercard. Headliners bring in those people who have never been to chella before, and will prob never go again. the fans who never leave the main stage after sunset, and don't show up at the Polo until 4pm.

GuyInTucson
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
First weekend is not sold out yet.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 03:03 PM
If GV hadn't stopped the presale after seven days, is there any doubt in your mind that it would be?

GuyInTucson
11-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I am not saying it wouldn't have, but the point is that weekend one passes will be available in January.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 03:16 PM
$450 a seat is a tough ticket, no matter the definition. And while a few tickets were still available at the time of printing a day & a half before showtime, it said sold out on the electronic billboard when i arrived, and i saw no empty seats..

I always thought tough ticket meant low availability, both in the secondary market and thru conventional means. I don't remember the SOLD OUT sign and I know people who got in for as low as $20.

Also that show was the Ameritrade company picnic and they bought up thousands of tickets. I don't have an exact figure but it could have in the tens of thousands.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
only a few tickets remained, to me that speaks low availability. If u had friends that got $20 tickets, that's impressive, but as u said, it was an Ameritrade show, and those were probably extra comps that were set aside, despite the sell out. scalped tickets were going for far above ticket price online prior to the show.

I am not saying it wouldn't have, but the point is that weekend one passes will be available in January.

Yes, for several minutes. Point taken.

mrhand
11-27-2012, 04:01 PM
"traditional" music fans considered him a weak headliner...

"traditional" = no like the blax.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
only a few tickets remained, to me that speaks low availability. If u had friends that got $20 tickets, that's impressive, but as u said, it was an Ameritrade show, and those were probably extra comps that were set aside, despite the sell out. scalped tickets were going for far above ticket price online prior to the show.

I saw the"sold out" Stones show in Vancouver in 2006 for $30 sitting in a $180 seat. It's easy for a sold out show to be an " easy" ticket out front, even without comps.

The last Boston and Chicago stadium shows by the Stones actually "stiffed" to a certain degree. 33k in Soldier field in the country's 4th largest city with Costello opening?

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Broker ads asking for $1,000 doesn't necessarily constitute "going for" though there was some profit to be made - I got a $120 Hollywood Bowl ticket for $52 off Ebay then resold it a few days later for $120.

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I saw the"sold out" Stones show in Vancouver in 2006 for $30 sitting in a $180 seat. It's easy for a sold out show to be an " easy" ticket out front, even without comps.

The last Boston and Chicago stadium shows by the Stones actually "stiffed" to a certain degree. 33k in Soldier field in the country's 4th largest city with Costello opening?

Tickets were expensive but aside from the initial rush and a few select dates (Madison Square Garden) there were plenty of tickets to go around. They milked that one hard. I think we will see festival dates unless the band really does want to play just 6 or 8 shows worldwide which I suppose is possible. But there are offers on the table.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Tickets were expensive but aside from the initial rush and a few select dates (Madison Square Garden) there were plenty of tickets to go around. They milked that one hard. I think we will see festival dates unless the band really does want to play just 6 or 8 shows worldwide which I suppose is possible. But there are offers on the table But having other shows in SoCal could be preferable instead of original Stones fans dealing with the Chella marathon experience. Bonnaroo could be health hazard for some of those fans if they attend without pre cautions.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 04:51 PM
"traditional" = no like the blax.

I laughed. Curtis Mayfield was a Glasto headliner 30 years ago, Skunk Anansie a decade ago and and they've had lots of subs. Rap/hip hop was an unproven headliner as a musical genre in 2008.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I disagree, Chella could sell out without headliners, and it would be a 'pure' coachella crowd, which would be nice.

'08 had Prince & Roger Waters, no sell out.
'09 had Paul McCartney & the Cure, no sell out.
'10 had Jay-Z (who hindered Glasto sales), Muse & Gorillaz...arguably the smallest headliners to date, sold out in 3 weeks before fest.
'11 had Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Kanye West...arguably even smaller headliners than year before, sold out in 3 weeks after onsale.
'12 had Black Keys (again) w/ Dr Dre & the band that does that 'Creep' song...sold out in 3 days
'13 no lineup yet, 1st weekend already sold out, 2nd weekend has some tickets left

i don't think headliners matter anymore. some that bought tickets will bitch and sell them (like this year), but there will be 1000 more waiting to buy that ticket. Coachella fans go for the eclectic undercard. Headliners bring in those people who have never been to chella before, and will prob never go again. the fans who never leave the main stage after sunset, and don't show up at the Polo until 4pm.

I recall the RATM and McCartney nights having single day tickets being "sold out". Maybe Prince and Madonna too.

2013 still has tickets to be sold in January plus a ton of hotel packages. 2012 took MONTHS for hotel pages to sell, even though they were only slightly more expensive than VIP wristbands that now sell out within the day.

Wristbands have been cheap out front except 2010 and both Dre gigs.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
If that was true, she'd have made more money. She didn't. She also doesn't sell out stadiums in North America, just arenas.

You said the Stones had the highest average ticket price for major acts that do world tours. Not true.

You said that Stones have higher average prices than when Madonna plays stadiums. Also not true.

Nobody will deny that Madge can only do US stadiums in a number of markets that can be counted on one hand. Internationally the comparison gets a lot more interesting. I don't think Madonna has ever "tanked" in a US stadium, though a couple shows really needed strong walk ups like Houston and Detroit. Stones STRUGGLED the last time through Boston/Chicago stadia.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM

then every show ever qualifies. the number of shows i've gone to that a ticket couldn't be scored in some matter is less than three. taking the chance that you can get tickets on ebay or from a scalper doesn't mean that tickets are 'easy' to come by. i've had more than a few scalped tickets be voids.

I recall the RATM and McCartney nights having single day tickets being "sold out". Maybe Prince and Madonna too.

2013 still has tickets to be sold in January plus a ton of hotel packages. 2012 took MONTHS for hotel pages to sell, even though they were only slightly more expensive than VIP wristbands that now sell out within the day.

Wristbands have been cheap out front except 2010 and both Dre gigs.

'07 sold out weeks in advance, Madonna was '06 (and it did not sell out)..but i wasn't talking about either of those years anyway... tickets were available at the door in '08 for Prince, i bought one. Because 2 of the 3 days I bought tickets for from a scalper at the polo..only Friday was valid. I do not believe single day tickets were sold out for McCartney, there were less people there on friday than on saturday that year.

and the reason the hotel packages take longer to sell out is because they're overpriced and most fans camp. and of course VIP tickets are going to sell quicker than GA w/ a hotel package, even if they are similarly priced. the hotel packages are a way for GV to make extra cash, and quiet the community by guaranteeing fully-booked rooms.

"Wristbands have been cheap out front except 2010 and both Dre gigs."
So they were cheap once, in 2011?

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
You said the Stones had the highest average ticket price for major acts that do world tours. Not true.

You said that Stones have higher average prices than when Madonna plays stadiums. Also not true.

Nobody will deny that Madge can only do US stadiums in a number of markets that can be counted on one hand. Internationally the comparison gets a lot more interesting. I don't think Madonna has ever "tanked" in a US stadium, though a couple shows really needed strong walk ups like Houston and Detroit. Stones STRUGGLED the last time through Boston/Chicago stadia.

I didn't say either of those things. I said the Stones made more per tour, not per show, or per ticket. They have the record for highest-grossing tour of all-time. They also have the record for highest-grossing North American tour, breaking the previous record set by themselves.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't say either of those things. I said the Stones made more per tour, not per show, or per ticket. They have the record for highest-grossing tour of all-time. They also have the record for highest-grossing North American tour, breaking the previous record set by themselves.

U2 360 tour has top all time since early 2011.

FWIW, Stones did an average $3.8m on the last tour while Madonna did $4.7. But apparently her number don't count because she has 3 young kids and doesn't space out tours over 3 calendar years.

Madonna's last completed tour had 88 dates while Stones did 144. Live Nation were begging her to do more.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
and the reason the hotel packages take longer to sell out is because they're overpriced and most fans camp. and of course VIP tickets are going to sell quicker than GA w/ a hotel package, even if they are similarly priced. the hotel packages are a way for GV to make extra cash, and quiet the community by guaranteeing fully-booked rooms.

With GV saying during the presage that for wristbands "no more remaining" and camping was "sold out", doesn't that mean that anyone buying wristbands in January will be forced to stay at a hotel or know a friends with camping?

I thought all rooms were sold out the past couple years whether or not GV bought up packages?

Is there really 9,000 people each weekend that like paying for minimal VIP perks rather than put that money towards a room?

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 06:33 PM
U2 360 tour has top all time since early 2011.

FWIW, Stones did an average $3.8m on the last tour while Madonna did $4.7. But apparently her number don't count because she has 3 young kids and doesn't space out tours over 3 calendar years.

Madonna's last completed tour had 88 dates while Stones did 144. Live Nation were begging her to do more.

Yes, U2 finally broke the Stones record in 2011, also because the Stones hadn't toured since 2007. In '05/'06 the Stones & U2 toured at the same time (vertigo tour). The Stones made more, breaking their own previous record. We will see if the Stones do better or worse than the 360 Tour.

As for Madonna, spacing out tour dates with 3 young kids would make more sense, but whatever. She was busy making horrid movies also.

Wow. The promoter who makes a cut of every show, wanted her to do more?? Shocking. But then again, I imagine Live Nation wants every act they want to book, to book more dates, that's their job. I'm sure her hair stylist wants her to get a haircut too. And i'm sure that whoever booked the Stones tour, would have loved more dates.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
then every show ever qualifies. the number of shows i've gone to that a ticket couldn't be scored in some matter is less than three. taking the chance that you can get tickets on ebay or from a scalper doesn't mean that tickets are 'easy' to come by. i've had more than a few scalped tickets be voids.

'07 sold out weeks in advance, Madonna was '06 (and it did not sell out)..but i wasn't talking about either of those years anyway... tickets were available at the door in '08 for Prince, i bought one. Because 2 of the 3 days I bought tickets for from a scalper at the polo..only Friday was valid. I do not believe single day tickets were sold out for McCartney, there were less people there on friday than on saturday that year.

"Wristbands have been cheap out front except 2010 and both Dre gigs."
So they were cheap once, in 2011?
There was a claim that a Stones Anaheim show was sold out AND a tough ticket when only the former was true.

I remember around 3pm fans could no longer buy McCartney day single tickets. I'm unclear if it was a Coachella rule or if it the single day ticket allotment was fulfilled. Only full passes were available after 3.

I'm saying 2010 was the only year where wristbands went for a premium outside the festival grounds. People were paying $200 just for the DRE performance from those exiting early to go home to work the next day.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
With GV saying during the presage that for wristbands "no more remaining" and camping was "sold out", doesn't that mean that anyone buying wristbands in January will be forced to stay at a hotel or know a friends with camping?

I thought all rooms were sold out the past couple years whether or not GV bought up packages?

Is there really 9,000 people each weekend that like paying for minimal VIP perks rather than put that money towards a room?

No. I think there are 9,000 people who will buy tickets from stubhub for a few bucks above ticket cost.

People who are going to book hotels are going to buy packages, otherwise they're fucking retarded. There are places to stay, Lake Cahuilia hasn't sold out in years i believe, and there are always cheap motels outside of the immediate area. I wouldn't know, I camp. The only ones i know who get hotels are old people. A rental or condo would be the way to go, for cheaper if you get a group together. If i'm not staying onsite, i'd drive home every night.

Nobody is forced to buy a VIP ticket just to get a ticket. An overpriced auction ticket is still going to be cheaper. I will never buy from a scalper in person again.

suprefan
11-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Lesson learned today: promoters like to make money, stadium acts have lots of varying ticket prices, and all have a desire to have the ''highest grossing tour ever'' record for 6 months.

I dont know about you guys, but I am pretty glad The Stones are probably playing Glasto. I dont have to go fork over a fortune to sit in the fucking nosebleeds. And Ill be able to watch it afterwards since theres almost no way the performance is not broadcast on the BBC.

And no coachella, so stop arguing children, please.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
There was a claim that a Stones Anaheim show was sold out AND a tough ticket when only the former was true.

I remember around 3pm fans could no longer buy McCartney day single tickets. I'm unclear if it was a Coachella rule or if it the single day ticket allotment was fulfilled. Only full passes were available after 3.

I'm saying 2010 was the only year where wristbands went for a premium outside the festival grounds. People were paying $200 just for the DRE performance from those exiting early to go home to work the next day.

If a newspaper printed a day & a half before the show, that only a few $450 tickets were left, that is imo a tough ticket considering it was sold out day of. tough ticket doesn't mean impossible to find, imo.

if they cut off single day tickets at 3pm, but full passes were still available, that's not sold out. you could have bought a ticket and walked in.

they only had wristbands 3 years, so i'm not sure what point you're making, other than the last 3 years have sold out in advance.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow. The promoter who makes a cut of every show, wanted her to do more?? Shocking. But then again, I imagine Live Nation wants every act they want to book, to book more dates, that's their job. I'm sure her hair stylist wants her to get a haircut too. And i'm sure that whoever booked the Stones tour, would have loved more dates.

There was demand for Madonna to add shows on that tour. Whereas the Stones had over saturated themselves on that tour with some dates near the end having trouble moving.

Live Nation books tour with some frequency that never happen. Aguilera arena and Limp Bizkit shed tours in 2010 that were junked after the first ticket onsales. Live Nation didn't even bother booking Avril Lavigne a single real show in the US on her last tour despite a very poorly attended run of shows across Canada.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
No. I think there are 9,000 people who will buy tickets from stubhub for a few bucks above ticket cost.

9,000 VIP's is a GV supplied figure from Billboard.

The scalper research doest really yeild proof of more that 1-3,000 wristbands sold on the secondary, and many under $500.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
i don't know where to start.......

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 06:51 PM
9,000 VIP's is a GV supplied figure from Billboard.

The scalper research doest really yeild proof of more that 1-3,000 wristbands sold on the secondary, and many under $500.

yeah..VIPs buy them, or people that want to be VIP. Not people who are desperate for a ticket, any ticket. a lot of them are bought up by A&R reps and industry professionals and doled out to clients and celebs. if you think paris hilton & lyndsey lohan are on Frontgate getting presale, you're insane.

I believe alot of the local tickets handed out to chambers of commerce, etc are VIP, and i know a lot of them are kept for comps, i got vip comped by gv in 08

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
they only had wristbands 3 years, so i'm not sure what point you're making, other than the last 3 years have sold out in advance.

My point is only 1 year out of 14 coachella years have tickets/wristbands been hard to acquire in the days/hours leading up to the festival. In some ways this is a barometer that the Coachella brand isn't bulletproof as some think. S.S. Coachella Cruise selling remaining tickets with group-on is another example.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 06:57 PM
My point is only 1 year out of 14 coachella years have tickets/wristbands been hard to acquire in the days/hours leading up to the festival. In some ways this is a barometer that the Coachella brand isn't bulletproof as some think. S.S. Coachella Cruise selling remaining tickets with group-on is another example.

which is the one year you say was hard to acquire tickets/wristbands? '07 or '10? or '12 by your own admission...

and how is it not bulletproof? the first 10 of those had one sell out. all the rest have sold out. in advance. and quicker each year.

and there has only been 13 coachellas.

microcuts
11-27-2012, 06:59 PM

I got a phone call from SS Coachella a couple months back telling me that some State rooms just opened up and that they noticed I registered on the site but didn't purchase anything. LOL. Desperation.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Quick name a more successful, quickly selling out concert cruise line that isn't Disney in the last four years?

Coachella '10 sold out 3 weeks before show
Coachella '11 sold out in 3 weeks
Coachella '12 sold out in 3 days (both weekends)

i predict Coachella '13 (both weekends) will sell out in 3 hours, or less.

They've sold twice as many tickets as the previous year, which is twice as many tickets as many early years.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 07:03 PM
yeah..VIPs buy them, or people that want to be VIP. Not people who are desperate for a ticket, any ticket. a lot of them are bought up by A&R reps and industry professionals and doled out to clients and celebs. if you think paris hilton & lyndsey lohan are on Frontgate getting presale, you're insane.

In the last couple summer/January tickets sales I have noticed VIP wristbands selling out 1-2 hours after regular passes. Some may make an impulse purchase, but it's a small percentage.

I have noticed Paris, Lohan and other celebs with "heart" wristbands rather than "VIP" in photos and in person. Presumably they still pay for themselves and friends, but without on sale hassles.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
i know they did change how they did comps between '09 and '10. prior to '10 it was fairly easy for people in the industry (even volunteers for insomniac, etc) to get comps. in 2010 they took a lot of tickets they usually set aside and sold them open market, upping the capacity that year, and i guess one of the things that led to two weekends. i imagine they restructured how they do the wristbands, i doubt they had the heart ones prior to 2010.

but i doubt most celebs pay for their tickets, it's great publicity for the fest to have so many celebs walking around, often wasted. many celebs are invited out by GV and put up in resorts for the week, often members of an act that ends up playing the next year, but not always..

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
which is the one year you say was hard to acquire tickets/wristbands? '07 or '10? or '12 by your own admission...

and how is it not bulletproof? the first 10 of those had one sell out. all the rest have sold out. in advance. and quicker each year.

and there has only been 13 coachellas.

2010 was the tough year as fans were caught off guard by the sell out after being accustomed to walk up sales. 2009 was my first year there.

I include hotel packages to really gauge demand. 2012 still had them in late March.

I count 14, as we all anticipate that 2013 regular passes go easily.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
i know they did change how they did comps between '09 and '10. prior to '10 it was fairly easy for people in the industry (even volunteers for insomniac, etc) to get comps. in 2010 they took a lot of tickets they usually set aside and sold them open market, upping the capacity that year, and i guess one of the things that led to two weekends. i imagine they restructured how they do the wristbands, i doubt they had the heart ones prior to 2010.

I heard that this year and maybe last year the bands had guest lists limited. I think band scalping extra passes might have been an concern, especially bottom line acts.

microcuts
11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
2010 was clusterfuck/crashing the gates-chella. Sounds like it didn't even matter that year if it was "hard" to find a wristband.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
okay, so how is it 1 out of 14? are you saying it won't sell out? you don't count 2012 because hotel packages were available in late March, but you DO count 2010 because tickets sold out in late March? Gotcha. 3 weeks before the fest is hardly 'off-guard', especially since they posted that tickets were almost gone and to get yours soon.

I think a better case could be made that people were more caught off guard in '11 & '12 when tickets sold out in a few days after years of people being able to purchase tickets long after finalizing travel arrangements and getting friends committed to going after the lineup had dropped. Only this year do people realize that this shit is going to sell out quick.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I heard that this year and maybe last year the bands had guest lists limited. I think band scalping extra passes might have been an concern, especially bottom line acts.

i'll bet anything it started in 2010. guest list tickets come out of comp, which GV more or less slashed starting in 2010. with two weekends in 2012, they could have reversed some of that, as they lowered the capacity again.

2010 was clusterfuck/crashing the gates-chella. Sounds like it didn't even matter that year if it was "hard" to find a wristband.

that's WHY it was a clusterfuck. it sold out in advance, but they allowed u to camp technically even without a fest pass (that year). a couple thousand people bought scalped tickets at the gate and were turned away as VOIDED. they had traveled, were staying on site, car campers couldn't leave and come back, what would YOU do? I'd jump a fence after having already paid too.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 07:38 PM
that's WHY it was a clusterfuck. it sold out in advance, but they allowed u to camp technically even without a fest pass (that year). a couple thousand people bought scalped tickets at the gate and were turned away as VOIDED. they had traveled, were staying on site, car campers couldn't leave and come back, what would YOU do? I'd jump a fence after having already paid too.

That was also the year people took their purple passes to KINKO's in Indio and could get in with the honor system after the scanners failed at least one of the days.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
i can't tell if you're real or troll anymore..

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
okay, so how is it 1 out of 14? are you saying it won't sell out? you don't count 2012 because hotel packages were available in late March, but you DO count 2010 because tickets sold out in late March? Gotcha. 3 weeks before the fest is hardly 'off-guard', especially since they posted that tickets were almost gone and to get yours soon.

I think a better case could be made that people were more caught off guard in '11 & '12 when tickets sold out in a few days after years of people being able to purchase tickets long after finalizing travel arrangements and getting friends committed to going after the lineup had dropped. Only this year do people realize that this shit is going to sell out quick.

2010 was the ONLY year in the 13 past Coachella's where it was expensive to PURCHASE a wristband on the secondary market in the days/hours before the festival. 11/12 had stuff around face online 2-3 weeks before and cheaper from scalper.

Was the RATM night the only time Coachella stopped selling tickets to any night of the festival prior to 2010?

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
the year RATM played the entire weekend was sold out over two months in advance. there were no single day tickets except for Friday (bjork)

in 2010, there were still tickets available 3 weeks before the fest. that logic doesn't make sense. when it sold out, there were plenty of scalped tickets available, i camped with a large group that had over a dozen buy tickets after sell out, for ticket price in many instances. it was much, much harder to get a ticket for RATM in '07, and tickets were FAR more than scalped tickets the last three years..

SlowMotionApocalypse
11-27-2012, 07:56 PM

I believe alot of the local tickets handed out to chambers of commerce, etc are VIP, and i know a lot of them are kept for comps, i got vip comped by gv in 08

Did anybody other than the tourists really pay in 2008?

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 08:00 PM
yeah, about 55,000.

i was talking about VIP and Comps. except for 2010, they sell 65,000 of the 75,000 capacity. the rest are employees, vendors, security, press, guest list, etc, all of those are comps

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
the year RATM played the entire weekend was sold out over two months in advance. there were no single day tickets except for Friday (bjork)

in 2010, there were still tickets available 3 weeks before the fest. that logic doesn't make sense. when it sold out, there were plenty of scalped tickets available, i camped with a large group that had over a dozen buy tickets after sell out, for ticket price in many instances. it was much, much harder to get a ticket for RATM in '07, and tickets were FAR more than scalped tickets the last three years..

I'm well aware that 2011/12 had regular passes got for over a grand right after the sellout announcement. But prices drop to near face 3-4 weeks before the event, go up online the last week and are a bit under face to find outside the venue/perimeter.

In 2010 there were people walking with signs saying they would pay $500 cash who had difficulty finding tickets.

Was the 2007 the first time where GV had to actually be conscious of capacity rules?

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 08:05 PM
i can't tell if you're real or troll anymore..

Good dialogue here the past hour. Forum members(myself included) being momentarily constructive.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
i was talking about VIP and Comps. except for 2010, they sell 65,000 of the 75,000 capacity. the rest are employees, vendors, security, press, guest list, etc, all of those are comps

I thought they SOLD about 75,000 passes in 10/11. I think 2012 was bumped a bit higher. I think GV were allowed 85 or 90k bodies onsite.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
that was only 2010. 2012 was higher because it was two weekends.

*EDIT*they kept the cuts in '11, so those tickets were probably sold, but they did not go to 75,000. it was really empty on friday in '11 compared to '10.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm well aware that 2011/12 had regular passes got for over a grand right after the sellout announcement. But prices drop to near face 3-4 weeks before the event, go up online the last week and are a bit under face to find outside the venue/perimeter.

In 2010 there were people walking with signs saying they would pay $500 cash who had difficulty finding tickets.

Was the 2007 the first time where GV had to actually be conscious of capacity rules?

i'm talking about 2007. it was much worse than 2010. weekend passes were double. single day tickets just to see Rage were $300-400. it was ridiculous. and it was only because GV advertised it as the only RATM show in the U.S. for the whole year. and right after chella they announced the first ever Rock the Bells w/ Rage & Wu Tang at glen helen, which holds 65,000 also.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 08:46 PM
that was only 2010. 2012 was higher because it was two weekends.

*EDIT*they kept the cuts in '11, so those tickets were probably sold, but they did not go to 75,000. it was really empty on friday in '11 compared to '10.

2009 51k(153,000 in billboard divided by 3)
2010 75k
2011 75k
2012 77k(W1)
2012 80k(W2)

2012 must be a difference in guestlist/media requests. All official Billboard numbers.

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 08:48 PM
i'm talking about 2007. it was much worse than 2010. weekend passes were double. single day tickets just to see Rage were $300-400. it was ridiculous. and it was only because GV advertised it as the only RATM show in the U.S. for the whole year.

Were 3 day passes fetching more than $500 on the street in 2007?

Was the "only US show" thing in any official ads or just media article mumbo jumbo?

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 09:08 PM
The 75-80,000 passes include upwards of 11,000 VIP passes SOLD. 12% of the tickets issued, 25% of the gross.

nbvcide
11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
2009 51k(153,000 in billboard divided by 3)
2010 75k
2011 75k
2012 77k(W1)
2012 80k(W2)

2012 must be a difference in guestlist/media requests. All official Billboard numbers.

are those attendance numbers or tickets sold?

i'm not going to believe for a second that there were more people there this year than in 2010. although there did seem to be more people there wknd 2 than wknd 1.

Were 3 day passes fetching more than $500 on the street in 2007?

Was the "only US show" thing in any official ads or just media article mumbo jumbo?

yes, far more. i remember it being around $600, for the cheapest, like i said about double ticket cost.

i don't remember if it was advertised, but i definitely heard it said in media, maybe rolling stone, idr

Bumblebee
11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
are those attendance numbers or tickets sold?

i'm not going to believe for a second that there were more people there this year than in 2010. although there did seem to be more people there wknd 2 than wknd 1.

2010 had upwards of 10,000 people sneak in. An interviewers asked Tollett about that number and he gave a "I'm not good with numbers" type answer. Suffice to say, security and wristbands were much more sophisticated in 2011.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2010/08/coachella_paul_tollet.php

xuclarockerx
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
what happened to this thread

Miroir Noir
11-28-2012, 07:24 AM
The ultimate Bumblebee concern troll derailment effort.

nbvcide
11-28-2012, 07:29 AM
2010 had upwards of 10,000 people sneak in. An interviewers asked Tollett about that number and he gave a "I'm not good with numbers" type answer. Suffice to say, security and wristbands were much more sophisticated in 2011.

Yes. but almost ALL of those people HAD paid, just to a scalper for a VOIDED wristband. I would be curious to get from GV the number of 'lost' wristbands during shipping, where a customer told Frontgate they never received the wristband, they get shipped a new one, the old one is voided in the system, then the person sells the voided wristband on Craigslist or at the gate.. almost all the people i saw fence jumping had wristbands, they just didn't work. most of the gate rushers were people whose wristband wouldn't scan. I even saw somebody when they were scanning us to leave, he tried to fake it with his and just keep walking, knowing his wristband wouldn't scan, but he was leaving so what were they going to do?

nbvcide
11-28-2012, 07:30 AM
what happened to this thread

the Stones aren't playing.

/thread

fatbastard
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I just see paying to see these guys perform in their current condition.

Bumblebee
11-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Quick name a more successful, quickly selling out concert cruise line that isn't Disney in the last 4 years?.

Backstreet Boys 2013 cruise is sold out and has a waiting list. Spent 30 seconds goofing around with google.

JustSteve
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
i imagine they restructured how they do the wristbands, i doubt they had the heart ones prior to 2010.

In previous years guests would receive a wristband good for stage access or backstage access(no stage), or prior to that just a side stage or main stage wristband. The heart wristband last year was for guests and basically the same as the "backstage" band the year before, same access and all. And comps are all but gone. I recall hearing there being 5,000+/day back in the mid 00's when they were still building the brand, down to fewer than 500 towards the end of the decade, now there are basically zero. Bands get some to hand out to friends, but even some of the smaller groups have a hard time getting enough to cover roadies. Many celebs probably have their management buy the passes for 'em.

SlowMotionApocalypse
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Bad news folks, I just got word this isn't going to happen.

nathanfairchild
12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
thanks for the update shithead.

Eddie S.
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
:puke

suprefan
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM

It's ok, Im going to Glasto.

nbvcide
12-12-2012, 11:27 PM

you saw their shitty performance at 12/12/12 too?

can we have Paulvana please??

fatbastard
12-13-2012, 05:39 AM
After that performance on TV last night, I will certainly skip any future stone shows. I didn’t know they were that bad.

nbvcide
12-13-2012, 11:49 AM
they weren't..but old people age a lot in 6-7 years..

it was the first stones performance i've ever seen that lacked energy and jagger's swagger looked completely forced. glad the set was shortest of the night.

fatbastard
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Mick looked like pruneface.

SlowMotionApocalypse
12-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Glasto doesn't pay enough.

2 shows at Staples Center in March.

Grant
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
After that performance on TV last night, I will certainly skip any future stone shows. I didn’t know they were that bad.

i thought quite the contrary.... i would love them at coachella but someone saying they're not worth 20% of the talent budget kind of has a point. either way, i would like them there this year.

Grant
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
but if we get more bookings like alex clare i say to hell with the talent budget.

nbvcide
12-13-2012, 12:53 PM
you're nuts if you think 10 million is 20% of their talent budget...i'd say, on an average year, that is the entire talent budget (if that).

mrhand
12-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Which flag are you most looking forward to seeing? The one hitting you in the face or the other 300 blocking your view?

Miroir Noir
12-13-2012, 01:03 PM
you're nuts if you think 10 million is 20% of their talent budget...i'd say, on an average year, that is the entire talent budget (if that).

Bumblebee bait

Bumblebee
12-13-2012, 01:11 PM

One press report had the Coachella talent budget at $30m, both weekends. Top 4 headliners getting a rumoured $12 m total.

Stones are getting $5m or so per performance in 2012. It be 6-7 million for both weekends to get them, which is in line with Prince and Macca.

SlowMotionApocalypse
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
One press report had the Coachella talent budget at $30m, both weekends. Top 4 headliners getting a rumoured $12 m total.

Stones are getting $5m or so per performance in 2012. It be 6-7 million for both weekends to get them, which is in line with Prince and Macca.

They want at least 8 million a show now. They hate each other, they hate performing but will do a few shows in 2013 if the pay is alright.

Bumblebee
12-13-2012, 01:23 PM
They want at least 8 million a show now. They hate each other, they hate performing but will do a few shows in 2013 if the pay is alright.

For an arena with 16,000 seats that's $500 per ticket AVERAGE just to get the band there. 40,000 stadium is $200.

Arena shows on bigger bang tour had ticket grosses in the $1.5-2m range.

gaypalmsprings
12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
COACHELLA 2013: Will the Rolling Stones top lineup?According to Rolling Stone, The Rolling Stones posted a tour date for Indio, Calif. in April via the band’s mobile app and then took it down.

Posted on | December 14, 2012
Press Enterprise - by Vanessa Franko

From Rolling Stone:
“A pair of new dates appeared under the tour section of the bands’ mobile app: the first was an April 12th stop in Indio, California, listed as “Coachella 2013.” Fans posted a screengrab on Twitter and various fan sites. By 10:30 a.m. EST, the date was taken down.”

The 2013 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival will have twin editions April 12-14 and April 19-21 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio.

The band has only scheduled a few dates for its 50th anniversary tour, including another night in New Jersey this weekend. They appeared for two songs on the 12-12-12 concert benefit for victims of Sandy.

Keith Richards Rolling Stones
This image released by Starpix shows Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones performing at the 12-12-12 The Concert for Sandy Relief at Madison Square Garden in New York on Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012. Proceeds from the show will be distributed through the Robin Hood Foundation. (AP Photo)

I really thought the Stones were going to play last year after news broke out a while back about contracts with the band and Coachella. Would love to see them live there, too.

So what do you think, readers? Will The Stones headline? Was it a prank? If they are headlining, would you go see them?

Want more Coachella 2013 predictions? I tag all of mine Coachellaology.

Quick catch-up if you’re just joining us: I’ve covered Coachella since 2007 and I posted my first round of predictions, my opening bracket for Coachellaology, if you will, a few weeks ago. The first round of predictions: Mumford and Sons, Deadmau5, Blur and Local Natives. Then, Audio File readers got into the act and second round included the obligatory Daft Punk prediction, plus The Stone Roses, Watch the Throne, Depeche Mode and Eminem. Third round: Nine Inch Nails/How to Destroy Angels, Queens of the Stone Age, Run DMC, Rocket from the Crypt reunion and Passion Pit. Fourth round: Sigur Ros and Pearl Jam, the latter celebrating 20 years since the band’s 1993 show at the Empire Polo Club for promoter Goldenvoice that planted the Coachella seed. Then I posted about Nick Cave, Tegan and Sara and Converge. Just the other day, I predicted the Airborne Toxic Event, too.

http://blog.pe.com/audio-file/2012/12/14/coachella-2013-will-rolling-stones-top-lineup/

icedKeg
12-14-2012, 04:39 PM
If they are headlining, would you go see them?

yes.

nbvcide
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM

so $15 for each weekend, in the must sell two wknds year of Radiohead and Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg..sounds about right.

i lost faith in them at 12-12-12..but they are performing live on ppv tomorrow night, hopefully Coachella didn't make a huge mistake. If it's still the stones i saw in 2005/6, will be a good show, but not giving u any leeway on the other two headliners..

fatbastard
12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
If true, I would like to recommend lip synching.

suprefan
12-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Wait, so this rolling stone writer thinks he is doing something intelligent and forward thinking by doing what this board and cos does by putting rumors/tour dates etc into one place? So what "predictions" is this guy making by looking at what info is avail and pretending he thought of it hinself before anyone else?

InDaGreen
12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Regarding the talent budget, I do wonder if the cost of booking the Stones or any other headliner of that caliber can be offset by increased advertising/marketing revenue.

Bocheli-Maximus
12-15-2012, 12:26 AM
I'll just leave this here: https://twitter.com/JustinLuey/status/279593008867995651/photo/1/large

gaypalmsprings
12-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Rolling Stones rumor excites Coachella Music Festival fans

11:33 PM, Dec 14, 2012 Written by Bruce Fessier, The Desert Sun

The rumor that the Rolling Stones could play Coachella in April would not fade away Friday afternoon.

Rolling Stone magazine’s website reported early Friday that two new dates had appeared under the tour section of the legendary band’s mobile app. One was an April 12 performance in Indio listed as “Coachella 2013.” The other was a documentary titled, “The Rolling Stones: The Ron Wood Years” screening Dec. 27 at the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, N.Y.

Fans posted a screengrab of the Coachella date on Twitter and various fan sites, but by 7:30 a.m., the date was taken down.

MORE COACHELLA: Click here for complete coverage of the Coachella Music Festival, including photo galleries and stories from 2012.

An email query to Coachella founder Paul Tollett seeking confirmation was not returned by press time.

But Spin.com confirmed the Stones documentary will screen Dec. 27 at the Cinema Arts Centre.

Many expensive headliners have performed at Coachella over the years, including Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Roger Waters and Coldplay. But, the last time Coachella lost money was in 2008 when Tollett’s Goldenvoice company added Prince to a lineup that included headliners Waters, Jack Johnson and Portishead.

Tollett often scoffed at rumors that the high-priced Stones would play Coachella. One unconfirmed report to The Desert Sun speculated that the group might be seeking a share of the concessions to play the 2013 festival.

But the addition of a second weekend of the 2012 Coachella brought an infusion of cash to Tollett and Goldenvoice’s parent company, AEG Live. Coachella will run on consecutive weekends again in 2013.

A Thursday afternoon post on the message board on Coachella.com from a commenter called Bumblebee cited a “press report” that Coachella’s talent budget is $30 and that the top four headliners get “a rumored $12 million total.

“Stones are getting $5 million or so performance in 2012,” said Bumblebee. “It be 6-7 million for both weekends to get them, which is in line with Prince and Macca.”

A commenter called Gaypalmsprings said on the website Friday afternoon, “I really thought the Stones were going to play last year after news broke out a while back about contracts with the band and Coachella. Would love to see them live.”

The Stones have scheduled only a limited number of performances in England and the United States in celebration of their 50th anniversary, but Rolling Stone cited an October interview with guitarist Keith Richards saying, “We ain’t doing all this for four gigs!”

The Coachella Music and Arts Festival is scheduled to run April 12-14 and April 19-21 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio. The acts are usually announced around the third weekend in January.

Contact Bruce Fessier at bruce.fessier@the desertsun.com and on Twitter @brucefessier

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20121214/LIFESTYLES010102/312140007/

IceyHotshot
12-15-2012, 09:02 AM
They also cited Bumblebee though...

gaypalmsprings
12-15-2012, 09:07 AM
I didn't cite my source correctly, and I didn't provide that quote. I just sent an email of apology to Bruce. The link to the quote is http://blog.pe.com/audio-file/2012/12/14/coachella-2013-will-rolling-stones-top-lineup/

fibes
12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
haha I just found that article online and came running in here to see if anyone posted it yet.

Bumblebee a legit source, confirmed.

I wonder if they even realized your name gaypalmsprings, or just glazed over it.

shakermaker113
12-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Many expensive headliners have performed at Coachella over the years, including Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Roger Waters and Coldplay.

why is coldplay one of the four headliners they chose to name?

Bumblebee
12-15-2012, 09:40 AM
They also cited Bumblebee though...

I don't know what to think.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rolling-stones-tour-concert-london-brooklyn-366790
These $$ quotes are bigger than mine and from better sources. PPV and Brooklyn are not included.

$ numbers for Mcacrtney Chella, Prince Chella and Eminem Lolla have been published by news outlets but always anonymous sources. There was an interesting article from Australia citing promoters throwing money at headliners to make the flight. Then there's the Morrissey $5m single weekend coachella Smiths reunion quote...

The $12 mil number comes from estimates and other posts on the forum. Same with $30m total talent budget, which is in line with a confirmed $54m total ticket gross.

santasutt
12-15-2012, 09:46 AM

This pretty much confirms it then: the Stones are playing!

gaypalmsprings
12-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I say they will play Coachella, and they will up the admissions by 10,000 per weekend to help defer the costs. But then who am I to say, I'm no Bumblebee.

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/10/2/e8239784-f8f5-42a4-8146-2cb7176d7944.jpg

nbvcide
12-15-2012, 11:50 AM
i have my doubts about the Stones now, having seen their performance at 12-12-12, but they're on ppv tonight i believe, so we should be finding out shortly whether or not coachella made a big mistake.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 06:03 AM
I say they will play Coachella, and they will up the admissions by 10,000 per weekend to help defer the costs. But then who am I to say, I'm no Bumblebee.

you don't think an $50 or so increase in ticket prices defers those costs at all?

here is an interesting link to the Stones Official App that for the past week fans have been using the app to vote for which songs they were going to play last night on ppv. lends more credence to the app leak being from their official people and not a glitch.

also, has anybody seen last night's ppv?? i'm really interested in finding out if they sucked or not.

Bumblebee
12-16-2012, 06:34 AM
here is an interesting link to the Stones Official App that for the past week fans have been using the app to vote for which songs they were going to play last night on ppv. lends more credence to the app leak being from their official people and not a glitch.

Though crossed my mind that the Coachella leak by the Stones for added PPV exposure was intentional. Their 3-4 NYC area appearances obviously got overshadowed by all the 121212 stuff.

Bumblebee
12-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Regarding the talent budget, I do wonder if the cost of booking the Stones or any other headliner of that caliber can be offset by increased advertising/marketing revenue.

GV can afford them, but it might mean a couple fewer awesome mid-tier acts.

Coachella being relatively free of advertising seems to be one fo the very few self imposed GV rules they refuse to break. GV openly welcome the corparate advertising orgy at Stagecoach.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 06:56 AM
GV can afford them, but it might mean a couple fewer awesome mid-tier acts.

Coachella being relatively free of advertising seems to be one fo the very few self imposed GV rules they refuse to break. GV openly welcome the corparate advertising orgy at Stagecoach.

while i agree that the huge Toyota Tundra banner across Mane Stage. and turning the Gobi into the ABC/SoapNet tent, with the rest of the tent being massages. and instead of the Energy Factory (which i hate, for sound bleed reasons, put it back into the a/c'd tent) they have a green-screen get your picture taken with Brooks & Dunn sponsored by Toyota....the Heineken labels on all advertising, the beer gardens, and the dome is the same equivalent imo.

and like i've said before, if it means fewer awesome mid-tier acts, then i'm not on board. if they can raise the funds to cover the Stones cost without marginalizing the talent budget for the remainder of the festival, then fine. that money could be spent better elsewhere. i think the Stones are cheaper than ever before this time around, and as a businessman Paul probably wants to jump on that.

it will sell out (it would have anyway, without the Stones) and it will be Oldchella FARRRRR more than in '09 with Macca. the only hope will be it selling out to chella fans so quick, Stones fans won't have time to buy tickets. But Stones fans ARE the ones that can afford all those high-priced scalper tickets that went unsold this year. So it will be more crowded than wknd1 this year.

Bumblebee
12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
and like i've said before, if it means fewer awesome mid-tier acts, then i'm not on board. if they can raise the funds to cover the Stones cost without marginalizing the talent budget for the remainder of the festival, then fine. that money could be spent better elsewhere. i think the Stones are cheaper than ever before this time around, and as a businessman Paul probably wants to jump on that.

it will sell out (it would have anyway, without the Stones) and it will be Oldchella FARRRRR more than in '09 with Macca. the only hope will be it selling out to chella fans so quick, Stones fans won't have time to buy tickets. But Stones fans ARE the ones that can afford all those high-priced scalper tickets that went unsold this year. So it will be more crowded than wknd1 this year.

Here's the lowest boxscore I could find with a quick glance of some 2006 dates. All of the 2012 shows probably did over $5m each. Stones shows are now a very finite resource, with limited cities and no full tours(I think it'll be more like McCartney/Prince tours) and no crazy over the top stage.

The Rolling Stones
Alltel Arena
North Little Rock, Ark.
March 9, 2006
$2,132,400
$350, $60
Concert Productions International/The Next Adventure

I'm curious if the lack of single day tickets and all the parking/hotel/heat/3 day hassles will scare away Stones hardcore. I also wonder about if there are other dates in that part of the world.

MotorAve
12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
The $12 mil number comes from estimates and other posts on the forum.

$2 million is pretty standard pay for top headliners at virtually all major American festivals, including Coachella. That's $6 million for the top 3 at your typical single-weekend festival. Whether Coachella pays double for two weekends, and what their total budget is, I don't know. Assume $12 mil for the top 3 over two weekends. The Stones appear to get about $6M/show, at least on this current run. Assume Coachella's paying for two shows. That's their whole headliner budget on a single act in which many of their core demographic have no particular interest.

Oh, and logic aside, they aren't playing anyway, so I can advise that all this time you and I are expending is wasted.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 07:18 AM
dammit bumblebee, if you're going to be the source for legitimate press you can't go changing your opinion just because you saw some new figures. it makes it difficult for me when i try to quote you lolz

but, for the record, North Little Rock Arkansas is not the same thing as only LA-area appearance.

Bumblebee
12-16-2012, 07:30 AM
dammit bumblebee, if you're going to be the source for legitimate press you can't go changing your opinion just because you saw some new figures. it makes it difficult for me when i try to quote you lolz

I only brought up Little Rock to go against your claim of them playing for "cheap". GV has some pull with the Stones because the group wants exposure to a younger audience - see Gaga and Black Keys guest spots this week.

They cant sustain NYC/London prices as that drew from fans worldwide and were aggressively promoted.

MotorAve
12-16-2012, 07:37 AM
GV has some pull with the Stones because the group wants exposure to a younger audience

You know what the Stones want? No, you don't know anything. All of these rationales you come up with are of your own estimation/invention, and they are typically wrong.

The Stones are not playing Coachella.

heart cooks brain
12-16-2012, 07:46 AM
No one is going to call nbv on his '$80 ticket increase' bullshit?

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 07:52 AM
I only brought up Little Rock to go against your claim of them playing for "cheap". GV has some pull with the Stones because the group wants exposure to a younger audience - see Gaga and Black Keys guest spots this week.

They cant sustain NYC/London prices as that drew from fans worldwide and were aggressively promoted.

i only used the word 'cheap' because you made a solid claim two weeks ago to me in this thread that they aren't selling like they were in '05/'06, the last time they toured. you specifically said several NYC-area shows didn't sell out. If your opinion has changed due to the emergence of this year's numbers, cool.

LA can sustain NYC/London prices.

Coachella is a heavy promotion in itself, and draws attendees from around the world.

They are announcing several more dates in the coming year. I think it would be a full tour, but they are too old to play that many dates. and i predict they don't announce the new reunion dates until after Coachella's lineup is announced. Is the only reason to not announce them, festival dates being many of them perhaps. Bonnaroo i could see getting them as well.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 07:54 AM
No one is going to call nbv on his '$80 ticket increase' bullshit?

you're right, the new ticket price is fee inclusive. so what $50?

get off my dick and quit begging others to do your work for ya in every thread. if you don't have the balls to do it yourself, then shut the fuck up.

heart cooks brain
12-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I believe i just did it.

My surprise was re: your post standing unquestioned over night.

Lastly, i believe the price increase was between $13 and $35 depending on when you purchased your ticket last year. Really, its been discussed ad nauseum, and i really shouldn't have to bring it up at all.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Though crossed my mind that the Coachella leak by the Stones for added PPV exposure was intentional. Their 3-4 NYC area appearances obviously got overshadowed by all the 121212 stuff.

i don't buy it... the ppv was world wide, as was the 12-12-12 show. if the leak was only about ppv sales, they could have played another song or two at the benefit and gotten far more exposure than a rollingstone.com article.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I believe i just did it.

My surprise was re: your post standing unquestioned over night.

Lastly, i believe the price increase was between $13 and $35 depending on when you purchased your ticket last year. Really, its been discussed ad nauseum, and i really shouldn't have to bring it up at all.

Okay, NOW you have done what you claimed to have done.

and it wasn't up overnight, i posted it two hours ago.

what's that amount times two weekends? sorry for saying they are earning $15-35 times two, instead of saying $15-35 times 65,000. what the fuck ever.

MotorAve
12-16-2012, 08:49 AM
i don't buy it... the ppv was world wide, as was the 12-12-12 show. if the leak was only about ppv sales, they could have played another song or two at the benefit and gotten far more exposure than a rollingstone.com article.

They only played 2 songs at the benefit for the same (partial) reason they have guests on stage for the same reason Mick was out of breath after singing one song at the White House a few months ago for the same reason they aren't doing a full tour anymore - they're 70 years old.

When they play the West Coast, it's going to be at a time, in a (likely indoor) place, and on a stage of their choosing, at prices (including merch and concessions deals) of their choosing, and before an audience composed primarily of adoring superfans already well familiar with the material and ready to lap up pretty much anything they play, not a bunch of snotty twentysomethings who might fuck off to see some EDM act after three songs.

The Stones are not playing Coachella (or Bonnaroo). Fact.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 08:54 AM
hehe i agree with all of that, except for them not playing..

how hard would it be to have two merch stands, one selling only rolling stones product, all 3 days, that they receive 100% of the proceeds from?

i don't see how they would have any right to the concessions, since they are all vendors, not arena snack bars.

chbludevil
12-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I authorized the pay per view show last night and one aspect of the show that I found particularly surprising is that the new songs actually sounded pretty good live. I wasn't so hot on them when they got released a few weeks ago, but when done live I thought they worked pretty well. On another note, if they do play Coachella I hope they roll out a few guest stars, the guests really seem to bring out the best in them.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 09:35 AM
i'm positive they will bring guests, and it's great to finally hear from someone who watched it.

what i'm curious about, did Mick still have the energy of the last few tours, or did the age start to show. 12-12-12 was not a very good performance, how would you compare it to that?

chbludevil
12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Mick was great and he has an unfathomable well of energy for a 70 year old man. I am 31 years old and work out on almost a daily basis and I would say he might possibly be in better shape than me. I have no idea how he does it.

chbludevil
12-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I do agree with you that 121212 was very underwhelming (I thought pretty much the whole show besides Waters and McVana was not that great) and I think it might be due to the fact that the Stones normally take a few songs to warm up (usually 4-5 songs) before they start getting in the groove, I've seen them 8 times in my life and I have found that to always be the case.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 09:42 AM
maybe the other two headliners will be Black Keys & Lady Gaga and it will works itself all out lolz

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I do agree with you that 121212 was very underwhelming (I thought pretty much the whole show besides Waters and McVana was not that great) and I think it might be due to the fact that the Stones normally take a few songs too warm up before they start getting in the groove, I've seen them 8 times in my life and I have found that to always be the case.

that makes sense..however, i disagree about the rest of the 121212 show (although Waters & McVana were the best parts). the only thing as disappointing as the Stones performance is whatever was wrong with the kanye set, and the finale.

chbludevil
12-16-2012, 09:47 AM
that makes sense..however, i disagree about the rest of the 121212 show (although Waters & McVana were the best parts). the only thing as disappointing as the Stones performance is whatever was wrong with the kanye set, and the finale.

Relative to how much I enjoyed Waters and McVana that is. But Clapton was also very good, The Who can still bring it, and Stipe at the end was a nice touch

chbludevil
12-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Plus on 121212 they played 'You Got Me Rocking' as one of their two choices and I really don't like that song at all and they always play that one live, thankfully they usually get it out of the way in the first few songs whenever I have seen them.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 09:50 AM
i was more surprised and delighted with Stipe than with Vedder's appearance, in the end..

xuclarockerx
12-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Even if the Stones play Coachella, I can't imagine them not playing other area shows as well. So the idea that all the Stones diehards would buy the scalped tickets or the VIP hotel packages, does not stand up.

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 02:57 PM
that's ridiculous. LA area Stones fans still would. VIP hotel packages aren't going to be more than traveling elsewhere and still needing hotel/airfare packages. LA area fans is all you need to sell it out. Thank god international fans buy early, but weekend two was obviously LA-heavy. I imagine a couple thousand scalped tickets were purchased after the 2Pac hologram broke over mainstream media. If no international fans bought tickets, Coachella could still sell out with local ticket buyers, even without the Stones.

xuclarockerx
12-16-2012, 05:08 PM
By area shows I mean Staples or Dodger Stadium, but OK

nbvcide
12-16-2012, 08:04 PM
if they are getting the Stones, the smart thing would be for GV to book them a show at the Coliseum but don't announce the date until Coachella tickets are sold out, and have it be only other socal appearance.

fibes
12-17-2012, 05:35 AM
The stones could sell out two LA area shows between the coachella weekends after the lineup is out and sells out i would think.

Spooks
12-17-2012, 06:14 AM
2013 tour announcement coming soon...

heart cooks brain
12-17-2012, 06:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o

concertgoer
12-17-2012, 06:24 AM

How soon?
Perhaps early January?
:)

concertgoer
12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Oh and the Saturday show was fantastic. It was easily the best Stones show that I have seen. The Stones on the polo fields was be amazing.

MotorAve
12-17-2012, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't expact an announcement any time "soon." They can announce just a few weeks out, and my understanding is that no shows have even been booked yet.

heart cooks brain
12-17-2012, 06:30 AM
I wouldn't expact an announcement any time "soon." They can announce just a few weeks out, and my understanding is that no shows have even been booked yet.

''douche''

spooks, fuckwit that he is, is actually a reliable source.

MotorAve
12-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Yeah, you'll figure this shit out some day, fuckhead.

heart cooks brain
12-17-2012, 06:36 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100320225506/en.futurama/images/1/11/Vlcsnap-2010-03-20-23h47m25s217.png

MotorAve
12-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Party on, Wayne

heart cooks brain
12-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Party on, Wayne

happy shoe scraping day to all!

nbvcide
12-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh and the Saturday show was fantastic. It was easily the best Stones show that I have seen. The Stones on the polo fields was be amazing.

hmmm, well that's good to hear. i just found a d/l link for it, so i'll give it a watch. if i was planning on watching them at chella, i wouldn't watch this so close to the festival, but i know there is no way i'm going to spend that long at Main missing a dozen or two sets in the process..especially after dark. Unless it's a super light day like Waters in '08.

and it's not like that set won't be recorded. it may be more enjoyable watching the webfeed than dealing with the insanely large crowd they'll have..hopefully enough Stones fans will buy 3day passes and only come a day and a half, that the rest of the weekend will be not so crowded..

Bumblebee
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM
If the do shows in the US it'll be arenas. They can experiment with Streisand level pricing and don't have to take on the expense/insurance/commitment of a big stadium stage.

GV/AEG control the O2 arena in London and Staples in LA. So they already have an inside track and leverage in a negotiation.

The big question for me is how non-Coachella dates in the LA area get announced and how a couple thousand Stones only fans affect the festival. If the Stones are on the poster at all in 3-4 weeks.

MotorAve
12-17-2012, 04:40 PM
If the do shows in the US it'll be arenas.

Arenas are their preference, but I would expect some stadium shows as well (though you're likely right that Staples is the play in LA).

fatbastard
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM

How old are you? Trying to figure how many Stone shows you have seen,

xuclarockerx
12-17-2012, 11:54 PM
I hope they'll do a stadium show in LA :-/ I mean the concept of 'venue intimacy' is long gone so the bigger the better in my mind...

suprefan
12-18-2012, 12:15 AM
I hope they'll do a stadium show in LA :-/ I mean the concept of 'venue intimacy' is long gone so the bigger the better in my mind...

Youre going to spend your woodystock budget on Stones tickets ya know.

MotorAve
12-18-2012, 06:11 AM
I would guess that LA will see arena or amphitheater, not stadium, shows. AT&T Park and Yankee Stadium, maybe. A number of smaller markets as well, but I'm not sure how many they're going to hit.

Bumblebee
12-19-2012, 10:42 PM
What would be a good mainstage possible subheadliner to play the time slot before the Stones?

Blur OR Stone Roses could work.

Jack White?

There's several rumoured 2013 acts that would be a BAAAD fit. Wu-Tang, Culture Club or Daft fans all fighting for a spot near the stage would be quite funny to watch. The DFA79/Duran/Strokes/Kanye crowd transitions were quite weird.

MotorAve
12-20-2012, 08:27 AM
What would be a good mainstage possible subheadliner to play the time slot before the Stones?

Dumbo the Flying Elephant