PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't Bowie Ever Play Coachella?

SlowMotionApocalypse
06-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I thought for sure he was gonna play in April 2004 but did the Greek and Pond instead.

Greek was great, Pond was lame. Santa Barbara...hate that place.

2002 with the Low/Heathen set would have been cool but I don't think he got moving til May or June. Or fall 1999 when he did only a few shows for Hours.

I am starting to think he will never play.

Please discuss.

H_is_O
06-14-2012, 11:12 AM
BRO, what are you talking about hes going to be playing 2013 with OUTKAST AND DAFT PUNK

DUHZ!!!!

amyzzz
06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
GV must have blown their wad on Radiohead, Pixies, and The Cure that year. Isn't Bowie retired?

Rolwolf
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I donít think heís ever formally addressed whether he plans to continue his music career or not, but itís been almost a decade since his last tour (maybe even live performance, Iím not sure), so that more or less constitutes retirement. Who knows though - If he does ever chose to play again, I would think a handful of farewell shows at big festivals would make more sense than a full-fledged tour for someone of his age, health, and lifestyle.

Riggins33
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
David Bowie the actor?

nyarlathotoats
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
BRO, what are you talking about hes going to be playing 2013 with OUTKAST AND DAFT PUNK

DUHZ!!!!

As awesome as this combo would be, I think GV would have to get just one of those a year, otherwise why continue with Coachella?

tyles
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
There was a recent article I read where it was mentioned where he wasn't too thrilled with the idea of doing a tour (or shows) and singing the old hits and riding a wave of nostalgia.

I think at this point, it's most likely never going to happen.

As to why he never did when he was doing shows, I'm guesing his asking price was way more than what GV could offer at the time. Or scheduling differences.

Pumpkinhead33
06-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I was just going to make a post about how his voice is probably not that great these days and the performance could end up being a let down. But then I watched a live performance of Heroes from a few years back and that shut me up. He still sounds pretty amazing.

SlowMotionApocalypse
06-15-2012, 09:15 AM
There was a recent article I read where it was mentioned where he wasn't too thrilled with the idea of doing a tour (or shows) and singing the old hits and riding a wave of nostalgia.

I think at this point, it's most likely never going to happen.

As to why he never did when he was doing shows, I'm guesing his asking price was way more than what GV could offer at the time. Or scheduling differences.

He can take a big paycheck and do a hits set on the mainstage or he can also just do something low key in the Mojave Tent - he did a few drum n bass sets at festivals on the Earthling tour.

xuclarockerx
06-15-2012, 09:19 AM
lol @ overflowing Mojave for "David Bowie"

lehorne
06-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Don’t forget the Wiltern show in ’04, in which I attended. Three rows from the very back, mind, but was still there and will always remember how beautiful the encore of ‘Five Years’ looked as Bowie strummed the guitar alone onstage with a magnificent video backdrop.

And I truly believe that beauty is one of the reasons he’s now retired as his image has always been centered around it. I mean, Bowie’s never been onstage looking like a overweight, bearded turd or something. He’s aged a lot with the health problems and I just can’t see him out there with a makeup’d Grampa look.

I think the only way he tours again is in some type of orchestra setting where he’s contributing instrumentally and vocally, but more low key than his traditional rock star front-and-center stage prowling approach. Like a “Berlin Years” show (Low/Heroes/Lodger) at the Hollywood Bowl with some new album tracks mixed in. That would be fucking ace actually and would go see him again. I kind of doubt this will happen, but it’d be the most likely scenario for a return to Stage.

One of my very favorite Bowie songs and mental soundtrack to my trip to Spain and their bull fighting rings a few summers ago. It didn’t even make the album cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyICmx7ZMeY

JustSteve
06-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Didn't do Coachella because he wasn't sure about the handjob clause in fine print at the bottom of the contract.

GuyInTucson
06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I can see it on the poster now, second line:

David Bowie (Special Dubstep DJ set)

Mugwog
06-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Bowie would clearly be cooler than dubstep and be doing a glitch set

Bumblebee
06-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I donít think heís ever formally addressed whether he plans to continue his music career or not, but itís been almost a decade since his last tour (maybe even live performance, Iím not sure), so that more or less constitutes retirement. Who knows though - If he does ever chose to play again, I would think a handful of farewell shows at big festivals would make more sense than a full-fledged tour for someone of his age, health, and lifestyle.

He did a couple performing cameos in 2005/2006. AFAIK, he hasn't done any interview or the public hasn't heard his speaking/singing voice since early 2007 or so.

His wife Iman has said something along the lines of "I'm married to David Jones, David Bowie no longer exists".

I saw him 10 times from the mid 90's to 2004. Deep down I know he's done with concerts/albums.

2004 was his only realistic chance of playing - he got booked for a number of festivals in Europe that summer. GV had a big enough budget at the time to book Radiohead for their only US appearance of 2004. I will say that the 2003-2004 tour begun it's itinerary preparation sometime in late 2001/early 2002, so Coachella wouldn't have been on the radar of a major Live Nation booked world tour.

fatbastard
06-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Do young people even have an interest of seeing him live?

H_is_O
06-15-2012, 01:27 PM
I do

Bumblebee
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Do young people even have an interest of seeing him live?

Lots of young people at the shows I saw in 2004. Don't see that changing.

Mugwog
06-15-2012, 02:25 PM
That was almost 10 years ago

To make Bowie relevant to the youth again we would have to do a dubstep remix of space oddity by skrillex

mrhand
06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/06/david-bowie-s-vanishing-act-and-looming-return.html

Larry Farnsworth
06-16-2012, 09:21 AM
...because they were waiting to book him for 2013, obviously.

gaypalmsprings
06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Is this a riddle?

travelfan
06-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I can see it on the poster now, second line:

David Bowie (Special Dubstep DJ set)

But will he play Le7els??!?!

Ardentbiscuit
06-17-2012, 07:56 AM
I could imagine Bowie agreeing to direct his own hologram at Coachella, that's about it.

anonimouse
06-18-2012, 07:56 AM
i've got a great idea for his set. so like, around headliner time (say 7pm or so) all bands/DJs will slowly fade out as david bowie slowly fades in on the sound systems throughout the fields. then he takes the main stage and on all other stages will broadcast video from the main stage (overflow tents lolz).

the show will then end around 9pm ensuring that everyone can make it home in time for Jay Leno reruns

Ardentbiscuit
06-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Going with the hologram idea, I think it would be amazing if someone else is playing (eg. Tina Turner) and as her set ends she says I have a special guest and the David Bowie hologram comes and she starts to sing Modern Love with the hologram. Part way into the song the real Bowie emerges with his entourage of dancers and performers and the hologram vaporizes and then he takes over and does a full set.

Bumblebee
06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I could imagine Bowie agreeing to direct his own hologram at Coachella, that's about it.

I serious wonder if audience members can take a hologram of a living performer seriously.

xuclarockerx
06-18-2012, 11:30 AM
i herd on my local newz that jimi hendrix is next 4 hologram

anonimouse
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Going with the hologram idea, I think it would be amazing if someone else is playing (eg. Tina Turner) and as her set ends she says I have a special guest and the David Bowie hologram comes and she starts to sing Modern Love with the hologram. Part way into the song the real Bowie emerges with his entourage of dancers and performers and the hologram vaporizes and then he takes over and does a full set.

and then grace jones tries to kill him with a fly fishing rod with poison butterflies and when unsuccessful (because you cant kill david bowie) she then zipline's away from the top of the main stage to a getaway convertible driven by morrissey

Ardentbiscuit
06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I was being silly, personally I think the holograms and/or projected performances are lame. If I am going to bother to cart my ass out to Indio I better see something real otherwise I say leave it for the home or at the very most Imax equipped or similar cinemas.

I don't foresee Bowie ever playing Coachella but maybe. Who knows.

From what I've read of Bowie it seems like he think it's insane that he could be considered a super star and probably doesn't even fully realize how important he is to people.

nbvcide
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
That was almost 10 years ago

To make Bowie relevant to the youth again we would have to do a dubstep remix of space oddity by skrillex

well...yeah. thats what Bowie did, the male version of Madonna, constantly re-inventing himself. 90's duets with trent reznor, david lynch soundtracks. ten years ago he was headlining(?) Area, a touring rave massive, alongside Moby, Blue Man Group, Busta Rhymes, John Digweed, The Avalanches, TiŽsto, Dieselboy, & DJ Dan. If he was performing nowadays, he'd be playing Coachella. Cuz that's what's cool at the moment.

scbme5
07-27-2012, 06:42 AM
he should be there as long as he plays Magic Dance

SmellyBath
07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Bowie's never gonna do it. his skin is much too dry for the climate. doctors orders.

Dede' Arneaux
07-28-2012, 06:04 AM
He can take a big paycheck and do a hits set on the mainstage or he can also just do something low key in the Mojave Tent - he did a few drum n bass sets at festivals on the Earthling tour.

Not if his heart can't stand the pace. IIRC heart trouble in early '05 caused the cancellation of uk festival appearances

Dede' Arneaux
08-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Bowie among a list of artists that turned down the opportunity to play at the Olympics Closing Ceremony ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/13/david-bowie-olympics-closing-ceremony?CMP=twt_gu

Dede' Arneaux
08-15-2012, 01:30 PM
David Bowie turned down the offer to sign off Sunday night's Olympic Games closing ceremony with a performance of Heroes, one of several high-profile acts who passed up the chance to perform in front of a global TV audience of hundreds of millions at the finale of London 2012.

Organisers of the £15m show had also hoped to persuade the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols to appear in what was intended to be a history of British music. Even the Who, who did close the Games with a medley ending with My Generation, turned down the request to play twice, according to industry sources. But a decision by the band to announce a US tour in July swayed them, given the scale of the promotional opportunity.

The three-hour show featuring Elbow, Take That and another Spice Girls reunion was watched by an average of 23.2m viewers, making it marginally more popular than the £27m opening ceremony two weeks earlier. Viewing peaked at 26.3m on the night, although the event, which garnered a more mixed reception than Danny Boyle's show, would have been helped by its Sunday night slot, when people are more likely to be at home.

As for Bowie, the 65-year-old has not toured since 2006, and it was always an ambitious request to try to persuade him to participate, even if Heroes was used as an unofficial anthem for Team GB during the Games. Although he closely monitors his own press coverage, Bowie, now based in New York, repeatedly turns down requests to perform or appear in public.

Fans of the singer had to make do with a segment in the middle of the "Symphony for British Music" in which Fashion was played against a catwalk sequence featuring Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell Ė one of several recorded sections which suggested that hoped-for performers would not appear.

Six months ago, artist managers and other music industry executives were given a presentation by concert producer Kim Gavin and film composer David Arnold of ambitious plans to showcase the history of British pop music from the 1960s. At that stage, there were few confirmed participants other than an agreement to play John Lennon's Imagine, which formed a centrepiece of the programme.

Kate Bush was among those Gavin and Arnold hoped would appear, and there were rumours in the industry that she had agreed to perform. However, Bush too is reluctant to appear in public. Organisers agreed to play a remix of Running Up That Hill, and the singer released a statement on her website on Monday praising a "brilliant show".

bganch
08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
I was being silly, personally I think the holograms and/or projected performances are lame. If I am going to bother to cart my ass out to Indio I better see something real otherwise I say leave it for the home or at the very most Imax equipped or similar cinemas.

I don't foresee Bowie ever playing Coachella but maybe. Who knows.

From what I've read of Bowie it seems like he think it's insane that he could be considered a super star and probably doesn't even fully realize how important he is to people.

I'd be all for Eric Prydz Presents: EPIC on the mainstage with the hologram above his head... not all holograms suck!

anonimouse
08-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Bowie among a list of artists that turned down the opportunity to play at the Olympics Closing Ceremony ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/13/david-bowie-olympics-closing-ceremony?CMP=twt_gu

i almost shit myself during the closing ceremonies when they started playing one of his songs. i thought it was gonna be this big epic "im back and i still have my voice motherfuckers!" moment, so disappointing. kate bush would have been amazing as well. instead we got the spice girls and way too much Jessie J

that pink floyd bit was bullshit as well. surprised the pistols didnt do it just so they could somehow fuck it up

Dede' Arneaux
08-27-2012, 01:23 PM
i almost shit myself during the closing ceremonies when they started playing one of his songs. i thought it was gonna be this big epic "im back and i still have my voice motherfuckers!" moment, so disappointing.

Me too, I was certain for about 10 secs that he was going to appear and sing

:poo