PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Long Beach

FEELS
06-03-2012, 12:23 PM
So this week I'm making the move to Long Beach... I'm 19 and I don't know anyone at all out there. Any cool places, venues, good eats, etc. around that area I should check out? Also, is anyone on this board from around there? It'd be rad to meet a friend

Mugwog
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Not familiar with Long Beach, but you're a skip between LA and OC - tons of good food in both areas. When you're in OC (Laguna Beach specifically) stop at Taco Laco off PCH and watch a sunset while you grub. Tacos, nachos; basically surfer beach bum grub. Beyond delicious.

gaypalmsprings
06-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Lots of gay bars in LB.

fatbastard
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Blue line takes you straight to staples center.

Newro7ic
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Decent food everywhere, and bars aplenty. Not a lot of venues (Alex's Bar, and Long Beach Convention Center has an arena and theater that has shows on occasion). Long Beach is a big place, so I'm not sure where you are, but it shouldn't be hard to keep yourself entertained.

cutterbutter
06-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm transferring to CSU LB in the fall. End of august is when school starts but still figuring out housing. Once you get the feel for the area you can show me :)

rag and bone
06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Be sure to check out Fingerprints! Very cool record store http://www.fingerprintsmusic.com/

PlayaDelWes
06-03-2012, 03:38 PM
130 miles

good luck

Riggins33
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Long Beach is dope plenty of young people like yourself. Just stay west of the train tracks if you don't wanna get merked.

fatbastard
06-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Breakfast:

Viento y agua has great bagel sandwiches

Park pantry is 1 notch above dennys

Don't go to the Library for coffee if you are allergic to cats

Johnny Rebs is overrated

FEELS
06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion guys..! I'm definitely gonna check out all those places

daneskiiiz
06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
alot of cool young people in long beach, 2nd street has some fun bars like legends and panama joes. tons of good restaurants, and seal beach/huntington are very close by as well

ambient sounds
06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
^nope stay away from 2nd street. For the most part lots of bro's hang around there. There's cool stuff on 4th street. Its kinda where most of the arty stuff in town is and its where all the "cool kids" hang out. Long beach also has its own kinda thing going on which is cool. I don't live there but alot of my friends do so there's probably alot of cool things to do that i don't know about. Once you turn 21 there's alot of good dive bars(all along 4th street). There are also alot of random shows if you look for them. Ohh yea, DONT go in the water; unless you're drunk.

drummer333
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Basically stay away from 2nd street all together, Legends and Panama Joes are terrible. 4th street is always a gamble. I've been there like 6 times, and probably 3 of those times someone has gotten stabbed or shot at one of the bars. If you aren't walking up and down the street its fine though. As far as food goes, MVPs makes some of the best burgers around. And Taco Surf has a pretty solid happy hour, mainly cause they have cheap street tacos. for breakfast, the Potholder is like all time. I live right next to CSULB, just graduated from there too.

daneskiiiz
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
not nearly as many bro's on 2nd street as there are in Huntington!

drummer333
06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
not nearly as many bro's on 2nd street as there are in Huntington!

Yeah, Huntington is definitely a no go too haha. I surf down there every morning and even that is hard to handle with the people around there.

hendrixfan143
06-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I live in LB and go to CSULB as far as venues go, there are none. This is ok because LA is soo close. Fingerprints is what LB has to offer as far as music goes. There is tons of things to do in Long Beach. LB is by far my favorite city. and Drummer you shouldn't go posting about MVP's all over the internet. I want it to stay kind of a secret. 4th street has some cool stuff. Go to second street if you want to make fun of drunk people.

drummer333
06-04-2012, 12:27 AM
unfortunately MVP's became much less of a secret when they opened up number 2. Did you go to high school around here, Hendrix?

cutterbutter
06-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Maybe there are some CSULBers in here. Transferring there in the fall and planning on staying in the dorms for the ease of things. If anyone wants to get in on that I have a solid room set with a spot open. Send me a PM.