PDA

View Full Version : 5/17/2012 The Day Coachella Died.

Hedonism
05-18-2012, 01:00 AM
This thread is in commemoration of the great music festival that was once Coachella.

Coachella was once a festival where a person could go and listen to music. Great music. Music that spanned generations and performances that were simply timeless. The lineup was diverse, the accommodations were minimal, but the experience was unforgettable. Hard to believe how far we have come...

Now, here we are. Thursday, May 17 2012. A day that will live in infamy for music lovers. What was once a music festival has transformed into a trendy LA rave. Gone are the days where one could go to discover new music. Coachella 2012's sahara lineup confirms what we have all feared, the era of good music has ended. Get ready to hear more of Levels, Feel So Close, and David Guetta in 2013. I heard all the sahara dj's are going to play a sick remix of Calling. Should be fun. The lineup has not even come out but it almost does not matter what is on it. Expect mainstream garbage. Expect the same lineup as EDC.

Coachella has successfully transformed into a trendy, mainsteam music festival. Have fun, ravers.

ods..
05-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Here's the pro-tip to have a great Coachella: don't go in the Sahara tent now.

lt.roast.a.botch
05-18-2012, 01:06 AM
This thread is in commemoration of the great music festival that was once Coachella.

Coachella was once a festival where a person could go and listen to music. Great music. Music that spanned generations and performances that were simply timeless. The lineup was diverse, the accommodations were minimal, but the experience was unforgettable. Hard to believe how far we have come...

Now, here we are. Thursday, May 17 2012. A day that will live in infamy for music lovers. What was once a music festival has transformed into a trendy LA rave. Gone are the days where one could go to discover new music. Coachella 2012's sahara lineup confirms what we have all feared, the era of good music has ended. Get ready to hear more of Levels, Feel So Close, and David Guetta in 2013. I heard all the sahara dj's are going to play a sick remix of Calling. Should be fun. The lineup has not even come out but it almost does not matter what is on it. Expect mainstream garbage. Expect the same lineup as EDC.

Coachella has successfully transformed into a trendy, mainsteam music festival. Have fun, ravers.

5/17/12 the day hedonism realized he fucked up and missed out on tickets

FEELS
05-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Sounds like you only listen to "underground" electronic music..

Boskodahmer
05-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Are you sure you are not getting older? I have been going for 7 years now and while yes I agree that Sahara has gone downhill, I find myself gravitating towards the other tents more which is nice. I cannot believe you are going to be pissed off because a lot people enjoy electronic music. How can you be mad at someone who is having a good time with their friends and screaming the lyrics to a song. Yes it may be a bro who you despise, but how dare you feel superior to him for liking "better" music than him/her. Coachella is constantly evolving and things change, if Coachella stayed the way it started it would be dead. You sound like an asshole, and you are already assuming that they are booking electronic acts that are terrible. How do you know they are not planning to reunite Talking Heads (yes I know how ridiculous this is) or get Bowie. If they do that, will Coachella be "cool" for you? I hate all this bitching today from everybody, Coachella is a beautiful place and a wonderful experience, the music is a bonus. Just because your mother did not hug you enough as a child does not mean you need to take it out on music festival that really has not done anything wrong to you.

Also what ods... said, stay away from Sahara if you do not want to go there, there is a reason they put it in the corner.

general_rowdy
05-18-2012, 03:04 AM
^

Sahara was fucking garbage this year!

gaypalmsprings
05-18-2012, 04:56 AM

Summarized into one sentence: "I didn't get a thicket."

travelfan
05-18-2012, 05:26 AM
How can you be mad at someone who is having a good time with their friends and screaming the lyrics to a song. Yes it may be a bro who you despise, but how dare you feel superior to him for liking "better" music than him/her.

This is exactly what I don't understand, especially at a festival where there are five options (plus Do Lab and Heineken Dome) at any given time. You don't have to see the act in question, and so just relax and accept that there are a ton of people who enjoy it. "Oh, look at that group of people, they are having the weekend of their lives at THAT set? I pity them, blah blah blah". A) who gives a shit which band it is as long as people are enjoying themselves at Coachella, and B) the man in charge seemed to think the band deserved a Coachella spot and belonged on the lineup, but I guess you know otherwise, right?

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
The Sahara hasn't been excellent overall in years. It certainly hasn't since I started going back. With that being said, 2012 was the first year it was atrocious. 2010 Sahara had Plastikman, Orbital and 2manyDJs; 2011 had Sasha, Shpongle, Sven Všth and The Twelves. I still hold out hope 2013 will have a much better edm lineup and that includes the Sahara.

tigermilkboy
05-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Shakes head and sighs (sigh)

skavenbrew
05-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Yawn

Neighborhood Creep
05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Because there isn't 6 other stages

paulb
05-18-2012, 06:32 AM
He makes a lot of valid points. Im going to miss the days of 2008. Insane acts like Portishead, Kraftwerk, Prince, Roger Waters, to a very empty feeling polo fields, being able to walk from the Sahara to Main stage in half the time it does now, no clusterfucks, just awesome music goers. Now its a struggle to get in to any tent or beer garden.

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 06:36 AM
He makes a lot of valid points. Im going to miss the days of 2008. Insane acts like Portishead, Kraftwerk, Prince, Roger Waters, to a very empty feeling polo fields, being able to walk from the Sahara to Main stage in half the time it does now, no clusterfucks, just awesome music goers. Now its a struggle to get in to any tent or beer garden.

I don't think the days of those types of lineups are over. The size of the crowd doesn't bother me either other than 2010.

paulb
05-18-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't think the days of those types of lineups are over. The size of the crowd doesn't bother me either other than 2010.

I think lineups aren't the problem, its the size of crowd that are now attending blindly, and using Coachella as a place to strictly party and be seen. For me it was about discovering great music I would have otherwise potentially never seen.

tigermilkboy
05-18-2012, 07:07 AM
I think lineups aren't the problem, its the size of crowd that are now attending blindly, and using Coachella as a place to strictly party and be seen. For me it was about discovering great music I would have otherwise potentially never seen.

If someone was saying to you in 2008, that 'Coachella was better in 2003', what would you have said? Stop looking back? I think you are in danger of believing everything was better back then. Things seldom stay the same, the experience changes. Live in the moment and embrace the changes, otherwise you will find yourself becoming the crusty old guy at festivals who complains about 'selling out, the price of water, new acts etc'.

Hawkings
05-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Summarized into one sentence: "I didn't get a thicket."

^this

when i saw the title of the thread, I thought for sure it was going to be, the festival is somehow dead because it sold out pre-sale. Not a thread about how it's too crowded and the EDM sucks. Why the 5/17/12 date if those problems plagued last year? All that said, having smaller crowds definately makes it a better experience

paulb
05-18-2012, 07:27 AM
If someone was saying to you in 2008, that 'Coachella was better in 2003', what would you have said? Stop looking back? I think you are in danger of believing everything was better back then. Things seldom stay the same, the experience changes. Live in the moment and embrace the changes, otherwise you will find yourself becoming the crusty old guy at festivals who complains about 'selling out, the price of water, new acts etc'.

well said, i agree with everything you said. The size of the crowd is my main issue with Coachella, I dont think its gone downhill at all, just the audience its attracted through some questionable bookings.

microcuts
05-18-2012, 07:28 AM
The only tent that truly felt sickeningly packed (and with bros) nearly the entire weekend was the Sahara. I was able to get up on the rail for about a half dozen acts in the Gobi/Mojave and also had speedy entry/service in the Heineken Dome both of the times I checked it out. This was Weekend 2, so perhaps the intense heat/type of attendance affected this in some way.

It seems like the most ridiculous lines I saw were for Water Refill stations (had to have been a 30+ minute wait), when one could just walk up to nearly any vendor and immediately get an ice cold bottle of water for $2.

xuclarockerx
05-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Not enough flaming in this thread

Somewhat Damaged
05-18-2012, 08:03 AM

So now that Coachella's basically sold out in a couple hours, one won't be able to go and listen to music -- nay, great music -- at Coachella anymore? The lineup isn't going to be diverse? They're only going to book Avicii, David Guetta, Skrillex, and the like, for every hour of every stage for all three days of the festival? All of that can be surmised by the majority of the tickets having been purchased already?

Wow. You're like Nostradamus. Be sure to remember this post, guys, so that when the lineup is released in January and Hedonism's prophecy is proven true, we can all bow at his prescient feet.

PlayaDelWes
05-18-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the official death will be December 21, 2012.

SUSHIXXXXX
05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I've been going since 2004 and I still discover lots of new music every year. It's probably because I don't make any real effort to discover new music until the lineup gets announced. This year, I discovered the following acts based on the lineup being released: Miike Snow, Frank Ocean, Grouplove, Givers, Atari Teenage Riot, Wild Flag, Childish Gambino, Big Pink, Real Estate. I haven't set foot in the Sahara since Daft Punk's 2006 set so maybe that's where I went right.

ialvarado2
05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
I never go into the Sahara, that place is nasty.

Ardentbiscuit
05-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Everyone is so overly dramatic.

captncrzy
05-18-2012, 08:48 AM
No surprise. LA is the drama queen capital of the universe.

Miroir Noir
05-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Not enough flaming in this thread

There are so many of these threads right now that even the most dedicated flamers can't keep up.

Larry Farnsworth
05-18-2012, 09:03 AM
I will be attending Coachella in 2013, for the first time ever. I bought my first-ever Coachella tickets on 5/17/2012.

I killed Coachella.

I Am Become Death.

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
well said, i agree with everything you said. The size of the crowd is my main issue with Coachella, I dont think its gone downhill at all, just the audience its attracted through some questionable bookings.

But the expanded grounds helped alleviate the congestion and foot traffic, no? To me, the last two years were fine. The crowd was a minimal issue. In 2010, yeah it was unbearably bad, but they seemed to have fixed those issues.

I really haven't felt like it was crowded at all the past two years.

Sushov23
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Actually I have several friends from here(Palm Springs) who have been going since 02, and they tell me that the experience was very similar from 02-08.The first year they noticed a shift was 09(surprise surprise it was when EDM started blowing up, and the sahara started turning to shit).

Tikiman
05-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Funny, I'm old enough to remember saying Lollapalooza was dead by it's 3rd year. With anything, over time as the novelty wears off of nearly anything, things always seem to get worse. Today's generation EXPECTS things to feel new and different. Heck, by the second weekend most people didn't really get that excited by the Tupac hologram even though they spent a half a million to develop it. So relax dude, everything must be taken in by perspective. If this year was someone's first time, they probably thought the festival was awesome. If you've gone several times you'll always be saying "I remember how great it was that year they did.....".

jackstraw94086
05-18-2012, 09:25 AM
The Sahara hasn't been excellent overall in years. It certainly hasn't since I started going back. With that being said, 2012 was the first year it was atrocious. 2010 Sahara had Plastikman, Orbital and 2manyDJs; 2011 had Sasha, Shpongle, Sven Všth and The Twelves. I still hold out hope 2013 will have a much better edm lineup and that includes the Sahara.

as whiney as the OP is he's right (and the timing of his post pretty much confirms it's about his ticket), your hopes for 2013 I think are weak. Gone are the days when you could have an act like Kraftwerk close Sahara.

The ONLY hope hangs on the dynamics of the festival changing from a financial standpoint. Right now it's a well oiled machine and there's no reason to tinker, not even to make some sort of ironic hipster statement by bringing in obscure acts and placing them prominently in the schedule. EDM is approaching its golden age (from a popularity standpoint) in this country and the labels and promoters are going to cash in on the wave.

SepaGroove
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
But the expanded grounds helped alleviate the congestion and foot traffic, no? To me, the last two years were fine. The crowd was a minimal issue. In 2010, yeah it was unbearably bad, but they seemed to have fixed those issues.

I really haven't felt like it was crowded at all the past two years.

I totally agree. 2010 was the only Coachella that I thought was overcrowded, the past two years I've really had no issue with it at all. Other than the water stations of course.

darthlaker
05-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Coachella is my baby! Stop talking trash about her! Sounds like someone didn't get the presale coachella tickets. Coachella isn't dead. Here's why. No other festival has Dr Dre and Mazzy Star NONE! Radiohead and Modeselektor were EPIC! the whole experience was so bad ass! I've gone to all 13 Coachella's and i will go to my 14th because there is nothing else like it. You go to the KROQ wennie roast then cause that was the worst line up EVER!) nothing else comes close! Nothing!

Sushov23
05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Also the argument that you should avoid the Sahara and you'll be fine, is bullshit. You shouldn't have to avoid a tent at a festival that prides itself on getting a collection of great genre pushing/defining acts.

nyarlathotoats
05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
It seems like the most ridiculous lines I saw were for Water Refill stations (had to have been a 30+ minute wait), when one could just walk up to nearly any vendor and immediately get an ice cold bottle of water for $2.

For reals. The rest of my group waited in line for the refills; they said they waited 20 mins at the most. I was like "fuck that, $2 waters please."

zachyd
05-18-2012, 09:34 AM
I had the most amazing Coachella this past year, and I only stepped in the Sahara tent once, and that was to catch part of SebastiAn's set (which was a good time for sure). I even saw about 50 acts in total. Just depends on the bands you choose to see. I had lots of conflicting bands I had to skip too. Do the research and make a good Coachella for yourself out of the 100 bands they give you. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone.

Larry Farnsworth
05-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't know - and maybe this is just me - but I have no problem with a festival having a few acts that are enormously popular but that I can't stand (or even a tents' worth). While all of brostep legion is raging their balls off at Skrillex or Aviici or Guetta or whatever crap is going on, there will be plenty of space for me at whatever I like. I can't be at all 5 stages at once, so why not use one to attract all the idiots anyway? Coachella is trendy enough where you're going to get plenty of mouthbreathers regardless, so rather than having the dude in the vintage basketball jersey and the snapback "woo"-ing over your shoulder while you're trying to enjoy Slint or Beach House or whatever the fuck, be glad he's fist-pumping in a tent far, far away.

PlayaDelWes
05-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Larry, welcome to the forum. In your first couple of posts, you've said some pretty good stuff. Stick around.

GuyInTucson
Actually I have several friends from here(Palm Springs) who have been going since 02, and they tell me that the experience was very similar from 02-08.The first year they noticed a shift was 09(surprise surprise it was when EDM started blowing up, and the sahara started turning to shit).

I went in 2001, 2002 and 2003 and, yes, the festival is "different" but what's everyone's point? We are a decade away from the "early years". I went from 01-03 and missed some solid years, but anyone who refuses to go because "it's just not the same" is doing nothing more than getting into their own head. It's one thing if you don't like a particular lineup... or if a life changing event arises... or you can't afford to go ... or you want to try something different. But this whole "it's not the same festival anymore" excuse is redundant because I am pretty sure no festival is the same as 10 years ago.

I know a small handful of old friends here in town who are still into the rave scene and used to go to Ultra and DEMF every year in the early 2000's. None of them go anymore because their same gripes about those festivals are the same ones a lot of the regulars here have. "It isn't the same" "It's not about the music" Blah Blah Blah....

It's the same bullshit I heard from the old school ravers and festival goers we used to hang out with 10 years ago. Obviously, people are at the end of the line with Coachella and that's perfectly fine, but this festival has evolved in a positive way over the years, not negatively.

2011, by most accounts, is one of the better years Coachella had. 2012 was a fucking blast... and just because there is one year of an abundance of shitty EDM, doesn't mean that is necessarily the direction the festival is going from now on. I have plenty of confidence that the EDM lineup will improve dramatically.

I went into this year a little less excited than I normally am. Even during day one, there were points early in the day that I wondered if it would be my final year. I had the same thoughts in 2010 as well. Both years ended up delivering despite a few obvious issues. After 2012 was over, I knew I was locked in for 2013.

menikmati
Another bitter thread by some bitter asshole who didn't get selected out of the waiting room to get tickets on time. Too bad.

captncrzy
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't know - and maybe this is just me - but I have no problem with a festival having a few acts that are enormously popular but that I can't stand (or even a tents' worth). While all of brostep legion is raging their balls off at Skrillex or Aviici or Guetta or whatever crap is going on, there will be plenty of space for me at whatever I like. I can't be at all 5 stages at once, so why not use one to attract all the idiots anyway? Coachella is trendy enough where you're going to get plenty of mouthbreathers regardless, so rather than having the dude in the vintage basketball jersey and the snapback "woo"-ing over your shoulder while you're trying to enjoy Slint or Beach House or whatever the fuck, be glad he's fist-pumping in a tent far, far away.

Finally, a worthy noob.

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
as whiney as the OP is he's right (and the timing of his post pretty much confirms it's about his ticket), your hopes for 2013 I think are weak. Gone are the days when you could have an act like Kraftwerk close Sahara.

The ONLY hope hangs on the dynamics of the festival changing from a financial standpoint. Right now it's a well oiled machine and there's no reason to tinker, not even to make some sort of ironic hipster statement by bringing in obscure acts and placing them prominently in the schedule. EDM is approaching its golden age (from a popularity standpoint) in this country and the labels and promoters are going to cash in on the wave.

Dance music is in a similar state as it was 20 years ago when shitty acts like Crystal Waters, Ya Kid K and C and C Music Factory were getting tons of air time. This whole Guetta / SHM / Avicci wera will implode in a few years after it runs its course.

Larry Farnsworth
05-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Larry, welcome to the forum. In your first couple of posts, you've said some pretty good stuff. Stick around.

Just here to show all you squares some class. Yr. welcome.

wstsidela
05-18-2012, 09:50 AM
That's why you never see Mayans in the Sahara tent. They knew this shit would end years ago.

ods..
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Also the argument that you should avoid the Sahara and you'll be fine, is bullshit. You shouldn't have to avoid a tent at a festival that prides itself on getting a collection of great genre pushing/defining acts.

Ahem.

Would I like them to have a few good electronic acts/DJs in the Sahara for me to catch? Sure.

Am I crying about it when I get to fill my schedule with tons of great acts on other stages? Nope.

grichsgang
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
For anything north of Sahara, this was the LEAST crowded of the 4 that I've attended - by far. I walked up in the middle of Squeeze's set and stood comfortably about halfway between the soundboard and the stage - and this is a band that plays the Greek. Selfishly, I'm all for the bro-magnet acts in the Sahara. Makes for a much better festival for rockers like myself.

Larry Farnsworth
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
I suppose that problems could pop up in the Sahara tent if/when there are some good EDM acts, but due to the fact that Red Bull Nation is currently CRUSHING IT BROS all day in there, they simply don't leave and everyone else gets shut out. Like, if you threw a Squarepusher or Actress set on in the middle of a non-stop day of wubble wobble, you'd potentially have a pissed off crowd eagerly awaiting the SICK DROPS and thus, ruining your live music experience.

Also, I'd like to see Squarepusher and Actress in 2013. And Simian Mobile Disco, even if that makes me a brother of the oontz.

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
To be fair, I do understand the gripes of EDM fans. Coachella used to be able to land acts that Insomniac and other promoters could not. 10 years ago you didn't see The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Faithless, Fatboy Slim, Plastikman, Sasha or Digweed playing many Insomniac / Go Ventures / B3Cande / Channel 36 (or any other southern california rave promoters) events. Coachella was able to get them. Now acts like Moby and Royksopp are playing EDC while Coachella gets Afrojack in back to back years.

I just don't think 2012 is going to be the norm. The festival will ALWAYS have popular EDM acts, but I don't think it will be devoid of quality EDM acts like this year was (for the most part).

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Also, I'd like to see Squarepusher and Actress in 2013. And Simian Mobile Disco, even if that makes me a brother of the oontz.

Yeah I agree with the others. Stick around.

jackstraw94086
05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Dance music is in a similar state as it was 20 years ago when shitty acts like Crystal Waters, Ya Kid K and C and C Music Factory were getting tons of air time. This whole Guetta / SHM / Avicci wera will implode in a few years after it runs its course.

I don't see this as analagous to 20 year ago at all. Those old acts you mentioned made money selling albums, air time was what mattered.
Today these guys pack festivals. 20 years ago kids were packing festivals to see Pearl Jam and Beastie Boys and Maaaybe some hip hop acts.
There were no EDM acts at festivals back then. Now they're comfortable on the mainstage.

Yes I agree that acts like Avicii will die out in popularity, but some hybrid of that and whatever kind of live music exists in 10 years will be the aftermath, but who knows if festivals like Coachella will still be around then. In any case that's off in the future. For the next few years it'll be Skrillex and Avicii

Larry Farnsworth
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Since I'm somewhat new to this (I do know what Coachella is, I tend to get oddly excited about the lineups every year even though I never go, and I check out the schedules and get jealous, but that's about it), what is the frequency with main stage EDM acts? Is there one every year (like this year and Swedish Fish Mafia), or is it just something that happens, but not always?

On a related note, if Underworld is there in 2013 (which I fully expect, don't let me down), would they be main stage?

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't see this as analagous to 20 year ago at all. Those old acts you mentioned made money selling albums, air time was what mattered.
Today these guys pack festivals. 20 years ago kids were packing festivals to see Pearl Jam and Beastie Boys and Maaaybe some hip hop acts.
There were no EDM acts at festivals back then. Now they're comfortable on the mainstage.

Yes I agree that acts like Avicii will die out in popularity, but some hybrid of that and whatever kind of live music exists in 10 years will be the aftermath, but who knows if festivals like Coachella will still be around then. In any case that's off in the future. For the next few years it'll be Skrillex and Avicii

You're right but we are only 13 months removed from a year that had Sasha, Sven Vath, Shpongle, Leftfield, The Twelves and several other good EDM acts. It was the year that was so successful it made them say, "Fuck it, let's do it two weekends."

Are we going to get Skrillex, Tiesto, Oakenfold, SHM, Avicii, Afrojack etc...? Absolutely, but I bet it's more like 2011 next year than 2012.

I had this discussion with Captn, Gribbz and Somewhat Damaged last friday night. I could be wrong with this, but it was almost as if 2012 was a trial run for the two weekends and they wanted to be absolutely certain it would sell out. What better way to do that than booking the biggest set of bro-centric DJ's and electronic acts Coachella has ever had?

My hope is that they recognize that they can sellout both weekends no matter who they put on the lineup and they introduce these cheesetards to some electronic music with some depth behind it. Wishful thinking? Grasping for straws? Possibly. But I just don't see 2013 having the same level of EDM trash as 2012.

luckyface
05-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Leftfield played the Mojave. The really great EDM acts that Coachella is still landing every year are starting to appear in that tent with more frequency.

suprefan
05-18-2012, 10:33 AM

You never had issues with the audience at Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza? Lolla is 100 times more mainstream than Coachella ever would be. Just go to ATP from now on and call it a day.

heimer
05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
My hope is that they recognize that they can sellout both weekends no matter who they put on the lineup and they introduce these cheesetards to some electronic music with some depth behind it. Wishful thinking? Grasping for straws? Possibly. But I just don't see 2013 having the same level of Sahara trash as 2012.I was thinking this exact same thing. Definitely hoping 2012 was a trial run, and that we can get back to business as usual (or as close to it as possible).

GuyInTucson
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Leftfield played the Mojave. The really great EDM acts that Coachella is still landing every year are starting to appear in that tent with more frequency.

I wasn't restricting my post to the Sahara though. It was EDM in general. Modeselektor seems to be the top dance act of the weekend according to a few around here. Other than that I haven't heard too much positive feedback regarding anyone outside of them or Breakbot. Other than those two, the EDM was pretty weak no matter the stage. That's 2 acts..... Every other year, regardless of stage, had more than two.

EDIT: realized I incorrectly referenced the Sahara in that post. Edited it.

Vic Viper
05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
coachella is fine. sorry you didn't get tix.

euphonicfiend
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Coachella is totally dead. No one should go.. Its just sooo popular now. I agree. I definitely didn't get my presale right at 10am and I am not pretty much already packed. Why would I want to do that? Its just not the same.. nope it has become something terrible. I agree 100%.!

I don't see the point in trying to change the minds of these people who are "over coachella" IMO I think its great. Go on hate it. Leave it to the folks who have always and will always love it.

hippityhip
05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Coachella has changed a lot over time. My first was in 2004. If you look at the line up for 2004 you can understand why I was hooked and went 9 years straight. I've seen it go from amazeball line ups with single day tickets to a three day clusterfuck. I think the biggest difference now is the people who attend. Like others have stated it is quickly becoming a place to be seen or to say you have been to. That's fine and I'm happy GV/Coachella has reached this level of success. It's just starting to turn into not my kind of thing. It happened with the rave scene in LA too. I remember the days when EDC was 20k max and it was held in awesome locations all different every year. now that turned into the must see/be at EDM event. The crowd it brings is lame. The old rave scene and people have moved on. It happens.

Yesterday I came home about 1pm ready to get my weekend 1 on payment plan. Saw there were only GA w/ shuttle pass left. I quickly understood what was happening. Called a friend and told them what was happening asked if they wanted to go to weekend 2. We both had the same reaction and decided to not buy. Sure enough about 15 minutes later every ticket was gone and you know what? I didn't care.

If I get a ticket in January cool I'll be happy. If not then that's fine time to move on to other shows. I've been wanting to check out ATP. maybe that's what I'll do.

Larry Farnsworth
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Coachella has changed a lot over time. My first was in 2004. If you look at the line up for 2004 you can understand why I was hooked and went 9 years straight.

Look, I love Howie Day too, but let's not get emotional here.

Vic Viper
05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Yesterday I came home about 1pm ready to get my weekend 1 on payment plan. Saw there were only GA w/ shuttle pass left. I quickly understood what was happening. Called a friend and told them what was happening asked if they wanted to go to weekend 2. We both had the same reaction and decided to not buy. Sure enough about 15 minutes later every ticket was gone and you know what? I didn't care.

so you made the decision not to buy tickets at all once you saw that tickets were in fact still available? makes sense.

heart cooks brain
05-18-2012, 12:32 PM
For reals. The rest of my group waited in line for the refills; they said they waited 20 mins at the most. I was like "fuck that, $2 waters please."

srsly. you buy a bottle of water at cvs it's going to cost $1.50 anyway. what the big fuckin' deal, bros?

HandBanana
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Does this sort of thing happen on other festival boards or do we just have a unique culture here?

heart cooks brain
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
it's pretty unique, as far as i can tell.

TomAz
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
The perception that the coachella crowd is worse these days has more to do with people's perspectives changing than anything else. They now complain about the bros they used to be.

hippityhip
05-18-2012, 12:56 PM
so you made the decision not to buy tickets at all once you saw that tickets were in fact still available? makes sense.

Exactly. It is about 5 of us who make Coachella happen every year. We were all on board to buy for weekend 1. None of us knew it would sell out in a few hours. We were all going to decide the best route ie camping or condo etc., and buy the tickets at the same time. I didn't want to buy 2 tickets for weekend one then be stuck with friends not getting the same weekend. That's why I called my friend to see what we should do. Unfortunately stalling on the phone for 10 minutes deciding cost us a chance to agree on buying tickets for everyone weekend 2. Oh well. We will try in January and if it doesn't happen then I'm sure right before the party if we really still wanna go we can find wristbands then. Not too much of a big deal for me.

IlliniQ
05-18-2012, 01:14 PM
For anything north of Sahara, this was the LEAST crowded of the 4 that I've attended - by far. I walked up in the middle of Squeeze's set and stood comfortably about halfway between the soundboard and the stage - and this is a band that plays the Greek. Selfishly, I'm all for the bro-magnet acts in the Sahara. Makes for a much better festival for rockers like myself.

Took the words right out of my mouth. But then, even if they had more interesting DJ/Dubstep acts like Burial/Four Tet/Nicolas Jar etc, I'd still choose a rock show on one of the other stages nine times out of ten. I've just always preferred the full band experience to the "press play" experience live...on record, love 'em both.

SepaGroove
05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
The perception that the coachella crowd is worse these days has more to do with people's perspectives changing than anything else. They now complain about the bros they used to be.

Lol this is sad but true. I used to be a bit of a bro back when I was 16-17. I'm a completely different person now than I was then.

Hawkings
05-18-2012, 02:14 PM
coachella is fine. sorry you didn't get tix.

No one goes to Coachella anymore. It's too crowded.

Also, love your avatar Larry, I'm the Juggernaut B*$ch

Shoulda Named Ya Laika
05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
5/17/12 the day hedonism realized he fucked up and missed out on tickets

The "fox and the sour grapes" phenomenon.

fetuspiniata
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
OP is hedo rick!
YVtEX1J7tXQ

Auenway
05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
These threads crack me up everytime.. People make it sound like Sahara is the only stage at Coachella.. haha. Get a life people, your exactly right Coachella is not a rave go to EDC to get your Electronic fix. Coachella just gives you a taste.. sometimes even surprises you.

jaysocal
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM

^^ Correct!

the goat
05-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Look, I love Howie Day too, but let's not get emotional here.

Running full speed (limping full speed, actually, but that's another story) in 103 degree heat from Pixies to Stereolab then back to Radiohead is probably still my favorite Coachella moment. Well, not the limping, per se, but the opportunity to do so.

arsgunner
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Here's the pro-tip to have a great Coachella: don't go in the Sahara tent now.

^^^^^ exactly...i went toward the sahara tent once this year for 5 min to see some friends and quickly realized what coachella has turned into but just don't go there...its impossible for anything not to become trendy after 10+ years..stop bitching

ps

i personally wish they'd axe the sahara tent and put more actual bands but whatever GV has to make their please the mainstream crowd now more than ever

hippityhip
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Running full speed (limping full speed, actually, but that's another story) in 103 degree heat from Pixies to Stereolab then back to Radiohead is probably still my favorite Coachella moment. Well, not the limping, per se, but the opportunity to do so.

That's fucking awesome man. I did the same exact thing that year. That was 3+ hours of radness.

btw you are at 666 posts with the goat as your username. Don't post ever again and leave it there.

Bons222000
05-18-2012, 07:48 PM
If you do the same thing with a festival every year people complain that it's getting boring and repetitive.

If you try to do different things every year people complain that you've "sold out".

People complained about Radiohead's setlist before they even did a single show on this tour, months before Coachella.

People complained about Radiohead doing too many KoL songs at Coachella, even though they did 5 songs in a 21 song setlist.

People complain when bands like Arcade Fire headline because they aren't "big" enough.

People complain when acts like Kanye West headline because they are "too mainstream".

People complain about acts like Swedish House Mafia because they are "too cheesy".

People complain about acts like Bjork because they are "too boring".

For some reason people enjoy complaining...x100 when they can do it anonymously over the internet.

Coachella is the shit. That's why it sells out.

Quit fucking bitching.

fatbastard
05-18-2012, 07:50 PM
You have a pretty good memory of what people have bitched about.

suprefan
05-18-2012, 08:17 PM
He was the one who bitched about it all, not hard to remember.

LAVeniceDude
05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I totally agree. 2010 was the only Coachella that I thought was overcrowded, the past two years I've really had no issue with it at all. Other than the water stations of course.That was my first Coachella. I thought it was just me. I'm a relative noob. Don't care. It's still the happiest place on earth, and I will love 2013. There's always something amazing going on, even if you don't like the headliners. Do-lab and Heineken tent alone were big fun last year.

Buy your passes. If you hate the lineup, sell 'em at face and stop complaining.

(Relative noob, but also was at the Pearl Jam show in '94...so in a way, not).

the goat
05-19-2012, 03:56 AM
That's fucking awesome man. I did the same exact thing that year. That was 3+ hours of radness.

btw you are at 666 posts with the goat as your username. Don't post ever again and leave it there.

Vacuum cleaner plugs? Now? Really!?!

the goat
05-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Also, my oldest niece turns 9 today, and no, I'm not ready for that shit.

kneuller
05-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the people bitching about downhill changes are the same types of people who feel devastated when "their band" suddenly goes more mainstream and then go around saying "I saw them play at The El Rey 6 years ago in front of 75 people and now theyre subheadlining.....it isnt right."

lt.roast.a.botch
05-19-2012, 09:38 AM
doesn't everyone feel devastated when that happens? some just handle it better

Axtell
05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
As someone else mentioned in this thread, 2013 will be my first Coachella as well. Been wanting to go for a few years now, finally decided enough was enough and got in on the pre-sale. So yes, I, too, helped 'kill' Coachella.

The OP has the same attitude as every single person reminiscing about anything they like. Sports fans complain about games nowadays being so much more commercialized (but ignoring how much better stadiums are now, with better sight lines and food, etc). Music fans complain about their bands 'selling out' and going 'mainstream' but ignore that it means the same band now tours more now which lets them see them live more often, as well as their music being exposed to more people.

The facts are there is always going to be a small percentage of people who complain simply to complain. The notion about not being able to make everyone happy all the time is true in everything. But apparently Coachella is doing something right - not only do tickets sell at a breathtaking pace, but there's enough demand to fill TWO weekends. It's gone from an event that was nearly cancelled into one of the world's largest and best known festivals in under a decade. While it not be the OP's taste, they're obviously doing something that a HELL of a lot of people (myself included) want to be a part of.

cman1098
05-20-2012, 04:05 AM

2010 was not bad at all. Last year was terrible. So many people and one big clusterfuck. 2010 was smooth and easy. I chose not to buy a ticket on lay away like I did the last two years. I feel a cash in is coming.

signed.

algunz
05-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Cman, are you sure you were in the right place? 2010 will always be known as Clusterfuckchella.

lowfront
05-20-2012, 08:06 AM

Fuck coachella

spiggums
05-20-2012, 08:29 AM

If that was the only stage that had dance music, you'd have a point.

But since they are still booking more interesting dance acts and just putting them on other stages (last year: Leftfield and Trentemoller come instantly to mind... this year: SBTRKT, Modeselektor, Shadow... to name a few) well, then it's actually a favor to the rest of us if they keep the shitty dance music in one tent.

And that's before we even consider that some high quality acts slip in to the Heineken Dome and Do Lab as well...

Shaxspear
05-20-2012, 08:40 AM
I can't understand why some people give a shit about what kind of crowd goes to the festival. Unless its impeding my ability to hear or see the show, I couldn't give two fucks about who else is around me.

Mammoth85
05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the official death will be December 21, 2012.

Truth. The end is near.

kneuller
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I can't understand why some people give a shit about what kind of crowd goes to the festival. Unless its impeding my ability to hear or see the show, I couldn't give two fucks about who else is around me.

The only kinds of people I dont like to see a lot of at Coachella are really really tall people.

isnate
05-20-2012, 11:43 AM

As long as they know when to shut up and watch the show.

LiquidL
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Lol no matter what, all seem to agree that Sahara is just atrocious.
Well, I am here to say it's not. It has good energy, fun crowd, and I don't judge anyone's taste in music (just mine) so I manage to have fun in there while I'm there.

On another note, yes this thread's theme has been dead horse beaten.

ialvarado2
05-20-2012, 12:15 PM
The only kinds of people I dont like to see a lot of at Coachella are really really tall people.

That's why it is better to have more Mexican and Latin bands... the more Mexicans in the crowd, the better the view.

RickeyinLA
05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Or Peruvian bands because I've always found them to be on the short side so you are guaranteed a clear view from in front of the sound board (which is where you should be in the first place).

Coachella is the best thing in the whole wide world.
I've been to every one since St. Germain and I don't even care who they book next year because Paul ALWAYS surprises.

See you at LiB?

malcolmjama1awesome
05-20-2012, 03:42 PM
WOAH DUDE I JUST

RAVED MY DICK OFF

TO THIS THREAD

algunz
05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
I thought you left?

malcolmjama1awesome
05-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Holy dick detachment guys i am raving my dick off to this

WhatLies
05-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I have a suspicious feeling that mja's imposter is sonicc

nathanfairchild
05-20-2012, 06:46 PM
I have a suspicious feeling that mja's imposter is sonicc

it's Nick o

PJandBompton
05-20-2012, 07:01 PM

sounds like you should have been going to SXSW this whole time

Larry Farnsworth
05-21-2012, 03:40 AM
it's pretty unique, as far as i can tell.

Not really. Go over to the Bonnaroo board sometime and listen to people bemoaning the death of Bonnaroo because there are too many indie/hip-hop/mainstream/whatever acts. There is a decent sized contingent who are legitimately upset that Bonnaroo is no longer solely the province of dreadlocked white guys and girls who look pregnant but aren't, and dislike that they aren't all just grooving out to String Cheese Incident.

GuyInTucson
05-21-2012, 05:17 AM
2010 was not bad at all. Last year was terrible. So many people and one big clusterfuck. 2010 was smooth and easy. I chose not to buy a ticket on lay away like I did the last two years. I feel a cash in is coming.

signed.

I think you're confused. 2011 was the first year of the expanded festival grounds. 2010 was the year where 30,000 people snuck in according to Paul Tollett.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-21-2012, 05:20 AM
it's Nick o

I don't think so. At the beginning there was a glimpse of potential that I think forecloses nick o as an option.

GuyInTucson
05-21-2012, 05:26 AM
I don't think so. At the beginning there was a glimpse of potential that I think forecloses nick o as an option.

Who are the other potential candidates? I thought it was Nick o too.

TomAz
05-21-2012, 06:32 AM
who the hell is Nick o?

TomAz
05-21-2012, 06:33 AM
girls who look pregnant but aren't

This is great. I'm going to use this.

GuyInTucson
05-21-2012, 07:29 AM
who the hell is Nick o?

Somebody who was legitimately excited for Swedish House Mafia and thinks people in their early 30's are "old". I believe he was deactivated.

HotHamWater
05-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Somebody who was legitimately excited for Swedish House Mafia and thinks people in their early 30's are "old". I believe he was deactivated.

I thought Nick o was the guy who works for the promoter that put on the High Contrast show in SF, and was talking down to everyone and calling them elitists or something for saying that the show wasn't put together very well. Then we torched him in the EDC thread, and haven't heard from him since.

Robin
05-21-2012, 07:41 AM
I thought Nick o was the guy who works for the promoter that put on the High Contrast show in SF, and was talking down to everyone and calling them elitists or something for saying that the show wasn't put together very well. Then we torched him in the EDC thread, and haven't heard from him since.

Haha! Yeah... that was him. I linked that High Contrast thread to someone who helps run that production company. I wonder if Nick O still hands out fliers for them.

Larry Farnsworth
05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
This is great. I'm going to use this.

Keep preaching the word.

captncrzy
05-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Who are the other potential candidates? I thought it was Nick o too.

It's Gorillex.

TomAz
05-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Who the hell is Gorillex?

MJA, why do so many people I've never heard of hate you so?

captncrzy
05-21-2012, 09:53 AM
A previous troll.

GuyInTucson
05-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Same guy.

Oh wait, that's your point.

HandBanana
05-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Can we just skip to the end and give Mr Farnsworth the Best New Boardie award for 2012 now?

Mugwog
05-22-2012, 02:13 AM

Having gone from 04-12 and camping every year, I have seen many different phases of Coachella. We, the folks who grew up in the 90s were spoiled rotten with the most amazing musicians who survived past the mediocrity that dominated the air waves such as All 4 One and Smash Mouth. GV gave us acts that were amazing. The crowd was filled with fellow music fanatics who wanted to hear the next great bootleg everyone would be listening to for the next few years, and the bands delivered these amazing sets also (Pixies/Radiohead04/DP06etc).

Everyone told their friends and their mamas to come after each year, unfortunately this brought some of the wrong crowd to fields. Folks who appreciate a catchy single, but immediately leave after that single is played. This pattern increased more and more over the last 4 years, now we have folks who go to Coachella to "find dat pussy" and yell stupid shit during sets, stand and occupy a dance space, stepping within an inch from your face and posting up for a show, but never dancing, just getting in the fucking way. This past year, walking around with my younger sister, I couldn't have imagined the number of rapey creeps the women have the deal with before. On Saturday, some douche was just talking mad shit to every person just to get a reaction. When he did get one, he became a defensive twerp, hoping his friends will back him up? After he knowingly has provoked a few individuals for no reason? Does anyone really like people who act like that?

Basically: There is no fucking consideration for your fellow human beings. Over half of the conversations initiated by strangers are this: "Do you have any drugs for sale?"

My experience for another gathering from this past weekend completely blew my last 3 years of Coachella out of the water. I've also grown a little bit out of the "need to be up front to rage" mindset. Instead, I love meeting the people at the shows and making new connections, sharing some magic with these folks, not trying to size their wallet up and how much one could profit. A friendship is worth far more than $10-$15 profit and a potential felony. Plus most of them know how to handle their entheogens and are still able to interact with people around them compared to the drug noobs at Chella...

If a friend in the biz gets me a free ticket or Daft Punk is playing their first new show, I'll go. I could have probably gotten a weekend 2 ticket if I wasn't so stubborn for weekend 1 and trying to buy my ticket while in transit to an amazing gathering last Thursday morning.

Coachella has changed for sure, but you can't expect a festival to produce something better than the year before every single year. There has to be a downfall, and maybe that is what it will take for Coachella to regain its steam again. Best case scenario for all of us: Mainstream music gets better, because that is what Coachella is really reaching for right now.

For those of you who can't read a few paragraphs cuz "tldr":

http://caskstrength.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/portlandia.jpg
"Coachella is OVER "

grannock
05-22-2012, 09:04 AM
I went to coachella once and would never go back. Nothing remarkable or special about the place, those of you that disagree need to open your eyes and travel.

JustSteve
05-22-2012, 09:08 AM
i have been to festivals all over the world, my eyes have been open the whole time. thanks for telling me i am wrong, though.

microcuts
05-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I went to coachella once and would never go back. Nothing remarkable or special about the place, those of you that disagree need to open your eyes and travel.

Nope, there's nothing special about being on the fringes of the Mojave desert. It's just an everyday thing.

Goatchella
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
some of us enjoy music all over the mojave every weekend...Thing is, you can be somewhere low budget, with underground acts that most have never heard of, no huge lasers, gimmicks or hipster girls to drool over and have a better time than coachella based on the vibe alone. Being able to be yourself and move freely without being patted down or waiting in lines, no trash ect.

there are sooooo many music festivals out there or just gatherings that are on this whole other level. I never felt those kinds of vibes from coachella. I go to chella realizing it is a hipster,trend fest with big names and shiny objects. Its the one big clusterfuck I attend every year. I like it, but it is different. Sometimes cheese is good. I have had a better time at a 70$ festival with 1000 people there tho.

TomAz
05-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Listen you condescending little asswipe. You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. "Special" is not an objective descriptive, but stupid is, and you are stupid.

I have traveled the world extensively. I have been to Macchu Pichu, I have been to Angkor Wat, I have been to the Taj Majal. I've driven the Scottish highlands north of Inverness and I've driven the German autobahn and I've driven the white-knuckle backroads of western Ireland. I've had blood sausage in Paris and I've had couscous in Tangier and I've had dried snake bought from a roadside stand in Cambodia. My eyes are wide open. And I think Coachella is a special place.

Now go fuck yourself.

Miroir Noir
05-22-2012, 09:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZTzA_xesrL8#t=8s

Robin
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I only see in wide screen.

Goatchella
05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Wow Tom...chill out bud. Your getting a little worked up. BTW no body gives a shit where you have been ;)

Larry Farnsworth
05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

grannock
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
i have been to festivals all over the world, my eyes have been open the whole time. thanks for telling me i am wrong, though.

So coachella was the best fest in the world in 2012? Shity camp site, overbooked and overcrowded schedule, no late night of any kind, oppressive undercover force.

The only thing coachella had going for it was its diversity and ability to draw rare acts. You barely saw any of that in 2012, and you will see even less in the years come.

grannock
05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Listen you condescending little asswipe. You're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. "Special" is not an objective descriptive, but stupid is, and you are stupid.

I have traveled the world extensively. I have been to Macchu Pichu, I have been to Angkor Wat, I have been to the Taj Majal. I've driven the Scottish highlands north of Inverness and I've driven the German autobahn and I've driven the white-knuckle backroads of western Ireland. I've had blood sausage in Paris and I've had couscous in Tangier and I've had dried snake bought from a roadside stand in Cambodia. My eyes are wide open. And I think Coachella is a special place.

Now go fuck yourself.

The girl that poped your cherry has gained 40 pounds and her mom is still a bitch. I get it though, she did spread them open for you first, and that is something you will never forget. Btw great job comparing cambodia to coachella.

Miroir Noir
05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Well, in fairness, he wasn't talking about hanging out with the Khmer Rouge in some sort of weird literalization of the Dead Kennedys song.

GuyInTucson
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
The girl that poped your cherry has gained 40 pounds and her mom is still a bitch. I get it though, she did spread them open for you first, and that is something you will never forget. Btw great job comparing cambodia to coachella.

What was your first and only Coachella? Just curious.

microcuts
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
no late night of any kind, oppressive undercover force.

LOL this explains everything.

luckyface
05-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Who cares if some Bonnaroo faithful don't like Coachella? Do you like it? Then that is all that matters.

GuyInTucson
05-22-2012, 10:35 AM
So coachella was the best fest in the world in 2012? Shity camp site, overbooked and overcrowded schedule, no late night of any kind, oppressive undercover force.

The only thing coachella had going for it was its diversity and ability to draw rare acts. You barely saw any of that in 2012, and you will see even less in the years come.

lulz @ "oppressive"

Larry Farnsworth
05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
So coachella was the best fest in the world in 2012? .

I didn't go. But I'm going to respond to you as if I had, because you strike me as foolish and boorish.

Shity camp site,.

You spelled "shitty" wrong. Also, have you ever been to any other camping festivals? Aside from the smaller fests which can afford to have perfect, grassy, picturesque locations for camping, it's plenty "shity" elsewhere. Go camp in the middle of a field in Tennessee and see how you like it.

overbooked and overcrowded schedule, .

Would you like fewer bands? More stages? What? Any large music festival with more than two stages is going to have an "overbooked and overcrowded schedule." Go take a look at the schedules for Bonnaroo, or ACL, or Lollapalooza. Go on, I'll wait.

no late night of any kind, .

Aside from Bonnaroo, what festivals have late nights? Unless you mean "late night" like Lolla, ACL, and Pitchfork have, where it's an extra ticketed show in a club somewhere. And I'm sorry that Coachella didn't book enough Van Halen cover bands to play from 2:00-4:00 a.m. for your tastes, but you can't please everybody.

oppressive undercover force. .

Again, it's a MASSIVE MUSIC FESTIVAL. Local, state, and federal cops are well aware that people there are likely ingesting all kinds of substances. What on Earth do you think Coachella can do about this? And again, it happens everywhere. Every time I've been to Bonnaroo I've seen tons of people getting busted/hassled by undercovers. Sorry you can't huff paint thinner or whatever the fuck it is you like, but be a bit discrete about it and you won't have any problems.

The only thing coachella had going for it was its diversity and ability to draw rare acts. You barely saw any of that in 2012, .

Yeah, I'm just going to check out all the other festivals that have Pulp, Refused, Company Flow, At The Drive In, Dr. Dre, Buzzcocks, etc.

and you will see even less in the years come.

What is this statement based on? Anything? What are some rare acts that you think Coachella should have gotten this year, but didn't?

No lie, from your ramblings I think that it's more that you just don't like music festivals. The things you complain about, they're inherent to each and every one of them. You might want to rethink your plans, because if shit like this bothers you then you might just not be suited for this kind of thing.

Oh, and I hope you go broke.

nathanfairchild
05-22-2012, 10:37 AM

i'm guessing it was this year.

GuyInTucson
05-22-2012, 10:48 AM
i'm guessing it was this year.

I bet it's 2010 based on how "overcrowded" it was and the timeframe he joined the boards.

Mugwog
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Phew, glad I'm not digging myself a hole for once.

Phunkevil
05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Bwahahah. Credibility gone.

grannock
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM

2010. Its the only year in recent memory where i thought the lineup was head and shoulders above everything else. Coachella had some glory days, i would have loved to go in 06 but a cross county trip wasnt in my budget back then. Im not saying coachella sucks. Some of you act like it is the holy grail end all of festivals. It is actually pretty standard.

Ya, the fest is getting dramatically overblown and it makes it hard for giant camping groups of friends to do it like they did 5 years ago. Guess what that means, time to move on and let some unjaded kids have a ball in your place.

Also for the record, I was at the first bonaroo, back in 04 because I was traveling the country selling glass and back in 06 and 07 because the lineups were amazing. I would never go back to that shithole, ever. I'm not comparing coachella to bonaroo, both are well past their prime.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time.

- No late night. You are in the fucking desert and you are soposed to rage out at 1-3 PM instead of AM, stupid as fuck.

grannock
05-22-2012, 12:20 PM
I bet it's 2010 based on how "overcrowded" it was and the timeframe he joined the boards.

I didn't think it was that overcrowded. I thought that they forced me to pick between Thom York and Plastikman and made me and everyone else see the trainwreck that was gorillaz for no fucking reason. This is a booking problem, not an overcrowded problem.

Larry, i'm not even going to respond to your post because you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. There are more than 3 festivals in this country.

Goatchella
05-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I thought the gorillaz sucked 2010 too...way too crowded and mediocre sound. Chella is great for a mainstream cheese fest. Los Angeles and Hollywood love that shit.

Miroir Noir
05-22-2012, 12:26 PM
"Thom York" and "the gorillas." Fuck this thread so hard.

GuyInTucson
05-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Ya, the fest is getting dramatically overblown and it makes it hard for giant camping groups of friends to do it like they did 5 years ago. Guess what that means, time to move on and let some unjaded kids have a ball in your place.

I have had friends each of the last two years who camped with groups that have no problem getting spots together. I have heard that has become a lot easier to do now.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement.

I am not a fan of camping in general so I can't really form an opposing opinion here. However, I have seen camping spots where people have set up canopies and adjusted their campsite accordingly to offset the brutal sun.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds.

I have never come across anyone who was paranoid at Coachella unless they were on too much of something.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time.

Please tell me how this is different from any other comparable festival.

- No late night. You are in the fucking desert and you are soposed to rage out at 1-3 PM instead of AM, stupid as fuck.

The city of Indio has a noise ordinance. There is nothing GV can do about that. Blame Insomniac for Nocturnal Wonderland 2000 at the Polo Fields.

I didn't think it was that overcrowded. I thought that they forced me to pick between Thom York and Plastikman and made me and everyone else see the trainwreck that was gorillaz for no fucking reason. This is a booking problem, not an overcrowded problem.

Sooo... Coachella is the only festival with scheduling conflicts?? I'm confused here.

Larry Farnsworth
05-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Also for the record, I was at the first bonaroo, back in 04 because I was traveling the country selling glass and back in 06 and 07 because the lineups were amazing. I would never go back to that shithole, ever. I'm not comparing coachella to bonaroo, both are well past their prime..

The first Bonnaroo was 2002. I can only assume that you were so totally spunions on your epic glass selling adventure, brah, that years and jambands all run into one another. It happens.

-Coachella camping is horrible, just as bad a roo. You can not be any worse off than a girded off parking lot with no shade unless you were actually camping on cement. .

Here's where I await you giving an example of a major music festival with camping that doesn't suck. I'm not talking minor little 15-20K fests like All Good or Mountain Jam or wherever else your VW van has taken you, but large, major fests on the level of Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lolla, ACL, Outside Lands, Voodoo, etc.

-The majority of good festivals are held on private property where undercover cops do not have an arrest quota. Of course I was never arrested or hassled at Coachella, but everyone was fucking paranoid and it really ruined the vibe in the campgrounds..

...and here's where I await you giving an example of a "good" festival where there is no threat of undercovers.

- Coachella dramatically overbooks their lineup. Wow, there are like 20 acts I want to see every day! Too bad they all conflict and have 45 min sets or are forced to start late because they cant even get their shit set up on time. .

...and here's where I await you giving an example of a major festival that doesn't have tons of conflicts. Newsflash: if a fest has 5 stages, there will be 5 bands playing at once. And in a festival with 100K people attending, you can't put one, major band on with 4 bottom tier bands because you have to find a way to split the crowds. This isn't even something that you need to be a festival veteran to understand, this is just basic spacial reasoning.

I really don't have an answer for this except to say that there is only one camping festival that has late nights on site. Basically, you want Bonnaroo, only with nicer camping. Right?

Anyway, have fun selling glass on Phish tour or whatever, brah.

Larry Farnsworth
05-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Larry, i'm not even going to respond to your post because you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. There are more than 3 festivals in this country.

MAJOR FESTIVALS, dickhole. No one gives a shit if your favorite local hippie fest that attracts 20K offers superb camping spots and sick late nights to the tune of Dark Star Orchestra, Lotus and RAQ. I'm still waiting for you to provide a SINGLE example of a major music festival that provides you with this magic land of milk and honey that Coachella has thusfar denied you. Until you can show me such an example, all you've done is demonstrate that you basically don't like music festivals.

And I'm already about 100% positive you're going to mention Rothbury, the patron saint of perfect hippie music fests.

microcuts
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
There was a group of like 9-10 people from Sweden and Norway at Lake Eldorado wknd 2 this year that apparently had no problems organizing getting out there. Yeah it's probably more difficult than it was in like 2008. But still definitely possible with some brainpower (and money). There was also plenty of shade located there. Seems like common sense if you're doing general camping to bring a canopy or something for extra shade.

Miroir Noir
05-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Larry Farnsworth is too good to be a lurker.

Goatchella
05-22-2012, 12:49 PM
thats because he is one of these same repeat elite with a new account.

grannock
05-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I thought the gorillaz sucked 2010 too...way too crowded and mediocre sound. Chella is great for a mainstream cheese fest. Los Angeles and Hollywood love that shit.

Bingo

grannock
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
MAJOR FESTIVALS, dickhole. No one gives a shit if your favorite local hippie fest that attracts 20K offers superb camping spots and sick late nights to the tune of Dark Star Orchestra, Lotus and RAQ. I'm still waiting for you to provide a SINGLE example of a major music festival that provides you with this magic land of milk and honey that Coachella has thusfar denied you. Until you can show me such an example, all you've done is demonstrate that you basically don't like music festivals.

And I'm already about 100% positive you're going to mention Rothbury, the patron saint of perfect hippie music fests.

Burning man?

I'll also say Bisco was great last year with SBTRKT, Bluetech, Cut Copy, Shpongle live, Ratatat, MSTRKFT, Ghostland, and Four Tet in a 16 hour span. I do things that last more than 10 hours, I need something past 1AM.

I mean I also am going to Detroit this weekend, but you don't camp there unless you really want to.

Hawkings
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
2010. Its the only year in recent memory where i thought the lineup was head and shoulders above everything else. Coachella had some glory days, i would have loved to go in 06 but a cross county trip wasnt in my budget back then. Im not saying coachella sucks. Some of you act like it is the holy grail end all of festivals. It is actually pretty standard.

Also for the record, I was at the first bonaroo, back in 04 because I was traveling the country selling glass and back in 06 and 07 because the lineups were amazing. I would never go back to that shithole, ever. I'm not comparing coachella to bonaroo, both are well past their prime.

I know i shouldn't feed into this but, just to clarify for the listeners at home, You went to Coachella once, in 2010. You had a bad time at the festival but still hang around the board with over 1,000 post. You don't think they will continue to book good enough acts, and the acts are mainstream, but want to see 20 and are sad about conflicts. Sorry you can't party later ? than what 2 or 3 ? I don't get why you keep posting if it was so disappointing.

I agree with you about crowd size and think it is too crowded and the worst for that was 2010. Earlier years and Fridays now definately had/have more managable crowds.

GuyInTucson
05-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Burning man?

I'll also say Bisco was great last year with SBTRKT, Bluetech, Cut Copy, Shpongle live, Ratatat, MSTRKFT, Ghostland, and Four Tet in a 16 hour span. I do things that last more than 10 hours, I need something past 1AM.

Soooooooo..... what are your opinions of Camp Bisco's lineup this year? I mean, those are some awesome rare acts in Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Skrillex, A-Trak, Porter Robinson, Dada Life, Zeds Dead, etc.....

Also hasn't Burning Man gone from an attendee driven festival to just another $300+ overcrowded event that people go to just to go? I mean, that's what my buddy who was a burner in the 90's / early-2000''s says anyway.

spiggums
05-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I do things that last more than 10 hours, I need something past 1AM.

So the recurring theme is... festival doesn't jive well with your drug use...

Sorry to hear that man... but that's what we call a "you" problem... not an issue with the festival itself.

grannock
05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Let me clarify. I had a great time at Coachella in 2010. I have an amazing time everywhere I go. That's the fucking point, if you bring the party (both literally and figuratively) it really doesn't matter where you land. Coachella is a good time, past its prime, and will cater to the 21 year old crowd until the end of time. It is designed to make butt loads of money, and is doing it very successfully. It is now a brand, nobody cares who is booked, it sells out in 2 hours. Times are changing, either change with them, or find a new place to hang out. Whining on the internet is never the answer.

I also never once complained about Coachella being overcrowded. I said overbooked, its two different things.

grannock
05-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Soooooooo..... what are your opinions of Camp Bisco's lineup this year? I mean, those are some awesome rare acts in Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Skrillex, A-Trak, Porter Robinson, Dada Life, Zeds Dead, etc.....

Also hasn't Burning Man gone from an attendee driven festival to just another $300+ overcrowded event that people go to just to go? I mean, that's what my buddy who was a burner in the 90's / early-2000''s says anyway.

Bisco is god awful this year, along with basically everything. Burning Man will always be a paradise to those that contribute. People that go just to experience other peoples hard work will never understand.

TomAz
05-22-2012, 01:18 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YMirgSzJl7A/Rg2owVbz80I/AAAAAAAAAQU/UnZ-lmuJTLI/s320/rocks.JPG

TomAz
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.shtfradio.com/radio-show/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/box-of-rocks.jpg

TomAz
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8t59jorH2DM/Rv2z5xvvnxI/AAAAAAAAA4s/Vp53nHqNYfw/s400/Box+Of+Rocks.JPG

TomAz
05-22-2012, 01:20 PM
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/45/130472353_4e96d0dedc_z.jpg

TomAz
05-22-2012, 01:20 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002404313/1628518048_Box20of20Rocks_answer_2_xlarge.png

amyzzz
05-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I think Coachella does a pretty good job at trying to avoid conflicts for similar artists or artists that would have similar audiences.

Goatchella
05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
they did a great job this year. attracting idiots to one side while good bands played on another and fitting the good do lab djs between both

GuyInTucson
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Burning Man will always be a paradise to those that contribute.

Not necessarily. I know plenty of people that contributed to Burning Man for years that will never go again due to some of the same reasons you won't go to Coachella again.

Mugwog
05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/skynews/20100528/19/3807398619-diff-rent-strokes-star-dies-haemorrhage.jpg?x=310&y=231&q=75&wc=321&hc=240&xc=40&yc=1&sig=4F8gYT5cHCp.4DBgPmQ7nw--

Larry Farnsworth
05-22-2012, 02:01 PM
thats because he is one of these same repeat elite with a new account.

Or . . . OR! I have a semi-functioning brain with which I occasionally make arguments grounded in logic and reason. It's a change from the steady stream of arrogance, ignorance and an absolute paucity of self-awareness which tends to spew forth from most of the trogolodytes who populate any forum on the internet wherein people are allowed to express their opinions. You'll get used to it.

* Note: By "trogolodytes" I am totally not referring to anyone here. You guys are cool. I meant those other guys, elsewhere.

Larry Farnsworth
05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Burning man?

I mean I also am going to Detroit this weekend, but you don't camp there unless you really want to.

I ask for major music festivals, and you give me Burning Man (which to my knowledge doesn't feature music), and Camp Bisco (which sold out last year at 25K tickets). You're really terrible at this.

amyzzz
05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
MOAR ROCKS PICS PLEASE.

algunz
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
5/22/2012 the day I wished this thread would die.

BROKENDOLL
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Near as I could tell, you could still go to listen to great music at Coachella. And by the response of the crowd as Snoop and Dre shouted out for fans from 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years ago, the span of generations was still there, but the so-called gap between them didn't seem to be... Pretty timeless if you ask me. And, having the option of chillin' out and dosing off to Radiohead, or jumping around and fist-pumping to Guetta wasn't diverse enough for you, you had 5 more stages to choose from...how much more diversity does one need? And, before you go crediting the Sahara Tent for ending your era of good music, it obviously was opening doors for many others because, as a die-hard Sahara Tent fan who's practically camped out in there the last 2 years, the few times I was there this year, it was standing room only...hardly a sign that something is ending... more like evolving... something you should try if you ever expect to see how far Coachella will go, instead of writing it off as dead and dying... Sorry, but if selling out 2 weekends of presale passes, 11 months in advance without a lineup is dying, let me hear your definition of Coachella living... Oh, wait...nevermind.

"People on this board are going to hate on him, but don't worry there will be plenty of people thrilled about Tiesto, myself included.

WOW WHAT A LINEUP!!! Much better than last year, I am very..."

Neighborhood Creep
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Wakarusa has sunrise acts. It's not major, but it's not really super small either.

BROKENDOLL
05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Phew, glad I'm not digging myself a hole for once.
You and I, both! I am a little disgruntled that Tom never gave me a box of rocks... fucker.

TomAz
05-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Pretty sure that I did, actually.

Ardentbiscuit
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I take this thread as a confirmation that Don McLean will play and he will re do the song American Pie except with the line, "Something touched me deep inside the day the Coachella Music and Arts Festival died" similar to how Coldplay re did yellow but replaced yellow with the word Coachella.

gaypalmsprings
05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
http://www.zport.com/box/boxrocks.gif

fatbastard
05-22-2012, 05:18 PM
MOAR ROCKS PICS PLEASE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEC04BfqMy0

http://www.robink.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/rocks.jpg

http://www.teamsandtastic.com/RockStacking/27Rocks.jpg

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/011/cache/rocks_1173_600x450.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/familycrafts/1/0/f/O/2/petrock-st1.jpg

algunz
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/59df7142.jpg

TomAz
05-22-2012, 09:42 PM
You people... BOX of rocks. Jesus.

lt.roast.a.botch
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/assets/images/boxes/pop_rocks_watermelon_24ct.jpg

algunz
05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
BUT, mine is actually MINE.

Actually Izzy made them, but still.

luckyface
05-22-2012, 10:03 PM
BUT, mine is actually MINE.

Actually Izzy made them, but still.

Taking credit for your kid's work? Low.

algunz
05-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I know. I guess I've finally reached it.

BROKENDOLL
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/HOME%20SWEET%20HOME/FAMILY%20and%20FRIENDS/rocxks.jpg