PDA

View Full Version : Misplace Your Faith In Us: Collaboratively Soundtracking Each Other's Lives

Hannahrain
05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Doing something now? Going to do a thing later? Going to a place via a method? Post here and let the unwashed masses suggest the right musical accompaniment for your activities. Include ambiance for maximum ROI.

Please note: this thread is not about being interesting and I don't care how dull your activities are. It's just a place for situational musical recommendations and hopefully a chance to be exposed to some new music in its ideal setting.

Here's what I'm doing this evening, to start us off:

Shortly: cleaning up bedroom and workspace. Sunny and temperate. Children playing outside.

Later: sketching out some comic panels, possibly inking. Low light, headphones. Probable handcramp. Try to work that in.

I hope at least one of you people lives on a farm. Gemma?

bballarl
05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Shortly:

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk

Later:

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

Mugwog
05-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Shortly: Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning

Later: Kid Koala - Skanky Panky (you'll hear the hand cramp)

icedKeg
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I only listen to Sunday Morning on Sunday mornings. That's just me.

TallGuyCM
05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Tomorrow: driving from LA to Fresno and back. Lots of time in rural CA on the 99. I could definitely use some fitting album recommendations. :)

bmack86
05-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Smog - Knock Knock
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
Cat Power - Moon Pix (especially if you're driving after dark)
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On

Mugwog
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I only listen to Sunday Morning on Sunday mornings. That's just me.

I find that whole album is a perfect way to start a super early morning drive with the dawn

bballarl
05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Tomorrow: driving from LA to Fresno and back. Lots of time in rural CA on the 99. I could definitely use some fitting album recommendations. :)

If you are driving at night:
The Verve - A Storm in Heaven
Radiohead - Kid A

Daytime:
Springsteen

SoulDischarge
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM

Nick Cave & Bad Seeds - The Firstborn Is Dead.

TallGuyCM
05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Smog - Knock Knock
Cat Power - Moon Pix (especially if you're driving after dark)

I just put Knock Knock on my phone last night, actually! Cheers.

zenidogx
05-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Songs for the Deaf. And loud. Perfect for sunset.

Still-ill
05-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Bert Jansch: LA Turnaround
A.R. Kane: 69
Animal Collective: Here Comes the Indian
The Saints: Eternally Yours
Leonard Cohen: The Songs of Leonard Cohen

TallGuyCM
05-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Holy shit. I <3 you guys so much. SO MUCH.

Hannahrain
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Entrance - Wandering Stranger.

Still-ill
05-15-2012, 07:22 PM
I know you're probably already aware, Hannah, but the feds shut down the SeeMyGrills.com website.

Hannahrain
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Son of a bitch.

Immediate future: mourning seemygrills.com.

bmack86
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Bert Jansch: LA Turnaround
The Saints: Eternally Yours
Animal Collective: Here Comes the Indian

Vigorous cosign

xanman86
05-15-2012, 07:38 PM

I suggest Turn On the Bright Lights by Interpol. Start it around sunset if your driving at that time.

Mr. Dylanja
05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
How about some music to paint to?

fudgumslover
05-15-2012, 11:05 PM

Folk Songs For Trains, Trees And Honey - Savath & Savalas

SoulDischarge
05-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Probably anything by Tortoise.

Still-ill
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Son of a bitch.

Immediate future: mourning seemygrills.com.

Ravi Shankar: A Morning Raga / An Evening Raga

TomAz
05-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Depends.

Painting the exterior of a house: AC/DC Back in Black

Painting the exterior of a barn or silo: The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Painting the interior of a house (unfurnished): Motorhead, Ace of Spades

Painting the interior of a house (furnished): The Strokes, Is This It

Painting a mural on a wall: Animal Collective, Meriweather Post Pavilion

Painting on canvas (oil or acrylic paint): Eno/Byrne, My Life in a Bush of Ghosts

Painting on paper (watercolor paint): anything by Joanna Newsom

bmack86
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Painting the interior of a house (unfurnished): Motorhead, Ace of Spades\

I liked all of these, but this one is most correct. I've got the image in my head now and it's spectacular.

mountmccabe
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't feel like reading on the way home:

Setting: NJ Transit bus travelling from North Jersey to Port Authority Bus Terminal, NYC or thereabouts. Decent possibility it will be quite crowded.

Weather: Warm (high 70s), humid, possibly even a bit of light rain.

Listening: Phone with access to Grooveshark, etc. Good headphones.

Duration: 35 to 45 minutes expected, could be significantly longer. So the end should be good but I shouldn't feel like I'm missing something if I stop abruptly.

Albums, EPs and playlists accepted.

amyzzz
05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
What about music for a 12 hour drive from Phoenix to Salt Lake City with the family? Much of the drive will be scenic through mountains and desert and past part of the Grand Canyon.

Miroir Noir
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
mountmccabe: Talking Heads, Fear of Music

amyzzz: U2, The Joshua Tree

captncrzy
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band--Greatest Hits

captncrzy
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
What about music for a 12 hour drive from Phoenix to Salt Lake City with the family? Much of the drive will be scenic through mountains and desert and past part of the Grand Canyon.

Bon Jovi--Slippery When Wet

bmack86
05-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Woof. Amy, DO NOT listen to that fucking wretched tripe.

Some of my favorite "nature" driving music:

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Try it at that point in the day when you're driving through a forest and the sun is coming through the trees at a sharp angle, causing that strobe effect.)
Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Calexico - Feast of Wire
Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender

captncrzy
05-16-2012, 10:10 AM
BON JOVI IS PERFECT ROAD TRIPPING MUSIC YOU HIPSTER SNOB

bmack86
05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Bon Jovi is neither perfect nor music. It IS horrible.

TomAz
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't feel like reading on the way home:

Setting: NJ Transit bus travelling from North Jersey to Port Authority Bus Terminal, NYC or thereabouts. Decent possibility it will be quite crowded.

Weather: Warm (high 70s), humid, possibly even a bit of light rain.

Listening: Phone with access to Grooveshark, etc. Good headphones.

Duration: 35 to 45 minutes expected, could be significantly longer. So the end should be good but I shouldn't feel like I'm missing something if I stop abruptly.

Albums, EPs and playlists accepted.

"Let Down" --> "99 Problems"

Hannahrain
05-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Clearlake - Cedars
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Outrageous Cherry - Our Love Will Change The World
Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago
Soledad Brothers - Voice of Treason

TomAz
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
don't you mean Mesa to SLC, amy?

Best of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Donny and Marie's Greatest Hits
David Archuleta, The Other Side of Down
The Book of Mormon - Original Cast Recording

xanman86
05-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Fever Ray - Fever Ray
Badly Drawn Boy - Hour of the Bewilderbeast
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

mountmccabe
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Beethoven - Symphonies 2 & 4 (Toscanini conducting NBC Symphony Orchestra)
Grofé - Grand Canyon Suite (Bernstein conducting NYPO suggested though Dorati/Detroit is also recommended)
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Catherine Wheel - Whirlpool
Mercury Rev - All is Dream

Plus the following to get you to somewhere around 12 hours

amyzzz: U2, The Joshua Tree

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Calexico - Feast of Wire
Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender

amyzzz
05-16-2012, 11:27 AM
don't you mean Mesa to SLC, amy?

Best of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Donny and Marie's Greatest Hits
David Archuleta, The Other Side of Down
The Book of Mormon - Original Cast RecordingThis is a national thread as opposed to an Arizona thread, so I just put our major city in there. and ha ha ha. I guess we are traveling from one Mormon mecca to another. Thanks for reminding me.

Beethoven - Symphonies 2 & 4 (Toscanini conducting NBC Symphony Orchestra)
Grofé - Grand Canyon Suite (Bernstein conducting NYPO suggested though Dorati/Detroit is also recommended)
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Catherine Wheel - Whirlpool
Mercury Rev - All is Dream

Plus the following to get you to somewhere around 12 hoursDo you mean Chapterhouse Whirlpool? I will be playing Catherine Wheel Chrome at some point.

mountmccabe
05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Do you mean Chapterhouse Whirlpool? I will be playing Catherine Wheel Chrome at some point.

I think I was thinking of that general style and (con)fused the two in my head. I should have listed both albums!

amyzzz
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I have used Whirpool on a road trip before, and my sister said it made her too sleepy. I am not sure if it would bother me or not. Personally, if I'm driving and ESPECIALLY if it is at night, I like music with a lot of vocal harmonies, or at least a lot of complicate melodies so I can keep myself awake while trying to figure out each melodic part. Chrome is perfect for that.

PotVsKtl
05-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Clearlake - Cedars

Thanks for the reminder.

mountmccabe
05-16-2012, 04:46 PM
mountmccabe: Talking Heads, Fear of Music

Thank you, this is what I listened to. It was even already on my phone.

"Let Down" --> "99 Problems"

I didn't quite finish Fear of Music so I did not make it to this, though it was queued up.

Miroir Noir
05-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Awesome! :D

Still-ill
05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Hour and a half drive from LA to San Diego. Evening drive...

ods..
05-20-2012, 09:07 PM
D'angelo - Voodoo
Roy Ayers - He's Coming

Hannahrain
05-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Paz Lenchantin - Songs For Luci

TomAz
05-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Wednesday: fasting + bowel prep for thursday's colonoscopy.

Hannahrain
05-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Montezumas - S/T.

bmack86
05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Or pretty much any long album designed to get your mind off what's going on. But those three. First.

Poor Yorick
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Hour and a half drive from LA to San Diego. Evening drive...

No Age - Nouns into Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu, then finish off with the first half of Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

bmack86
05-20-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd ride with you to San Diego. Although, geographically it'd make sense to start with No Age and get into SD with Drive Like Jehu.

Poor Yorick
05-21-2012, 12:18 AM
That's the sense I displayed. I love that drive down the 5. I had to be in Point Loma by 6am the morning after the Grizzly Bear show at the Wiltern in '09. I made the drive in under two hours. My iPod was out of power, so I was left with the 3 discs in the car with me: CocoRosie - Noah's Ark, Marissa Nadler - Little Hells, and Cat Power - You Are Free. They turned out to be utterly perfect for the ~1am-3am drive with my girlfriend asleep in the passenger seat and the glimmering sea to my right. Divine times.

bmack86
05-21-2012, 12:20 AM
The passage up from SD to LA where you go thru south Orange County always reminds me of Cursive - The Ugly Organ. I had a great drive through there once listening to that album, and it always sticks with me. Same with Daft Punk - Homework through Red Rock Canyon, just north of Mojave.

Poor Yorick
05-21-2012, 12:26 AM
The Ugly Organ has seen countless rotations in my car, mostly on the 60/10W drive from the I.E. through Pomona into L.A. because that drive always reminds me of the Saddle Creek shows I've seen at the Glasshouse over the years.

SoulDischarge
05-21-2012, 01:25 AM

La Monte Young - The Well Tuned Piano, all five hours of it, in order to achieve zen.

ods..
05-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Listened to R. Kelly's 12 Play on the ride up to Belly Up tonight, and Moodyman's Silent Introduction on the way back down at 1am. Perfection.

TallGuyCM
05-21-2012, 03:21 AM
I have another long drive this week, this time from LA to Denver. I leave on Wednesday. Four day round trip, and I would greatly appreciate some more album recs! Particularly albums that would mesh well with this kind of scenery:

Days 1 and 4:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vt20SjvTcvY/0.jpg

http://daggy.name/cop/images/zzyzx_rd.jpg

http://dmblood.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f900c8e883301630291cde3970d-800wi

Days 2 and 3:

http://lbradsphotos.com/Album%20Sept-Oct%2008/Web%20All%20500/One%20of%20the%20View%20Areas%20off%20of%20I%2070% 20in%20the%20middle%20of%20Utah.jpg

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/photographs700/i70.jpg

http://rockymountainwild.org/_site/wp-content/uploads/i-70-photo1.jpg

Poor Yorick
05-21-2012, 04:50 AM
The one & only Zzyzz road! That 15 East drive is a personal classic. For the wide open desert plains, I prefer psychedelicosmic rock(re: Gram-)oriented albums like The Flying Burrito Brothers' The Gilded Palace of Sin, Gram Parson's Grievous Angel, practically anything by Pink Floyd (The Wall especially), The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute and (say what the haters will) The Joshua Tree. I also like to fill up all that unfathomable space before me with the sprawling compositions characteristic of Godspeed You! (maybe F#A#infinity or Lift Your Skinny Fists...), Tangerine Dream (Force Majeure or Stratosphere), and Lindstrøm's Where You Go I Go Too.

P.S. Great thread, OP. This game is fun.

SoulDischarge
05-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Tangerine Dream (Force Majeure or Stratosphere), and Lindstrøm's Where You Go I Go Too.

Continuing in this spirit, throw in Klaus Schulze - Cyborg somewhere.

Another great psych album perfect for desert driving is Flower Travellin' Band - Satori.

Any chance I get to recommend Coil's Musick To Play In The Dark, Vol. 1, I take, and it would be perfect for night driving through some mountains.

Some other random recs:

Quiet Village - Silent Movie
Cul De Sac - China Gate
anything Afrobeat, I've spent many road trips killing large portions of Pitchfork's Africa 100
Death In June - The Guilty Have No Past
German Oak - German Oak
Brightblack Morning Light - s/t
Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland
for something new, 120 Days - 120 Days II

TomAz
05-21-2012, 08:40 AM
For the wide open desert plains, I prefer psychedelicosmic rock(re: Gram-)oriented albums like The Flying Burrito Brothers' The Gilded Palace of Sin, Gram Parson's Grievous Angel, practically anything by Pink Floyd (The Wall especially

Yorick's batting .667 today, he started the game hot with a couple of screaming line drives down the third base line for doubles, but in his third at bat he struck out swinging at a pitch in the dirt.

Miroir Noir
05-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Cue up side two of Darkness on the Edge of Town when you cross over into the Utah desert.

TomAz
05-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Is there an actual Waynesboro County? that always seemed more Jerseyish than Utahan to me.

Miroir Noir
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
There's no Waynesboro County, but there should be.

TomAz
05-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Well, how can something simultaneously be both a borough and a county, though?

disgustipated
05-21-2012, 09:10 AM
spending the next few days in the hospital staring at my newborn baby girl.

also, I'll be studying for my viticulture course while i'm here.

Still-ill
05-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Paz Lenchantin - Songs For Luci

D'angelo - Voodoo
Roy Ayers - He's Coming

No Age - Nouns into Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu, then finish off with the first half of Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

I could probably do most of these between the drive down and the return trip. Thanks!

RotationSlimWang
05-21-2012, 09:18 AM
spending the next few days in the hospital staring at my newborn baby girl.

also, I'll be studying for my viticulture course while i'm here.

Neil Young - Down By The River

Poor Yorick
05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Congratulations. Three inspirational records that come to mind: Sigur Ros' Ágætis byrjun Brian Wilson's Smile, & Yo La Tengo's I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One

bmack86
05-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Satori by Flower Travelling Band is a great rec for you, Chris.

Also check out Walter Wegmuller - Tarot. It might be easier to find it if you search for the Cosmic Jokers, but that's an excellent psych album for open spaces. Throw some Spacemen 3 on in there as well (maybe Dream Weapon, their live drone show.)

mountmccabe
05-21-2012, 05:37 PM

Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike"
The Raveonettes - Whip It On (it's short, but at least "Bowels of the Beast")
Spiritualized - Pure Phase or Royal Albert Hall
Swans - Filth
Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
The Drones - Wait Long By the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By
The Clean - Anthology
Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue

Yes, there are some puns here but I feel some of the deep, cathartic stuff would work well.

Poor Yorick
05-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells

supremely underrated band and album :2c

TomAz
05-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Mermaid Avenue is cathartic?

mountmccabe
05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
My original vision included a longer deeper Wilco album but it wasn't enough and then figured that there had to be some fun in there to give you something to look forward to.

TallGuyCM
05-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Day 1 is a wrap. Thoughts on the recs that I listened to today:

The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin. I enjoyed this album a good deal, but definitely expected something much more psychedelic. This seemed like pretty straight forward country/Americana, which admittedly I'm not very well-versed in. I think I may have expected too much based on Tom and Bryan's labelling this a "perfect album"...would either of you guys care to elaborate on that? What am I missing here?

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori. This album was right up my alley. Completely fucking rad from start to finish. Had much more of the psych-rock sound I was looking for while driving through the barren desert. Why haven't I ever heard of these guys before?

Lindstrøm - Where You Go I Go Too. I hadn't heard a ton from this guy before, so this was a welcome recommendation. I listened to this as the sun was starting to go down while coming into downtown Las Vegas and then for awhile after. A bit on the cheesy side, much to my surprise, but it worked. I can't imagine only listening to this album in sections, it really is one long cohesive piece.

I intended to listen to Musick to Play in the Dark after the sun went down, but the first track didn't work so I put on the OTC's Black Foliage instead, which of course is never a bad idea.

Poor Yorick
05-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Flower Travellin' Band - Satori. ... Completely fucking rad from start to finish

Intriguing. I'll have to check it out. And yea, Where You Go I Go Too does feel a little cheesy at times (after all it is "space-disco"), but I can really groove to it. I've tried listening to the album in discrete parts before. Doesn't really work.

Also, feedback is integral to this thread: Thanks for it.

SoulDischarge
05-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Mg1My8kKc-g

Sorry, had to.

Poor Yorick
05-24-2012, 10:23 PM
:thu

TallGuyCM
05-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Today was an A+++.

Like has happened before, a lot of times the 2nd day of a long drive starts out with me being really tired. So I needed something lively to get me going and put on Songs for the Deaf, which I probably hadn't listened to front to back in at least 5 years. Such a great and consistent record. After being very surprised at how much I loved Jeff the Brotherhood's We Are the Champions, I put on one of bmack's recs, Spacemen 3's Dreamweapon right after passing through Green River, Utah, and pretty much just zoned the fuck out for an hour while driving across the desert until the Colorado border. A perfect, stunning experience. I kept thinking how amazing it would have been to have been in that audience.

Sigur Ros' new one made a wonderful near sunset soundtrack while driving over the Rocky Mountains, the person who ripped the cd didn't input the track numbers, and I didn't realize I was listening to it in alphabetical order until a few songs in, but I kept going anyway and it worked great. And then the night began and ended with Coil's Musick to Play in the Dark, which was fucking incredible to listen to from dusk on, and reminded me a bit of listening to Scott Walker's The Drift for the first time, which coincidentally enough was on the same part of the same drive a little over a year ago.

I owe both bmack and SoulDischarge multiple beers next time I see them, one of the best overall listening days I've had in a long time.

bmack86
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Glad to hear you liked Dreamweapon as much as you did. Thought that'd be right up your alley.

As far as Gilded Palace of Sin, while I like the psych-influenced guitar tracks (especially on Christine's Song) the thing that really kills me about the album is how perfectly Parsons melded Country, Rock and 60s Soul. The first time I listened to it, I heard pretty much country, because that's the palate they work with instrumentally, but the songs go far beyond 60s country tropes, and really extend beyond most country songwriting in general. Hot Burrito #1 and #2 are two astounding tracks of emotionality, vocal expressiveness and really swinging playing. I dunno, I love country too, but it's a special, strong album.

TomAz
05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
As far as Gilded Palace of Sin, while I like the psych-influenced guitar tracks (especially on Christine's Song) the thing that really kills me about the album is how perfectly Parsons melded Country, Rock and 60s Soul. The first time I listened to it, I heard pretty much country, because that's the palate they work with instrumentally, but the songs go far beyond 60s country tropes, and really extend beyond most country songwriting in general. Hot Burrito #1 and #2 are two astounding tracks of emotionality, vocal expressiveness and really swinging playing. I dunno, I love country too, but it's a special, strong album.

Yeah pretty much.

To which I'd add: It sounds like 'just country' to your ears today because this was one of the landmark albums that pushed actual country music out of where it was and down the road it went to be what it is today. (man, that's a shitty sentence, apologies). But if you lay it down next to what was going on in country music at the time, it's very much a different thing.

On Hot Burrito #1, for example, Parsons took what sounds like an old fashioned country weeper and infuses it with elements of anger, resentment, jealousy, and just overall darkness that comes from rock music, it was never seen in country like that. And the result is something totally new (at the time). And yeah sure lots of bands that followed, both good and bad, used this same formula. But no one ever pulled it off like Parsons did.

edit: and to echo what Bryan said -- on Hot Burrito #1 again, the singing is not very country at all, it's much much looser than the formal restrictions of country music at the time. Really it's more like soul music -- not that Parsons is trying to sound like a soul singer, but that he's using the same techniques of vocal inflections that add a subtle shading of meaning to the lyrics.

westcoastpirate
06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I'll be doing a lot of driving in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks next week, so lots of scenery and wildlife.

Gribbz
06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Real Estate - Days
The two latest Tallest Man on Earth records.

bmack86
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
For when the sun is shining brightly: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
For a more contemplative time, maybe dusk: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
If you're doing late night driving, when the stars are out and the moon is so bright you can't believe it: The Field - From Here We Go Sublime and Radiohead - Kid A
If you drive through a forest and have that strobe-light effect from the moon and the trees: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
For a long stretch of road: Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun and Modest Mouse - the Moon and Antarctica

Miroir Noir
06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I drove through the Park in May. Saw the largest elk I've ever seen in my life standing on the side of the road. I was the only car on the road. It was a spectacular sunset, totally perfect.

Was playing the Stones at the time. Some Girls.

westcoastpirate
06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Real Estate - Days
The two latest Tallest Man on Earth records.

For when the sun is shining brightly: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
For a more contemplative time, maybe dusk: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
If you're doing late night driving, when the stars are out and the moon is so bright you can't believe it: The Field - From Here We Go Sublime and Radiohead - Kid A
If you drive through a forest and have that strobe-light effect from the moon and the trees: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
For a long stretch of road: Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun and Modest Mouse - the Moon and Antarctica

I drove through the Park in May. Saw the largest elk I've ever seen in my life standing on the side of the road. I was the only car on the road. It was a spectacular sunset, totally perfect.

Was playing the Stones at the time. Some Girls.

Thanks for all the recommendations, keep 'em coming!

TallGuyCM
06-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm driving from LA to Seattle-ish on Monday. Four day roundtrip drive. All on the 5.

I think I'll use some of those LA to Fresno recs that I never got to for the first and fourth days...it's pretty much just farmland on the 5 the whole time between LA and Sacramento.

The pretty parts of the drive are what I could use some further recs for...visuals like this:

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/32c8d6451edb8dd83fdccf72130e4ec4/l.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj48/mochi_hana/Blog%20Photos/HeadingToMoms17.jpg

And of course, I could use an album or two for that dreadful stretch between Eugene and Portland.

Thanks!

Hannahrain
06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Also, what should we listen to when you stop in Portland to have dinner with me?

TallGuyCM
06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Also, what should we listen to when you stop in Portland to have dinner with me?

Barry White, duh.

bmack86
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Chris, did I tell you to listen to Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You? If not, that is a definite must.

Others:
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
The Gun Club - Fire of Love
Sunset-y time: Manitoba (now Caribou) - Up in Flames
Skip Spence - Oar
At night: Bjork - Homogenic
The Verlaines - Bird Dog

TallGuyCM
06-16-2012, 06:49 PM
You didn't. I've heard a few songs from that album, and I really like it. Thank you!

Unwound seems to be the rare occasion where a band's later work is their most acclaimed, eh?

SoulDischarge
06-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I've decided every roadtrip is required to include Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians.

bmack86
06-16-2012, 07:59 PM
You didn't. I've heard a few songs from that album, and I really like it. Thank you!

Unwound seems to be the rare occasion where a band's later work is their most acclaimed, eh?

I'd say that's the case. Their sixth album, Repetition, is the other one that people tend to recommend the most, but Leaves Turn Inside You is their masterpiece. One of my favorite albums I've ever heard, and sorely underheard.

Although, I'd say that Unwound were remarkably consistent throughout their career, never releasing anything less than a very good album.

Miroir Noir
06-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Either/Or in Oregon, Chris. Nirvana: Unplugged in Washington.

buddy
06-16-2012, 10:44 PM
I've listened to Nirvana - Nevermind while driving from Portland to Seattle. It's a pretty great way to listen to it.

TallGuyCM
06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Either/Or in Oregon, Chris. Nirvana: Unplugged in Washington.

This is happening. Merci beaucoup.

TallGuyCM
06-17-2012, 09:50 PM
I've got a pretty solid four days of listening ahead of me...leaving tomorrow. Any more recommendations?

Miroir Noir
06-17-2012, 09:57 PM
The new Pumpkins so you can tell me if I should even bother with it myself? ;)

TallGuyCM
06-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Today was pretty amazing overall.

Started out with what was the only regret of the day, with the new Smashing Pumpkins album. It's been getting surprisingly positive reviews, even from normally critical outlets, and as a fan of their older material I really thought I'd like it. But it was awful. Even more hollow and pointless than Zeitgeist, at least that album had a few good tunes on it. I just really hate their latter-day production, everything sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. And even the songs people have been saying good things about were dreadful.

I'll keep it short in regards to the rest of the day's listening:

Deerhunter - Weird Era Cont. - I had a sudden urge to listen to this going over the grapevine, and it was amazing. So many solid tracks that I hadn't noticed before.

Bert Jansch - L.A. Turnaround - Absolutely, without a doubt the highlight of today. His vocals reminded me a bit of Gordon Lightfoot, but with much stronger and more impressive instrumentation in the songs. The second track, the instrumental "Chambertin," was just incredible. Props to Still-Ill for the rec. Perfect for heading up the 5 in the middle of nowhere.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Firstborn is Dead - Another awesome recommendation. At this point, I was starting to feel a bit tired, and this gave me a bit of a second wind. The opening track, "Tupelo," is just all sorts of fantastic. Thanks, P.

Liars - WIXIW - I had originally intended to listen to another rec, but with the sun going down called an audible and put this on. So glad I did, it worked great in that context.

After that, I was getting pretty wiped and needed some solid adrenaline to get me to my destination, so I finished off the drive with The Men - Leave Home, Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come, and the first few songs from The Stooges' Fun House.

Good shit.

TallGuyCM
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Another fantastic drive today:

Television - Adventure - Not bad, but not great, especially when compared to Marquee Moon.

Thee Oh Sees - Carrion Crawler/The Dream - I was pretty fatigued right off the bat, and this always does the trick.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See a Darkness - I listened to this album for the first time near Lake Shasta last year on the same drive, and especially after having watched Old Joy a few months ago (which Oldham stars in, and features a lot of similar scenery), this was a must.

Will Oldham & Matt Sweeney - Superwolf - A perfect continuation of the previous record.

Elliott Smith - Either/Or - I hadn't listened to this front to back since college, and it was amazing. So glad MiroirNoir recommended it.

Atlas Sound - Logos - Had the urge to put this on while driving through the mountains. From where I stand, this really is Bradford's Person Pitch. It's very sleepy and much more subtle than PP, but every bit as brilliant. I put it on the same high pedestal that his best Deerhunter work is on, yet for some reason I seem to be the only one who loves this record so much. "Criminals" might be my favorite song he ever penned.

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You, Disc 1 - Wonderful. Reminded me a bit of Pinback at times. I had always avoided this band because of their name, they sound like they'd be some aggro metal band. Cursive and Primal Scream suffered the same assumptions, haha. Disc 2 tomorrow.

Manitoba - Up in Flames - This was an excellent listen as well. I'm not super well-versed in Snaith's material aside from Caribou's latest album, and this definitely makes me want to go back and spend some serious time with it all.

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York - Perfect for driving through the Pacific Northwest. The cover of the Meat Puppets' "Plateau" was the standout that floored me in high school, and "Oh Me" really stuck out today.

Pixies - Surfer Rosa - I've listened to this front to back probably 100 times, and I know they're from Boston or some shit, but they were so essential to the Seattle sound that I find it mandatory to listen to them when driving through this part of the country.

Thanks for all the recs!

TallGuyCM
06-22-2012, 01:02 AM

A.R. Kane: 69

These albums are all amazing. Thanks, gents!

Miroir Noir
06-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Glad you enjoyed you re-acquaintance with Either/Or!

Wrong thread, but have you seen Paranoid Park? Thinking of "Angeles" reminded me of that film, and of Gus Van Sant, the Pacific Northwest's great auteur and Elliott's friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxsPYNRGBgQ&feature=player_detailpage

TallGuyCM
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I haven't, but it's been in my Netflix queue forever. I need to get on that.

SoulDischarge
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, since it's probably been done before, but what is everyone's top 10 summer jam albums? What gets you in full on summer mode?

bmack86
06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Real Estate - Days
Parliament - Mothership Connection
White Zombie - Astro Creep: 2000
Led Zeppelin - 2

That's what I can think of off the top of my head

Gribbz
06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, since it's probably been done before, but what is everyone's top 10 summer jam albums? What gets you in full on summer mode?

Real Estate - Days
Tycho - Dive
Cut Copy - Zonoscope
Sonny & the Sunsets - Hit After Hit
O Brother, Where Art Thou? - OST
The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
The Kinks - Kinda Kinks
The Kinks - Something Else

bmack86
06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh, and also

Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness

Devin the Dude
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
how about some music for being confined, depressed and deathly ill, to my room for 4 months??

bmack86
06-24-2012, 11:51 PM
The Cure - Pornography
Brian Eno - Discreet Music
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
The Antlers - Hospice
Amon Tobin - Bricolage
Squarepusher - Music is Rotted One Note
Autechre - Tri Repetae+++
Roy Harper - Stormcock
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

As soon as you get out and see the sun:
Joanna Newsom - The Milk Eyed Mender

Hannahrain
06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Devin, listen to Human Bell - S/T. Listening now for the first time in a long time and I'm pretty certain I could peacefully choke on my own vomit to this.

bmack86
06-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Manitoba - Up in Flames - This was an excellent listen as well. I'm not super well-versed in Snaith's material aside from Caribou's latest album, and this definitely makes me want to go back and spend some serious time with it all.

The Milk of Human Kindness (the first Caribou album) is probably better than this one. I don't want to unilaterally commit, but some of the songs on that release are completely bullet-proof.

Edit: I just found out that John Schmersal is part of Caribou. As one of the driving forces of both Brainiac and Enon, two of the most incredible spaz-pop bands ever, I feel that deserves mention.

TallGuyCM
06-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Edit: I just found out that John Schmersal is part of Caribou. As one of the driving forces of both Brainiac and Enon, two of the most incredible spaz-pop bands ever, I feel that deserves mention.

haha, yeah John is the touring bass player for Caribou. He's the guy that my mom sat next to and proceeded to drink massive amounts of wine with on a flight from LA to Madrid last year. One of my better /cool story bros.

Oh, and my favorite summer albums of the past few years:

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
Ty Segall - Melted and Goodbye Bread

I've listened to all 3 of those albums so many times it's kind of unhealthy at this point.

amyzzz
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Can we request music for flights? 3 hours from Phoenix to Chicago, then 2.5 hours from Chicago to Fort Meyers, Fl -- I am staying on Sanibel Island all week. I may be reading for most of that time, so background reading music could be an option. I haven't heard anything very new except Jack White and Beach House from this year, and I need suggestions that are available on Spotify. Thanks, guys. :)

This is for tomorrow, July 7th, but I can also use music for my return trip on July 14th.

TomAz
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
amy - Another Green World

amyzzz
07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks, Tom. I added it to my Spotify. Any other suggestions welcome.

bmack86
07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Spiritualized - Laser Guided Melodies

Kyliediscope
08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I work at a wine shop/wine bar. I was so horrified at whomever put on their pandora which included a ton of Kings of Leon, so I am trying to compile a few nice playlists of music. What type of stuff would you like to listen to while swirling a nice glass of vino?

TallGuyCM
08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I work at a wine shop/wine bar. I was so horrified at whomever put on their pandora which included a ton of Kings of Leon, so I am trying to compile a few nice playlists of music. What type of stuff would you like to listen to while swirling a nice glass of vino?

http://www.gilles-arnaud-sphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/charles-mingus-the-black-saint-and-the-sinner-lady.jpg

bmack86
08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Joao Gilberto, Gal Costa, Edith Piaf, Jacques Brel

amyzzz
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
amy - Another Green World

Spiritualized - Laser Guided Melodies
I didn't like the first track on Brian Eno, so I gave up (sorry). Spiritualized was very nice and droney for my plane ride. Good choice!

guedita
08-06-2012, 04:43 PM
"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Elliot Lurie & Looking Glass

icedKeg
08-06-2012, 04:57 PM
"Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" - Elliot Lurie & Looking Glass

This.

And also these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JqPxmYhlo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qcafgLHe4&feature=watch_response

PassiveTheory
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
So... In just over two weeks time I'll be moving a bunch of stuff up the west coast with my dad. This journey will take 5-6 days and might drive me completely fucking insane. I turn to you to soundtrack my descent into madness.

SoulDischarge
08-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Nightmares On Wax for wine.

Gribbz
08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Driving around with getbetter to various LA establishments of ill repute.

SoulDischarge
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Pussy Galore.

TallGuyCM
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Driving around with getbetter to various LA establishments of ill repute.

Frank Zappa. There is a very high probability that he will have an album of his on-hand.

TallGuyCM
09-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Driving from LA to Phoenix tomorrow. And back on Saturday. I could use some recommendations!

bmack86
09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange
The Meat Puppets - Up On the Sun
Soundgarden - Louder than Love
The Dicks - Kill From the Heart
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour

TallGuyCM
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Awesome, thanks! Anyone else? :)

SoulDischarge
09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Go to my FB and download the two I-F mixes I uploaded.

TallGuyCM
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Done! Thank you!

Hannahrain
09-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Suddenly it feels like fall. Suggestions?

SoulDischarge
09-22-2012, 01:19 AM
It's really obvious, but an autumn without Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising is an incomplete one.

TallGuyCM
09-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Driving up to the Pacific Northwest next week again.

What are some of y'all's favorite albums from bands who came out of that region?

ods..
09-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Obvious, but Joanna Newsom from Nevada City is definitely a favorite. Her music is perfect for that drive too.

TallGuyCM
09-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Obvious, but Joanna Newsom from Nevada City is definitely a favorite. Her music is perfect for that drive too.

Definitely. She's already in the queue, based merely on the fact that she's playing the Bowl next Sunday after I get home. :)

mountmccabe
09-23-2012, 06:25 AM
The Dandy Warhols, ...Come Down
The Joggers - With A Cape and a Cane
The Thermals - The Body, the Blood, the Machine

Tim Hardin is also from Oregon; listen to his first or second record. They include the original versions of his songs "Reason to Believe," "If I Were A Carpenter" and "Black Sheep Boy."

I also might go for some Wolves in the Throne Room, the Sonics and Beat Happening.

bmack86
09-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Beat Happening - You Turn Me On
Wipers - Youth of America
Melvins - Houdini
Tad - God's Balls

TallGuyCM
10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
The Dandy Warhols, ...Come Down

This album is really, really good. Thank you for that! I had long discounted the band due to that silly Bohemian Like You song (which was in what seemed like every fucking movie trailer throughout the 2000s). Glad I went back and gave them a second chance!

SoulDischarge
05-16-2013, 05:48 AM
So. I'm always trying to figure out things to throw on my iPod to listen to while I'm driving my cab. I need stuff that is going to keep me engaged and moving without having to work too hard at connecting with it, and it shouldn't really alienate the passengers too much (not that it's ever stopped me from playing some weird stuff before).

Basically, cruising around town (in the nice weather for now) music.

FEELS
05-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Silver Jews - American Water

One of my favorite cruisin' records, multiple references to driving and good weather too.

TomAz
05-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Brian Eno needs to make Music for Taxis.

Miroir Noir
05-16-2013, 08:24 AM
http://youtu.be/Bx4aK-YsPeU

Miroir Noir
05-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Patrick you should try an old box set of pop songs from Rhino or someone. Try this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_a_Nice_Decade:_The_70s_Pop_Culture_Box) or this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_Omigod!_The_80s_Pop_Culture_Box_(Totally)).

Everyone's bound to find at least something they like on these, nothing too alienating for passengers.

Iamwelting
05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
I've always liked The Bees for sunny day cruising. Particularly the album Octopus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRsAGeE1yDE

bmack86
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
The Beta Band - The 3 EPs

TallGuyCM
05-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Steely Dan - Aja. You might laugh, but (especially if you've never heard it) try it and see!

ods..
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
The Beta Band - The 3 EPs

Good god yes. One of my favs

Prince - 3121

TallGuyCM
06-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Skip Spence - Oar

I finally listened to this for the first time today, and on the stretch of I-10 between the CA/AZ stateline and Indio, no less. Man, was that magnificent.

Grey/Afro!!!