PDA

View Full Version : Best Post Genesis Project or Side Project

SlowMotionApocalypse
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
My usual knee jerk reaction would be Phil Collins In The Air Tonight but I was just listening to Mike + The Mechanics and I would have to say All I Need Is A Miracle has to be just the perfect song. Can anyone dig?

Mugwog
05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Nah man.

bmack86
05-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Peter Gabriel - 3. Without a doubt.

Neighborhood Creep
05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I still don't get why Potvsktl wants you banned..

Mugwog
05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Its the ravishing good looks. He jealous of the beauty

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Phil Collins' first 3 solo albums are so fucking amazing.

ocbruin84
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
"Another Day in Paradise" has to be in my top 10-20 singles of all time. <3 everything Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel/etc

BobCaygeon
05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Although Peter Gabriel 4 (Security) is another candidate.

bmack86
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I like that one (and 2 has its charms as well, even though it's so claustrophobic) but the drum sound alone on 3 knocks me out every time. I also feel like it's Gabriel's best collection of songs, although 4, So and Us all rival it.

canexplain
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM

ditto cr****

zircona1
05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
*waits for someone to post that American Psycho excerpt*

ocbruin84
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I saw Genesis at the Bowl in 2007. It was fun.

TallGuyCM
05-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I saw Genesis at the Bowl in 2007. It was fun.

I was there too. Good show, but they didn't play what to me are their two best songs - That's All and Misunderstanding.

bmack86
05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Watcher of the Skies and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are my two faves.

ocbruin84
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Of course I came into them w/ the 80's stuff which is still my favorite but going backwards I do enjoy the early stuff and actually seeing some of it live opened me up to it further.

Probably my first introduction to Genesis and I didn't even know it. Still my favorite song, partially due to watching this on TV when I was like 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riLTX_aetgo

TallGuyCM
05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Watcher of the Skies and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are my two faves.

I meant Collins-era Genesis, since the show was with him fronting the band and most of, if not all, of what they played was the post-Gabriel stuff.

jgafs
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
ttxmYe4eIu4

all about the extended version...

BobCaygeon
05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
The "Classic Albums" show about Face Value is pretty watchable. The interview with the leader of the Phenix Horns is interesting (I paraphrase from memory): "We were asked to play with this guy Phil Collins, and we didn't know who he was. Somebody told us he played with a band called Genesis, and we didn't know what that was either."

Also, the story about how he ended up doing a funk version of Behind The Lines is pretty interesting too.

sonnyboy11
05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd give the nod to Security or Up. But those are not really post Genesis projects or side projects. Not sure what the hell that means, actually. I do like what PG did with Deep Forest. Maybe that counts here?

bmack86
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Peter Gabriel was in Genesis, and he did those after Genesis. By my understanding of the English language and time, that would make them Post-Genesis.

TomAz
05-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Correct answer, but don't feed this dimwit

sonnyboy11
05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Peter Gabriel was in Genesis, and he did those after Genesis. By my understanding of the English language and time, that would make them Post-Genesis.

Well, ok. Sure. Now that we're clear, I'll say anything Peter Gabriel ever did solo trumps anything else recorded by any other member of Genesis solo and anything ever done by Genesis as a group.

BobCaygeon
05-11-2012, 06:31 AM
...anything ever done by Genesis as a group.

Of which Genesis phase do you speak? Surely you can't be including The Lamb in this statement.

GuyInTucson
05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
My usual knee jerk reaction would be Phil Collins In The Air Tonight but I was just listening to Mike + The Mechanics and I would have to say All I Need Is A Miracle has to be just the perfect song. Can anyone dig?

Bizarre. This morning, I heard "The Living Years" playing loudly from a truck acrosss the street from my house and thought to myself, "SlowMotionApocalypse will probably create a thread about them at some point in attempts to troll the board". I had no clue you had already started a thread and brought them up in the initial post. Fucker.

bmack86
05-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Let's take this meth lab and turn it into something worthwhile. It's the music lounge: we can revive even the most blatantly stupid threads made by the most incredibly moronic and mouth-breathing individuals if there is some real musical worth to be discussed/argued. See:

Of which Genesis phase do you speak? Surely you can't be including The Lamb in this statement.

Surely he can! The Lamb is good but overlong and sometimes overwrought. Peter Gabriel's solo career, especially 3, has more menace and reserve than Genesis ever did.

ocbruin84
05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Bizarre. This morning, I heard "The Living Years" playing loudly from a truck acrosss the street from my house and thought to myself, "SlowMotionApocalypse will probably create a thread about them at some point in attempts to troll the board".

Sounds like this board is a pervasive element in your life

TomAz
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Let's take this meth lab and turn it into something worthwhile. It's the music lounge: we can revive even the most blatantly stupid threads made by the most incredibly moronic and mouth-breathing individuals if there is some real musical worth to be discussed/argued. See:

Surely he can! The Lamb is good but overlong and sometimes overwrought. Peter Gabriel's solo career, especially 3, has more menace and reserve than Genesis ever did.

Good points both. And I totally agree with you on The Lamb. It's Genesis' best but is not as good as at least 3 different Peter Gabriel solo albums.

TomAz
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
also can we get some love for 4, aka Security? I really like that album, it's probably my second favorite PG album. I saw him tour on it, it was an incredibly dramatic concert. It was in this campus music hall, maybe capacity 2000-3000? The lights go down, totally dark, no light on stage, nothing. Then from the back of the room, we hear the drums. ba dum ba dum ba dum. banging out this rhythm. dim light comes on in the hall PG & band enter from the back, walk down the aisle -- I had an aisle seat so PG WALKED RIGHT PAST ME -- climb up on stage, PG disappears, all the lights go out, then next thing you know PG is up on a platform 15 feet above the drum kit, spotlight on him as he sings the first notes of "The Rhythm of the Heat". fucking amazing.

ocbruin84
05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah Security's pretty cool/epic. I would have loved to see PG back in the day, as well as PC. I was so bummed when PC announced his retirement, I was delirious after wisdom teeth pulling and wanted to fly to Denver for his last show or some shit. Oh well at least I saw him w/ Genesis.

Here's what I filtered onto my iPod from PG:
1 - here comes the flood
3? - I don't remember
security - rhythm/san jacinto/i have the touch/shock/lay
so - red rain/sledgehammer/don't give up/in your eyes/mercy st
up - darkness/growing up/no way out/my head
us - blood

and then random stuff from Hit:solsbury, big time, steam, here comes the flood (new version?), father son, downside up, washing of the water, i have the touch remix

amyzzz
05-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Phil Collins retired? Damn.

ocbruin84
05-11-2012, 03:33 PM
He announced retirement from touring in 04 i think. (wisdom teeth memories) Of course he came out for Genesis. Then he did that Motown covers album recently and did a few shows at the Roseland Ballroom I think? Made a DVD and shit. Pretty sure my mom has it. Not the same as hearing his original stuff though.

BobCaygeon
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
also can we get some love for 4, aka Security? I really like that album, it's probably my second favorite PG album. I saw him tour on it, it was an incredibly dramatic concert. It was in this campus music hall, maybe capacity 2000-3000? The lights go down, totally dark, no light on stage, nothing. Then from the back of the room, we hear the drums. ba dum ba dum ba dum. banging out this rhythm. dim light comes on in the hall PG & band enter from the back, walk down the aisle -- I had an aisle seat so PG WALKED RIGHT PAST ME -- climb up on stage, PG disappears, all the lights go out, then next thing you know PG is up on a platform 15 feet above the drum kit, spotlight on him as he sings the first notes of "The Rhythm of the Heat". fucking amazing.

So jealous.

BobCaygeon
05-12-2012, 09:24 AM
I found some clips from the Face Value Classic Albums episode on YouTube.

From 0:00 to 0:43 of this clip they explain why Phil got the idea for the funk version of Behind the Lines.
From 2:13 to 2:28 Tom Tom Washington explains what the horns knew about Phil Collins at the outset (the quote I paraphrased above).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4jDPdhAmUg&feature=fvwrel

In this clip, from 2:14 to 3:11 Tom Tom explains how Phil told him what the horns were to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmkqXY57TM

SlowMotionApocalypse
05-12-2012, 10:54 AM

"Dire Straits"

PWNED