PDA

View Full Version : Stagecoach concert attendee sexually assaulted

Pages : [1] 2

gaypalmsprings
04-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Stagecoach concert attendee sexually assaulted

4:07 PM, Apr. 28, 2012

A 17-year-old girl was sexually assaulted while using the restrooms at Stagecoach Festival on Friday night, police said today.

The woman was using the portable bathrooms near the main entrance about 8:30 p.m. when a man broke through the locked door.

“The male and two others began sexually assaulting her,” police spokesman Ben Guitron said.

After the assault, the men ran away and the teen went to the first aid stand, where police were called. She was taken to a local hospital for medical treatment.

Guitron said police do not have a description of the men other than that one of the men was blond.

The teen is a non-Coachella Valley resident who was attending the festival with friends, Guitron said.

Last year, a Stagecoach parking lot attendant raped a 23-year-old festival attendee after helping her find her car.

Darin Ledale Garrett of Los Angeles was convicted in December of the April 30, 2011, rape. He was sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Indio police asked anyone with information in the assault to call detectives at (760) 391-4057 or anonymously call Crime Stoppers at (760) 341-7867.

HotHamWater
04-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Oh?

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?57854-Another-Stagecoach-another-sexual-assault&p=2482018#post2482018

hippityhip
04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Again? fucking sick bastards.

gaypalmsprings
04-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Damn...twice in one day.

TomAz
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
The war on women.

guedita
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
This asshole wasn't even wearing a cowboy hat? Everyone could see his blonde hair?

RedHotSgtPeppers
04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Funny how this doesn't happen when a festival with drug-fueled college kids is put on, but the second a bunch of redneck assholes go, the sexual assaults are handed out like candy.

TomAz
04-28-2012, 11:05 PM
how the hell do 4 people even fit in a portapotty? how the hell does no one else notice?

RedHotSgtPeppers
04-28-2012, 11:10 PM
how the hell do 4 people even fit in a portapotty? how the hell does no one else notice?

Umm... Handicapped stall? Hellllooooo

Or, everyone involved were midgets. BOOM LOGIC'd.

fatbastard
04-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Redneck's consider sexual assault as foreplay.

TomAz
04-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Umm... Handicapped stall? Hellllooooo

Or, everyone involved were midgets. BOOM LOGIC'd.

Edmond, OK

RedHotSgtPeppers
04-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Redneck's consider sexual assault as foreplay.

Edmond, OK

I can say with confidence that this statement is accurate. This state is full of idiot rednecks.

Neighborhood Creep
04-29-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't get how 3 people in a group think it's ok to do that. You'd think 1 of them would try to talk the other 2 out of it.

algunz
04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
how the hell does no one else notice?

This is the question I still want an answer to.

gaypalmsprings
04-29-2012, 08:23 AM
After last year's rape, women need to not drink too much & walk alone. It's a sad state of the world, but even the best security can't prevent acts of violence like this.

Yesterday I walked past a lot of groups of portapotties between the parking lot and the venue that had no security and no one around to witness anything should it occur. Even in a busy area yesterday, given the amount of alcohol consumed, things may not appear unusual until it's too late.

guedita
04-29-2012, 09:20 AM
I am so fucking sick of hearing the male centric position of preventing or avoiding sexual assault as an onus put upon women to protect themselves and not to be alone in public. The "sad state" of the world you speak of is that there isn't enough effort in fostering a world in which MEN DON'T SEXUALLY ASSULT WOMEN. Good fucking god.

sonofhal
04-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Paul Tollett said of Stagecoach "It's like Coachella with rape".

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
buddy system. i thought girls never went to the bathroom alone.

sent a text to my wife telling her to be careful out there after this happened. better to be on the offense than on the defense.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 09:34 AM
I am so fucking sick of hearing the male centric position of preventing or avoiding sexual assault as an onus put upon women to protect themselves and not to be alone in public. The "sad state" of the world you speak of is that there isn't enough effort in fostering a world in which MEN DON'T SEXUALLY ASSULT WOMEN. Good fucking god.

have to deal with what the reality is, though, not with the way it SHOULD be.

guedita
04-29-2012, 09:38 AM
No, that's not "what reality" is. Reality is not that men like yourselves and gaypalmsprings should be instructing or suggesting to women that they a) shouldn't drink (let's not even get into the fact that there's no mention that this girl in this instance even had been drinking) in public and that they equally shouldn't be by themselves in public. It's a lazy cop out of addressing larger systemic problems and a cute way of placing rape blame on women rather than on actual perpetrators.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 09:40 AM
i'm not placing blame on the women. go on with your indignation, though.

guedita
04-29-2012, 09:43 AM
After last year's rape, women need to not drink too much & walk alone. It's a sad state of the world, but even the best security can't prevent acts of violence like this.

Uh, actually, that is absolutely an example of placing the blame on the victims.

algunz
04-29-2012, 09:43 AM
It is bullshit, Gue.

Yet it is a sad reality.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Uh, actually, that is absolutely an example of placing the blame on the victims.

is my username gps?

algunz
04-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Saying that women need to use a buddy system is a bit offensive.

gaypalmsprings
04-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Sexual assault is about violence. It's not about women and sex. When I travel to New Orleans, I always get advice (as a male & especially as a gay male) to never be alone and/or drunk in public. After midnight, take a taxi, do not walk alone.

At Coachella, I have no fears as a gay male. At Stagecoach, since both my vehicles have gay plates, I drive the older vehicle in case it gets vandalized. I tone down my gayness (if that can be done) since I know there are bunches of rednecks who would love to beat my ass. I don't drink, so that helps a lot. But when I leave early and go back to the parking lot - there are lots of places that someone can be mugged. I always keep an eye out in all directions. If I feel unsafe, I change my walking speed or direction.

Despite awareness, several friends of mine have been mugged or been gay-bashed (not at Stagecoach, though a friend's son was severely beaten at Stagecoach 2 years ago). I have been lucky so far.

Violence isn't gender based. So don't feel so "male-centric" in your thinking.

hippityhip
04-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I agree with Guedita and Algunz. Limitations shouldn't be set on how women should act and what they can do. What are we back in fucking 1812? Oh sweetie don't drink too much. Wearing sexy clothes and drinking you're just asking to get raped. Fuck that. The reality is these fucktwads and all others that rape women should get their fucking dicks cut off.

RedHotSgtPeppers
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
How is it offensive? How many times has a rape happened when a woman was alone? It isn't putting the blame on the victims, it's only playing it smart. If you were a rapist, and you saw two women walking along, you'd be far less likely to get yo' rapin' on than if the woman was alone.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
guess i am just basing that off of a majority of women i know around here who go running at 5am before work always going with a friend, with a big part of that being for safety. their words. or friends whose teens are going out and telling them not to get separated, to look out for each other. we are taught from a young age that there is strength in numbers. i mean, shit, i'd feel much safer and much prefer to be in a group or with a friend than walking alone somewhere at night. i got attacked in dublin, ireland while walking down a street one evening. these 3 guys walked by and swung a scooter lock into my knee which made me crumple. i'm just lucky they were younger kids, if they were older and looking for more trouble i would have been screwed. it was the last time i walked alone there. buddy system ain't just for girls.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Absolutely true GayPalm, but if you were attacked they wouldn't likely put any bit of blame on you for walking alone because you were gay. Yet when women are assaulted there's ALWAYS that implication that somehow they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing - drinking, dressing sexy, or even just walking alone.

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
BURKAS ON LADIES. ONLY YOU AND HIDING YOUR OWN BLATANT PROMISCUITY CAN PREVENT RAPE. IGNORE THE WHOLE FORCIBLE PENETRATION ASPECT OF IT COMPLETELY.

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
How is it offensive? How many times has a rape happened when a woman was alone? It isn't putting the blame on the victims, it's only playing it smart. If you were a rapist, and you saw two women walking along, you'd be far less likely to get yo' rapin' on than if the woman was alone.

By this adorable logic, I suppose I'm due for a rape, since I spend a lot of time alone in public.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:06 AM

And how many times has a rape happened when you were with someone you thought you could trust? Like a security guard or a date?

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:09 AM
RedHotSgtPeppers seems to blissfully ignore the statistical fact that 2/3 of rapes don't even occur out in public. But who needs figures and data when there's antiquated mythology to perpetuate?

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Absolutely true GayPalm, but if you were attacked they wouldn't likely put any bit of blame on you for walking alone because you were gay.

at a good ol' 'merican country music festival? i'll bet they would.

hippityhip
04-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't get how 3 people in a group think it's ok to do that. You'd think 1 of them would try to talk the other 2 out of it.

Oh man it happens. So I was living in Berkeley a couple years ago and I got a great job in a city called San Pablo which is north of Berkeley. I had to walk past a city called Richmond on my way to work. Well when I told my coworkers the path I was walking thru they told me to keep my head up and be cautious. Being from LA I told them I've probably walked thru the worst possible hoods you can imagine so I wasn't too worried. I'm a fit guy so I can handle my own. They go on to tell me that in 2009 at Richmond HS some 15 year old was raped by 7 men for 3 hours at the school after a dance. All the while up to 20 individuals reportedly videotaped and took pictures of the incident. No one reported it until someone heard about it at home hours later. I'm not even gonna go into what they did to this poor girl you can look up the incident on your own. It's fucking disgusting. Sorry if I'm being a bit too harsh about this but I got two young sisters and I'll be damned if anything like this ever happens to them.

gaypalmsprings
04-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Absolutely true GayPalm, but if you were attacked they wouldn't likely put any bit of blame on you for walking alone because you were gay. Yet when women are assaulted there's ALWAYS that implication that somehow they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing - drinking, dressing sexy, or even just walking alone.

The police are notorious for blaming gay males. Transgender males who dress as women are blamed for the way they dress and act. Effeminate men (gay or straight) are blamed and are first to be raped in jail.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
It's very romantic to imagine "fostering a world" where men are better educated about how they shouldn't rape women, as opposed to telling women to take extra precautions because of prowling men. And I say it's very romantic, because I don't think the problem is so much that men think they're justified in raping scantily-dressed, drunk women: It is a problem with criminal men, and you can't hope to erase them from the world. You cannot ignore that criminal men - men who know that they are committing crimes - will take advantage of drunk and lonely women. That isn't a criticism about gender. It just stands to logic, not sexism, that if women are sober and with friends, they will be better protected against an unavoidable element. After all, how do you prevent criminals from entering a festival who have yet to commit the crime? I'm not saying that women must be sober, and that they must use the buddy system. I'm just saying that you cannot mistake that for a sexist remark, when clearly, women are the targets in this scenario. Bob pointed out scenarios where he can be a target. There are certainly places where I, a straight male, would benefit from being sober and being with buddies - I'm a small person who can be easily mugged, for example.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
BURKAS ON LADIES. ONLY YOU AND HIDING YOUR OWN BLATANT PROMISCUITY CAN PREVENT RAPE. IGNORE THE WHOLE FORCIBLE PENETRATION ASPECT OF IT COMPLETELY.

I wouldn't simplify it to forcible penetration. Sexual assault of any form should not be happening to anybody.

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:16 AM
You guys, and I mean, you men are aware that 2/3 of rapes/sexual assaults are committed by non-strangers, not in public, right? So no, the overarching "advice" to women to avoid getting raped is still not based on some logic that they shouldn't be alone in public or intoxicated in public.

It's clearly that we should all be isolated in towers, surrounded by thorny brambles to ward off predators.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:16 AM

But I don't think Gay or JustSteve were implying this at all.

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't simplify it to forcible penetration. Sexual assault of any form should not be happening to anybody.

"Forcible penetration" in this instance doesn't necessarily signify an actual phallic entry. It's a forcible penetration of any sort when a person feels violated.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:18 AM
You guys, and I mean, you men are aware that 2/3 of rapes/sexual assaults are committed by non-strangers, not in public, right? So no, the overarching "advice" to women to avoid getting raped is still not based on some logic that they shouldn't be alone in public or intoxicated in public.

It's clearly that we should all be isolated in towers, surrounded by thorny brambles to ward off predators.

We're talking about a music festival, though. I don't think it is as absurd as you are trying to make it seem. Yeah, 2/3 of rapes/sexual assaults will probably be from that jackass somebody knows, but I bet that 1/3 stranger-factor is definitely something to consider at a thing like Stagecoach.

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:19 AM
In what way is:

1. Oh no, someone else was sexually assaulted at Stagecoach this year

2. After last year's rape, women shouldn't drink in public and shouldn't walk around alone

Not an implication that intoxication, vagina-possesion, and being alone are causal elements in hypothetical or real sexual assaults?

malcolmjamalawesome
04-29-2012, 10:19 AM
ITT: Rape is an "unavoidable element"

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:20 AM
at a good ol' 'merican country music festival? i'll bet they would.

A portion of the festival goers definitely. They are a part of a sad group of society who haven't opened their eyes yet, but when it comes to assault against women the reaction of putting even a tiny bit of blame on her is far more prevalent than those who "support" gay bashing. I mean, for the most part, you are a group of forward thinking, intelligent men and even here the immediate reaction was she shouldn't have been doing this or that.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-29-2012, 10:21 AM
We're talking about a music festival, which are known for rapes, though, duh.

fixed

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
In what way is:

1. Oh no, someone else was sexually assaulted at Stagecoach this year

2. After last year's rape, women shouldn't drink in public and shouldn't walk around alone

Not an implication that intoxication, vagina-possesion, and being alone are causal elements in hypothetical or real sexual assaults?

The argument isn't that intoxication, vagina-possession, and being alone are sufficient for sexual assaults; it is that being sober and with friends are sufficient for preventing sexual assault. Also, we are noting that it is women that are more likely to be sexually assaulted.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-29-2012, 10:23 AM
We're talking about a Civil War reenactment, though.

guedita
She went into that port-a-potty all by herself? She didn't go into a toilet with a buddy? Well, then. Well, then, indeed.

Alchemy
ITT: Rape is an "unavoidable element"

Criminals are the "unavoidable element" in that post. Not rape.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-29-2012, 10:25 AM
It's just logic. If she'd strapped a bear trap to her crotch or had her vagina sewn shut then it's less likely she'd be raped.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
The argument isn't that intoxication, vagina-possession, and being alone are sufficient for sexual assaults; it is that being sober and with friends are sufficient for preventing sexual assault. Also, we are noting that it is women that are more likely to be sexually assaulted.

This "argument" shouldn't even be happening. I support Gue's initial comment of we shouldn't be discussing what the victim could have done to avoid it, but we should be trying to design and foster a world where these so called criminally minded (which in itself sounds like a free pass for despicable behavior) are not allowed to be so opportunistic.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Logically, if women would just undergo operations to become men, then women would not get raped.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I officially reject referring to guedita as "Gue"

sonofhal
04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I need a shit - but I'm going to wait for my wife to get home just in case. Hold on - she's walking back from the gym on her own and not wearing a burka.

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
ISOLATED RAPE PREVENTION TOWERS AND BEAR TRAP CLAP PROTECTION DEVICES FOR ALL!

*Check with your insurance provider.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I officially reject referring to guedita as "Gue"

You obviously don't hang out with many Spanish speakers. Fucking racist!

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Is it pronounced, "Whay?"

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:38 AM
This "argument" shouldn't even be happening. I support Gue's initial comment of we shouldn't be discussing what the victim could have done to avoid it, but we should be trying to design and foster a world where these so called criminally minded (which in itself sounds like a free pass for despicable behavior) are not allowed to be so opportunistic.

Oh, I wouldn't say that being a criminal is a free pass for despicable behavior. The reason that I say criminals is because in the case of sexual assault from strangers (which is the case here; not the case where a friend sexually assaults a girl because he thinks she truly wanted it), it is a problem that these guys are committing crimes based on what they want. In other words, they know that "no" means "no." The reason they are raping somebody or sexually assaulting somebody is because they want to commit that crime. It would be very difficult to foster a world where you eliminate crimes.

Now, in the case of somebody raping somebody, because they assumed that she saying "no," was really just her not knowing that she wanted to say, "yes." Yeah, we can probably right that wrong a bit better than we are already doing. But that isn't the type of sexual assault that the "argument" being had is about.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Kind of. Some may place a slight G sound at the beginning, but it's very subtle.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 10:39 AM
you mean it isn't referring to this:

The gue is an extinct type of two-stringed bowed lyre or zither from the Shetland Isles.[1] Now extinct, the instrument was alive as recently as 1809, and was described in the writings of Sir Arthur Edmondstone.[2]
The exact details of the gue are unclear, but it possibly resembled extinct bowed lyres such as the Norwegian giga, or the extant Swedish and Estonian talharpa or Finnish jouhikko. However, other ethnomusicologists believe the gue more resembled the Icelandic fiđla, a two-stringed bowed zither. Peter Cooke notes the prevalence of the tautirut bowed zither among the Inuit peoples in areas of Canada influenced by Orkney and Shetland sailors, as possible evidence that the Inuit bowed lyre is based on a Shetland model.

or this from urban dictionary?

1. gue
Acronym for 'Go Ugly Early'. A getting laid technique for men. Rather than spend an inordinate amount of time and money on a beautiful, or good-looking woman, in a bar, to Gue would be to pick out the ugliest woman and woo her early before all the guys who got shot down on better looking women come after her.
Male friend 1: Check out the hot chick over there, are you going to hit on her?

Male fried 2: Naw, I want a sure thing, so it's gue for me tonight.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-29-2012, 10:39 AM
"That bitch could've listened to country music at home."

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
"They invented adult diapers for a reason, ladies."

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I also want to say that while I don't think that intoxication, vagina-possession, and being alone are sufficient for sexual assaults, I DO think that country music is sufficient for sexual assault. It is also probably true that sexual assault is necessary for country music.

algunz
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
So many great country songs wouldn't exist without assault and GUE moments.

I fucking hate country music.

fatbastard
04-29-2012, 11:08 AM
http://static.ibnlive.com/pix/slideshow/05-2011/stagecoach-californias-country/07-california-country-music-festival-020511.jpg

http://www.surfersam.com/funny-pictures/overalls.jpg

algunz
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Ugh, how they taint our polo fields.

fatbastard
04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
They get our sloppy seconds.

The photo of the guy is from the stagecoach message board.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
just remember, though, no stagecoach no coachella.

algunz
04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I know. I know. Breath . . .

SepaGroove
04-29-2012, 11:24 AM
just remember, though, no stagecoach no coachella.

Why is that? Coachella was around long before Stragecoach, wasn't it? I thought it was actually the opposite.

And fuck people at Stagecoach, that's so sketchy. Two years in a row there's a rape? You've gotta be kidding me.

TomAz
04-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Violence isn't gender based. So don't feel so "male-centric" in your thinking.

I think this is flawed thinking GPS. No one is suggesting that women are the only victims of violence in the world. But rape is a violent act done by a man to a woman because of her gender.

Also, this talk that 'she shouldn't have gone alone' (RHSP & others) is ridiculous. The woman was at a music festival with 35,000 other people. It's not like she was walking down a deserted alley alone late at night.

luckyface
04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
But rape is a violent act done by a man to a woman because of her gender.

Not sure that is the definition, Tom. Rape can take place with any combination of genders.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
And the buddy system and being sober isn't an exclusive protection for women, either. It's just the basic advice for anyone to be safe. All I'm saying is that I don't think people here actually believe that a woman being alone or being drunk is what leads to her getting sexually assaulted. I think people are saying that using the buddy system and not being drunk lead to being safe (or safer, at least). And there is a big difference between the two things.

captncrzy
04-29-2012, 01:06 PM

This is ridiculously hyperbolic.

And the buddy system and being sober isn't an exclusive protection for women, either. It's just the basic advice for anyone to be safe. All I'm saying is that I don't think people here actually believe that a woman being alone or being drunk is what leads to her getting sexually assaulted. I think people are saying that using the buddy system and not being drunk lead to being safe (or safer, at least). And there is a big difference between the two things.

Tim is correct here. People will get sexually assulted regardless of their dress, location, status in life, etc. (Ladies in burkas get raped too, you know). But there's also nothing wrong with employing some behaviors that can discourage it. I don't think either Bob or Steve meant to imply that this lady was doing something she shouldn't have been doing, regardless of how it translates in text. I really took it as a "hey, guys, be safe out there."

Grandma
04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYMhClL4lU

guedita
04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
"Women: protect yourselves" is still inherently more patronizing of a response to a sexual assault than, "Men: stop raping women."

algunz
04-29-2012, 01:15 PM
This is ridiculously hyperbolic.

So is saying that if we employ the buddy system and don't drink we'll never get raped.

JustSteve
04-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Why is that? Coachella was around long before Stragecoach, wasn't it? I thought it was actually the opposite.

And fuck people at Stagecoach, that's so sketchy. Two years in a row there's a rape? You've gotta be kidding me.

they had to add a weekend of stagecoach to ensure that the festival could stay where it was, so the property owner could make the kind of money he needed to keep it as polo fields and not sell it off to become another housing tract.

captncrzy
04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
So is saying that if we employ the buddy system and don't drink we'll never get raped.

This is a conclusion you're drawing. No one said that.

guedita
04-29-2012, 01:36 PM
As a safety precaution, perhaps we should prohibit men from imbibing in public when women are present. Oh, wait, that's ludicrous. Let's just go back to encouraging women not to drink in public when men are around.

TomAz
04-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Rape can take place with any combination of genders.

This is truth, and it is also foolishness. "The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (1999) estimated that 91% of United States rape victims were female and 9% were male, with 99% of the offenders being male and 1% of the offenders being female.". So we are talking about something that is 90+% men using violence on women.

ods..
04-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Men and women should be separated at all times. The Orthodox Jews were right.

http://images.alarabiya.net/c5/57/640x392_78675_184486.jpg

marooko
04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Maybe it was covered already, but was her outfit "asking for it"?

SepaGroove
04-29-2012, 02:11 PM
they had to add a weekend of stagecoach to ensure that the festival could stay where it was, so the property owner could make the kind of money he needed to keep it as polo fields and not sell it off to become another housing tract.

Oh ok, didn't know that

ocbruin84
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
LOL so Goldenvoice only started Stagecoach to keep Coachella alive? It all makes sense now....

greghead
04-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Let's just go back to encouraging women not to drink in public when men are around.

I don't think anyone is suggesting this. Hyperbole is fun, though.

I think everybody needs to pay more attention to personal safety, not just women or men or people at music festivals or whatever. This poor girl did nothing wrong. SHE LOCKED THE FUCKING DOOR AND THEY TORE IT OPEN! What else could she have done, how much "safer" could she have been? You fucks. It isn't like she was walking in a dark alley or park or wherever it is you assholes think women should not be walking. She was at a music festival, in a well-lit area generally populated by lots of people.

Personally, I blame the people around her for not noticing that these dirtbags were trying to get into the porta-john. She had no idea they were there until it was too late, can't really blame her for not having x-ray vision. But what about all the other people too caught up with themselves to notice some really shady behavior? I doubt they got the door open the first try. What about the people who saw three guys pulling hard on a locked door and did nothing? I'll blame the fuck out of them, not the victim.

hangthedj112
04-29-2012, 03:04 PM

Yesterday I walked past a lot of groups of portapotties between the parking lot and the venue that had no security and no one around to witness anything should it occur. Even in a busy area yesterday, given the amount of alcohol consumed, things may not appear unusual until it's too late.

Wow, seriously fuck you. Should women also avoid wearing short skirts too?

Dissappinting to see a fellow 'mo with such an incredibly ignorant and misogynistic opinion. (oh and fuck you again.)
Only in America do they teach you, "Don't get raped," instead of "Don't rape people" Yay rape culture, thanks 4 promoting it GPS

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
"Women: protect yourselves" is still inherently more patronizing of a response to a sexual assault than, "Men: stop raping women."

I think it's inherently patronizing only because there have been loud people, like politicians and lawyers, who say that women get raped because they did not protect themselves. But I don't think you can claim that everybody is being condescending for saying "Women: protect yourselves," unless everyone did take the lack of protection as the cause of sexual assault.

Also, for someone to say, "Men: stop raping women," while correctly identifying the cause of men raping women, is absurd. Unless our board contains a bunch of rapists, and Gay was telling us to cool it down, then the response would be useless. Then again, there probably aren't a lot of women here that are going to Stagecoach, so it's all pretty useless. But useless does not equal condescending.

No, employing the buddy system and not getting drunk will lead to you being safer. Being alone and being drunk are not required for rape, but they will lead you to being less safe. The only way you can really prevent rape is by eliminating the rapist, but how do you do that at Stagecoach, within reason?

As a safety precaution, perhaps we should prohibit men from imbibing in public when women are present. Oh, wait, that's ludicrous. Let's just go back to encouraging women not to drink in public when men are around.

You want to make it seem as though we are saying that for women to not drink is a better solution than men not drinking, but I doubt anybody is saying that. I think people are saying that encouraging women not to drink (or better: not to get drunk) is a more effective thing to be said, because whereas any of us can be a victim, it's less likely that any of us are the criminal.

It's analogous to telling people, "Don't go into that dark alleyway without friends - especially if you are drunk," being a better suggestion than telling the people, "If you hang out in that alleyway, don't bother anybody," as if those people will be in your audience.

Of course, I don't think Stagecoach is a dark alleyway. Like I said, it's useless, but not sexist.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Dissappinting to see a fellow 'mo with such an incredibly ignorant and misogynistic opinion. (oh and fuck you again.)
Only in America do they teach you, "Don't get raped," instead of "Don't rape people" Yay rape culture, thanks 4 promoting it GPS

Dude, I really don't believe that Gay, or anyone, is saying "Don't get raped," instead of "Don't rape people." A lot of people are trying to force him to adopt the stance that women cause their own rape, just because he said, "After last year's rape, women need to not drink too much & walk alone." He is only implying that last year's rape, and this year's sexual assault, have made Stagecoach a dangerous place for women.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
A more useful thread for us would be to advice people not to dance so fast, because that is how you get AIDS.

heart cooks brain
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM

MEN STOP RAPING WOMEN PLEASE

chairmenmeow47
04-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Paul Tollett said of Stagecoach "It's like Coachella with rape".

LOL

and i know i'm late to the thread, but preach on, cara. i agree with alchemy that it is good to take precautions to protect yourself, but it's shitty that we have to do that.

and i absolutely HATE the argument that "rape is about power/violence, not sex". maybe there are encounters where this is true (random parking garage assaults maybe?). but i can tell you that the two times it happened to me, it was definitely about sex, with two different men whom i was dating. in one case, my friends were only a tennis court away. i called out, but he put his hand over my mouth.

my point being, no matter how careful we are, this shit still happens and it's not our fault. how scary for the poor girl at stagecoach. i hope she is ok.

captncrzy
04-29-2012, 03:53 PM

This is just a fucking overblown and stupid response. It's clear that's not what he meant. Since when does "hey ladies, let's be a little safer out there" translate to "rapists 4lyfe"?

captncrzy
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
LOL

but it's shitty that we have to do that..

I sort of see what you're saying, but that's kind of like saying "it's shitty we have to lock our doors because of rapists" or "it's shitty we have to wear seat belts because of drunk drivers" or "it's shitty we can't wear our hundred dollar bills on necklaces because of robbers". Doing things to help prevent crimes helps prevent them.

my point being, no matter how careful we are, this shit still happens and it's not our fault. how scary for the poor girl at stagecoach. i hope she is ok.

/thread

Mugwog
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Thing is, the men who commit rape can't understand this whole "don't commit rape its bad" thing. To feel patronized about being reminded there are rapist and awful people in the world is the wrong way to take the statements made by others. Every woman may not be as aware as you are, not every person is the same. It's unfortunate that she was the victim of a terrible act, there is only so much one can do for themselves before another decides to commit a heinous act, where they (the attacker) are clearly in a deranged mindset.

It's a shame a 17 yr old girl was gang raped by 3 awful human beings, hopefully a DNA test will fetch them results.
We as a society can only do so much, when a lot comes down to each individual life and upbringing. Sexuality of women will never be taken away from society. There were plenty of scum at coachella this year. For all we know no rapes may have been reported, but some may have taken place, whether sOme girl blacked out and passed out or lured with drugs/alcohol into a mindstate where they are not really conscious of what's going on. Statistically a large number of rapes go unreported and the law only does so much to go after the ones that do get reported. Unless we administer mandatory castration for first rape offense, we won't see it dip down much. Even if such a punishment Was the law, there would be deranged idiots out there still committing rapes unfortunately.

So rape is bad don't do it, but also be aware of rapist, because they exist.

stinkbutt
04-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Rapists don't understand right from wrong?

SoulDischarge
04-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Keeping your panties on is wrong. What's hard to understand about that?

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
There were plenty of scum at coachella this year. For all we know no rapes may have been reported, but some may have taken place, whether sOme girl blacked out and passed out or lured with drugs/alcohol into a mindstate where they are not really conscious of what's going on.

I heard the Sahara Tent was raped at both weekends.

eudaemonia
04-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Thing is, the men who commit rape can't understand this whole "don't commit rape its bad" thing... Unless we administer mandatory castration for first rape offense, we won't see it dip down much. Even if such a punishment Was the law, there would be deranged idiots out there still committing rapes unfortunately

I don't agree on that 2nd part.

Current society's punishment isn't enough. Lock them up? Right, so they can bond with other dicks who have done the same or worse, let 'em compare notes.

If we cut off the penis of a convicted rapist, that's likely for them not to do it again, yes? And I would think the prospect of getting one's penis cut off will scare the shit out of any man considering using it for the wrong reasons. Deranged idiots will exist, but I think jerks who use it in the form of date rape will think twice.

It's not so bad. Lorena Bobbitt did it easily and John slept thru it, didn't feel a thing...

Seriously, stop punishing the women for walking into a situation considered "the wrong place, at the wrong time", much like deranged idiots, I think the act of voluntarily doing such a thing is a minority. We don't look for it, it just happens. Start punishing (or increase the level of punishment at) the assholes who do the crime.

stinkbutt
04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
How many aliases can BD possibly have?

bmack86
04-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Thing is, increased punishment really wouldn't cause a marked decrease in rapes. We've seen this with other impulse-driven crimes. Nobody doing something as fucked as raping someone is thinking about the consequences whatsoever when they're committing the crime. If they were, they wouldn't be committing a crime, usually. Instead, we should work on ways to find more effectively understand what causes someone to be a rapist and how we can stem that before it gets to be a problem. And, despite what common belief would be right now, I would wager that there are some shared traits amongst a majority of people who commit rape. Something mentally, something in their childhood.

We could do a better, more effective job of combating this.

Mugwog
04-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Keeping your panties on is wrong. What's hard to understand about that?

I believe if more women wore no underwear we would have a safer America

SoulDischarge
04-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Brothels.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 06:32 PM
If we cut off the penis of a convicted rapist, that's likely for them not to do it again, yes? And I would think the prospect of getting one's penis cut off will scare the shit out of any man considering using it for the wrong reasons. Deranged idiots will exist, but I think jerks who use it in the form of date rape will think twice.

I'd hate to think of all the falsely convicted guys who'd get their penis cut off.

Instead, we should work on ways to find more effectively understand what causes someone to be a rapist and how we can stem that before it gets to be a problem. And, despite what common belief would be right now, I would wager that there are some shared traits amongst a majority of people who commit rape. Something mentally, something in their childhood.

One of the elements might be found in country music. I hope it's not slide guitar, though.

the walrus
04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
people are going to get raped, its a sad truth.
you want prevention... its a little hard when your at a festival that doesn't allow protective weapons of any kind and its 1 vs 3
prevention in a perfect world would be for guys to not rape, however its not that simple.
so if your at a concert and don't want to get raped try your hardest not to be alone.
am i blaming the victim, no. its simply how you get victimized, being alone!
no douche is going to go after a chick who's mobbing to the bathroom in a group of 5

another solution would be video recorded entrances to the portos..... would you like that?

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Actually, what should have prevented this was portapotty attendants. Not that they should be there to prevent rapes. They should be there to make sure things don't get too messy. But where were those people when three guys barged into a portapotty?

frazzles
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
people are going to get raped, its a sad truth.
you want prevention... its a little hard when your at a festival that doesn't allow protective weapons of any kind and its 1 vs 3
prevention in a perfect world would be for guys to not rape, however its not that simple.
so if your at a concert and don't want to get raped try your hardest not to be alone.
am i blaming the victim, no. its simply how you get victimized, being alone!
no douche is going to go after a chick who's mobbing to the bathroom in a group of 5

another solution would be video recorded entrances to the portos..... would you like that?

...I don't even...what?

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Try your hardest.

fatbastard
04-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Move Stagecoach to Cartagena.

algunz
04-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Guantanamo.

BROKENDOLL
04-29-2012, 07:53 PM
How many aliases can BD possibly have?
Considering the stupidity of your question, I'm guessing that the two that I have are more than the amount of braincells you can brag about.

BROKENDOLL
04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
The average size of a porta potty is 35"-45" square and 88" tall.
The average size of a Stetson Hat is about 25" across.
The average life span of a Bo-Hunk erection lasts for approximately 8 seconds.
FACT: That poor girl got traumatized more by those 3 fucking cowboys trying to fit in that porta-potty with her than the 24 second rape that may have occurred.

unit300021
04-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I think this picture is appropriate for the conversation, however me being a male posting it might not be.

algunz
04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
That has got to be the stupidest fucking thing you have ever said, BD.

guedita
04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I think this picture is appropriate for the conversation, however me being a male posting it might not be.

It absolutely is appropriate. This whole "males can't be aligned with the entire ethos of feminism out of fear of not being a proper feminist" stigma is absurd. I'd encourage all of you to actually check out what prompted Slut Walk to begin with.

algunz
04-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Or Take Back the Night

TomAz
04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Since when does "hey ladies, let's be a little safer out there" translate to "rapists 4lyfe"?

When the first words in response to "a girl got raped" are "she should have been more careful". Which is exactly what happened in this thread.

algunz
04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Thank you, Tom.

gaypalmsprings
04-29-2012, 09:38 PM
When I left Stagecoach tonight, the security guard said "Drive safely." I was offended - he thinks men should drive safely - this assumes that men drive terribly. I should not have been singled out. If I want to drive safe or unsafe, it's my choice. No one should tell me what to do. Especially some man.

fatbastard
04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Maybe he seen the NASCAR hat and assumed your heavy on the gas peddle.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
When the first words in response to "a girl got raped" are "she should have been more careful". Which is exactly what happened in this thread.

But that's not really what happened in this thread. Is it? I mean, maybe I'm more optimistic than some of you, and I'm incorrectly assuming that GPS isn't a rapist sympathizer. I really read his response to "a girl got raped" as "stagecoach isn't safe for girls anymore," which is quite a different thing to suggest.

But, whatever: GPS, you are a pig. I hate you.

captncrzy
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
More hyperbole. It's not "exactly" what happened. And to imply that GPS is pro-raper because he said "After what happened last year, girls need to not drink and walk around alone" is just idiotic. And as a boob and vagina card carrying member, I seriously don't get why the ladies in here got so bent out of shape. I'm more offended that my daughter was told that she's not allowed to wear slacks at her high school graduation.

Shit's fucked up. That girl did nothing to deserve this. I hope those idiots get corncobbed in jail..a lot. People DO need to be more cautious of their surroundings. You really can't argue any of those points.

luckyface
04-29-2012, 10:38 PM
More hyperbole. It's not "exactly" what happened. And to imply that GPS is pro-raper because he said "After what happened last year, girls need to not drink and walk around alone" is just idiotic. And as a boob and vagina card carrying member, I seriously don't get why the ladies in here got so bent out of shape. I'm more offended that my daughter was told that she's not allowed to wear slacks at her high school graduation.

Thank you Jen for being rational. Completely agree.

captncrzy
04-29-2012, 10:40 PM
"musical notes" captncrzy=unlikely voice of reason "musical notes"

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:54 PM
When I left Stagecoach tonight, the security guard said "Drive safely." I was offended - he thinks men should drive safely - this assumes that men drive terribly. I should not have been singled out. If I want to drive safe or unsafe, it's my choice. No one should tell me what to do. Especially some man.

Let's talk about what you might have felt like if a security guard said this to you after you got hit by a moving vehicle.

Is logic really that hard for some of you?

Some of you people?

guedita
04-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Maybe someone should just create a "this male got hit by a car thread," and wait for posters to austerely agree that, had you driven safer, it more likely wouldn't have happened to you. And that by and large, males just should probably not even attempt to drive by themselves, because this will increase their chances of not getting hit by another car.

Not, of course: what are the broader systemic problems of the way people injured in car accidents happen? though?

algunz
04-29-2012, 11:00 PM
This is my frustration too. I don't think most understand what it's like to be hurt so badly and then have people try to pacify you by saying if only you had . . .

guedita
04-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Certainly not: "Why are we cultivating a car-centric world in which power and dominance are exerted and expressed through symbolic physical measures of prowess not limited to driving a car fast and hard." Especially not that.

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Let's talk about what you might have felt like if a security guard said this to you after you got hit by a moving vehicle.

Is logic really that hard for some of you?

Some of you people?

Is it really not obvious in his example that guard is wishing him to "drive safely." If I told you, "Have a good sleep, Cara!" you wouldn't take it as this: "If you have a nightmare tonight, it's your own damn fault!" Even if he was hit by a car, if he was going to drive away again, it wouldn't condescending if the guard wished him to "drive safely." Even if he said, "drive more safely," we could assume that he means that the roads are more dangerous than we thought; not that GPS is at fault.

How are we seeing different things here?

guedita
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
That's both true and completely relevant. I spilled ice cream on myself and it was my fault, because someone warned me not to. The same thing has happened bodily to so many of my vagina owning peers.

algunz
04-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Ice cream on my vagina is readily welcome.

Please, rape me.

gaypalmsprings
04-29-2012, 11:21 PM
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/files/2012/03/Cat_lick.jpg

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Maybe someone should just create a "this male got hit by a car thread," and wait for posters to austerely agree that, had you driven safer, it more likely wouldn't have happened to you. And that by and large, males just should probably not even attempt to drive by themselves, because this will increase their chances of not getting hit by another car.

Not, of course: what are the broader systemic problems of the way people injured in car accidents happen? though?

That's both true and completely relevant. I spilled ice cream on myself and it was my fault, because someone warned me not to. The same thing has happened bodily to so many of my vagina owning peers.

I think I understand now. You say that we are saying this:

Had you been safer, you more likely wouldn't have been raped. And that by and large, women just should probably not even go to festivals by themselves, because this will increase their chances of not getting raped.

You raped yourself and it was your fault, because someone warned you not to.

And wishing somebody to "be safe" is never justified, and is always condescending, because we should be asking why those people can be unsafe in the first place. It is only justified to tell rapists to stop raping. If we tell women to "be safer," it is always in criticism of their behavior - it can only ever be in criticism of their behavior (and not, say, an observation of a change in environment - a place we thought was less dangerous).

Alchemy
04-29-2012, 11:28 PM
I wave the white flag and accept that my stance is that girls should stop getting themselves raped by making themselves so rapeable.

EDIT: Actually, no, nevermind! I thought of a better analogy than the car one, which is a bad analogy because it doesn't consider different groups.

New Example

After last year's anarchist bomb, politicians need to not just open their packages, and hire bodyguards. It's a sad state of the world, but even the best security can't prevent acts of violence like this.

Yesterday I walked past a lot senators between the parking lot and the Congress building that had no security and no one around to witness anything should it occur. Even in a busy area yesterday, given the amount of packages lying around, things may not appear unusual until it's too late.

I am so fucking sick of hearing the constituent centric position of preventing or avoiding anarchist assault as an onus put upon politicians to protect themselves and not to be without bodyguards. The "sad state" of the world you speak of is that there isn't enough effort in fostering a world in which ANARCHISTS DON'T BOMB POLITICIANS. Good fucking god.

No, that's not "what reality" is. Reality is not that constituents like yourselves and gaypalmsprings should be instructing or suggesting to politicians that they a) shouldn't open their packages (let's not even get into the fact that there's no mention that this politician in this instance even had opened any packages) in public and that they equally shouldn't be by themselves in public. It's a lazy cop out of addressing larger systemic problems and a cute way of placing bomb blame on politicians rather than on actual perpetrators.

Saying that politicians need to use a bodyguards is a bit offensive.

I agree with Guedita and Algunz. Limitations shouldn't be set on how politicians should act and what they can do. What are we back in fucking 1812? Oh sweetie don't open that box. Not wearing a bomb-suit and opening mail you're just asking for an explosion. Fuck that. The reality is these fucktwads and all others that bomb politicians should get their fucking dicks cut off.

I think this is flawed thinking GPS. No one is suggesting that politicians are the only victims of violence in the world. But anarchist bombs is a violent act done by a constituent to a politician because of their ideology.

Also, this talk that 'they should have hired a bodyguard' (RHSP & others) is ridiculous. The politician was at a dinner with 35,000 other people. It's not like he was walking down a deserted alley alone late at night.

"Politicians: protect yourselves" is still inherently more patronizing of a response to an anarchist assault than, "Constituents: stop killing politicians."

TomAz
04-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Shit's fucked up. That girl did nothing to deserve this. I hope those idiots get corncobbed in jail..a lot. People DO need to be more cautious of their surroundings. You really can't argue any of those points.

More bad thinking, and I can argue many of those points. what does "more cautious of their surroundings" mean at a music festival? Remember Jen you weren't there, you don't know the facts. Now tell us what she should have done differently.

Isn't Goldenvoice more culpable than the victim? They hosted a festival and provided security. Their security participated in the assault last year and failed to stop the one this year.

greghead
04-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Isn't Goldenvoice more culpable than the victim? They hosted a festival and provided security. Their security participated in the assault last year and failed to stop the one this year.

Thank you. Being at a large event that features security check upon entry, hired security staff, and a strong police presence lends a certain expectation of safety from those attending. We shouldn't have to look over our shoulders or take a buddy when we go piss when there are uniformed & undercover officers and hired security staff on hand specifically to prevent criminal acts of violence. Apparently we're wrong in that belief.

gaypalmsprings
04-30-2012, 07:17 AM
A female poster on the Stagecoach message board wrote, "That's sad, why didn't any of her friends go w/her to the bathroom. And why didn't an employee stop the men from coming in."

tigermilkboy
04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
I am curious as to what the media/local politicians would have said if this happened during Dre/Snoop or a rave? It seems country music events get a pass, whereas a rap/EDM event would be threatened with closure and/or swamped with police.

JustSteve
04-30-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm more offended that my daughter was told that she's not allowed to wear slacks at her high school graduation.

it's just a pair of pants, jen. relax!

TomAz
04-30-2012, 08:21 AM
I have never had a friend accompany me to the bathroom at coachella or anywhere else. Why do we hold women to this standard?

captncrzy
More bad thinking, and I can argue many of those points. what does "more cautious of their surroundings" mean at a music festival? Remember Jen you weren't there, you don't know the facts. Now tell us what she should have done differently.

I'm not saying she should have done anything differently...she's the victim. I'm saying I don't understand why everyone is freaking the fuck out over a statement that Bob made innocently and clearly without malice. Seriously molehilling a mountain here. IMO.

MoSetsfire
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19716818.jpg

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Chella = rave

Stagecoach = rape

So should my gf be going to the bathrooms alone ?

locachica73
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
This absolutely disgusts me. I hope they find the guys who did this and they spend their lives in jail getting ass raped as much as possible.

algunz
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm not saying she should have done anything differently...she's the victim. I'm saying I don't understand why everyone is freaking the fuck out over a statement that Bob made innocently and clearly without malice. Seriously molehilling a mountain here. IMO.

Nobody is really picking on GayPalm specifically (I think). It's more that we still have to hear it and that the molehill is a mountain. What went wrong was not a girl going to the bathroom by herself. It's a much bigger and really sad picture.

captncrzy
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't know. I guess we're seeing it different. *shrug*.

I'm off my meds. THat may be part of the problem. I also couldn't figure out if I had washed my hair this morning or not.

locachica73
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
I took my 19 yr old daughter to Coachella and never once did I worry about her being assaulted in the port o john or anywhere else for that matter, the people at Coachella do not worry me in that way whatsoever. If I were to take her to an event like Stagecoach, Nascar (both of which would never happen), or even the rock show I went to on Saturday I would always walk with her to the bathrooms. I have very little trust for the redneck world.

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Rapists should stop being redneck males

I want to be raped by a good looking 30 something woman. Or three

captncrzy
04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
...hey baby

TomAz
04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Nobody is really picking on GayPalm specifically (I think). It's more that we still have to hear it and that the molehill is a mountain. What went wrong was not a girl going to the bathroom by herself. It's a much bigger and really sad picture.

Right. I have no problem with GPS, I consider him a friend. I am just disagreeing with him (& Jen & Tim & others) on this. I don't think GPS is pro-rape or anti-women, I think he just fell into a trap of lazy thinking on this one issue. And I think it's an important issue, not a molehill.

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
...hey baby

Roofiez plz

ods..
04-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I am curious as to what the media/local politicians would have said if this happened during Dre/Snoop or a rave? It seems country music events get a pass, whereas a rap/EDM event would be threatened with closure and/or swamped with police.

Very true. We'll see what the fallout is with an event like this, but with 2 rapes in 2 years... I dunno, there should be some serious changes/consequences.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Thank you. Being at a large event that features security check upon entry, hired security staff, and a strong police presence lends a certain expectation of safety from those attending. We shouldn't have to look over our shoulders or take a buddy when we go piss when there are uniformed & undercover officers and hired security staff on hand specifically to prevent criminal acts of violence. Apparently we're wrong in that belief.

Right. I have no problem with GPS, I consider him a friend. I am just disagreeing with him (& Jen & Tim & others) on this. I don't think GPS is pro-rape or anti-women, I think he just fell into a trap of lazy thinking on this one issue. And I think it's an important issue, not a molehill.

GPS, Jen, me, and others agree with practically all of what you guys are saying. We think that Goldenvoice is more culpable than the victim. GPS even criticized the lack of security in his controversial post. I'm pretty sure we also all agree that it isn't a woman's fault if she gets sexually assaulted. None of us would say that a woman causes her own rape.

We disagree at only one point:

GPS's statement is a lazy criticism on women's behavior, in which he says that they must be more careful so as not to cause their own sexual assault.

or

GPS's statement suggests that men sexually assaulting women has become a danger at Stagecoach - something we didn't think was a danger until it happened - and so women should respond to this new risk by being more careful.

I personally think the latter is similar to: "It's been snowing so you should drive slower on the road." I wouldn't assume that the person is criticizing my driving. I'd assume that they want to convey that the streets have become more dangerous.

PlayaDelWes
04-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Maybe if they replicated the level of undercover Narc activity from Coachella, but instead with slutty, helpless, drunk-looking, alone, and vulnerable undercover cop-ladies roaming around just asking for it, they could bust a few of these rapist assholes

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Amazing^^

It's almost as if our authorities believe drugs are more of an issue than rape or assault.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
I think our authorities believe drugs are more of an issue than murder, even.

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Rape is badmkay

tigermilkboy
04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I want to be raped by a good looking 30 something woman. Or three

Drink more, dress scantily and go alone to portapotties, apparently that increases your chances to 'asking for it'.

Somewhat Damaged
04-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Very true. We'll see what the fallout is with an event like this, but with 2 rapes in 2 years... I dunno, there should be some serious changes/consequences.

Not sure what all the differences are between Stagecoach & Coachella, but one thing that they should consider changing is allowing people to drink outside of the beer gardens at the former. I'm also curious what the undercover cop presence is at Stagecoach compared to Coachella, or how many police are on-site period.

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 09:44 AM
No no no....I'm not fishing for redneck men....I want 30 something attractive women to rape me.

In groups of three....I'll even leave the Porto door unlocked. Easy access.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I personally think the latter is similar to: "It's been snowing so you should drive slower on the road." I wouldn't assume that the person is criticizing my driving. I'd assume that they want to convey that the streets have become more dangerous.

The problem with this reasoning is that it's always snowing. Every single day of the year, you need to drive slower on the road because it's snowing. If you were born with a vagina, that is. If you have a penis then not so much. Your analogy essentially says that the mere fact of existence creates a hazard for women and that they should behave accordingly. The position that I and a few others have taken is that that is backwards thinking; the fault lies in the hazard (and the tolerance of and sympathy for the hazard) and not the lack of caution. Women cannot be blamed for merely existing.

And to push your analogy further, if someone here had died driving home from Coachella because it was snowing, then GPS statement is like saying "well he should have driven slower". Fact is, GPS has no idea how fast the person was driving. None at all. So the comment is absolutely useless as advice and so serves only as a sort of implied criticism of the victim. When it comes to rape, that implied criticism -- whether GPS consciously intended it or not is irrelevant, because it is there regardless -- exposes what is, at its deepest core, a fundamentally sexist mindset that reflects the attitudes of the era that GPS and I were raised in.

EDIT: actually Tim I'm going to disagree with your analogy on other grounds as well. I've raised this point before, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears with some of you. The girl was at a music festival with security checkpoints etc. She was not walking alone in an alley at night somewhere. She was at a festival with 35,000 people. Are you telling me that that constitutes 'snowing' in your analogy? That sort of thinking just baffles me. The girl had a reasonable expectation of safety, which failed because of sloppy work from GV security. That does not mean she was uncautious. Not at all.

ENluv12
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Well said, guedita. Thank you!

ocbruin84
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
RAPECOACH

RAPECHELLA

JustSteve
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Amazing^^

It's almost as if our authorities believe drugs are more of an issue than rape or assault.

more money for them in drugs than rape, duh.

Miroir Noir
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Has there been any updated reporting on this? Like any determination if a sexual assault did in fact happen, whether any perp descriptions were disseminated, arrests made, etc?

captncrzy
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
RAPECOACH

RAPECHELLA

You're the worst.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Has there been any updated reporting on this? Like any determination if a sexual assault did in fact happen, whether any perp descriptions were disseminated, arrests made, etc?

Last I saw was the girl didn't have any descriptions (portapotties at night are a bit dark I guess?). She was treated onsite and then taken to a hospital so one would presume the hospital was able to make the determination that an assault occurred, since the police are still on the case.

amyzzz
04-30-2012, 10:46 AM
This gangrape is a scary, scary thing to have happened, and I think what immediately comes to mind is what can a woman do to prevent that from happening in the future? Sure, in some cases there really is no way to prevent a rape, but what can a woman try to do to be safe in a potentially hazardous environment like a redneck music festival? I think that is all that GPS was offering in his first statement.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Yes but amy in the context of "a girl just got raped" it comes across less as "what can a woman do" and more as "this girl should have done things differently".

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 10:53 AM
The problem with this reasoning is that it's always snowing. Every single day of the year, you need to drive slower on the road because it's snowing. If you were born with a vagina, that is. If you have a penis then not so much. Your analogy essentially says that the mere fact of existence creates a hazard for women and that they should behave accordingly. The position that I and a few others have taken is that that is backwards thinking; the fault lies in the hazard (and the tolerance of and sympathy for the hazard) and not the lack of caution. Women cannot be blamed for merely existing.

I think you've read my analogy incorrectly though. I did not want to portray that sexually assault exists and that women should behave accordingly. I wanted to portray that a place has become more dangerous, and that those that the dangers place in risk should react accordingly. That in no way says that the victims are at fault if they do not react accordingly, but it is merely a consideration to the change. And I understand that, in a way, it's "always snowing" to mean that the risk of sexually assault always exist. But if you take the road analogy, it isn't always snowing. You still have the risk of getting into an accident, even without snow, but you cannot argue against the fact a snowy road is more dangerous. My implication wasn't that "it's always snowing," but that it has only begun to snow. In other words, we did not account for Stagecoach to be as dangerous as it is.

And to push your analogy further, if someone here had died driving home from Coachella because it was snowing, then GPS statement is like saying "well he should have driven slower". Fact is, GPS has no idea how fast the person was driving. None at all. So the comment is absolutely useless as advice and so serves only as a sort of implied criticism of the victim. When it comes to rape, that implied criticism -- whether GPS consciously intended it or not is irrelevant, because it is there regardless -- exposes what is, at its deepest core, a fundamentally sexist mindset that reflects the attitudes of the era that GPS and I were raised in.

Except that GPS did not say, "well she should have used the buddy system." GPS never claimed that the victims practiced risky behavior. As I said above, and as I've said many times, his advice was a consideration to a change in danger, not a criticism of the victim (or of women). I don't think you can say that all advice or warnings, when it comes to rape, are implied criticisms. I think it's unreasonable that because somebody is male, or because they are from a time when many people were sexist, that it should be assumed that when they tell a woman to be more careful, they are criticizing the woman's behavior - it's not true for other things, and it's not true for rape. I think you are making an unfounded assumption and generalizing, and I would argue that we should give people the benefit of the doubt (even if they are from different times), before we accuse them of criticizing women.

EDIT: actually Tim I'm going to disagree with your analogy on other grounds as well. I've raised this point before, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears with some of you. The girl was at a music festival with security checkpoints etc. She was not walking alone in an alley at night somewhere. She was at a festival with 35,000 people. Are you telling me that that constitutes 'snowing' in your analogy? That sort of thinking just baffles me. The girl had a reasonable expectation of safety, which failed because of sloppy work from GV security. That does not mean she was uncautious. Not at all.

But this irrelevant to the argument. We are disagreeing on if GPS was criticizing women, or if he was conveying a change in danger. If we think that the information of two women being sexually assaulted can be translated into if its "snowing" or not is an entirely different argument. And again, implying a change in danger does not imply that the girl was not cautious. He implied that we did not assume GV security to be so sloppy, we should assume that they are inadequate and react to that new information (women being the most at risk in this scenario). Again, that doesn't imply that the women were sloppy or inadequate, it just means that they should react to this new information.

As for that second argument, do I think it constitutes as "snowing"? To be honest, I would have told anybody (guys and girls) I knew going to Stagecoach not to drink so much, because I would have assumed that there would be jerks there who might bother people. I would not have told women to use the buddy system before, because I would have assumed that the security would be equal to Coachella. I've always thought of Coachella as one of the safest environments. I mean, there are security all over the place... After these two incidents, I don't know if advising the buddy system is unnecessary advice. I don't think it's bad advice, at least. Realistically, I don't imagine Stagecoach to have become that more dangerous. It is more dangerous than I thought, because I wouldn't have imagined these incidents to occur, but I don't think it has become that much more dangerous. But some people respond to these things emotionally. If I had moved to New York right after 9/11, my mom would probably have worried that I was entering a battlezone. She would have been unrealistic, but if she told me, "You should be vigilant and stay off the higher floors," it wouldn't mean that she thought my behavior was reckless.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Again, context. I just went back and re-read GPS' post and I stand by my statements. He followed an article that said "a girl just got raped" with this sentence: "After last year's rape, women need to not drink too much & walk alone." Not after this year's rape, no; after last year's rape. If you don't see this as criticizing and blaming the victim, well I wish I lived in your cherry colored world.

And his phrasing is a bit hostile as well: "women need to...". That is not cautionary so much as demanding. Follow my rules, woman, or else be raped. This was probably just careless wording on GPS' part, but it sure struck me as really critical. He might as well have said "women need to not dress so provocatively".

heart cooks brain
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Amazing^^

it's definitely easier to prevent, from their perspective.

captncrzy
04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Last I saw was the girl didn't have any descriptions (portapotties at night are a bit dark I guess?). She was treated onsite and then taken to a hospital so one would presume the hospital was able to make the determination that an assault occurred, since the police are still on the case.

Yeah, I went into a porta pretty late on Saturday night when I was kind of tipsy. Very very dark inside. Actually, the entire area (it was the one by the lockers) was dark.

The next time I had to pee that night, I did it using a p-mate up against a fence. Becca guarded me.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
That's hot.

mountmccabe
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I think it's inherently patronizing only because there have been loud people, like politicians and lawyers, who say that women get raped because they did not protect themselves. But I don't think you can claim that everybody is being condescending for saying "Women: protect yourselves," unless everyone did take the lack of protection as the cause of sexual assault.

[...]

It's analogous to telling people, "Don't go into that dark alleyway without friends - especially if you are drunk," being a better suggestion than telling the people, "If you hang out in that alleyway, don't bother anybody," as if those people will be in your audience.

Of course, I don't think Stagecoach is a dark alleyway. Like I said, it's useless, but not sexist.

You know why I don't tell most of my friends "Don't go into that dark alleyway without friends"? Because that's not a new sentiment. I think folks are well-educated on the topic of dark alleyways.

My mother always tells me to "be careful driving at night," "it looks like it might rain, bring an umbrella" and various other things that I take because she's my mother and she still remembers the 12-year old kid who didn't think about what he was doing.

I think women and even teenager girls are well-educated on potential dangers. Saying "Women: protect yourselves" is condescending because it adds nothing, especially in response to a tragedy. You don't need too promote sexual assault awareness right after an assault happens.

And certainly not in a thread about sexual assault. Also fucking inappropriate for a thread about sexual assault is for anybody to be telling women what they "need" to do or not do.

It is not unreasonable to discuss precautions that people can take to protect themselves, but because of those "politicians and lawyers," and our male-dominated, women-controlling culture it's important to consider the context.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Well I take his following criticism on security to mean that it was their fault, not the girl's fault. If GPS was lazy at any point, I imagined it to be that he didn't say "After these rapes..." And that's because I don't imagine GPS saying, "Women cause their own rape." And when he brought up the analogy of the security guard telling him to "drive safely," I took that to mean that he didn't intend criticism against women's behavior. I feel like people are trying to twist him into some ignorant sexist.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Context, context, context, Tim. Read this sentence of John's over and over until the light bulb comes on:

Also fucking inappropriate for a thread about sexual assault is for anybody to be telling women what they "need" to do or not do.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
You know why I don't tell most of my friends "Don't go into that dark alleyway without friends"? Because that's not a new sentiment. I think folks are well-educated on the topic of dark alleyways.

My mother always tells me to "be careful driving at night," "it looks like it might rain, bring an umbrella" and various other things that I take because she's my mother and she still remembers the 12-year old kid who didn't think about what he was doing.

I think women and even teenager girls are well-educated on potential dangers. Saying "Women: protect yourselves" is condescending because it adds nothing, especially in response to a tragedy. You don't need too promote sexual assault awareness right after an assault happens.

And certainly not in a thread about sexual assault. Also fucking inappropriate for a thread about sexual assault is for anybody to be telling women what they "need" to do or not do.

It is not unreasonable to discuss precautions that people can take to protect themselves, but because of those "politicians and lawyers," and our male-dominated, women-controlling culture it's important to consider the context.

This is all very true, but I've been trying to say that it's not like "Don't go into that dark alleyway without friends," or "Be careful driving at night." It is actually like this: "You know that playground that you go sleep in? It turns out that some gang has taken over that place. You shouldn't fall asleep there anymore." In that context, it is maybe only slightly condescending because it assumes that the person did not know of the danger and did not react to it with more safety. But if your response is, "Fuck, mom! I'm sick of you acting like I don't know how to take care of myself! If some gang-banger stabs me, it's not my fault! It's their fault!" then I think you need to cool your jets.

ocbruin84
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
This thread is like the lecture/discussion we had on Thelma & Louise in my undergrad liberal arts "Criticism & The Public Arts" course.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Context, context, context, Tim. Read this sentence of John's over and over until the light bulb comes on:

Tom, it can always be condescending to tell anybody what they need to do, because you are always assuming that they did not know themselves. It doesn't matter if it is women or men. But you are not allowing the possibility that the person is simply reacting to information (over-reacting, perhaps), and do not intend to be condescending, but to be well-meaning. It causes no harm to tell people that they need to do something - especially in response to new information. (EDIT: Unless they do intend to be condescending. That is, of course, possible. And it happens plenty of times.)

algunz
04-30-2012, 11:22 AM
It would be their fault. You should be allowed to go to any park you damn well please.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 11:24 AM
It would be their fault. You should be allowed to go to any park you damn well please.

Yes, I'm not saying that you would be wrong; I'm saying that you shouldn't assume that your mom is accusing you of being reckless.

BROKENDOLL
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
That has got to be the stupidest fucking thing you have ever said, BD.
Oh, I'm sure stupider things have been said by me...

Ice cream on my vagina is readily welcome. Please, rape me.
But, not nearly as stupid as this.

Personally, I don't believe an actual rape occurred with 4 people in a porta-potty. In fact, even with consent, I can't see how it's possible for 4 adults to even fit in one of those damn things. I'm not denying that an assault occurred of some sort, but I'm certainly not gonna fall into that glorified media trap without more detailed information.

CrimesceneCookie
04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
you could fit more than 3 in one of the handicap porta-potties, maybe it was one of those.

algunz
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Wow.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Some of you people are so defensive you are twisting your logic into absurd knots.

Alchemy
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
I need to go and take a test. I did not want to defend GPS for this long. I merely wanted to say, "I believe that the victims hold none of the blame. I think GPS believes that the victims hold none of the blame, too. I just think people are reacting to his comment by adding more condescension to it than can inherently exist in all advice (to women or otherwise). Let's give GPS the benefit of the doubt, before we say that he is what is wrong with society - before we say that it is people like him as to why society blames the victims and not the criminals."

TomAz
04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Tom, it can always be condescending to tell anybody what they need to do, because you are always assuming that they did not know themselves. It doesn't matter if it is women or men. But you are not allowing the possibility that the person is simply reacting to information (over-reacting, perhaps), and do not intend to be condescending, but to be well-meaning. It causes no harm to tell people that they need to do something - especially in response to new information. (EDIT: Unless they do intend to be condescending. That is, of course, possible. And it happens plenty of times.)

Condescension has nothing to do with it.

frizzlefry
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I think these analogies of trying to protect yourself by not "walking down a dark alley" or "driving carefully when it snows" really don't compare to either case of assault, these analogies imply that the victims weren't aware of very obvious truths. The obvious truths being "Don't trust paid security because they might rape you" or "If you're a female you shouldn't be alone ever at a festival of 35,000 people that has a small city of security watching it". To me it implies that these victims were as careless as people who go skipping through a dark alley or someone who drives in the snow without chains.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Personally, I don't believe an actual rape occurred with 4 people in a porta-potty. In fact, even with consent, I can't see how it's possible for 4 adults to even fit in one of those damn things. I'm not denying that an assault occurred of some sort, but I'm certainly not gonna fall into that glorified media trap without more detailed information.

I'm giving up; the density of dark matter in this thread is so great that it just sucks in and absorbs any light that gets shined in it.

algunz
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Let's give GPS the benefit of the doubt, before we say that he is what is wrong with society - before we say that it is people like him as to why society blames the victims and not the criminals."

I know GPS meant no malice, but the fact that it was said and it was the first serious comment posted in this thread is EXACTLY what is wrong with society.

And please don't even get me started on the inanity of BD's logistics of a sexual assault comments.

PlayaDelWes
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I need to go and take a test. I did not want to defend GPS for this long. I merely wanted to say, "I believe that the victims hold none of the blame. I think GPS believes that the victims hold none of the blame, too. I just think people are reacting to his comment by adding more condescension to it than can inherently exist in all advice (to women or otherwise). Let's give GPS the benefit of the doubt, before we say that he is what is wrong with society - before we say that it is people like him as to why society blames the victims and not the criminals."

I've only been following the last couple of pages of this and I was totally with you until I went back and read what GPS said. I thought Tom & company were 'messageboarding' trying to make a debate out of rape. After I actually went back and looked, the truth is that GPS said something totally different than what you are attempting to defend. Showing empathy along the lines of 'be careful' isn't automatically condescending. But when you are as specific as “After last year's rape, women need to not drink too much & walk alone….” It’s in no way empathetic and is just downright silly to defend.

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
more money for them in drugs than rape, duh.

thats why we need to make drugs free and give them to everyone....right?

Some of you people are so defensive you are twisting your logic into absurd knots.

we call this pretzel logic

I think these analogies of trying to protect yourself by not "walking down a dark alley" or "driving carefully when it snows" really don't compare to either case of assault, these analogies imply that the victims weren't aware of very obvious truths. The obvious truths being "Don't trust paid security because they might rape you" or "If you're a female you shouldn't be alone ever at a festival of 35,000 people that has a small city of security watching it". To me it implies that these victims were as careless as people who go skipping through a dark alley or someone who drives in the snow without chains.

taking a piss in a dim lit area = i want to be beaten with snow chains and raped with a snow cone by security guards wearing cowboy hats and assless chaps

TheRotten42
04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Stagecoach still start sending out tickets with a box of goodies including this new Stagecoach must have souviner

ocbruin84
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
So not to derail but can anyone clarify the comment made earlier that Stagecoach was only created to bring in more $$ so GV wouldn't lose the polo fields? Is there an article anywhere about this?

Taylor
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm a bit pissed off by some of your generalizations of rednecks and country music fans as ignorant, dumb rapists. I'm from southern Utah many of my family members go deer hunting every year, drive big trucks, have blue collar jobs, listen to country music and are and self-proclaimed and proud rednecks. Most of the men on here could only hope to be half the men they are. They would do anything for anybody in their lives that needed help. It's disgusting that in the liberal-California universe it's not OK to stereotype Latinos, blacks, gays or any other minority but there's a free pass to stereotype rednecks/blue collar people into the "ignorant, dumb rapist" category. If similar statements were made about a predominately black festival they would not be tolerated. Total double-standard.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Are your dad and your grandpa the same person?

guedita
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Well said, Taylor. Drawing the conclusion that the men who did this did so because they are rednecks or because they listen to a certain kind of music isn't appropriate and it also engages in a different type of blame-shifting.

algunz
04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
The "men" who attacked this girl are loser, stereotypical, stupid, motherfucking rednecks. I don't think that is a generalization at all.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Taylor, do you have some examples in which reported rapes occurred two years in a row at a predominately black festival?

JustSteve
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm a bit pissed off by some of your generalizations of rednecks and country music fans as ignorant, dumb rapists. I'm from southern Utah many of my family members go deer hunting every year, drive big trucks, have blue collar jobs, listen to country music and are and self-proclaimed and proud rednecks. Most of the men on here could only hope to be half the men they are. They would do anything for anybody in their lives that needed help. It's disgusting that in the liberal-California universe it's not OK to stereotype Latinos, blacks, gays or any other minority but there's a free pass to stereotype rednecks/blue collar people into the "ignorant, dumb rapist" category. If similar statements were made about a predominately black festival they would not be tolerated. Total double-standard.

many of the "cowboys" at the fest are really just bro's in a cowboy hat from orange county, i.e., and l.a.

the cowbro's.

guedita
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I can't believe I'd never thought of the term "Cowbros." Love it.

faxman75
04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Does Freaknik count as a festival? If so, I think they might have had even more than two unless that was media over exaggeration.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
They exaggerated too much? What is the right amount of exaggeration?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
"THIS PAST WEEKEND THERE WERE LITERALLY MORE THAN TWO RAPES"

faxman75
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Good call, Tom.

Miroir Noir
04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I blame Fred Durst.

fatbastard
04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
GayPalm

Taylor
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Are your dad and your grandpa the same person?
Ironic statement coming from an Arizona resident. Home of Warren Jeffs and one of one of the largest polygamist communities in the country. Any more questions, biggot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

TomAz
04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
You have your facts wrong, yokel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildale,_Utah

Utah or Arizona either way, they're just stupid inbred mormon trash, just like you.

amyzzz
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I do not understand Taylor's argument here. You call yourself a redneck, all the while knowing that redneck is a negative term used to describe ignorant, racist, blue collar, white folk. Stop calling yourself a redneck if you are not those qualities.

Taylor
04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
You have your facts wrong, yokel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildale,_Utah

Utah or Arizona either way, they're just stupid inbred mormon trash, just like you.

"Hildale is a twin city to the more well-known Colorado City, Arizona, both of which straddle the border between Utah and Arizona."

Taylor
04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Either way. You started the geography based name-calling. I'm just pointing out that the people you were referring to are predominantly located in your state, none mine.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
and the next two sentences:

"Hildale is the headquarters of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Many adults in the community practice plural marriage."

Taylor, a you a pasty white inbred mormon mentally deficient cow fucker?

locachica73
04-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Not all cowboys are rednecks and not all rednecks are cowboys. I grew up in Oregon, home of the tree huggin hippy, but there were still plenty of rednecks there, my mother married into a family full of them.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
We all need to be more sensitive to the cause of the long-oppressed white man.

captncrzy
04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
This is way more fun than attacking Bob.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
I WASN'T ATTACKING BOB I WAS JUST DISAGREEING WITH HIS VIEWPOINT DAMMIT.

but yeah this Taylor guy is like fish in a barrel.

algunz
04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Bob shouldn't have been posting alone.

Miroir Noir
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
I lol'd, Gunz!

amyzzz
Bob shouldn't have been posting alone.ha...ha

captncrzy
I hope Taylor's not a girl.

Although, it would totally be her fault if she is.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I wonder if you can tell by looking?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
oh, for a second i thought Jen was talking about OriginalBob haha

algunz
04-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I'd attack those boobs.

Neighborhood Creep
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Snuggle Struggle

JustSteve
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
let's get all 1938 up in here, timer for a resurgence?

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/10/tips-for-single-women-1938/

this is gold. shut up ladies, when a man wants to dance, he wants to dance!
http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/4139.jpg

algunz
04-30-2012, 02:29 PM
My mouth is shut when I'm dancing, except when I'm breathing heavy.

guedita
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
"Please and flatter your date by talking about the things he wants to talk about."

Mugwog
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
let's get all 1938 up in here, timer for a resurgence?

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/10/tips-for-single-women-1938/

this is gold. shut up ladies, when a man wants to dance, he wants to dance!
http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/4139.jpg
That man looks offended at her idea to do the jitter bug

TomAz
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
"don't tug at your girdle"

TomAz
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/261-520x650.jpg

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
iEInZnbXHCE

ocbruin84
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I do not understand Taylor's argument here. You call yourself a redneck, all the while knowing that redneck is a negative term used to describe ignorant, racist, blue collar, white folk. Stop calling yourself a redneck if you are not those qualities.

I think "redneck" is one of those terms where people who feel they are one and feel they are "ostracized" because of it, band together and embrace it even more. One of those scenarios where "hardship" "brings people together" or some shit. Like it's a badge of honor.

I'm sure there are some analogous examples in other communities not so foreign to most people here.

algunz
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I embrace cunt.

JustSteve
04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
i'll bet you do. hard.

faxman75
04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Prove it with pics please.

algunz
04-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I've learned the hard way never to document my sexual exploits.

JustSteve
04-30-2012, 03:53 PM
<----goes to google...

TomAz
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Well this thread has come around full circle.

algunz
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I asked for it.

Mugwog
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
So uh.. vid or pics or uh.. it didnt happen?

hippityhip
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
It's disgusting that in the liberal-California universe it's not OK to stereotype Latinos, blacks, gays or any other minority but there's a free pass to stereotype rednecks/blue collar people into the "ignorant, dumb rapist" category. If similar statements were made about a predominately black festival they would not be tolerated. Total double-standard.

I take offense to you generalizing californians as liberals with double standards.

hippityhip
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
I've learned the hard way never to document my sexual exploits.

If I only had a nickel for every video that is floating around with me in it.... I'd have 30 cents.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
GOSH YOU MADE 6 PORNOS? GOSH

PotVsKtl
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/post_now/Images/APTOPIX_Congress_Hoodie_0b36d.jpg

hippityhip
04-30-2012, 04:55 PM
GOSH YOU MADE 6 PORNOS? GOSH

If you consider me making love to a bag of Funions porno then yes, guilty on all six charges.

MURDER WAS THE CASE THAT THEY GAVE ME

gaypalmsprings
04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
At least the authorities didn't cover this up, because.....

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x179/cyborcat/SilenceIsViolenceforJakki.gif