PDA

View Full Version : Tupac Hologram = Way overhyped?

jhouze
04-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Maybe I am just being a party pooper but considering the Tupac hologram is closely linked with Dre and everything Dre does is a huge money whoring exercise, I just am not that impressed. Sure its a cool novelty but besides the initial $ it cost to program, now Dre just has a free tool to tour around with and make $ off of. Ive seen a few youtube videos labeled "Dre speaks out about Tupac touring" etc... and I havent been bothered to watch them. Sorry if I am misinformed, but as of now this whole hologram business seems incredibly overhyped.

On a side note, apparently there were supposed to be a lot more hologram performances during Snoop and Dre's performance but they were having a lot of technical difficulties weekend 1. Weird that they didn't have those kinks worked out by weekend 2.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-25-2012, 05:41 AM
This isn't as well-thought-out of a post as you believe it to be.

Neighborhood Creep
04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Ive seen a few youtube videos labeled "Dre speaks out about Tupac touring" etc... and I havent been bothered to watch them. Sorry if I am misinformed, but as of now this whole hologram business seems incredibly overhyped.

You seen these videos about Dre talking about that but haven't watched them? Then how do you know. Yes, you are misinformed. Please share link of videos.

On a side note, apparently there were supposed to be a lot more hologram performances during Snoop and Dre's performance but they were having a lot of technical difficulties weekend 1.

Who else's holograms were they supposed to use? Please share a link with us of where you get your info.

heart cooks brain
04-25-2012, 07:31 AM
there was a biggie hologram, but puffy had it shot.

romanticizer
04-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Jesus Christ, people. Really? Can anyone just be stoked that something unprecedented happened; just for a moment we got to be in the presence of Tupac - hologram or not? That in CA we got to revel in the essence in one of the most key figures in CA rap? "But this technology is from the 1800s, that's not new in different!" Does that take away from the validity? No. I was there - it was amazing. Period.

shoegazer76
04-25-2012, 09:37 AM
When are people going to stop calling this a hologram!
IT WASN'T A FUCKING HOLOGRAM PEOPLE! IT WAS A VIDEO PROJECTION!!!!!!!!!

stellarpoet22
04-25-2012, 09:39 AM
FUCK THIS THREAD!!!!!!!
FUCK JHOUZE, KEEP LURKING, NEWBIE

romanticizer
04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
When are people going to stop calling this a hologram!
IT WASN'T A FUCKING HOLOGRAM PEOPLE! IT WAS A VIDEO PROJECTION!!!!!!!!!

Did you help construct it? No? Didn't think so. Everyone has an opinion on what it "actually was".
Thing is, if it was just a video projection or any other primitive technology it wouldn't have costed more than $150,000 and does it make the life like aspect of it any less cool? Nope.

faxman75
04-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm guessing it wasn't "hyped" at all considering it was a surprise. I too am sorry you are misinformed.

menikmati
04-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Did you help construct it? No? Didn't think so. Everyone has an opinion on what it "actually was".
Thing is, if it was just a video projection or any other primitive technology it wouldn't have costed more than $150,000 and does it make the life like aspect of it any less cool? Nope.
You are retarded.

anti-square
04-25-2012, 10:12 AM

It's not an opinion.

shoegazer76
04-25-2012, 10:14 AM

So because of the production cost you conclude that it couldn't have been anything but a hologram. Yo are incredibly ignorant. You have no idea about production costs in the music and movie industry & yes I do having worked in it for 5 years. Yes it was entertaining and awesome. A technological breakthrough that debuted at Coachella? Sorry to disappoint you but NO. From a cost standpoint it was actually done for a very fair price. Polish a turd and wear it on your finger as a diamond if it makes you feel any better.

PointBlank
04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Calling that performance a video projection is like calling a truffle a mushroom.

Vic Viper
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
typical term is a Pepper's ghost.

DFrank
04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm guessing it wasn't "hyped" at all considering it was a surprise. I too am sorry you are misinformed.

Mostly this. Unless you were on the boards or had friends on facebook putting it up, it was a surprise. And even so, we only heard of the rumor within a week of the performance. Dre's YT clip saying it was "strictly for Coachella".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjkaMJVwus

jhouze
04-26-2012, 02:30 AM
If it ends up being strictly for Coachella than I think that's pretty cool, however I had friends post about it a decent amount on FB leading up to festival and I could of sworn I watched a video of it before Coachella at well (from a smaller venue) but I can't find the video at all on Youtube now :( Regardless, it definitely wasn't a "surprise" and I am referring to all the hype it is receiving afterwords.

Also:

http://www.nme.com/news/2pac/63453

romanticizer
04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Actually, what I was saying that the company that contructed it has said numerous times that there was more into it than projection of found images (which was implied) and how it was really constructed without a blueprint from the actual company is just a speculation.

Additionally, the main point is, whether it was a projection, a hologram, 5 dwarves on each others shoulders in a skin suit or a shadow puppet I don't think it takes away from the validity of how cool it was.

heart cooks brain
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
was it hyped at all? i'm confused as to how it could have been over-hyped.

Neighborhood Creep
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
OP was expecting Tupac to break dance

shoegazer76
04-26-2012, 09:47 AM
It was a video projection dumbfucks. Get over it. Call it whatever you want. You're the same people that believe a goat with a glued horn on its head is truly a unicorn & that a petrified monkey with a fish tail fin sewn to its ass are legitimate mermaids.

Nealocus
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
I thought it was amazing (wkd 1) and I don't give a shit what people say. The reaction from the crowd was unbelievable. The party factor went from 100 to 0 as people were literally slightly spooked / confused. I was in the frontish and high off a few drugs so maybe it's an isolated incident. Although it seemed like everyone around me was just as speechless.

Hawkings
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
most people i spoke to at work and where i live didn't know much about the festival or all the guests during that set (50, Eminem, Wiz) but all heard about the hologram

Michelle760
04-28-2012, 01:41 AM
I thought it was amazing (wkd 1) and I don't give a shit what people say. The reaction from the crowd was unbelievable. The party factor went from 100 to 0 as people were literally slightly spooked / confused. I was in the frontish and high off a few drugs so maybe it's an isolated incident. Although it seemed like everyone around me was just as speechless.

Agreed. But weekend 2 was the shit. Everyone was losing their minds!!

guedita
04-28-2012, 01:45 AM
The lulz in this thread. I can't even.

Bonovan
04-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Paranormal Tupactivity

http://i48.tinypic.com/bsxu.jpg

guedita
04-28-2012, 07:42 AM

THE LULZ

heart cooks brain
04-28-2012, 08:06 AM

This was my exact experience as well

Mugwog
04-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Primitive technology

shotglass75
04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
however I had friends post about it a decent amount on FB leading up to festival and I could of sworn I watched a video of it before Coachella at well (from a smaller venue) but I can't find the video at all on Youtube now :(

No you didn't. You are lying or just plain stupid. I choose both.

sonofhal
04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
The Tupac hologram sold out after his first beta test.

heart cooks brain
04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
No you didn't. You are lying or just plain stupid. I choose both.

Yeah, stupid liar.

shotglass75
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
We told him

BROKENDOLL
04-28-2012, 10:22 AM
OP was expecting Tupac to break dance

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/HOME%20SWEET%20HOME/FAMILY%20and%20FRIENDS/tupac-coachella-hologram.gif

Phantasma Del Mar
04-28-2012, 10:31 AM
If it ends up being strictly for Coachella than I think that's pretty cool, however I had friends post about it a decent amount on FB leading up to festival and I could of sworn I watched a video of it before Coachella at well (from a smaller venue) but I can't find the video at all on Youtube now :( Regardless, it definitely wasn't a "surprise" and I am referring to all the hype it is receiving afterwords.

There was definitely not a video of it before hand and the rumors about it were talked with tongue firmly in cheek.

Hyped beyond all belief afterwards? Yes. They had a dead performer preform two songs using completely new visuals and it wasn't totally cheesy, of course people are going to talk about it.

Phantasma Del Mar
04-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Okay Tupac bursting into ashes at the end was totally tacky but that's not the point.

heart cooks brain
04-28-2012, 10:45 AM
the point is

i ain't a killa but don't push me

fibes
04-28-2012, 11:55 AM
my friends on Facebook said they tried to make a hologram of biggie but couldn't produce enough electrons

Mugwog
04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Okay Tupac bursting into ashes at the end was totally tacky but that's not the point.
NEED GIF OF THIS

jgafs
05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Freddie and Bobby D together at last!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18025766

malcolmjama1awesome
05-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I personally thought the hologram was top notch. In fact I began raving my dick off as soon as it appeared.

elChurro
05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
The supposed "hologram" was ok, if you're into lip synching and shit, but the warren g. (or whoever the fuck that was) slide show? WTH? $320 bucks to hear some track set to photos on a giant stage? ...BS.

Alchemy
05-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Jesus Christ, people. Really? Can anyone just be stoked that something unprecedented happened; just for a moment we got to be in the presence of Tupac - hologram or not? That in CA we got to revel in the essence in one of the most key figures in CA rap? "But this technology is from the 1800s, that's not new in different!" Does that take away from the validity? No. I was there - it was amazing. Period.

You're amazing.

DJ Sin
05-23-2012, 06:53 PM