PDA

View Full Version : VIP wristbands: Worth it?

ELIZA83TH
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I am considering getting VIP passes for my fiance & myself next year… Was wondering if anyone can share an experience from recent years to give me the REAL pros & cons of the VIP experience… Is it seriously worth it? Thanks, guys!

Bonovan
04-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I did two years with and two years without. For me it is worth it IF you can afford it. It is a luxury, not a necessity for enjoying Coachella.

Here is my experience:

CONs:
- $$
- If you are with friend who does not have a VIP pass, he/she cannot get in

PROs:
- Easy in-out venue access for parking & shuttles
- Lots of shade, grass, seating, tables, fountains, gardens & trees
- Clean, well-stocked bathrooms
- Air conditioned tents with full bars, soft seating, and closed circuit coverage of many of the sets
- Adjacency to the Main Stage and The Sahara for live set viewing

nathanfairchild
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
also if you don't care about the music, there's a bunch of people around you that won't either.

Bonovan
04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Forgot to add that you can leave VIP at any time to be in the middle of the music you care about. I only went there before the sets started for the day, and between sets I was interested in.

ELIZA83TH
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
if i plan on camping, is it still worth it to go have a place to hang out? I mean, we get there pretty early each year & have a close spot in relation to the entrance of the festival, but it gets pretty hot & uncomfortable without a lot of shade and/or AC….

calforvi
04-30-2012, 08:25 AM
There is NO question that a VIP pass is worth every cent the extra money. First of all the weather was well over 100 each day, so the fact that we had shaded tents with couches to cool down in, air conditioned bathrooms, huge bar - no line, grass where you don't get stepped on, amazing food selections, plus easy entrance and exit instead of the huge lines at GA, was AWESOME. i wouldn't do it any other way, in fact, i just bought my VIP passes to Lolla.

Goatchella
04-30-2012, 08:42 AM
VIP = safe and sober

The rest is a filthy drug binder.

Whatever floats your boat.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
There is NO question that a VIP pass is worth every cent the extra money. First of all the weather was well over 100 each day, so the fact that we had shaded tents with couches to cool down in, air conditioned bathrooms, huge bar - no line, grass where you don't get stepped on, amazing food selections, plus easy entrance and exit instead of the huge lines at GA, was AWESOME. i wouldn't do it any other way, in fact, i just bought my VIP passes to Lolla.

what are you talking about. It barely made it above 80 all weekend.

ha ha

you must not have gone into VIP at night though.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
I have a hard time believing any of those benefits are worth $300.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I guess it depends on how much $300 means to you.

amyzzz
04-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Would you buy a VIP pass, Tom?

rdarke
04-30-2012, 01:09 PM
I went VIP a couple years ago and it wasn't worth it for me.

Went GA this year and had a LOT more fun with the extra $$$.

Mugwog
04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
VIP is only worth it if you were comped for it.

dekelou
04-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Keep in mind that at Lolla you get separate, elevated seating for watching the stages, golf cart transportation along Lakeshore, and, most importantly, UNLIMITED BOOZE.

TomAz
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Would you buy a VIP pass, Tom?

I still haven't quite figured this out. The easy parking and getting in sure were nice. The VIP lounges in the afternoon were very nice (and probably would have been even more appreciated had it been hot). Is that worth the extra $? gametime decision.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
If they were $100 maybe, but doubling your entire ticket price just seems obnoxious. They do sell out of them, so that's never gonna change. it would just be so nice if they had more actual perks.

Mugwog
04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Free cheeze whales from 99 cent only store "bar"

What do you mean there are a lack of perks?!

keeshonjohnson
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I had vip for 2011 and ga for 2012. Imo, if you are there for the music, vip is NOT worth it. If you are there to relax in the shade and drink, go for it. In 2011 I was hardly ever in the vip area, other than Sunday in the rose garden for super yummy drinks. My sister spent most of her time in the vip area and enjoyed it (she liked the shade). This year I went without her and as it was weekend 1, I didn't need the shade! I won't waste my money on vip again (unless they add some fantastic perks), I had so much extra for food and merchandise this year! Now Safari Tents, hmmmmmm, maybe someday.....

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Fun Fun Fun fest does it right with their VIP, which costs less than the Coachella one does.
http://funfunfunfest.com/news/43842

dekelou
04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Fun Fun Fun fest does it right with their VIP, which costs less than the Coachella one does.
http://funfunfunfest.com/news/43842

Having done this before, yes, the PIP is worth it. But it still ain't Coachella, even though they had Public Enemy. And Lykke Li.

sl4shd0t
05-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Vip wristband + VIP parking was more than worth it for my group. We had a group of friends who had regular parking and took them like 2 hours to park and get in every day. Us? 10 mins, the long part was just the few minute walk from the parking to the entrance.

Never a line for booze or bathroom in either section. Overpriced food in the sahara vip tho, that was a mistake. Was a great meeting point for our group either by the couches/phone charging station in the main VIP or just the lawn by the fence during the big mainstage acts. We found one of our friends easily who was watching Snoop ahead of us since we stayed at Florence and the machine till it ended.

Always, gonna buy VIP.

Saw that line for booze in the regular beer garden. OMG couldn't deal with that. After we drank our smuggled in booze was always way easy to get more liquor and beer. Huge plus for us lushes.

Mugwog
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
If you're paying for alcohol, namely beer, at Coachella: You're doing it wrong.

rivetbutt
05-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Sad, but true.

malcolmjama1awesome
05-20-2012, 04:50 PM

WOAH EVERYONE STAND BACK WE HAVE A BAD ASS OVER HERE

SO FUCKING COOL YOU GUYS

lagirlwithstyle
12-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I had VIP bands a few years and here's my personal experience:

1- more portapotties than the rest of the field and no lines whatsoever, dare I say even not stink filled by day 2
2- full bar. I had a friend pretty much puke and rally during Tiesto due to the full bar
3- more space to just chill
4- interesting celebrity watching- could John Mayer be any creepier?Ew.

Mostly, I thought that other than the portapotties which seemed mostly unused, it wasn't worth the money. But whatever's important to you, do it.

Zafocaine
12-28-2012, 08:21 PM
VIP for phone chargers inside the venue, and for beer after 10 pm. I'm still not sure what's going on with the GA beer gardens. In 2011 they closed all of them at 10 am, nearly starting drunken riots all weekend. Last year I got told no at one beer garden after ten, then proceeded to walk into another beer garden on the other side of the field five or ten minutes later. If you're not worried about a dead phone inside the venue, or having a beer or two before the headliner comes on, then there's no reason for a VIP. The fenced off VIP areas near the main stage and the Mojave (or was it Gobi?) have been something of a mean joke directed toward GA. Nearly empty areas where potential fans could be standing. Has anyone seen more then ten or twenty people in the VIP areas next to the stages?

neckface
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
i had vip 2011 and 2012 w1, in my experience , the only good use for them is the full bar and access to some really nice bathrooms

weezy f baby
01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Full bar, bathrooms, and $300 isn't a lot of money to some people (it keeps the undesirables out)

Azzah1977
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
I got VIP because I need the shade, I can get heat stroke pretty easily. Also the bathrooms. But I think to each their own. To me it's worth it. I think as I'm getting older, I enjoy the comfortability of VIP whereas if I was in my 20's I would have totally done GA.

difford tilbrook
01-29-2013, 01:17 PM
just purchased VIP tix for this years fest...weekend 2

Been to ..chella 6 times, figured it was time to splurge...not getting any younger

Anything more to add? whats another $800 bucks anyway (for the pair) ;)

TomAz
01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
I think as I'm getting older, I enjoy the comfortability of VIP

I would totally agree with this if only you'd not used the word 'comfortability'. I think 'comfort' would have worked just fine there.

nikkii_g
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
i splurged & bought myself VIP ~ maybe if i was in my 20s & with a group of friends i would do GA ~ but this may be my only time going & i'll be alone so i figure it's worth it for the comfort factor alone ~

Ravingmad
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
In my opinion, not worth it at all unless you REALLY care about not using the porta-potties.

Used to be a "maybe if you have cash to burn" back when VIP had the only full bar, but now that there's at least one outside the VIP I wouldn't pay for it.

Lynn163
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
I still haven't quite figured this out. The easy parking and getting in sure were nice. The VIP lounges in the afternoon were very nice (and probably would have been even more appreciated had it been hot). Is that worth the extra $? gametime decision.

This is one of the reasons we did VIP this year. I just couldn't catch a break last year ending up in the 2/3 hour lines getting through security (that was getting there early/later on different days) and I had to really work not to let it effect my weekend.

Aikopua3
01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
I went for VIP this year, could be my last time at the Polo Fields so I thought I would treat myself.

TomAz
01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
This is one of the reasons we did VIP this year. I just couldn't catch a break last year ending up in the 2/3 hour lines getting through security (that was getting there early/later on different days) and I had to really work not to let it effect my weekend.

I wound up buying VIP this year as well. fuck lines.

Heataaaa
03-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Except rack lines.. Amirite?

Zafocaine
03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
In my opinion, not worth it at all unless you REALLY care about not using the porta-potties.

Used to be a "maybe if you have cash to burn" back when VIP had the only full bar, but now that there's at least one outside the VIP I wouldn't pay for it.

Grabbing a beer after 10:30pm is a great perk. Closing the beer garden before the festival ends is asking for riots. If only this were 1992 again, when anger mattered...

funkmastahosh
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
I don't think denying people beer - or anything aside from water after any time of day is proper grounds for a riot. Using cliches like 'when anger mattered' doesn't seem like an apt way to describe your dissapointment (or maybe not if you go VIP) in not being able to get a beer after 1030. You know, things like dictatorships, oppression of civil rights, no access to clean drinking water or food, that might be asking for a riot, regardless of ANGER MATTERING BRO!

iamthehorn
03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't think denying people beer - or anything aside from water after any time of day is proper grounds for a riot. Using cliches like 'when anger mattered' doesn't seem like an apt way to describe your dissapointment (or maybe not if you go VIP) in not being able to get a beer after 1030. You know, things like dictatorships, oppression of civil rights, no access to clean drinking water or food, that might be asking for a riot, regardless of ANGER MATTERING BRO!

Whatever bro, even Hitler was pro-beer.

Zafocaine
03-29-2013, 10:06 AM

I even went on to mention 1992, which seems to have gone way over your head. A black man on PCP resisting arrest was beaten by the LAPD. This happens ALL THE FUCKING TIME, yet people decided to riot and loot.

Maybe you don't mind drinking all day just to have someone stop you from finishing your night off proper. Maybe you just don't drink. Some of us do, and we don't need some 18 year old kid acting as security to tell us that the beer garden closes at any time.

A. The proposed rioters are already intoxicated.
B. The proposed rioters are being denied the treatment to their sickness (alcoholism is a disease. One which they support from 11AM until 10:30PM. To cut the medication off is begging for non-race riots)
C. There are way more of us than there are of them.

You do understand how rioting works... right? I'm not saying it should happen at all. I am saying LEAVE THE MOTHER FUCKING BEER GARDENS UP UNTIL CLOSING. Install a checkpoint at each exit in the parking lots catching drunk drivers. End of discussion.

gam3g3ni3
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
VIP areas can use credit cards at some of the food vendors and at the bars.

That's a great perk.

funkmastahosh
03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I think the sociocultural impact of Rodney King definitely transcended just a black man on PCP being beaten by the cops (which isn't that common of an occurrence) but, if that's how you would like to compartmentalize a crucial event in recent history, I'm not going to try and change your mind since per reading this thread it seems like you just like the attention. I am sorry, though as I thought I misunderstood thinking you were like hoping for a riot or at least implying the folks in charge deserved a riot on their hands. I guess I could understand like a 'oh man, no more beer' or a 'thank god I brought this flask of tequila' as an appropriate response for a grown adult. I personally think governments responsible for racial prejudice and hiring an incredibly racist staff to operate a function like LAPD are asking for some type of civil unrest to be insighted. Way to cap it off with another wonderful cliche END OF DISCUSSION BRO!

funkmastahosh
03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Whatever bro, even Hitler was pro-beer.

Yep he was also world war 2 runner up. Quite the accomplishment.

artisticcreator
03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
I had VIP twice. Paid once and free the other. Neither were really worth it. 15 minutes on a coach was wasted time I should have been at a show. Drinks weren't that much better, especially for the price and the food was just food. Save your money for t-shirts, posters and drugs. It's a better use of your money.

TomAz
03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Who the fuck are you to tell me how to use my money? Go fuck yourself.

Lzahorak1
03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Do what my buddy and I did last year...collect 1000 cans, then trade them in Thursday before the festival starts. We got VIP upgrades through the recycling program and had a blast...especially since security screwed up and let us into the Artist/Guest area in the Sahara tent early Friday. Saw Breakbot, LA Riots, & R3hab in the very front row with 4 people around us. Amazing experience.

Otherwise, much of what everyone else has said...clean bathrooms, food, full bars...and viewing from the Sahara tent is pretty legit in the rose gardens. It's amazing the difference in atmosphere and the calmness of VIP in comparison to the party going on in GA.

Zafocaine
03-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I think the sociocultural impact of Rodney King definitely transcended just a black man on PCP being beaten by the cops (which isn't that common of an occurrence) but, if that's how you would like to compartmentalize a crucial event in recent history, I'm not going to try and change your mind since per reading this thread it seems like you just like the attention. I am sorry, though as I thought I misunderstood thinking you were like hoping for a riot or at least implying the folks in charge deserved a riot on their hands. I guess I could understand like a 'oh man, no more beer' or a 'thank god I brought this flask of tequila' as an appropriate response for a grown adult. I personally think governments responsible for racial prejudice and hiring an incredibly racist staff to operate a function like LAPD are asking for some type of civil unrest to be insighted. Way to cap it off with another wonderful cliche END OF DISCUSSION BRO!

How many grown men do you know who accidentally drowned in a pool, on drugs or not? Remember that next time you try denying alcohol to an adult. I saw King about two months before his death, and he was visibly more sober than I was at the time. Either police got the last laugh, or some crank addict decided that no mother fucker was going to stop them.

Point? Don't offer alcohol unless you're planning on keeping it available until closing.

If that weren't enough, vip bars stayed open until closing. People have rioted for much less, including tea. Considering you just paid $9 for a beer, considerations ought to be taken.

You had the nerve to tax my cup of beer. To put it kindly, Paul, did you expect me to agree? Gonna show you why we dumped it in the Sahara. Biggest little tent of beer you'll ever see.

As intelligent a some of you are, you sure do make a big deal out of people making a big deal out of nothing. Are you here to draw significance from the dirt, or to enjoy yourself? You figure that out.

Anissiar
03-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Nice post. I be taught something more difficult on different blogs everyday. It is going to always be stimulating to learn content from different writers and follow a little bit something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content material on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link in your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Zafocaine
03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Nice post. I be taught something more difficult on different blogs everyday. It is going to always be stimulating to learn content from different writers and follow a little bit something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content material on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link in your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Are you asking for something? Spit it out. The answer is still 'get Fucked,' but I figured I'd ask =)

CiderMouseRules
03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
If you're a Festival Warrior, the VIP isn't worth it at all. Years ago, it really felt VIP. But now it's so crowded, it's a bit more about getting to wait in a different set of lines. The food and drinks are marginally better... but not $300 better. The other toilets are nice, but it doesn't prevent you from taking a sweat bath the minute you step into a crowd.

But if you're really only going for the headliners and to take it easy, if you're not much an outdoors person, if your boyfriend or girlfriend isn't really a music nut and "is going for you"... then it can be nice. Personally, I can't fathom paying another $300 to go to Coachella.

jumpstart
03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
i got vip this year. I already know its not worth the money from the fact you still pay for everything with in...kind of stupid. But, maybe the experience will be differen't. either way I'm going to have a blast and probably wont spend that much time in the VIP areas.

marceverds
04-16-2013, 03:34 PM
VIP is for people that want to be VIP but aint shit... if you have $$$ get a fucking safari tent and get real perks like free drinks and backstage passes or just make friends with someone in the industry, and get one for free

marceverds
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
then get out of the forum you dumb cunt

Lynn163
04-16-2013, 05:30 PM

Best thing we did this year! Absolutely no lines. Parking was a 4 minute drive from house to parking lot. Never waited to get in or out of lot or venue. Was worth every penny for the escape and convenience after our experience last year and from what I've read about this year (maybe just Friday). Of course there are people in there just to be seen, but that's all over the fields.

Hayleymoo
04-17-2013, 12:15 AM
first year being VIP and it was totally worth it. very quick entrance/walk from shuttle stop to inside the festival (VIP entrance). Plenty of shade in the vip section next to the main stage. Didn't get searched all 3 days and was able to bring my big ass evian water bottle everyday without problems.

ddaprizio
04-17-2013, 01:06 AM
I just got back from this years Coachella, I had GA through half of it and Artist throughout the rest. It was cool having Artist bands but I had a lot more fun being in the crowd. VIP is the way to go if you don't want a full experience. A concert is meant to be in the middle of... just my opinion, but I had an amazing time!!! Lolla doesn't compare to Coachella, great time again but a totally different experience. #twodoorcinemaclub #knifeparty

TomAz
04-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Of course there are people in there just to be seen, but that's all over the fields.

Well, I saw you, what else do you need?

Lynn163
04-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Well, I saw you, what else do you need?

True. My weekend was made.

elChurro
04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
VIP areas can use credit cards at some of the food vendors and at the bars.

That's a great perk.

Wait. Paying more to be given options on how to spend even more is a perk?

Aikopua3
04-19-2013, 01:00 PM
yes, totally worth it. The easy in and out was outstanding. Entrance right off the shuttle lot, could not have been better. basically just walked right in on saturday and sunday. the rose garden vip was great. i will never not do vip from here on out.

Nicole G
04-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Fuck no. GA has air conditioned spots too and you can't get close to the bands with VIP. Only A bands will get you close. I'm never spending 400 for a couch again. ( Done both )

JustSteve
04-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Actually, artist, guest, and production get you close to the stage. Production on the actual stage.

andip1018
04-15-2014, 06:53 PM
I was fortunate and had a friend that hooked me up with a guest pass so i had front stage access and was able to hang out in the artist section as well as going back behind the stage to get to where I wanted to go. The free water and nicer bathrooms are a definite plus but I think straight VIP passes are not worth it. It seems very crowded back there and I mean there is shade and couches and all that but for what you would pay vs a GA you can get allot of the same things and soMeone mentioned nicer air conditioned bathrooms in the past all I saw back there were porta potties. The food trucks were yummy umami burger is really good and the drinks are great. Also there is no special viewing areas for the VIP you have a side view from the section of the main stage but that's it otherwise you fight the crowds If you can get your hands on a guest pass that's the worth anything extra that you can pay (although technically they are not for sale unless you get a safari tent) other than that if I was paying id go with GA.

DBA13
04-15-2014, 07:13 PM
grass where you don't get stepped on, amazing
I'm assuming you didn't go into VIP past sunset.

superfan
04-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Fuck no. GA has air conditioned spots too and you can't get close to the bands with VIP. Only A bands will get you close. I'm never spending 400 for a couch again. ( Done both )

Yeah, A bands arent the only ones, learn about all the types of Access. And fuck no, outright VIP isnt worth it. Gotta go higher than that.

vogina
04-15-2014, 07:56 PM
No. It is not worth it at all.

Ron808
04-15-2014, 10:14 PM
VIP isn't really VIP. They are just milking you. The line is an illusion if you have patience.

You can get AC on public places, shades and places to sit too.

Drewski27
04-15-2014, 10:17 PM
you should really be asking Win Butler, he seems to know.

TomAz
04-16-2014, 04:39 AM
Yeah, A bands arent the only ones, learn about all the types of Access. And fuck no, outright VIP isnt worth it. Gotta go higher than that.

which level comes with access to your mom?