PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss the Dumb Zone

algunz
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I found myself fleeing the Sahara section after I witnessed the dipshit fall from the bamboo sculpture.

Unfortunately, that didn't solve my problem. On Saturday, during The Shins I was in the main stage beer garden and this group of idiots were falling all over each other. They decided to yell every few seconds "Freebird" and they were writing with sharpie all over themselves. They started to write on the cement floor and I said, "Come on, have you no respect for your polo fields?"

Waiting in line to get through security, the stupidity that I was forced to endure was excruciating. It hurt my brain. It hurt my heart. I respect a good party, but I can't stomach the surge of disregard and lack of basic logic.

I'm at a loss. They are going to chase me away. I know I'm getting older. I know "kids will have fun." I refuse to let the element take yet another great musical experience away from me. Following is the best suggestion I've heard in ages, but what else can we do to stop the insanity?

Here's my radical idea that all of the kids are going to hate:

Get rid of the Sahara.

Yep. Get rid of it. With GV now owning the fields, they should put on a 2 or (god help us) 3 day dance event. Call it something stupid, like "Bass Escape" or some shit. Fill it with all of the bullshit that's been plaguing Coachella for the last 4 years and boom, things start to look up. Less raver teens. Smaller festival capacity. More dedicated E/IDM fans. Make the Mojave larger and throw the interesting electronic artists in there. You can keep the Sashas and Modeseletors and Orbitals of the genre. Of course, this would require the festival to want to move in a different direction (and more importantly- make less money), as it would affect the entire booking of the lineup, but still. It's something I wouldn't miss.

/pipe dreams

Robin
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
21+

Miroir Noir
04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I would legitimately rather listen to "Freebird" -- in its full fifteen minute One More From the Road idiocy/glory -- than to hear another two-second long "Freebird!" joke.

amyzzz
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
21+No, I want to keep bringing my kids.

Robin
04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
No, I want to keep bringing my kids.

21+ unless accompanied by legal guardian.

knytt
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Would they necessarily make less money if they split the festival though? I could see them at least breaking even depending on capacities and lineups. Either way it would make me much more inclined to attend.

TomAz
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I would legitimately rather listen to "Freebird" -- in its full fifteen minute One More From the Road idiocy/glory -- than to hear another two-second long "Freebird!" joke.

I always yell for "Louie Louie", myself. Because I love "Louie Louie".

Somewhat Damaged
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
The only hindrance I would see to Brandon's proposal would be that there's apparently a cap on how many weekends (3) Goldenvoice can run festivals at the polo fields. Unless they were to get around it by returning to just one Coachella and have the EDM fest on what would presently be the 2nd weekend of Coachella.

TomAz
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
The only hindrance I would see to Brandon's proposal would be that there's apparently a cap on how many weekends (3) Goldenvoice can run festivals at the polo fields. Unless they were to get around it by returning to just one Coachella and have the EDM fest on what would presently be the 2nd weekend of Coachella.

Contracts can be re-negotiated, and Indio may be more amenable given the apparent improvement in residents' experience this year.

This year I noticed for the first time that as you enter the city of Indio on 111 the sign says 'Welcome to Indio - City of Festivals'. Is that new? I think it is. Coachella is becoming part of Indio's identity and they may welcome limited expansion.

Goatchella
04-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Kill the derps

Lynn163
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
21+

I don't think there should be an age requirement for this music festival. Not everyone under 21 is a complete dolt. Most of the stupidity we witnessed was in the beer gardens like the OP's example. The closest I ever get to the Sahara is the Mojave tent so I can't comment on it.

Lynn163
04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Kill the derps

You're out for blood today!

Cheddar's Cousin
04-23-2012, 05:09 PM
This year I noticed for the first time that as you enter the city of Indio on 111 the sign says 'Welcome to Indio - City of Festivals'. Is that new? I think it is. Coachella is becoming part of Indio's identity and they may welcome limited expansion.

That sign's been there for at least the last 5 years, we have the date festival and the tamale festival too, you know...

CrimesceneCookie
04-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Don't forget the Carrot Festival

wOFNTfWsQrQ

gaypalmsprings
04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
'Welcome to Indio - City of Festivals'. Is that new? I think it is. Coachella is becoming part of Indio's identity and they may welcome limited expansion.

Coachella
Stagecoach
Date Fest
Tamale Fest
Arts Fest

JustSteve
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM

pretty sure goldenvoice would rather let the other promoters out there deal with an all edm fest and the etards it brings out, especially out in the desert and heat. recipe for disaster, especially with the proximity to l.a. and all the clueless parents who would drop their kids off.

menikmati
04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Contracts can be re-negotiated, and Indio may be more amenable given the apparent improvement in residents' experience this year.

Its not new...its been the slogan for a long time now.

RedHotSgtPeppers
04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Getting rid of the Sahara as the EDM stage is a double edged sword. Sure, it would discourage bros from coming, but say Skrillex got booked again. He would probably have to play the Mojave stage, and that bleeds too much into the general population. With the Sahara being the bro-hangout spot for shitty EDM, it keeps the bros and the skankwhores all in one contained area. Getting rid of the one place they are guaranteed to flock to would force the bros who would be attending Coachella to see say, another Swedish House Mafia-esque headliner, to mingle and gather around the places where non-douches would be.

Originalbob
04-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I'll probably get heat for saying this, but I do enjoy my mindless electronic/dance music. Granted, with the rise in Sahara Tent going-bros, I've been less inclined to head that direction.
I've witnessed the mindless drones fucking everything up, but alternative/electronic music is what defines the Coachella festival and that shouldn't be entirely ousted. IMO

Highly Refined Pirate
04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
You guys are so dramatic

Sexecutioner
04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
You guys are so dramatic

Seriously...I agree the Sahara is getting pretty brotastic, but does it really bring you down that much? I'm not a huge EDM connoisseur, but I enjoy hearing some DJs blow shit up from time to time, even if they're on the cheesy side. And even if you're not a fan of the music, you can't deny the fuckin energy in that tent is out of this world. I just love seeing that many people go bonkers, no matter whos playing. Wish the rock bands could get that kind of reaction. Sometimes I'm amazed at how boring people can be during a rockin show.

Josesativa
04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
sahara is dead for the most part . long live mojave and gobi

lt.roast.a.botch
04-23-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm with OGbob on this. Although I can see why it bothers people that some only come to Coachella to enjoy the popular peak time party electronic music that the Sahara has become (that is just one way to enjoy music but there is so much more), I like that the Sahara is there for me even though I spent less time in there then years past. I got my party fix in for Madeon, Alesso in the beer garden, and a few songs for Afrojack and had a blast.

I DO hope that GV intends to throw in more diversity in the EDM/IDM in future years and put them in the Mojave if necessary while this fad runs its course. Keep it diverse!

nathanfairchild
04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
just keep the sahara. it keeps the bros and prostitots all in one place all weekend. You don't want these idiots coming to a set you wanna see and then talking the whole time and complaining about the lack of drops.

ods..
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Ok, I'm down with keeping the Sahara as a giant bro-trap, but only if they up the production quality of the other stages to the level of the Sahara.

It just isn't fair trying to hear someone play in a PACKED Mojave while Afrojack soundbleed ruins a set.

I didn't step inside the Sahara tent once this year... It makes me sad too because the first Coachella set I ever saw was in there, and it was so memorable! (Gui '09). At least give us some good early day acts like Gui/Supermayer/Green Velvet/Riva Starr so that people like me can at least check out the tent... I was so jealous looking over at the crazy light production on the ceiling of the Sahara and the bass seemed completely massive.

Why wasn't Fly-lo in the Sahara? Gobi was going absolutely off, and the sound was actually pretty good (for the super inconsistent Gobi) but just imagine the bass/soundsystem/lights of the Sahara and the room to dance. I don't know... obviously GV wants to keep that kind of crowd in the Sahara at all times because they know those fucks will choose Sebastian Ingrosso always...

But for real fix Outdoor, Gobi, and Mojave. Some sets had alright sound (of course if you got close you had good sound) but for the most my only complaint about the festival was the quietness during sets like Frank Ocean, M83, etc etc. Whether I was centered behind the back speaker (which was too far back) or sandwiched in up close (tried both for both of these sets) the music was just too fucking quiet. No one could get fully into the set because of the volume.

lt.roast.a.botch
04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Ok, I'm down with keeping the Sahara as a giant bro-trap, but only if they up the production quality of the other stages to the level of the Sahara.

Completely agree with this. Time for Mojave to get a facelift.

cosmia
04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
just keep the sahara. it keeps the bros and prostitots all in one place all weekend. You don't want these idiots coming to a set you wanna see and then talking the whole time and complaining about the lack of drops.

every. single. time.

Highly Refined Pirate
04-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Time for Mojave to get a facelift.

Yes Yes Yes

Michelle760
04-23-2012, 10:12 PM
geez. so much hate for the sahara.lol. i enjoyed it.

RedHotSgtPeppers
04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey, Michelle. How was your 4/20 party you invited everyone to?

Originalbob
04-24-2012, 01:35 AM
geez. so much hate for the sahara.lol. i enjoyed it.

This is why you're not invited to post in this particular thread. Shuffle off with your other etard-friends. have a merry day

Mugwog
04-24-2012, 01:48 AM
This festival is about the bros too now.

PlayaDelWes
04-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Wonderlic test in the Front Gate waiting room please.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
This is why you're not invited to post in this particular thread. Shuffle off with your other etard-friends. have a merry day

Doing it. Wrong.

Dogvolta
04-24-2012, 07:03 AM
This was the first year at Coachella where I felt my age, and I am only 27.

Sexecutioner
04-24-2012, 07:31 AM
21+ unless accompanied by legal guardian.

This really should be done.

hippityhip
04-24-2012, 07:33 AM
You guys seriously pay too much fucking attention to the people around you. I agree the level of stupidity has been on the rise at coachella but I never let it get more than 2 seconds of my time. I have way too much fun with my group of friends or watching an awesome band fuck shit up. if I see someone acting like a jackass, talking loudly during a quiet set, being brotastic, being a reckless drunk, etc., I either don't pay attention to them or simply relocate. This year I was able to navigate thru crowds easily. This helped me stay away from all the dummies.

TomAz
04-24-2012, 07:44 AM
You didn't encounter any bro-chains?

unknown
04-24-2012, 08:01 AM
And even if you're not a fan of the music, you can't deny the fuckin energy in that tent is out of this world. I just love seeing that many people go bonkers, no matter whos playing. Wish the rock bands could get that kind of reaction. Sometimes I'm amazed at how boring people can be during a rockin show.

Just feed everyone pills. That will get them full of energy and fist pumping.

hippityhip
04-24-2012, 08:06 AM
You didn't encounter any bro-chains?

You know I did see a few pass in front/behind me but there was just a lot of room in the crowds this year that it didn't bother me. I really was too busy dancing and having fun to even bother with idiots.

Ravingmad
04-24-2012, 08:20 AM
You guys seriously pay too much fucking attention to the people around you. I agree the level of stupidity has been on the rise at coachella but I never let it get more than 2 seconds of my time. I have way too much fun with my group of friends or watching an awesome band fuck shit up. if I see someone acting like a jackass, talking loudly during a quiet set, being brotastic, being a reckless drunk, etc., I either don't pay attention to them or simply relocate. This year I was able to navigate thru crowds easily. This helped me stay away from all the dummies.

Basically this. Although it kinda sucks to have to move just because a group of idiots showed up near you, I've learned that when my annoyance level is higher than how much fun I'm having, it's time to move out. Don't stay somewhere just on the principle of the thing (unless you're right up close to the stage or something). Tougher to do if you're with a big crowd of people yourself, though.

TomAz
04-24-2012, 08:32 AM
You know I did see a few pass in front/behind me but there was just a lot of room in the crowds this year that it didn't bother me. I really was too busy dancing and having fun to even bother with idiots.

That's really the only part of bro-ness that actively irritated me this year. By Sunday I made it a mission to try to kick or trip every bro-train that came near me. My reaction time is not what it used to be however, so no bros were actually harmed.

algunz
04-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I just mentioned Brandon's idea as a possibility. I don't really want to get rid of the Sahara. I actually appreciate it's ability to coral some of the stupidity. I think my concern is more global. I've been to Coachella since it's genesis and I have witnessed the decline of intelligence in it's attendees. Is it just because the numbers have grown so much and the 80/20 rule is becoming more obvious or is the next generation of festival goer simply dumber? Is it the music that is making them dumber? Is it the coddling of their parents and the lack of exposure to genuine consequences? I don't know, but I was really frustrated by it all.

Josesativa
04-24-2012, 09:58 AM
I just mentioned Brandon's idea as a possibility. I don't really want to get rid of the Sahara. I actually appreciate it's ability to coral some of the stupidity. I think my concern is more global. I've been to Coachella since it's genesis and I have witnessed the decline of intelligence in it's attendees. Is it just because the numbers have grown so much and the 80/20 rule is becoming more obvious or is the next generation of festival goer simply dumber? Is it the music that is making them dumber? Is it the coddling of their parents and the lack of exposure to genuine consequences? I don't know, but I was really frustrated by it all.

popularity is the answer to your question . the line up is also another answer. cheese brings in really dumb mouses. imagine if the line up included no huge cheese pop stars on the radio? the sahara exp. would have been exponentially greater

rskapcat
04-24-2012, 10:02 AM
That's really the only part of bro-ness that actively irritated me this year. By Sunday I made it a mission to try to kick or trip every bro-train that came near me. My reaction time is not what it used to be however, so no bros were actually harmed.

My only act of violence all weekend was to shove the last guy in a train during the mass exodus after Gotye played "Somebody I Used To Know." I was so irritated that so many people had crowded at the front, knowing damn well they were going to leave after they heard that one song. I snapped.

SpicySammich
04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
I dream about hearing FlyLo in the Sahara, its a fucking disgrace he has not played in that tent.

So here's another dream - Festival on the Polo Fields in October quality EDM 21+ (was hoping for something like this when the two weekend deal was announced)

luckyface
04-24-2012, 10:09 AM
While I agree that there seems to be more idiots at the festival than in the past, my favorite two Coachellas have been the last two years. There is still a lot that is being done right. Just go with a nice group of friends and expect to see a bunch of derp'ers, and you will be ok. Manage expectations and realize the Coachella of old is not coming back. The new version can be just as fun, exhilarating, uplifting, etc as before if you do not hope for the unrealistic. If it has changed too much for you to get over it, that is understandable. Just find another festival that tailors to your wants and needs (seems like ATP is the festival of choice for these types). It is not the end of the world to grow out of something. The lack of understanding and the anger you have in dealing with the current teen population is likely a similar reaction of those before you when you were teens. Embrace it or move on.

TomAz
04-24-2012, 10:12 AM
So here's another dream - Festival on the Polo Fields in October quality EDM 21+

http://faeronwheeler.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Apocalyps-Now-Napalm.jpg

algunz
04-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I will never embrace it, but I will acknowledge and move on. It was frustrating for me that the element was so hard to avoid. I know I sound like such a curmudgeon at the moment, but I will be back next year.

hippityhip
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I will never embrace it, but I will acknowledge and move on. It was frustrating for me that the element was so hard to avoid. I know I sound like such a curmudgeon at the moment, but I will be back next year.

Algunz, you and I had a similar conversation about rave culture in another thread. Shit changes over time. When music/events/sub cultures become popular it attracts undesirables. You know this already.

hippityhip
04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Just find another festival that tailors to your wants and needs (seems like ATP is the festival of choice for these types). It is not the end of the world to grow out of something. The lack of understanding and the anger you have in dealing with the current teen population is likely a similar reaction of those before you when you were teens. Embrace it or move on.

This. I'm actually skipping Coachella next year to hopefully check out ATP and other fests overseas. Maybe staying away from Coachella for a bit will bring the magic back it once had for me. I had a ton of fun this year but after 9 years straight it's time to check other stuff out.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
"coral"

algunz
04-24-2012, 10:36 AM
"coral"

Damn you!

algunz
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Algunz, you and I had a similar conversation about rave culture in another thread. Shit changes over time. When music/events/sub cultures become popular it attracts undesirables. You know this already.

I know, but it still makes me sad that the same element is infiltrating another great music experience for me.

JustSteve
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

i guess that is one benefit of having a guest pass or above. i look at the little "corals" they give us at the front of that stages as a barrier keeping that element away from me now thanks to this thread, haha. didn't really have to deal with any of the aforementioned brotards and tweenyweenies.

rage patton
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I hear a lot of people complaining about sets being ruined by crowds this year but for me, aside from a completely obnoxious group of people who were on E and just waiting through The Black Keys for Swedish House Mafia, I don't really have any complaints about the crowds. In fact, for most of my favorite sets, the experience was enhanced by the crowd.

For example, a lot of people said too many people were talking around them during Jeff Magnum. Where I was, there were people crying they were so excited to see him and if they were singing a long, it was at a respectful volume and not belting them lyrics out at the top of their lungs. The people around me during that set definitely helped make it one of my favorites of the weekend. And thats just one of a number of examples.

Lynn163
04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
i guess that is one benefit of having a guest pass or above. i look at the little "corals" they give us at the front of that stages as a barrier keeping that element away from me now thanks to this thread, haha. didn't really have to deal with any of the aforementioned brotards and tweenyweenies.

I have some good friends that went weekend 2, and I didn't know they had the guest pass (all access, whatever it's called), and as I was looking at their pictures all I kept thinking was where is the crowd? Really no one showed up for this band?

redthreat
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
if sahara had any legitimacy in the dance world anymore this intro comment would offend me, but alas i could probably care less if sahara was shut down or not because it's utter lack of compelling artists the past two years has prevented me from going.

and, there already is a giant electronic festival, it's called wmc and it's in miami. then there's demf in detroit. then there's the retarded step-child of both, which is lightning in a bottle, but i'm not bothering with that.

frizzlefry
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I think our bitching could easily be solved if there was a better EDM undercard that would play during the day and maybe that one good get that closes out a night or two (Roykksop or Prodigy or whatever). Bros and other idiots will be at this festival regardless so the Sahara does serve a purpose now but that doesn't mean it should be filled to the brim with DJs that play the same tracks or identical music all day

Sexecutioner
04-24-2012, 10:05 PM
While I agree that there seems to be more idiots at the festival than in the past, my favorite two Coachellas have been the last two years. There is still a lot that is being done right. Just go with a nice group of friends and expect to see a bunch of derp'ers, and you will be ok. Manage expectations and realize the Coachella of old is not coming back. The new version can be just as fun, exhilarating, uplifting, etc as before if you do not hope for the unrealistic. If it has changed too much for you to get over it, that is understandable. Just find another festival that tailors to your wants and needs (seems like ATP is the festival of choice for these types). It is not the end of the world to grow out of something. The lack of understanding and the anger you have in dealing with the current teen population is likely a similar reaction of those before you when you were teens. Embrace it or move on.

Very well said. I agree with all of it.

idrive1life
04-25-2012, 12:18 AM
if sahara had any legitimacy in the dance world anymore this intro comment would offend me, but alas i could probably care less if sahara was shut down or not because it's utter lack of compelling artists the past two years has prevented me from going.

and, there already is a giant electronic festival, it's called wmc and it's in miami. then there's demf in detroit. then there's the retarded step-child of both, which is lightning in a bottle, but i'm not bothering with that.

Partly this. I totally moved on (been going to some of the world's best clubs/festivals/shows for my electronic music). Am done with either too lame or too much bros or too much hipsters crowd in US electronic festivals (though once in a while, I still enjoy the whinings/bickerings/lovefests in this board, aaah Coachella memories, ha). I'll die a happy man with 4 Coachellas, 3 UMFs, 1 ATP ... blah blah under my belt .-:)

quicksand
04-25-2012, 02:12 AM
21+

fuck that shit

jhouze
04-25-2012, 02:50 AM
During Calvin Harris Weekend 2 the two guys behind me were dancing like typical fratty douches (the just random moshing into you even though they have plenty of space) This was fine as I was managing to get plenty of elbows into one of the guys side and he started dancing farther away from me. Soon after they noticed Rihanna wasn't coming out as a special guest they immediately stopped dancing, began booing and flipping off Calvin Harris and discussing how awful and horrible it was Rihanna wasn't making a guest appearance.

I can only hope these kids were from a local college and didnt travel any considerable distance to have their "Coachella Experience" ruined when Rihanna didnt appear.

:nono:nono:nono:nono

JustSteve
04-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Very well said. I agree with all of it.

i agree, too. this year was my favorite out of my 9 straight.

JustSteve
04-25-2012, 07:02 AM
fuck that shit

how's your dad? still with honeywell?

Jman4321
04-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I had two derp-ish bros roll up right next to me in the front for Pulp, make fun of the scrolling text introducing the band, and then gaze up at Swedish House Mafia's giant disco ball and say "So close.". Then they knew every word to every song that Pulp played. Appearances can deceive.

Wolfbeckett
04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
popularity is the answer to your question . the line up is also another answer. cheese brings in really dumb mouses. imagine if the line up included no huge cheese pop stars on the radio? the sahara exp. would have been exponentially greater

cheese brings in really dumb mouses.

dumb mouses.

While I agree with the general tenor of this thread, I.E. the brotards and raver kids are annoying as fuck, one should always make sure they know that the plural of mouse is mice, not mouses, before calling other people dumb.

ods..
04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Bravo, Josesativa. Bravo. Everywhere I turn

Goatchella
04-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Praying for a separation by then.

Jk

Kinda

Goatchella
04-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Mouses

Goatchella
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

LIB has NOTHING to do with what the other two fests you mentioned do.

Thanks for making me fucking triple post you asshat
You could have called EDC, ULTRA, HARD or anything else the retarded step child of electronic festivals. You'r hurtin

aphrael
04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
While I agree with the general tenor of this thread, I.E. the brotards and raver kids are annoying as fuck, one should always make sure they know that the plural of mouse is mice, not mouses, before calling other people dumb.

*laugh*

i think in this context, mouses is right. or perhaps mau5es.

caeden
04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
LIB has NOTHING to do with what the other two fests you mentioned do.

Thanks for making me fucking triple post you asshat
You could have called EDC, ULTRA, HARD or anything else the retarded step child of electronic festivals. You'r hurtin

you'r

Goatchella
04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Good catch....I obviously tried ....better than youre or your

algunz
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Yuuuuuurrrrrrr!!!!!!

Wolfbeckett
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
*laugh*

i think in this context, mouses is right. or perhaps mau5es.

Oh, is it a Deadmau5 reference? I always pronounce that guy's name "Dead Mau Five" because I'm not fluent in the leetspeak that kids these days enjoy. If they're going to intentionally butcher the pluralization of an otherwise perfectly acceptable word they should at least go all the way with it, use the 5 instead of the s, so that people won't get confused.

baldomero
04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Seriously...I agree the Sahara is getting pretty brotastic, but does it really bring you down that much? I'm not a huge EDM connoisseur, but I enjoy hearing some DJs blow shit up from time to time, even if they're on the cheesy side. And even if you're not a fan of the music, you can't deny the fuckin energy in that tent is out of this world. I just love seeing that many people go bonkers, no matter whos playing. Wish the rock bands could get that kind of reaction. Sometimes I'm amazed at how boring people can be during a rockin show.

Very well put!!!:afu

eimie
04-25-2012, 09:04 PM
It's refreshing to know that you old-schoolers are still out there, and have expressed my sentiments much better than I could've myself. I still consider myself mid-school (06 onward), and I was surprised and sad that I hadn't encountered a single person from either weekend who had matched the longevity of my attendance (I guess I am old too). And I completely feel the OP's disappointment, because while the inexplicable popularity of (the blandest) EDM is a reality that we know we have to accept, it is still sad, since the main thing that had sold me on Coachella on Year 1 was the "vibe" that I couldn't put into words. Now literally, everyone, and their mothers (also literally), to whom I mention "Coachella" knows what it is. While it's nice to feel "hip" about being so "hardcore" about Coachella, that's not why I go.

In retrospect, I'm thankful that it was hot as a bastard on Week 2, because I'm just hoping that it's discouraged at least a few of the douchebags from returning next year.

On a slightly unrelated topic, I had the (mis)fortune of sneaking into the Special Guests section (left front row of main stage) following the Santigold back-up dancing opportunity this past Sunday, and while it was unreal to be able to enjoy ATDI's set from the front row without being touched once (whereas I had been fearing for my safety the previous Sunday), it felt completely lame to be surrounded by people who were basically friends of insiders, spent no $ to get in, and really didn't care all that much about being there either. Upon realizing that, my guilt about having snuck in transformed into "damn right I earned my way here after actually paying for both weekends". Life isn't fair sometimes.

Pixiessp
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I haven't been in the Sahara for 2 years now. It's just not the same. I missed all the folk that normally go for the EDM, Drum and Bass etc. that didn't this year because of the lackluster sahara type acts. I don't want a separate festival. Just no more Deadmaus, Skrillex crap.

kerby14
05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
lol the real dumb zone was that water refill line in the walkway between the terrace and the tent area that dropped u off behind the mojave. come sunday that line was like 50+ people deep (x6 lines i believe) and 100 feet away was the H&M tent where you could refill your water bottles with cold water in an air conditioned tent...we were laughing with the guys working at the bar there all day every time we went back to refill our bottles the line just got longer and longer..unbelievable that people were waiting like 20 min to fill water up when they could have been in and out in a minute or spent that 20 min sitting on a water bed in an air conditioned tent

algunz
04-15-2014, 12:44 PM
This is not a new phenomenon, people.

with_cheese
04-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Nor is this thread, you dingbat.

algunz
04-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Your cheese must come with extra dumb.

with_cheese
04-15-2014, 10:23 PM
That's not how cheese works, idiot.

algunz
04-16-2014, 06:41 PM

This was me 3 years ago. It's a process. There is hope.

vogina
04-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Coachella
Stagerape
Date Fest
Tamale Fest
Arts Fest

Fixed

I don't think this will ever happen. Coachella is about showcasing an eclectic music portfolio. We are essentially suggesting to change Coachella while at the same time expressing our concerns about a changing Coachella...
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/archive/b/b5/20120914120348!Exploding-head.gif

but deep down I agree with most of you

TomAz
04-17-2014, 12:50 PM
This was me 3 years ago. It's a process. There is hope.

have you mastered apostrophes yet?