PDA

View Full Version : Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festival

gaypalmsprings
04-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festival

7:22 PM, Apr. 19, 2012

LOS ANGELES -- The producers of the Coachella Music Festival are expected to ask a federal judge tomorrow to put a stop to the sale of unauthorized T-shirts and hats at this weekend’s event in Indio.

According to papers for trademark infringement filed in Los Angeles federal court, “John Does” -- whose identities are unknown at this point -- are hawking counterfeit T-shirts, jerseys, caps and other merchandise bearing the trademarks of the Coachella festival and 2012 headliners Radiohead, the Black Keys, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.

The illicit sale of inferior merchandise is taking place in the area around the festival grounds at the Empire Polo Club and `is likely to injure the reputation of the festival and its artists,” according to the complaint.

The festival takes place over two weekends this year, with about 75,000 music fans expected for the second installment starting tomorrow.

Coachella attorneys are expected, tomorrow morning, to ask U.S. District Judge Audrey B. Collins to issue a preliminary injunction and seizure order on fake merchandise sellers in time for the opening notes of the festival.

If Collins agrees, the order would authorize “the state police, local police or local deputy sheriffs, off-duty officers of same, and any person acting under their supervision” to “seize and impound any and all infringing merchandise.”

TomAz
04-19-2012, 08:34 PM
uh oh. erik watch out.

Andrew 619
04-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Tee shirts, jello shots!

Vic Viper
04-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Tee shirts, jello shots!
lol fuck that guy.

Michelle760
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Lmao. Wow

m fam
04-19-2012, 11:35 PM
It's all about the money. Everyone stay home next year. Teach the greedy producers a lesson.

Panda421
04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Fuck off m fam! Go sell some T Shirts and Jello shots

Prelude
04-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Tee shirts, jello shots!

How many campsites can this sketchball possibly saunter into while uttering the same phrase.....

threeve
04-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Like the guy selling "official shirts" by the shuttles at the end of the night? I can't even figure out how he got in there. I recall joking that the Radiohead shirt would have looked more official if it were in Comic Sans font.

Beyond that, who buys stuff from these idiots?

gaspard27
04-20-2012, 05:48 AM
The Jello shots were official...so I hear

heart cooks brain
04-20-2012, 05:51 AM
lol fuck that guy.

i lol'd pretty hard tho

gaypalmsprings
04-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Like the guy selling "official shirts" by the shuttles at the end of the night? I can't even figure out how he got in there. I recall joking that the Radiohead shirt would have looked more official if it were in Comic Sans font.

Beyond that, who buys stuff from these idiots?

I walked by that guy all 3 nights. I never saw anyone buy a shirt. They looked like they would fall apart in the washing machine.

dan13l
04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
The bloody mary guy was a life saver after a night of drinking. He probably got busted too.

hippityhip
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
A friend in my group bartered a couple of our beers for an "illegal" Coachella t-shirt. True story.

Bumblebee
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Its possible to make "Coachella 2012" merch with images of the mountains and not run afoul of any copyright or licensing laws. Selling in the campground those shirt may also be legal, but they can kick you out.

GV were idiots to name the festival after a city from a business point of view, as they can never control the single word name.

frizzlefry
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
The illicit sale of inferior merchandise is taking place in the area around the festival grounds at the Empire Polo Club and `is likely to injure the reputation of the festival and its artists,” according to the complaint.

I might get flamed for this but this is such a silly fucking quote to me. Some shitty T-shirt that some dope made to make money is really harming you Coachella? Are record sales going to drop for poor ole Snoop whenever someone sees some shoddy shirt?

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
The younger people in our group probably bought at least 200 jello shots from this guy over the course of the weekend and our Aussie contingent bought so many last year that the guy knew them right away, called them the dirty dozen, even though there were only 11 of them so probably because he sold a dozen for a small discount or something. I bought one of his Tshirts and it is a great shirt, love the color, nice artwork and all the bands listed on the back. We also bought posters from him for friends so he did a brisk business at our camp. Nearly everyone in our camp bought Tshirts inside and I was the only one that bought the Tshirt from the Jello shot guy because I really liked the color and designs on it. If GV had it for sale inside the fest I would have bought one there but it came to me in the campground, simple, easy and I am a happy customer.

tigermilkboy
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
The younger people in our group probably bought at least 200 jello shots from this guy over the course of the weekend and our Aussie contingent bought so many last year that the guy knew them right away, called them the dirty dozen, even though there were only 11 of them so probably because he sold a dozen for a small discount or something. I bought one of his Tshirts and it is a great shirt, love the color, nice artwork and all the bands listed on the back. We also bought posters from him for friends so he did a brisk business at our camp. Nearly everyone in our camp bought Tshirts inside and I was the only one that bought the Tshirt from the Jello shot guy because I really liked the color and designs on it. If GV had it for sale inside the fest I would have bought one there but it came to me in the campground, simple, easy and I am a happy customer.

The problem is you encourage this trade, so more people turn up selling crap. So whilst it seems harmless it actually makes things worse for the festival.

The shots thing is something the police/city will bring up in licensing. So GV end up having to increase security, police presence in the campgrounds and/or go to having over 21 to camp rules. So what seems harmless at the time, is actually a problem for the festival.

Neighborhood Creep
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
The problem is you encourage this trade, so more people turn up selling crap. So whilst it seems harmless it actually makes things worse for the festival.

The shots thing is something the police/city will bring up in licensing. So GV end up having to increase security, police presence in the campgrounds and/or go to having over 21 to camp rules. So what seems harmless at the time, is actually a problem for the festival.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-apH422PRhUE/TVoJk_YgPbI/AAAAAAAAD9o/ECZj0Yb7J_Q/s400/Whambulance.jpg

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-25-2012, 02:24 PM

I am sure you are right. The jello shots guy was not checking ID, no regulations or standards of any kind in place and personally I would not have eaten one if you paid me. I am glad I got the Tshirt though, my favorite of the 3 I bought at the fest. I promise not to buy any more from him...unless they are so cool that I cannot resist!

artisticcreator
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I buy the $5 shirts every chance I get. I'm not paying $20 for shirts to give to the family who didn't save up to go. I keep those 3 - 8 shirts every year for me.

frizzlefry
04-26-2012, 12:49 AM
So what seems harmless at the time, is actually a problem for the festival.

Just how big of a problem is this for ze festival?

choice cat
04-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Lol its fuckin jello shots WHO CARESZZ

Michelle760
04-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Damn...I wish I saw the bootleg shirts...the shirts they were selling at the fest weren't even that great

frizzlefry
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I never see any shirts that jump out at me until after the festival and I see someone walking down the street with them

Mugwog
04-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm sure the bootleg shirts looked better than the shitty merchandise this year.

I loved it when a tour shirt was worth the 30-40 bucks. The only thing I saw plausible was the Radiohead shirt that was orange with the KID A bear on it. That was $40 and fucking orange as a pumpkin with neon orange glow sticks.

$5 tshirt all day - who got one at Portishead @ The Shrine? Guy walked up the parking where everyone was in a jam and came up!