NoFX
Bad Religion
Lagwagon

jonas01radio
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I agree! NaS needs to be there.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
punk is dead and while i think the hip-hop lineup for coachella is pretty strong just go to rock the bells

duderanch
03-29-2007, 08:38 PM
shit...punk is dead isn't it...crap. The hip hop lineup is pretty strong...I am just getting greedy.

suprefan
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Punk is not coming to Coachella. Maybe the closest was when the Buzzcocks were rumored but thats it. And a lil more hip hop woudl be good. 2005 was sucha strong year for it but 2006 dissapointed me. Even with Kanye I felt it was very lacking.

Daft Fro
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes Punk is dead, ....Dance Punk on the other hand.....

rage patton
03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Listen to the Give Em The Boot compilations. There is an excellent mix of modern punk, rockabilly, ska and reggea artists that are still killer.
Punk isnt dead. Its just being over-shadowed but all this emo/pop/metal-core shit.

Punk is not coming to Coachella.

And punk IS on Coachella this year. Gogol Bordello and Against Me!
While Against Me!'s new stuff isnt that great, thier old stuff was awesome.
As for the Gogol Bordello, they are my #2 MUST see act.

duderanch
03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
against me! is punk...I think that is the only punk band on the list.

thelastgreatman
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Is it just me or does 90 percent of rap/hip-hop just make for a way shitty live performance? I love the genre(s?) when they're done well, but they're just not good music unless they have a seriously good live band. There's nothing I'd like to see less than some guys on stage rapping worse than they sound on the album with no actual musical instruments being played and all their homeboys having to shout out the last word of every bar 'cause they ain't got the breath to spit their own shit.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Is it just me or does 90 percent of rap/hip-hop just make for a way shitty live performance? I love the genre(s?) when they're done well, but they're just not good music unless they have a seriously good live band. There's nothing I'd like to see less than some guys on stage rapping worse than they sound on the album with no actual musical instruments being played and all their homeboys having to shout out the last word of every bar 'cause they ain't got the breath to spit their own shit.

that's true a lot of rappers are really shitty live. you don't need a band though if you have a good DJ that's as good or better, depending.

however ghostface is good live, the coup are good, the roots are supposedly one of the best live bands in the world, brother ali is pretty good, spankrock is supposed to be good, and i think pharaohe is too.

really though I agree, a lot of rappers are pretty crap live.

jjbaldwi
03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
outkast needs to play at coachella in 08

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 09:09 PM
i don't think andre 3000 plays shows anymore

but good lord that would be amazing

thelastgreatman
03-29-2007, 09:14 PM
that's true a lot of rappers are really shitty live. you don't need a band though if you have a good DJ that's as good or better, depending.

however ghostface is good live, the coup are good, the roots are supposedly one of the best live bands in the world, brother ali is pretty good, spankrock is supposed to be good, and i think pharaohe is too.

Oh, I'm so fucking down for seeing Ghostface (grew up near Shaolin, met some of those cats a couple times, sold Redman angel dust once) and the Roots. Coup are decent from the little I've heard, but for the most part I'm there for rock, most of which sucks too. The problem with seeing rap live for me is that I only really dig on concert performances that have a sonic quality (don't know any better way to describe them) because it interacts best with my substances. Rap is generally so bass heavy, it'd only be good for a k-hole I imagine.

At the same time, I'd fucking kill to have been at Chappelle's Block Party. Like KILL. My own family.

duderanch
03-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Brother Ali is sick live. Lupe Fiasco is ok...if jill scott is there it will be tight.
Never seen any of the other hip hop groups that are playing before.
Pigeon John puts on one of the best live shows I have ever seen regardless of genre, a lot of hip hop groups can put on tight shows, but most mainstream hip hop put on really crap balls shows.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
yeah I saw pigeon john and he was all jumping around and shit, he was really neat. that's all i really want in a rap performance is for the guy to have some energy, like if you're just standing there and rapping the lines then i might as well have listened to the CD

thelastgreatman
03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Pigeon John is fucking down, I'm with you there. I just really hate it when they have their homies on stage to fill the last line in the bar. Sorry niggas, but get your fucking breath up and perform, goddammit. I don't want to hear your homies. Your homies fucking suck, otherwise they'd be doing their own shit. Feel me?

cbrl23
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Common last year was one of the best hip hop performances I've seen in a while, the best part was the last song, when he kick the crap out of the drums.

This year: the Roots, the Coup and Spank Rock

jackstraw94086
03-29-2007, 10:14 PM

I've seen Roots 3 times and they are the shit. They have a synergy like few acts I've ever seen. The Crown City Rockers are another act like that, but they border on a funk band as well.
I've seen Lyrics Born a couple times and he's good too, but the man doesn't like to move around a lot. Busdriver doesn't move at all either, but you're trying so hard to catch his words that him moving around would only make it more confusing. He's a great act too.

I fucking hate hip hop acts like Wu Tang or any of the Hiero acts where it's 50 dudes on stage milling around as if they just stopped in on their way to somewhere else, all talking over each other and the rest having side conversations with themselves as if they're in the VIP room.

I'd imagine a spankrock show would be a blast. I've missed them twice in SF now.

Macromantics. great live. Get her album and catch her next show. She's like a mature Lady Sov but with talent.

Trick Loves The Kids
03-29-2007, 10:57 PM
last time I saw busdriver he sucked, the sound was shitty and his DJ-but-not-quite-a-DJ thing was kind of lame. He's a little too weird for me.

I've never seen Wu Tang but I heard a live recording of them with the El Michels Affair and they fucking killed it, just hit after hit, it was amazing. I'm really hyped for rock the bells.

jjbaldwi
03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
agreed. and, hiero kicks bus driver, lyrics born live asses

jackstraw94086
03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
hiero blows at big shows. at coachella they were a complete joke.

xbnmx
03-29-2007, 11:11 PM
I could go for Blackalicious and/or Felt.

jjbaldwi
03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
HIEROGLYPHICS HARDLY BLOW

jackstraw94086
03-29-2007, 11:32 PM
HIEROGLYPHICS HARDLY BLOW

as opposed to softly maybe.

EDIT: I love their recorded stuff. I just don't think it translates well on stage.

ewiggy
03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
I could go for Blackalicious and/or Felt.

word. felt. so excited. can't wait.

also can't wait for busdriver, who is awesome live, and spank rock, who will be awesome live.

boarderwoozel3
03-31-2007, 05:28 PM
If Nofx or Bad Religion got added that would be fucking awsome. Too bad coachella isn't really their style.

Californicator
03-31-2007, 06:18 PM
whatevs. BUSDRIVER is ill. Too bad I probably won't make it for friday.

RockStr4Life
03-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd be down for Dropkick Murphys at Coachella

jorluivil
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
IF YOU WANT MORE HIP HOP GO TO A FUCKEN HIP HOP CONCERT!!!!!!

summerkid
04-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Common last year was one of the best hip hop performances I've seen in a while, the best part was the last song, when he kick the crap out of the drums.

This year: the Roots, the Coup and Spank Rock

Common was great. Murs was good too last year. Anyone see Atmosphere last year? oh and why the hell hasn't De La Soul played Coachella yet?

SubBass49
04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Brother Ali is dope as hell...Busdriver is kind of boring...have a hard time getting into his stuff...

Trick Loves The Kids
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
brother ali killed the opening spot last year which is hard shit to do

ewiggy
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
so far, brother ali sounds like a lazy and less inventive atmosphere.

am i listening wrong? learn me.

summerkid
04-01-2007, 11:49 AM
well...Ant produced Brother Ali's album so that's one half of atmosphere and Slug and Brother Ali are both from minnesota so...the comparison is valid, but I think I prefer Ali a bit more.

SubBass49
04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Brother Ali really doesnt sound anything like Atmosphere...at least lyrically. The beats maybe...one some tracks...

What songs have you listened to?

Californicator
04-04-2007, 09:52 AM
so far, brother ali sounds like a lazy and less inventive atmosphere.

am i listening wrong? learn me.

Atmosphere sounds like a less witty, Sage Francis who can't freestyle.

SAGE FRANCIS rips the shit out of everyone.

brokenDREAMS
04-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Brother Ali killed it a couple of weeks ago @ Paid Dues. He will do the same @ Coachella.

SubBass49
04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
You'd be surprised by Brother Ali's stage presence. I think his live show wins over most of the people who see it. Same with Sage Francis...even if you're not into his albums, his live stuff will knock you on your ass.

Trick Loves The Kids
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
sage francis fucking blows

i saw him once and he did that song about jay-z and i was like fuck you bitch

SubBass49
04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hahaha...is that the only reason you dont like him? I myself liked to talk shit about Jay-Z until a friend who is a big fan of his pointed out some of his lyrics where he said something about how he really respects what more underground & concious emcees have to say, and that he recognizes he's a sell-out. I gained some respect for Jay-Z because of that. But you gotta admit Sage Francis is one DOPE emcee...

Trick Loves The Kids
04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
no i don't have to admit that because it's not true

SubBass49
04-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Hahaha...oh come on...just because he dissed Jay-Z? Is there any other reason?

Trick Loves The Kids
04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
no not just because of that, i just don't think he's great

SubBass49
04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I think he's one of the few real emcees left that can mix humor and meaningful lyrical content in the same breath. And he's REALLY into his live shows...one of the hardest working emcees in the biz. I'm curious to hear his new album when it comes out.

GrumpyCoMoFo
04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
there is some shit going down on this thread. let me add my input. i'm just going to talk about artists at Coachella, eventhough, I saw Sage Francis before and he ripped it. the man can freestyle. anyways.......nobody has talked about El-P. i'm going to that show for sure. his new album is suppose to be killer. he has a track with Trent Reznor on it. as for Busdriver. I think he's dope. nobody sounds like him. granted some of his tracks arent very accesible, but i think he will put on a good show. he sings alot on his new disc and i hope he doesnt try to sing live, cause he cant. Brother Ali, I have also seen, and is dope live for sure. imagine a big albino dude rapping. he has skills for sure. Pharoah Monche I would imagine to rip it too. The Roots will def. be dope. The Coup and Spankrock I need to listen to more, but I think round out the hip-hop line-up nicely.

SubBass49
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah...the Hip-Hop lineup rocks, but there's nothin wrong with more...

El-P will be dope

The Roots will be dope

The Coup will be dope

boboso
04-04-2007, 09:19 PM
as for Busdriver. I think he's dope. nobody sounds like him. granted some of his tracks arent very accesible, but i think he will put on a good show.

Nobody except Sen Dog from Cypress Hill.

Californicator
04-15-2007, 01:32 AM

Yeah, Jay Z is the best rapper with a lisp i've ever heard. Almost as good as Aries Spears:

rP3qL4UG1TI

MonsoonSeason
04-15-2007, 01:56 AM

I was sad when he did that but the man has a right to his own opinions

he's not like that fucking Jim Jones who railed on both Nas and Jay-Z that's just downright trifling

kennycarly
04-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Lupe is great live!
The Roots are the BEST live!
Common had a very similar feel to Lupe when I saw him.
I'd like to se Wu Tang, Rhymefest,OutKast, Nas or Talib Kweli added personally.
They are some great hip hop acts.

RifleEyes
04-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I am looking forward to Busdriver, for some reason. You know who I would love to see? Doseone, in any of his forms. Solo, with Boombip, with Jel, god forbid with Why? and Odd Nosdam.

rage patton
04-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah, Jay Z is the best rapper with a lisp i've ever heard. Almost as good as Aries Spears:

rP3qL4UG1TI

I saw that video a while ago. That is pretty fuckin talented... and funny.

Anyways, Sage Francis is signed to Epitaph... what is up with that?
I do realize Atmosphere is also signed to Epitaph... but does anyone else think its kind of strange hip-hop acts are being signed to a punk label? Well, what used to be a punk label anyways. Now its more of an emo label... but thats a totally different topic right there.

And I agree, I would love to see OutKast added! Or on next year, whichever. I heard Big Boi and Andre werent working together anymore though?

MonsoonSeason
04-15-2007, 11:11 AM
dude because it's awesome to skate to and it's all about hating the government and your parents

Trick Loves The Kids
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
i don't think andre 3000 performs live anymore. they still work together though.

summerkid
04-15-2007, 11:20 AM
well they added cut chemist.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I know I will get flamed for this but how about Missy Elliot in the Sahara Tent, with Timbaland as Dj..

SubBass49
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Fuck Timbaland...he's a biotch. He's STILL trying to start shit with Scott Storch...Timbaland's just mad because he burned out back in 2000 and Storch is still goin' strong...

Sci-Fi
04-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Lupe is wak.

Doors2time
04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Bus driver is tight! hey sci-fi why arent you playing this year?

SubBass49
04-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Bus Driver is pretty boring if you ask me....his stuff makes me wanna jab my ears with an ice pick just to hear something exciting...

clarky123
04-16-2007, 04:59 AM
I thought most of the good hip-hop\rap artists had all been shot by their friends in "drug deal gone wrong" type frenzied arguments?
Can't beat a bit of Eminem though!!

SubBass49
04-16-2007, 05:00 AM
I thought most of the good hip-hop\rap artists had all been shot by their friends in "drug deal gone wrong" type frenzied arguments?

Name one that has...

clarky123
04-16-2007, 05:15 AM
50 Cent? Correct me please if I am wrong but hasnt he himself been shot nine times, and always wears a bulletproof vest?

kennycarly
04-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Didn't you say 'Good'?!

SubBass49
04-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Didn't you say 'Good'?!

I second that...

And anyway, how can someone that shoots you be considered your friend in the first place? Didn't think this out very well did ya?