PDA

View Full Version : Coachella 2012 Breaks Attendance Record

luckyface
04-19-2012, 09:12 AM
80,000 - 85,000 people this year (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Coachella-Breaks-Attendance-Record-85000-stabbing-148020395.html)

I thought it felt a shit ton more crowded than last year. Will they just quietly continue to up capacities every year? Not a huge fan of that.

with_cheese
04-19-2012, 10:32 AM
This year felt so much more packed than last year. It was a bit unpleasant at times.

TomAz
04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Still felt better than 2010 though.

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Wonder what attendance weekend 2 will bring. Supposedly it's sold out as well.

locachica73
04-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Extremely better than 2010. There were a few crowded moments for me, and I am not a fan of crowds, but I was still able to get in/out from wherever I wanted to be without too much stress. I also noticed that even though there were more people there seemed to be less trash on the grounds. I am hoping that means people are just a lot more willing to find a trash can when done with water/food but I also noticed a lot more employees running around picking up after people.

PlayaDelWes
04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Extremely better than 2010. There were a few crowded moments for me, and I am not a fan of crowds, but I was still able to get in/out from wherever I wanted to be without too much stress. I also noticed that even though there were more people there seemed to be less trash on the grounds. I am hoping that means people are just a lot more willing to find a trash can when done with water/food but I also noticed a lot more employees running around picking up after people.

YES! All of that. If you wanted to be on / close to rail, you could for any act with very little advanced arrival.

nosurprises12
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Anything is better than 2010 - even with the venue's size, an extra 10-15k people on top of those who paid to get in will make for a miserable experience. I felt it was only a bit more crowded this year as compared to last, but it really wasn't enough to make me not enjoy a set I wanted to see. I also feel like the large majority of the crowd went to certain specific sets throughout the weekend (Justice, Gotye, Sahara crap, etc.), something which I am sure sucked if you were there but was quite nice if you were seeing someone else.

Vic Viper
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
i thought it felt more crowded but dismissed it as my brain playing tricks on me. any more than this and it'll be too much.

bluecheese
04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I was there in 2010, it was much less crowded this year.

aphrael
04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
This year felt so much more packed than last year. It was a bit unpleasant at times.

hmm. this must have varied wildly depending on who you were seeing; it felt much less packed than last year to me, and i kept stumbling across almost empty tents. (Atari Teenage Riot crowd, i'm looking at YOU).

aphrael
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Anything is better than 2010 - even with the venue's size, an extra 10-15k people on top of those who paid to get in will make for a miserable experience. I felt it was only a bit more crowded this year as compared to last, but it really wasn't enough to make me not enjoy a set I wanted to see. I also feel like the large majority of the crowd went to certain specific sets throughout the weekend (Justice, Gotye, Sahara crap, etc.), something which I am sure sucked if you were there but was quite nice if you were seeing someone else.

I spent about 1/3 of my time in the Sahara, and it never felt crowded. Only set I went to which really felt mind-bogglingly crowded was M83.

choice cat
04-19-2012, 11:33 AM
2011 seemed to have less, but this year it didn't seem like THAT much more.

luckyface
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
As others said, anything is better than 2010. That is the year they decided to up capacity 15,000 while keeping the venue the same size as before. With the added gate jumpers, it was a huge disaster.

It was still manageable this year, but last year was absolutely perfect. I just hope they don't keep raising capacities.

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
This year broke attendance record so more people went this year. 2010 may have seemed more crowded but it wasn't, mathematically speaking.

arthurbang
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
This is surprising to me. It definitely seemed less crowded this year to me than the last few, especially Friday because of the cold weather. We never even waited more than a few minutes to get in or out of the parking lots, and that NEVER happens.

faxman75
04-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I also thought it felt much less crowded this year in comparison to last. I thought Friday and Saturday had even less people than Sunday. Sunday was the first day I came across a set I couldn't access because I didn't want to push through the crowd. I forget which set it was now. It was in the Mohave in the afternoon.

TomAz
04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
This year broke attendance record so more people went this year. 2010 may have seemed more crowded but it wasn't, mathematically speaking.

Unless you count the 25,000 gate crashers in 2010.

Robin
04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
There was one stabbing at this year's event, when a Woodland Hills man wounded a friend of his ex-girlfriend, perhaps mistaking the victim for her new boyfriend

Guys, this will probably not win your ex gf back.

JustSteve
04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
and dude is not pressing charges. how does that work?

Robin
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
He's probably scared he'll get stabbed if he did press charges.

seitron
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Crowded = # People / Area of Land. Area of Land 2012 > Area of Land 2010. # People + Gategrashers = More People.

= more crowded. mathematically speaking.

TheClaw
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow. It honestly didn't feel that crowded. On Friday and Saturday I was easily able to get good spots at the main stage in the middle of the day. The only tents shows that were insane were Gotye and grouplove.

amma_sol
04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
i thought it felt way more crowded than last year. We never had to wait in line to get in and out last year. Also, the Sahara tent was ALWAYS packed this year. Barely enough room to move let alone dance.

Goatchella
04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
They prob figure if they have cheese acts they can allow 20,000 more people in because they are all 5'5 and 120lb raver nerds

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I personally did not feel the larger crowds this year. I've been going for 12 years and the only 2 times its been bad were 2006 and 2010. 2010 was the absolute worst or the worst though.

Gribbz
04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I personally did not feel the larger crowds this year. I've been going for 12 years and the only 2 times its been bad were 2006 and 2010. 2010 was the absolute worst or the worst though.

Yep. Not crowded at all IMO.

heyeric
04-19-2012, 01:27 PM
They prob figure if they have cheese acts they can allow 20,000 more people in because they are all 5'5 and 120lb raver nerds

You speak the truth HAHAHAHA

Miroir Noir
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah, either my senses are failing me, or I'm just going to increasingly unpopular sets, because this felt like the least crowded festival since '09.

Miroir Noir
04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I also liked this at the end of the article luckyface posted:

There was one stabbing at this year's event, when a Woodland Hills man wounded a friend of his ex-girlfriend, perhaps mistaking the victim for her new boyfriend, Guitron said.

The victim is not pressing charges.

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Crowded = # People / Area of Land. Area of Land 2012 > Area of Land 2010. # People + Gategrashers = More People.

= more crowded. mathematically speaking.

Hmm they have more area now? That'll make all the difference. Thanks for the course Professor.

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Unless you count the 25,000 gate crashers in 2010.

25,000 gatecrashers!? Surely you jest

captncrzy
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Agreed

Lynn163
04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I didn't think it was crowded till Saturday night and later on Sunday. Felt like everyone just showed up for the headliners.

TomAz
04-19-2012, 03:08 PM

I can't find the LA Weekly article now. Google clusterfuckchella and see what you come up with.

Bumblebee
04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
What I find interesting is Indio gave the festival a hard cap on people allowed onsite. They must have added stricter rules on comps and employees.

luckyface
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM

That's the number that Goldenvoice claimed. I believe they said 90,000 - 100,000 were wandering around that year.

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I can't find the LA Weekly article now. Google clusterfuckchella and see what you come up with.

Unauthoritative but this source says as many as 30,000 gatecrashers in 2010. Holy moly that's just bad management.

theGold
04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
It seemed so sparse to me! Especially the lines and camping area. Did car campers even tailgate this year? I never saw a line build up

Bumblebee
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Unauthoritative but this source says as many as 30,000 gatecrashers in 2010. Holy moly that's just bad management.

I think the scanners went down one day in 2010 and anyone with a kinks color photocopied wristband got waved through the front gates. Plus the year before still had walk-up tickets at the box office.

For me in 2012, only Gotye and M83 suffered from overcrowded where a couple thousand people could not see or hear anything of value.

bluecheese
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
What I learned this year was to wake up early and take advantage of the sparse stages.. there is so much good talent early.

n3glect
04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
There were definitely lines mid day. I had friends who had an hour wait in the security check.

However, entry was pretty quick earlier, with the exception of Friday.

fatbastard
04-19-2012, 09:59 PM
The Sahara tent really needs a logo with a sickle.

sidsjiff
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Definitely more crowded than last year but not ridiculous like 2010 and 2006.
Back to the point about GV selling 10K more tickets this year - now that they own the fields, maybe they'll expand the grounds even more and sell more tickets in the future? They have a product in major demand and I don't see why they won't try to milk it for what it's worth. Pisses me off a bit but this is not the Coachella of 7-8 years ago anymore.
Oh and the extra space they added near where the ferris wheel is now was rather cool. Liked the full bar, Pink's and some of the other food trucks. Good place to chill out.

seitron
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Hmm they have more area now? That'll make all the difference. Thanks for the course Professor.

They do. Dumbass. That whole food court area was added after 2010, if you think it doesn't make a huge difference in crowd movement you fail hard. That tiny plot of land stops a lot of congestion between the stages and lets them add a few more thousand people.

I agree, it didn't feel crowded this year, 80-85k was a good number.

travelfan
04-20-2012, 08:04 AM
There were only two times I thought this year was more crowded than last. The first was that the lines seemed noticeably longer to get in. There were times we waited 20 minutes, I don't remember doing that before. The second was that all of the sudden Sunday afternoon/night seemed way more packed than any other day prior. Don't know why, but several other people have mentioned this as well.

Then again, the only set I went to that I think was considered one of the more crowded ones was M83, and we were really far up front. I wasn't there, but apparently Gotye and David Guetta were intolerably crowded.

n3glect
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Having Gotye in the Mojave was a poor decision. I'm still scratching my head about that one.

I think that they judged the capacity almost perfectly this year. If they add any more to capacity next year, it'll be 2010 all over again.

Lynn163
04-20-2012, 08:28 AM
There were definitely lines mid day. I had friends who had an hour wait in the security check.

However, entry was pretty quick earlier, with the exception of Friday.

They didn't have enough lines into the camp grounds. Hope they change that next year, or maybe not make us go through the camp grounds like previous years!

TomAz
04-20-2012, 08:29 AM

They made serious mistakes in 2010, no doubt. The good thing is they learned from them.

with_cheese
04-20-2012, 09:28 AM
They didn't have enough lines into the camp grounds. Hope they change that next year, or maybe not make us go through the camp grounds like previous years!

Agreed. If they are going to do a thorough search like they did on weekend 1 (checking the pockets and sleeves of every item of clothing in people's bags) then they need to get more people. Ugh, just imagining the people this weekend having to do that wait in 100 degree temperatures.

aguadulce
04-20-2012, 09:49 AM
It seemed WAY less crowded to me.

The lines getting in from the day parking lots were non existent - you walked right up to the
person doing the checks each day. It was fantastic.

Also the food lines were short whenever we got anything to eat. Except for Friday night when
it was really cold and the coffee line was about 100 people long and not one other food place had
anyone.

Lynn163
04-20-2012, 10:04 AM
It seemed WAY less crowded to me.

The lines getting in from the day parking lots were non existent - you walked right up to the
person doing the checks each day. It was fantastic.

Also the food lines were short whenever we got anything to eat. Except for Friday night when
it was really cold and the coffee line was about 100 people long and not one other food place had
anyone.

How was getting out of the parking lot every night? So far I haven't seen anything about it.

luckyface
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I keep reading about how this year's lines were better than ever. Maybe I timed things better last year or something, because every line to enter and leave was significantly longer this year (except the shuttle lines, which were again outstanding). The tents for the bigger acts seemed more crowded, as well. When we were going to stop in to hear Afrojack, the lines out the side were at least 20 people deep. I would have hated to see what it would have looked like for an actual great electronic act!

luckyface
04-20-2012, 10:20 AM
How was getting out of the parking lot every night? So far I haven't seen anything about it.

We drove by the parking lot lines on the shuttles and they seemed pretty congested. I imagine they were better than previous years.

BROKENDOLL
04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
They made serious mistakes in 2010, no doubt. The good thing is they learned from them.
Every year since it's inception, GV/Coachella has been dealt with plus's and minuses, and usually by the following year they've been addressed. The clusterfuck of traffic that the local residents complained about the first few years is practically non-existent now. Monroe Street used to be backed up to the I-10 freeway, bumper to bumper at the peak times, and as a resident of Indian Palms C.C. you didn't think to try coming home on Monroe after say, 10pm because traffic was all one way heading back to the freeway from that point on.Think that didn't upset the locals? Now those same locals are offering up places for fans to stay for the festival.

And if you look back through the years at most of the complaints or suggestions regarding the inside of the festival, those have also been addressed. I wouldn't call them mistakes by GV, but learning lessons. They set the rules, and we've broken them. Unfortunately, because of Coachella's growth and popularity, coupled with the fact that they give us inches and some peeps insist upon going way past a mile, we're learning and paying the price for those lessons they're learning from us. Sorry, but I can't blame GV for the fact that my 10 minute stroll down the street to the fest, has now become an obstacle course that takes a good 45 minutes, nor can I bitch about security lines and searches, when even I've got shit I'm bringing in that I shouldn't be. And while we all know that rules get broken, the complete fucking idiots should keep in mind how the rule they're breaking might affect the future of their festival, and think twice before thinking that they'll get away with it. Prior to 2010, you never experienced 3 separate searches just to get to your music, just like you never saw 3 rows of fencing surrounding that music. Thanks to those 30,000 fucking idiots in 2010, Coachella now feels kind of like some Nazi camp/prison. And, thanks to the fucktard responsible for the stabbing, we can probably expect even more security issues in the future. Shit like that could put a stop to the fest if it continues. Quit fucking it up, idiots!

arthurbang
04-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I think I posted about it earlier, but we parked in Lot 14 all 3 days (coming down Monroe from the freeway seemed to work great!). It never more than a few minutes to get in or out. We also never had any wait at the security checks.

gaypalmsprings
04-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Week 2 is more crowded than Week 1. I love Hotchella.

mountmccabe
04-21-2012, 09:37 AM
I thought it felt less crowded this year.

Also i don't remember 2006 as being extra crowded, though I guess there were def more people than 2005.

romanticizer
04-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I have nothing to compare it to but it seemed a lot less "Cattle Drive" than Sasquatch.

bluecheese
04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
that's weird, I thought week 1 would be more crowded.

How's the grass holding up?

loopy
04-21-2012, 02:40 PM
hmm. this must have varied wildly depending on who you were seeing; it felt much less packed than last year to me, and i kept stumbling across almost empty tents. (Atari Teenage Riot crowd, i'm looking at YOU).

Ditto, it actually felt less crowded to me than previous years. Maybe it was the weather on Fri, but even Sat/Sun felt like it.

loopy
04-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I think the scanners went down one day in 2010 and anyone with a kinks color photocopied wristband got waved through the front gates. Plus the year before still had walk-up tickets at the box office.

I was just talking about this with a friend. It's crazy to me that it was just three years ago that somebody could walk up to the box office and buy a ticket day-of.

indietron
04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I think I posted about it earlier, but we parked in Lot 14 all 3 days (coming down Monroe from the freeway seemed to work great!). It never more than a few minutes to get in or out. We also never had any wait at the security checks.

This. Lot 14 was magic.

I think the acts you see really determine your perception of how crowded the festival is. If the majority of the bands you're seeing are those that everyone else wants to see (M83, Gotye, Afrojack, etc), then you're going to run into massive crowds all weekend. The majority of the acts I saw, however, had fairly smaller crowds. Jeff Mangum, Sean Kuti, Wu Lyf, Explosions, and Wild Beasts to name just a few. It just depends on who you're seeing.

Lynn163
04-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Week 2 is more crowded than Week 1. I love Hotchella.

It looks like from the pictures I've seen posted this weekend.

frizzlefry
04-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Crowds for the acts I wanted to see were for the most fairly sparse which was amazing. The most crowded acts I saw that weren't headliners were The Hives, Pulp, and The Rapture and I was able to get close enough to enjoy their set without a problem. I did notice that the lines getting from camping got pretty long as the day went on. I remember always being able to just walk in for 2011 but the searches were also much more lax last year. I also remember there being more entrances opened last year for some reason too, am I wrong? Restroom and food lines were about the same, they cut down on spigots in the refillable water stations which was fucking bull shit in my opinion, made for bigger lines. Such a fucking cruel and cheap ploy to make more money, way to be green Goldenvoice.

gaypalmsprings
04-23-2012, 07:11 PM
At least there was plenty of room at the water refill stations....

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/P1080320.jpg

anonimouse
04-23-2012, 11:09 PM
iany more than this and it'll be too much

this x1000000

tmac
04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
At least there was plenty of room at the water refill stations....

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/P1080320.jpg
it was incredible how hit and miss these were. half the time there was 20 people waiting for each faucet. the other half there wasn't anyone waiting.

Originalbob
04-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Day parking wasn't too bad, only if you arrived early. Leaving after you've arrived late meant you were shoved in the back and had to wait for the other closer lot (Lot 14) to fully empty before being allowed out. Happened to us Fri after dropping off the moody sister wanted to call it quits before the evening started.

The crowds didn't seem bad at all this year. The alcohol lines seemed to be a bit of a bummer whenever I wanted a drink, but that could've been my timing.

Bumblebee
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
it was incredible how hit and miss these were. half the time there was 20 people waiting for each faucet. the other half there wasn't anyone waiting.

I was done with the water in under a couple minutes all but once. Only one day around 2:30 when it was hot and people were coming thru the front gates ready to fill up their empty bottles.

redthreat
04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
there are too many people now. and GV of course is too greedy to cut down on attendance numbers despite opening up another weekend. i remember a few years ago you could run to another stage if you wanted to. good luck with that now.

CrimesceneCookie
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Sahara area was overcrowded when the sun went down. Weather or not that is a good thing depends on your point of view.
Couldn't get anywhere near M83, but I had a feeling it would be this year's Cut Copy so I wasn't surprised.
I don't have much to complain about everywhere else.

ods..
04-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I keep reading about how this year's lines were better than ever. Maybe I timed things better last year or something, because every line to enter and leave was significantly longer this year (except the shuttle lines, which were again outstanding). The tents for the bigger acts seemed more crowded, as well. When we were going to stop in to hear Afrojack, the lines out the side were at least 20 people deep. I would have hated to see what it would have looked like for an actual great electronic act!

Really...? Modeselektor was amazing with great space to move around... Obviously good electronic acts won't garner as many people as the Afrojacks and Guettas of the world.

And it felt great all day on the fields this year. So many idiots who show up after 5 pm or later which leave the fields nice and empty during the entire day. The only crazy packed sets I saw this year were M83 and Frank Ocean. I steered clear of the Sahara tent completely. For the most part, the fest did not seem too crowded, but of course as the night goes on more and more people show up. Just how it is.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Noob of the Year 2011

ADrunkPoet
04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Ever since they alleviated the bottleneck of foot traffic between the front and back of the polo grounds with the food court and additional access to Mojave and Sahara, it has not felt truly crowded to me. Until you're trying to walk out of course. I heard that people close to the front for Dre and Snoop did not get through the exit for at least an hour.

ods..
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Noob of the Year 2011

:winkiss

dancefreak
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I heard that people close to the front for Dre and Snoop did not get through the exit for at least an hour.

That's a massive exaggeration. I was close to the front and was sitting in my car--after a stop at the lockers to turn in my key--before 1230.

Mr. Dylanja
04-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I thought it felt more crowded this year than last.

GV buying the property suggests that another expansion is inevitable. I wouldn't mind as long as they added another stage. Sure there's room overall inside the festival, but for me at least, the tents seemed packed at every set I went to.

aphrael
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Really...? Modeselektor was amazing with great space to move around... Obviously good electronic acts won't garner as many people as the Afrojacks and Guettas of the world.

And it felt great all day on the fields this year. So many idiots who show up after 5 pm or later which leave the fields nice and empty during the entire day. The only crazy packed sets I saw this year were M83 and Frank Ocean. I steered clear of the Sahara tent completely. For the most part, the fest did not seem too crowded, but of course as the night goes on more and more people show up. Just how it is.

WKND1, on Friday, felt particularly sparse; lotta people couldn't be bothered to make it out in the cold.

aphrael
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
there are too many people now. and GV of course is too greedy to cut down on attendance numbers despite opening up another weekend. i remember a few years ago you could run to another stage if you wanted to. good luck with that now.

i never had a problem with this, and was able to switch from mainstage (close to the front, on the right) after bon iver to outside stage (middle close to the front, on the left) for miike snow in about 10 minutes.

gaypalmsprings
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Boob of the Year 2011

fixed

seitron
04-24-2012, 05:42 PM

I noticed that they were great the first day and terrible the last day. I wrote it off as the weather, but I think it could have possibly been related to where the water comes from and when it was filled. The first day the bottles were refilled in about 2 seconds flat, and by the end it took closer to 10 seconds to fill each one (less water pressure).

frizzlefry
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM

This, except for the one near Gobi, past two I felt like that station always had a long line and the others were hit and miss. I'm not saying that it was a complete failure, the other two were generally fine, it just doesn't make sense that they would want to scale it back. Heaven forbid people weren't crowding around a single refill station at all times and money wasn't being utilized to its fullest.

Bus McRider
04-25-2012, 05:29 AM
It didn't seemed to be too bad until Sunday. That shit was packed. I felt like I was struggling through an ocean of people, not even just at the stages but trying to get from one part of the fields to another. (After sunset at least.)

Last year was awesome, though.

IzGewd
04-25-2012, 06:00 AM
way more people than last year. The day time acts last year weren't nearly as crowded. Attempted going to breakbot and couldn't even make it in the tent it was so crowded. Last year at that time the sahara was about half full along with every other tent.

frizzlefry
04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Go in from the right of all stages!

CrimesceneCookie
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
WKND1, on Friday, felt particularly sparse; lotta people couldn't be bothered to make it out in the cold.

I was told by a shuttle guy that W1 Friday only had about 60% attendance because of the weather.

ods..
04-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it was definitely noticeable.

sbessiso
04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
That many people? here the hell was everyone? it felt so empty minus a few sets

Lynn163
04-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Probably in the beer gardens. The one next to the main stage was packed with people hiding from the wind before Jimmy Cliff.