PDA

View Full Version : 25 COACHELLA TIPS FOR THE NEWBIE!

Pages : 1 [2]

radiohead727
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
for you coachella vets...are earplugs a must?

elChurro
01-17-2008, 07:46 AM

Not really, just stay out of the crappy mojave sound system tent and you'll be ok.

TonyWonder
01-17-2008, 02:47 PM

I'd say bring them anyway, especially if you are camping. I don't think I could have slept last year without earplugs.

dontfeedthebird
01-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd say bring them anyway, especially if you are camping. I don't think I could have slept last year without earplugs.

But I don't expect there to be any rage riots this time...

algunz
01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Sunday, April 23, 2006

COACHELLA: A SURVIVAL GUIDE

The big Coachella concert outside of Palm Springs, CA is coming up this weekend. I hope that this guide will help peeps have fun.

The reason I am writing this is that there are definite things you can do to make your Coachella experience better.

And we made all the mistakes you can make at Coachella '04 and survived. Barely.

The problem was that we really didn't know what we were getting into. '04 presented the perfect storm of concert evil: hellishly, hellishly hot weather, a sold-out show (for Radiohead and the Pixies), which in this case means about a hundred thousand people, and, because it was our first year, we didn't make meeting plans before people started drifting off.

If you're in a hurry, I think Tip #7 below is the most important I can possibly give you.

THE HEAT

In '04, it was about 103 when we entered the concert sometime after noon. It peaked at 106 later in the afternoon. This is hot. '05 was better, somewhere in the comparatively chilly upper nineties, at least on Saturday, if I recall correctly.

There is a huge difference between outside temperatures of 96 degrees and 106 degrees. That ten-degree span is the difference between pleasure and death. I drank ten, twelve bottles of water when it was 106 outside -- and I didn't pee once. In like ten hours. The desert air just leeches the moisture out of you when it's that hot.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst. The forecast at this point is for a high of 89 on Saturday (with showers?) and 9294 on Sunday, which would be nice. You'll still need to carefully monitor your water consumption, but it won't be as critical. So...

Tip #1: They don't let you bring water into the festival grounds.* So don't bring more than a bottle to drink as you wait in line. You'll end up having to throw it away. Instead, leave a cooler with ice and water in your car. That post-concert water will be very, very tasty later. You'll be parched. You're welcome.

*I'm sure the Goldenvoice people have their reasons for this. And it's fine if it's 90 outside. But if it's over 100, it's deeply, deeply unethical and rather troubling to take water away from people as they come in.

Tip #2: Refill your empty water bottle at water fountains inside the grounds. Buying water over and over is unnecessary and can get spendy.

The desert sun is huge and powerful and could own you if you don't take steps.

Tip #3: Don't forget your hat and sunscreen. The best hat to wear is something that blocks a ton of sun and also breathes.

These straw hats have become absolutely required for Coachella regulars in our group:

If it's a cool year, as seems likely at this point, the desert gets cold at night. It can drop into the fifties. As it is forecasted to do on Saturday night, for example. Last year I remember being quite cold in the last hour or so of the concert. It wasn't fun. Thus:

Tip #4: You may want to bring a lightweight sweatshirt or jacket for the last hour or two of the show. It'll be a gigantic pain to carry around, it's true, but sneaky people might be able to find places to stash stuff if you're not all that worried about someone nabbing it. I'll leave it up to your imagination.

THE GROUNDS AND PARKING

Finding your car in past years was really difficult. There weren't enough identifying markers to tell you where you were -- and those parking lots are very, very large. They were better about marking stuff last year, using giant numbered balloons to indicate the different lots. Still:

Tip #5: Take your time when leaving your car to figure out exactly where you are. You'll be jazzed and probably in a hurry to get in. Don't rush. Make sure everyone in your party knows at least which lot the car is in. Andy took digital pictures of the view from the car in '04; that helped us tremendously. All we had to do was to line up the trees, and voila! If no digital camera is handy, look for landmarky trees to help guide you in the dark. Also, if you have a keyless remote for your car, make liberal use of the "panic" button to help find that sucker.

The Coachella grounds are huge and you end up walking a lot as you make your way from concert to concert. Good shoes are important.

Tip #6: Don't wear sandals or flip-flops. Wear comfy sneakers. With the heat, you'll be tempted to bust out sandals for coolness. While you won't die if you do, I'd advise against it. Walking and standing take their toll on your feet and ankles. Especially if you're old, like me, you'll want some support. I'm planning on styling my old, dependable New Balances for max comfort.

GROUP COMMUNICATION AND MEETUPS

In '04, we lost Eric almost immediately. He wandered off. He had no cellphone. There were 100,000 people spread out over acres and acres of land and he was gone. We made no arrangements to meet at any central point. The next time we saw him was ten hours later at the car. We worried about him. And it sucked.

Tip #7: The very first thing you do when you get to the grounds must be to establish a default group meeting point. We tend to pick something centrally located and impossible to forget -- the chandelier, it was, last year (a big piece of weird art right in the middle of things). It's unlikely that the people you're with will want to see the exact same shows you'll want to see. Before you do anything, before people wander away, pick a spot for people to hang out between shows. Make general plans to meet fifteen minutes before a show that everyone will want to go to: for example, for us, this year, I expect that'll be bands like Animal Collective, the Go! Team, and Wolf Parade, among others (I'm super-psyched for Daft Punk).

Tip #8: Bring your cellphones and your chargers. Oh, '04 was miserable. 100,000 people trying to find their friends fried the local cell towers. You couldn't get a signal to save your life. Phones actually worked in '05, and unless Madonna packs the joint this year, I expect it to be the same way this year. Chargers are necessary because you'll kill your battery sending fifty or sixty texts a day keeping track of people and such. You can also recharge your phone (and check your email!) inside the grounds, if necessary, at the R&R tent. See here for details.

THINGS TO BRING

A handy list to consult. Later items optional.

Tip #9: In order of importance.
Your Coachella ticket.
Cash for food and water (ATMs available on the grounds, though).
Sunscreen and a hat that blocks lots of suns and breathes.
A charged cellphone.
Sunglasses.
Comfy shoes.
Earplugs.
A small backpack or messenger bag to put all of your crap in, including extra water bottles.
A stashable light jacket or sweater.
SPF Chapstick.
Camera.
Appropriate ID if you want to drink.
Ibuprofen.
Extra fun for nice people you meet.
Condoms.

Okay. By popular request:

Tip #10: On Smuggling Stuff In. Expect a cursory check of your bag. Be discreet and you'll be fine. If you have more questions, think about erring on the side of "discreet."

Thanks to psychic girl, papertiger05, and tainTTed for helpful comments and stolen ideas.

GTI_GRL
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
1.) if you want to take a pic of a band. take one and get it over with. No need to keep your camera up for 20 min. (youll see what im talking about)

2.) *this applies to mellow shows- if you are not into it and are spending the whole set talking loudly and texting your friend, just leave. you are distracting those who are trying to watch the show

3.) *for the ladies- bring toilet seat covers! they cost about a buck for 5 and they come in a handy lil case! I also bring towelettes for my hands, not as drying as the liquid sanitizer.

4.) if the heat is concerning you, sacrifice early acts and plan on arriving around 4pm. It will be the hottest time of the day, but it only gets cooler from there. We spend a lil more time at the pool and makes the day less painful

Just grab toilet seat covers at a McD's or something on the way in. Just bring a bag to put them in, and its cheap and easy. Also travel tissues are good for when tp runs out, baby wipes are great too and multipurpose. If you camp leave a bag with some in your ice chest its great to cool off. Baby wipes are great to freshen up and cool off while waiting in the sun/tent.

jonnypark
01-18-2008, 03:12 PM
i managed to sleep through the riots, helicopters and singing with no problem.
It may have had something to do with being tired from dancing and moshing all day, or maybe it was the beer.
I also ended up spending the monday night sleeping on the floor of LAX.

SEEDYMIG420
01-18-2008, 09:11 PM
1. hat
2. sunglasses
3. sunscreen
4. money/ credit cards/ copy of your mortgage....
5. comfortable shoes
6. condoms<~~~~you never know.
7. three extacy pills (one for each day)
8. three 1/8 gm of KUSH or Cronic (Also, one 1/8 gm each day)
9. tissue paper (it gets kind of windy @ night & dust may cause runny nose)
10.YOUR TICKETS!!!

Wheres the beef?
01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
by 5:30, there will be an irritating itch from hell between your legs that nobody ever warns you about. do you really want to spend hundreds on that?

Thats what goldbond powder is for.

boarderwoozel3
01-19-2008, 05:11 PM

You can also take the road I did and smoke yourself into a THC induced slumber.

microlovebeat
01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
i haven't smoked pot in a while now.

i'm aiming to get completely blazed this year.

EDIT: this post in no way contributed to any info regarding tips for newbs. sorry.

luveebunni08
04-15-2008, 09:52 AM
this thread was actually pretty helpful, so i'm bumping back up.

PC-2 Violence
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree. All the basics like water and money and the proper clothing are addressed, along with the not so obvious like remembering where you parked (very important) packing a cooler for after the festival (make friends with beer and water in the parking lot) and sweaty chaffed areas between your legs.

bartelby
04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
pre-planned general meeting spots for you and your friends are a must

fiopadp7791
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
pre-planned general meeting spots for you and your friends are a must

Agreed- If there are any newbies or first-time attendees this year, YOUR CELL PHONES WON'T WORK MUCH DURING THE 'FEST. Think of 50,000 people all trying to use the same cell phone tower- service outages in play

wildtiger
04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Would getting a couple pints of liquor into the campgrounds be difficult?

Are there black market vendors where I could buy a cheap pipe?

How far are the campgrounds from the entrance, and from the entrance to the stages?

I'm sure most people will be in groups of 2 or more, but will I be able to kick it with anyone and party a bit after the bands finish?

johnnypolite
04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm sure this was covered earlier in this thread but I would suggest bringing a battery operated fan if you are camping. We had one last year and it was terrific. Made the tent a little bit more tolerable in the morning.

Trudeau
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
21. Stay clear of the beer gardens, they are well away from the stages and over-priced, and boring, you will be missing out on fun.

Bullshit!

I had some of my greatest times last year in the beer garden, and that's where I met the most people. It's a lot of fun. I guess they suck if you're poor, though.

But then, a lot of things probably suck if you're poor.

cansei de ser sexme
04-15-2008, 08:06 PM
buy t-shirts big and savor their greatness. i am to Fat for mine two years ago cause i thought i would buy a shirt that barely fit

fbslimrocks
04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
yea i will be in the beer garden at times, recharging my body with fuel

wildtiger
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Would getting a couple pints of liquor into the campgrounds be difficult?

Are there black market vendors where I could buy a cheap pipe?

How far are the campgrounds from the entrance, and from the entrance to the stages?

I'm sure most people will be in groups of 2 or more, but will I be able to kick it with anyone and party a bit after the bands finish?

mmm?

bobert
04-16-2008, 03:02 PM
8. three 1/8 gm of KUSH or Cronic (Also, one 1/8 gm each day)

I think you mean 1/8th of an ounce. 1/8 of a gram is pretty much one bowl, which ain't gonna last, even if it is "CHRONIC"

bottomfeeder
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
This will be my 7th Coachella and it never fails, if "carpoolchella"-ing in, that one or more of us will not be able to find the car at the end of the night. Last year me and a buddy had to walk 1.5 miles each way (after being on our feet for 12+hrs) in order to find another, who ended up being about as far lost as he could possibly be. This was after we all had supposedly memorized where the car was parked upon arrival. It was Friday night and it KILLED my feet, when we were just getting started. It SUCKED!

One problem is that everything looks completely different going from day to night, with the parking lot going from half-empty to completely full. Often there aren't many stationary landmarks to use. There are big balloons with numbers to help, but they aren't always reliable to stay put and will only get you in the ballpark. Another problem is that when you arrive all you are thinking about is getting inside and then, after an ass-full of sun and various mind-altering experiences, everything discussed prior goes out the window by the time the show is over and the ugly lights come on.

This year I'm making everyone take pictures of the car and surrounding landmarks with their digital cams, to save for later. I also like the idea of tying a mylar balloon to the car, although I worry some asswipe will snag it as a prank. Anyway it's a shitty way to end an otherwise fun day, so take heed!

apachedino
04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Thats why you camp

bottomfeeder
04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Thats why you camp

Good point, but we're not camping this year either. I likes my hotel room, comfy bed, spa, pool-side bar and Lakers playoff game between shows.

Camping sounds like a pretty cool experience too, I'm not knocking it. I just like my creature comforts and lots of em.

apachedino
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah AC and a pool would be nice......WAIT great idea, GV should bring in a pool and we can have a pool party before going to the show.

But really camping is not only hassle free in many aspects, but the experience is amazing.

amyzzz
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
the lack of sleep was really amazing, yeah.

fatbastard
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Buy your cigarettes for the 4-5 days in advance. They don't sell them on site and closest market is 1/2 a mile away.

Abe Lincoln
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
They actually give you 2 free packs of American Spirits every day in the fest.

ivankay
01-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Buy your cigarettes for the 4-5 days in advance. They don't sell them on site and closest market is 1/2 a mile away.

This is a picture from Day 2, 2008. There are cigarettes on the front counter.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3518/3208338955_5d87cfd7f7.jpg

underthegun
01-21-2009, 09:10 AM
i would say go barefoot, in all honesty.
unless you're in the flogging molly moshpit.. biggest mistake of my life.
but going barefoot is nice because you dont have to worry about blisters or anything. and you very rarely step on anything horrible.
but bring flip flops for the port-o-potties.

and i cannot stress how important water is.
seriously.
even if you think you've had enough... you havent.

locachica73
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM

Cigerettes, Rice Krispy Treats and half naked dudes. I don't remember any of that when I went to buy some advil from there.

karecares
01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
CAMPERS:LIGHT SLEEPERS

Ear plugs and whatever aide helps you get to sleep..... it WILL be noisier than you are probably accustomed to and if it is before 2am (noise curfew) it is likely that your request to shut up will NOT be honored

davidbarr
01-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Finding your car issues? Cell phone with GPS? mark the location and voila!

bingo_caller
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm down with that!!!
I'm planning on wearing a sequin fanny pack , hopefully I can find one that says "I <3 Bingo" or "Las Vegas". cool!

2. if you want to buy a shirt/bring a heavy jacket/whatever, but dont want to carry it around, my friends and i came up with a solution last year. just drop the offending item off at lost & found and pick it up later in the night. its a little bit risky, but its SO nice not to have to lug unnecessary stuff around all day!

that's brilliant intuition! an far easier than securing and maintaining a relationship to ensure the girlfriend carrying your stuff allday!

bingo_caller
01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
As some one said theres like 4 different huts (located in the beer gardens i think) giving 2 packs of american spirit cigs per person = more free cigs than you need a day.
Also the huts have air conditioning and cool sofa areas to chill out in. I actually remember being cold.

OutOfmYminD
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Some of my friends religiously black out at coachella every year and not only do they live but they return to do the same thing the next year.

Oh and the number one most important fucking rule that everyone forgets in the excitement:

Charge your damn cell phone the night before and then again every night you are there!

Brandwagon6
01-31-2009, 01:00 PM
sorry the beer gardens is a must. its part of my scheduling! :)- long sleeve huh? ive never been out there so its a good idea huh?

It's so much better to somehow score a vip bracelet and hit that section...you have a pretty good view of the main stage and the lines for everything can be better and they serve cocktails...not just beer. And some comfy couches in the shade. And yeah a long sleeve shirt comes in handy some nights...it can get semi chilly

gmoneyak
01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
The only thing I added last year to my supplies, from the year before, were:

http://www.minimus.biz/images/J01-0127901-1000bg.jpg

Fucking godsend..

Add these to a dry towel, gum, extra T-shirt, a lighter, water, a hat, sunblock and some party favors and you'll be all set.

I also like to stash a cooler full of ice and libations in my car. After the long trek back to Lot 5 at the end of the day, it does a body good..

Raptor Clinton
01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I took the oft-imparted advice and bought me a pair o' Underarmor. Fucking amazing.

One possibly stupid/obvious piece of advice I could give is to pack all the soft things (like shirts, towels and what have you) around the sides of the inside of your backpack, because there's a good chance you have a couple hours one at least one of the days to take a much-needed rest when there are no bands playing you are interested in, and the backpack makes for a pretty sweet pillow.

oasis4life2002
01-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Go to the cool off stations as much as possible also during the day.

WALRUS
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
only a person with alot of money to waste is in the beer garden all day. with the little money i have to waste, it would be nice to do so in the not so melting and miserable heat. just dont go.

and more shade, please.

If you have little money to waste, dont go, be intelligent, coachella this year (with us recession) is for rich people

zajaa
03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
dont go. its expensive and hot.

HA perfect.

if i had a sig, this would be it.

MantisMel
03-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Take candy from strangers!

heyeric
03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
No sex in the Sahara.

zajaa
03-11-2009, 12:39 PM
C DUB YAS TIPS

9. leave the alcohol till afterwards, the sun will kill you

21. Stay clear of the beer gardens, they are well away from the stages and over-priced, and boring, you will be missing out on fun.

oh lord no.

the beer nullifies some of the discomfort from the heat. takes the edge off, if you will. too much beer would clearly exacerbate one's dehydration, so have some water too. but beer at coachella is indispensable.

biffbangpow
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Last year was my first year and I had the greatest time, here are some tips that worked for me:

Hat: is indispensable, not only for shade but if you wet your hat occasionally (in the ice water containers they keep the bottled water in) it will keep you cool longer.

Gaterade: Better than water 'cause the sodium retains water, so keeping you hydrated more than water, and the bit of sugar is a welcome boost. Also you piss less often when drinking Gaterade. (You'll appriciate it if your real close to the stage and don't want to loose your place). I recommend 3-5 bottles a day.

No alcohol or cafeine: both of these dehydrate you and it shows after a day in the heat.

Shoes: Running shoes, sports shoes or whatever soft with laces for support. And cotton socks (I bring spare) that way you don't get blisters and your feet > legs > you won't get tired of standing so much. Gold bond foot powder is great too. Kept my feet cool and dry last year. Not bad in the crotch area as well. Helps prevent shaffing (rashes).

Shade eat your supper and rest in the shade whenever you can, even if it's for 15-30 min. It's also a great place to meet/talk to people.

CitizenJ
03-11-2009, 02:22 PM
C DUB YAS TIPS

13. don't "push your way" up front. If there is an artist you want to see, get to that stage while the artist before is still on and wait it out, you just may see something else you like too.

Ah, only if this was a real tip to everyone. fact is every douche bag and drunk chick will force their way to the front while giggling like idiots and getting upset if you don't move for them.

Wheres the beef?
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM

I disagree. The Beer tent next to the Sahara is perfect and you an hear the Sahara just fine.

leo01g
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM

8 or 9 dollars though!

flowbee
03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think I'm bringing my backpack this year. It's useful but when you're in a packed tent it's no fun getting bumped into or bumping into others with your backpack on. Plus the sweat marks.

sportsbunny
03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't think I'm bringing my backpack this year. It's useful but when you're in a packed tent it's no fun getting bumped into or bumping into others with your backpack on. Plus the sweat marks.

Where will you put your wetnaps, sunscreen, deodorant, gum, phone, etc?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-11-2009, 09:47 PM
i liked having my backpack

when i was in a packed crowd in the sahara, i wan't moving around a ton anyway, so it wasn't a big problem to find a spot at my feet to stow it

dan13l
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I avoid it each year. Don't eat Indian food for lunch. You will thank me for that.

dan13l
03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Last year was my first year and I had the greatest time, here are some tips that worked for me:

Hat: is indispensable, not only for shade but if you wet your hat occasionally (in the ice water containers they keep the bottled water in) it will keep you cool longer.

Gaterade: Better than water 'cause the sodium retains water, so keeping you hydrated more than water, and the bit of sugar is a welcome boost. Also you piss less often when drinking Gaterade. (You'll appriciate it if your real close to the stage and don't want to loose your place). I recommend 3-5 bottles a day.

No alcohol or cafeine: both of these dehydrate you and it shows after a day in the heat.

Shoes: Running shoes, sports shoes or whatever soft with laces for support. And cotton socks (I bring spare) that way you don't get blisters and your feet > legs > you won't get tired of standing so much. Gold bond foot powder is great too. Kept my feet cool and dry last year. Not bad in the crotch area as well. Helps prevent shaffing (rashes).

Shade eat your supper and rest in the shade whenever you can, even if it's for 15-30 min. It's also a great place to meet/talk to people.

I totally agree with Gatorade. I have to go every hour on the hour if i drink water.

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I am honestly considering bringing a fannypack this year. Not as bulky as a backpack, but still could hold my stuff.

I hate that doing this would probably label me as "hipster" though

flowbee
03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Where will you put your wetnaps, sunscreen, deodorant, gum, phone, etc?

Cargo shorts and maybe what indietron said

I am honestly considering bringing a fannypack this year. Not as bulky as a backpack, but still could hold my stuff.

I need to be able to slide through crowds like butter.

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I need to be able to slide through crowds like butter.

Hmm now that I think about it the fannypack would probably be even more of a hindrance... Depending on the backpack or fannypack one may work better than another

gmoneyak
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM

You could pick up a cool "fannypack-type" bag at stores like REI that sell hiking gear. The one I picked up about 2 years ago was one of the best purchases that I've made. I wear it across my chest most of the day like a sling pack and it never feels cumbersome.

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh and to whoever said Gatorade was right on. I usually drink one gatorade for every water. That way I don't get too much sugar in me.

Also, i think this year Im gonna prep myself physically like I would before a cross country meet or swim meet... Eat a carb-based dinner on thursday night to load up on energy. Pasta and bread. Carbs stay in your system for like 3 days too, so it would work perfectly

tomphan1
03-11-2009, 10:12 PM
If you have enough resources: what about renting a locker?

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
You could pick up a cool "fannypack-type" bag at stores like REI that sell hiking gear. The one I picked up about 2 years ago was one of the best purchases that I've made. I wear it across my chest most of the day like a sling pack and it never feels cumbersome.

Wearing it around the chest is a great idea. Mine is made by Nike though and has splatterpaint on it, making it all the more "hipster." I dont really care at this point though, its not like ill be wearing neon glasses, ed banger shirts and tight pants.

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
If you have enough resources: what about renting a locker?

I dont like the idea of having to go back and forth to a locker. Im usually pretty busy all day long. I barely get enough time to grab some food, much less go to the other side of the venue.

flowbee
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I've thought about lockers but it's a good chunk of money that I could be spending on Coachella merchandise or beer. Plus I'm paranoid and prefer to have my belongings on person at all times.

Wheres the beef?
03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh and to whoever said Gatorade was right on. I usually drink one gatorade for every water. That way I don't get too much sugar in me.

Also, i think this year Im gonna prep myself physically like I would before a cross country meet or swim meet... Eat a carb-based dinner on thursday night to load up on energy. Pasta and bread. Carbs stay in your system for like 3 days too, so it would work perfectly

Doesn't that seem a little excessive? All you're doing is standing, walking, sitting, and dancing. You're not running a triathalon.

I hardly even eat during coachella. Maybe like a slice of pizza per day.

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Really?? Im only 18, and every night when i get back i just collapse and sleep till the next day, then do it all again :)

gmoneyak
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
That's what the drugs are for, indie..

That being said, I do get myself in better shape before Coachella-time.

indietron
03-11-2009, 10:22 PM
No drugs for me, sorry

eskamo951
03-11-2009, 10:55 PM
18 and you collapse?! Wow...I'm not a very physical person, and I party for a couple hours afterward...then wake up once the sun hits me.

lickety_spit
03-12-2009, 04:12 AM
if you bring a water bottle koozie, you can put your beer into an empty water bottle at night and take it out of the beer garden.

sweaters tie nicely around your waist. none of this "lugging" people are on about...

don't keep your computer printout tickets in your back pocket. don't pour a bottle of water on your head while you're holding your ticket, either.

battery. powered. personal. fan.

locachica73
03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I bought this cool little hemp pouch last year for coachella. I has a very long strap and fit all the necessities perfectly, i.e. ID, phone, potty packs, cigerettes/weed, etc. It went over my shoulder and wasn't a bother when it came to dancing and didn't look as gay as a fanny pack.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
i'm surprised at all the people who say no alcohol

Do you people really get that drained and dehydrated by having a beer or three? Or are all these comments coming from people who live in places where it's snowing when Coachella comes around? Living in Los Angeles, hanging out in 100-degree watehr doesn't really hit me very hard at all

locachica73
03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Totally agreed, I live in Phoenix, if I didn't drink when it was hot outside I would never drink. I agree, don't over do it during the day, drunk/hungover in the afternoon sun is never a good thing but as long as you hydrate in between there is nothing wrong with enjoying a beer or three.

sandinista
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I have some newbie questions (sorry if they have been asked&answered before)

- I really don't get the whole no In/Out thing. So, when you leave the camping, you can't
go back to the camping ? For how long?

- How far is the camping from the festival place ?

- How much do T-shirts (from bands) normally cost at Coachella ?

- Won't it be less hot than other years because of the earlier date ?
I know it's kinda stupid a month ahead, but I looked up the weather forecast for
Coachella on 17/18/19 april and it said averages Hi 89 Lo 59 ...

locachica73
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
You can go back to camping at any point you want, you just can't come back into the festival again, unless you have another ticket.

Camping is right next to the festival.

I didn't purchase any shirts last year so I don't know but I think I remember reading they are in the $20 range.

Last year wasn't that hot, mid 90's I think, and being from the desert that is perfect weather. I would guess it might be a bit cooler being 2 weeks earlier though.

thedrun
03-12-2009, 10:42 AM
The beer thing.

Last year, my friends and I decided to go for a beer on Friday at around 1pm. After one beer, we were all completely smashed. I would consider us professional drinkers too! The drunk only lasted for about half an hour, but then he instant hangover kicked in. The heat just kills your body's ability to process the alcohol.
Save it for the evening. Sunday night, I was able to have 6 or 7 beers and was fine.

zajaa
03-12-2009, 10:45 AM

- I really don't get the whole no In/Out thing. So, when you leave the camping, you can't

I know it's kinda stupid a month ahead, but I looked up the weather forecast for

you can go in and out of the campgrounds to your little heart's content, on account of a real pretty metallic-stamped camping wristband. keep it as a souvenir, or a keepsake if you hate the french.

the campgrounds border the festival grounds. think of it like the usa/mexico border, except with more drug traffic.

t-shirts (from bands) are around 15-20 if memory serves. t-shirts (from stewie on acid) will cost you exactly one grilled cheese sandwich.

coachella valley does not experience the sissy seasons of spring and fall, but instead it shifts suddenly from winter to summer. since gv pushed the festival back two weeks, it will officially still be winter in indio, meaning you will need to bring a ski parka, mittens and long johns. no one will be admitted without long johns.

sandinista
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
now, than what does the In / Out rule mean ?

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
The beer thing.

Last year, my friends and I decided to go for a beer on Friday at around 1pm. After one beer, we were all completely smashed. I would consider us professional drinkers too! The drunk only lasted for about half an hour, but then he instant hangover kicked in. The heat just kills your body's ability to process the alcohol.
Save it for the evening. Sunday night, I was able to have 6 or 7 beers and was fine.

weird, i don't get that at all

I drink in the blazing heat at barbeques and stuff all the time, maybe i'm just used to it. First thing we did last year was head to the beer garden and i put down 2 beers before we went to our first set. I felt great!

locachica73
03-12-2009, 11:43 AM
apparently we are just professional boozers!

Alligator Bogaloo
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
now, than what does the In / Out rule mean ?

It means that you can't get back in once you leave whether you are camping or not. If you are camping you can go in and out of the campsite whenever you want. Once you go into you the actual festival you stay until you are ready to leave for the day. Some festivals let you come and go as you please, this isn't one of them.

lickety_spit
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I bought this cool little hemp pouch last year for coachella. I has a very long strap and fit all the necessities perfectly, i.e. ID, phone, potty packs, cigerettes/weed, etc. It went over my shoulder and wasn't a bother when it came to dancing and didn't look as gay as a fanny pack.

i guess i'm going to be a total lesbian at coachella this year. i don't want to carry a purse/bag, but there are a few more things i consider necessary. i wear it across my chest sometimes, though, when i feel it's making me look pregnant (when it sticks out further than my boobs).

locachica73
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Actually this thing was fairly good sized, a potty pack includes a decent sized travel supply of cottonelle ass/hand wipes, a bottle of hand sanitizer, lotion, a pack of the toilet seat protectors, tissues as well as a camera and a full pack of switcher sweets (or at least that is what we passed them off as). I have carried a fanny pack at Disneyland and actually got more in this then I did the fannypack. Although I did end up with a slight bruise on my hip from where it kept bouncing while dancing. lol

lickety_spit
03-12-2009, 02:28 PM
damn, it sounds like one of those buxton expandable purses. "she can find stuff with a blindfold on!" duh, she just put that shit in there. haha.
my fanny pack is an NKOTB one that my friend bought for me from the Hospice thrift store. it looks like it was never used. there was other NKOTB stuff, too, so it makes me think some poor couple's daughter died in 1990, and they're just now getting rid of her stuff.

Jef-free
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Dag, yo. That's depressin.

chairmenmeow47
03-12-2009, 02:45 PM
desperation is also trolling the picture thread for guys you can bang instead of your husband, just sayin' :p

Jef-free
03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Desperate, maybe. Depressing, never.

locachica73
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
actually it depresses me a little, but then again that would be why im divorced, so i can troll the picture thread without guilt.

sithlord
03-12-2009, 03:13 PM
MBV = earplugs

amyzzz
03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Anyone can troll the picture thread without guilt. It's not cheating to look.

Jef-free
03-12-2009, 03:25 PM
For the record, I'm not planning on sexing anybody up at Coachella, except my husband every night per usual, and maybe Chairman Meow, just because she's such a snarky little thing, oh and Marook just offered to let me give him oral over in the PYP thread.

Damn, I'm tired already.

locachica73
03-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Anyone can troll the picture thread without guilt. It's not cheating to look.

LOL I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, the perfect relationship involves trolling together (kinda)... Nothing wrong with being out with your SO and noticing all the beautiful people around you.

Jef-free
03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Nothing wrong with being out with your SO and noticing all the beautiful people around you.

This is especially true when you're both attracted to the same thing.

Yay, gay!

chairmenmeow47
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
be careful, i snark all over fucking faces.

Jef-free
03-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I like your chutzpah.

slightlystoopid311
03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry - reading all this just makes me happy that I live in Arizona. I work outside so for being at Coachella - that's nothing. I know I am the envy when I sit the the grass in the sun and start talking to people, and they notice, "your not really sweating, where do you live?" Then I rub it in!! They day it was 100 at coachella, I had left 116. Belive me at 116 you can tell its cooler at 100.

blah blah blah

I was born in Arizona and lived there my whole..... Moved to San Diego about a year ago.... Yeah, no where in California really compares to the instant misery you experience when you're in Arizona's desert, except maybe death valley...... good thing SD has perfect weather 350 days a year.

slightlystoopid311
03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Please you shoud keep away drugs, last year I saw a pair of pals close to me that spent bad experience with the cops, also I enjoyed view all the girls who were wearing their swim suits and bikinis (tongs as well) ;D

I just think you're little pussy. CALIFORNIAAAA knows how to party, so you can bet your bottom dollar we will be packing that CALI WEED!!

slightlystoopid311
03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
26. Smoke pot as close to the center of large crowds as possible and not in open spaces, this way the cops won't be able to get to you and you might even make a friend; provided they are pot heads and you are ok with sharing.

You can smoke out in the open pretty much at any concert in California that's outdoors, it's just a slap on the wrist ticket, and everyone is doing it so no one really pays any attention to you including the cops..... UNLESS, they want some too!

slightlystoopid311
03-13-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah, it will be a little cooler since it's earlier in April....

fatbastard
03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Tip.

This is a festival that people put alot of heart into.

You may not have heard of most of the groups playing, but you will have the time of your life once you do. The festival provides you with a MySpace and a YouTube link of each artist. Take the time to hear and watch each one, then make a list of what you like and what you don't before attending the festival.

This festival is like school. If you complete all your assignments, then you will be greatly rewarded. If you show up unprepared, then you have no one else to blame but yourself for missing highlights of the festival.

MantisMel
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
You can smoke out in the open pretty much at any concert in California that's outdoors, it's just a slap on the wrist ticket, and everyone is doing it so no one really pays any attention to you including the cops..... UNLESS, they want some too!

WRONG! A few years back I was in a tent smoking and a cop busted me in mid puff. Needless to say weed wasnt all that I was packing that day. I did what any reasonable adult would do.... I RAN! Got lost in the crowd and the cop was none the wiser. Just take it from experience don't get too comfy and just be discreet about whatever it is you are doing. Have a good time and smoking in a large crowd does minimize the risk of getting caught. The further in you are the less likely you are to get busted. :thu

Pancho confucious
03-23-2009, 07:52 PM
not only do you need money for water, its good to have money for the lemon icee things. those are $5 each. also your not going to get much sleep so dont count on it. drink lots of coffee in the morning and make sure to eat before you get in, your only going to have time to eat once. if you find me, good luck i make breakfast at my buddies house in the cove. its about 1 mile from the polo field

Parasailah
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Is it cool to just get bent over and screwed during a set? THat would be frickin sweet

RickeyinLA
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm just gonna keep all my stuff in my parka, it being winter and all.

My parka has many pockets.

TheGuvna
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
bump... this is a good one for the n00bs

DigitalSofia
04-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi, this is my first year at Coachella, but i am only going for one day (Saturday), and i was just wondering if there was any LEGIT way to bring in alcohol, and if theres any recommended containter to place it in?

fatbastard
04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Your stomach.

morelifefucker
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Your stomach.

Good answer.......

Adelita
04-11-2009, 03:08 AM
best tip is the less you bring the better.
purses and bags are a bitch

money, phone, id and you're good to go
i'm adding hand sanitizer to my list of few things i bring

Adelita
04-11-2009, 03:09 AM
thats just fucking rude

ahahha don't take shit to heart
easy there buddy

fauxazn
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
So, I've read the n00b threads and the FAQ re: water. Are we not allowed to bring in EMPTY bottles? I went to Bonnaroo a couple years ago and I carried around an insert to a camelbak (just the plastic bag with a hose). It was GREAT - I just kept it in a sling backpack with the hose running along the strap for instant hydration.

I wanted to bring it along, take it in empty and then fill it at the fountains. Is it a no-go for coachella? I saw the rule on the site about the camelbacks, but wasn't sure if that meant the actual back pack made for the bags or the entire thing...sorry if this is a stupid post.

Just wanted to check before I spend an hour digging for it in my closet.

Thanks!

mikeynla
04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
There is a bunch of info on the Coachella page about the new water policy - bring in your own EMPTY bottle and you can either fill it free at one of 3 fountains (I've only ever seen one, with a HUGE line), or pay $1 to get it filled with cold filtered water. Bottle can be up to 32 oz. You can also pay $10 inside the festival to get a 24 oz (I think) plastic Coachella water bottle that you can get filled with cold filtered water free for the entirety of the festival. There's also a $25 metal water bottle. It's larger, probably keeps the water colder longer, but it's $25. :)

poematik14
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
drinking in the shade is such a luxury at this thing. every single square inch of shade is worth thousands. especially when youre drinking. its just not there enough. the $8.00 goes toward crankiness only. either dont drink or dont go.

pretty expensive misery.

just drink when it gets dark, yeah?

EastLos01
01-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Is there anywhere to park that isn't a mile and a half away? If so what time should I arrive to avoid having to walk that far at the end of the day. When I went in 07 parking was smooth and not too far. Then this past year when I tried looking for the same parking lot, I had no luck. We are planning to stay in La Quinta so we'll be fairly close.

Those are some great tips that I wish I had before storming the fest my first time. There is also a Walgreens on Washington and 52nd I beleive, that has a great selection of must haves (hats, water, sunscreen, ice if you brought a cooler, condoms).
As for the sun screen, I highly recommend getting a spray on sports sun block 35 spf. It's cooling and you don't feel slimy while you have to apply it thru out the day. Ear plugs come in really handy, especially if you're bringing kids.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/Peltor-Kid-Earmuffs.html

unknown
01-06-2010, 04:01 AM
I guess you would want to go for the closer lots -probably lot 3. It may be hard to plan before we get a new parking map. With the additions of car camping and RV camping there are bound to be changes. In past years I've always preferred parking in lots 4 or 5. The walk doesn't bother me when the other option is to be stuck in traffic for an hour. This year I'm riding a bike since we'll be staying so close.

EastLos01
01-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Oh ok, thanks for that, I totally forgot to ask that question... are there bike racks close to the entrance? I don't mind the walk to the grounds, but I sure as hell hate the walk back from the grounds.

unknown
01-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I don't remember actual bike racks. Most of the bikes were chained to the fence near the entrance from what I recall.

fatbastard
01-06-2010, 06:30 AM
:(

Caitlin
John Peel is My Co-pilot
SojuGorae

MarkO
01-06-2010, 08:30 AM
:(

Caitlin

SojuGorae

Whatever happened to John Peel is My Co-pilot ?

He was a good guy.

algunz
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
They got tired of us. :nono

MarkO
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I can understand that. Pretty weak SNR here at times.

fergie
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
If you're camping bring lots of paper towels to use as toliet covers/toliet paper. Handiwipes a must. sunblock, babypowder, sunglasses, chapstick. body lotion. Flipflops, light clothing, hat, personal misting fan, unbrella for shade. Have fun and drink lots and lots and lots of water.

locachica73
01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Wear a hat/bandana and whenever you feel too warm get a beer or water and ask if you can dump your hat in the tub of ice water then throw it on your head. It is the best feeling in the world and keeps you cool for a good 45 minutes.

MagicalWebkinz
01-19-2010, 07:17 PM
BRING GLOW STICKS IN CASE YOU HAVE TO USE THE OUTHOUSE IN THE DARK - TRUST ME THEY COME IN HANDY - IT'S REALLY NASTY IN THERE AND WORSE WHEN YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT! HAHAHA LITERALLY:rotfl

littlewolf
01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Woohoo n00b! (That's me)
I am so excited, and thanks for all the great tips.

fatbastard
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Have you ever attended Coachella?

lexineffect
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
BRING GLOW STICKS IN CASE YOU HAVE TO USE THE OUTHOUSE IN THE DARK - TRUST ME THEY COME IN HANDY - IT'S REALLY NASTY IN THERE AND WORSE WHEN YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT! HAHAHA LITERALLY:rotfl

Yeah they work much better than a torch.

Ambookilluh
01-20-2010, 01:44 AM
I give the same advice every year...
Water is $2 a bottle.
Drink about 5+ bottles of water a day.
That's about $10+ a day for water.
BUDGET for it!
Don't come on the message boards Monday after the festival complaining about how hot it was and water was soooo expensive.

Hey man... Two dollar water is way cheaper than $4 or $5 dollar water raves and massives.

littlewolf
01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Have you ever attended Coachella?

Was that question for me? I haven't been before, this will be my first year.

fatbastard
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Was that question for me? I haven't been before, this will be my first year.

It was meant for you. Hope you have a good time this year.

littlewolf
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks, I'm super excited.

brfilora
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I noticed a question earlier about CamelBaks.

Anyone on here ever succesfully bring a CamelBak into Coachella?

Is it possible to bring it in filled with Ice Water?

If not, atleast bring it in empty and have the reservoir filled inside?

Ravingmad
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM

They aren't allowed and everyone I know who has tried has had to take them back to their car. I'm sure a few people here and there have gotten lucky, but they don't allow it.

A few additional tips for others:

- If you think you may want a locker, reserve one EARLY. Lockers do sell out every year, often before the festival starts. Lockers are relatively cheap ($49/$63/$78 with you getting $20 of that back at the end), and are a good place to store merch/warmer clothes/etc if you like to travel light.

- I like a pair of good earplugs designed for this sort of thing. These are fantastic - http://www.jr.com/etymotic-research/pe/ETY_ER20BP/ - they save your ears without muffling the music, they are compact, easy to insert, come in a nice little carrying case, and are only 10 bucks. I keep them in my pocket at all times, for when I want to be way up by the speakers.

captncrzy
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah they work much better than a torch.

Or your phone

locachica73
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Or your phone

But then you risk dropping your phone in something horribly nasty.

captncrzy
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
No, yeah. That's what I meant.

Mr. Dylanja
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't remember actual bike racks. Most of the bikes were chained to the fence near the entrance from what I recall.

Are you gonna cruise?

locachica73
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
No, yeah. That's what I meant.

lol, ok, sometimes my follow along doesn't work.

captncrzy
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm renting bikes. I'm renting Rick a vato three-wheeler.

LyricsForTheMind
01-20-2010, 09:40 PM
New to Coachella...read the FAQ's but still have a few

Wasnt exactly sure if you could bring in food or not?

What is the camping area like after the festival is done for the night?

How easy is it to bring in "extracaricular" material in and if so any suggestions?

How cold does it get later on in the night, would I still be in good in shorts and a light sweatshirt?

Are there any things that people dont usually mention that you wish you would have brought with you to coachella (into the festival or just in your car for camping)?

Thanks guys I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer some questions for me!

Californicator
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
No food, although I do bring my own mushrooms and herbs every year.

Camping area kinda looks like 28 days later...

I don't think it gets all that cold at night, although I'm only talking about the actual festival because I don't camp.

A good thing to bring is a flashlight/headlamp. Found this very useful all three days.

LucRuts
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Couple questions:

1. is the fucking thing true? i wouldn't mind getting fucked.

2's. im considering getting a shitty job at a grocery store just to buy t-shirts. if i hitch a ride with my also very cute friend, will we find somewhere to sleep at night with no moneys? as in, how likely is it to sneak into camping and someone let us sleep there? or floor in a hotel room? are there free showers in camping?

3. would it be a good idea to bring an umbrella or will it get cumbersome?

LucRuts
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
oh and thanks for awesome helpfulness list :)

Californicator
01-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Haha, sneak into someone's hotel room? Do you mean someone you know or some complete stranger? As for the camping questions just read the faq.

And its funny how people are worrying about rain just because its raining like a mothereffer right now. The festival is not til April.

fatbastard
01-21-2010, 07:39 PM
oh and thanks for awesome helpfulness list :)

You should be filling sand bags right now.

karma_guy
01-21-2010, 08:14 PM

i rocked my camelbak every day last year no probs
you're just no supposed to have the water pouch thing in it
though they didn't ever really check mine...

seanyb
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
do security pat you down when you enter the festival?

brfilora
01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
i rocked my camelbak every day last year no probs
you're just no supposed to have the water pouch thing in it
though they didn't ever really check mine...

Nice...good to hear that. I would be absolutely lost at a festival w/o my CamelBak.

You were able to bring it in full of liquid?

accie
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
OK I fear that from what I have read the answer to this is no, BUT. If I bring an empty water bottle into the arena a) will I be allowed and more importantly b) are there places I can fill it up?

If not thats criminal, literally, in the UK that shit is illegal.

ruskinator
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Hey gang.

My buddy and I will be making our virgin trek to Coachella this year, and I have a couple questions I'm hoping people can answer:

1. Since we'll be camping, do people just leave their tents and stuff for the day and trust no one will pilfer or otherwise tamper with anything? I'm trusting, but still.

2. Are all the non-tent stages in direct sun, or are there some shady parts?

3. When the last show of a given night ends, what do people do? Kick it in the camping area? Is there late-night stuff going on?

4. On the food front, is everything really pricey? Do people bring stuff to eat with them when they arrive to camp/into the festival or just buy it all weekend?

5. How long does it take to get between stages?

I'm sorry if any of the above were already answered, but since some answers are for previous years, I thought I'd just get the clearest picture possible. Thanks so much!

Col RH2010
01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
3. PARTY!!!!!!!!! ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!

locachica73
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I camped last year and left my stuff (clothes, other day passes, food, drinks) all in my tent or by it and never had an issue. But others have so it is just best to play it safe. Hide valueable shit... etc.

I never had any trouble finding shade, if nothing else there is always plenty of shade in the beer tents between the stages. That is if your 21.

The food is not cheap so I packed snacks and just ended up having a slice of pizza a day as my "meal".

And yes, people party in the campground all night.

Have a great time. This is my 3rd year but I look back at my 1st with a smile because it was just so new and fun.

ruskinator
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the tips!

lrbijl
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
me and my three norwegian buddies are first timing coachella this year! (we have good experience from festivals in europe though)

does anyone know what happens if we get caught drinking inside the festival/camp area?
should we bring air mattresses for the tent? (We have the ready 2 go package)

Other than that; thanks for the water/anti-chaffing/sunblock/hat advices!

Looking forward to a great time!

Changoloco
01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
by 5:30, there will be an irritating itch from hell between your legs that nobody ever warns you about. do you really want to spend hundreds on that?

This is seriously a good idea. It seems silly but, I use it at Burning Man and Coachella, it works wonders. http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Raptor Clinton
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM

You will not regret it.

desires4u2
01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Foldable hats. At night, just fold it away and put it in your backpack, pockets, purse, etc.
http://www.ifactoryoutlet.com/catalog/foldable-sun-hats

dystopian dream giiiiiirl
01-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Sorry - reading all this just makes me happy that I live in Arizona. I work outside so for being at Coachella - that's nothing. I know I am the envy when I sit the the grass in the sun and start talking to people, and they notice, "your not really sweating, where do you live?" Then I rub it in!! They day it was 100 at coachella, I had left 116. Belive me at 116 you can tell its cooler at 100.

blah blah blah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yes yes yes. and uuuuuuum. yes. bitches! lol plus, we'll all be chillin in the heat the whole day. unlike the zona, where you will come out of any building and have the equivalent of a blast furnace hit you in the face... ugh. i'm not particularly heat tolerant, but you're right dude- indio desert should be a walk in the park!

chunk- go f*ck a goat.

dystopian dream giiiiiirl
01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
me and my three norwegian buddies are first timing coachella this year! (we have good experience from festivals in europe though)

does anyone know what happens if we get caught drinking inside the festival/camp area?

Other than that; thanks for the water/anti-chaffing/sunblock/hat advices!

Looking forward to a great time!

anything from confiscation of said substances to being kicked out, i would imagine. air mattresses rock- so much better than sleeping bags, though with the temp change, they may deflate a tad during the days. another VERY important tip- ALL FOREIGNERS: FIND MY CAR ;)

brfilora
01-26-2010, 07:40 AM
This is seriously a good idea. It seems silly but, I use it at Burning Man and Coachella, it works wonders. http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

I've had problems with the upper leg chaffing at other fests as well. What I've found worked WONDERS was just wearing compression shorts as your underwear every day. They help keep you cool as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Heatgear-Compression-Short/dp/B001TW2NVC

under armour is obv the top end, most expensive stuff. You can find cheaper compression shorts at any sporting goods store.

bluemamba
02-13-2010, 08:31 PM
If you're a little paranoid about leaving valuables in your tent, REI and other stores sell tent locks for like 8 bucks a piece. Last year I bought 2 for my tent and it did give me a little peace of mind knowing there was some kind of layer of security there.

You guys think a little lock on your tent is gonna keep someone on a mission out of your valuables??

Do not take anything you'll miss if it gets stolen.

insbordnat
02-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Aquaphor (by Eucerin) is great anti-chafe shit for your legs. Prevention is best, you'll be miserable if you are trying to walk around otherwise. Compression shorts work too, but I don't like feeling all restricted. I opt for my boxer briefs only.

choice cat
02-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Couple questions:

1. is the fucking thing true? i wouldn't mind getting fucked.

2's. im considering getting a shitty job at a grocery store just to buy t-shirts. if i hitch a ride with my also very cute friend, will we find somewhere to sleep at night with no moneys? as in, how likely is it to sneak into camping and someone let us sleep there? or floor in a hotel room? are there free showers in camping?

3. would it be a good idea to bring an umbrella or will it get cumbersome?

it probably won't rain. if your both girls and are as cute as you say you are I don't think very many guys will turn you down !

Garaputo
02-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Don't forget to walk around aimlessly in a drug-induced stupor, guided by the idiot glow of your perma-grin. I know I plan to:)

Jert Jerterson
02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
No, it will not keep someone on a mission out, but it will provide a layer of protection. If you were trying to steal something from a tent, would you go for the one with the locks, or the one without? Anyway, with the car camping this year I don't think it will be an issue.

Definitely the one with the pathetically ridiculous lock on, yeah. It means you've got something worth stealing! :nod:

TomAz
02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
C DUB YAS TIPS

1. sun block
2. water
3. comfy shoes
4. light clothing during the day - long sleeves at night (desert)
5. arrive early
6. book hotel early
7. Shower
8. eat
9. leave the alcohol till afterwards, the sun will kill you
10. buy the t shirts you want early (they sell out at night and the lines are very long)
11. expect to wait in the morning at the entrance gate in long slow moving lines.
12. don't try to smuggle crazy ass drugs in there, why lax, they do escort people out from time to time, that would be a bummer of a weekend.
13. don't "push your way" up front. If there is an artist you want to see, get to that stage while the artist before is still on and wait it out, you just may see something else you like too.
14. Don't stare at celebs - they are 9 times out of 10, not worth it.
15. move around to the different stage see as much as possible
16. Know that you WILL miss some acts you wanna see.
17. Expect LOTS of traffic to and from festival grounds
18. buy 3 day pass as early ASAP
19. If you buy only one day, Sunday and Friday will be the first to go I think.
20. Condoms
22. sleep
23. print out a set times schedule - keep it in your pocket (they will have schedules there, but don't spend forever looking for one)
24. Plan any tent signings early, and prepare to wait for your favorite, but don't go nuts at the signing tent, you'll miss lots.
25. Bring cash

I agree with most of these. The alcohol bit and beer garden bit I don't, however. If you want a beer, have a beer. Just use sense while the sun's up.

also, thumbs up to the Gold Bond and Foldable Hat ideas.

daxton
02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
OK I fear that from what I have read the answer to this is no, BUT. If I bring an empty water bottle into the arena a) will I be allowed and more importantly b) are there places I can fill it up?

I just recently saw a couple shows over there and the security guards kept handing out little cups of water to the people closer to the stage. It was really nice and surprising. Not to mention, the guards would pull out aggro douche bags if you wanted.

Binku
02-15-2010, 06:48 PM
drinking in the shade is such a luxury at this thing. every single square inch of shade is worth thousands. especially when youre drinking. its just not there enough. the $8.00 goes toward crankiness only. either dont drink or dont go.

pretty expensive misery.

Did you not hear? They are allowing in-and-outs this year, so save your money and drink at your tent as they are allowing aprox. 1 case of beer (cans/plastic bottles) per person [Hopefully per day lol], then go back in! =D Then you won't have to drink Heineken all day either.

psychic friend
02-28-2010, 06:34 PM
TIPS FROM THE LOST AND FOUND BOOTH:

I dont know if this has been mentioned before or not but.. or maybe i mentioned it before. haha

CAMERAS
For EVERYONE taking a digital camera, please take a photo of your contact information.. it could be you holding up a sign with your phone number, email, whatever. maybe then lost and found (or whoever finds your camera and doesnt turn it in to lost and found) would have a sure fire way of getting in contact with you. Or engrave it on your camera.. and take a few pics of your dog or something that would be VERY easy to definitely identify the camera as yours. as people do try to scam free cameras (and fail). "pics of coachella" is not going to help prove its yours.

CELL PHONES
Make sure your cell phone has contact info to get a hold of you when you don't have your phone, etc. I cant speak for random strangers who find your phone but at lost and found first thing they do is get the number of the phone, then we start trying to contact last call/text in/out.. or after the festival will try home/mom/dad. and leaving voicemail on the actual number of the phone if its not disconnected. and yet still year after year we end up with phones where we could not connect with the owners, batteries later died, numbers disconnected, etc. put a sticker on it or something else completely identifiable in case batteries die, etc. everyone seems to think they are the only one who could have possibly lost an iphone and batteries died.

KEYS
If you lose your keys, please stop by the lost and found booth. they have more keys than they know what to do with by the time the festival is over. It wouldn't hurt to have a contact info tag on the key chain.. name/number..

PURSES/BAGS/WALLETS/BACKPACKS/PASSPORTS
Make sure there is contact info in there somewhere!!! simply put a piece of paper in there that says THIS BELONGS TO .......... CALL ...........
Even though lost and found will go to great lengths to look people up on facebook/myspace, call insurance or doctor appointment cards, etc. sadly sometimes those people are NOT helpful and there is no connection ever made. They will not send things to the license address due to identity theft and people often move and not update their ID. There is a spot on passports to write contact info. USE IT

karma_guy
02-28-2010, 06:59 PM
thanks for the great tips PF, i'm def going to do the camera idea this year

Ajaxe
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
that camera idea is great hah.. with the amount of travelling I do I'm suprised I havent thought of it before :)

C DUB YA
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I added it to the updated first post. A very good idea.

psychic friend
03-02-2010, 01:58 PM
D dub i thought this was a useful post, maybe consider adding to your list
http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1606911&postcount=28

Big B
03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Be ready to fight those around you!

C DUB YA
03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

added.

C DUB YA
03-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Be ready to fight those around you!

Hello douchebag.

Deandeleo
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
"13. Don't "push your way" up front. This is kinda important. If there is an artist you want to see, get to that stage while the artist before is still on and just wait it out, you just may end up see something else you like too. In other words, don't be the asshole."

All is fair in love and music festivals, I dont think if you politely say excuse me first there's nothing wrong with pushing your way by somebody

karma_guy
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
"13. Don't "push your way" up front. This is kinda important. If there is an artist you want to see, get to that stage while the artist before is still on and just wait it out, you just may end up see something else you like too. In other words, don't be the asshole."

All is fair in love and music festivals, I dont think if you politely say excuse me first there's nothing wrong with pushing your way by somebody

yeah it's fine to try to make your way to the front
but the key is TO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE
seriously
for morrissey last year, there were so many people who were just being assholes about getting close to their savior morrissey

fatbastard
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
They were trying to avoid the smell of burning flesh.

weezy f baby
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm honored you thought of my sage wisdom. This tip came from one of my "slow" friends who would always waste his "where are you" text and I'd respond by saying "stop fucking wasting texts! I'm at the Sahara tent" and he'd text me an hour later when I'm somewhere else like "I'm here now it's 6:30" and it was already like 7:20 or something. It got really annoying really fast.

C DUB YA
03-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Sounds like early asshole defensive statements. (not you) but I heard this all from Rage fans 2 years ago.

But yeah, saying excuse me and what not, of course gets you far.

Just get to where you wanna be early and you won't have that problem.

Also realizing there is a limit to where you can go eventually is a handy tip as well.

beavington
03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Sounds like early asshole defensive statements. (not you) but I heard this all from Rage fans 2 years ago.

Also realizing there is a limit to where you can go eventually is a handy tip as well.

if only the chicks who think they can get by on a smile and stupid face would get that message.

TomAz
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
9. if you don't mind to do so, save the large amounts of alcohol till afterwards, because the sun will kill/drain you.

26. Don't wear a backpack. Esp in the crowds near any stage. Unless you are working, you should leave it at the hotel, tent, or even a locker. The person behind you will be glad you don't bump them every time you decide to dance a little. Plus, it's one more security check you'll have to do.

I would rephrase #9 as "go light on the beer while the sun's still up"

and I disagree with #26. little daypack very useful. I would say "if you're going to use a backpack, make is small, light, and be aware of where it is -- be courteous to your neighbors"

weezy f baby
03-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I wear a backpack everytime.

beavington
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I wear a backpack everytime.

i do too, but i take it off when i am in a crowd.

Foppie
03-02-2010, 03:35 PM

I took someone's tip on this one last year... Works wonders! Found it at Rite Aid.

TomAz
03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah a good powder is really very very helpful. I haven't tried that one but this one works for me

http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2009/02/300.jpg

Theijuiel
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
http://www.trigeeks.ca/images/eurostyle_chamois_buttr.jpg

This is a must if you have chafing problems.

beavington
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I took someone's tip on this one last year... Works wonders! Found it at Rite Aid.

hmmm nice to know that exists, sometimes that is not fun to have a rashy ass at the end of the day.

dirt lip
03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
fanny pack - don't diss till you try

ajax4747
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Nice call on the powder...I completely forgot what 8:00pm felt like after a long day!

flowbee
03-02-2010, 05:22 PM
fanny pack - don't diss till you try

I'm not afraid of wearing one but I've found it just can't carry enough stuff I want to keep with me all day.

L_gic
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm not afraid of wearing one but I've found it just can't carry enough stuff I want to keep with me all day.

they are very handy indeed.

C DUB YA
03-03-2010, 07:52 AM
This is good stuff too.

http://www.runnersblock.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/body_glide.jpg

lizng
03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Sure it's meant for underarms, the Dove invisible solid is the best for chafing. It comes in travel size too, so that's nice.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41C22TY16JL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

captncrzy
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
TIPS FROM THE LOST AND FOUND BOOTH:

I dont know if this has been mentioned before or not but.. or maybe i mentioned it before. haha

CAMERAS
For EVERYONE taking a digital camera, please take a photo of your contact information.. it could be you holding up a sign with your phone number, email, whatever. maybe then lost and found (or whoever finds your camera and doesnt turn it in to lost and found) would have a sure fire way of getting in contact with you. Or engrave it on your camera.. and take a few pics of your dog or something that would be VERY easy to definitely identify the camera as yours. as people do try to scam free cameras (and fail). "pics of coachella" is not going to help prove its yours.

CELL PHONES
Make sure your cell phone has contact info to get a hold of you when you don't have your phone, etc. I cant speak for random strangers who find your phone but at lost and found first thing they do is get the number of the phone, then we start trying to contact last call/text in/out.. or after the festival will try home/mom/dad. and leaving voicemail on the actual number of the phone if its not disconnected. and yet still year after year we end up with phones where we could not connect with the owners, batteries later died, numbers disconnected, etc. put a sticker on it or something else completely identifiable in case batteries die, etc. everyone seems to think they are the only one who could have possibly lost an iphone and batteries died.

I've been inspired to take a picture of my name and address with both my camera and my phone (and use it as a screensaver for my phone).

sushibandita
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM

last year they sold a reusable bottle for $10 you could refill at anytime for free.

C DUB YA
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
If your going to draw on cars....

when feeling like Picasso in the parking lot, keep it on the glass people. A big penis/poop/vagina/tittays, looks the same on the windshield as it does on the hood. Anything on the paint will scratch.

Just use the glass. You and your friends can still marvel at your jr high bathroom drawings without doing any damage to someone's car. It's a win-win.

jck83
03-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Underarmor, It works wonders. Never once dealt with the mysterious itch from between my legs.

Laura owns you
03-18-2010, 07:27 AM
http://www.skinsecretsexposed.com/skin-care-blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/neutrogena-fresh-cooling-body-mist-sunblock-patented-helioplex-technology-spf-45.jpg

seriously....this shit is amazing. its a spray on sunscreen that cools your skin off as you spray it on. the result? whenever you get super hot, you put on more sunscreen. you dont forget to reapply and end up burned as hell at the end of the day.

the downside? if you spray anyone else with this magic sunscreen, they'll ask for more of it all weekend, and you'll fun out faster. so bring way more than you think you'll need.

insbordnat
03-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Nothing chaps my ass more than being in the tents, which are crowded enough as it is, with some douche who gets to where I'm at starts pushing when there really isn't any where to go. Yeah, I get it, you want to get to the front. My response would be if you wanted to get to the front, you should have gotten there earlier. I did, which is why I'm standing where I'm standing. And why the people at the front are where they are at.

And please, if you do try to muscle your way through, don't be surprised if you get a couple of well placed elbows shoving you back.

profchaos
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I disagree with number 21, I've had some of my best times in the beer gardens hanging out getting drunk. If you have no one to see for an hour or two it's the best place to be at. Good job on the list though.

artisticcreator
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
I'd have to say that these are some great recommendations. But I do like a beer every now and then. And I've met some great people in there!

Planning is the most important thing.

Pretend your a Boy Scout and be prepared. Nothing spoils a day more than a misplaced wallet or stash.

fatbastard
03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
If you have the time, draw a penis on a car window.