PDA

View Full Version : Will they/should they push the 2 weekends back?

ocbruin84
04-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Given the somewhat inclement weather we faced during the first part of Weekend 1, and the wind affecting art installations/possibly video screens, etc...do you think Goldenvoice will consider pushing Coachella back one week? There is some precedent for this...
- This year was the earliest Coachella ever, 2nd and 3rd weekends in April
- The past few years it was on the 3rd weekend in April
- Before that it was on the 4th or 5th weekend, even creeping into May
- 2004 was actually entirely in May, something I just learned/realized
(All this disregarding the inaugural year of course)

They probably won't do this but you never know. I'm assuming the weather this year was pretty rare. Do you think they SHOULD do this? I didn't mind the cooler weather on Saturday but I wasn't a fan of the missing art installations or the low-hanging video screens.

tigermilkboy
04-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't comprehend your point. The weather doesn't care when Coachella is. So how would changing the weekends in April guarantee certain weather conditions? Besides the weather was pretty much great all last weekend.

ocbruin84
04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Friday was pretty shitty. I mean it was tolerable but Coachella is supposed to mean clear, sunny skies and warm temperatures. Yeah even if they push it back one week each there's still a chance for bad weather but wasn't this the first rain @ Coachella? Pushing it back a week would at least reduce chances of similar weather. Like I said, probably not gonna happen, but just musing.

bluecheese
04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
no.

Grant
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
if you were at refused you would say the weather was perfect. :D

aphrael
04-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Friday was pretty shitty. I mean it was tolerable but Coachella is supposed to mean clear, sunny skies and warm temperatures. Yeah even if they push it back one week each there's still a chance for bad weather but wasn't this the first rain @ Coachella? Pushing it back a week would at least reduce chances of similar weather. Like I said, probably not gonna happen, but just musing.

it was also an unseasonal storm, either way.

anonimouse
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
bad weather one out of twelve* years, and only on 1.5/6 days out of the fest at that. i see no problem here

(*again '99 doesnt count since it was in october)

bluecheese
04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
lol you call that a storm?

Vic Viper
04-18-2012, 03:44 PM
IT RAINED FOR 20 MINUTES YOU FUCKING SISSIES.

magmazing
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
As someone who has been in the middle of a hail storm at Sasquatch 2006 and a windstorm at Saquatch 2007 that both put the festival to a temporary halt, this weekend's Coachella was a cakewalk. Pleasant even.

Friday was abnormally cold, but I quite liked not dying of heat on Saturday and Sunday.

aphrael
04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
lol you call that a storm?

it wasn't really a storm in indio, but it was in the bay area and sacramento, so, yeah, i call it a storm. we just got the outer fringes of it.

aphrael
04-18-2012, 05:02 PM

the issue for me wasn't the rain; hell, i was in a tent for most of the rain.

the issue for me was the cold. it was in the low 40s friday night. i wasn't prepared for that and only had shorts. i ended up curling up in my sleeping bag and drinking in the campground both thurs and fri night (cause of course you hang out and talk when you get back after the last set).

heart cooks brain
04-18-2012, 05:27 PM
it's going to be 102 next weekend you dolt

concertgoer
04-18-2012, 05:43 PM
it's going to be 102 next weekend you dolt

Come on everyone knows that is the perfect weather for Coachella~

concertgoer
04-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Coachella was only two days earlier last year so the whole idea of moving the weekends back a week is so fucking stupid.

heart cooks brain
04-18-2012, 05:47 PM
that's why people die at bonnaroo.

pinkandbrown
04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
the weather was great. compared to all the previous years iv been to coachella i have to say that this years weather for first weekend was the BEST ever

concertgoer
04-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Agreed

eimie
04-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Uhh, I thought the "rain" was a blessing cuz that meant no dust clouds until Sunday. Of course, to balance last weekend out, a heat wave just has to hit on Weekend 2. Triple digits baby!

Wolfbeckett
04-18-2012, 06:14 PM
the issue for me wasn't the rain; hell, i was in a tent for most of the rain.

the issue for me was the cold. it was in the low 40s friday night. i wasn't prepared for that and only had shorts. i ended up curling up in my sleeping bag and drinking in the campground both thurs and fri night (cause of course you hang out and talk when you get back after the last set).

The lesson for you here is to check the goddamn weather forecast when you are packing.

sidsjiff
04-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Weekend One weather was the BEST. The cooler temps made it much easier to have energy to move between stages etc. Also one didnt have to think about one's hydration status all the time. Even Sunday - the high temp (85F) was still lower than any high temp I've experienced at any Coachella in the past eight years. I sincerely hope they keep it the same weekend next year which I think schedules it for April 12, 2013.

Panda421
04-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Best weather ever. If you were smart you looked at a weather report before hand and brought warm clothing too.

threeve
04-20-2012, 05:58 AM
The weekend 1 weather was amazing. I brought extra layers for night and much prefer that than having my skin feel like it's boiling away in the sun during the day. A little planning went a long way. I'm still chuckling about the people raving about my $1 rain poncho. Plus, the yellow stage lights during EITS panning up through the crowd into the sky and catching the mist made everyone there go "oooh!" - that was a really cool moment that will probably never be repeated.

kuz_85
04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Push it back! I travel all the way from England for this festival, and goddamnit part of me does it for gorgeous weather. Friday of weekend 1 sucked, that has been the worse day of all the days of the three years of festivals I've been too. In addition to this, they can switch it back to just one weekend, imo it strengthens the line-up. This years was definitely the weakest on paper due to its dilution, surely caused by acts having to committ to 2 weeks. Biggest moan I have ever had about Coachella... I feel bad, but goddamnit I still luv you :)

mmblack
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Plus, the yellow stage lights during EITS panning up through the crowd into the sky and catching the mist made everyone there go "oooh!" - that was a really cool moment that will probably never be repeated.

this.

aphrael
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
The lesson for you here is to check the goddamn weather forecast when you are packing.

I did. I didn't believe it. :)

Really, though, I enjoyed every minute of it except trips to the porta-potties at 3am. Even curling up in my sleeping bag wasn't bad; it was just unexpected. :)

frizzlefry
04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Plus, the yellow stage lights during EITS panning up through the crowd into the sky and catching the mist made everyone there go "oooh!" - that was a really cool moment that will probably never be repeated.

Oh my fucking god yes! Seeing those guys jam in the most was like a dream

luckyface
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
If anything, they should move the festival to March so we get more weather like weekend 1.

Phunkevil
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Only a Southern Californian would think Friday's weather was "shitty."

frizzlefry
04-24-2012, 11:10 PM
The wind was awful but besides that and having to actually wear a hoodie, it was great

Wolfbeckett
04-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Only a Southern Californian would think Friday's weather was "shitty."

San Diego born and raised and I thought Friday weekend 1 was excellent. Sure it was a little cold when the sun went down but I packed accordingly and bundled up, no problems. Enjoyed it a HELL of a lot more than I would have enjoyed the 100+ temps weekend 2. I get enough burning heat where I live, colder rainy days are most excellent in my book.

Coldchella
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I absolutely loved the weekend 1 weather. I think 80s/50s is just about perfect festival/camping/you name it weather.

I'd even completely support GV pulling in the dates a week or two to avoid the 100+ temps we saw weekend 2.

TomAz
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM

This is the correct answer.

TomAz
04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
If anything, they should move the festival to March so we get more weather like weekend 1.

This is also the correct answer.

TomAz
04-25-2012, 03:20 PM

But this is the most correct answer of all.

JustSteve
04-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd even completely support GV pulling in the dates a week or two to avoid the 100+ temps we saw weekend 2.

too many horsies still running around on the fields.

aguadulce
04-25-2012, 04:36 PM
the weather was great. compared to all the previous years iv been to coachella i have to say that this years weather for first weekend was the BEST ever

100% agree - the BEST weather of any Coachella ever.