PDA

View Full Version : Where's my 30+ Crowd?

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Weekend one was my first time at Coachella, I'm 30. I felt like I may as well have been 70. On Friday night a girl in her twenties asked me who I was excited to see. This was strange because anyone else in the younger crowd who I started conversations with ignored me. When I answered, "radiohead," she said, "Yeah, a lot of people in your age group are really excited about radiohead." Bummed. me. out.

Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella. But if I don't go, then who will show up to Pulp and the like? I feel like Coachella is sending me mixed messages by enticing me with bands "my age group gets excited about." I was warned about the "bros" before I went, but I could not actually fathom the awfulness of them as a whole.

It's not even that I'm jealous of their youth, I'm only 30 which means I don't even know that I'm 30. I'm glad they are young and carefree, but fuuuuu...I am planning on going next year, I had an amazing time. I AM supposed to be there...right?

-April

troubleINwonderland
04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Fuck that. I'm 30...but my heart says i'm 12

TomAz
04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Weekend one was my first time at Coachella, I'm 30. I felt like I may as well have been 70. On Friday night a girl in her twenties asked me who I was excited to see. This was strange because anyone else in the younger crowd who I started conversations with ignored me. When I answered, "radiohead," she said, "Yeah, a lot of people in your age group are really excited about radiohead." Bummed. me. out.

Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella. But if I don't go, then who will show up to Pulp and the like? I feel like Coachella is sending me mixed messages by enticing me with bands "my age group gets excited about." I was warned about the "bros" before I went, but I could not actually fathom the awfulness of them as a whole.

It's not even that I'm jealous of their youth, I'm only 30 which means I don't even know that I'm 30. I'm glad they are young and carefree, but fuuuuu...I am planning on going next year, I had an amazing time. I AM supposed to be there...right?

-April

Were you in the Sahara a lot of the time? That crowd skews very young. and dumb.

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Were you in the Sahara a lot of the time? That crowd skews very young. and dumb.

Ha! That is where the girl said that to me about radiohead. That was the only time I was there. When I returned the next night, I just couldn't take the vibe and fled!

Goatchella
04-18-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm 30.

I will break dance , pop lock, liquid, poi, hoop, shuffle and party harder than any tard youngin

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm 30.

I will break dance , pop lock, liquid, poi, hoop, shuffle and party harder than any tard youngin

That's how I feel too. I think I would have felt better if I told her to fuck off. Ah the regret of an unspoken comeback!

tigermilkboy
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM

-April

LOL..I'm nearer 40. I saw Radiohead for the first time in 1992, Pulp in 1985 and I saw Madness in 1981. To put that in perspective, you weren't even born (nor were most of the crowd) when I saw one of the bands at Coachella.

Stop feeling old, otherwise you will be old.

corgigirl
04-18-2012, 12:14 PM
If you had a good time at Coachella that is all that matters! I am over 30 and I am going this weekend and I going to have a good time. Age is only the number we exist on this earth and if we all knew the number we would die at would we not try to do the things we like to do while we are here?? Sorry to get spiritual but why stop having fun and doing the things you like just because of your age??

someone
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm 34 and on my 4th Coachella. This is the first time I felt significantly old. I never once went into the Sahara, not that I ever do. But around the campgrounds, it was like being invisible.

Pixiessp
04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm 52 and I moshed a bit this year. Minor moshed, anyway. I sometimes have to remind myself I'm in my 50's. Don't be a knucklehead.

BROKENDOLL
04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm 30.

I guess I'm fortunate to say that I was able to have this attitude until this year. Don't get me wrong, I still feel it, but the crowd sure had me questioning whether I was welcome to prove it.

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm 34 and on my 4th Coachella. This is the first time I felt significantly old. I never once went into the Sahara, not that I ever do. But around the campgrounds, it was like being invisible.

We actually camped among some cool people, but yeah...In passing I would make comments to people like, "Wow, Best pants at Coachella!" <-completely ignored.

But yeah, I will keep going because I had the time of my life, those kids were just SUCH a buzz kill!

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I guess I'm fortunate to say that I was able to have this attitude until this year. Don't get me wrong, I still feel it, but the crowd sure had me questioning whether I was welcome to prove it.

I'm glad it wasn't just me, but then again, I am bummed that it wasn't just me.

Miroir Noir
04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AQJ2QETnjcY

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AQJ2QETnjcY

HAHAHAHA! And I am CURED! I actually watched that last night and didn't absorb it the same way as I did just now.

My shit is as real as it gets! Can we all just meet up under the Polo sign next year and Kenny Powers the Sahara tent?!

scenicworld
I'll be celebrating the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday this july!

thom cobain
I'm 32. I've never felt old at Coachella. Look at the artists on stage. The acts I like are around my age or older than I am. If they can do it, I can watch it.

Goatchella
04-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Aside from radiohead,squeeze,buzzcocks and a couple others...the festival was really geared towards youngsters this year. They are targeting the future...I'm into blue grass and classic rock, champagne, wine, beer and food.

There is more to a festival than lasers and untz....check out OSL. I've seen Fogerty, al green, bob weir and Phil Lesh and this year Neil Young and Crazy horse are playing. Cutting edge is usually cutting out somebody....old people.

I go harder than all the kids I know to prove to them that age is just a number and normal is just a setting on your washing machine

blueduck
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm 30.

without drugs?

nosurprises12
04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Stop feeling old, otherwise you will be old.

This is the best advice given so far. Also, fuck other people who say anyone is too old for Coachella; if you're enjoying the music and the location, that's all that matters.

If you decide to go next year and it will make you feel more comfortable, use the social groups to help you find a group of people your age that you can hang out with: http://www.coachella.com/forum/group.php

tigermilkboy
04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Let's not forget Jarvis Cocker is 49 this year, Thom Yorke is 43

Vic Viper
04-18-2012, 12:39 PM
i'm 28 and jealous that outside lands gets stevie wonder this year.

what does that say about me.

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Youngest in my group is 42, oldest is 57. The only times I felt old were in the sahara, or at the end of the night when everything was hurting.
Luckily there is Vicodin.

There are shit tons of geezers at Coachella.

malcolmjamalawesome
04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm 32 and Captncrzy can confirm I was getting DOWN

Goatchella
04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
without drugs?

Hell yeah without drugs....I've taken enough man. I'm permed

BROKENDOLL
04-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Aside from radiohead,squeeze,buzzcocks and a couple others...the festival was really geared towards youngsters this year. They are targeting the future...I'm into blue grass and classic rock, champagne, wine, beer and food.

There is more to a festival than lasers and untz....check out OSL. I've seen Fogerty, al green, bob weir and Phil Lesh and this year Neil Young and Crazy horse are playing. Cutting edge is usually cutting out somebody....old people.

I go harder than all the kids I know to prove to them that age is just a number and normal is just a setting on your washing machine
But, I happen to really like the Untz and Lazers, God dammit...

Goatchella
04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Me too...love them lasers!!!!!

Those kids are all rookies. I've yet to have some young in school me on anything at a Coachella.
Most of them don't have any clue wtf they are even doing. They are having fun though and that's what matters

TomAz
04-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Youngest in my group is 42, oldest is 57. The only times I felt old were in the sahara, or at the end of the night when everything was hurting.
Luckily there is Vicodin.

There are shit tons of geezers at Coachella.

I'm 50 and I think this is exactly right. Except I didn't have any vicodin dammit.

Lynn163
04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Maybe it's the bands we caught, but I noticed a lot more people my age (47) this year than I have in the past. Lot's of parents taking their 16-17 year old kids. Also, I never go near the Sahara tent.

Walking in one day I overheard a 20 something year old gal say "look at all the older people coming in! It proves music doesn't have an age limit!" She was so excited.

Drewbles
04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Hot thread. I went last weekend, can't make weekend 2. If any of you old tops go next year and camp, we should camp together and throw down. I have a grill, good supplies, and bring good vibes. I'm 28 and felt old last weekend for some reason. I'd love to chill with some seasoned vets and make some new (old) friends.

CrimesceneCookie
04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Walking in one day I overheard a 20 something year old gal say "look at all the older people coming in! It proves music doesn't have an age limit!" She was so excited.

I firmly believe that most of those kids genuinely like seeing older people at the fests, it lets them know they don't have to stop going because they get older.

Lynn163
04-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I would hope so! I'm having the time of my life right now and not ready to stop!

Riflesmile
04-18-2012, 01:10 PM
36 here and have just got home from Ireland after my 2nd Coachella - I get what the OP is saying, but I spent a fair bit of time in the sahara going at it hard for the likes of Madeon, Porter Robinson and rocked out hard for ATDI and whilst I definitely was "old" in terms of the number, I kept up with the pace and made sure I had fun regardless of those around me or what they might have thought. If they ignored you for being friendly then that's their problem - fuck em.

Great thread!

trakball
04-18-2012, 01:10 PM
1973, represent!

I wanted to smack the young lady at fIREHOSE who exclaimed "jeez, he's old!" when Mike Watt walked on stage.

Goatchella
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Buzzcocks looked like they were gonna stroke out on stage....and they rocked.

1982 here!

IfYouSeeKay
04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
1978 represent. Wooot!

TheBigJT
04-18-2012, 01:28 PM
My first Coachella.

I'm a month shy of 52 and I figure when I sit down and stop doing things like this...then, that will be the moment I start to actually decay.
Bad knees may limit my dancing, but I don't plan to stop seeing concerts/festivals anytime soon.

TheBigJT
04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
1978 represent. Wooot!

1978....was the year I graduated high school...lol

IfYouSeeKay
04-18-2012, 01:30 PM
1978....was the year I graduated high school...lol
Cheers anyways!

cured
04-18-2012, 01:32 PM
My entire group (10 or so people) was over 30 and we enjoyed ourselves just fine. Who cares what other people may or may not think. If they're there to judge you, they're wasting their time. I've come most years since the first back in 1999 and I've always had a really good time.

anonimouse
04-18-2012, 01:37 PM
in the past two years especially it seems the age spectrum has been extended at both ends. i see alot more younger kids and alot more 50+ crowd. this year the increase on both ends was pretty noticeable even compared to last year. i think its good for the fest that the crowd is increasingly diverse. its a beautiful thing to see a person with a full head of grey watching atari teenage riot or some kid in his early teens getting the fuck down to death grips

I'm 52 and I moshed a bit this year. Minor moshed, anyway. I sometimes have to remind myself I'm in my 50's. Don't be a knucklehead.

fuck that, this is coachella! minor mosh your 52 year old ass off!

DSantos
04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
I am gonna rock my balls off...1978 represent! The first stop will be the Sahara tent with my Pirate Radio shirt on...not the fucked up movie but the LA radio station from the late 80's...

TomAz
04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
fuck that, this is coachella! minor mosh your 52 year old ass off!

She was slamming with me, and I weigh about 3x what she does. So I can understand her concern.

aphrael
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Then I come home and read articles that basically tell me I'm too old for Coachella.

Fuck that.

You're not too old for Coachella as long as you're able to go and have a blast.

aphrael
04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
I firmly believe that most of those kids genuinely like seeing older people at the fests, it lets them know they don't have to stop going because they get older.

yeah, i think there's a lot to that.

aphrael
04-18-2012, 02:24 PM
We actually camped among some cool people, but yeah...In passing I would make comments to people like, "Wow, Best pants at Coachella!" <-completely ignored.

But yeah, I will keep going because I had the time of my life, those kids were just SUCH a buzz kill!

i'd blame the crowd and not your age. in general, the crowd this year was less friendly and outgoing than in previous years.

anonimouse
04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
She was slamming with me, and I weigh about 3x what she does. So I can understand her concern.

staying out of the pit due to safety reasons is one thing. staying out because youre "too old" is another. tho i can understand how depending on the pit that line might start to blur at some point...

but i think you know what i mean. just saying dont let age alone be the determining factor

scenicworld
04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
i'd blame the crowd and not your age. in general, the crowd this year was less friendly and outgoing than in previous years.

I thought the crowd was great this year. Last year I tried to strike up conversation with the people near me before sets and no one felt like talking, but this year people actually talked to me and some talked to me without me provoking the conversation. it might be because I wore deodorant this year? lol

DeadSkin
04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm 28, but I love a ton of newer bands.

Vic Viper
04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
btw there was an older gentleman (guessing at least upper 50s) at gotye wearing a shirt that said something along the lines of "you're never too old to stop loving music". i tapped him on the shoulder and i said i thought his shirt was great. he seemed really pleased by my comment. you go dude.

orange
04-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm 31, 32 soon, never been to coachella, I know that this is one of my last festivals, during my twenties I went to probably to more then 100 festivals, but I don't know why I stop going, for some reason I don't go anymore, But coachella is something I can't miss, I have heard lots of things about this festival and never had the opportunity...I'm just a bit worried how my body is going to react, I used to party for daayss!!, now I only last hours, I get tired very easy even with effects of alcohol and drugs, I don't know, I haven't been to one of these in a loong time...I'm just looking forward in having a good time regardless my age.

aphrael
04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm 31, 32 soon, never been to coachella, I know that this is one of my last festivals, during my twenties I went to probably to more then 100 festivals, but I don't know why I stop going, for some reason I don't go anymore, But coachella is something I can't miss, I have heard lots of things about this festival and never had the opportunity...I'm just a bit worried how my body is going to react, I used to party for daayss!!, now I only last hours, I get tired very easy even with effects of alcohol and drugs, I don't know, I haven't been to one of these in a loong time...I'm just looking forward in having a good time regardless my age.

I went to my first Coachella at 31; now i'm 38. It's really my favorite event of the year.

amyzzz
04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
I went to my first Coachella at 31; now i'm 38. It's really my favorite event of the year.I am also 38, but I went to my first Coachella at age 26. ;)

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
btw there was an older gentleman (guessing at least upper 50s) at gotye wearing a shirt that said something along the lines of "you're never too old to stop loving music". i tapped him on the shoulder and i said i thought his shirt was great. he seemed really pleased by my comment. you go dude.

He was there last year too. Did he fix the spelling this time?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215747_763719323380_18915774_39352659_2590312_n.jp g

aphrael
04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I am also 38, but I went to my first Coachella at age 26. ;)

:)

I was in norcal then, and I had no drivers' license; indio might as well have been another planet.

Vic Viper
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215747_763719323380_18915774_39352659_2590312_n.jp g

haha, if i remember correctly yes he did.

Mr. Fuzz
04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to +40 thread? The OP is an asshole!

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to +40 thread? The OP is an asshole!
I probably AM an asshole, but how could you tell?

aphrael
04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
1973, represent!

I wanted to smack the young lady at fIREHOSE who exclaimed "jeez, he's old!" when Mike Watt walked on stage.

woot 1973!

bluecheese
04-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Hot thread. I went last weekend, can't make weekend 2. If any of you old tops go next year and camp, we should camp together and throw down. I have a grill, good supplies, and bring good vibes. I'm 28 and felt old last weekend for some reason. I'd love to chill with some seasoned vets and make some new (old) friends.

haha, i feel ya man, im 28 and definitely stayed out of the Sahara (and I've been djing for a decade lol), I guess it's not exactly where I want to be anymore. I do want to camp next year too.

CaseSensitive
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
haha, i feel ya man, im 28 and definitely stayed out of the Sahara (and I've been djing for a decade lol), I guess it's not exactly where I want to be anymore. I do want to camp next year too.

My husband and I are SO glad we camped. So nice to just walk back (1 mile!) and continue the good times. My husband is not very patient when it comes to existing a crowded parking lot. Camping is the way to go!

billtino
04-18-2012, 04:25 PM
In a few weeks I'll be kissing the 30's good-bye. You are as old as you feel & live, not what some kid in the Sahara Tent thinks because of which bands you are there to see. The ladies I'll be with this week are in their 30's too and would've probably shown that kid a thing or two about letting loose at Coachella....

A-Ron
04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
1980 here and my group I take of 30 range from 21 to 40.

Vic Viper
04-18-2012, 07:06 PM
i'll keep going to the sahara as long as they keep putting the noisia's, the breakbot's, and the sven vath's of the world in there occasionally.

philabuster
04-18-2012, 07:32 PM

-April

I'm 55. If it wasn't for people my age, who could verify that the Buzzcocks play with the same energy they did in the 70s? I've been going since 2005 and I've never had anyone at the concert (although a few on this board) suggest I'm too old. In fact I've had great conversations with kids half my age or less who want to know about the concert scene in the old days. For some reason, though, the band I'm most often asked if I saw is Pink Floyd. Roger Waters' 2008 show not withstanding they are not a group I would have expected continues to resonate with kids under the age of 25.

trakball
04-18-2012, 07:42 PM
I've been going since 2005 and I've never had anyone at the concert (although a few on this board) suggest I'm too old.

People talk all kinds of shit behind the safety of their keyboard.

HAIRYGOOMBA
04-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I am 62 and have been attending since 2003. I love the whole experience. I arrive early and stay late.

I am pretty quiet and just enjoy every aspect of the event. It is thrilling and renewing and inspiring.

However, I don't camp! I have braved the Sahara a few times, just out of curiosity.

aguadulce
04-18-2012, 08:57 PM
My group was me 45, wife 48 and friend 52.
Been many times and always have a blast. Never go in the Sahara though.
And usually before each set we look around and find someone older and say
"we are not the oldest ones in here"

the goat
04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Hahahahaha, 1974, and I've never given a fuck about what these sweet summer children say.

I just do my best to try not to be too incredibly condescending to them, then politely excuse myself to speak with someone who actually possesses taste, and, at least, half a brain.

BROKENDOLL
04-18-2012, 09:57 PM

I seriously read that last sentence as, "it's normal to sit on your washing machine."

Guess what? I'm doing my laundry now... :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

n3glect
04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Those of us who've gone every year since 99 are almost all over 30. I like to think that bookings like Pulp, James, and Buzzcocks are thank you gifts for our loyalty.

Pixiessp
04-19-2012, 12:53 AM

I was not in any way concerned. I was out to knock the crap out of you, Tom. :winkiss

TomAz
04-19-2012, 06:06 AM

See, though, I disagree. I attended, what, something like 20 sets over the weekend? maybe a few more? Not a single one I didn't like. I had more conflicts than gaps. And when I tried to make a Top 10 Best list this week, i had to expand it to 15. Yes, Radiohead, Squeeze and Buzzcocks were on it, but so were Black Lips, We Were Promised Jetpacks, First Aid Kit, and EMA.

Also, I had a glass of champagne on the polo grounds this year.

TomAz
04-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I was not in any way concerned. I was out to knock the crap out of you, Tom. :winkiss

Well I was concerned on your behalf.

Goatchella
04-19-2012, 07:07 AM
See, though, I disagree. I attended, what, something like 20 sets over the weekend? maybe a few more? Not a single one I didn't like. I had more conflicts than gaps. And when I tried to make a Top 10 Best list this week, i had to expand it to 15. Yes, Radiohead, Squeeze and Buzzcocks were on it, but so were Black Lips, We Were Promised Jetpacks, First Aid Kit, and EMA.

Also, I had a glass of champagne on the polo grounds this year.

Yes you enjoy the music...But the fstival is NOT geared towards attracting you or your age demographic.
If they were tryin to lure most people your age they would have Betty white as a surprise guest for Devo
You are a rare diamond in a field of adolescent teenie weenies.

TomAz
04-19-2012, 07:18 AM
I think they target multiple demographics. I really think they book bands like Squeeze and Buzzcocks and Jimmy Cliff and Madness this year, and X and Devo and Gang of Four and PiL and Leonard Cohen etc etc in prior years, to get guys like me to come.

Goatchella
04-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Hell yeah....They know what they are doing. They know not all older people are slugs which have hung up the dancing shoes.

Did you catch explosions in the sky? don't miss them at OSL

Stickjohn
04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
You are a rare diamond in a field of adolescent teenie weenies.
Said of TomAz and quoted for truth.

Goatchella
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
We didn't do whippets....so it wasn't me. I did get closed down at 4:30 Sunday morning tho. I was playing down tempo and glitch tho.

zircona1
04-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm 34 and I have been feeling old lately, but I'm gonna keep going to concerts and music festivals until I can't do it anymore.

threeve
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
1981 here. I think my age just gives me a feeling that spending money to stay in a hotel is justified. :) Last year some 18 year old from LA told me with a grossed-out look on her face that I didn't look 30. Thanks?

Jbruna16
04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm 30 but I look like Im 25....so Im straight...

christopepper
04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
1979 here! That puts me at 32 and I don't think I once felt out of place during the fest. It may have something to do with me not looking quite my age, but I think it has a lot more to do with being comfortable in your own skin. Like everyone says you're only as old as you feel, and as long as you're not trying too hard to be something you're not you should be fine.

scenicworld
04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I hooked up with a 23 year old at coachella, so I'm pretty sure that makes my average coachella age 29, doesn't it?

LiquidL
04-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Keep going till u can't go no more.

Use BrokenDoll as inspiration. She's 104.

jebdeb
04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

-April I turned 31 on the 13 of April i Celebrated a Coachella BDay.....Who Gives a "F" about age....its about Music and Fun.....Fuck what anyone else things....They still live with there moms and Jerk off in a sock.....

Coachcell Next Year....!!!

christopepper
04-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I hooked up with a 23 year old at coachella, so I'm pretty sure that makes my average coachella age 29, doesn't it?

Haha! Exactly! I always tell my buddies I'm only as old as the girl I'm dating, but I guess taking the avg is a lot more scientific.

Tori7
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
This was my first coachella. I'm 39 - and had a blast. Although there were a lot of high school/uni crowds there, it didn't bother me. At least we know how to pace ourselves - I saw one girl that passed out in the line up to get in on Day 1 - she hadn't even got through security. I saw another girl that had vomitted all over herself.

I danced my ass off at the Sahara tent like the rest of 'em. I did think that people weren't that friendly though - I expected to meet a lot more people, so not sure if that was b/c of the age thing. but at the end of the day, I was there for the music and loved it.

Inthecolumbiagorge
04-19-2012, 03:53 PM
We are well over 30 and I actually saw quite a few older people there. I do have to say that dealing with the sometimes heavy handed security makes us not want to come back next year though. It seems a bit incongruous to pay so much, to travel so far, and then be treated as though I am attempting to do something exceedingly criminal....seriously a bummer! We had one guy take everything out of our bags, check the pockets of the clothing, examine every single thing in the vehicle like we were mad terrorists and of course there was nothing to find to begin with but I pitied the people in his line because it was going to be ugly for someone for sure. I think in the future we will spend our money and time at festivals where security is not such a huge presence as it is at Coachella. Sad to say it but 2012 may have been our last Coachella:-( Love the music, love the people, but I don't think getting manhandled and scrutinized so hard is really very much fun when all I am trying to do is enjoy the music, weather and all the lovely Coachella goer's.

aphrael
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
We are well over 30 and I actually saw quite a few older people there. I do have to say that dealing with the sometimes heavy handed security makes us not want to come back next year though. It seems a bit incongruous to pay so much, to travel so far, and then be treated as though I am attempting to do something exceedingly criminal....seriously a bummer! We had one guy take everything out of our bags, check the pockets of the clothing, examine every single thing in the vehicle like we were mad terrorists and of course there was nothing to find to begin with but I pitied the people in his line because it was going to be ugly for someone for sure. I think in the future we will spend our money and time at festivals where security is not such a huge presence as it is at Coachella. Sad to say it but 2012 may have been our last Coachella:-( Love the music, love the people, but I don't think getting manhandled and scrutinized so hard is really very much fun when all I am trying to do is enjoy the music, weather and all the lovely Coachella goer's.

i view the security as basically a one-time annoyance (going into the campground; going into the festival has never been bad for me), so it's well worth the price of admission.

Modernairefromabove
04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm 36 and still get down in the Sahara tent. I went Sunday with some friends who were older than me and they were going crazy for Justice. I think a lot of the feeling for music goes back to what you were listening to as a child and teen. Myself, I grew up on shit like Rick James, RFTW and anything Prince related...so when electroclash came along in the mid/late 90's I was hooked. Same thing with disco, I bet you get some 30, 40, 50 year old's to listen to In Flagranti, LCD or David Carretta and you're gonna see them dancing too. I love seeing the young DJ's and bands putting a different spin on the old stuff. You can have young and old enjoying music together.

Saydo
04-19-2012, 10:33 PM
1973 represent!!! I think that it makes sense that there's a big demographic of early 30's to early 40's represented since music was at a crest during the mid 80's to mid 90's during our formative years. With goth, grunge, hip hop, a re-emergence of punk and the beginnings of EDM emerging as musical genres, I'm almost surprised that there's not more in our age range. I guess it's mortgages, retirement, offspring, and responsibility that have sucked our fellow Gen X'ers and Y'ers out of the scene. Every year I say this is my last one, but every year I return. I'll continue even when my hearing goes, that way I can take advantage of the sign language guys at the main stage.

motionnn77
04-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I'm over 30. And I kill as a dancer in the Do-lab, Sahara, where ever. Every year I've gone, I get asked for photo ops. This just fuels my energy more so I feel even younger:-)

When I was actually young, I put off a lot things I wanted to do out of insecurity and worrying about what people would think of me. That's a lot of time wasted. I don't care as much about that now.

It's really strange, when I'm in the Sahara, I actually have youngin's gravitate to me. I guess if I took my sunglasses off, they would probably run away.

Duvel
04-20-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm well over 30...in fact i'm just over 40....

This was my 4th year in a row.

I do what i want...and will continue to travel half way around the world to go.

Age means nothing...

Happy Coachelllllllllllla

Buddha99
04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I am over 40 and our group of ten ranged from 35-50+.

This was the fourth Coachella in a row for my wife and I. Missing Coachella would be like missing Christmas to us.

For the record, I was throwing down in the Sahara for Breakbot and Madeon.

I quite enjoy my age and place in life. I wish I could tell my 18 year-old self how great life would get...

theGold
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I am over 40 and our group of ten ranged from 35-50+.

This was the fourth Coachella in a row for my wife and I. Missing Coachella would be like missing Christmas to us.

For the record, I was throwing down in the Sahara for Breakbot and Madeon.

I quite enjoy my age and place in life. I wish I could tell my 18 year-old self how great life would get...

Aww, that last sentence makes me happy :)

penny_sparkle
04-20-2012, 12:20 PM
april, i'm quite surprised this happened to someone your age -- i'm a decade older + experienced it right down to the radiohead. i didn't really start thinking about it until reading some recaps this afternoon so i searched the boards for the topic. it wasn't negativity as much as feeling rather invisible (this was 100x worse in car camping but i suppose that crowd skews younger...)

regardless, like you i had the time of my life + cannot see myself missing one ever again. see you next year :D

aphrael
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
1973 represent!!! I think that it makes sense that there's a big demographic of early 30's to early 40's represented since music was at a crest during the mid 80's to mid 90's during our formative years. With goth, grunge, hip hop, a re-emergence of punk and the beginnings of EDM emerging as musical genres, I'm almost surprised that there's not more in our age range. I guess it's mortgages, retirement, offspring, and responsibility that have sucked our fellow Gen X'ers and Y'ers out of the scene. Every year I say this is my last one, but every year I return. I'll continue even when my hearing goes, that way I can take advantage of the sign language guys at the main stage.

people's priorities change.

one of my closest friends in college was all about music - what bands were doing what, etc, etc. He still usually goes to ATP. But he's no longer obsessed with music and hasn't been to coachella since 2005.

penny_sparkle
04-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I danced my ass off at the Sahara tent like the rest of 'em. I did think that people weren't that friendly though - I expected to meet a lot more people, so not sure if that was b/c of the age thing. but at the end of the day, I was there for the music and loved it.

right on. 39 in july here... totally expected to meet more people as well, perhaps the weekend's only disappointment. delighted to see so many of you coming out of the woodwork tho; like someone said my real age is somewhere around 12.

penny_sparkle
04-20-2012, 12:43 PM
threeve: your username makes me smile every time i see it.

this experience was a lot less mortifying than being twenty years older than anyone else at cut/copy. i did feel a little guilty taking a catnap instead of catching the buzzcocks again (let's see weekend 2 taking a mid-afternoon tent nap) and james might have been my favourite performance all weekend... endless rain :D

Pixiessp
04-20-2012, 12:47 PM
penny_sparkle, I have to assume you are a Blonde Redhead fan. Please name your favorite CD of theirs. :)

Lynn163
04-20-2012, 12:59 PM

this experience was a lot less mortifying than being twenty years older than anyone else at cut/copy. i did feel a little guilty taking a catnap instead of catching the buzzcocks again (let's see weekend 2 taking a mid-afternoon tent nap) and james might have been my favourite performance all weekend... endless rain :D

You missed one of the best sets! Buzzcocks>napping

CaseSensitive
04-20-2012, 05:14 PM
april, i'm quite surprised this happened to someone your age -- i'm a decade older + experienced it right down to the radiohead. i didn't really start thinking about it until reading some recaps this afternoon so i searched the boards for the topic. it wasn't negativity as much as feeling rather invisible (this was 100x worse in car camping but i suppose that crowd skews younger...)

regardless, like you i had the time of my life + cannot see myself missing one ever again. see you next year :D

Invisible is a good word to describe it. I guess it just got to me because I love meeting new people. But the people I did meet and become friends with were great. Sorry your camping experience was so bad. Did you arrive on Thursday by chance? We arrived Friday at noon and, although we had to walk a mile to the event, it was much more tame. We were in row 135 N of lot 10. I think I will arrive on Friday next year just because I think that had a lot to do with the peacefulness/age group around us. Or maybe we just got lucky :) See you next year!

TomAz
04-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Re: feeling invisible. We have a 40+ group here on the board. Please feel free to join it, now or before next year, if you want to meet folks. We don't strictly enforce the 40 rule lol. This year was a little disorganized but prior years' meetups have been great and I want to make next year's good as well.

Although, napping through the Buzzcocks is inconceivable.

Lynn163
04-20-2012, 08:28 PM
That group needs to be revived. PF even told us it was a failure. I've already posted my response to napping at Buzzcocks.

Vic Viper
04-20-2012, 08:46 PM
being invisible at coachella would be amazing. who the fuck wants to get gawked at by children? i'm not there for them.

CaseSensitive
04-20-2012, 09:01 PM
being invisible at coachella would be amazing. who the fuck wants to get gawked at by children? i'm not there for them.

Fair enough. Very good point. I was trippin out on receiving no reply in my attempt at starting conversations. But next year, I'll enjoy the peace.

arthurbang
04-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm 37 and this was my 8th Coachella... My wife and I noticed a slightly older crowd this year for weekend one. A lot of older fest-goers (?) were at Squeeze's set.

oldfart
04-21-2012, 06:52 AM
I am a 60 year old male my lady is 45. After my 1st Coachella I proclaimed I will come every year until on my death bed. In the past we have camped where I feel you get the best interaction with other people. At our age camping can be brutal with the all day sun and possibility of little or no sleep due to the youngsters all night party. That is ok if that young I would be up most of the night myself. After last year when camping sold out before ticket sales and we ending up finally getting a hotel my lady proclaimed No more camping. We now starting our day later and are able to pace ourselves better to stay till the end of the night. Also entering the festival from day parking less hassle with security. quick fast pat down and in no more extensive car or equipment searches. As far as the youth goes regarding our ages the best friendliest happiest warmest buy you a beer group are anyone that comes from outside the USA. Best overall Australians followed by any UK country and then all other Europeans. We usually recognize all the headliners and then two or three other performers. I listen to KROQ but still do not know any of the performers and I love the discovery of new music. I dance sing smile and have fun. I do not care or worry about my age how I look or dress or lack of knowledge about the music. The experience is incredible.

threeve
04-21-2012, 09:18 AM

:thu

mjake07
04-21-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm 47 - 4th coachella in a row....friends I come down with are all the same age or a bit older and every year we ask "are we too old for this?"....and the answer is fuck NO. Still fun and really, there are acts for everyone who likes any kind of music. Every year I see bands I'd listen to anyway (Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, etc) and discover at least 5-10 new ones I never would have heard of if I wasnt coming to Coachella......not planning on stopping the trip anytime soon!

ivankay
04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
44 and keeping my streak alive of every one, every day. See you at Radiohead.

JustSteve
04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
just don't melt the next couple days. they have you working stagecoach, too?

momof5
04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
58 this year and have been to every Coachella. I have never felt old-I think the music keeps you young. I am not any more tired than the kids(19,21 and 37 this year) when it is over! If you have fun keep on going til you can't anymore! i hope to take my grandkids when they turn 13!!

ivankay
04-21-2012, 10:56 AM
just don't melt the next couple days. they have you working stagecoach, too?

Yes. The past 2 days have been HOOOOOOOOT! i'm keeping very hydrated, but think i might need to bust out a sweat band for the head. Sunscreen in the eyes always sucks. Today i won't have that problem because it is a free day for me to do as i please. Yay!

And there is talk of thunder storms for StageCoach. Craziness.

baldomero
04-21-2012, 11:29 AM
I am a 60 year old male my lady is 45. After my 1st Coachella I proclaimed I will come every year until on my death bed. In the past we have camped where I feel you get the best interaction with other people. At our age camping can be brutal with the all day sun and possibility of little or no sleep due to the youngsters all night party. That is ok if that young I would be up most of the night myself. After last year when camping sold out before ticket sales and we ending up finally getting a hotel my lady proclaimed No more camping. We now starting our day later and are able to pace ourselves better to stay till the end of the night. Also entering the festival from day parking less hassle with security. quick fast pat down and in no more extensive car or equipment searches. As far as the youth goes regarding our ages the best friendliest happiest warmest buy you a beer group are anyone that comes from outside the USA. Best overall Australians followed by any UK country and then all other Europeans. We usually recognize all the headliners and then two or three other performers. I listen to KROQ but still do not know any of the performers and I love the discovery of new music. I dance sing smile and have fun. I do not care or worry about my age how I look or dress or lack of knowledge about the music. The experience is incredible.
Amen, brother, you said it for all of us! My husband is 42 and I'm 37. Our relationship started with the Grateful Dead, then Phish shows. Going to Coachella is our annual date weekend, where we can enjoy some adult fun, get exposed to new music, and hook up with friends (our age). I don't give a rats ass what the little teeny boppers think of me dancing in the Sahara tent or how I'm dressed. Let's show the kids that the fun doesn't stop as you age, it just gets better. Like you, we have a system that allows us to conserve energy (we ride our bikes from the car to the entrance) and enjoy the entire weekend. See you next year!

meyouseek
04-21-2012, 11:36 AM
The younger set may provide eye-candy and lots of energy. But us older folk bring the cash, the headliners are mostly ours and security treats us better. And a lot of us have enjoyed many Coachella's past that the kids will never understand! ;-)

Pixiessp
04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
This was the first year I got harrassed a bit by security. They chose to search me more so than my younger companions.

TomAz
04-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I got my ass grabbed by security coming in one day. It was quite a thrill.

penny_sparkle
04-21-2012, 11:59 PM
granted i didn't nap AT buzzcocks but i did learn my first coachella lesson: doesn't matter if you've seen them before.

i do not regret charging my phone instead of attending the shins however.

pixiessp: misery, tho i actually really did love PS.
ivankay: your pix are the best i've seen yet

Saydo
04-22-2012, 02:20 PM
I got fingers in the taint, a sensation that I'm not quite used to.

philabuster
04-22-2012, 04:36 PM
58 this year and have been to every Coachella. I have never felt old-I think the music keeps you young. I am not any more tired than the kids(19,21 and 37 this year) when it is over! If you have fun keep on going til you can't anymore! i hope to take my grandkids when they turn 13!!

Why wait til they're 13? My 9 year old has been coming since he was 3 and has had a blast every year. There's always a few bands he wants to see and some he discovers during Coachella. If he's bored (can't say he was as excited as I was for God Speed! You Black Emperor) he plays with his DS until the next band. A sign that he has fully engaged in Coachella was that this was the first year he complained about the conflicts after the set times were announced.

Pixiessp
04-22-2012, 05:45 PM
granted i didn't nap AT buzzcocks but i did learn my first coachella lesson: doesn't matter if you've seen them before.

i do not regret charging my phone instead of attending the shins however.

pixiessp: misery, tho i actually really did love PS.

I wore my Penny Sparkle tee the other day. :)
I am partial to Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons.

threeve
04-22-2012, 05:54 PM
A sign that he has fully engaged in Coachella was that this was the first year he complained about the conflicts after the set times were announced.

I'm impressed, you're clearly teaching your son well :cool:

phoenix5150
04-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I was there & I'm 36. I went to hear whoever was playing. You can be 70 & listen to Slipknot
I saw others there who had grey hair. Keep going as long as you can afford it and enjoy the music. Everybody's got their preferences, but some types of music shouldn't be pigeonholed to a specific age group & vice versa. Once the music stops moving you, or you're dead, then you're too old.

scenicworld
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
If any of you are the dude with gray hair and a baseball cap that was getting down at madness near me, you're awesome.

cosmia
04-23-2012, 09:31 PM
i went with my 48 year old dad and we enjoy a lot of the same stuff. he was mostly looking forward to Gotye, Bon Iver and Feist. so he's a cool guy to have around.

welovephoenix
04-24-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm 33 this was my 3rd coachella I've never felt old. Given I don't look my age and sometime don't act it lol. Yes there are a lot of kids that will ask how old you are but once they know they think it's awesome that our haven't turned into a fuddy duddy?

Ravingmad
04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Another 30+ guy here. I think a lot of the Coachella "vets" probably are older at this point, considering how long it's been going on. I had kind of a Coachella mid-life crisis a couple years ago when I realized I didn't really fit in with high-school crowd in the Sahara anymore. Then I quit caring. Now I just cruise around and see whatever I want to see and I'm happy. Oddly enough, I think this made me fit in everywhere again. I went into the recharge tent to charge my phone a little and one of the girls working there asked me if I was Datsik (they were waiting on him to show up for photos), so I guess I don't LOOK that old yet.

I did see a lot of older folks in the Sahara this year, I thought -- like 25-35ish (which isn't really old but a few years back I swear everyone in there was 14).

I think the only time you don't fit in is if you are trying too hard to be like the kids, or if you're super self-conscious. Or if you're 30+ and creeping on the young girls in bikinis, don't be that guy. If you're there and just having a good time and enjoying the music, it doesn't matter who you are, I think. Although I don't camp anymore, I'm too old for that shit :)

dave23
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm 42 and had a great time. Yes, I was older than most but never felt or was ever made to feel old. The people at Coachella are fucking great and anyone who thinks that the younger generation is filled with a bunch of ADHD-inflicted narcissists are narrow-minded fools. (That observation is subject to change when I read the snark here and on Brooklyn Vegan.)

I have a feeling I'd feel a bit more out of it if I had camped, but that's fine. And my only old-guy negative perspective was wondering why people choose to take shitty photos and videos of the acts rather than simply experiencing it directly. (There wasn't much of that, fortunately.)

Highlights:
Radiohead
Gary Clark
M. Ward
Jeff Mangum
St. Vincent
Tuneyards
Amon Tobin
DJ Shadow
Girl Talk (my favorite surprise)
Gaslamp Killer

Disappointments:
Kasabian (overrated Britpop)
Swedish Fish Mafia (I don't think I'd like them even if I were on E)
Frank Ocean (I thought he'd be weirder, less contemporary R&B)
Bon Iver (I like his music, but I kept thinking of Dave Matthews during his set)
Florence (two years ago she was great, now a second-rate, egocentric Stevie)

algunz
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM

There were a lot of people after your ass this year. :winkiss

Narvon
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM

This.

Year 9 for me and I'm 49. You're complaining about 30!?! I started at 40. I enjoy going to all the different stages, even the Sahara. Who cares what some teenager thinks.

This year at the Mojave during Kasabian a girl in her 20's asked to take a photo with me. After she took the photo my buddies, looking very perplexed, asked what was up with that? I told them, "My ego wants to believe a cute girl half my age thinks I'm hot, but reality is she probably didn't expect to see someone 'So Old' having a good time". She probably wanted to show her friends that anyone of any age can have a good time.

Just to add. I enjoy the old and new bands. I saw DEVO with 'X' in Long Beach, New Years Eve 79'-80'. 30 years later, I got to see them again here at Coachella. Can't ever forget these kinds of moments.

Enjoy the time you have here and don't worry about how OLD you are. You sound a bit silly to us OLD people whom still feel young. Ha.

Narvon
04-24-2012, 09:50 PM
1981 here. I think my age just gives me a feeling that spending money to stay in a hotel is justified. :) Last year some 18 year old from LA told me with a grossed-out look on her face that I didn't look 30. Thanks?

I graduated from High School in 81' too!! :thu

threeve
04-25-2012, 05:49 AM
I graduated from High School in 81' too!! :thu

Awww... yeah... that's totally what I meant :p ;)

joshc
04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
I started going to Coachella in 2004 when I was in my mid-twenties and have only begrudgingly missed a few festivals since. I guess that the number of nostalgia headliners helps to keep the age range diverse enough that I'm not feeling ancient (yet).

tsmith1091
04-25-2012, 09:05 AM
37. Sometimes I felt like an old dude surrounded by kids, but other times I felt like I was totally among my peers. If anything, it seemed like most of the other people watching the Buzzcocks were a few years older than me. I got the impression most older folks were staying offsite and didn't bother showing up until it started cooling off around 5:00. I don't think I ever made it within 50 feet of the Sahara tent.

Tikiman
04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Okay, so my knees are still killing me from this last weekend, but since I'm 50 and know I can outdance most 20 year olds I'm impressed with myself. For many years I fit the "to insecure to dance" personality so I would just stand there rocking my head. Now that I'm older I quit giving a shit and just go fucking spastic during good music. I went fucking nuts during Modeselektor, Beats Antique, and Radiohead among others. It's the relieving thing about getting old; losing that insecure state of mind. I just walk around knowing people think I'm old, but not giving a shit since I'm aware that unlike the majority of people there I've at seen some of the greatest musical acts in the world (how many of you were at the forum when Led Zeppelin played there?) and have been a fan of music since I first heard the Beatles when I was young (saw them sitting on my Dad's shoulders, but all I remember is screaming girls). Music is ageless and until arthritis takes over I plan on dancing until then.

TomAz
04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
the Beatles were sitting on your Dad's shoulders?

Pixiessp
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
37. Sometimes I felt like an old dude surrounded by kids, but other times I felt like I was totally among my peers. If anything, it seemed like most of the other people watching the Buzzcocks were a few years older than me. I got the impression most older folks were staying offsite and didn't bother showing up until it started cooling off around 5:00 I don't think I ever made it within 50 feet of the Sahara tent.

I was there by noon all 3 days.
Honestly, I cannot believe all you people. You act like you're ready to lie down and die. Who the fuck cares how old you are. If you continue to
talk yourselves into thinking you're old, you will be old and I'll be at Coachella while you're taking your heart meds.

dave23
04-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Good post by an older guy who went and had a great time.

http://mattydread.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/an-old-guy-visits-coachella-and-loves-it-heres-why/

aphrael
04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Honestly, I cannot believe all you people. You act like you're ready to lie down and die. Who the fuck cares how old you are. If you continue to
talk yourselves into thinking you're old, you will be old and I'll be at Coachella while you're taking your heart meds.

heh.

i was in by noon on friday, 2 on saturday, and 2 on sunday, although i did take a long ass drink-with-my-friends break on sunday. i was also camping.

but it would be foolish to not be aware that my body reacts to this differently than it did in 2006.

TomAz
04-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Good post by an older guy who went and had a great time.

http://mattydread.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/an-old-guy-visits-coachella-and-loves-it-heres-why/

This guy makes good points and yet misses the point entirely. He loves Coachella because it's well run. Hardly a peep about the music or the atmosphere. THIS IS NOT MBA CAMP.

Lynn163
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
This.

Year 9 for me and I'm 49. You're complaining about 30!?! I started at 40. I enjoy going to all the different stages, even the Sahara. Who cares what some teenager thinks.

This year at the Mojave during Kasabian a girl in her 20's asked to take a photo with me. After she took the photo my buddies, looking very perplexed, asked what was up with that? I told them, "My ego wants to believe a cute girl half my age thinks I'm hot, but reality is she probably didn't expect to see someone 'So Old' having a good time". She probably wanted to show her friends that anyone of any age can have a good time.

Just to add. I enjoy the old and new bands. I saw DEVO with 'X' in Long Beach, New Years Eve 79'-80'. 30 years later, I got to see them again here at Coachella. Can't ever forget these kinds of moments.

Enjoy the time you have here and don't worry about how OLD you are. You sound a bit silly to us OLD people whom still feel young. Ha.

Nice!

ivankay
04-25-2012, 02:36 PM

i am flattered, but won't believe this.

GuyInTucson
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM

This is why you are one of my favorite people on this board.

Miroir Noir
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
This guy makes good points and yet misses the point entirely. He loves Coachella because it's well run. Hardly a peep about the music or the atmosphere. THIS IS NOT MBA CAMP.

My favorite part of the festival every year is when I fall backwards off of a picnic table and you guys all catch me with your interlocked arms as a part of a trust-building exercise.

TomAz
04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
My favorite part of the festival every year is when I fall backwards off of a picnic table and you guys all catch me with your interlocked arms as a part of a trust-building exercise.

Yeah. sorry about dropping bob. hopefully she'll recover soon.

Miroir Noir
04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Bruises heal, but a breach of trust doesn't.

psychic friend
04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
im older than 30 and i was there! i feel so included. :lips

MetaAlchemist
04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm 40 and plan on going till I'm on deaths door. I really don't give a fuck what people think.

artisticcreator
04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
We are old but young at heart with our wonderful Coachella!

Nikita
04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
I knew I was seasoned when I realized that I've been listening to DRE for over 24 years....hahahahaha. My Buddy turns to me and says We are old bitches now!!! hahaha--39 this summer... I felt like a twelve year old laughing with my friends this weekend! God willing, I will be running across the polo fields until I drop dead and go to the BIG polo fields in the sky : ) This year was awesome and I am so grateful for every year.

Pixiessp
04-25-2012, 11:15 PM
This is why you are one of my favorite people on this board.

:pulse :pulse :pulse

dave23
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM

I believe the post was deliberately focused on that because it's rarely discussed.

faxman75
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
36 and camp every year. I know people who say they feel old but I never have. We'll see if that changes in a decade.

Cactuskev
05-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Life's too damn short to worry about what people think!

The first time I went, it was like I had been separated from my tribe at birth and then reunited at Coachella - these were my people! This year I went to both weekends with a crazy three night stay in Vegas in between. 12 straight days of hedonistic fun!

I chilled in the grass for some acts, had the rail for others, danced for hours on end in the Sahara, partied till sunrise almost every night, cooked lots of yummy food for my neighbors, saw LOTS AND LOTS of music, gave away Coachella necklaces that I made for the festival to random strangers and just completely reveled in the vibe.

Got my tickets for 2013 and can not wait - I hope I can go every year until I die.

51 and counting!

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I was less tired after 2 Coachellas at 30 years old than I was after my very first "single" day of Coachella when I was 23. Plan on keeping on getting better with age & more Coachellas!

TheMadeleine
05-26-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm 30, and everyone in my extended Coachella family is within a few years of my age (in both directions). The crowd this year did seem a bit young to me at times. Personally, I have tons of energy, and it felt great to scream with pride when Snoop & Dre asked the crowd who had been listening to them for 20 years :)

TomAz
05-26-2012, 08:20 AM
in both directions

TheMadeleine
05-26-2012, 01:18 PM
in both directions

i.e. 25-35 :thu

gaypalmsprings
05-26-2012, 01:39 PM
The crowd always gets younger as we get older.

http://favim.com/orig/201104/28/Favim.com-27192.jpg

travelfan
05-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Hah, I was going to post that I saw this guy this year. Shirt was sort of defensive, and hence perhaps stems from insecurity, but I thought it was rad.

I'm only 24 and there were times when I felt old in the Sahara...that thing has just fallen apart, even from what it was last year. That being said, I thought it was rad that there were so many people in their 30s/40s/50s (and some even older) at the festival. I think the fact that there is such a wide variety of choices means that some acts are going to skew heavily toward one age group vs. another.

I think the only time I'd roll my eyes at somebody older is if they are trying too hard to be "hip" or desperately creeping on really young girls (read: different from the older guys that can still get any girl they want). But frankly, I don't think I saw that once this year. I think the Coachella crowd (minus choice college age idiots) are pretty sure of themselves and who they are.

My last thought is that I do fear that the increasing "trendiness", for lack of a better word, is going to mean smaller and smaller crowds for some of the marquee reunions. For example, sure Pulp is great, but at 24 they just don't have that nostalgic appeal to me that would mean missing something else I want to see, and I consider myself more open minded to music than many of my 20 something peers that "rage" at Coachella. A festival that skews too young in attendance may mean ridiculously small crowds for some huge gets. I think there is a reason that both Pulp and Mazzy Star had some major stages shut down for them.

dekelou
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
...Personally, I have tons of energy, and it felt great to scream with pride when Snoop & Dre asked the crowd who had been listening to them for 20 years :)

QFT

jimjammin
05-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm 33, and I would like to extend a HUGE middle finger to anyone who makes me feel like I don't belong... My age only means I've been cooler much longer than you 20 year old fucks

sassypants
05-30-2012, 06:09 PM
My first Coachella was a month after I turned 30 and now 6 years later...

The only year it seemed like the age groups trended in a certain direction was in 2009 when Paul McCartney played... definitely an older crowd.

TomAz
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
a HUGE middle finger

jimovercompensatin

JessCA
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Cheers to that! I'm in my 30's as well. :)

Fuck that. I'm 30...but my heart says i'm 12

VOLVOX17
04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
where is everyone?

arthurbang
04-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm still here. Still going to Coachella every year. Wish I was there this weekend, but will be attending next week instead.

SEEDYMIG420
04-13-2013, 02:04 AM
This will be my 11th Coachella('01,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11,'12w k2,'13wk2). Camping since '09. I'm 39yrs, I work hard.....I party insanely!!! Can out drink, out drug intake, out dance any 20something any day, any night, any time. This year I'll be attending with a nice sized group. My buddy(41yrs), his fiance(36yrs), another buddy(38yrs), sister#1(36yrs),sister#2(26yrs)<---baby sis. We are all Coachella vets, except sister#2...it's her 1st. Age ain't nothing but a number.

djbionik
04-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Woo wee! I'm 31 and this will be my 7th? Coachella. It only gets better and better.

kesial3
04-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Proud to be 35 at Coachella this year! This will be my third year and I plan to have a blast! Every year seems to bring a young and younger crowd, but who cares :) I'm just glad to know I'll be prepared to enjoy the music and dance my ass off. Weekend 2 here I come! Heading up early to get a camp spot at the front cause veterans know :) We've the experience ladies and gents! Lets show these youngins how it's DONE :D

Banker by Day
04-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm 40 and this will be my third Coachella. Too old? Nope and won't be at 50 either.

MantisMel
04-13-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm 30 and this will be my 12th Coachella. Im taking my little brother as a birthday/christmas gift. He just turned 22! Just thinking he was only 10 when I went to my first Coachella!

arthurbang
04-13-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm 40 and this will be my third Coachella. Too old? Nope and won't be at 50 either.

You're never too old!

rachiepepper
04-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I was 23 at my first Coachella in '03. I remember seeing older people and thinking how I hoped I would be that awesome when I got to that age. This Coachella I'll be 33! Those kids gotta remember that if it wasn't for us vets they might not have had a Coachella to go to today.

DolphinGirl
04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Proud to be 35 at Coachella this year! This will be my third year and I plan to have a blast! Every year seems to bring a young and younger crowd, but who cares :) I'm just glad to know I'll be prepared to enjoy the music and dance my ass off. Weekend 2 here I come! Heading up early to get a camp spot at the front cause veterans know :) We've the experience ladies and gents! Lets show these youngins how it's DONE :D

All of this! Heading up early Thursday myself, there will be a few of us in our 30's camping. We'll show the kids how to do Coachella the right way! :)

negaverse
04-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Just finished my 3rd Coachella at 35, and boy am I feeling it today on this Monday! This will probably be my last one. The Stone Roses and Blur were the only bands that could have made me go again. The last time I went was 2006. And yes...the crowd do seem to be getting younger and younger and there is no shortage of substances that's for sure!

frizbee9
04-15-2013, 10:40 AM
the past 3 years have been thought provoking for me with the crowd age demographics. the first day comes and i see tons of younger people and i start to think to myself, maybe i'm passed this phase, maybe it's time to let this go, and make way for the young bucks. i camp every year, and most of my friends who still go have long since abandoned camping for the condos and hotels. i kinda view camping and the show as one thing - they go together and i can't see myself going to coachella without camping for some reason.

having said that, we had some wasted kid piss on our tent friday night when we were already in it (i could hear the pee on the tent wall) & when i woke up i got bit by these nasty little ants. the porta potties are nasty as hell as usual and the shower situation has devolved every year to the point that i don't even bother with a shower anymore (it seemed to work so much better from '05-08). all this in combination with a companion that reallllly has to be convinced to go camping, & i would say that it pushed me further to the edge than i've ever been at coachella.

but a funny thing happened yesterday on that 3rd day. i had one of those moments with the music where i i realized there is nowhere else i would want to be no matter what. a gradual happiness that made me smile and reflect in a positive way that i won't have at any other concert this year.

i realize that i'm miserable at work today, but i'll be there next year all the same.