PDA

View Full Version : 2 Simple Questions about Car Camping

meshblorg
04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
1. Is there a store on the campgrounds stocked with bags of ICE that I can buy everyday to keep the food in my cooler refrigerated?

2. Where do people charge their phones?

sddoctor
04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
1. Yes, the general store stocks ice, but can be pricey. Also, there is a shuttle that runs to the local Ralph's, where the ice is cheaper.

2. Charging stations can be found on Camping and Festival grounds. Also, plenty of people bring their own power supply, such as batteries, solar chargers, car chargers.

billtino
04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
1. Yes, the general store stocks ice, but can be pricey. Also, there is a shuttle that runs to the local Ralph's, where the ice is cheaper.

Ralph's Ice is cheaper, but you have to plan ahead. Make sure this isn't the only thing you are going to Ralph's for or it will be a waste on an hour or more of your day.....and being that we will be in the 100s this weekend. your cheaper ice may be melted by the time you get back to your campsite too. my guess is most will pay the premium prices at the Gen Store. I know I will.

sddoctor
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
i go with dry ice, and stock up before I go in...works for days.

meshblorg
04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
i go with dry ice, and stock up before I go in...works for days.

Dry ice sounds genius. Does it mix well with regular ice? Or should I only do one or the other?

Stickjohn
04-17-2012, 11:30 AM
good thread http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?54706-Dry-Ice-Strategy

vfcali
04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
good thread http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?54706-Dry-Ice-Strategy

@StickJohn, always so helpful! You're one of the consistently informative people on the forums without too much snark and no assholishness. Thank you for being that way!

tharris
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Dry ice on the bottom, then normal ice on top of that, food/beer/etc then a layer of ice to cover everything lasted us all weekend. Bags of ice are $10 at the festival.

The charging stations suck. A lot of the outlets were broken and the phones charged sooo slow. There is sometimes a line to use it too. We wound up just turning on the car for 15 minutes and charging that way. Keep your phone in airplane mode when you can to conserve battery.

Majour
04-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Before you go to the gen. store to get the ice, consider how far your camp site is and how you'll get the ice back.

If you're planning to buy more than a few bags and the walk is more than 5 mins, then 1 person on foot is a pain in the ass. Multiple ice bags are heavy and effin cold. Bring a towel long, or your empty cooler if it has wheels on it.